1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

I actually saw another production that might have interest me more for JH- ‘Now, We Are Breaking Up’- a show to which Park Soo Ae, the actress from Flu, was cast. https://www.soompi.com/article/1408618wpp/soo-ae-in-talks-for-her-first-drama-in-4-years

The writer is the one who wrote Misty, and for a moment I thought the male protagonist wasn't cast. But then I saw an offer was announced in June... Oh, well... 

me too was hoping, but yea - male lead already offered. :cries: It would definitely have been a good one given the writer’s past work. 

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Hmmm... what made you want JH to play in this?  the director being MF's director?

I wanted because he had a good rship with the director and she directed both shows which did really well in ratings and execution. 

I’m really curious if he’s intentionally taking a break, or if there is something that he’s holding out for at the moment? 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

me too was hoping, but yea - male lead already offered. :cries: It would definitely have been a good one given the writer’s past work. 

I agree. I truly wonder what is the process here, as the guy that got the lead is not someone that is established... 

I wanted because he had a good rship with the director and she directed both shows which did really well in ratings and execution. 

The question is does she has any influence on casting decisions for the main roles?

In general, I wonder about JH and his relationships with people in the industry. JH said he makes sure to make people want to work with him again, but more than anything, I see more instances in which JH helps others in the industry get roles and jobs. There are so many actors that JH recommended for a role, big or small, and now we know that he was the one that got the job for the director of MF. Do you think she did him a favor in giving him a cameo in The Crowned Clown or was it the other way round- that he did her a favor in doing that role? I don't see what benefit he got from that cameo... What about Old Goodbye- what is the story of that show? what came first? her being the director of that show, or JH and JNR doing those roles? Something tells me they got the role first... It's clear that more than she supports him, he supports her.

It's obvious JH takes care of his friends in the industry, but I'm not seeing it so much from the other direction- where are all his friends in the industry?!

As to directors- the only repeat ones that I know of are the director of Volcano high and Innocent thing (that I wished JH won't work with ever again...), and the director of Voice that became the producer of TMWYS... Am I missing anyone else?

The Dragon club- whenever they ask him, he does their shows. I guess he does benefit from them, but he's not so comfortable doing them...

CTH- JH did cameos in several of his shows, right? Also, there was the producers show he was supposed to do, but he couldn't take that role at the end... We were just wondering about the friendship between JH and CTH; well, looking at this it looks like CTH is one of JH's only friends that recommends him for a role... That would make him a good friend :)

What about Ordinary person? Did JH get that role because his friend was the lead? Do any of you know?

Kim Soo ro? I know he was the one that asked JH to do Real men, but it was as a favor for him, not for JH. Any thing else I'm forgetting?

I wonder about this cause I feel like considering the work JH did in the past, it's not right that he's still concerned about even getting the next job... 

I’m really curious if he’s intentionally taking a break, or if there is something that he’s holding out for at the moment? 

I wish we knew...

• Like 2

Ok that’s it! I miss Jang Hyuk! :sad1:

@Biology Lesson You ask many good questions, I have no answers :P except, Old Goodbye was the director’s project and she asked JH and JNR to be the leads, but in a way it was them doing her a favor (although it also means they trust her) because, it was her first solo project. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Insightful 1

Money Flower PD is a good director. She has a good track record. Maybe because she's a woman so the're totally into detail. Another good director in JH career is Chuno PD but he seem doesn't have a good track record after that.

I miss him too but in a good drama. MF is the last one that make me satisfy with everything.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

The question is does she has any influence on casting decisions for the main roles?

I agree. I truly wonder what is the process here, as the guy that got the lead is not someone that is established... 

Kim Hee Won is not very established so she might not have that much influence. It seems like drama production, marketing and distribution companies have a lot of say in matter of casting. An actor can also get good roles by developing good interpersonal relationship with a writer/director  

but to have such capacity writer/director have to make a name for themselves first. Ideally JH's agency should work earnestly to win good projects for him. His company doesn't have another lead actor in JH's age group which makes their work much easier.

But in the end every thing boils down to marketability. In our eyes JH is a deserving candidate but from point of business(in his current position) his presence doesn't assure good returns. His 'failed' dramas are not comparable with 'failed' dramas of younger popular actors. These young actors enjoy huge following so even if their dramas rate low the profit can be earned by other means like from advertising, selling distribution rights, exporting dramas to other countries etc.

I don't think actors of JH's age group(whether popular or not) hold such advantage anymore although there are one or two exceptions. 

Romantic comedies and melodramas are main genres of K dramas but most of these roles are not for 40+ actors. 

So for a 40+ actor like JH opportunities will be limited but the creators will have plenty of options to choose from the saturated pool of 40+ actors. Generally the older actors have found their niche in the industry and they hardly overstep their boundries unlike JH. 

That's why now I only wish for good luck for JH. One day he has to stumble on one great project. :approves:

The guy who got lead role has history of working in indie movies in Europe. I've heard his acting is good and he probably suits the role(most important thing). I like Soo Ae but I don't want JH to star in a drama having such title.:sweat_smile: 

He should only have great roles like Lee Bang Won, Lee Young Oh and Lee Daegil.

I'm loving new emojis !:dorakiss:

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

PD of money flower, if only she and JH reunited for this! Felt like it was a role he would have done really well and it’s a romcom too. Maybe they wanted a younger actor. 

SJK is a good 9 years younger than JH so you could be right, they want a younger actor to do romance. Plus he's now single, coupleship can be stirred up to create some heat for the drama.

I know this sounds absurb in the western community but it's not absurb & is applicable in the asian community. That once a man hit a certain age, in his 40s, married with kids, he is less considered for the romance role. Not saying totally zero no romance drama but to a certain extent, his age/marital status does affect. JH was 38 when he did FTLY, haven't hit the 40s yet.

About JH, he has great range and vision but he does need a director to reign him in, especially in comedic roles or super dramatic moments or when his character is supposed to be energetic which is where he can go overboard. Shine or go crazy is one example of a drama where I believe the PD wasn’t directing much.

In WOL too. He didn't come across as a gangster at all. To me it's like watching cartoon but not in its cartoon form.

SOGC is another drama that I see LG in a traditional costume. There's so much of LG in his acting.

On the otherhand, I know we've discussed this before, the reason why JH isn't getting roles that we think he's supposed to be getting. Although he made sure the actresses/actors want to work with him again after every project, but am not sure his style is suitable to all Director-nim. You know what I mean? There are still Directors who want to have the final say & the final cut.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, budgerie said:

SJK is a good 9 years younger than JH so you could be right, they want a younger actor to do romance. Plus he's now single, coupleship can be stirred up to create some heat for the drama.

I know this sounds absurb in the western community but it's not absurb & is applicable in the asian community. That once a man hit a certain age, in his 40s, married with kids, he is less considered for the romance role. Not saying totally zero no romance drama but to a certain extent, his age/marital status does affect. JH was 38 when he did FTLY, haven't hit the 40s yet.

I guess you are right. And I saw what was the reaction when JH was first cast for FTLY- I saw many comments attacking him being cast saying that he was too old and more of a dramatic actor, as most of them didn't even know he started out doing comedies... this view from the Korean audience is very frustrating, but I think after the success of FTLY, he will now be accepted more in Rom coms, but obviously he didn't find another rom com role that interested him...

In WOL too. He didn't come across as a gangster at all. To me it's like watching cartoon but not in its cartoon form.

If you saw Robbers you might notice that JH's character in WOL is actually based on the gangster character from that show. I actually think that JH's acting in WOL was some of the worst that I saw. You could feel that wasn't being directed, but to my surprise, all the comments that I saw about him loved his acting and his character in WOL. Go figure...

On the otherhand, I know we've discussed this before, the reason why JH isn't getting roles that we think he's supposed to be getting. Although he made sure the actresses/actors want to work with him again after every project, but am not sure his style is suitable to all Director-nim. You know what I mean? There are still Directors who want to have the final say & the final cut.

I think you are right. People here mentioned the PD of Chuno, whom I actually don't think is a good director, but if you see his comments about JH, as much as he appreciated his contribution and talent and even admitted that without JH the show wouldn't have been the same, he still was very frustrated with JH and mentioned how tiring JH's attention to details can be. He actually called JH a leech nerd! The reality is that after Chuno, he didn't work again with JH, while he did two more projects with Oh Ji Ho: The Fugitive: Plan B and Basketball; a nice guy, but no where near the actor that JH is.

This is why I always say that JH cannot continue to be "Just an actor". Because of the unique way he works and because of his amazing insight into stories and characters, I really think he needs to start to be more involved in productions, to have an official position that gives him more of a say on the script.

Another thing we need to remember; as much as we complain about the roles that JH gets, he still has an unusual number of good projects under his belt. Unusual for any actor. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

53 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I actually think that JH's acting in WOL was some of the worst that I saw.

Haiz...that drama is everything WRONG to me. 1st, his screen time is so little. 2nd, the storyline is uninteresting. 3rd, he doesn't play the gangster according to what I would expect. 4th, that horrible looking haircut! 5th, the annoying FL in the drama (not her in person, it's her drama character).   

how tiring JH's attention to details can be. He actually called JH a leech nerd! The reality is that after Chuno, he didn't work again with JH, while he did two more projects with Oh Ji Ho:

That's what I meant. Although Director-nim may praise JH for a job well done but not many Director want to work with someone like JH. Not saying paying attention to details is no good but Director has got his own work to do too, he cannot concentrate solely on 1 actor's demands or whatever. He has other areas to look out for too. These Directors could find working with JH burdensome. 

This is why I always say that JH cannot continue to be "Just an actor". Because of the unique way he works and because of his amazing insight into stories and characters, I really think he needs to start to be more involved in productions, to have an official position that gives him more of a say on the script.

He can be Director/actor at the same time. Many C actors have done that. They become director & act in the drama or movie at the same time. Not sure if this is common in K industry but it's common in C industry. That once the actors/actress have "reached" a certain status, they open their own agency. And they hire people to be their manager. This way I guess the actors actress have more say as to what he or she wants to accept.

• Like 4

Read this interesting blog on Naver today here - Naver post on 2 July 2020

The blogger complained about the garbage problem at her apartment. Some of the residents were not separating their trash properly, and it really caused a lot of problems for others.

Then she mentioned that actor Jang Hyuk stays in the same apartment block as her. She didn't really like him as an actor. But when she saw him doing his recycling a few days ago, it changed her thoughts about him. She finds him really family oriented and likeable. She also mentioned at the comments section that even though he was wearing a mask, he shines! Not sure if the translation from papago app is accurate though. But this is what I gathered from reading the blog. :ilike:

I must be missing him too much..why do I find that this emoji reminds me of his expression here???

:approves:

ezgif-com-video-to-gif.gif

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, budgerie said:

Haiz...that drama is everything WRONG to me. 1st, his screen time is so little. 2nd, the storyline is uninteresting. 3rd, he doesn't play the gangster according to what I would expect. 4th, that horrible looking haircut! 5th, the annoying FL in the drama (not her in person, it's her drama character).   

Completely agree. I couldn't stand the fact that he was mindlessly in love the  FL... She was so annoying! I tried watching around her, but it was impossible, so I just stopped. All I saw was that JH-cut that someone made from the show. Still waiting for a similar one for MC... :)

2 hours ago, budgerie said:

He can be Director/actor at the same time. Many C actors have done that. They become director & act in the drama or movie at the same time. Not sure if this is common in K industry but it's common in C industry. That once the actors/actress have "reached" a certain status, they open their own agency. And they hire people to be their manager. This way I guess the actors actress have more say as to what he or she wants to accept.

The problem is that he said that he doesn't want to be a director. I wonder why is he resisting. Why doesn't he realize that he needs to move on and expand? Maybe it's the same thing that makes him say he doesn't want to be a star, just to act? Maybe he still feels like the new comer that is not good enough? I wonder...

• Like 3

Completely agree. I couldn't stand the fact that he was mindlessly in love the  FL... She was so annoying! I tried watching around her, but it was impossible, so I just stopped. All I saw was that JH-cut that someone made from the show. Still waiting for a similar one for MC... :)

But I rather watch MC than WOL. At least MC got the 2 veteran actors, the one who acted as King & the one who acted as NJ. The 2 young guys & the FL I can do without. Heehee!

The problem is that he said that he doesn't want to be a director. I wonder why is he resisting. Why doesn't he realize that he needs to move on and expand? Maybe it's the same thing that makes him say he doesn't want to be a star, just to act? Maybe he still feels like the new comer that is not good enough? I wonder...

Director truly a lot of work. After filming is done, got to do those post filming stuff. I guess it'll take up lots of his time. As an actor, once he's done with his filming, he can go home & relax until the next project. 

I guess he just only want to act & that's it. If he wanted to be a star to start with, he would be taking on those more prominent projects. My opinion only. 

• Like 5

To promote OCN's collaboration with a Taiwan TV station, now they have OCN theme trains there. The TV station will be broadcasting a series of OCN dramas, and the first one starting this Sat (July 4) will be Voice 1.

128065-853101.jpg

128065-853095.jpg

New trailer for Hometown Flex ep 1

Simon D x Lee Si-eon x Jang Hyuk #Dialect bombing 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

To promote OCN's collaboration with a Taiwan TV station, now they have OCN theme trains there. The TV station will be broadcasting a series of OCN dramas, and the first one starting this Sat (July 4) will be Voice 1.

128065-853101.jpg

128065-853095.jpg

I wondered what were those posts about... a OCN themed train? That's new...

New trailer for Hometown Flex ep 1

Simon D x Lee Si-eon x Jang Hyuk #Dialect bombing 

At least here we get to see him talk. Nice to see the Busan guys connect... I'm always amazed by JH's body language- so shy, so child-like... and not to mention his constant nodding! :D

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

In general, I wonder about JH and his relationships with people in the industry. JH said he makes sure to make people want to work with him again, but more than anything, I see more instances in which JH helps others in the industry get roles and jobs. There are so many actors that JH recommended for a role, big or small, and now we know that he was the one that got the job for the director of MF. Do you think she did him a favor in giving him a cameo in The Crowned Clown or was it the other way round- that he did her a favor in doing that role? I don't see what benefit he got from that cameo... What about Old Goodbye- what is the story of that show? what came first? her being the director of that show, or JH and JNR doing those roles? Something tells me they got the role first... It's clear that more than she supports him, he supports her.

It's obvious JH takes care of his friends in the industry, but I'm not seeing it so much from the other direction- where are all his friends in the industry?!

Yea good question.  I think it also has to do with timing and just the person JH is.  He is a giver and he actively goes for what he wants and pretty much keeps himself busy by helping someone else or already on whatever project.  Maybe they did offer, but he's already committed to something else.

I miss JH too, but it hasn't been that long since TMWYS right?  Also, maybe he's taking his time because of COVID and watching out for his family.  Yes, he did do reality show but that's only a few days vs drama shooting or movie shooting.  I rather him take his time and actually pick something more solid then feeling like i'm watching something not quite there again.  You know like it has potential, but they just did not go there.

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1

22 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Can it be 12 July tomorrow?:eats2:

1593782161297-452229137.jpg

I wonder what was going on in this sequence, when all three lifted their hands except for JH. I guess this is about food, and JH wanted something no one else wanted, that made them smile? Cause it looks like they needed to explain something to JH following that :) 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

15 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I wonder what was going on in this sequence, when all three lifted their hands except for JH. I guess this is about food, and JH wanted something no one else wanted, that made them smile? Cause it looks like they needed to explain something to JH following that :) 

It certainly looks like it! Can't wait for the subs! I want to know why they tease him!!:eats:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

12 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

It certainly looks like it! Can't wait for the subs! I want to know why they tease him!!:eats:

Whatever it is, it looks like JH can't help but be quirky :coolcat:even if he's just standing around. Always makes people around him smile just by being himself :D

Edit: listening to it again, it seems like the three asked for americano, and JH asked for late. It's again JH and his coffee obsession! :lol: What I don't understand, not being a coffee person,  is why JH's preference of late so funny?

• Like 4
  • LOL 1