@budgerie Oh wow! You watched Carlos, rey emperador? I love it! And before that I watched all three seasons of Isabel. Really good riveting spanish dramas. I’m curious, where did you watch them? Did you watch with subs or do you understand spanish (Ill be shocked and in awe and extremely jelly if you know so many languages lol) 

• LOL 1

4 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@budgerie Oh wow! You watched Carlos, rey emperador? I love it! And before that I watched all three seasons of Isabel. Really good riveting spanish dramas. I’m curious, where did you watch them? Did you watch with subs or do you understand spanish (Ill be shocked and in awe and extremely jelly if you know so many languages lol) 

I didn't watch the earlier seasons of Isabel. I actually just "came upon Carlos, rey emperador" on youtube & I found the trailer quite interesting. Ah, I don't know if you find the lead actress pretty but she's quite pretty sometimes. Heehee. With sub of course. I cannot understand spanish.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

I will confess- couldn't make it beyond the second episode. I started out slightly bored, and ended up fully bored :blink: so I dropped it just now... I am trying The greatest love, at @yoeda's recomndation- though I have feeling that will also be dropped soon as I have serious problems with Kong Hyo-Jin's acting and Cha Seung-Won's face, though I've never seen a show of his... we'll see how it will go :)

I don't know why, but YKS comes across as so bland to me... Even in two roles that were supposed to be intense like in Poongsan and The Outlaws he didn't grab me. He seems like a sweet guy, but as an actor, not my thing...

It's Yoo Jun Sang in Poong San, isn't it? I know I got mesh with their name before. lol. he's a bad guy against Ji Sung in Defendant if i'm not mistaken. I'm rooting for him for Daesang on KBS last year but it's goes to  Gong Hyo Jin.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Hey speaking of GHJ, (I did finish The Greatest Love, I believe is from FTLY PD? But anywho, I wasn’t personally impressed but I know its a popular drama. I remember people comparing Lee Gun to Dokko Jin. I respect CSW but I obviously have my preferences lol) Anyway, did you try watching Thank You? I love that drama but with caveats (its old, JH style is not great lol) but I love JHs rapport with Seo Shin Ae (the little girl) and the grandpa

I did watch Thank you and I didn't like it. My main problem was the female protagonist. I couldn't stand the character nor the actress  Kong Hyo-Jin (is it Kong or Gong?). I know that she is very popular, and I also appreciate her accepting Thank you with JH, at a time when not many actresses were willing to be seen with him, but I find her to be one note, maybe the quintessential goofy, bumbling wide eyed female protagonist. I tried watching her in several shows, but couldn't take it. The little girl in Thank you was cute, but I have to say when seeing her behind the scenes, she kinda made me uncomfortable. I know she was young, but she was surprisingly aggressive with JH. She obviously had a crash on him, and she wasn't hiding it. I actually think JH was the highlight on that show. Also- he had a kissing scene in the beginning that was very aggressive. He's usually very soft and sweet, so I kinda liked that :)  All in all- not my favorite show...

As to The Greatest Love- it seems like mindless fun, nothing more... So it was Dokko Jin that was compared to Lee gun, I thought it was the character that was played by Yoon Kye-Sang... I don't see the comparison with Lee Gunn as even though he was wacky, LG  was a good guy and he had depth to him from the very start, while what I'm seeing of Dokko Jin by ep2 seems empty. I'll stick to it some more, see if I'll like it some more.

But I will ask- You guys have said that JH was criticized for his acting on various occasions, my question is- have any of these actors in this show been also criticized? Because what I'm seeing here is hardly stellar acting... 

As to Turkish shows, everything you wrote is right. I think Endless love was a huge worldwide hit, I didn't even try watching it cause I know those shows will have more than hundred episodes, and that's too much of a commitment for me now :) I quit watching them after in the last show that I tried, I predicted exactly what will happen in the next episode. At that point, I knew I should move on... I will say though- the acting in Turkish shows is very good, especially the crying scenes. Turkish shows specialize in them, while most crying scenes in Korean shows tend to be very bad.:)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, yoeda said:

It's Yoo Jun Sang in Poong San, isn't it? I know I got mesh with their name before. lol. he's a bad guy against Ji Sung in Defendant if i'm not mistaken. I'm rooting for him for Daesang on KBS last year but it's goes to  Gong Hyo Jin.

Wait- Gong Hyo Jin got a Daesang?! OK... I don't know what to say about that... :)

You were rooting for Yoo Jun Sang or Ji Sung? I haven't seen the Defendant

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson I actually would like to read the answer to your last question myself. I “guess” all actors get “haters” and some criticism but I pay less attention to those other than JH that I don’t notice it much unless its overwhelming. In general I notice most criticism towards female leads and characters and idol actors. For example, I have never watched anything by idol-actress Suzy, but I often read criticism against her. 

The male lead from “Black” Ive seen criticisms towards him. I’ve read he is not a good actor. 

The actress from “Kill me heal me” she is very popular, but she is often accused of overacting. Lee Dong Wook?!? (Im bad with names, the actor who played Grimm Reaper in Goblin) also, Ive read he overacts especially in anger scenes or that he is one note 

Park So Dam got criticized at the beginning of BM, people blamed the actress when it was actually the character being a klutz. She was and still is (Now more with Parasite) a movie promise/star, but she wasn’t spared 

Lee Da Hae has been heavily criticized, her acting, her plastic surgery too. I felt sorry she had to “apologize” for Chuno, due to the almost harassment she suffered, when it wasn’t even her fault her character was kept “pristine”. Also not her fault if her character was written boring 

You find crying scenes in korean dramas to be bad? Jang Hyuk and Jang Nara crying scenes come to my mind first so my first reaction is to disagree (I have not cried with other actors, from any country, as much as those two made me cry) but, I think you are probably referring to other kdramas and actors. Like I have seen how some, cry without tears, especially supporting actors. Like when people beg for mercy and rub their hands together and sound like they are crying but no tears are visible. OTOH, I have not been able to connect emotionally to the turkish yet, so all I can say about them is they are pretty. But Im sure there has to be something to them that I will, maybe one day, appreciate. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I actually would like to read the answer to your last question myself. I “guess” all actors get “haters” and some criticism but I pay less attention to those other than JH that I don’t notice it much unless its overwhelming. In general I notice most criticism towards female leads and characters and idol actors. For example, I have never watched anything by idol-actress Suzy, but I often read criticism against her. 

The male lead from “Black” Ive seen criticisms towards him. I’ve read he is not a good actor. 

The actress from “Kill me heal me” she is very popular, but she is often accused of overacting. Lee Dong Wook?!? (Im bad with names, the actor who played Grimm Reaper in Goblin) also, Ive read he overacts especially in anger scenes or that he is one note 

Park So Dam got criticized at the beginning of BM, people blamed the actress when it was actually the character being a klutz. She was and still is (Now more with Parasite) a movie promise/star, but she wasn’t spared 

Lee Da Hae has been heavily criticized, her acting, her plastic surgery too. I felt sorry she had to “apologize” for Chuno, due to the almost harassment she suffered, when it wasn’t even her fault her character was kept “pristine”. Also not her fault if her character was written boring 

Hmmm... in this case I don't think we should take too much notice of the criticism against JH, Which recently you don't see much of anyway:)Everyone seems to be getting criticized at one time or another, and some times it's justified. So I'm glad JH is continuing to do his thing and perfecting his craft...

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Wait- Gong Hyo Jin got a Daesang?! OK... I don't know what to say about that... :)

You were rooting for Yoo Jun Sang or Ji Sung? I haven't seen the Defendant

I'm rooting for Yoo Jun Sang but he lost to Gong Hyo Jin. ji Sung already have 2 Daesang. lol. I don't watch Camellia (GHJ drama that she gain Daesang) but rating wise it's on par with Poong Sang. People say it's late incoming for GHJ even her performance there not her best compare to her other drama, its kind a payback for all her hard work and miss opportunity over the years.

• Like 1

@Biology Lesson Its true, I only get aggravated when he gets unfairly dragged and blamed and its like people get on a mode like they forget all his good work suddenly. I felt it most strongly during Iris 2 and Voice (at the beginning of FTLY too, but then people changed their tune, and to a certain extent during SOGC) And its because Im a biased fan and I want all the good things for him always. Im ok with constructive criticism but some people just simply disrespect. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Im ok with constructive criticism but some people just simply disrespect.

I wonder those people who likes to criticise about anything & everything actually knows their limit? I agree with you that it's ok to criticise constructively & without prejudice.

However, some people won't stop just there but continue to criticise people's spouse as well. How ugly she is or how ugly he is. How ugly their children. How incompatible they are. Thankfully JH didn't let his wife/children be in the open otherwise for sure his wife/children will get criticised as well.

1 C actor, when he got married, people criticised his wife alot. Not only that, even dig out her past lovers. What's with people these days?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

In Suzy case, I'm not a haters but the only drama that i can stomach her is Dream High. She got critism coz she is a most sought  Idol actress, ppl like to watch her, and director or writer like to work with her. maybe for endorsement purpose. She got a good character, good drama, good writer but her acting kind of like that. i understand fan frustration coz they think another actress can do better and she kinda waste it. 

For Lee Da Hae, i think she can do better. Sometimes a boring character if in a good hand can be beautiful. It's her first saeguk and i can't blame her much. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Turkish dramas are the rave! There’s one called “Endless love” (Kara Sevda) Im sort of peeking at just cause its on, where I work but, damn it the thing is quite literally endless!!!!!!!! Like, everyone is beautiful, acting seems decent, production looks nice but! WTH is that story that moves so slowly! I swear every time I pay attention the same conversation is being had, the same confrontation, its like watching a painting moving slowly? What? But Im sure its me missing something cause this one is having hight ratings and people are in love with the male lead. 

I've seen a few Turkish dramas and I think you've summarised their characteristics really well.

Fatmagul-un Suku Ne? is in same vein but atleast it has better subject matter to explore. Not fault of the actors though they are quiet pretty.

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

What I loved about the show was how strong she became and how realistically she was developed, including the way she dealt with her marriage, that had to do with her culture

I think this was the best best part of the drama. 

2 hours ago, budgerie said:

I enjoyed "Carlos, Rey Emperador". :)

I'll give it a try. I've seen a few episodes of Isabel.

• Like 1

@Biology Lesson Im more worried that they are once again wasting time and not developing the characters. But I need to suspend my frustration until I watch with subs. 

I also don’t worry about action scenes, in fact I usually love them, until I hear his own accounts of his injuries and the fact that they still hurt and so I guess I remember that he is a human and regret craving his action scenes, especially because he breaks his bones for dramas that sometimes are not even successful so it feels like such a waste and a futile effort. If he had no other talents as an actor then I’d probably say well big whoop, this is what he does, and he needs to make a living, but he is so good as an actual “actor”, to see him hurt himself and then some people seeing him as an “action actor” primarily is also frustrating. 

Finally, action scenes, violent scenes, love scenes, sex scenes, I enjoy these a lot if they are in context and make sense, but when they are thrown there to tantalize or fill space, I find them distracting, annoying and boring (for the most part). Like I don’t think it does much for the character of OHJ to see him climb buildings like Spiderman. If anything it makes me think “Oh thats JH, not OHJ the character”. A man who was once paralyzed is doing that? Its too unrealistic and I don’t see the point of pushing that. It’s almost like him having gone through of all that left no trace in OHJ and it got erased, it all became irrelevant. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Im more worried that they are once again wasting time and not developing the characters. But I need to suspend my frustration until I watch with subs. 

I think that would be best... JH said we will be seeing healing. It will take time. Would you rather see a show that works like most Kdramas? Everything predictable and advancing in a set pace? I'm right now still watching The greatest love, and I'm already tired of the pattern in it- in every episode an embarrassing goofy mistake occurs, the girl reacts with happy idiotic obliviousness and the guy grumbles but eventually the mistake will work for both their benefit, as it drives them together... so good! :unsure: I'm very close to dropping it... One thing I will say about TMWYS- it's not predictable!

Do I trust the writer of TMWYS? No. But since the show is already better than Voice, and all the previous episodes since episode 5 are episodes I will definitely rewatch- I'm hoping the rest of the episodes will continue to be as good. 

As to action scene or any other scene you mentioned- When JH speaks about doing a show, he usually talk about having fun. It's very obvious that JH enjoys doing actions scenes, he will add them wherever he and the director sees fit. He did that in FTLY and in WOL, and it always enhanced the show. So JH can continue doing this for all I care as long as he is having fun.

To my regret, kissing scenes seem to be the scenes JH enjoys the least... :tears:

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I think that would be best... JH said we will be seeing healing. It will take time. Would you rather see a show that works like most Kdramas? Everything predictable and advancing in a set pace? I'm right now still watching The greatest love, and I'm already tired of the pattern in it- in every episode an embarrassing goofy mistake occurs, the girl reacts with happy idiotic obliviousness and the guy grumbles but eventually the mistake will work for both their benefit, as it drives them together... so good! :unsure: I'm very close to dropping it... One thing I will say about TMWYS- it's not predictable!

Do I trust the writer of TMWYS? No. But since the show is already better than Voice, and all the previous episodes since episode 5 are episodes I will definitely rewatch- I'm hoping the rest of the episodes will continue to be as good. 

I don’t even know why I didn’t drop TGL myself lol! It was meh to me as well. But I think I was like you, exploring at the time. But I no longer force myself to watch anything (only JH dramas and I think I need to stop doing that too)

Yeah I know I like TMWYS better than Voice but I get frustrated arghhhh I want it to be like Beautiful Mind!!!! I know it never will be but I crave that kind of character exploration. 

He may enjoy doing action scenes, I suppose no one forces him to do it but it is also stressed to him that action is what he does well. It is one of the things he started doing to differentiate himself as an actor way back when he was finding his footing, when he was told he wasn’t a good actor or funny enough or handsome enough, etc. And it seems he always liked the adrenaline. I just hope he doesn’t think he “needs” to do action. I sometimes find those fancy showy scenes don’t fit the dramas. But whatever, its like the laugh, he will do whatever he wants and its my choice to watch or not (and complain or not)

I’ve never heard him complain about kissing scenes? But Ive heard him complain about having to take his shirt off unnecessarily. (I think it would be creepy for any actor to say “I enjoy doing kissing scenes” lol even worse a married actor) 

• Like 5

Just now, dramafan33 said:

I don’t even know why I didn’t drop TGL myself lol! It was meh to me as well. But I think I was like you, exploring at the time. But I no longer force myself to watch anything (only JH dramas and I think I need to stop doing that too)

yeah, I think I will stop now... Seriously, I don't know how anyone can stand watching Gong Hyo Jin, though I don't mind the actor that much.

2 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Yeah I know I like TMWYS better than Voice but I get frustrated arghhhh I want it to be like Beautiful Mind!!!! I know it never will be but I crave that kind of character exploration. 

I hope we will not be disappointed at the end...

In the mean time, Jane translated the preview- 

• Like 2

I think the biggest issue with the show is that we want to see more character development, but they seem to be much more interested in the unfolding of cases each week. I have come to accept that if we want to watch character development, it should not be through this OCN procedural thriller (because the writers are incapable of giving that depth). Sorry, I know some may disagree with me! Yes it has been better than Voice like @Biology Lesson said, but it will not satiate our hope for emotional depth - 10 episodes in and if they don’t do that, I doubt they will do it much in the final 6. I also do not think that it’s the writers’ and director’s focus. The healing aspect may have been JH’s own interpretation of his character and the show, but he may not get it to the extent that he wants. But that’s fine, not every show of JH needs to be a hit, as long as he’s enjoying his filming, and I think sometimes he needs to have some opportunities to reflect on less successful materials too so that it can inform his next choices of roles. 

I am merely guessing that he may take a longer break this time for his next project, due to the Covid scare. Not sure how insistent the TV stations are on dramas in this environment and also, why not use the chance to take a break and avoid public environments for a while? Whatever that is, I am just hoping he returns with a next role and character that is well-written and in a well-produced drama. If it’s a romantic role, then even better. Times like this I am reminded of what @budgerie said - that JH can make bad choices, can have miscalculations, cannot control outcomes - he is human after all and so if the time and place is right, he will experience success again in one of the many next roles he does! 

• Like 3

@The Reel Life Yes, I think we are expecting a bit much from a procedural and OCN drama too. For better focus on a character’s psychology I’ll rewatch Beautiful Mind. With that said, there were things about this episode I enjoyed (I copy what I said in the drama thread) 

Spoiler

I guess the episode had some emotional punch, I felt for the killer who was also the victim

I need to set my expectations right, this drama won’t focus on OHJ and SY psychology but at least they are not “forgotten”, the cases always link back to the main plot which centers around them and their quest. And there’s always some message the detectives learn, so I guess I accept this is the format. 

So I just have to be patient and in the meantime be entertained with the different “cases” they throw at us. This one wasn’t as bad as I thought when I watched it raw. 

Seeing OHJ and SY investigating together is fun, ok, this might not be a super sophisticated detective drama but it is enjoyable, feels like the times I used to accompany my brother while he played video games. He’d be OHJ and I’d be the seemingly clueless but helpful SY. I never “played” myself cause I was too clumsy lol but I helped him think when he had to solve riddles. 

My favorite scene acting wise was the same we saw as the epilogue on ep 8. JH and the senior actor who played Tae sik were very commanding. I love how JHs pupils can turn so black like, his eyes so round, reminds me of my cat when he pretends to see “ghosts” and scares the s...out of me. 

The preview

Does it mention that OHJ went off the grid? Awesome lol. Him being on the team didn’t last long :P Also, I think he will focus on a case to help someone, meaning, he is caring more about strangers, yes! His cold heart is beginning to melt :D

• Like 3