44 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Today's interview says he has lost his sense of pain. I love it !

When I read it , I interpreted it as he felt so much pain and anguish that he became numb to feeling pain. So it could be literally loss of sensation, like nerve damage? Cool! Oops...I mean poor him..

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Today's interview says he has lost his sense of pain. I love it !

I think he is referring to emotional pain right? So I guess he’ll be like LYO who “couldn”t feel anything” but it also seems that even before the trauma of the “incident” he was arrogant and eccentric. I somehow can’t figure this guy out completely and can’t wait to meet him soon! 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I think he is referring to emotional pain right? So I guess he’ll be like LYO who “couldn”t feel anything” but it also seems that even before the trauma of the “incident” he was arrogant and eccentric. I somehow can’t figure this guy out completely and can’t wait to meet him soon! 

Yes..I thought he was referring to more psychological trauma resulting in feeling disconnected.  Either way his character sounds interesting. 

• Like 4

On 1/15/2020 at 10:02 PM, jhjsw said:

I am one of those readers. :D But... This time I've decided to watch it while it's airing. So I can join the discussion with you guys on the other thread. And I also have this feeling that I will see spoilers everywhere, not just in this forum. :D

If I can submit my paper before 1feb, will watch live too! Aiming for that to happen.

anyone has good link to watch live?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phoenix24 said:

wish this video was longer.

@The Reel Life yea I was a bit disappointed at translation of other video, but just something more until real one comes out.

Omg I love this video!! He’s sooooo cute. Haha. I really want to see him laugh more often like this. Hopefully he chooses a more light hearted role the next time around. I must say I actually love this hairstyle of his too!

• Like 4

If anybody is intrested in watching a very long J drama then I've a suggestion. I've been watching a NHK morning drama(on suggestion of a friend) and I think it is worth sharing with all of you specially when angst-ridden future is waiting for all of us on OCN.:lol: The drama is called 'Asa ga Kita'(Here comes Asa or Sunshiny Asa) which is very loosely based on life of a female entrepreneur during industrialization of Japan. Drama itself is not a masterpiece but I think it has engaging characters, good balance of humour and seriousness and almost consistent and realistic storyline(although I admit that I had to fast-forward many scenes in second half of the drama). The drama has 156 eps but no need to worry because each ep is just 15 minutes long. 

I think many people here like watching long dramas that's why I've to share this offtopic information here. 

• Thanks 1

Someone mentioned on Dramabeans that this drama's premise is based on The Bone Collector (an old movie). I looked it up and I must say, it really is quite true! The main forensic investigator became quadriplegic after an accident and then had a rookie officer support him in being his eyes at crime scenes. If this was the inspiration for TMWYS (or perhaps a remake), then i think we should not expect JH to get out of the room (or at least his chair). Thankful that he's not quadriplegic, at least he can still use his hands, but it seems he definitely won't walk?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

Someone mentioned on Dramabeans that this drama's premise is based on The Bone Collector (an old movie). I looked it up and I must say, it really is quite true! The main forensic investigator became quadriplegic after an accident and then had a rookie officer support him in being his eyes at crime scenes. If this was the inspiration for TMWYS (or perhaps a remake), then i think we should not expect JH to get out of the room (or at least his chair). Thankful that he's not quadriplegic, at least he can still use his hands, but it seems he definitely won't walk?

At this point we really don't know...

it's clear he has use of his hands, and also his legs are crossed in some of the pictures, so I do think he has some control over his legs. It's possible that his legs got injured, not his spine, and maybe he didn't do any physiotherapy for it, so he's still using the chair. Also, that chair is not a typical wheel chair... 

I think that nothing about this character can be predicted, since similarly to Bang Won, JH has a big influence on the character design. The fact that we got two sets of pictures and teasers, one with no scars, no sunglasses and standing, while the second set is with scars and sunglasses and sitting in the chair, tells me that JH changed him on the fly. So I don't think even the writers know what state this guy is in :)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

At this point we really don't know...

it's clear he has use of his hands, and also his legs are crossed in some of the pictures, so I do think he has some control over his legs. It's possible that his legs got injured, not his spine, and maybe he didn't do any physiotherapy for it, so he's still using the chair. Also, that chair is not a typical wheel chair... 

I think that nothing about this character can be predicted, since similarly to Bang Won, JH has a big influence on the character design. The fact that we got two sets of pictures and teasers, one with no scars, no sunglasses and standing, while the second set is with scars and sunglasses and sitting in the chair, tells me that JH changed him on the fly. So I don't think even the writers know what state this guy is in :)

That can be a bad thing though. Writers need to know lol (Im sure you are joking to a certain extent) I trust JH but I’m always in favor of writers and PD to be the most responsible for a project, if an actor self directs completely, things can get out of hand and not in a good way. There needs to be a balance. In Chuno it was like that, the PD was in love with JHs performance and took many of his suggestions, him and the actors gave JH credit for carrying the drama but, the PDs eyes was still present, and strong (I watched a previous sageuk by him and you can see he definitely has a style) He also said he wouldn’t take all of JHs suggestions. At the end of the day he is the PD. I hope its the same here, an open collaboration between inspired creators always yields better results. Same with him and Money Flower’s PD. She is great! (Proven by her work in The Crowned Clown) Im happy JH mentioned he likes the script, it means he is inspired by the work of the writer and will create his character on a solid base rather than having to base it in nothing (like in Voice). JH alone can’t do miracles (if it was the case, he could’ve performed one in Voice, I suppose) 

• Like 4

@The Reel Life Yes, I read that comparison before on twitter. There is a definite similarity. I then read some reviews on the movie and the new series. Most talk about good performances/bad plot (hopefully this doesn’t happen with TMWYS) The Bone Collectors is based on a series of crime novels that apparently are/were very popular. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

That can be a bad thing though. Writers need to know lol (Im sure you are joking to a certain extent) I trust JH but I’m always in favor of writers and PD to be the most responsible for a project, if an actor self directs completely, things can get out of hand and not in a good way. There needs to be a balance. In Chuno it was like that, the PD was in love with JHs performance and took many of his suggestions, him and the actors gave JH credit for carrying the drama but, the PDs eyes was still present, and strong (I watched a previous sageuk by him and you can see he definitely has a style) He also said he wouldn’t take all of JHs suggestions. At the end of the day he is the PD. I hope its the same here, an open collaboration between inspired creators always yields better results. Same with him and Money Flower’s PD. She is great! (Proven by her work in The Crowned Clown) Im happy JH mentioned he likes the script, it means he is inspired by the work of the writer and will create his character on a solid base rather than having to base it in nothing (like in Voice). JH alone can’t do miracles (if it was the case, he could’ve performed one in Voice, I suppose) 

I'm not saying he self directs completely, but he does self direct to a certain extent. And no, I'm not joking. I said it about MC too, and I was proven right once JH's interviews came out- JH himself said that he added complete scenes to the show (the last scene in MC, for instance), the emphasis was on the relationship with the king, as he wanted, and he said that the writers and PD were kind enough to accommodate him. I think that in MC, JH has actually performed a miracle, especially when we compare the richness of his character to the other characters in the show. But I do agree that overall for a show, the script needs to have a good basis to it in order for the entire show to be good, and not just JH. As to MF, you already know what I think about that show... :) I personally feel that JH didn't have a good script since BM. He had good roles, but not good scripts... 

Of course the director is important, and it's very clear JH knows that- he collaborates where it's important. I think that in WOL he got too much freedom, as the director didn't give him much direction besides telling him to be himself. I remember reading that that made him feel lost, and it showed. But that doesn't change the fact that he does maintain a certain freedom- as we've just heard- the use of the fans in MC was his idea and he didn't even consult with anyone in the production about it. It was only after the director asked him about it, that he shared. 

As to the new show- If you look at what JH said about its script- notice that he isn't talking about the plot of the show itself, meaning the mystery and the cases they will confront, but he is mainly talking about the personal journey his character will undergo. This is what he is pleased about in the script, and I'm glad about it, because it also is what I care about in shows like that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

Of course the director is important, and it's very clear JH knows that- he collaborates where it's important. I think that in WOL he got too much freedom, as the director didn't give him much direction besides telling him to be himself. I remember reading that that made him feel lost, and it showed.

Yes, I remember him saying he had no idea what his character was about (jokingly but also seriously) prior to the start of WOL (tho I loved what he did there, didn’t love the drama) He also said he felt uneasy when the PD of The Flu asked him to simply be himself. And he expressed stress at not fully grasping his character in Midas and TWDR and in all those cases, I believe it showed (kinda feel the same happened in Iris 2 and Voice but I’ve never heard his opinion on those characters. In Gaekju I think the PD and everyone was so senior that JH mostly did what he was asked to do) 

So the fact that he feels so enthusiastic about this new character definitely gives me a good feeling. Its also the first time in a while that I recall so much promotion for one of his projects and him actually talking  like this about his character prior to the drama airing. I hope all of that is a good sign. 

I meant that you must be joking about writers not knowing what his character’s state is. I guess you are not but thats not a good thing. They need to know! Otherwise there will be a disconnect and that is not something to celebrate but to worry about. Tbh I don’t like it when actors do that (I remember a case of a mexican actor who was very good, but somehow turned into a diva and he brought his own personal director to the set, his acting suffered due to him slowly getting too big for his own good and stopped listening to others. Now we know JH is not a diva and cares too much about the overall product to do something that arrogant and dumb) I like the story about the fan but Im not going to deny that it worries me a little, him going rogue like that can also backfire. The use of props and gimmicks, its cool and fun, but it can also turn the characterization into a cartoon. Thats why you need a smart PD and good writers, to balance things out. MCs writer might’ve been questionable but I believe the PD was pretty good. Also, like you said before, since he wasn’t a “lead” technically, that probably gave him a bit more freedom (ironically) but now he will be made responsible for “carrying” the drama (as the lead actor, he will be made responsible by the public, its always the case) so whatever he comes up with, better work and better be in synch with the other creators. 

btw, this reminded me of when JH said that he owed Jang Nara and her subtle and beautiful characterization of Mi Young a lot because it allowed him to go all out with Lee Gun, he could do all sorts of crazy stuff while she was the one who grounded everything and  both characters balanced each other quite well. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

So the fact that he feels so enthusiastic about this new character definitely gives me a good feeling. Its also the first time in a while that I recall so much promotion for one of his projects and him actually talking  like this about his character prior to the drama airing. I hope all of that is a good sign. 

Yes I seriously hope that it is not just his own character, but the whole cast that is solid and interesting, and a script that makes the criminal cases that are well thought through and suspenseful. Great acting can only do so much, and a bad script can make the show tank. 

The first few episodes will be critical to see if it is interesting enough for generic viewers who are non-JH fans to get on board. They need to wow the casual viewers and I’m slightly nervous to see how definitive the first few episodes can be to the reception towards this upcoming show! 

I have a good feeling about Sooyoung’s character; in fact from her interview and article write up it seems her character could definitely go through a good development arc ie. from a timid rookie officer to a courageous partner of OHJ. I’m hoping the same for OHJ too, that even though he is psychologically closed off (as described by JH), he will slowly open up and allow himself to embrace his pain and overcome that trauma. Hopefully the script covers enough grounds for him to show that part, not just through subtle acting, but actual dialogues and scenes that focus on him overcoming his pain. 

• Like 5

I have a good feeling about Sooyoung’s character; in fact from her interview and article write up it seems her character could definitely go through a good development arc ie. from a timid rookie officer to a courageous partner of OHJ. I’m hoping the same for OHJ too, that even though he is psychologically closed off (as described by JH), he will slowly open up and allow himself to embrace his pain and overcome that trauma. Hopefully the script covers enough grounds for him to show that part, not just through subtle acting, but actual dialogues and scenes that focus on him overcoming his pain. 

Yes to all of this! Please! 

• Like 1

Yes I seriously hope that it is not just his own character, but the whole cast that is solid and interesting, and a script that makes the criminal cases that are well thought through and suspenseful. Great acting can only do so much, and a bad script can make the show tank. 

The first few episodes will be critical to see if it is interesting enough for generic viewers who are non-JH fans to get on board. They need to wow the casual viewers and I’m slightly nervous to see how definitive the first few episodes can be to the reception towards this upcoming show! 

JH said in his interview that his character got traumatized by the incident 5 years ago, and he will recover from his trauma through going after the killer again.

• Like 2

Agree with you. The 1st few eps will "make it" or "break it" for potential JH fans.

Some of his projects are specific genre which is difficult to watch (sometimes) example : Iris & Voice or even BPP & BM (but I love BPP & BM).

If he's going to be confined to the chair or confined to the room only, it will turn audience off after awhile.

• Like 2