1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Earlier on I tried afew times couldn't post but I didn't try now.

Oops! Sorry for the small font. I am wearing old flower eye (老花眼) glasses so I could see clearly. Hahaha! 

Reveal hidden contents

Sidetrack : any nice drama of WC lately?

Nah, I am on a drama drought now 

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

@AgnesO @azureblue7 No wonder Crash Landing On You was so popular, it has war ( not really but he is a soldier), fighting (some), injured (a little) and fall in love (a lot) haha... I must admit I only watched the injured portions 

Oh and DOTS has similar elements too, no wonder so popular as well 

Yeah when you said war and love, i immediately thought of descendants of the sun haha. 

I don’t know if I want him in a war drama. Not a fan of those. I just want a drama with a proper main plot that advances Quickly each week. The character development and plot advancement of TMWYS is abit slower than to my liking (maybe this is also the reason why it doesn’t grip the general audience as much). Granted, it’s already much better than Voice (which was annoying to me). I would however acknowledge that if it wasn’t for Hyukie, I probably wouldn’t watch this show. Procedurals are generally quite boring to me :sweatingbullets:

• Like 4

@The Reel Life I agree that I also prefer faster character development. I’m enjoying TMWYS but I grow impatient for the same reasons. Interestingly I used to watch series like “Criminal Minds” and enjoy them but I think my expectation for kdramas is different. In fact, in Criminal Minds I was more into the cases, the criminals and victims. I sometimes found the detectives a bit cheesy/annoying and didn’t like it when the cases revolved around them (only sometimes). But there are series where I was very much into the main characters and the cases (X Files, for example, a different genre but same idea) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Yeah when you said war and love, i immediately thought of descendants of the sun haha. 

I don’t know if I want him in a war drama. Not a fan of those. I just want a drama with a proper main plot that advances Quickly each week. The character development and plot advancement of

A war drama would be a nice idea. Since JH likes dealing with deep emotions, I'd love him to deal with PTSD. The movie "Obsessed" kinda started dealing with that, but I guess they were too busy showing the leads in various positions, so they kinda dropped that plot line... ^_^

I can't say I have any aversions to any particular genre (except maybe sagas, I guess. I hate shows that span across many years, showing people from their youth to their old years. Depresses me...) Like you, all I care about is a good plot with a good meaty role that JH can sink his teeth into. Preferably of a character that is not celibate :) And of course- that that character will have long hair... :D

The character development and plot advancement of TMWYS is abit slower than to my liking (maybe this is also the reason why it doesn’t grip the general audience as much). Granted, it’s already much better than Voice (which was annoying to me).

Well, TMWYS is shaping into being a show that is not a procedural, this is why I like it so much.  

I would however acknowledge that if it wasn’t for Hyukie, I probably wouldn’t watch this show. Procedurals are generally quite boring to me :sweatingbullets:

Isn't that true for any kdrama? It is at least for me... I can say that there are only 4-5 Kdramas that JH didn't act in that I can say that I loved. Every now and again I try watching shows without, but almost always I end up giving up on them midway...

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Can you share your list of non JH kdramas you loved? I also have a very short list. I’m not “really” a kdrama fan. I’m mostly a Jang Hyuk fan. 

It's funny cause since that the first kdramas that I've seen were JH's, at first I thought I was a Kdrama fan. It was only after I tried watching Song Seung-Heon's shows after seeing Black and was disappointed by them, that I went back to JH, saw Money Flower, and realized that I was actually a JH fan :) 

The JH-less kdramas that I can say that I love are-

• "Misaeng: Incomplete Life"- loved the boss in this show. To me he was the real protagonist
  • "Black"
  • "Hello monster"

As for rom coms- I guess I like

•  "Ms. Temper & Nam Jung Gi" - loved the fact that the female protagonist is not a simpering idiot
  • "I'm not a Robot" - even though the premise was silly, the male lead made you believe his pain

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

@Biology Lesson Nice! I loved Misaeng! Yes, the boss, amazing character and actor (his drunk scenes were so realistic that they made me nauseous eek) that drama was so, real, I think, very raw. Except for the final episodes where they kinda went off track but yes, its one of the best kdramas I’ve seen. I would love JH in a drama as well written and directed as that one. I dare to recommend another drama with this actor, not a super popular drama, kinda slowish at first but it turned out so good! He wasn’t the lead but he stole the show. The drama is “Miss Korea) and, *cough cough* it was written by the same writer of WOL (yes, I can see your jaw dropping but hear me out! Lololol) I tried watching another well known drama by this writer (Pasta) and hated it! Since then I realized all writers can get inspired sometimes :P because Miss Korea was so heartwarming, different, and a MATURE romcom (very rare in kdrama as you know) This is one reason WOL shocked and made me sad, I had wanted Jang Hyuk to work with this writer :unsure: boohoo

Im not a robot! Adorable! Loved it too and I don’t normally go for rom com. Both leads were genuinely cute and male lead is a very experienced actor at his young age (very pretty too) Among young korean actors he is probably my favorite but obviously to me, he is like a son lol so I’m not a “fan” but I enjoy his work. I have thought about checking out some of his other dramas (He had a good supporting role in one of my favorite historicals, Queen Seondeok) 

I haven’t watched the other dramas you mentioned but now I’ll keep them in mind.

• Like 2

@corey Huh? Noooooo that was my grandma’s favorite show! :rolleyes: ok ok fine,  I’m OLD :D but I don’t want to grow up so, don’t judge :P

Misaeng was very stressful to me for the same reason! 

I watched WBDS too, YSH was very pretty and emo on it, not one of my favorite dramas but enjoyable 

And Im glad you are enjoying SOGC, the first part was more rom com than sageuk, JH was definitely channeling Lee Gun there :P (I didn’t like that, tbh, but now I look back at that drama with certain fondness) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Nice! I loved Misaeng! Yes, the boss, amazing character and actor (his drunk scenes were so realistic that they made me nauseous eek) that drama was so, real, I think, very raw. Except for the final episodes where they kinda went off track but yes, its one of the best kdramas I’ve seen. I would love JH in a drama as well written and directed as that one. I dare to recommend another drama with this actor, not a super popular drama, kinda slowish at first but it turned out so good! He wasn’t the lead but he stole the show. The drama is “Miss Korea) and, *cough cough* it was written by the same writer of WOL (yes, I can see your jaw dropping but hear me out! Lololol) I tried watching another well known drama by this writer (Pasta) and hated it! Since then I realized all writers can get inspired sometimes :P because Miss Korea was so heartwarming, different, and a MATURE romcom (very rare in kdrama as you know) This is one reason WOL shocked and made me sad, I had wanted Jang Hyuk to work with this writer :unsure: boohoo

I will try "miss Korea" then. I guess the reason why some writers can sometimes write great stories and on other occasions miss the mark has to do with inspiration, maybe the pressure from the production and maybe what they write gets changed by the production, for better or for worse. I still can't explain how they could have created such a mess in WOL- that couldn't have been only due to the writer...

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Im not a robot! Adorable! Loved it too and I don’t normally go for rom com. Both leads were genuinely cute and male lead is a very experienced actor at his young age (very pretty too) Among young korean actors he is probably my favorite but obviously to me, he is like a son lol so I’m not a “fan” but I enjoy his work. I have thought about checking out some of his other dramas (He had a good supporting role in one of my favorite historicals, Queen Seondeok) 

The actor was good, but then I tried to watch another of his shows, "My strange hero" with Jo Bo-Ah, from "Innocent thing", and I couldn't stand it! His acting felt smug suddenly and repetitive. This is what happened to me with almost every actor except JH. They will have a random OK show that I will like, but then I will try to watch another of their shows and see that I liked the shows mostly due the script or direction and less due to their acting, or that their acting doesn't change.

For instance,  Except for Black, I didn't like a single show that Song Seung-Heon did ("obsessed" actually made me realize he's not a very good actor...).  I liked the show "Oh My Ghost" (especially the actress that played the ghost, Kim Seul-Gi) so I thought will watch other shows with Cho Jung-Seok (who I guess is a popular actor) and then I realized his acting is identical no matter what he does, including the way he cries at the drop of a hat. Can't watch another show with that actor... 

Also I liked "Terius behind me" (though the main reason was the supporting cast). So, again, I tried other show with So Ji-sub and realized his acting doesn't change. He's a good actor, who's pleasant to watch, but it's the same performance all the time...

JH is the only actor I've seen that gives you a different performance in each show. That even if the show is not as good, his performance will almost always be good. Especially in recent years. Not to mention that I've learned that he tends to change the roles, giving his own flavor to each role, making them unique. This is why I'm his fan...

• Love 2
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Can you share your list of non JH kdramas you loved? I also have a very short list. I’m not “really” a kdrama fan. I’m mostly a Jang Hyuk fan. 

P.S One thing I appreciate about Kdramas though is that they tend to be only one season

Wanna share too. Try everything Nam Goong Min. Sometimes he remind me of JH.. He can do melo, comedy, psycho really well. You can try the most recent Stove League. It makes me want JH have that kind of role. If you like YSH have you watch oldie but goodie. Master Of Study? oh, maybe you do. As for saeguk that isn't Jang Hyuk I love The Princess Man and Sungkyungkwan Scandal but sadly both male lead have a big scandal in real life.   

2 hours ago, corey said:

ROTFL, you must be close to my age to still remember X files. However, I tend to re-watch season 1 and 2 mostly, later it was just too obsessed for my taste.

I could not get past episode 7 in Misaeng. I guess it reminded me too much of my old job, LoL.

I remember it too. So that's mean i'm close to your age? Things is everyone know X-files. But, I think we do close in age. hahaha. 

I'm like @dramafan33 too. i'm mostly watch a JH K-drama. Sometimes, a Jo Jung Suk or Song Joong Ki drama. Even them I've skip like Arthadal and Jealousy Incarnate. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

JH is the only actor I've seen that gives you a different performance in each show. That even if the show is not as good, his performance will almost always be good. Especially in recent years. Not to mention that I've learned that he tends to change the roles, giving his own flavor to each role, making them unique. This is why I'm his fan...

This! He truly gives distinctive performances in all the shows of his that I watched. And you’re right, he intentionally strives to be versatile. And I mean VERY versatile. Some actors hover around the same roles. That’s why I don’t understand when some knets say he has the same acting. Don’t know what they are watching <_< of course not ALL mannerisms can change 100%. The person is the same person after all. 

I will try watching miss Korea since u guys raved about it. The dramas which are non-JH that I really liked are:

1. Pinocchio (very very heartwarming) 

2. Dr Prisoner (Excellent pacing, I wished JH did this show but perhaps it would be a tad too similar to MF) 

3. Kill Me Heal Me

Actually the window of opportunity for him to act in certain roles (and mostly the prime time type of shows) in k dramaland is getting lesser and lesser, so I hope he can be picky about his next few projects! (Not so much doing less roles, but doing roles that he can’t do when he is older) 

And @dramafan33 I really liked X Files too, and truly cared for mulder and scully as individuals. Rooting for them as people (not to mention x files was a defining show during its era). 

4 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Well, TMWYS is shaping into being a show that is not a procedural, this is why I like it so much.  

I think the procedural part is where they still JH’s weekly cases (though it’s connected to the main characters) but I get impatient when the main characters are not developed as the main plot but are developed through the subplots. Like all the chasing of that guy who witnessed the gang members murder, so much time wasted showing the chasing, it wasn’t thrilling at all and I was left thinking those airtime could have been spent on developing the main characters. I also slightly wished there was more meaningful and deeper conversations between OHJ and SY and HY, mostly he has a lot of monologues but the scriptwriters are not digging as deep as they can (or maybe they just can’t). That’s why I previously shared that I don’t have that much faith in the production team. It’s like they try to be deeper than voice (which is already a feat and I give them credit) but at the same time it’s half way deep only and not tugging on the heartstrings in a genuine and natural way like how some writers are able to do. A very quick thought - and I really really hesitate saying this because I don’t think it’s right to tie it to gender - but sometimes female writers are able to write more heart-tugging scripts and scenes and maybe these 2 writers try but just don’t hit it. There are always exceptions, so please don’t take my statement as a generalization! I also remember reading somewhere (sorry can’t remember specifically where I read) that because MF has a female director, the directing was A lot more detailed, focused on the characters’ changes in emotions, camera works has lots of close-ups and basically it surfaced a very different feel in the show, as compared to what a male director may have done. But yeah I don’t think it’s about the gender specifically, but more of personality and character traits that different genders would be more attuned to. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

18 minutes ago, yoeda said:
4 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Wanna share too. Try everything Nam Goong Min. Sometimes he remind me of JH.. He can do melo, comedy, psycho really well.

Haha yes I’m with you on NGM being an excellent actor. He is underrated. But he does quite terribly in romcom. His show The Undateables flopped, but then his next drama Dr Prisoner was a big hit. 

But I still like JH’s eye acting better. NGM can act ok psycho roles but I don’t know if I want JH to do that. JH always evokes feelings of empathy/compassion even when he’s being terrible. Somehow it has a softer side that always makes you think that he has a backstory because I guess, he just has a too “good boy” face as they call it haha. That face, I can never hate or get angry with! :lol:

• Like 6

10 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Actually I like it too..hehe..

If you watch C drama (with english subtitle), try Battle of Changsha. It's a 2014 production starring Wallace Huo as the "handsome" Officer. :PAs usual, Officers are all "stone" face but he slowly warm up to the girl because she's very lively & active & mischievious. War (fighting) not alot but reasonably enough. Romance (sweet & simple during war era), but more of how a family live through the crisis of war. Pretty touching plot. (Meantime we'll hope for JH to go fight war in dramaland). :lol:

10 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Nah, I am on a drama drought now 

Woah! I admire you for being able to do this. I can't. I need my dose of handsome ahjusshi daily. Heeheehee! But it's frustrating to wait a whole week for the weekend to watch JH. So ...I'm watching (re watching actually) a C rom com of 1 of my fav actor. Ya I know, rom com isn't my fav genre but my fav actor is in it & this is the 1st time he does a rom com :grimace:so it's kinda fresh. Imagine someone acting as 曹操 dressed up like Pil Joo. Hahaha!

8 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

The character development and plot advancement of TMWYS is abit slower than to my liking (maybe this is also the reason why it doesn’t grip the general audience as much). 

I know what you mean. Infact I found episode 8 boring.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Haha yes I’m with you on NGM being an excellent actor. He is underrated. But he does quite terribly in romcom. His show The Undateables flopped, but then his next drama Dr Prisoner was a big hit. 

But I still like JH’s eye acting better. NGM can act ok psycho roles but I don’t know if I want JH to do that. JH always evokes feelings of empathy/compassion even when he’s being terrible. Somehow it has a softer side that always makes you think that he has a backstory because I guess, he just has a too “good boy” face as they call it haha. That face, I can never hate or get angry with! :lol:

I think someone commenting they still scare of NGM in Stove League with his silent acting coz they still remember his psycho acting in another drama. poor fella. He really work hard to have what he has today. like you said maybe his eye acting doesn't convey the situation better. Ahh, that rom-com. Never watch it coz the rating and review kinda bad. lol. I don't like his character in Dr. Prisoner. The drama is ok but over all there's no bad consequence for all the bad deed except the main villain. Everyone is badddd there. lol

• Like 4

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

If you watch C drama (with english subtitle), try Battle of Changsha. It's a 2014 production starring Wallace Huo as the "handsome" Officer. :PAs usual, Officers are all "stone" face but he slowly warm up to the girl because she's very lively & active & mischievious. War (fighting) not alot but reasonably enough. Romance (sweet & simple during war era), but more of how a family live through the crisis of war. Pretty touching plot. (Meantime we'll hope for JH to go fight war in dramaland). :lol:

Battle of Changsha was terrible to me, it was so promising initially, with war theme, handsome soldier etc. and I was so looking forward to it. But I dropped it after a few episodes.

• LOL 1

Guyssss! So much I want to reply now! Ha! Ok Ill do it in pieces by editing the same post

@The Reel Life You know what’s disappointing? Voice writer is actually female. I think the comment about MFs PD was made by JH himself, he knew that this PD would make a “different” revenge story than any male PD would because she would focus on the complicated feelings rather than “thrills” or action, etc I think he was right about this one

I think JH loves to convey feelings mostly, he doesn’t even focus too much on changing his mannerisms, his focus is on convincing and making the audience feel something, stir something in them. Thus he creates characters with an individual “soul”, almost all of the time, successfully. Some characters may have similar mannerisms but you always “feel” different souls are inhabiting the body. Even if the writing gives him nothing to play with, you always feels there’s something more to the character than meets the eyes 

I liked Pinocchio and Kill me heal me too :)

@Biology Lesson I agree that JHs versatility and range is hard to achieve, also the level of immersion. And also the fact that he is both a great actor and so HOT. Im not saying handsome or pretty (which I find him to be) but sexy he is SO sexy. I think thats the killer combination for me. There are actors that I find as enjoyable as he, acting wise, like for example Ji Sung (I’ve only seen him in two dramas but in Kill me, heal me he played 7 roles so I guess versatility is proven :D) but even though he is not ugly I just don’t lust over him the way I do for JH. Same with Kim Nam Gil, he can make me cry and I appreciate him for that lol, he has a cute smile but, I don’t go crazy for him (I kinda did in QSD but that was also the character) and here we get to the 3rd point, Jang Hyuk has created characters that I have truly fallen in love with!  Daegil, Lee Gun, LYO, Piljoo and most recently Bangwon are characters that I became seriously obsessed with. 

@yoeda Ive heard many good things about NGM, maybe one day I’ll check one of his dramas. I enjoyed SKKS quite a bit too :D

I think I mentioned The X Files as the first things that popped in my mind, of something where I enjoyed both the individual cases, even those unrelated to the main arch but there are other examples. Basically what I mean is, it can be done. But I think what works for American shows is that they don’t rely on one writer, they usually have a whole team. 

Ok here goes my list of kdramas without JH that I got hooked on (besides the ones already mentioned by you guys) These are the ones I can remember 

The Great Queen Seondeok (My first sageuk. Its the only JH kdrama that I bought the DVDs from)

Mr Sunshine (historical romance) 

Memories of the Alhambra (science fiction/horror-ish) 

Miss Korea 

I can hear your voice (crime mistery/supernatural?) 

Bad Guys (crime mistery)

Circle (science fiction) 

Nine (time travel drama) 

Defendant (crime mistery with JiSung but I was even more impressed by the villain played by the second lead in I’m not a robot. He played a great psycho) 

Liar Game 

Tunnel (time travel crime mystery) 

Coffee Prince (my first kdrama ever)

And now I’m done with this post :P

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

I agree totally. I used to watch quite a lot of non JH dramas, mainly by Hyun bin , So Ji sub, Ji Sung, Nam Goong Min, Joo sang woo, Lee Jong Suk and some of them for the genre. But after watching JH dramas, I think I watched lesser dramas now, esp rom com. 

And like @dramafan33 and @Biology LessonI also feel that he can really be very different from one drama to the next. His appearance, speaking tone and even the way he carries himself. There are times when there are some traces of his previous characters in some dramas, but as compared to other actors who sometimes even sport the same hairstyle across projects, I can see how much effort he puts in to become the character he is acting. When I watched BM after FTLY, I was amazed that it was by the same actor. So different!

I love his eye acting. Even if he was acting like the antagonist at the beginning of BM, it was hard to hate him totally. I think I am addicted to his eye acting..haha! And yes! @dramafan33He is the only actor I think can be super hot and yet super adorable! Killer combi for me.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2