20 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I agree, that scene of him trying to behave like he always did after his scammed someone and not succeeding is just phenomenal. This is what I love about JH! Those scenes of conflicting emotions! There are so many great scenes in Robbers... Another great scene was the pork soup scene. That was so heartbreaking! and I loved how he broke when Dal Rey called. It made me understand why he fell in love with her and why he needed her, something that Chuno, for instance, never did. This is why I hate Voice, cause Voice never gave me those moments. Never allowed JH to explore the depth of his character. This is why I wish he will get another chance with OHJ, to really explore him.

Oh yes, the port soup scene!  That was one of my favourites as well!  I was so glad when Dal Rae called him at that moment.  He was so broken that I wanted someone to comfort him.  His friend forsake him (though I can understand why, but still...), his sister disappoint him, and the thugs were after him.  Not to mention his low self-esteem though he tried to put up a superior front.  But he was so broken inside.  I wanted to hug him at that moment, and console him.  JH is always so good with this kind of scene.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@phoenix24 Well, he still takes risks and has had multiple injuries during various dramas, most recently he told the story of how he was hurt during Bad Papa and the tears in that “upside down crying” scene were real because his head was hurting so much, but, he is much more in control of the situations, he is now an expert at working with wires, he also is respected by PDs so he calls many of the shots, especially during action scenes, so, as much as he wants to “risk” for his characters (and make us worry for him) it is at least, his call. It is akin to dedicating your life to sports. Injuries will happen, pain will happen, there’ll be broken bones and bruises, and injuries will act up in your old age. But at least, it’s the person’s choice. 

I do trust that even though he is clearly a daredevil and enjoys the adrenaline rush, he will take as much safety precautions as possible, which unfortunately was not happening during that VH shoot. He was being treated worse than a stunt double (who have experience on those scenes) he was treated like a rag doll. That director definitely crossed the line.

Yea I accepted it coming with territory, but like you said in VH passing out that much and 20 mins each time is not normal at all.  Did they even have doctors on site?

Yea, I did read about KNG passing out.  It seems like they go to hospital more these days or advise to rest.  Always seem tougher filming in Asian countries.  You know it'll be a liability in USA.

• Like 2

So, I've been watching "Hello, monster". It's a nice enough show with Jang Nara. I will say, in the beginning she was trying to act like the tough cop, which really didn't suit her (not to mention how ridiculous it is to see her take down guys twice her size), but later she returned to being her sweet cute self so she became better. BTW, I wonder, I have never seen any of her other shows- can she do any other character or are all her characters the same?

Anyway, the show is about a brilliant arrogant profiler (are there any other kind?! :D) played by Seo In-Guk and of course the show is filled with serial killers. Since this is not an OCN show, there's even romance in the show! The problem is, I really don't buy the romance between these two characters. Maybe I'm biased, but it feels like the two characters are superimposed on the same image, they don't even feel like they are actually in the same frame. Not sure why, maybe it's that the actor is not that good. He just feels detached... 

Anyway, this made me think- if I'm allowing myself to fantasize on a second season with OHJ, what if he met a character played by Jang Nara? What would that look like? Dangerous OHJ meeting a sweet and gentle character played by Jang Nara? We already know they have crazy good chemistry and she is really comfortable with him, so I think they can do something really interesting together... 

Anyway, just fantasizing... 

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson Jang Nara, as much as I love her, I haven’t watched most of her dramas so I don’t know how different she has been in different roles. But I know she didn’t get too much love for her role in Hello Monster. In fact, I heard Park Bo Gum got most of the attention for that drama. 

In later dramas JNR has enjoyed more success, both in ratings, awards, good reviews of her performance with “Go back couple” (on my list to watch some day) “The Last Empress” (sounds too makjang for my taste), VIP (I heard she was great but Im not too curious about this subject matter) Just superficially I get the feeling these characters were different but still, have that JNR signature 

I did watch many episodes of One more happy ending, and her character there was interesting, she had a great look, she was elegant and had a mature vibe, but the drama itself lost me after a while (way too many scenes with the boring second lead) However in this role, while I never saw traces of “Mi Young”, I did see “JNR”. In fact I feel like “Mi Young” is her most distinctive character (as in, she feels like a person separate from JNR) but, its only a guess based on watching clips etc. 

She needs to play an evil character. Maybe someone who looks like an angel but is actually horrible, ha! I can imagine her. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Jang Nara, as much as I love her, I haven’t watched most of her dramas so I don’t know how different she has been in different roles. But I know she didn’t get too much love for her role in Hello Monster. In fact, I heard Park Bo Gum got most of the attention for that drama. 

He did?! Maybe it was justified. I think he is the only one that doesn't feel fake... But, now that I've reached episode 14, I'm completely bored! It happens a lot to me in these type of shows that have both suspense and romance. The first episodes are all about establishing the mystery and developing the romance, so they are usually interesting, romantic and funny. But by episode 12 or 13, the love story has already been established and the show usually doesn't know what to do with it, so it becomes stale and boring. As to the mystery- now they need to drag it out so it becomes convoluted and illogical. This is exactly what happened to me with Hotel De Luna, that I dropped by the 14th episode when I realized I didn't care about any of what was going on, and in Terius behind you, which I finished but was bored by it by the end...

In later dramas JNR has enjoyed more success, both in ratings, awards, good reviews of her performance with “Go back couple” (on my list to watch some day) “The Last Empress” (sounds too makjang for my taste), VIP (I heard she was great but Im not too curious about this subject matter) Just superficially I get the feeling these characters were different but still, have that JNR signature 

I did watch many episodes of One more happy ending, and her character there was interesting, she had a great look, she was elegant and had a mature vibe, but the drama itself lost me after a while (way too many scenes with the boring second lead) However in this role, while I never saw traces of “Mi Young”, I did see “JNR”. In fact I feel like “Mi Young” is her most distinctive character (as in, she feels like a person separate from JNR) but, its only a guess based on watching clips etc. 

I will admit that even though I loved her in FTLY, I feel no urge to watch any of the shows you've mentioned. So what you are saying JNR is kinda like Gong Hyo-jin, essentially playing the same character over and over again, which, I guess, is what most stars do... I think MY may have been so different from JNR because, as she herself said, JH was very involved in the development of  MY.

She needs to play an evil character. Maybe someone who looks like an angel but is actually horrible, ha! I can imagine her. 

Seeing her try to play a tough cop and looking very fake while doing it, I'm not sure she has the range to play an evil character, though again, I've seen her in only two shows...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I will admit that even though I loved her in FTLY, I feel no urge to watch any of the shows you've mentioned. So what you are saying JNR is kinda like Gong Hyo-jin, essentially playing the same character over and over again, which, I guess, is what most stars do... I think MY may have been so different from JNR because, as she herself said, JH was very involved in the development of  MY.

Seeing her try to play a tough cop and looking very fake while doing it, I'm not sure she has the range to play an evil character, though again, I've seen her in only two shows...

I thought Last Empress was different from her norm and interesting.  She start off naive and toughen up/more serious later in a believable way. 

VIP I just can't finish, but maybe that's more storyline.  Think I lost interest after ep 2.

I'm open to her I guess for OHJ, but not sure she's the best fit.  Don't get me wrong I love their chemistry before, but not sure on match for that role.

• Like 4

@Biology Lesson I know what you mean. I think she is a good actress, very expressive and can make you feel what she feels. But Im not sure about her versatility. She can show a wide range of emotions but can she play different “personas”? That is what I’d like to see. She tried to get out of her comfort zone with Hello Monster but it didn’t quite work. I have the feeling she could have the range and be convincing but she needs to take bigger risks. If I ever watch “Go back couple” I’ll let you know if I see a different JNR. I do feel she has the potential but maybe not a risk taker? Or maybe she doesn’t get radically different offers. Or maybe we are judging by appearances because we haven’t really watched her dramas :lol: My issue is, I love her but her dramas have not attracted me (except Go back couple because I read some really enticing reviews and she talked very passionately about that role) 

P.S The evil character would have to be someone who “appears” to be nice. Let me think of an example from an actual drama or movie. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

I thought Last Empress was different from her norm and interesting.  She start off naive and toughen up/more serious later in a believable way. 

VIP I just can't finish, but maybe that's more storyline.  Think I lost interest after ep 2.

I didn't even try any of her shows. I guess I am only interested in her when she is with JH, and even then... I still haven't watched Bright Girl's Success (in the clips that I've seen she looks very annoying) or Old goodbye (looks depressing).

5 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

I'm open to her I guess for OHJ, but not sure she's the best fit.  Don't get me wrong I love their chemistry before, but not sure on match for that role.

You might be right. I actually was thinking about a show that might be dark and sexy, in which he meets a woman to match him. Maybe not as scary as he is, but someone that wouldn't back away from him. In TMWYS he got mostly respect and no one challenged OHJ. No one commented on his behavior (except that one time when he insulted CSY, but that was that one time). Even his fiance in that one scene we got was very gentle with him. I'd like to see a character that gets into his face. Not annoyingly, like many fl characters do, but to just challenge him on his behavior. The only problem is- Kdramas don't do sexy...

Maybe JNR is not suitable for that, but I mentioned her name mostly because she was very comfortable with JH. I recently saw this random clip from a show, and there was kiss scene there that I guess was supposed to be passionate, but you could sense the intense discomfort from the actress. Even though she is trying to act and look like she wants to kiss the actor, her body betrays her here and you see how her head is kinda trying to arch away from him, making this whole kiss scene very uncomfortable, almost like an attack. And this is not the first time I saw that behavior from Korean actresses, also in Hotel Del Luna, the actress, that was trying to pretend to be all sassy and sexy, in the kiss scenes you could see her entire body trying to get away. Very uncomfortable. 

Now, I've never seen an actress behave like with JH, but it needs to be more than that. In order to sell a love story, an actress should feel comfortable enough to touch an actor as part of her acting, if to comfort or from affection, and not many Korean actresses will do that. This is why I thought about her, as she is very comfortable with JH.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I know what you mean. I think she is a good actress, very expressive and can make you feel what she feels. But Im not sure about her versatility. She can show a wide range of emotions but can she play different “personas”? That is what I’d like to see. She tried to get out of her comfort zone with Hello Monster but it didn’t quite work. I have the feeling she could have the range and be convincing but she needs to take bigger risks. If I ever watch “Go back couple” I’ll let you know if I see a different JNR. I do feel she has the potential but maybe not a risk taker? Or maybe she doesn’t get radically different offers. Or maybe we are judging by appearances because we haven’t really watched her dramas :lol: My issue is, I love her but her dramas have not attracted me (except Go back couple because I read some really enticing reviews and she talked very passionately about that role) 

I think it's her doll-like look that makes me uninterested in watching her shows... So I think you are right- I'm mostly judging from appearance :) But In "Hello, monster" her tough girl act was really bad, so I do have that to base myself, I guess... Also can you tell me, why in Korean shows, girls are often showed to be sloppy and disgusting in terms of cleanliness?! is that supposed to be funny?

5 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

P.S The evil character would have to be someone who “appears” to be nice. Let me think of an example from an actual drama or movie. 

This idea can be interesting... :) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I didn't even try any of her shows. I guess I am only interested in her when she is with JH, and even then... I still haven't watched Bright Girl's Success (in the clips that I've seen she looks very annoying) or Old goodbye (looks depressing).

You might be right. I actually was thinking about a show that might be dark and sexy, in which he meets a woman to match him. Maybe not as scary as he is, but someone that wouldn't back away from him. In TMWYS he got mostly respect and no one challenged OHJ. No one commented on his behavior (except that one time when he insulted CSY, but that was that one time). Even his fiance in that one scene we got was very gentle with him. I'd like to see a character that gets into his face. Not annoyingly, like many fl characters do, but to just challenge him on his behavior. The only problem is- Kdramas don't do sexy...

haha omg I was thinking same someone strong and intelligent.  Like you say not annoying, but she earn his respect and he admits that maybe her skill or whatever complement to his.  Someone that he might consult and perhaps understand his train of thought.  Because the nice girl warming cold guy has been done many times.

• Like 3

@Biology Lesson I tried to look for good kisses in kdrama on youtube and I immediately got bored and annoyed lol On top of the fish kiss, open eyed surprised kiss, many times people need to be drunk in these scenes. I give up! I can’t even think of a good partner that would be willing to kiss JH properly, for fantasy purposes 

@corey Well, we don’t really know that JH doesn’t want to do kissing scenes anymore. It’s only a theory (which I don’t want to support! Lolol)

And YES #Banghwi FTW lol The way they looked at each other, was actually hotter than any kdrama kiss I’ve seen (sadly) I guess PDs can’t contain what the eyes want to say :lol: 

And ughhhh at that PD stopping PMY from making the scene better! That sucks!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

22 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

And YES #Banghwi FTW lol The way they looked at each other, was actually hotter than any kdrama kiss I’ve seen (sadly) I guess PDs can’t contain what the eyes want to say :lol: 

I think many people feel the same.  They always have these long silent moment stares and I'm thinking isn't that usually save for the main lead couple lol.  You guys are making me miss my country a bit now.

Have you guys seen newest one

• Like 1
  • Love 2