Quantcast

@Biology Lesson You've reminded me why I like Robbers so much with that clip of Oh Joon.  Personally I feel for one to enjoy Robbers, you've got to focus on his expressions, which changes very subtly from one emotion to another.  I was esp moved in one scene where Oh Joon sat in his car after he had successful cheated the FL of her money.  By that time he had already fallen in love with her but had gone ahead to cheat her anyway because of his circumstances.  The struggle he felt was wonderfully portrayed by JH.  And when he went back to the thugs to take back her money... oh I don't even know how to describe it, but i felt him.  

Robbers hold a special place in my heart because it made me realized the wide acting range of JH and his expressions.  Chuno introduced me to JH, but Robbers is the drama that get me hooked to JH. 

Now I know what to re-watch while waiting for his next project...

• Like 4
  • Love 1

@AgnesO That scene you described was also one of my favorites and I remember appreciating it more on rewatch. I agree with everything you said. 

@Biology Lesson @azureblue7 I read the Volcano High article with a translation app and 1) I really need to learn korean 2) I wish JH would write more like this :P

Wow! It opened my eyes to him a little more. Of course that was young JH, pre girlfriend, pre military service scandal, pre so many things, in a way a “different” person. But this humanized him so much for me. His Volcano High experience sounds like a brutal bootcamp. I guess it traumatized him but also taught him a lot. My heart broke a little when he said he couldn’t go to the hospital, every time he talked about his physical pain but also whenever he expressed guilt for delaying this production and Jungle Juice production. When he said he was in such a condition he didn’t know he’d be able to shoot more. His stress level was immense, the torture was not just physical but psychological. But he took it as “learning experience”. 

His candid comment that he hated the director many times, the fact that he was drinking a lot too (with so much stress no wonder, but it also made me think, he likely wasn’t as disciplined yet as he is now, and definitely not as strong, so this whole ordeal was naturally tougher on his body) 

It was so interesting! But there are many parts I couldn’t interpret. Must learn korean! 

P.S I don’t feel too much like watching VH but I want to find the scene he described where he almost drowned

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson @azureblue7 I read the Volcano High article with a translation app and 1) I really need to learn korean 2) I wish JH would write more like this :P

That's exactly what I was thinking- I need to learn Korean! Mostly for his spoken interview. Right now I came across this part of this interview in which JH spoke about the whole army thing, and I wish I could understand what he was saying! I've never seen an interview in which he spoke about that for long. Also, since the way speaks is so special, it seems translations don't come close to convey his actual meaning and tone. So, I need to learn Korean, too!

Wow! It opened my eyes to him a little more. Of course that was young JH, pre girlfriend, pre military service scandal, pre so many things, in a way a “different” person. But this humanized him so much for me. His Volcano High experience sounds like a brutal bootcamp. I guess it traumatized him but also taught him a lot. My heart broke a little when he said he couldn’t go to the hospital, every time he talked about his physical pain but also whenever he expressed guilt for delaying this production and Jungle Juice production. When he said he was in such a condition he didn’t know he’d be able to shoot more. His stress level was immense, the torture was not just physical but psychological. But he took it as “learning experience”. 

His candid comment that he hated the director many times, the fact that he was drinking a lot too (with so much stress no wonder, but it also made me think, he likely wasn’t as disciplined yet as he is now, and definitely not as strong, so this whole ordeal was naturally tougher on his body) 

I can't imagine the amount of pain he probably was in. For sure he had at least bruised or even broken ribs from being slammed against that Bamboo.I wish I understood more cause it seems like he said that as a certain moment he simply collapsed? Something about mud? Just crazy... And that director- I hate him too!

As to his drinking, I think he got disciplined about that kinda recently. I remember he told a story in bar life about how he nearly died because he passed out drunk on the tracks (of a train? I don't remember), and that he woke up at the last moment when he saw the lights of the coming vehicle. I think it's not so much about discipline as it is about Korean culture. I understood that it is considered rude not to drink alcohol when you go out, so maybe he doesn't feel like he has a choice...

Whenever I see an interview with JH's young self, I feel sorry for him, cause he has no idea what he is about to experience! But when I see him acting all cool and hip in some of those early interviews, I thank god he went through those things as they slammed him back to the ground and made him lose that budding attitude! Sorry for him, but not so much :) 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AgnesO said:

@Biology Lesson You've reminded me why I like Robbers so much with that clip of Oh Joon.  Personally I feel for one to enjoy Robbers, you've got to focus on his expressions, which changes very subtly from one emotion to another.  I was esp moved in one scene where Oh Joon sat in his car after he had successful cheated the FL of her money.  By that time he had already fallen in love with her but had gone ahead to cheat her anyway because of his circumstances.  The struggle he felt was wonderfully portrayed by JH.  And when he went back to the thugs to take back her money... oh I don't even know how to describe it, but i felt him.  

Robbers hold a special place in my heart because it made me realized the wide acting range of JH and his expressions.  Chuno introduced me to JH, but Robbers is the drama that get me hooked to JH. 

Now I know what to re-watch while waiting for his next project...

I'm kinda fighting myself as to not to rewatch Robbers as I already did a few months ago :)

I agree, that scene of him trying to behave like he always did after his scammed someone and not succeeding is just phenomenal. This is what I love about JH! Those scenes of conflicting emotions! There are so many great scenes in Robbers... Another great scene was the pork soup scene. That was so heartbreaking! and I loved how he broke when Dal Rey called. It made me understand why he fell in love with her and why he needed her, something that Chuno, for instance, never did. This is why I hate Voice, cause Voice never gave me those moments. Never allowed JH to explore the depth of his character. This is why I wish he will get another chance with OHJ, to really explore him.

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson Yes, I agree, but was he really that “hip and cool”? He sounds like he always struggled to me. Like I don’t know if he was actually confident and while he must’ve gotten a lot of encouragement from friends and mentors he also got a lot of scolding and guilt. This director seems to be a special breed of sadist but I feel like this “tough love” kind of thing is part of korean culture too. Jang Hyuk was told by someone in Sidus that he was not “as handsome as Jung Woo Sung, not as funny as Cha Tae Hyun and not as talented as one of the dragon brothers, the one who worked with him in Robbers (forgot his name) therefore he had to work extra to carve his place in the industry. He has also spoken about seniors treating him harshly (hence why he tries to be nice to juniors and I love him for that)  and about having a panic attack while filming Dance of the Dragon. I think he is much more sensitive and anxious that he lets on, he just keeps it inside and endures it (especially in the past) He used to smoke above average levels too (based on an account by a reporter) but he is also someone who is very determined to overcome weaknesses and hardships. He has a very strong will (I want some of that) 

I think his “tough” cool bad boy attitude of his youth was probably just a mask. 

I do feel like he is more confident and at peace now. More comfortable in his own skin. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Yes, I agree, but was he really that “hip and cool”? He sounds like he always struggled to me. Like I don’t know if he was actually confident and while he must’ve gotten a lot of encouragement from friends and mentors he also got a lot of scolding and guilt. This director seems to be a special breed of sadist but I feel like this “tough love” kind of thing is part of korean culture too. Jang Hyuk was told by someone in Sidus that he was not “as handsome as Jung Woo Sung, not as funny as Cha Tae Hyun and not as talented as one of the dragon brothers, the one who worked with him in Robbers (forgot his name) therefore he had to work extra to carve his place in the industry. He has also spoken about seniors treating him harshly (hence why he tries to be nice to juniors and I love him for that)  and about having a panic attack while filming Dance of the Dragon. I think he is much more sensitive and anxious that he lets on, he just keeps it inside and endures it (especially in the past) He used to smoke above average levels too (based on an account by a reporter) but he is also someone who is very determined to overcome weaknesses and hardships. He has a very strong will (I want some of that) 

I do feel like he is more confident and at peace now. 

I think he spoke about how he changed after the army, about not recognizing the guy he was before. He said that in one of the interviews before the army, he literally chased the reporters after the interview ended, telling them that he had more to say! He was shocked by his own behavior, saying something like "who behaves like that?!". I think at the time before the army, even though he was still his shy and sweet self underneath, he was trying to behave like what he thought stars would behave like- remember the story about wearing a sweatshirt with a teddy bear on it to an award show? :). I think he was trying to pretend to be this confident and outgoing guy.  Meaning- he was well on his way to becoming an obnoxious wanna-be star! :) probably that was what led to his decision to cheat his way out of the army... 

As to what he was being told by that person from Sidus- that's plain nasty! Then again, at the time he actually wasn't that handsome... kinda reminded me of a troll in the way his head would constantly be leaning forward and his mouth almost always open... :) I never said this, but I kinda understand why it took his wife so long to warm up to him... him wearing tights in her Pilates lesson probably didn't help :D. But he was persistent, and she was eventually rewarded for being able to see beyond his looks at the time, wasn't she? 

As to his acting, he admitted to being horribly nervous in Model and to messing up a lot, and his teaching coach said that JH was bad in the beginning. I think his nervousness comes from his need to be good at everything he does. He's something of a perfectionist... He is a great demonstration of what hard work can do!

There are many actors that maybe would be considered better actors than him, but that's all they bring to a role. Also, many times great actors tend to be completely empty, which it why they can inhabit any role (remember Kevin Spacey?!).  JH is not empty, obviously. He also brings his insights into a role and his own ideas, which is why he is so much more interesting to me than any other, more "talented", actor. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

@Biology Lesson ROTFL! I didn’t know that anecdote of him chasing after the reporter :lol: how embarrassing! *sigh* it made me think of my own obnoxious younger self lolol 

I think what you say makes a lot of sense

And I agree that he wasn’t a “prodigy” or a “born actor”,  he needed to learn and be polished (evident in SSGB where he was horribly OTT but had those good scenes that revealed his potential. I also liked him a lot in Daemang) but he was nowhere near the actor he is now

Awww ok ok I agree he looked atrocious in VH and TJ phase but this boy was cute , come on. I’d pinch his chubby cheeks

20140319-005234.jpg

He was compared with JWS, called young JWS and his nickname in school was “white girl” cause he was actually pretty. I think his features were considered pretty already. But JWS was a “taller”, older (manlier) version. So what they meant to say wasn’t “You are ugly” but more like “You got looks, but nothing extraordinary”, “There’s nothing special about you so you have to work harder” etc A harsh, humbling but ultimately maybe helpful statement. 

It’s also one thing to be pretty in real life and another to be pretty in entertainment industry (where everyone is above average pretty) 

P.S We’ve talked about this before, I don’t excuse him for trying to dodge MS but it was standard practice at the time in k-ent. As @fiesty8001 reminded us, Sidus not only encouraged it, they collected the fake sample themselves, the actors never blamed them but there was testimony about this. JH and the other actors covered for Sidus and this is why Sidus returned the “loyalty”. Remember this was young JH, he did not have the strength and clout he has now. It’s the same young man who allowed VH director to throw him through the air like a rag doll and almost kill him. Just saying that there were other factors at play here, not just his bad decision. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson ROTFL! I didn’t know that anecdote of him chasing after the reporter :lol: how embarrassing! *sigh* it made me think of my own obnoxious younger self lolol 

I think what you say makes a lot of sense

And I agree that he wasn’t a “prodigy” or a “born actor”,  he needed to learn and be polished (evident in SSGB where he was horribly OTT but had those good scenes that revealed his potential. I also liked him a lot in Daemang) but he was nowhere near the actor he is now

Awww ok ok I agree he looked atrocious in VH and TJ phase but this boy was cute , come on. I’d pinch his chubby cheeks

Oh, I agree! He was actually gorgeous in Model, in the pictures that I've seen. But in the years later he kinda got chubbier and odd looking. I wonder if that was intentional, cause he did say that his face blocked from getting roles, and after his appearance changed he got quirkier roles, and he did find moderate success. I think the show in which his looks went back to a classier handsome appearance was Daemang... interesting!

He was compared with JWS, called young JWS and his nickname in school was “white girl” cause he was actually pretty. I think his features were considered pretty already. But JWS was a “taller”, older (manlier) version. So what they meant to say wasn’t “You are ugly” but more like “You got looks, but nothing extraordinary”, “There’s nothing special about you so you have to work harder” etc A harsh, humbling but ultimately maybe helpful statement. 

Not sure saying things like that is very helpful... But it could be what cause his appearance change to goofier look...

Ha! Look what I found! :) Notice the difference in expressions? This is something I noticed about JH. He doesn't have that reserved expression that is kinda saying "I'm above you". Always, in interviews, in official events, with friends or with fans, he always seems sincere. His expression simply expresses how he feels, if it's shyness (most of the time :) ) , affection or seriousness. No pretense. 

Prettysup on Twitter: "Jang Hyuk with friends at the 54th Baeksang ...

It’s also one thing to be pretty in real life and another to be pretty in entertainment industry (where everyone is above average pretty)

And then our "ugly duckling" became this guy... (obviously much sooner that this :D I just love his look here) I wonder how many people had to eat their words in the following years... 

Stars Rock The Red Carpet At 2018 MAMA Fans' Choice in Japan ...

P.S We’ve talked about this before, I don’t excuse him for trying to dodge MS but it was standard practice at the time in k-ent. As @fiesty8001 reminded us, Sidus not only encouraged it, they collected the fake sample themselves, the actors never blamed them but there was testimony about this. JH and the other actors covered for Sidus and this is why Sidus returned the “loyalty”. Remember this was young JH, he did not have the strength and clout he has now. It’s the same young man who allowed VH director to throw him through the air like a rag doll and almost kill him. Just saying that there were other factors at play here, not just his bad decision.

Agreed. Also, don't forget his parents. I'm sure they also noticed he wasn't enlisting...

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 3/29/2020 at 5:40 AM, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Here is another video. My goodness, if he spent months filming this, no wonder he felt it was too long. It looks like physical torture. I’m really a bit shocked. I had heard about this but never actually saw the footage myself. I believe Christine uploaded only today. Here you can see him losing consciousness again. 

And another video which seems to be narrated by JH

I haven't been on this side of forum in a while so not sure about other video before, but I'm assuming maybe this one.  Volcano High was not really my type of movie, but I did appreciate him more after seeing this.  When he say doesn't matter how much he gets hurt, I really worry for him.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, yoeda said:

I don't watch contagion but ppl keep mentioning this since Covid outbreak beside The Flu. I assume it's another Korean movie. Now, I know it's a Hollywood movie. :sweatingbullets:

http://koalasplayground.com/2020/03/30/infectious-disease-movies-contagion-and-the-flu-top-streaming-during-worldwide-worry-over-covid-19/

Yeah I think people are leaning towards these type of movies as they provide some catharsis. 

@phoenix24 Look for the other video, its even more scary 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Jang Hyuk was told by someone in Sidus that he was not “as handsome as Jung Woo Sung, not as funny as Cha Tae Hyun and not as talented as one of the dragon brothers, the one who worked with him in Robbers (forgot his name) therefore he had to work extra to carve his place in the industry. He has also spoken about seniors treating him harshly (hence why he tries to be nice to juniors and I love him for that)  and about having a panic attack while filming Dance of the Dragon.

I checked this JWS, yes, nice ahjussi, but really pales compared to the picture posted by @Biology Lesson:

Stars Rock The Red Carpet At 2018 MAMA Fans' Choice in Japan ...

I was following your discussion re: Volcano High dangerous filming and I was really shocked. When I hear stories like that I always ask myself, why some people do it? I understand that he was a young struggling actor, so he was really trying to survive /break into the entertainment inustry  but he could have been killed or crippled! It sounded like a horror story and I want PD punished for his brutality, but I am sure he did not suffer any consequences. And you say JH worked with him again????

@dramafan33, I watched the entire frst ep of Robbers. I was not bored. Oppa had a shirtless scene. He looks sooooo young! But OMG, wasn't our oppa beaten into a pulp. And I understand that this continues throughout the series? He is beaten and in pain? :tears:.

But all in all, I prefer his more mature look. He reminded me of Hyun Bin in "My lovely Kim Sam Soon" - the same long spiky hair and chubby face. Someone said in the thread for CLOY that Hyun Bin matures like a fine wine - I think the same may be said about JH, when I see him in Robbers and TMWYS/MF - his features now are more defined and eyes more piercing - not all men age nicely, but he definitely does.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

@corey Totally agree that he is aging like a fine wine. He keeps getting handsomer and handsomer :wub:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

To a certain extent, I am happy he got discovered, trying to dodge military service. Just imagine if he wasn't caught, he might not have become who he is today. He might still be the person running after the reporters to say he hasn't finished talking. He might be the kind of person who thinks money settles problems. He might be an arrogant person when he attained some wealth & popularity.  However, the discovery of him trying to dodge military puts him back onto ground zero.

But the sad thing is, the public is non forgiving. But the public has forgotten that everyone of us (even if not 100% of us, at least 99% of us) have 1 time or another in our youth made bad decisions, bad choices, bad mistakes. So why do we always harp on people's mistakes & not looking at ours instead? I think JH had said before that this scandal he had to carry it for the rest of his life. Why? He had already paid for his mistakes.

• Like 3

I think young Hyuk was very innocent and quite funny..haha. I remembered Danny Ahn (g.o.d. member) telling funny stories about Hyuk in his younger days during a Chuno interview. Chasing after a ball and diving into a shallow pool hitting his nose or something..:lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Some summer beach pics from Westwood

91009501_1618777641631225_54192739503644

91634296_1618777664964556_74753754947628

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, ocean, sky, beach, water, outdoor and nature

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

@Prettysup, I think JH has never looked better than these Westwood pictures. And I believe it is you who wants him to cut his hair !!!!!

Edit: I just saw this blue flowery pyjamas. Noooooo! What sort of garment is that supposed to be!!!! Yick! RUined my daily Hyuk experience. :angry:

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

31 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Some summer beach pics from Westwood

91634296_1618777664964556_74753754947628

What on earth is that?! If you wear something like that, you've got to be more playful! JH with his serious sexy look, wearing that funny outfit...:D

• LOL 5

34 minutes ago, corey said:

Edit: I just saw this blue flowery pyjamas. Noooooo! What sort of garment is that supposed to be!!!! Yick! RUined my daily Hyuk experience. :angry:

I saw nothin wrong? :D Focus on the face dear. I think it's more like summer Hawaiian style.

• LOL 3