[Esquire July] Jang Hyuk, He Lives By the Manual

Posted on June 19, 2015 by Gumi | 4 Comments

10 Votes

2949846701_aae6a173

Rejoice, our mighty Hyukie came back with his mega sexy magazine photoshoots!! omg he is looking soooo ridiculously beautiful…..as always.

Thanks to janghyuk_no.1 from instagram for posting the photos and interview. Follow her at https://instagram.com/janghyuk_no.1/ 

Translated by myself (Gumi).

cr and more: stuckonhyuk

Jang Hyuk, Han Chae-ah courted for period drama The Innkeeper

by javabeans | July 3, 2015 | 7 Comments

janghyuk_145a.jpg

My first reaction to hearing about this possible casting was that it sounded perfect, so here’s to hoping that Jang Hyuk (Shine or Go Crazy) and Han Chae-ah (Mi-rae’s Choice) sign on to KBS’s upcoming period drama The Innkeeper, offers for which both actors have received and are currently considering.

The Innkeeper is a sprawling historical saga based on a ten-volume novel, serialized from 1979 to 1982 in Seoul Shinmun, featuring the lives of tradesmen in the late Joseon era. The drama centers around a man who inherits a defunct inn, who comes from humble beginnings and turns himself into a top business magnate. If they sign on, Jang Hyuk and Han Chae-ah would play love interests, though there’s not much given about her character aside from her being a lead.

The series will follow the clash between peddlers and businessmen against the bureaucratic powers that oppress them. The hero has a talent for finding creative problem-solving solutions every time he is at risk, thwarting others’ attempts to rig bad deals and blazing a trail for a new way of doing business. I know a government-and-commerce-themed drama might not sound sexy, but at the core this is a success story, and there’s a gratifying trajectory to the rise of any underdog. Plus, these stories always hinge upon the core characters, and Jang Hyuk is a charismatic actor who does well in period fare (say, Chuno, Tree With Deep Roots).

Directing is a PD with lots of sageuk experience, Kim Jong-sun of Gwanggaeto the Great, Dae Jo Yeong, Taejo Wang Geon, and The King and Queen. Writing is Jung Sung-hee of historical dramas King Geunchogo, Ja Myung Go, and Into the Fire.

It was announced previously that KBS was considering the drama for a run this year, and has now fixed its slot on the schedule to follow political drama Assembly, which followsMasked Prosecutor as KBS’s next Wednesday-Thursday drama. That puts The Innkeeper’s premiere in September.

cr: Dramabeans

• Like 2

@yoeda Thanks for the update!

I just read it on Baidu too. Its great news. This guy is too hardworking and too productive! 

A drama a year and all successful ones is no mean feat!!!!

I love Han Chae Ah too, I think she was wasted in Mirae's choice and I really hope she has a chance to shine this time. 

I do like the storyline, I have enough of political historical dramas, some commercial/business oriented ones is good.:wub:

Looks like Hyuk is pairing up with younger actresses nowadays. Good for him!

Edited by qwenli
  • Like 1

@qwenli you're very welcome. As much as I love him in rom com I pretty mesmerize by his peeformance in Midas and TWDR. The genius Hyuk totally fun to watch. For me this new drama is a little mixed from both two drama. I can watch him being smart and cunning all day. :wub:

Another The Innkeeper updated. So, consider it's closed deal now?

Kim Min-jung to join Jang Hyuk in The Innkeeper

by girlfriday | July 8, 2015 | 9 Comments

KBS’s new fall historical epic The Innkeeper is busy rolling out the casting offers: First up were Jang Hyuk (Shine or Go Crazy) and Han Chae-ah (Mi-rae’s Choice), who are still considering their headlining roles, and now Kim Min-jung (Gap-dong) is being courted to join them. I’ve never really loved Kim Min-jung in anything, especially when she’s playing that typical naive wide-eyed innocent girl, but here she’s up to play an antagonist, which could be a promising turn.

The Innkeeper is based on a serial novel that ran in the Seoul Shinmun from 1979 to 1982, and tells the stories of tradesmen and merchants in late Joseon. It’s an underdog success story about a poor man (Jang Hyuk) who inherits an inn and eventually becomes a powerful businessman who doesn’t cave to threats, and fights against the shady alliances between government and big business. He never loses sight of his humble beginnings as a peddler even after achieving great success, and eventually shapes the way that industry and business are done in his time. Han Chae-ah is up to play his love interest.

Kim Min-jung has been offered the role of an ambitious woman who becomes ruthless and twisted due to her obsessive love. Because of her greed to have what isn’t hers, she causes herself pain and brings unhappiness to everyone around her. Gee, what a ray of sunshine. In order to gain a man, she ends up becoming a shaman, which she had opposed her entire life.

Once she becomes a shaman, she gains the favor of Empress Myeongseong (wife of King Gojong) and fights with the queen’s relatives for her affection, eventually becoming extremely powerful. It sounds like it’ll be a deliciously evil role as a character who influences royalty, which will directly affect the hero’s struggle to be free of corrupt government forces.

PD Kim Jong-sun of Gwanggaeto the Great and writer Jung Sung-hee of King Geunchogoare at the helm, and The Innkeeper follows Assembly on Wednesdays and Thursdays beginning in September.

cr: Dramabeans

Edited by yoeda

Jang Hyuk in Talks for New KBS Drama

Jang Hyuk in Talks for New KBS Drama

Actor Jang Hyuk is currently in talks for a new KBS drama.

The actor’s agency Sidus HQ told the media on July 15, “Jang Hyuk has received a casting offer for ‘The Peddler’s Inn’ (working title) and he is considering it positively. It will be decided whether he will take the role after we discuss the details.”

“The Peddler’s Inn” will be a historical drama about a man named Chun Bong Sam, who rises to power as a magnate after starting from the very bottom. It will air in the Wednesday-Thursday evening time slot, after the completion of “Assembly.”

Jang Hyuk’s most recent drama was “Shine or Go Crazy.” He also made a cameo appearance on “Producer.”

http://www.soompi.com/2015/07/14/jang-hyuk-in-talks-for-new-kbs-drama/

• Like 1

Guest adikkeluangman

Behind the scenes from drama Shine or Go Crazy.

장혁 액션 1

Practicing his sword skill

장혁 액션 2

Practicing for the fighting scene.

• 2 weeks later...

KBS’s Master of Trade—Inn 2015 kicks off with a marathon script read

by javabeans | August 4, 2015 | 23 Comments

gaekju1.jpg

Time to check back in with KBS’s upcoming period drama Master of Trade—Inn 2015, which was formerly titled simply The Innkeeper. The drama stars Jang Hyuk (Shine or Go Crazy), Kim Min-jung (Gap-dong), Han Chae-ah (Oohlala Spouses), and Yoo Oh-sung(Joseon Gunman), and the script reads apparently took place a few weeks ago, although we only recently got the photos from the reading.

The reading reportedly took place over a whopping 13 hours, which sounds insane; I hope they weren’t all stuck in one room the whole time, though with a full cast numbering 80 actors, I can see it taking that long to get through everyone. The drama follows the main character (Jang Hyuk), the inheritor of a defunct inn in the late Joseon era, who then works his way up and becomes a great merchant, while challenging the established ways of commerce that favor corrupt deals between government and business.

The Korean word in the title literally means inn, though the multi-volume novel on which the series is based was translated as The Innkeeper. But since they’ve tweaked the title, we’re going with the more literal translation. The “2015” of the title may be a bit confusing since the drama is a historical series, but I suppose it helps to differentiate this one from KBS’s 1983 drama, which was based on the same source material.

Master of Trade—Inn 2015 is directed by sageuk veteran PD Kim Jong-sun of dramas Dae Jo YoungTaejo Wang Geon, and King Gwanggaeto. Writing are Jung Sung-hee and Lee Han-ho of King Geunchogo and Ja Myung Go—so, lots of sageuk experience here. The series is set to follow KBS’s current Wednesday-Thursday show, political drama Assembly, and will premiere in September.

cr and more: Dramabeans

• 3 weeks later...

Credit : https://stuckonhyuk.wordpress.com/

Jang Hyuk interview on magazine <Singles> September issue.

Translated by Gumi. 

Many thanks to JangHyukNo1 for the captures 

img_4817.jpg?w=500 
I asked him to act ‘sitting on top of several chairs and not wanting to let go of a single one’. It probably wasn’t a hard request for an actor with 19 years of career. But Jang Hyuk couldn’t help laughing a little in the middle of shooting. He probably noticed my hidden intention for this cut. In this era when everyone including idol group members try to act, this actor who already turned 40 revealed his steadily-built muscles grabbing chairs as if he really won’t let go of a single one. Jang Hyuk who does not rest a moment and stands in front of camera, crossing borders of Korea, China and Taiwan–is he also afraid of younger actors growing fast and fiercely? “That’s something I’m concerned for ever since my debut. That I will be replaced. Of course a long rest sounds attractive right after I’m finished with a project, but I worry, what if no one wants me after that?”

img_4816.jpg?w=500 
 So Jang Hyuk acts without a break. “Even a character I’ve been deeply immersed in for half a year, I can forget him the day after the filming is finished.” Jang Hyuk’s goal in his rookie years was not becoming a great actor like Al Pacino, and also was not becoming a top star. It was simply ‘keep having a next project to act in.’ In order to start a new drama or movie, he had to get rid of previous work’s character quickly. In other words, Jang Hyuk’s ‘getting rid of a character’ is a survival tactic he taught himself as a young man who desperately wished to survive as an actor. “The main problem is putting on a set of new clothes. I’ve been acting for 20 years, but still putting on new clothes for the first time always feels difficult.” Actor Jang Hyuk is not a clown who dances merrily under inspiration after gulping down some rice wine. He is rather a meticulous artisan who works hard everyday, consistent and sharp like a clock.

img_4818.jpg?w=500 
After returning from army, for nearly a decade, he has acted in 2-3 movies or dramas every year, but there is not a single character that repeats. For every new choice, Jang Hyuk made a rhythmic turn following his own pace, like a nimble boxer in the ring. But his newest drama <God of Commerce-Gaekju 2015> is his third sageuk (historical drama) in a row, after movie <Empire of Lust> and drama <Shine or Go Crazy>. Upon hearing that he will be acting a peddler in late Chosun era, walking all over the country and doing commerce, it’s not unnatural to think “Sageuk again?” Did this boxer accidentally trip over himself? “In fact, I took turn doing sageuk and modern projects. I finished filming <Empire of Lust> and then filmed <Fated to Love You>, and before the current one I filmed a movie <Inside or Outside> in Taiwan.” It wasn’t a flared up excuse, it was a calm explanation. “It is a risk to show three sageuks in a row, I can’t deny it. But the story of characters in original novel caught my attention. The frame of someone who knows how to earn money versus someone who knows how to spend money well…I thought it was very relevant and realistic. I did not want to avoid it just because it is a sageuk.”

img_4819.jpg?w=500 

Jang Hyuk is not the type who deliberately calculates and plans his own image change. He simply jumps in if he sees a character or a project that seems interesting. Modern or sageuk, action, comedy, melo, he boldly jumps over borders of various genres. But Jang Hyuk, in the past, also has once deliberately tried construction of a new image. It is now often introduced as ‘Jang Hyuk’s embarrassing past’–‘TJ project.’ At that time, Jang Hyuk went on stage and rapped in his low voice. “I didn’t do it because I wanted to be a singer. I wanted to show a new image other than my image as a rebellious lonely child, constructed through dramas and movies. Back then it was in trend for actors to show new images through music dramas, and my company suggested I do it in my own album and music video.” Jang Hyuk finally laughs. The album might have been a failure, but TJ project was not. Thanks to it, he could feel free to construct comic images in <Successful Story of a Bright Girl> or <Please Teach Me English>. Instead of sitting and calculating what would be the best move, if you give it all you have for every project and every moment, that is how you get the ‘image change’ and progression. The face of the actor sitting in front of me seemed to be telling me so.

This man who gives off a simple and hardworking vibe like an athlete, indeed enjoys sports like an athlete. Recently he is into boxing and horseback riding. Like any other athlete, he doesn’t want to avoid when he faces an opponent who makes him feel competitious. Why is he into sports? “I don’t work out to build muscles or a body to show.” He also doesn’t do it to show off cool action skills in movies or dramas. For Jang Hyuk, sports or working out is also a form of acting training. “Sports and acting is connected. Acting is not something you can do alone. A scene is completed only when you create ensemble with a partner. Same goes for sports. I enjoy sports that requires a partner. I need to decide what to do according to the other’s movement. When I repeatedly go through boxing training where I need to think how to dodge and how to attack in a short while before opponent’s punch arrives, I become more spontaneous and flexible in thinking. It all helps in acting.” Jang Hyuk stopped for a while and added, “Well, but it’s not like I think of acting 24/7.” When he has free time, he goes camping with his family and enjoys thinking about nothing, and he also drinks with his friends. “Sometimes, after drinking, I suddenly have an impulse to watch films I did before. I reminisce, ‘Wow, I really worked hard back then,’ and think of places I went and people I met during filming. Sometimes I laugh to myself while watching, like a crazy person.”  I imagine Jang Hyuk thinking of acting even when he is drunk. Wait, didn’t he just say it’s not like he thinks of acting 24/7…?!

During this interview which was serious from head to toe, there was one moment when a loud laughter bursted out, and that is when Jang Hyuk described himself as a ‘funny person’. He claims that he is a funny person but media has been editing and only showing his serious side, thus he has serious and solemn image. He then went on for a considerably long time explaining how important humor and wit is, and how you are supposed to apply it…Then he finally sensed staffs standing around trying desperately to hold laughter, and suddenly changed topic as if nothing happened. He said that he is a very ‘tiring’ person, ever since he was young he carefully and discreetly choose every word he says and every action he makes. It has become a habit for himself so he is just fine with it, but he supposes it makes those around him pretty tired. At that moment, everyone couldn’t help but burst into laughter. Jang Hyuk is indeed a funny person. Sometimes when a person is too serious, that seriousness creates cacophony and becomes funny. Just like this case, although I am not sure if this ‘funny’ is the same as the one Jang Hyuk intended.

A real strong person is not the perfect one without weakness but is the one who knows his own weakest, softest spot. “I am a very weak person. To become strong, I work out, and face acting with trained heart. Do you know what I’m most wary of? Becoming ‘used to it’. It’s all over, if I become used to my life, used to acting. Who would ever want an actor who is relaxed and repeats same acting over and over? That’s also why I keep working without a long rest. Beginning is always difficult and hard, but agonizing over every sentence on script allows me to act with new heart, new attitude every day.” I feel like Jang Hyuk’s new drama <God of Commerce-Gaekju 2015> won’t just be a story of a mere peddler growing to become a business magnate influencing entire Chosun. It will also be a well-recorded documentary of how actor Jang Hyuk turns into merchant Chun Bong Sam. Maybe, the real drama actor Jang Hyuk has been showing us for past 19 years is exactly this.

• Like 1

Credit  ; https://stuckonhyuk.wordpress.com/

Gaekju 2015’ Jang Hyuk, 4 hours of hard work in the mountain…first shooting revealed

Posted on August 24, 2015 by Gumi | 2 Comments

3 Votes

Original article from http://sports.donga.com/3/all/20150824/73211100/1
Translated by Gumi

Actor Jang Hyuk poured out all his energy running and running in the mountain for 4 hours.

In upcoming KBS drama ‘God of Commerce- Gaekju 2015’ (Scriptwriter Jeong Sung Hee, Lee Han Ho/ Director Kim Jong Sun/Production SM C&C) that will have its premiere on 23rd, Jang Hyuk acts as Chun Bong Sam, who starts as a peddler and eventually recovers closed ‘Chun’s Gaekju’ and becomes the greatest merchant in Chosun with upright business moral. Jang Hyuk who has shown impressive acting in ‘Chuno (Slave Hunters)’, ‘Tree with Deep Roots’, ‘Shine or Go Crazy’ is once again expected to show brilliant acting in his new character.

Jang Hyuk’s first shooting shows him perfectly transformed as an ‘irresistable character’ Chun Bong Sam. His serious eyes and expressions that deliver tension shows 200% sync with Chun Bong Sam in the story. Trusted actor Jang Hyuk will be portraying merchant Chun Bong Sam who earns money not out of greed but through justice.

Jang Hyuk’s charismatic first shooting took place on 16th at Kyungsangbukdo Andong Buyongdae. After a long time of makeup, Jang Hyuk came out with a tied up hair and dark navy hanbok, overwhelming the site with his presence. Jang Hyuk who is famous for his character analysis had a deep discussion with Director Kim Jong Sun before the shooting began, showing his passion.

That day’s shooting was a scene where Chun Bong Sam is running up the hill in desperate search for something. Jang Hyuk ran and ran under the scorching sun for 4 hours without complaints, creating the best scene. As soon as the camera’s light went off, he carefully monitored himself, and throughout the shooting he did not let go of the script, being his enthusiastic self.

On top of it, during short break time, Jang Hyuk chatted with other actors, leading the cozy atmosphere in the team. But as soon as shooting started, he again transformed into Chun Bong Sam, drawing applause from staff members with his ability to focus and immerse into a character.

The production company said “Jang Hyuk will be showing different aspects from what he has been showing, through ‘God of Commerce- Gaekju 2015’. I am sure he will perfectly deliver Chun Bong Sam, using his acting skills developed from various movies and dramas.”

‘God of Commerce- Gaekju 2015’ is a story of Chun Bong Sam the successor of destroyed ‘Chun’s Gaekju’ starting from a peddler and eventually becoming a successful merchant. Its original novel being Kim Joo Young’s historical fiction ‘Gaekju’ which was published on Seoul Newspaper from 1979 over 1465 episodes, the drama will be portraying peddlers’ lives in late Chosun era.

• Like 1

Jang Hyeok, "3 historicals in a row? I didn't want to avoid them" 

1sNErWh.jpg

Fashion magazine Singles featured actor Jang Hyeok in its September issue. Jang Hyeok wore a strongly patterned trench coat and rider jacket, proving that he's the original macho man. He recently completed making the drama "God of Trade - Innkeeper 2015" as Bo Boo-sang and this makes it his third historical drama. "It might have been too much to star in three historical dramas in a row, but the original characters were interesting so I didn't want to avoid it". Jang Hyeok usually enjoys boxing and horseback riding as a hobby and he says, "Exercising is much like acting. More training means a wider expansion of thought and flexibility". Said like a true acting veteran. Jang Hyeok's pictures can be seen in the September issue of Singles.

LTpxort.jpg

Read more at: HanCinema

• Like 1

Article from : https://stuckonhyuk.wordpress.com/

Jang Hyuk for ELLE magazine

2 Votes

Why waste my time trying to put together coherent sentences here? These Jang Hyuk pics is all you need. Really what ELSE could we possibly need? Let’s just stare! Don’t forget to blink once in a while 

img_5210.jpg?w=500  

img_5211.jpg?w=500