Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, budgerie said:

 

Please bear with me @Biology Lesson

 

Thank you was a 2007 production. But I think drama wanted to show an even earlier era, perhaps 1970s where bell bottom pants was the fashion of the day. If you noticed, Dr Min trousers were bell bottom. As for his hair, spike hair was popular in the 1980s, so I presume director-nim wanted a drama which is between 1970s to 1980s. He has a fake beard because he didn't have a real long enough beard. He only was recently released from the military. In the military, you can't have beard neither can you have long hair so I guess he couldn't keep a beard long enough or a hair long enough for nicer styling.

 

I agree that the actress acting Young Shin was not a good choice but at that time, no other actresses wanted to work with him. Applause to this actress (forgot her real name) who accepted the role of Young Shin. In fact, the one who acted as Dr Min girlfriend was even worse. The way she spoke made me feel like she's sucking sweet in her mouth.

 

Little girl was cute at that time when I watched it & I thoroughly enjoyed her chemistry with Dr Min. However, after having watched the little girl in Robbers & Flu, I must say my best choice is still the little girl in Flu, followed by Robbers, lastly the girl in TY. Definitely not the girl but it's the character she played.

 

I like the story of TY because it tells story of people living in the village. I'm not sure if where you're living, people do live in village but I do have relatives who lived in villages in the 70s. So I could somewhat relate. They're people living in their own world. For them to go outside of the island, they need to take a ferry. They don't know what's happening outside their village. The village is all these people ever knew. The way they spoke (slightly uncultured), they way they think (uneducated), the way they behaved (quarrelsome, gossip, busybody) etc. I could relate to all these. But they also had the nice in them, as in if someone gives birth, the whole village comes together to help the pregnant woman or if someone gets married, the whole village comes together too. Likewise, the whole village comes to know of a gossip too. 

 

In asian culture, in the village era, if a woman is a widower or a single mother, she gets ostracised already by the society. She gets bullied & looked down because there's no man in the house to protect the womenfolk. Young Shin couldn't stand up for herself because there was no one to "lift" her up until Dr Min came along. And Dr Min came from the City so at first he really couldn't stand the village people.

 

Little Bomi was cute (because of the little actress) but at the same time, she played a rude & street smart kid. As her mother had to work, she goes to school by herself, she wondered around the village by herself - she's independent, she's bold. This is typical of a kid who grew up in a village. They know the village inside out.

Oh, I have no problem with Asian culture or the theme of the show. I just dislike the show for what I wrote above.  I tried watching yesterday and I physically couldn't take it! At the point when I started insulting the characters and telling them to shut up, I realized that I needed to stop watching :)

Actually, I understand that the show When the Camellia Bloom has similar elements of Korean village and community. I saw clips and the main actor looks like fun, but I just can't bring myself to watch shows with that actress. I just can't...

  • LOL 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

but I just can't bring myself to watch shows with that actress. I just can't...

(Ok I got her name) Gong Hyo Jin. Ya, it's kind of difficult to watch her in any drama. I don't know is it her look, her acting or her from top to toe.

 

 

  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now, Im watching FTLY while my family member is watching TMWYS. I’m just so happen to be in the same room as them as I watch FTLY. Occasionally I will look up and down from my screen to the tv...On my screen, Lee Gun be acting all crazy like because he cannot accept that he got married. While on the tv, OHJ is all..calm...too calm..it feels so weird now....it’s like how can the same person be so different?!:sweatingbullets: (Feels like My brain is trying to process two characters of the same person and it’s overloading..because the two are happening at the same time)
 

Btw..It’s interesting how LG would always bear hug whenever he is sleeping...like the first reaction is to bear hug and not turn to the other side.:lol:

  • Like 2
  • LOL 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sushimi said:

I’m curious...how and when did you fell in love with JH? @corey @Prettysup @budgerie @dramafan33 @The Reel Life @azureblue7 @Lovehyukie

*If I missed out anyone, I’m sorry:sweatingbullets:

 

@Biology Lesson I know already:lol:

I wanted to find what I wrote previously but our thread has been moving too fast lately so I just gave up. Lol!

 

I first knew about JH when I watched my very first Kdrama, Secret Garden. I like Hyun Bin then and when I read that the role was meant for JH, I got curious and went googling about him.What  I got was his Chuno pics with his six pecs showing, him with stubble and disheveled hair. I didn't like guys like that at all! Not at all!

 

Years later I watched FTLY because of the 2nd lead. Initially I was quite put off by his flamboyant laughter and funny hairstyle. But slowly his acting Won me over.. I cried buckets for him and MY...and I made a mental note that he is a very good actor. But that's it. It didn't made me want to watch more of his dramas.

 

Later on I read reviews on Dramabeans about 2 upcoming dramas, "Doctors" and "Beautiful  Mind". They gave BM a better rating and so I started watching both at the same time.  Dropped Doctora mid way as I was more intrigued with the storyline of BM. I thought LYO was the antagonist but couldn't hate him for some reason.. Later when LYO showed his vulnerability and collapsed on the FL's shoulder..I started to like LYO..and the more I watched BM, the more I got curious about JH.

 

His acting is so different here as compared to FTLY. He can be so scary as LYO and yet later on he can be sooo cute!! I started watch SOGC and rewatched FTLY and here I am.. Frankly speaking I didn't notice his good looks at first, not even when I watched FTLY. Dont scold me please..I was more fixated on his acting..It was actually much later then I realized he has really very beautiful features and he is really super handsome! 

 

And so that's how I became addicted to his shows. haha! The end.

 

Oops.. I forgot to do something.. 

 

*dunks a biscuit in my latte..

 

  • Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 12:06 AM, dramafan33 said:

Actually, he grew his hair for “Empire of Lust”. Bangwon has been responsible for both times that he grew his hair out in recent years. Since he needed to keep the long hair for the movie, Lee Gun’s hair had to be adapted. 

Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

I wanted to find what I wrote previously but our thread has been moving too fast lately so I just gave up. Lol!

 

I first knew about JH when I watched my very first Kdrama, Secret Garden. I like Hyun Bin then and when I read that the role was meant for JH, I got curious and went googling about him.What  I got was his Chuno pics with his six pecs showing, him with stubble and disheveled hair. I didn't like guys like that at all! Not at all!

 

Years later I watched FTLY because of the 2nd lead. Initially I was quite put off by his flamboyant laughter and funny hairstyle. But slowly his acting Won me over.. I cried buckets for him and MY...and I made a mental note that he is a very good actor. But that's it. It didn't made me want to watch more of his dramas.

 

Later on I read reviews on Dramabeans about 2 upcoming dramas, "Doctors" and "Beautiful  Mind". They gave BM a better rating and so I started watching both at the same time.  Dropped Doctora mid way as I was more intrigued with the storyline of BM. I thought LYO was the antagonist but couldn't hate him for some reason.. Later when LYO showed his vulnerability and collapsed on the FL's shoulder..I started to like LYO..and the more I watched BM, the more I got curious about JH.

 

His acting is so different here as compared to FTLY. He can be so scary as LYO and yet later on he can be sooo cute!! I started watch SOGC and rewatched FTLY and here I am.. Frankly speaking I didn't notice his good looks at first, not even when I watched FTLY. Dont scold me please..I was more fixated on his acting..It was actually much later then I realized he has really very beautiful features and he is really super handsome! 

 

And so that's how I became addicted to his shows. haha! The end.

 

Oops.. I forgot to do something.. 

 

*dunks a biscuit in my latte..

 

I will admit that I also have no idea when I realized JH was gorgeous... His acting was just so good that it overshadowed his looks! Truly... I don't know...Maybe it was after seeing MF? That was when I officially realized that I'm a fan of his :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sushimi said:

I’m curious...how and when did you fell in love with JH? @corey @Prettysup @budgerie @dramafan33 @The Reel Life @azureblue7 @Lovehyukie

*If I missed out anyone, I’m sorry:sweatingbullets:

 

@Biology Lesson I know already:lol:

 

Oh I first watched him in Chuno when I was on a drama drought and finding something to watch. I was turned off by his curly hair pics initially but the videos were totally different from pics! So after I knew him I went to watch his other works like TWDR, Iris2, ThankYou, The Flu and the rest is history. I didn’t like him in FTLY or Robbers but that’s fine. All these happened in 2015 I think coz after that I managed to watch Gaekju at the same time it was broadcast in Korea.

 

I wonder if there are any new fans from TMWYS? 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, budgerie said:

(Ok I got her name) Gong Hyo Jin. Ya, it's kind of difficult to watch her in any drama. I don't know is it her look, her acting or her from top to toe.

I soooo understand what you mean. And I watched a lot of her dramas because they were available - licenced for my region on the one site I watched before I found others.

Side note - maybe I am just envious of their looks, but to me very few South Korean actress are actually beautiful. (Gong Hyo Jin is not one of them). While I find South Korean actors the most handsome in the world, the girls are... well.. There are three or four that I actually consider breathtakingly beautiful: IU, Park Hwan Hee (she mostly plays second leads), Oh Yeon Seo (I know some of you do not like her), and also perhaps Park Min Young. I was thinkng about it and perhaps it is because I have a general problem with female characters in KDramas...I might have considered them prettier if the characters were better...

 

29 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I will admit that I also have no idea when I realized JH was gorgeous...

Recently a person close to me noticed my phone wallpaper (the same as my profile pictures) and asked who it is. I told him. He looked and OHJ/JH and said... "He looks like a thug". I was speechless....

  • Like 1
  • LOL 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, corey said:

I soooo understand what you mean. And I watched a lot of her dramas because they were available - licenced for my region on the one site I watched before I found others.

Side note - maybe I am just envious of their looks, but to me very few South Korean actress are actually beautiful. (Gong Hyo Jin is not one of them). While I find South Korean actors the most handsome in the world, the girls are... well.. There are three or four that I actually consider breathtakingly beautiful: IU, Park Hwan Hee (she mostly plays second leads), Oh Yeon Seo (I know some of you do not like her), and also perhaps Park Min Young. I was thinkng about it and perhaps it is because I have a general problem with female characters in KDramas...I might have considered them prettier if the characters were better...

I actually don't like the look of most Korean actors, as many of them are kinda feminine... 

 

6 minutes ago, corey said:

Recently a person close to me noticed my phone wallpaper (the same as my profile pictures) and asked who it is. I told him. He looked and OHJ/JH and said... "He looks like a thug". I was speechless....

That's really interesting. I mean think about it- objectively with his long shiny hair and pretty features in that picture he could have easily come across as feminine. But instead people see a thug. Essentially they are seeing OHJ- maybe the scariest protagonist I've ever seen :)I think this is because JH is so expressive, that the feeling that he is conveying overshadows his looks. I guess this explains why many of us initially didn't even notice he was good looking...

  • Like 4
  • Awesome 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy-Time-NG-Special-09-NG-20140817-1.g

 

Am i the only one that would say i love this haircut? Because it fits his flamboyant personality very much?  Hm..him having a mouthful of noodles:P

 

honestly..cannot process the fact that JH is both YG & OHJ...honestly the fact that they are the same person it’s really.. 0 to a 100:sweatingbullets: his portrayal is amazing and very drastic.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sushimi said:

Am i the only one that would say i love this haircut? Because it fits his flamboyant personality very much?  Hm..him having a mouthful of noodles:P

Well, I also like JH's hair cut here. It really went well with his wacky personality :)

 

1 hour ago, Sushimi said:

honestly..cannot process the fact that JH is both YG & OHJ...honestly the fact that they are the same person it’s really.. 0 to a 100:sweatingbullets: his portrayal is amazing and very drastic.

Well, he is neither of those guys :) He is this cutey pie, that is surprisingly dainty. I love how the drunker he gets here, the cuter he is...

 

  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

That's really interesting. I mean think about it- objectively with his long shiny hair and pretty features in that picture he could have easily come across as feminine. But instead people see a thug. Essentially they are seeing OHJ- maybe the scariest protagonist I've ever seen :)I think this is because JH is so expressive, that the feeling that he is conveying overshadows his looks. I guess this explains why many of us initially didn't even notice he was good looking...

Yes, I absolutely agree - with everything you say. I was thinking some more of ii and I can only describe his looks as "Pre-raphaelite" - delicate features, spiritual face, dark locks. And yet it is a scary person, you can see his eyes are the eyes of a person capable of doing wrong things...

 

See this link for what I mean by "Pre-raphaelite":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beata_Beatrix#/media/File:Dante_Gabriel_Rossetti_-_Beata_Beatrix,_1864-1870.jpg

And as you say, his acting overshadows his good looks.

 

1 hour ago, Sushimi said:

honestly..cannot process the fact that JH is both YG & OHJ...honestly the fact that they are the same person it’s really.. 0 to a 100:sweatingbullets: his portrayal is amazing and very drastic.

That is why I like the first part of SHine or Go Crazy...when he actually switches between wacky and dead serious I love it sooooo much.... I must go and watch some more of the "white tiger outfit"...

 

 

On 3/25/2020 at 11:41 AM, Biology Lesson said:

. And I don't know Korean at all. Am I a fan or not?!

I saw your remark and I could not resist sharing with you my experience with Korean language. When I started to watch KDramas I absolutely felt that I shlould at least read the alphabet - I simply had to know what these strange characters are - so I downloaded a free Korean textbook. And I managed to learn the alphabet, even though it was a struggle (at a certain age brain fails to work as efficiently as before, ha). And I am really happy I did, for example because Romanizations of Korean names are sometimes rather confusing. If we take our oppa's name :장혁 - according to my textbook the Romanization should be Jang Hyeok!  So "Hyuk" should not be pronounced as "u" in "you" or "duty" but as the first sound (phoneme, to be exact) in the word "awe".  

I wish I were more systematic in my learning and continue with my textbook beyond the alphabet - but no willpower, sadly.

I picked up a lot of words and phrases from dramas, though, and I can see that the Korean grammar is nothing like in indoeuropean languages (like English and my "mother tongue"). 

Sorry for this digression, but this is something that I am really interested in.

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Biology Lesson You know? Normally I'm turned off by drunks but drunk Hyukie is so adorbubble! Why why why? I need him to play a character as adorable as himself. I'm sure the whole world will melt for him and Corona Virus will be cured! 

 

@corey Thank you! I learned something new because of you. A pre-raphaelite beauty indeed! 

 

@Sushimi Ok, let me tell you my "origin" story lol! (I told it before so everyone else can skip this :P)

 

Like many of you, I didn't realize Jang Hyuk was handsome until later. But, I did have a positive impression of him right away, because I liked the expressiveness of his eyes and his intense gaze, immediately. There are many actors I like, as actors and that I find charismatic, but I don't have a "crush" on them. For me to have a crush, I need to fall in love with the character. So, I think I liked his acting right away, but he turned into a "crush" later

 

Before JH, I got into historical dramas due to the drama Queen Seondeok and Kim Nam Gil in the role of Bidam (that character became my first strong korean crush) When I finished QSD I craved for both more korean historical dramas and KNG works. After watching a modern drama by KNG that I didn't like and seeing that he didn't have more dramas, I put a pause on that crush and searched for historical dramas. I read a comment on some streaming site, on the QSD comments section, this person said that, there were other three historical dramas that, in this person's opinion were better than QSD and they managed to tell their stories in less episodes "Empire of the wind" (I tried that, watched about 15 eps, but found it tiresome), "Chuno" (Watched half of the first episode, was intrigued by JH's eyes immediately and loved how his expression changed when he thought of Unnnyun, but, I wasn't too interested in the story of a man chasing a slave he loved, I wanted more palace drama, but JH was enough to convince me to put it on hold) The third recommendation was "The tree with deep roots"

 

TWDR ended up being just what I craved at the time! And I was content that the same actor of Chuno was in it, as he seemed a good, expressive, intense, charismatic, fun to watch and really good at martial arts, actor. But I still didn't think he was super attractive, just "normal" looking. And well, his look in TWDR is not the best. So then, at some point in the drama there are a couple of scenes where he lifts his hat and makes a sort of "sexy" expression, a very confident, sexy eye expression and I told my mom "Wait a minute, mom, is he sexy? or is his confidence hypnotizing me and convincing me he is sexy?"And my mom: Errr what, you are only realizing NOW? He is HANDSOME, look at this nose, his features, his eyes, his lips, his jawline! I swear she almost smacked me in the back of my head, like "no wonder you are single, you blind woman" And I'm like huhhhh??? Ohhhh, that's riggght, he IS handsome, duhhhh 

 

Anyway, thanks mom, I owe you my life and my Jang Hyuk crush! We always watch his dramas together and she loves him maybe more than I do. He can do no wrong in her eyes! Every time, his character does something slightly evil, she is like "My Chanchook? (she mispronounces his name) nooo, he is not like that! Ive never seen him be like this" And Im like MA! did you forget Daegil and Piljoo and all those bad boys he has played? lol. And she is like , no, no, no, my Chanchook is always good! its the writers fault lol!

 

Anyway, after TWDR I watched Chuno, and I drooled first, and the he made me cry so much. I had to obviously fall in love. 

 

I think I'm on the "hard core" side of fans, regarding him but its not my fault. Recently I'm playing a FB challenge, remembering past fictional "crushes", its all about fictional characters and, the thing is, I've had many (mostly on sci fi shows, I've just realized) but only in two other cases, I've fallen for more than one character by the same actor and JH is the only case where I genuinely LOVE at least 10 characters of the same actor, with 7 being among my all time favorites. Thing is, he makes me fall over and over again in a MAJOR crush, so its like starting all over again. Like, if I had watched him in FTLY before Chuno, I would've fallen. Same with LYO in Beautiful Mind, Piljoo in Money Flower, and most recently BANGWON, wow! Bangwon was so MAJESTIC, I have to scream, whenever I say his name. Look and energy wise, I think Bangwon is just so sexy and magnetic. Too powerful.  

  • Like 4
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw this BTS vid from FTLY and, watching this, I noticed something about the kiss after the auction, a kiss I commented a few days ago as being one of the most passionate and aggressive kisses I've ever seen JH do. But- If you look at the BTS at 2:04 into the vid, you can see that initially they seem to be staging the kiss! You can that JH was positioning his head and hair in such a way that it hid JNR's face while he was obviously not actually kissing her. Now, in the episode they did actually kiss, and I think it was their first real kiss, so I wonder- did JNR not want to do the kiss at first?! I know that in the Successful Story of a Bright Girl that was what happened. JNR didn't want to actually kiss, so they had to stage it. This BTS kinda suggests that this is what happened here too. JNR is very obviously uncomfortable and JH seems to be going out of his way to ease her. If this is true, and JNR did object to doing an actual kissing scene at first,  can you imagine how different the show would have been if she persisted?!

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, corey said:

Recently a person close to me noticed my phone wallpaper (the same as my profile pictures) and asked who it is. I told him. He looked and OHJ/JH and said... "He looks like a thug". I was speechless....

What? Your profile pic of OHJ is already his most gentle look! lol! He looks so pretty manly in it!

  • LOL 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

What? Your profile pic of OHJ is already his most gentle look! lol! He looks so pretty manly in it!

 

For some ppl, long hair = thug I think, haha

  • LOL 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@corey i too also have a JH wallpaper..but i don't think i will show..cause it's not as majestic as yours..so...*hides phone*

 

@dramafan33 i too used to be a KNG fan. But...Bidam is not my cup of tea..I was more interested in him at first in fiery priest, i happened to like characters that have a secret background which they later changed for the better but the past comes back to haunt them etc type roles. Plus he was also pretty flexible interms of crossdress etc. He did it in fp. Afterwards i ended up watching live up to your name. I became like wow. That fire sort of gone now. Haha. Can i say...period dramas. My country..JH looks good. But im quite skeptical to start watching knowing that the main leads isn't him..he is like a supporting...but i think i will try.

 

I really love OHJ because he is cold and charismatic. It's ocn..so im not suprise that they have roles like OHJ. I know you and some of us here are affected by it, but personally for me it's quite lovely:lol:i like hard characters too. I have weird taste hahaha

 

@Biology Lesson yes they are just characters. But i am shook that they felt like real people and it's JH who is makijg me feel that way that's why my brain couldn't process:lol: sad how life bar no one sub JH's episode :( So i ended up watching his SNL instead haha. 

 

It's magical how after reading life bar my insta sesrch engine came out with this haha

:lol:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

 

For some ppl, long hair = thug I think, haha

I mean..in the 80s-90s..boys have long hair isn't it?:lol:i don't know so... opp.

  • Like 2
  • LOL 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sushimi Did you finish Beautiful Mind or is it on hold? (or dropped?) I think you might enjoy Money Flower too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Sushimi Did you finish Beautiful Mind or is it on hold? (or dropped?) I think you might enjoy Money Flower too. 

I’m still watching it, but at a slower pace, but I have 4 episodes left..it’s funny how LYO’s relationship talks is like....so....hm....for example “You are sort of like my wifi.” :lol: who would tell someone who is the opposite gender that hey..you are my wifi..I expect your assistance...LYO..you need relationship advices from us. Even be it for friends or girlfriend.:lol: Innocent little bean:lol:

  • Like 2
  • LOL 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...