1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

Did it seem like the show is moving more and more towards a personal connection between YBW and the girl? 

I don't think LBW's reactions to HJ suggest anything romantic. It's more of him being impressed by her bravery and her connections. BW would strike down whoever goes against his will regardless of who it may be. Today's episode was quite clear on that.

4 hours ago, qynn said:

Best episode for JH so far. Very powerful scenes. I like the younger actors just fine but man, the intensity goes up in the scenes with JH. Plus, the man really knows how to work a fan. 

Lots of screen time. All important. Sometimes other scenes feels like fillers, especially from the last episode everything seems to be revolving around him. It will probably be that way throughout the drama considering the factual history. "Bang Won" is probably the most uttered word in the drama. Every freaking conversation has "Bang Won" in it.

• Like 4

Oh I am liking ep 6. For a start, I like it when Bang Won fan the boy or the girl asleep. His own son or daughter I believe. So at home, Bang Won is not a bad father. :expressionless:

So the sword is for the lead girl. He told her to work for him. I hope she takes it up. I am not liking the other guy (Hwi's friend). He's trying to get into the good books of Bang Won's father. Yes indeed, "before he can walk, he wants to jump". (Halo young chap, this is how people die in the palace without knowing the reason). 

I like how Bang Won stood up to his father and that stupid blue robed guy! Good that he got told off by the King. I am sure Bang Won's father is not a stupid king. He observes and he knows but deep in him, he is afraid of Bang Won overthrow him. Bang Won is a smart chap. I was afraid he will easily befriend Hwi but no, he is still on his guard. 

No offence to the leads fans, I'm liking the girl as she has shown she can act. Ok not veteran level as she's relatively new but acceptable. The 2 lead guys need to shape up. I find their expression almost the same in every scene and it gets boring. Jang Hyuk is always a wonder to watch. His expression changes from this to this immediately and he gets the audience into the scene too. If Bang Won is excited, I get excited too. :sweat_smile: At the end of ep 6, I'm really hating that guy and I can't remember his name. Hwi's friend...

Noticed his chest muscle when he was bowing/arrowing ....wooh! That's a real warrior man!  

• Like 5

17 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Me too! :wub: half tied and half loose hair. Haha. I wonder what scene this is. Hopefully it’s not one of him and the female lead and something going on between them... :huh:

And I agree with all of you. The time skips in this show is crazy. Like they don’t even show what happened, and suddenly:

1. The battle is won

2. The father became king 

3. Animosity grew between YSG and YBW. 

All we have is real history to keep us in the know. Else any layman who didn’t know abt the history would be perplexed. They were just running on assumptions, this screenwriter!! :crazy:

Reminds me of the Wang So style !

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

‘My Country’ ep 6 top Knetz comments (google translated):

1. Jang Hyuk's Lee Bang-won is amazing. His eyes and facial expressions, which contrast with his toned-down lines, are excellent. I'm really into this drama and I'm really into it. (+734 -9)

2 Lee Bang-won should appear more! Jang Hyuk has a lot of consideration that makes himself as well as his opponents stand out! That's why all the actors’ chemistry are so... Hwi, Seon-ho, Hee-jae. (+439 -2)

3. My country is really so good. Today is a great movie. (+353 -8)

4. When it comes to Jang Hyuk, you're not kidding! Lee Bang-won is a smash hit. (+257 -2)

5. Jang Hyuk, why are you so good?! Everyone is so good. You're the best at immersing the viewers (+230 -6)

6. Jang Hyuk you're so good at ~~ Eyes, pronunciation, immersion increased when Jang Hyuk appears (+247 -1)

7. Everyone is great from the leading to supporting roles, you don't know how time goes by. (+143 -8)

8. Jang Hyuk's overwhelming aura brought the tension to its fullest.(+113 -3)

9. As if Jang Hyuk and Lee Bang-won are reincarnated, they are all characters. (+96 -0)

10. Timekeeping! I'm enjoying it.Let's have more fun. (+55 -5)

0000578907_001_20191020082749000.jpg?typ

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=609&aid=0000190330
https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=468&aid=0000578907

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Oh I am liking ep 6. For a start, I like it when Bang Won fan the boy or the girl asleep. His own son or daughter I believe. So at home, Bang Won is not a bad father

I haven't seen this scene yet.. so sweet..

Noticed his chest muscle when he was bowing/arrowing ....wooh! That's a real warrior man!  

Even in this scene..haha

33 minutes ago, kohnlee said:

Yes that fan came alive when he uses it!

I think he must have thought about it a lot and practised too!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Wonder how long he needed to learn or practise with the fan. :D

4 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

I’m imagining him practising it like a “sport” in between scenes, while he’s memorizing scripts... Haha he puts his 100% in everything. 

5 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Did it seem like the show is moving more and more towards a personal connection between YBW and the girl? 

I actually don’t sense any romance here. Merely seeing him wanting to get her on his side and make use of Hee Jae to advance his plans. And I think he knows that she is on the queens side, so he won’t intentionally want a romantic relationship with her. I am just concerned if he will be blindsided by the fact that HJ and Hwi are lovers, and tricked into their plan! But I should have more faith, it’s Lee Bang Won we are talking about here :joy:

At the end of ep 6, I'm really hating that guy and I can't remember his name. Hwi's friend...

I believe you mean Sun Ho! Yes what is worse than being a one-dimensional bad person is when he betrays his friends for his own gain. I can definitely sense his lonely journey though. On another note, I think the leads are doing pretty well actually! They are able to hold their own against their seniors compared to other young actors their generation I think, and I think the fact that Sun Ho is able to make people hate him is a a testament of good acting haha. Given time they can grow and do better. :)

Thanks for the comments translation @Prettysup! I combed through all of them in the article as well and wow. ~80% were talking about LBW/JH. In a way, while I know he would be recognized for his slaying performance (no pun intended haha), I didn’t expect the volume of traction that he would get in this episode! 

That last scene with Seo Hwi when they were hunting, and when he almost killed Seo Hwi, was everythingggg.

I loved his expressions of sheer arrogance, smugness and anger the most haha. Does anyone have HD pictures of these scenes? 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Oh I am liking ep 6. For a start, I like it when Bang Won fan the boy or the girl asleep. His own son or daughter I believe. So at home, Bang Won is not a bad father. :expressionless:

So the sword is for the lead girl. He told her to work for him. I hope she takes it up. I am not liking the other guy (Hwi's friend). He's trying to get into the good books of Bang Won's father. Yes indeed, "before he can walk, he wants to jump". (Halo young chap, this is how people die in the palace without knowing the reason). 

I like how Bang Won stood up to his father and that stupid blue robed guy! Good that he got told off by the King. I am sure Bang Won's father is not a stupid king. He observes and he knows but deep in him, he is afraid of Bang Won overthrow him. Bang Won is a smart chap. I was afraid he will easily befriend Hwi but no, he is still on his guard. 

No offence to the leads fans, I'm liking the girl as she has shown she can act. Ok not veteran level as she's relatively new but acceptable. The 2 lead guys need to shape up. I find their expression almost the same in every scene and it gets boring. Jang Hyuk is always a wonder to watch. His expression changes from this to this immediately and he gets the audience into the scene too. If Bang Won is excited, I get excited too. :sweat_smile: At the end of ep 6, I'm really hating that guy and I can't remember his name. Hwi's friend...

That was his daughter, he only had 2 daughters in 1392, first year when his father became king. And as I mentioned before, actually he should have had 3 other sons by this time but somehow all died when young, leading me to suspect someone against him must have killed them.

And yeah I also hate Hwi's friend at the end of ep 6, cannot stand it when he appeared.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

I haven't seen this scene yet.. so sweet..

@azureblue7I take this scene (fan his daughter to sleep) as showing a different side of YBW. Didn't JH always want to emphasize showing the human side of the character....no doubt he kills ruthlessly but he also has the soft spot in him. I love it when he was looking at the asleep child. His gaze is so gentle. Thanks @Prettysupfor explaining his children again. I forgot his 3 other sons died. All the more his gaze on his asleep daughter must have pierced his heart thinking of his 3 dead sons. I am also sure someone killed his sons and is for political reasons. 

This drama doesn't seem to explain properly and we often have to be the director ourselves speculating. But finally we knew roughly what went on in the forest which made YBW hair became a mess. We know he carried his little bro. And what else he said I can't remember. But this is because YBW said it himself when he confronted his father at the banquet reception which he wasn't invited.

When he was talking to the girl at the Inn, she asked him does he remember when he was on the run? And he said a long list of stuff like voluntarily eating less food and .....I can't remember what else he said, I take it it is the forest scene. But why is he on the run? And why is he held at knife point? It's YBW - who is capable to hold him at knife point? And the girl said she should have killed Bang Won at that time. So what's happening here!!! :triumph:

@PrettysupNow I cannot differentiate is it I cannot stand the appearance of Hwi's friend as the actor or cannot stand the character he plays. Ok I don't like the character he plays but I also cannot stand his face. :unsure:He is always one expression. If JH plays that character, he wouldn't be one expression. As for Hwi, I still don't know if I like his character but acting wise...so so only. But the veterans are superb especially I love the interaction between Bang Won and father. Btw, is it Lee Bang Won or Yi Bang Won? 

Bang Won handles the fan very well. I guess maybe at home Jang Hyuk busy himself practising with his wife fan and probably destroyed how many fans already. Lol. :sweat_smile:

Really love the scene when he told the girl he gives her permission to kill him any time. That smirk smug smile or laughter. Like he knew for sure she will abide. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, budgerie said:

As for Hwi, I still don't know if I like his character but acting wise...so so only. But the veterans are superb especially I love the interaction between Bang Won and father. Btw, is it Lee Bang Won or Yi Bang Won? 

It's the same.  korean pronunciation sound more like "Yi" compare to Lee for non Korean. 

"The traditional pronunciation of 이, I, or EE is still employed in South Korea. It does not sound the same as the "Lee" (as Lee Myung-bak). The reason "Lee" was adopted instead of "Yi" is because of the English surname ("Lee") is more familiar to non-Koreans. ... Therefore, the majority of Koreans use "Lee" instead of "Yi"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

I'm not surprised by these comments... I was watching JH's clips and my first thought was "Ok, now this is cruel!". What he is doing on screen is indescribable! He is in a whole different level than the rest of the cast, older or young. Everyone's doing their job to a varying degree of competence, playing their characters. But that's exactly what they are doing- "Playing", while JH brought YBW alive! Instead of being one note, he's a freaking symphony! And this is why I thought it was cruel to the rest of the cast :) they don't seem to even know where to begin to match him... It's "chuno" all over again...

And you also see how his decision to master riding is paying off in this show. He's so comfortable on the horse, he looks like an actual seasoned warrior!

The guy playing Hwi, he said he was a fan of Chuno. If so he should've known- it's not about delivering lines- it's about the attitude and the eyes... How can he even act, when his hair is constantly on his face hiding his eyes! He's fading in front of my eyes... 

As to the girl- I don't know why she gets so much criticism- she's not that bad.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, budgerie said:

This drama doesn't seem to explain properly and we often have to be the director ourselves speculating. But finally we knew roughly what went on in the forest which made YBW hair became a mess. We know he carried his little bro. And what else he said I can't remember. But this is because YBW said it himself when he confronted his father at the banquet reception which he wasn't invited.

When he was talking to the girl at the Inn, she asked him does he remember when he was on the run? And he said a long list of stuff like voluntarily eating less food and .....I can't remember what else he said, I take it it is the forest scene. But why is he on the run? And why is he held at knife point? It's YBW - who is capable to hold him at knife point?   

I agree- the show is doing a really bad job explaining what is a happening. At first I thought that is was because I was watching only JH's clips until episode 5, but it's clear everyone's confused...

The girl asking him if he remembers something, is again the show breaking the rule of "show, don't tell!". Instead of showing us those events, we are being told about them. That's such bad story telling... 

I swear- this production is so lucky to have JH! He's so impressive, that no one is asking any questions about the logic of what's happening- like for instance- why was YBW riding so fast to see his father in the beginning of ep 5?! There was no emergency, and he ended up standing around for 4 hrs (!) waiting to meet his dad. So why gallop all the way, I mean beside the obvious reason of having JH look cool on the horse? :)

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, yoeda said:

It's the same.  korean pronunciation sound more like "Yi" compare to Lee for non Korean. 

"The traditional pronunciation of 이, I, or EE is still employed in South Korea. It does not sound the same as the "Lee" (as Lee Myung-bak). The reason "Lee" was adopted instead of "Yi" is because of the English surname ("Lee") is more familiar to non-Koreans. ... Therefore, the majority of Koreans use "Lee" instead of "Yi"

Thank you for explaining. Are you korean? So it should actually be pronounced as Ee Bang Won? 

18 minutes ago, yoeda said:

I keep thinking if BW only 21 from the beginning of MC that's mean he's not much older than the 3 lead. they maybe 18 or 19. It's funny when compare to the actor real age. :D

You will never be able to find an actor aged 21 to act as Bang Won. 

14 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

The guy playing Hwi, he said he was a fan of Chuno. If so he should've known- it's not about delivering lines- it's about the attitude and the eyes... How can he even act, when his hair is constantly on his face hiding his eyes! He's fading in front of my eyes... 

As to the girl- I don't know why she gets so much criticism- she's not that bad.

Ok I got it now. Earlier I couldn't describe my feelings towards Hwi. Somewhere is wrong but I couldn't pin-point. Now I got it. Yes, his hair is a mess and hiding his eyes. Hey chap, you need to act with your eyes too yo. But blame it on the make up people or the hair people. They gave him that hairstyle.

Yes, I am with you. I don't understand too. I didn't even know BW had stood there for 4 hours. At least make something different like the sky had turned dark or changing of guards on duty. Truly and honestly, if it wasn't because of JH in this production, I would have switched off at ep 1. 

Oh poor girl. Why? She's ok to me. At least her look isn't as irritating as the actress in WOL (to me). 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Ok I got it now. Earlier I couldn't describe my feelings towards Hwi. Somewhere is wrong but I couldn't pin-point. Now I got it. Yes, his hair is a mess and hiding his eyes. Hey chap, you need to act with your eyes too yo. But blame it on the make up people or the hair people. They gave him that hairstyle.

Oh poor girl. Why? She's ok to me. At least her look isn't as irritating as the actress in WOL (to me). 

I agree that Hwi's hair being in his face is probably the make up people's fault, and I guess him being young make him lack the confidence to tell them to change it. But they are not responsible for all of his performance. I'm hoping being around JH will help him... 

I thought I was the only one who didn't like the actress in WOL. She was the main reason I didn't watch the show till the end! Yeah, the girl in My country is nothing like her...

• Like 2

I notice that there is a red spot in his left eye. Did he wear contact lens or get injured?  but I didn't notice it in other scene. :tears:

Spoiler

E06-191019-1080p-Mre-D-mp4-003247553.png

E06-191019-1080p-Mre-D-mp4-003362945.png

53 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I didn't even know BW had stood there for 4 hours. At least make something different like the sky had turned dark or changing of guards on duty. Truly and honestly, if it wasn't because of JH in this production, I would have switched off at ep 1. 

thing that shows that he had stood there for 4 hours is his sweating on his face and neck.  haha

I notice that JH sweat a lot especially in the hunting scene and the last scene when he's about to kill Hwi.

I love it because it looks natural. I love his make-up. It seems like he didn't have make-up on at all. Or maybe very light makeup because I can clearly see his bare skin. so manly!! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, yoeda said:

I keep thinking if BW only 21 from the beginning of MC that's mean he's not much older than the 3 lead. they maybe 18 or 19. It's funny when compare to the actor real age. :D

Haha me too, got got to pretend this version of YBW is older than historical age 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

30 minutes ago, nyk said:

I notice that there is a red spot in his left eye. Did he wear contact lens or get injured?  but I didn't notice it in other scene. :tears:

I think he always had that in his eye- I think you can see it in this picture too- 

20140328-110602.jpg

35 minutes ago, nyk said:

thing that shows that he had stood there for 4 hours is his sweating on his face and neck.  haha

I notice that JH sweat a lot especially in the hunting scene and the last scene when he's about to kill Hwi.

I love it because it looks natural. I love his make-up. It seems like he didn't have make-up on at all. Or maybe very light makeup because I can clearly see his bare skin. so manly!! 

I also wanted to comment about that! you clearly see the hair at the back of his neck and his side burn hair completely wet ... I guess the makeup people were working extra hard, wiping the sweat off of him :)  I guess it's the amounts of layers he was wearing. Poor guy,  he must have been so hot! Especially in those scenes he was riding and shooting..

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

I agree that Hwi's hair being in his face is probably the make up people's fault, and I guess him being young make him lack the confidence to tell them to change it. But they are not responsible for all of his performance. I'm hoping being around JH will help him... 

I thought I was the only one who didn't like the actress in WOL. She was the main reason I didn't watch the show till the end! Yeah, the girl in My country is nothing like her...

I think the entertainment industry is dark. If you're young and a newbie, you have no right to request for your wants. JH said that when he was a newbie, a senior was very harsh to him. And he told himself that, when he becomes a senior, he must never behave this way. So I think Hwi being a young actor is still not in the hierachy yet to request. In DB JH said he is at that age where he can ask people to run errands. Lol...so I think age and experience does matter here. These young artistes are so blessed to have JH on their ship. They should take the opportunity to learn from him and not act smart. It is not everyday you meet a good teacher sunbaenim.

I wouldn't say I watched WOL till the end either. I only watched Chil Sung parts and whether he ends up with the vet or not. So in total, maybe I only watched 1/4 of the drama?

@nykI thought he was sweating because the weather was hot and he wore many layers inside. Being a saeguk drama. The "visual effect" department isn't doing a good job indicating time difference. Had no idea it was 4 hours. If the sky had turned dark, audience would know there is a time difference since it was daylight when YBW stood there. 

Coming back to his bowing/arrowing scene - not only his chest muscle is a MUST SEE, did you notice YBW hands how he let go of the arrow? That was so magnificently done! Really and indeed, no one matches him in aura. Definitely not any 21 years old flower boys to act YBW. You really need a 43 years old YBW. 

• Like 2