1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

@corey I am 300% sure JH is not responsible for stripping TMWYS from a “romantic” or “emotional” angle.

JH, as we have seen throughout his career and interviews would not shy away from any kind of character situation if the script makes sense to him, and that includes kissing and sex scenes. When he did Thorn, he was already married with kids, and this was a story of a teacher having an affair with a student. In the original scenario he does “fall” for her and even goes on dates with her (no actual sex, otherwise the ”twist” doesn’t quite work) Anyway, why are we saying that JH would shy away from adult scenes when he did a movie which was actually this controversial? In Thorn, btw, it was the stupid director who stripped the story of all emotion (on purpose) thus ruining it. To me the scenes were actually ok visually? No need to see his bum in bright light, the problem with that movie was lack of emotion, not lack of sex

I completely agree. I don't think that JH will shy from anything as long as it is justified by the story. And I agree that JH scenes in Thorn were not bad- the one with the wife was actually hot; it was just very dark... :) The one with the student was ruined by the fact that she didn't stop laughing while looking at the camera. I guess that was supposed to make it "artistic"... JH's scenes, even in EOL, were nowhere near to being as explicit or as icky as some in other Korean movies, including the scenes of the other actors in EOL. The problem in Thorn was that the director was a pretentious idiot!

Also, the scenes where Daegil and Unnuyn keep staring at each other longingly after they found themselves again, while she was already married, many of those were added at JHs suggestion. The writer did not include many of those so the idea of breaking my heart in tiny pieces with his unrequited love, was JHs, again, the King of unrequited love and pain. This is the kinda stuff he loves! Or do you think he does dramas for those “cool” action moves and to look badass? He is more preoccupied with breaking our hearts, trust me (there is a reason he is not 100% satisfied with TMWYS) 

I didn't know that about Chuno... that just strengthens my assertion that JH was the only reason Chuno was as striking as it was! That entire production was so lucky to have him!

@Biology Lesson ROTFL at the castrated character suggestion! Does he want to torture us? :lol:

Ok but you know what I like about his crazy suggestion? That he is casual about touching on LBGTQ-ish subjects which once again supports my idea that he’ll do about anything for a role, as long as it stirs emotions. I know k-audience is far away from accepting something like that, but the fact that he’ll suggest it, I find it cool. 

I really don't think he would care about doing gay scenes. As himself, he's not into it (as he hilariously told Jang Seung-Jo in that BTS vid), but his characters have no problem with it. For instance, there is the scene in Voice when they finally catch the bad guy. JH's acting with him was so strangely sexual, the way he was stroking his hair and doing that thing with the knife... Clearly, if need be, JH can go dark...

Also, we just spoke about how the relationship in WOL seemed more than a bromance. And in Robbers, there was a moment when his character said that if he wasn't in love, he might have gone for his gay friend. He really didn't care. Though he did say that his friend wasn't good looking enough for him :)  

I bet you know this but I’ll repeat it for the new people. In his book, he said that people thought he felt regret when he “lost” Secret Garden. He said that by time he was already cured from that feeling of “losing a part” because he felt it strongly when he lost “The King and the Clown”. He was already casted for the role of the guy who played opposite Lee Jun Ki, when the whole military scandal happened. Lee Jun Ki played a boy who dressed like a woman and acted very feminine (he was very pretty btw) The crazy promiscuous king of those times became obsessed with this boy and what would’ve been JHs character, was the protector of this boy. They were both clowns. I remember liking this movie but I watched it a long time ago. Anyway he said losing that movie did hurt him (adding to the fact, the circumstances in which he lost it) and I’m like, that was totally a BL story. He would’ve played the more “masculine” character but still, the relationship between the clowns was definitely much more than a bromance. 

Didn't know this either! I remember trying to watch that movie, but it was depressing and brutal. I didn't like it. Though, wasn't JH too young at the time to play the protective friend of the more feminine guy? I remember the actor was older... Anyway, if JH didn't go to the army, we wouldn't have had nowadays JH, so I'm glad he lost that movie... Sorry JH! :)

• Like 3

@budgerie The thing is, regardless of his children’s age, he will not be able to erase what he already did so, if that’s his concern it’s a bit late. They can still find the old movies on the internet. 

Unless JH specifically says that he limits his character’s intimacy due to him being married and his kids, I have no reason to suppose that. I really don’t see him doing that. I also don’t think he is too conservative, as an actor. It must be a cultural thing but I haven’t seen this trend of men becoming more conservative with age. If anything I’ve seen the opposite (mid life crisis anyone? :P

• Like 3

@corey @Biology Lesson I think we all agree that JH is a SEXY BEAST who even has chemistry with serial killers! And WE, The people! Demand to see this sexy beast unleash his power on screen! There! We said it! 

And @corey I did watch the kiss scenes you showed. They seem good but of course I don’t get excited because a) JH is not in them :D b) Without context the scenes mean nothing to me obviously

But “technically” they are above average for kdrama standards, yes (I wish they didn’t play sappy cheesy soundtracks during these scenes though) 

• LOL 3

Ok, I did an experiment right now cause I was thinking, are my hormones dead? Why is it that all those asian dramas kisses mostly leave me cold? Ok hear me out, my theory is, it has sth to do with what @Biology Lesson mentioned, the stiffness

I used to watch telenovelas and I want to first give you the disclaimer, 99.9% of telenovelas, especially the most traditional cheesy ones (from Mexico) are terribly BAD, Bad script, bad dialogues, bad acting, bad everything, not worth your time etc,  but there is one thing most of them tend to do well and thats, kissing scenes.

I haven’t watched telenovelas in centuries and felt lazy to look for specific ones so I searched “best telenovela kisses” on YT and this is the first video that popped up. Mind you, Ive seen better, these are not really the best imo and YET as I watch this compilation I managed to find many that I found to be hot, even out of context, even if I don’t know the story and even if I don’t know the actors or find them attractive. Why?

It’s mostly, the females, how they respond and participate in the whole thing instead of standing there like a popsicle. When I talk about I want MORE I don’t refer to more nudity or aggression, I just want to see more movement and fluidity in the movements 

BTW I didn’t watch the whole video, too long and I eventually got bored. At the end of the day I do need to care about the characters first in order to care about these kinds of scenes. Also, beware of the sappy cheesy songs in this video too, ugh

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Ok, I did an experiment right now cause I was thinking, are my hormones dead? Why is it that all those asian dramas kisses mostly leave me cold? Ok hear me out, my theory is, it has sth to do with what @Biology Lesson mentioned, the stiffness

I used to watch telenovelas and I want to first give you the disclaimer, 99.9% of telenovelas, especially the most traditional cheesy ones (from Mexico) are terribly BAD, Bad script, bad dialogues, bad acting, bad everything, not worth your time etc,  but there is one thing most of them tend to do well and thats, kissing scenes.

I haven’t watched telenovelas in centuries and felt lazy to look for specific ones so I searched “best telenovela kisses” on YT and this is the first video that popped up. Mind you, Ive seen better, these are not really the best imo and YET as I watch this compilation I managed to find many that I found to be hot, even out of context, even if I don’t know the story and even if I don’t know the actors or find them attractive. Why?

It’s mostly, the females, how they respond and participate in the whole thing instead of standing there like a popsicle. When I talk about I want MORE I don’t refer to more nudity or aggression, I just want to see more movement and fluidity in the movements 

BTW I didn’t watch the whole video, too long and I eventually got bored. At the end of the day I do need to care about the characters first in order to care about these kinds of scenes. Also, beware of the sappy cheesy songs in this video too, ugh

What sacrifices you are willing to make, for science! :D Admirable... I salute you!

At the end of the day, what is it that we want? A good interesting show with a good grownup sexy love story with a female character that is not annoying and that will not stand there like a Popsicle when kissed... Is that such a big thing to ask?!

You know what I think JH should do while he is deciding on his next project? Work on his English. Seriously. I've lost hope that Korea will offer him a show that will do justice by him, and now in Hollywood there are more and more opportunities for Asian actors. Also, another way to go is remakes like FTLY or Life on Mars. That will ensure a good script and also JH will know in advance where the show will end up. 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

9 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@budgerie The thing is, regardless of his children’s age, he will not be able to erase what he already did so, if that’s his concern it’s a bit late. They can still find the old movies on the internet. 

Unless JH specifically says that he limits his character’s intimacy due to him being married and his kids, I have no reason to suppose that. I really don’t see him doing that. I also don’t think he is too conservative, as an actor. It must be a cultural thing but I haven’t seen this trend of men becoming more conservative with age. If anything I’ve seen the opposite (mid life crisis anyone? :P

Hmm....what I'm trying to say here is that generally, one's thinking doesn't remain the same. It changes from singlehood to doublehood to parenthood. Home situation also changes accordingly as the children grow. JH may have said certain things before, example, that he will not limit his character's intimacy if the script is good. But that does not mean his thinking won't change or be slightly adjusted.

Indeed his children can still see his old movies in internet. But his state of mind in 2015 vs his state of mind in 2020 is my main point here.

His boys were 7 and 6 respectively in 2015. Maybe (just saying maybe) it didn't yet occur to JH yet at that moment to consider the discomfort of his boys. Or how his boys might feel about him doing intimate scenes onscreen. Because when our children are in pre school, our thinking is different compared to when our children is in teenage. His interaction with his boys at that age might be more on playing with them, being physically there with them, talking about school or their interest in sports whatever. Not so much 1 to 1 heart to heart talk yet.

In 2020, his boys are 12 and 11 respectively, JH might already start to consider the discomfort of his boys seeing him being intimate on screen. Or maybe his wife might have told him to cut down on such scenes. His interaction with his boys now more on communication. How the boys feel or think about certain issues. The boys may have talked about his work. It's more heart to heart talk. 

It could also be his wife is uncomfortable now when she wasn't before. It could be her telling him to cut down on such scenes for the sake of the children. Teenage is a vulnerable stage, the relationship between parents & children is most delicate at this stage. They either be very close to you or they be very rebellious. Children at this age do feel "ashamed" of their parents too. (My girl friend once told me her teenage kids forbid her to wear bikini because everyone else is looking & her kids don't like it).

Another reason could be the culture. In asian culture, being 40s & beyond is looked upon as ahjusshi category already. They're the category of men most "respected" for having career & having family. In a chinese saying, a winner in life.

JH himself said that he wants to do more other characters before age catches up with him. Perhaps other genre that he hasn't done before. Maybe?

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

On 3/31/2020 at 4:48 AM, azureblue7 said:

I think young Hyuk was very innocent and quite funny..haha. I remembered Danny Ahn (g.o.d. member) telling funny stories about Hyuk in his younger days during a Chuno interview. Chasing after a ball and diving into a shallow pool hitting his nose or something..:lol:

Hihi I guess that's his charm.  One minute he's all fierce looking and another you just want to take care of him.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

7 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

You know what I think JH should do while he is deciding on his next project? Work on his English. Seriously. I've lost hope that Korea will offer him a show that will do justice by him, and now in Hollywood there are more and more opportunities for Asian actors. Also, another way to go is remakes like FTLY or Life on Mars. That will ensure a good script and also JH will know in advance where the show will end up. 

Now I'm thinking & hoping that his next project would be the one we talked about yesterday, Invincible East. In my mind, I would like Ha Ji Won or Han Hye Jin to act as Dong Fang Bu Bai (this role depicted as a woman instead of a castrated man) while JH can act as Ling Hu Chong (the one that Dong Fang Bu Bai is in love with).

Although in the novel, DFBB is a castrated man, but I'm sure we're not ready to see JH acting as the castrated man, his personality turned feminine & having a male lover. But on 2nd thought, this might be a real challenge for him since he wants to challenge himself in acting, being a castrated man & becoming feminine is a test to his acting skills. LOL. I want to see this...:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

Westwood videos 

Isn't it funny that Westwood published these videos, and the focus is mostly on JH face?! :) You can hardly see the clothes... I understand them! 

In the mean time, JH today in the gym- Still long hair! Woo-hoo! Not sure why they made this slow motion...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

How about this hair and dressed in peach pink..haha.. cute!

He is so serious... but it's not just that he is serious, it's that every single emotion that he is feeling is on his face! It makes him look so vulnerable...

I've just seen this clip from Happy together, and it seems like JH's friend is almost as serious as him :) Each time it's amazing for me to see how much he is loved and what a loyal friend he is...

BTW- what with the guest on the left? He is something of putz...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

He is so serious... but it's not just that he is serious, it's that every single emotion that he is feeling is on his face! It makes him look so vulnerable...

I've just seen this clip from Happy together, and it seems like JH's friend is almost as serious as him :) Each time it's amazing for me to see how much he is loved and what a loyal friend he is...

BTW- what with the guest on the left? He is something of putz...

Love this! Haven’t watched before. Thanks for sharing. Both are great actors in their own right

• Like 4

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

Something scary to entertain you while you stay at home. Or you can just admire his handsome face.:lol:

My gosh! It's not real (hopefully)! Lol. The music does make it sound scary (hahaha)!

If it's during the Festival of the Hungry Ghost (during the month of August - where I live), more goosebumps will stand.:D Agree with @dramafan33that JH should do a ghost story drama. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2