13 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I think the sound goes on an off intentionally. If you notice it goes off  when the person is asking a question. I guess the fan didn't want her voice to be heard in the video... You can see that the questions are written instead... Can no one understand what is being said in the vid?! :tears:

The role is mostly fluffy, so I can't blame JH for it, I guess (except for the constant "Kebong" yelling. That I do blame JH for... :) ) .

OK! I admit it- the show was idiotic, but it was fun, the cast was great and the love story was really cute.

I feel like despite him saying he forgets about previous works easily, some of Lee Gun got transferred into Wangso. At the time, that was my main “complaint” about his interpretation but, despite that, I found the drama to be stupid but fun :P

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson He always, everyone in TV, wear makeup. If lighting is bad, makeup looks too obvious. This is a problem, unless its intentional. In sageuk they usually put brownish or mustardy makeup on him. His face is always a different color from his neck, hands etc, except in Chuno where he actually tanned.  In most dramas they darken his skin. Only kept his natural fair complexion in FTLY,  Beautiful Mind, Money Flower (but still, they put makeup on him, they fill his eyebrows etc) In addition, they blurred his face a lot in Money Flower. The drama overall had a sort of “filter”. Your description of it as “glorified soap” is apt. That is how korean media described it “a masterpiece makjang” makjang is the equivalent of soap. So yeah there is no disagreement there, the difference is you didn’t like it and others did, precisely for that reason. I liked it as a good example of what a “good soap” is, but for a person who doesn’t like soaps then that would be an oxymoron.

His makeup was pretty heavy during first eps of FTLY

SLS stands for second lead syndrome

Same here about Goblin and korean media’s obsession with Daegil 

Oh, I don't mind soaps, but here I felt like KPJ wasn't alive enough, if that make sense. He wasn't a character that I bought as being real since he didn't make sense to me. We talked about this before- when I compare this show to Midas, JH's acting in MF was infinitely better, while the plot in Midas was much better. And both sucked when it came to the love story :) 

I thought that JH goes to tanning salons to get a fake tan. I remember seeing a picture of him coming out or going in a tanning salon... At any rate, obviously I prefer JH's natural complexion, but I guess it makes sense for a warrior that spends most of his time outside to have darker skin.

• Like 3

@Biology Lesson Ah I get you now about Piljoo. Yup! If you don’t feel the character as “real” its tough to enjoy his journey, obviously. Interestingly that’s exactly how I felt about his character in Midas. And while I felt completely different about Piljoo I can see what you mean. I read a review from someone on tumblr who ”read” Piljoo as a psychopath and it was the way she could “accept” him. Her perspective was very interesting and it kinda “fit” too. Piljoo was to me, definitely not “normal” anymore. His moral compass was all obliterated and while I “felt” him and rooted for him there was a bit of “monster” in him, imo. But yeah as you can see I  “bought” this character and thats why I always end up rambling on and on about him lol, sorry about that. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Ah I get you now about Piljoo. Yup! If you don’t feel the character as “real” its tough to enjoy his journey, obviously. Interestingly that’s exactly how I felt about his character in Midas. And while I felt completely different about Piljoo I can see what you mean. I read a review from someone on tumblr who ”read” Piljoo as a psychopath and it was the way she could “accept” him. Her perspective was very interesting and it kinda “fit” too. Piljoo was to me, definitely not “normal” anymore. His moral compass was all obliterated and while I “felt” him and rooted for him there was a bit of “monster” in him, imo. But yeah as you can see I  “bought” this character and thats why I always end up rambling on and on about him lol, sorry about that. 

Actually, that's not what I meant. KPJ as character I thought was magnificent. I didn't think he was a psychopath, just very committed and sharp. He just didn't feel real because he didn't have a life! As a character he was defined only within the confines of his revenge. He had only one friend outside the family and that's it. And I'm sorry- I don't buy a 40 year old man that looks like that and never was involved with a woman. The show had a very limited number of characters that was defined very early in the show and was never expanded (this is where the soap aspect comes into play). As to the plot, the bad guys were no match to KPJ, so the entire convoluted revenge he was plotting felt redundant. Basically, I didn't think the show was well written. I don't think it's my job to fill in the blanks that were left within the show, I think it's the role of the writers.

In Midas at least JH's character had a life- friends, family, a love. The scope of the show was wider and we had several side plots, which made the show richer. Again, I don't think that Midas was perfect (I still don't understand what made JH choose to make his character so bland...), but the basic plot made sense, it was interesting and surprising and didn't have that many holes in it. So, from that aspect it was better. I think that both shows could have benefited from sexing it up a bit. :)  I think that it would have been much more interesting if JH's character in Midas had slept with his boss in that last night before she betrayed him, and in MF I think Mal-Ran should have been a conniving femme fatale rather than the vulnerable wack-job she actually was. I'm not even going to discuss the boring love interests in both shows... :blink:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

A very cute review of MC- lots of praise for JH, and it seems like these ladies agree with some of you- they also want to see JH play a vampire! :) 

Very interesting review indeed. I love what they commented about him in the last scene. Was his last line on the throne  "You did well" for himself, for Hwi or for the both of them? Now maybe this is the question I would like to ask him. And they are right, he is ridiculously talented and we fans know not just that,how hardworking he is to reach that. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

this is sooooo funny! Haha the way he answered them. His typical serious self yet dry sense of humour. Did he write the answers in English himself or was it a verbal interview that was transcribed? thanks @azureblue7

Don't you just love his sense of humour? Hahaha! I'm not sure if he had written the answers himself.  But that cancellation on the questionnaire was done by him.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

12 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

Well it's really easy to gain weight when you're older and especially if you like eating carbs such as bread.  I was watching his travel video of him making the alligator bread.  He was so cute in the process and him with the baby girl was so adorable.  I just wish I understood what he was saying.

Hahaha yes, I watched it some time back ago. The alligator bread seemed tempting and he spoke english with the little girl. It's 8 eps in total and I watched it with chinese subtitle.

I like the part where he gave his ring to the magician and when the magician returned him the ring, he checked the inside of the ring (hahaha - to make sure the name inside the ring is correct - must be his wedding ring) and quickly wore it back in his wedding finger. :lol: He'll be a dead meat if he lost his wedding ring...heehee!

• LOL 3

7 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

but others being annoyed at them and rooting instead for Lee Honey’s character (the princess/Queen) understandable as she was very cool and charismatic.

I'm one of the people for Wang So and the Queen. :D I didn't find much problem with SOGC but I thought he did bring a little of Li Gun to this drama. The way he acted nonchalant and the way he laughed. It seemed like Li Gun in a costume.

Maybe I would prefer some "challenge" to spice up the drama instead of falling in love with Gaebong ONLY. It would be nice if he also fell in love with Queen Daemok eventually so he had to choose between the 2....hahaha....

But JH got criticism in korean media for this role (again, the same old comparison to Daegil bla bla bla and blaming him for everything that wasn’t working since he was the lead)

It's so sad isn't it? The guy's only doing his work. Why always compare him with Daegil? Just like the actor in VIP now, he got so much of criticisms/hate for acting a jerk in the drama. Netizens cannot separate real and reel.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

And they really should start to move past Dae gil...

I honestly get annoyed too when audience are STILL comparing him or his acting style with Daegil. I have "enjoyed" his role in all of his drama, I may not have enjoyed the plot but I have enjoyed his playing. But if I have to watch Daegil in every of his role or Li Gun in every of his role, I will get bored. For that matter, even Pil Joo whom I love so much. But if every drama is a Pil Joo...I'll go too.

they blurred his face a lot in Money Flower. The drama overall had a sort of “filter”.

Sorry, I don't understand this part. Blurred his face alot in MF?

4 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

And I'm sorry- I don't buy a 40 year old man that looks like that and never was involved with a woman.

The writer(s) didn't add a woman for him to get involved with. Lol. Just like MC, they forgot to add his onscreen wife although I would love to see one who would support BW in his fight against his father and the rest of the clan.

• Like 3

A very cute review of MC- lots of praise for JH, and it seems like these ladies agree with some of you- they also want to see JH play a vampire! :) 

There are so many roles I want to see him play but not vampire. He would be the most handsome and hot vampire and the women would gladly let him have their blood. :PAlthough it'll be nice to see how he's going to portray a vampire.

And both sucked when it came to the love story :) 

Frankly, apart from FTLY with Mi Young, all of his love story sucked. His relationship with Min Jae (BM), with Sun Joo (BPP), with So Yi (TWDR), with So Sa (Gaekju), with Jung Yeon (Midas). In MF, even Boo Cheon relationship with Mo Hyun sucked.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Frankly, apart from FTLY with Mi Young, all of his love story sucked. His relationship with Min Jae (BM), with Sun Joo (BPP), with So Yi (TWDR), with So Sa (Gaekju), with Jung Yeon (Midas). In MF, even Boo Cheon relationship with Mo Hyun sucked.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed that JH’s next project after the OCN thriller is a romance melo or rom com! I hope he takes on a project around autumn/winter 2020. I can’t bear waiting till 2021 :tears:

I’m not super excited about Tell Me because I think a lot of the time is also going to be focused on the police cracking cases and also the criminals/victims. Means less airtime or character development for JH! But I’m still super excited to see how he interprets his character. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Let’s keep our fingers crossed that JH’s next project after the OCN thriller is a romance melo or rom com! I hope he takes on a project around autumn/winter 2020. I can’t bear waiting till 2021 :tears:

I’m not super excited about Tell Me because I think a lot of the time is also going to be focused on the police cracking cases and also the criminals/victims. Means less airtime or character development for JH! But I’m still super excited to see how he interprets his character.

I don't mind a (mature) love story. How shall I put it? A story with love? A love with story? Basically, I don't like just focusing on love you love me, or being lovesick. Not that type of story (for me).

So far I don't feel any excitement about TM yet but you could be right. If it's going to be police cracking cases/criminal/victims, we're not going to see much character development for Hyun Jae (JH). Whether I'll like the plot or not (depends) but definitely will like the way JH plays Hyun Jae.

Is there any character that he hasn't played? I hope he plays that the next role after TM. He had been a doctor, a lawyer, a judge, a businessman, a dancer, a gangster, a PE teacher, a boxer, a prince, a con man, a swordman, a hunter, a firefighter, a suspect, a policeman, a secret agent. Did I miss out any role? So I hope he will play (next role after TM) a top pugilist (the one that flies), an army officer in a battlefield, a bad emperor, a good-for-nothing rich man son (playboy)....ok, a vampire is fine too.

:lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

13 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Oh please if you can find it! I thoroughly enjoy reading everything about JH. I’m sure he would be so amused seeing the type of questions his fans ask him hehe.

If I could ask him Some questions, they would be: 

1. What’s your approach to deciding what acting projects to take on at each point in time?

2. your fans are constantly worried for you and always wish the best for you :lol:  can you share what is your definition of an unsuccessful project, how do you usually feel after and how do you overcome it?

3. How do you juggle family and worklife?

4. Can you please never stop acting? (Joking haha)

5. what is your personal favourite hairstyle? (Sorry just had to but I’m serious about this question!!!)

edit: additional question - do you have a say in the hairstyle you choose in your shows? How are those styles decided? Sometimes they look quite “interesting”. :sweatingbullets: Next to your acting that’s the number 2 topic they talk about! 

this is sooooo funny! Haha the way he answered them. His typical serious self yet dry sense of humour. Did he write the answers in English himself or was it a verbal interview that was transcribed? thanks @azureblue7

I think I have questions that pop up while I was watching a drama, interview, etc. but isn't apparent to me now that this was asked.  I also worry that since there are so many interviews etc not subtitle that he might of answered it already.  Here are a few from recent topics.

1.  How would you like to spend time with your fans at an ideal fan meeting?  How much of what's organize depend on your fans or outside source? (hihi this give us insight to singing etc that was hot discussion)

2. It seems like you enjoy travel.  What place left a great impression on you and that you often return to?  What new place do you still want to explore?

3. Do you ever get fantasy scripts genre?  (vampire, god/demon/ghost, fairy tales-ancient time)  Or was there ever one you saw and thought I could of done that role or it would be interesting to try?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, phoenix24 said:

I think I have questions that pop up while I was watching a drama, interview, etc. but isn't apparent to me now that this was asked.  I also worry that since there are so many interviews etc not subtitle that he might of answered it already.  Here are a few from recent topics.

1.  How would you like to spend time with your fans at an ideal fan meeting?  How much of what's organize depend on your fans or outside source? (hihi this give us insight to singing etc that was hot discussion)

2. It seems like you enjoy travel.  What place left a great impression on you and that you often return to?  What new place do you still want to explore?

3. Do you ever get fantasy scripts genre?  (vampire, god/demon/ghost, fairy tales-ancient time)  Or was there ever one you saw and thought I could of done that role or it would be interesting to try?

Good questions! I want to know the answers to those too haha. 

Sometimes i feel in asian culture the type of questions asked are still very “fan-service” in nature. I’m so glad JH no longer has to answer the question like “who/what is your ideal type”. In the (ridiculous) event he gets those, he can just say his wife. Haha. I actually feel like I get a sense where interviewers are not allowed to ask him questions about his wife specifically. How they met, generic family questions are probably still ok but I rarely hear any questions abt that and it’s probably in the list of areas where the territory cannot be treaded. I know some artists place those conditions. And that is why I also think a lot of times when any romantic rumors questions are put forth, they are already expected and the artists have an answer to it. Heck, it probably was also allowed for the sake of drumming up publicity! :lol:

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Is there any character that he hasn't played?

I rmbr JH saying that it’s not so much the profession of the character that matters to him. But rather the personality and the growth of that character. He could play doctors again and again but it is the persona behind the profession that he is excited to portray. But seems like he hasn’t fulfilled his dream of playing the role of a ruling king yet haha. 

I for one would love to see him play a prime minister/president, or a playboy too, or a gifted but troubled musician/poet. 

But ironically, I actually really want him to play a commoner the most. Just a simple man, working hard with a simple love story. Something that is about everyday life struggles but hopeful and heartwarming. 

Someone mentioned earlier that he has a very beautiful speaking voice. I really wish he did a role where he just spoke his normal gentle, quiet and casual-paced tone without any shouts or growls or intentional voice inflections. I think this is part of the reason why some people (I’ve read comments frm general international community) feel that he can be abit over the top. I don’t think that’s his intention at all, but it’s just that sometimes the roles he take are quite dramatic, and JH is also the type to fully “own” a character, so maybe it could be seen as such. But his latest roles recently have definitely seen a shift from the past. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, budgerie said:

I don't mind a (mature) love story. How shall I put it? A story with love? A love with story? Basically, I don't like just focusing on love you love me, or being lovesick. Not that type of story (for me).

So far I don't feel any excitement about TM yet but you could be right. If it's going to be police cracking cases/criminal/victims, we're not going to see much character development for Hyun Jae (JH). Whether I'll like the plot or not (depends) but definitely will like the way JH plays Hyun Jae.

I'm still kinda hopeful about this role just because of the things the lead actress said, that it will be more a psychological thriller. I really don't want this show to have the same structure as "The guest" and "Voice". That will bore me so... I was bored while both those shows. I would love it if it was rather a thriller like the movie "Sea of Love" or "child 44". However, the truth is, other than FTLY, BM and Robbers, I haven't seen love stories handled very well to my taste in Kdramas in general, even in shows that are defined as rom coms or melo. It always starts out nicely, but then it is dragged out strangely because of the asexuality of kdramas. Very rarely did I see a good depiction of growing sexual tension between the two character in Kdramas, as usually the women are depicted like children from that aspect. 

2 hours ago, budgerie said:

Is there any character that he hasn't played? I hope he plays that the next role after TM. He had been a doctor, a lawyer, a judge, a businessman, a dancer, a gangster, a PE teacher, a boxer, a prince, a con man, a swordman, a hunter, a firefighter, a suspect, a policeman, a secret agent. Did I miss out any role? So I hope he will play (next role after TM) a top pugilist (the one that flies), an army officer in a battlefield, a bad emperor, a good-for-nothing rich man son (playboy)....ok, a vampire is fine too.

:lol:

Ooooh, what kind of character would I like to see next from JH?... I really don't like vampire stories, so what would I like? Forbidden love is always great, so maybe play a protector that falls in love with the woman he's supposed to protect? Something like a good "Bodyguard"? In a historical show maybe a simple soldier that falls in love with noble women? 

Since JH is so good at analyzing the psychology of his characters, I would love to see him portray complex characters like a soldier that suffers from PTSD or from an injury. A parent that lost a child- that I know JH will portray beautifully and sensitively. We saw a glimpse of that in FTLY.

Another character I would love to see JH play is a police captain similar to the real captain in "Urban cops". Someone who is smart, calm, respected and extremely intense and committed. No screaming for this character, only commanding respect by his sheer presence and charisma... The best thing would be to see that guy fall in love :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

I rmbr JH saying that it’s not so much the profession of the character that matters to him. But rather the personality and the growth of that character. He could play doctors again and again but it is the persona behind the profession that he is excited to portray. But seems like he hasn’t fulfilled his dream of playing the role of a ruling king yet haha. 

Completely agree. With JH it doesn't really matter the general definition of the character, it can be a doctor, a police man, a criminal, a king, whatever. What is the most important is the type of person he is, his character, and his personal background. 

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

Someone mentioned earlier that he has a very beautiful speaking voice. I really wish he did a role where he just spoke his normal gentle, quiet and casual-paced tone without any shouts or growls or intentional voice inflections. I think this is part of the reason why some people (I’ve read comments frm general international community) feel that he can be abit over the top. I don’t think that’s his intention at all, but it’s just that sometimes the roles he take are quite dramatic, and JH is also the type to fully “own” a character, so maybe it could be seen as such. But his latest roles recently have definitely seen a shift from the past. :)

That was me talking about his normal speaking voice :)  It's just so soothing and soft. I love it how his friends say that this is why he doesn't grate or considered chatty, even when he speaks for hours :D. JH also said that he's the one who calms the conversations with his friends in the Dragon Club because they are high intensity and he is low (I don't remember in which interview he said that- it was so funny the way he said that). I would love to see him use that tone of voice in a show...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Another character I would love to see JH play is a police captain similar to the real captain in "Urban cops". Someone who is smart, calm, respected and extremely intense and committed. No screaming with character, only commanding respect by his sheer presence and charisma... The best thing would be to see that guy fall in love :)

That was why watching Lee Young Oh fall in real love was such a joy to watch! It wasn’t natural for him, but he couldn’t help himself. JH does that really well. He showed that too in FTLY, how he slowly fell for Mi Young. It was a beautiful thing to watch. 

6 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I really don't want this show to have the same structure as "The guest" and "Voice". That will bore me so... I was bored while both those shows

Hmm but I really really think the show will follow that format. I hope to be proven wrong, of course. But it seems like a procedural show with diff cases each week. I don’t like this format but if Koreans like it, I guess as long as its a ratings success outing then I’ll be happy for JH. As for psychological thriller, I think Voice was also considered a psychological thriller genre by the general public and maybe even the producers themselves, no? 

8 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Forbidden love is always great, so maybe play a protector that falls in love with the woman he's supposed to protect? Something like a good "Bodyguard"? In a historical show maybe a simple soldier that falls in love with noble women? 

OH YES forbidden love would be so well portrayed by him!

Oh I just thought of it. I think he will be good in an inspiring role. He likes to dish advices haha. He can be in a Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO) kind of role. The Cult Japanese drama. 

• Like 3