36 minutes ago, Sushimi said:

I don't deem it as liking the show. It's more on being acceptable in terms of the story flow. I don't hate it or like it too much either. Of cause the writing could have been extended for the characters, but for an ocn drama. It's okay. It's a mutual level for me with this series.^_^ 

Voice series tbh, was those kinds of dramas that i wouldn't watch because of that fantasy part of being able to hear is so unbelievable...But then again thought the poster looks interesting. Ultimately, i gave it a 50/50 after finishing. 

The reason people persist with a show changes. Some can't move beyond a look, and some can't move beyond a premise. It's fine- these are just shows. Being a fan of JH doesn't obligate us to nothing.

I can say that I watched Voice till the end, but because there was no personal connection between any of the characters- I couldn't care less about it. Add to that that I couldn't stand the fl lead- her acting and, ironically, voice ( :) ) really annoyed me. Also, I thought the premise of the show was idiotic- her superhuman hearing could have been easily replaced with a really good microphone and sound processing software. It probably would have been much better than her, as she was completely useless at times, as when JH's character was being kidnapped and she could clearly hear grunts, yells and glass smashing (no super human hearing required for that), and all she did was stand there, looking baffled. God, I ended up hating her face for that baffled look! And that was my main problem with Voice- that in order to drag out the main plot, our two "brilliant detectives"  made so many mistakes, acted so stupidly, that I ended up hating this show. And finally, I love JH's acting. I love his ability to emote and create a character that evolves. Since this show gave me nothing of that, I felt like my time was being wasted. But that is just me. 

Obviously, there are JH shows that I didn't even finish- like Tazza and WOL. It took me several episodes, not just 15 minutes, but eventually I stopped watching. Now I've seen only JH's scenes in WOL, With Tazza I wouldn't even bother, cause I hated the stupidity of JH's character in Tazza. The only good thing about the Tazza is that it introduced JH to many actors, many of whom are his friends to this day. Chuno I fast forward through, as I can't stand the acting in the that show of anyone but JH, and the plot I thought wasn't that good...

I didn't start out as a fan of JH. I became a fan of JH due to the surprising number of his shows that I did like. From that I realized that I like his acting and his takes on a character, and, ultimately, became his fan. About Robbers- I personally think it's one of the bravest Kdramas I've ever seen and has some of JH's best acting in it, but the world will not end if you don't watch it. So, do your thing, guys... 

For instance, I saw this post of JH's expressions in one of the most amusing scenes in Robbers, the scam scene. So we see him switch from trying to look honest, to trying to signal to his scam partner what to say. A lot of subtle acting here... 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, yoeda said:

It's from Beautiful Mind PD. kind like cheating husband strong wife drama I guess.

And KBS re-airing DOTS. Watching that while surfing the net. this drama kinda unforgettable for me except the real life drama that follow after that. haha. Song Joong Ki is only flower boy that i like but not a fan of Song Hye Kyo. 

Ohhhh Beautiful Mind PD has my heart! Also, isn’t this drama based on a British drama? 

@budgerie I don’t just like JH, I LOVE JH lol and still I don’t like all his characters. I think liking all characters by any actor is impossible. 

@Biology Lesson Gosh, not only is there a lot of depth in his portrayal of Oh Joon, and expert use of facial expressions but, he looks BEAUTIFUL in that video you shared (the Pitbull soundtrack cracks me up though) 

• Like 5

@corey @Prettysup @qynn Thank you for all the suggestions. I just finished  Kingdom season 2, the cursed and still watching Nobody knows (I like the fl, she is so outstanding in Sky castle, practically stole the show. I want to see her working with Hyuk. Both of them have very intense eye acting)  But I am starting to lose interest in it..

I have no motivation to start anything new yet.. nothing interests  me so far.. still miss JH on the screen.. give me a few days to recover..:tears:lol

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

@azureblue7 I miss him too! I have been wanting to start a new drama but my heart really wants to watch him only! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Nobody knows

Funny enough NK is there on my list but I ended up stop watching it because I’m a bit confused too much things :D cannot process..I might need a board like this

8-FED96-E3-A7-ED-4-DCE-B986-0-F4-AAFF8-E
To figure things out cause everything bombarding left and right:lol:

@budgerie you know..I have an oppa that I love, his series is airing now, because it’s romance I had to turn it down:sweatingbullets: so i am with you on the idea of not watching everything oppa does. 

37 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

I have no motivation to start anything new yet.. nothing interests  me so far.. still miss JH on the screen.. give me a few days to recover..:tears:lol

Tmwys was a come back series for me after like 3 months of not watching dramas. Simply because i don’t know what to watch..it’s normal..take your time to recover. I once took a month off trying to recover cause the drama I watched was rather tragic. :mellow: (I honestly should not make myself very attached to characters or I will crash after)

46 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I think liking all characters by any actor is impossible. 

Yes indeed. I disliked those who comment on Facebook bashing people who are just stating their opinions that the artist‘s latest song is not their cup of tea. It’s as though everyone must love everything and if you don’t love it you are not one of them..The toxicity is omg... Good thing dramas are not like this...It’s much more open :lol:

• Like 5

8 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Ok, kindly remind me what else have you watched from JH? I get confused with all the stories we’ve shared. So, WOL (where you didn’t pay attention to JH), FTLY, SOGC and TMWYS is what I remember you mentioning

If you haven’t tried Money Flower or Beautiful Mind, those would be my recommendations. Also My Country (although I think you are watching that slowly) 

I have seen MF while posting my comments here just a few days ago, and we had a discussion if PJ and JMR "did it" :). Also saw BM some time ago. I am skipping MC, and I am about halfway through - still waiting for the scene when BW's headdress is hit by an arrow and his hair flows down. IS that scene even in the drama, or ended up on the cutting room floor, being the scene between the collecting BW's stepmother in episode 3 and her getting injured in ep4, where BW ends up with loose hair? I saw the headdress scene in the musical video of MC and I have been looking for this scene ever since.

2 hours ago, yoeda said:

It's from Beautiful Mind PD. kind like cheating husband strong wife drama I guess.

Ha, so this is why I like the style and have not fast-forwaarded the first two eps even once!

2 hours ago, yoeda said:

And KBS re-airing DOTS. Watching that while surfing the net. this drama kinda unforgettable for me except the real life drama that follow after that. haha. Song Joong Ki is only flower boy that i like but not a fan of Song Hye Kyo. 

Ha ha ha, DOTS, another drama that I gave up after 30 minutes or so. Not sure why, it just seemed cringey-silly to me.

2 hours ago, Sushimi said:

Ironically my most rewatched series..is a mbc rom-com:sweatingbullets:ahhh...ha...ha.....

Please do share which rom-com. I's love a recommendation.

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Sometimes I ask myelf, is it I like JH or I like the characters he plays? By right, if I like JH, I should like his acting in all his work right? But I don't. I dislike Gaekju, I dislike Robbers, I dislike WOL. Or maybe I don't dislike Oh Joon, don't dislike Bong Sam, don't dislike Chil Sung, but I really dislike the drama. Haiz...how contradicting!

I was also thinking what exactly is that I like and want to see. And I ended up thinking, I like when the characters show some emotions. Positive emotions. For example, the JH character in Robbers seem so shallow to me that despite the great acting (as pointed out by @Biology Lesson) and stunning good looks I was put off. And con men can be great character with depths (I was reminded of Sawyer in Lost in season 1). And I loved TMWYS up to about halfway throuhg the drama? When it seemed that OHY has some emptions (other than the need for revenge),  or is about to develop some? And I am even slightly bored with BW character in MC because apart from slaying his opponents to gain power, having great chemistry with Hwi and being stunningly beautiful, will there be anything more to this character  later in the series (I am at ep 8)

28 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Ohhhh Beautiful Mind PD has my heart! Also, isn’t this drama based on a British drama? 

Yes, it is apparently called Dr Foster?? If I am not mistaken

• Like 1

@corey But you haven’t really watched Robbers. I’m not saying that you should but I mean 15 minutes is hardly enough to judge a character. Oh Joon is an interesting character, he does evolve in a natural way throughout the drama. Again, if you don’t feel it, of course drop it but I’m saying 15 mins is really not enough

You’ve watched most of what I personally consider JHs best work in dramas already, so I don’t have much to recommend. I personally liked Thank You but its a very quiet, old, nostalgic, unpretentious drama so I don’t recommend it casually. I guess you need to be in a special mood. It is very heartwarming to me though. 

MC, I figured you would care about the leads so you wouldn’t be so bored :mellow:, I know some here didn’t but I found that drama engaging overall so I didn’t mind waiting for Bangwon’s appearances. To me the most important aspect is his relationship with his father. There’ll be no romance for him here (except his platonic love for Hwi :P) but remember he is only an antagonist here. And yes, the scene you described did happen. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, corey said:

. I am skipping MC, and I am about halfway through - still waiting for the scene when BW's headdress is hit by an arrow and his hair flows down. IS that scene even in the drama, or ended up on the cutting room floor, being the scene between the collecting BW's stepmother in episode 3 and her getting injured in ep4, where BW ends up with loose hair? I saw the headdress scene in the musical video of MC and I have been looking for this scene ever since.

Here's the unforgettable scene...and read one netizen's comment below.. so funny!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@dramafan33, oooh, thank you.

edit: and @azureblue7 too!

I was slowly losing hope to see this scene :).

I honestly do not know what is with me and dropping apparently good dramas so suddenly :(. I promise I will give the Robbers another go. I agree 15 minutes is not enough.

I also went through JH's work to see what is available and honestly, there is nothing that appeals to me much. I have to see the Voice to understand the strong love/hate emotions surrounding this drama, but apart from that, the shows are old. I think I will also give a go to

Tree with Deep Roots, just to see JH acting.

But I say, pls check this "The life of the married" to see if you like it. The Boocheong's mistress from MF is also there. There is not a single pretty boy in sight, ML and FL are mature in their forties.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, corey said:

Please do share which rom-com. I's love a recommendation.

Haha..I have the weirdest taste. Despite I’m known to watch dark stories, but occasionally I have set up this thing in which I will accept a rom-com once a year. FTLY took the spot this year, so probably I won’t be watching any rom-com anytime soon.:lol: 

Anyways, that rom-com that won my heart was KMHM (kill me heal me) similar to @Prettysup’s choices. I somehow like leads to have a certain handicap. It can be mentally or spiritually, they must be affected by it some way or another. So this story takes on DID and his characters are funny that’s why I ended up loving the series.

I can tell you more about my twisted ideology of what I like haha. I too also like it when I see the good guy turning evil even if it’s for just a moment. Then he starts fighting other good guys, that is the one that I love.

I watched the guest..the ending is what I love...The ML getting possessed and he is talking crap about the good guys while the good guys are trying to save him. That moment, I was like.. “Oh my god. I finally found my drama trope!”

I guess I don’t dip myself in sugar syrup because I don’t feel the sweetness most of the time in full on romance dramas..maybe I’m like OHJ in which I don’t feel..the sweetness of romance.. it is also very hard for me to feel for one character unless they mix in some elements. Which FTLY has that’s why I cried onions. 

:lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

@corey If its for JH acting, I recommend Chuno more than TWDR. JH won his only Daesang so far, for the role of Daegil. Regardless of what we may think of the drama itself (I liked it, but not all characters) his portrayal was masterful and I think that is one thing most people agree on

TWDR tells a good, engaging story and I recommend it if you like to learn about korean history too, but acting wise JH was better in Chuno

I will likely check the drama you mention, but later when its over. I never watch dramas while they air unless JH is in them. I like Kim Hee Ae though. She worked with JH in Midas (which btw has a good plot, I just didn’t care for JH’s character too much)

P.S I don’t dislike pretty boys. I’m not attracted to them but I’m ok with them existing :P

@Sushimi I liked KMHM too. I think Ji Sung is a talented and fun actor. I think Im drawn to wacky stuff too, maybe. I don’t go for rom com in general but I crave romantic and emotional elements sometimes 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, corey said:

I was also thinking what exactly is that I like and want to see. And I ended up thinking, I like when the characters show some emotions. Positive emotions. For example, the JH character in Robbers seem so shallow to me that despite the great acting (as pointed out by @Biology Lesson) and stunning good looks I was put off. And con men can be great character with depths (I was reminded of Sawyer in Lost in season 1).

Well, that's exactly it :) In Robbers Oh Joon is all emotion, as he evolves. And truly it's one of the most believable evolution of such a character that I've seen. One of the reasons I liked Robbers so much (and why others dislike it :) ) is that Oh Joon is not the regular charming con man that only cons bad rich people, so that we'll find a way to like him. Almost every protagonist that is a con man in a Kdrama is like that, only conning bad people. Not Oh Joon. Oh Joon cons vulnerable women, like a real con man would do. He is nasty is the beginning, really cruel. This is why I think the show is so brave, and JH too for taking that role. But from the get go we see glimpses of his humanity and what led him to that place. And then we see him change, and along the way he breaks. Several times. And it's beautiful... If you like FTLY, you will see elements that were taken from Robbers that were used in FTLY, including the relationship with the mother in law...

This next scene actually happened before the scene I posted in the previous post. Sorry for the translation in spanish, couldn't find in English...

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Going back to Volcano High- Christine has posted a journal that JH apparently wrote while filming the movie. It's really interesting. So much pain, but also so much resolve! Also it's interesting to read, that at the same time he was filming this movie, he was obsessing over Jungle Juice, that were waiting for him to finish. He really wanted to do that movie! I can't imagine why...

This line shows just how intense was the process he went through with the wires "Hanging on my wire is now life."

And it looks like this is the account of the scene he almost drowned in... This director should have been sued!!

"I fell above the water at a height of 5m above the ground, but I was shocked as if the backboard that hit the water surface was hit by a washboard. Moreover, when I went down to the bottom, I was inside a small tank, and the water pressure was strong, so my eyes popped out and I heard a tight sound in my eardrum. The thought I heard at the moment was "I'm dead." When I was a child, I experienced a four-day coma because of a medical accident. If the diver didn't give me an oxygen respirator at the time, <Volcano High> would have been my masterpiece. How vivid the yellow button on the oxygen respirator looked like, and as soon as I pressed it, I was barely able to breathe and I was relieved to say, "You're alive." Oh, how surprised. Thump . "

https://blog.naver.com/janghyuk_forever/221881333009 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sushimi said:

Agreed. I think one of the endings i got a love hate relationship with was... "So now what?" Kind of ending. Leaving the audience like...so...he is getting away scout free?:sweatingbullets: at first glance, it's great for me, but at the same time is huh for me. Sadly..it was just 10 episodes and this is how the webtoon & drama ended...so...sigh...it's okay i guess:sweatingbullets:

Ya so frustrating. The drama I recently finished, about detective/prosecutor/lawyer type of genre, the ending was .....haiz! It's something like TMWYS but this C drama, at least got give insight to the ML (who is the prosecutor) personal life & fell in love with his Assistant. (Similar to OHJ & SY). The drama isn't so boring about only on cases. But the ending is, the ML went to the seaside to look at the sea!! :triumph:What ending is this?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

53 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Going back to Volcano High- Christine has posted a journal that JH apparently wrote while filming the movie. It's really interesting. So much pain, but also so much resolve! Also it's interesting to read, that at the same time he was filming this movie, he was obsessing over Jungle Juice, that were waiting for him to finish. He really wanted to do that movie! I can't imagine why...

This line shows just how intense was the process he went through with the wires "Hanging on my wire is now life."

From what I managed to understand from the auto-translation, that is :)

https://blog.naver.com/janghyuk_forever/221881333009 

Reading how he suffered during wire action and how he almost drowned...I cried for young Hyuk. Hurt badly and yet could not go to the hospital for fear of slowing down shooting schedule..And look at that sincere and innocent face of his.. all he wanted to do to try his best, repeating that painful shooting over and over again. :bawling:

• Sad 7

3 hours ago, Sushimi said:

I have an oppa that I love, his series is airing now, because it’s romance I had to turn it down:sweatingbullets: so i am with you on the idea of not watching everything oppa does. 

You don't like romance genre too? I just don't like romance (like FTLY) genre. Don't get me wrong, I like MY and LG chemistry but that's about it, the chemistry. Drama wise so so only. Hmm...how to explain....I like drama with a little romance but not the entire drama on romance & I hate it when couples act cute, act silly, which was quite a lot in FTLY.

I prefer historical actually. 

Who's the oppa that you love?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

You don't like romance genre too? I just don't like romance (like FTLY) genre.

Mostly yes with the exception of some..I can’t feel the sweetness that they give, some of my friends be like this romance is so sweet. Most of the time I’m like “huh?”

”I am empty inside..” - OHJ tmwys :lol:

I prefer historical actually. 

I prefer crime and action. Not really that into historical. 

Who's the oppa that you love?

I actually quite like KDW who is doing find me in your memory. :o I actually love a lot of oppas. That’s how I expand my resume :lol: but tbh...JH vs KDW. I would pick JH now because my preference goes to older oppa. He is not bad too for my taste.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sushimi said:

Mostly yes with the exception of some..I can’t feel the sweetness that they give, some of my friends be like this romance is so sweet. Most of the time I’m like “huh?”

”I am empty inside..” - OHJ tmwys :lol:

I prefer crime and action. Not really that into historical. 

Maybe I watched too many romance movies in the 70s & 80s. :lol:Now I'm sick of it.

The historical I like is something like Queen of Seondeok that type, or Jumong that type. I really wished Jumong was acted by JH (the actor who acted as Jumong wasn't bad but JH could do better). I also enjoy watching Emperor/Palace but the Emperor must be able to fight. I don't like a weakling Emperor.

1 hour ago, Sushimi said:

I actually quite like KDW who is doing find me in your memory. :o I actually love a lot of oppas. That’s how I expand my resume :lol: but tbh...JH vs KDW. I would pick JH now because my preference goes to older oppa. He is not bad too for my taste.

Hahaha...expand your resume. I don't really have many K oppas that I like. But I definitely like oppas that are of age already. 40s & above would be great!

Talking about oppas, ok this morning while I was having bf, suddenly a group of people approached the area where I sat. They were going to do filming! Make me fed up only. I had to switch table 3x. But I still managed to see what they were filming. Aiyo, just for 1 line or 1 sentence, have to take & re take & re take how many times! These actors actresses are so poor thing. Just for 1 sentence, have to say so many times. Even if they're not sick of saying the sentence, I'm sick of listening to it already...hahaha.

• LOL 4

@Biology Lesson Thank you, thank you, thank you, yes, I knew he had written his experiences at the time in a sort of journal but I had never read it. All I can say is :tears:

Oh and wow, I never knew he was in a 4 day coma as a child! That must’ve been traumatic for his parents

About his obsession with Jungle Juice, well, remember that he was just starting (if my calculations are correct) so any role in a movie must’ve been exciting for him. Also, he gets so much into everything, its part of his charm. Passionate and determined to a fault. 

• Like 3