1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

I don't know anything about Busan men, except JH, that is. I'm just basing my opinion on that CTH is extremely noisy in the clips they released, while the guests seem to be much quieter. I wonder if the show is just the two presenters being over the top...

I’m joking. I mean the stereotype exists but It’s not like I believe it. It was just a joke. Anyway, CTH is always loud so the show is probably about the presenters from Seoul being obnoxious which I find “meh” but I look forward to seeing JH :)

• LOL 3

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I don't know anything about Busan men, except JH, that is. I'm just basing my opinion on that CTH is extremely noisy in the clips they released, while the guests seem to be much quieter. I wonder if the show is just the two presenters being over the top...

Me also don't know anything about Busan men or Seoul men. But it could be just CTH onscreen image. His real person may not be like this. You remember in DB, KJK mentioned that he did lots of variety shows & (sorry I can't remember his exact words) something to the extent of having to "make people happy" or "engaging the crowd" that he (as the host) has to do something or to feel upbeat. Maybe it's just for the sake of the programme but their real person may not be what we see onscreen. The CTH or KJK or JH we see are onscreen them. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

I'm biased but I think he sounds very sexy when speaking his Busan dialect!

Cool! Looking at the slow motion of him in the car, he seems to be singing :) If this is where JH grew up, it looks beautiful!

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Me also don't know anything about Busan men or Seoul men. But it could be just CTH onscreen image. His real person may not be like this. You remember in DB, KJK mentioned that he did lots of variety shows & (sorry I can't remember his exact words) something to the extent of having to "make people happy" or "engaging the crowd" that he (as the host) has to do something or to feel upbeat. Maybe it's just for the sake of the programme but their real person may not be what we see onscreen. The CTH or KJK or JH we see are onscreen them. 

Whatever it is, he's grating on me... :) But I like seeing how mellow JH is here... He seems like he's enjoying himself

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Am not quite used to it yet. What's "reputation" (based on what) and what's soompi points? :)

12 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Oh let me post something to see my own left side panel too haha

Edit : Oh i am an immortal haha.. and yeah, what the reputation stuff ?

I think the reputation is the number of 'likes' you got on your messages... As to the soompi points, I have no idea, but I can see that I can donate them to other posters...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, corey said:

You get soompi points for posting. I think 10 soompi points per one post? Not sure. You can use them for buying stuff in the Members Shop - one of the tabs at the top of the page (blue bar light blue font).

Some of the things in the shop are quite expensive...

But there is also a "donate soompi points" link at the bottom of each post. What's with that?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I think the reputation is the number of 'likes' you got on your messages... As to the soompi points, I have no idea, but I can see that I can donate them to other posters...

Good grief! Initially when I started coming here, I didn't even know I could "like" other people post. It was after awhile that I realised (ok, this shows my computer skills). Infact I didn't also know how to post/change profile photo. It was @azureblue7who came to my aid always. Many thanks again @azureblue7

You get soompi points for posting. I think 10 soompi points per one post? Not sure. You can use them for buying stuff in the Members Shop - one of the tabs at the top of the page (blue bar light blue font).

Some of the things in the shop are quite expensive...

Didn't know about this as well. Came here to chit chat with fans, not so much thinking of buying stuff. Hahaha!

Anyway, @budgerie, I have watched the remake of Fated to Love you up to episode 29. Here is what I think

Many thanks! Here's what I think...

Spoiler

Yes, the ML is too young to be casted. The reason why I'm out of drama to watch is because the new drama all have very young cast in their 20s. I know I'm supposed to give them a chance (JH was also in his 20s before) but at my current state of life now, I find guys in their 20s still boys. :rolleyes: XZL is 23 years old. Too young for such a role IMO. Ethan Ruan (Taiwan FTLY ML) was 26 when he was casted. JH was 38 when he was casted. The Thai FTLY ML was 32 when he was casted. And fyi, the jap version of FTLY 2020 ML is also 23 years old. 

The c version followed the original version. The K version changed it to the FL is quiet, the ML is like how JH had acted. The original is the other way round, the FL is bubbly & chatty while the ML is cold & quiet. As for 2nd ML, even in K version, didn't the 2nd ML proved a much better personality person towards MY? :)

I don't get what you mean by you could understand the motivation better in this version as you couldn't get it from JNR in the 2014 version. Can you elaborate? TBH, apart from finding her having fantastic chemistry in the drama with JH, I didn't quite find any thing extraordinary about her. But of course, this drama, because of her & JH collaboration, the drama could spark. It was like as though they were a couple for real which caused crazy fans to be upset that JH is already a married man with kids. 

In any drama, there's bound to have loopholes in the writing. In FTLY K version I really couldn't stand the part where the room numbers 6 & 9 could ....we're talking about a 5 star hotel here in Macau, The Venetian (ok it used to be a 5 star but IDK about now), before any room can be released to the Front Desk for new check in, the room has to be checked by the Housekeeper first to ensure it is ok for the next guest & yet, such a big mistake can be made. Hahaha...I question the ability of the scriptwriter as well. Plus the security is so laxed that MY relatives could go in & out of the room or corridor not causing suspicion to the security staff? But dramaland is dramaland. It just create stories that audience love.

Same like you, I cannot stand the "sleeping with you when I'm drunk" type of scenario. Or the scenario where she's forced to marry him, he abused, pushed her, ignored her but later fall deeply in love with her. Thai drama has many of this. Forcing her to sleep with him but when she's asleep, he showed his love/affection.

You mentioned this writer is like a 12 year old. Do you believe, sometimes how a drama is written is what the writer wished it to be in her or his real life? Romance stories especially. Fantasy love story, where the prince & princess live happily ever after. IMO, it's so unrealistic that sometimes gives the younger generation of audience a fake impression of what a relationship is like. There's no "and they live happily ever after" in a real relationship. Like a ship in the water, there's bound to have calm wave, rough wave or very bad wave. It's up to the captain or the whoever that commands the ship to steer the ship safely out of the danger. Same for relationship.

Hey, check out the 2020 japanese version. But the ML is also 23 years old. Very young.

On the c drama side, there are 2 new drama, title : We are all alone starring Godfrey Gao & Qin Lan. Godfrey passed on last Nov at the age of 35 so this drama was his last. Another drama is Lose to you starring Marcus Chang. I haven't watched both.

• Like 2

@budgerie @corey Sorry to *butt in* but since Im rewatching FTLY I want to participate.

Spoiler

I honestly don’t think Daniel Pitt was better for MY. He came off as very pushy and annoying (to me). I never watched the original but I read a lot of comments and comparisons with the korean version and the general consensus (from people who enjoyed both) was that JHs version was an improvement in the sense that he was less of a jerk than the original, who treated the female lead terribly for half the drama while LG only treated her badly at the very beginning, but then the falling in love process started and it was easier to see why she loved him (and eventually forgave his stubbornness and mistakes) But, I also got the impression that the second lead in the original was much better and everyone wanted her with the female lead. Whereas with Daniel Pitt, they actually cut some of his scenes. Of course there probably was some people who had second lead syndrome with him but it clearly was a minority. 

@corey

Hmmm Jang Nara is adorable but I think she is so tiny one can’t qualify her as having a great figure (?) To me, MY did sell the “average” person look and besides that, a pretty person can feel insecure and insignificant to the point that they become invisible. Pleasant features alone don’t make a person assertive. She was also not exceptional in terms of skills, as they repeatedly said, even her mother said it, she was never a good student. MY learned to shine throughout the drama. 

And yes the k-version established that she was a good person that people took advantage of. They established it from her first scene where she is bringing coffee to everyone and she got taken for granted, she told her friend she felt sorry saying no to people and her friend literally told her she was too nice so people took advantage. Then her mother said it in front of the whole town and she also showed it time and time again.

I also heard that the original Se Ra was a full villain (so I guess the new chinese version is much closer to the original)  

Question if the ML used protection in this new version, how did she get pregnant? Did it break? :ph34r:

P.S I visited the member’s shop but I don’t understand a thing. What can one buy? Stickers? 

More P.S I watched the original japanese version of “Boys over flowers” and I don’t remember it being that bad! That was actually my first asian drama :P Times have surely changed (for the better in this particular case)

Last P.S I donated you some points just to test it lol  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, budgerie said:

Many thanks! Here's what I think...

Hide contents

Yes, the ML is too young to be casted. The reason why I'm out of drama to watch is because the new drama all have very young cast in their 20s. I know I'm supposed to give them a chance (JH was also in his 20s before) but at my current state of life now, I find guys in their 20s still boys. :rolleyes: XZL is 23 years old. Too young for such a role IMO. Ethan Ruan (Taiwan FTLY ML) was 26 when he was casted. JH was 38 when he was casted. The Thai FTLY ML was 32 when he was casted. And fyi, the jap version of FTLY 2020 ML is also 23 years old. 

The c version followed the original version. The K version changed it to the FL is quiet, the ML is like how JH had acted. The original is the other way round, the FL is bubbly & chatty while the ML is cold & quiet. As for 2nd ML, even in K version, didn't the 2nd ML proved a much better personality person towards MY? :)

I don't get what you mean by you could understand the motivation better in this version as you couldn't get it from JNR in the 2014 version. Can you elaborate? TBH, apart from finding her having fantastic chemistry in the drama with JH, I didn't quite find any thing extraordinary about her. But of course, this drama, because of her & JH collaboration, the drama could spark. It was like as though they were a couple for real which caused crazy fans to be upset that JH is already a married man with kids. 

In any drama, there's bound to have loopholes in the writing. In FTLY K version I really couldn't stand the part where the room numbers 6 & 9 could ....we're talking about a 5 star hotel here in Macau, The Venetian (ok it used to be a 5 star but IDK about now), before any room can be released to the Front Desk for new check in, the room has to be checked by the Housekeeper first to ensure it is ok for the next guest & yet, such a big mistake can be made. Hahaha...I question the ability of the scriptwriter as well. Plus the security is so laxed that MY relatives could go in & out of the room or corridor not causing suspicion to the security staff? But dramaland is dramaland. It just create stories that audience love.

Same like you, I cannot stand the "sleeping with you when I'm drunk" type of scenario. Or the scenario where she's forced to marry him, he abused, pushed her, ignored her but later fall deeply in love with her. Thai drama has many of this. Forcing her to sleep with him but when she's asleep, he showed his love/affection.

You mentioned this writer is like a 12 year old. Do you believe, sometimes how a drama is written is what the writer wished it to be in her or his real life? Romance stories especially. Fantasy love story, where the prince & princess live happily ever after. IMO, it's so unrealistic that sometimes gives the younger generation of audience a fake impression of what a relationship is like. There's no "and they live happily ever after" in a real relationship. Like a ship in the water, there's bound to have calm wave, rough wave or very bad wave. It's up to the captain or the whoever that commands the ship to steer the ship safely out of the danger. Same for relationship.

Hey, check out the 2020 japanese version. But the ML is also 23 years old. Very young.

On the c drama side, there are 2 new drama, title : We are all alone starring Godfrey Gao & Qin Lan. Godfrey passed on last Nov at the age of 35 so this drama was his last. Another drama is Lose to you starring Marcus Chang. I haven't watched both.

I think the age of the cast depend on their country culture. For K-actor, most their prime is the actor on 20's to 30's. When you hit 40 it's a rarity to get a character unless some of the establish name. For Thai, what I'm seeing their prime is around 20's. When you hit 30's you consider the old generation. I've seen some of the star start taking mature character even the're only in teen years.

Here in my country the 30's something actor already being cast as a mother/father for 20's or 30's actor. It's depend on your popularity. If you still can hold being the lead when you reach 30's. It's really a sad situation for me.

edit: I commented regarding the first paragraph only

• Insightful 2

Sill does not hurt to check the Member's shop :D

Seriously, if anyone wants points, I can donate. Heehee!

In C version, they explained that FL is a pushover because she is inherently a good person, always willing to help and it that is why people took advantage of her. In K version I had a feeling that FL was just a pushoever, without this "good" side of her. And I can relate to the C version, because I am sometimes like that in real life - I try to be good and people take advantage...So I liked FL better in C version.

Thank you for explaining. I think in the k version it was also shown that MY was a pushover because she generally likes to help people that people began to take advantage. But I also felt she should learn to say NO when it was too much, the first guy that she likes, the one she went to Macau with. He was truly a jerk!

I will definitely check the Japanese version too. I haven't watched many J shows - I had a very bad tase after trying to watch the J version of Boys over FLowers. That was really horrible. I gave up after the second lead said to first male lead "C'mon, rape is not ok" - as if he was scolding him for , IDK, picking his nose or not washing his hands. BUt I will give it a try out of curiosity.

The last proper jap drama I watched was so long time ago (in the late 70s) but in those days, it was such a huge hit. Featuring Momoe Yamaguchi & Tomokazu Miura who was her onscreen partner in a number of drama who later became her real husband. I was in school then & wished myself could meet such a lovely man in real life too. Hahaha, the effects of drama. :D

Also - I find the C version more realistic in terms of "sleeping together". At least it was semi-consensual sex? Sort of? They were both drunk but at least the ML was sober enough to use the protection, LOL.

And boy, didn't they make the FL's ex  girlfriend a real villain here? That was a bit harsh on the poor ballerina.

I didn't watch the c version yet...so if ML used protection, why did FL have to marry him? Or she didn't marry him? The protection failed??

Yes, in the original T version, the 2nd FL was more scheming than Sera in the k version.

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@budgerie @corey Sorry to *butt in* but since Im rewatching FTLY I want to participate.

Sure! The more the merrier! We're all bored to death waiting for JH next project. :lol:

I honestly don’t think Daniel Pitt was better for MY. He came off as very pushy and annoying (to me). I never watched the original but I read a lot of comments and comparisons with the korean version and the general consensus (from people who enjoyed both) was that JHs version was an improvement in the sense that he was less of a jerk than the original, who treated the female lead terribly for half the drama while LG only treated her badly at the very beginning, but then the falling in love process started and it was easier to see why she loved him (and eventually forgave his stubbornness and mistakes) But, I also got the impression that the second lead in the original was much better and everyone wanted her with the female lead. Whereas with Daniel Pitt, they actually cut some of his scenes. Of course there probably was some people who had second lead syndrome with him but it clearly was a minority. 

I actually can't remember much about the k version of FTLY since it was 6 years ago. I think the 2nd ML to me was quite ok. He was trying hard to protect MY from LG. I thought he was quite a gentleman as he didn't immediately express his liking to her knowing she's a married woman not by love but by sex (since he heard her confession by pretending to be a priest).

The original T version ML was damn annoying! He treated the FL badly until she left with the 2nd ML than he discovered he likes her. I also can't recall the exact story since it was 2008. The 2nd ML in the T version was softer & kinder towards the FL. I think too that she's better off with him but love is such a mysterious thing. Even though that chap might treat you like richard simmons, if you love him, you'll still willingly stay with him & accept all the richard simmons. :phew:

it was rather hilarious with the "protection".  It got sabotaged ("full of holes") by the ML's assistant at the behest of his grandmother, who wanted grandchildren badly, and the ML of course was supposed to be on the cruise ship with this girlfriend (called Anna, as in the T version). I would have killed someone for doing things like that to me but the assistant just got hit by a pillow. I suppose Chinese rich people really have a very mild temper, lol.

Pretty unrealistic here. Err...I mean, the protection, once it's opened it's opened. You can't put it back after making all the holes. Hahaha!

Regarding second lead and Daniel Choi. I never understood how MY just never reacted to the fact that he lied to her at the beginning about being a priest, or at least never corrected her misunderstanding? I can't remember. Why did he even lied to her? To get her open up to him? I would have made me sooo very mad too.

Gosh, this is like a memory test. I don't think he intentionally wanted to lie but he happened to be in the confessional & she just confessed assuming he's the priest. But I guess he didn't tell her the truth because he wanted to be a "friend" for her knowing she's alone in that community with a husband who didn't like her (yet) & perhaps MY would feel more at ease telling her feelings to the priest because she felt safe/secure & priests are not allowed to share other people secrets.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, corey said:

Oh, you did not watch it? I was under the impression you did, in the meantime, because it took me some time to reply you your request to tell you how the drama was. Anyway, about the protection, it is already explained and here is about the marriage,

I kinda like the FL look but ML looks too young for my liking.

16 minutes ago, corey said:

so they went along with the ceremony and signed marriage certificate, got drunk during the party afterwards and then had sex - it later turned out that the marriage was actually legal - so they conceived the baby as a legally married couple! Times have certainly changed, haven' they. 

Hmm...in real life, don't walk in to a marriage like this. Lol. They changed the story a little. Could be due to C audience would probably blast the scriptwriter for making a baby out of wedlock.

21 minutes ago, corey said:

I think I will  check the T version now, which I dropped early... I am really curious about the "relationship dynamics" how the various writers change that.

You'll probably drop it again due to it being so old, 12 years have past. Plus it's a T drama, there are some dialect in it which might not be translated (IDK). The style of speech of taiwan is rather different from mainland. Taiwanese speech is usually loud which looks rude but it may not necessarily be, they're more exaggerated in their expression of speech which to a non taiwanese might look like they're quarrelling...

Aaa, so I recalled correctly, that Daniel did not lie, but just never corrected her mistake. And this is exactly why I would get mad - to pretend to be a priest to make people share their secrets and open up. And she did not react at all! Not evern an eyeblink or a question.

I hate it when the FL is a damsel in distress role. But again, maybe not so much now due to woman are getting more education, but in earlier days in china or even any asian countries when girls are not so educated, you jolly well listen to the men in the household. You're not supposed to ASK or QUESTION. Probably MY is one such girl, you do as you're told.

Also a side note - they changed XZL voice again - meaning he was dubbed with the voice of yet another actor - but I think Liang Jie (FL) speaks with her own voice! She was in the drama "The Eternal LOve" with XZL and has a rather distinct, slightly nasal voice which suits her character very well and I was really happy she speaks the same.

There are many types of mandarin accent in Mainland China. If I'm not wrong, the Beijing accent is deemed the 'right' one for TV. So if any artistes that doesn't speak with Beijing accent, their voices would most likely be dubbed.  

I thought about it any you can just make a tiny hole (or several holes) thought the packing. You do not have to open the whole thing. If someone is very drunk, probably would not notice.

Ok, I forgot about the drunk part. And at night in darkness, no one noticed the packaging had been tampered with. Lol.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, corey said:

He he, having struggled with my weight my entire life, anything that is thin is a "great figure" for me.

If I can give you some comfort, in chinese, people don't call it fat. People call it "fa fu" which means prosperity. :lol:

51 minutes ago, corey said:

I thought about "the goodness" thing again, and I conclude that in K-version MY for me is much more passive than Jiaxin. Jiaxin actually volunteered to bring coffee for her co-workers! Which I do not think is the case for MY. Also, JX agreed to go through the marriage ceremony because she wanted to help XY (not ecause she was dragged or forced to do so) and later defended him vigorously in front of her mother. So I can relate with her because I am somewhat (or used to be) similar - doing things for people even when not asked and of course people do take advantage. Whereas in MY's case IMHO she did these things because she did not have the guts to refuse.

But that is of course just my impression. It is really almost the only thing that I liked better than the K-version.

You got me thinking too. Yes I think the k version MY is too timid to refuse. Apart from her being nice of course.

58 minutes ago, corey said:

I do not think I would mind that. I got used to the loud tones in K-Dramas, LoL. It was at first rather shocking to me that in Kdramas people would have conversations in such loud voices (Lee Gon is the best example, lol). In my country speaking with such loud tones would be considered extremely rude, people would be reprimended immediately not to speak so loudly - sometimes I have this urge when watching K-Drama, just to wince and tell people to speak in lower voices -  but I suppose it is acceptable in K-Dramaland - IDK about real life in SKorea, one of the things for me to check when I go there....

Hahaha...good luck ya. I couldn't bring myself to watch it again even though I had enjoyed it in 2008. But then again, it was that era so the clothes/makeup/hair, environment & surrounding was appropriate at that time when it was aired. I wonder if k drama would remake another very popular taiwan drama "the prince who turned into a frog"  year 2005. I prefer the ML of this drama compared to the ML of the taiwan FTLY.

• Like 2