4 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

Yes it is much more better. I think from now I'll only visit this thread when I'm under full sun. Is this soompi's new scheme to loose some followers by turning them blind?  

3 hours ago, budgerie said:

Alot more pleasant!

OK, then :) I guess this is what we'll need to do for now... dark letters, light background...

• Like 1

@corey I know this has nothing to do with the point you are making but here comes a rant, I’m so tired of these “unable to feel emotions” characters in kdrama. They are using that so much it feels like a trope. I’m also tired of the cute girl gets drunk and gets a piggyback ride trope. I don’t even  watch much kdrama but I see a scene like this highlighted in social media for almost every drama. Geesh. Ok I’m done with my rant

Question,  how do you highlight the font? I can’t figure it out 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, corey said:

I wasn't going to comment on soething that's been on my mind recently, but I simply must, because this is so breathtakingly ugly.

Namely, it is a huuge mistake to uglify JH (and wearing such outfits amounts to uglifying him. Oversized tee the colour of wilted weeds with a print that looks as if it was puked on the fabric. Ugh).

The problem is that the uglifying is done, most probably, by JH himself. I don't think that any production, except maybe WOL, wanted JH to be less attractive. I think in most cases it was JH himself, that in order to make his character more authentic or more ordinary looking so that his looks won't distract from the plot, that decided on an "uglier" look. If that is the case, what can anyone do? It's clear JH has his own vision and will, and it's difficult to sway him...

I guess you are saying that if in BM JH had a more attractive look, the show would have been a success. By sheer coincidence, I just finished going over the Soompi thread of BM (I like doing that, it's like time travel :) ), and I think it's safe to conclude that the situation there was more complicated. First, the production itself had trouble from the start. At least two actors were offered the lead role and rejected it, and also, it seems like the production people had many demands of KBS from the get go (some posters suggested that KBS cut the episode numbers to pay them back for the way the production started). The trouble the production was having was well known publicly and may have turned the viewers off from even trying to watch.

Secondly, and this might coincide with what you said about a beautiful FL lead, in the beginning of the show even those that watched had problems with Park So-Dam. Many said that there is a chance that the fact she is not beautiful, but more cute, and also wasn't very famous at the time to the home viewer, as she did more movies, contributed to the low ratings.

To my surprise, no one watching the show ever commented on JH's looks in saying that his hair cut made him less attractive. On the contrary, all the comments, on Soompi and those that were posted on other threads and were posted on Soompi, raved about JH's looks. All of them!

Of course, it's possible that those that found his look there less attractive, decided not to watch at all, which might explain why I didn't see a less positive comment about his looks.

If I try to explain the low ratings of BM, we need to remember that the ratings started very low, meaning it wasn't that people started to watch and then dropped off. It looks like people were turned off from the get go. So I think we can point to the trouble the production had in the beginning, and the promotion campaign. As you guys constantly say, the Korean viewers love simple cutesy romance, but the promotion centered on the psychological aspects of LYO's condition. To me it was fascinating, but I guess for the Korean viewer it was a turn off. The promotion vids didn't indicate anything about the beautiful romance. The only thing indicating on it was the poster. I think those were the mistakes the production did that caused the low ratings. I don't know much about the show you are describing, but it sounds like the romance is the center of the show, and that makes it different. 

I personally don't think they should have hired a prettier actress than PSD. I think her casting was inspired. To me she was perfect casting. I loved every aspect of the show, except maybe the side stories that had nothing to do with LYO. To me- BM is still one of the best Kdramas I've ever seen, and I wish JH will work again with its writer. The only thing that should have been changed was the promotion.

I actually learned interesting things about the filming of BM, it wasn't as I thought it was...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

Is he filming for another variety show at the gym? Caption of the instastory read "Filming for an entertainment show"

Is it me or does his hair looks a bit off? it's not lying flat on the back of his head, but does in the front... The saga of JH and his hair continues... :) 

could he be filming a commercial for the tap ball? 

26 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Is it me or does his hair looks a bit off? it's not lying flat on the back of his head, but does in the front... The saga of JH and his hair continues... :) 

could he be filming a commercial for the tap ball? 

Hahahaha! His hair looks like that because he is wearing a black head band where the Tap ball string is attached to. I guess that made his hair look a little strange.  

And I think he is filming a JTBC vareity show with Ahn Jung Hwan as one of  the hosts because Ahn was spotted at the gym days ago too.

product-image-806857407-1024x1024.png

Now that I look at the video one more time, those 3 guys standing next to him watching him box are really the hosts of the show. The 2 hosts standing nearest to him are the hosts who went to the Grand Canyon with him, Ahn Jung Hwan and Kim Yong Man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Hahahaha! His hair looks like that because he is wearing a black head band where the Tap ball string is attached to. I guess that made his hair look a little strange.  

And I think he is filming a JTBC vareity show with Ahn Jung Hwan as one of  the hosts because Ahn was spotted at the gym days ago too.

product-image-806857407-1024x1024.png

:lol: OH! I wondered what that ball was attached to... That's actually a neat trick. Our gyms are closed, and I want to continue with the boxing... I wonder if they sell that tapball here...  

Edit: oh, and Ahn Jung Hwan is the former football player that JH met on that travel show to the Grand Canyon... Oh, I liked that guy and he seem to really come to like JH... I would like to see them together again... 

• Awesome 1

20 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

:lol: OH! I wondered what that ball was attached to... That's actually a neat trick. Our gyms are closed, and I want to continue with the boxing... I wonder if they sell that tapball here...  

Edit: of, and Ahn Jung Hwan is the former football player that JH met on that travel show to the Grand Canyon... Oh, I liked that guy and he seem to really come to like JH... I would like to see them together again... 

Actually Ahn Jung Hwan was standing beside him in the video. And the one next to Ahn is Kim Yong Man, Hyuk's room mate during the trip. The one who teased his snoring.

IMG-20200710-163854-977.jpg

• Like 1

Another interview with Woo Do Hwan: https://news.kstyle.com/article.ksn?articleNo=2146246

Love his comments about JH:

--How did you feel when you played with the charismatic dictator, Lee Hyung-Woo who played the role of Lee Ban Won? Also, please tell us about the episode you are co-starring with.

U Do Hwan: Jang Hyuk was preparing a lot for each scene.When I saw that it made me feel that I should not be underprepared. Jang Hyuk is the most diligent person Really. He read the script more than anyone else and come up with so many ideas. I have been really impressed by Jung Hyuk's ideas.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

New preview! TJ rap!

His cutest expressions!

Notice how his head moves in the last part of the clip. Again, it's like whenever he hears music, his body goes out of his control and he has to move :) so cute!

Also, I still don't understand why people find TJ so funny... Am I the only one who finds the sickly-sweet ballads that seem to be popular in Korea far cringier? (the rest of the dragon club sing ballads and pop songs, right?)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, corey said:

I know, right? There are plenty of K-Drama tropes which should really disappear and be done for. I remember when I first started watching K-Dramas I was really amazed that there is a drunk girl scene in every drama I saw. and I thought, do Koreans really find it cute when a girl gets drunk?

It's even more icky when drunk girls puke on the clothes of the protagonists. K drama(also some C drama) dudes show remarkable immunity to sympathy pukes. :evillaugh:

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, corey said:

I know, right? There are plenty of K-Drama tropes which should really disappear and be done for. I remember when I first started watching K-Dramas I was really amazed that there is a drunk girl scene in every drama I saw. and I thought, do Koreans really find it cute when a girl gets drunk? Now I get used to it and I suspect that it is the only time when girls feel uninhibited and show some normal human reactions

Also, don't forget that in many Kdramas the girl will actually be nasty, in terms of hygiene. Also, the farting and burping... I guess that's regarded as cute?! :blink:

Yes, JH might have been made more handsome IMHO... But PSD being cute is not problem, people dig cute couples too... But as you said, the love story was not clearly spelled out. In this drama IT's ok not to be ok there is sexual tension between the couple from the frist scene.

But that's what I'm saying, from the comments that I saw NO ONE complained about JH's looks. The complaints centered on PSD- in the first 3-4 episodes even the people watching hated her. And later, when they were trying to understand why the ratings were so low, she was often raised as the main reason, as she wasn't "pretty" enough. Remember that at the time she was a virtual unknown, working mainly in movies.

But I think the main problem was the early production problems. I think the fact that the lead role was rejected by two actors made the audience think that the show was bad. Also, the show was aired against another medical show "Doctors", that was more focused on romance. So, I really don't think they had much of a chance...

IOKNTBOK  is not a cutesly simple love story! The main theme is mental disorder! That is why I mentioned it - mental disorder is at the centre of the drama (which is supposed to be "a healing drama" )  - the  FL's father as a mental disorder, FL has a mental disorder, ML' brother has a mental disorder! THat is why I wanted to discuss it, as difficult as the topic is was not a turn off for K-Drama audience!  Why - I think that was because of these two factors that I  mentioned - sexy beautiful couple and a lot of promotion.

Well, obviously not all shows are cutesy, there are those that have more edge to them like married life and hyenas. But looking at the trailer, it does stress the love story, while if you look at the trailer of BM, there was no mention of a romance. On the other hand, you have KRomComs that don't succede... The moment someone managed to crack the formula to obtain high ratings, that person will be a very rich man... 

Right now there is a poll - voting for the most attractive abs. I dropped to see if anyone submitted JH's in Chuno - and the thread is full of gifs with KSY  and the FL  - Seo Ye Ji. And I think JH/PSD were million times more interesting, cuter and adorable, not to mention nicer people in general.  And yet somehow the show failed.

Again, there are many possible reasons as to why BM had low ratings, as I wrote above. As to if a pretty JH is needed for a successful show? not always. "The Merchant" kinda proved that... I still can't bring myself to watch that... :rolleyes: Also, you might have noticed, JH is not as willing to take off his shirt in the last few years, so it's a choice that he's making, for better or for worse. He seems to be intent on taking himself out of the "sexiest actor" category... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@corey I know this has nothing to do with the point you are making but here comes a rant, I’m so tired of these “unable to feel emotions” characters in kdrama. They are using that so much it feels like a trope. I’m also tired of the cute girl gets drunk and gets a piggyback ride trope. I don’t even  watch much kdrama but I see a scene like this highlighted in social media for almost every drama. Geesh. Ok I’m done with my rant

Question,  how do you highlight the font? I can’t figure it out 

I found a thread on AFN forum that I found funny. It's something like "You are watching a Thai drama when..."

So, here I change it. You're watching a Korean drama when...

- a ML piggyback a drunk FL

- you can be poor but still using latest Samsung handphone

- jerky chaebol with heart of gold ML (pergghh)

- a truck of doom

- noble idiocy everywhere

feel free to add guys. :Megalol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Awesome 1