23 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Here's the BTS!! 10 mins long but his part is only less than a min..Little prince and Prince BW is so cute. Too bad I don't understand their dialogue

50 seconds, well at least they heard our rantings here hahaha

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Meanwhile, let's admire his beautiful eyes once more...

Not just the eyes ok. The nose and lips and moustache too! 

2 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

By the way I've never seen people shipping JH with anybody except Jang Nara that too only for a while. He doesn't do romantic dramas in the first place and his advancing age means he won't be doing anymore in the future. So we are safe. :D

Even that for a while was awful enough in the sense that I read comments like "he can always divorce his wife to be with JNR" (this is 1 example) and many more suggesting divorce. I really think and feel this is awful. I feel like bashing up these brainless fans. He is a married man with children, where is the respect for his family?

But to me, his advancing age (his current look) is super suitable for a romantic genre although I am not a rom-com fan. Ok maybe not like Li Gun that type of personality but a more mature family man drama will be nice. Bad Papa was too sad and Ji Cheol had a hard life. We don't need JH to act another man with a hard life. Heeheehee! 

Oh wait! Didn't I want him to act "flying" genre? I really hope to see it one day that he is a top pugilist and he flies + he sword too. 

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

I swear I'm going to learn Korean... so frustrating...

Good luck to you - happy learning! I am going to faint just from learning the alphabets alone! Mine! It is so difficult to remember, there are so many alphabets and the writing almost look similar! :sweat_smile:

And the bts little Crown Prince is so cute! Like it when he squat together with Bang Won. Must be tired standing.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

@budgerie @Prettysup @fiesty8001 I was referring to “character ships” which I don’t mind I actually enjoy the fanart, funny memes and commentary around them etc  Real life shipping, no use to waste one’s energy on that but yeah Jang Hyuk has only being shipped that hard with Jang Nara and I’m sorry but I really don’t care too much either. I guess I’m “insensitive” to certain things? like you said you don’t have any feelings for characters, I myself don’t get bothered by fans/people’s reactions, unless they become scary or aggressive. Like if they start insulting him or his wife then yeah

About his age and rom com, yeah, first he never focused on rom com, second he probably has less chances of doing that, but I don’t see why he can’t have subtle romantic/sexy situations in different genre dramas. He is so sexy! It’s all going to waste. I understand no romance in a drama like “Voice” (to give an example) but was it absolutely necessary to have such a boring relationship with the wife in Bad Papa? They should’ve been hotter at least in flashback. Was it necessary for Piljoo and MoHyun to be so chaste? He was just exuding sex appeal in that drama, it was killing me! And then, they left me like that, no satisfaction ugh (and I don’t think its lack of chemistry with the actress at all) So yeah! No need for much here! No one is saying rom com, just some sexiness. Other ahjussis are still doing that. End of rant. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

He is so sexy! It’s all going to waste. I understand no romance in a drama like “Voice” (to give an example) but was it absolutely necessary to have such a boring relationship with the wife in Bad Papa? They should’ve been hotter at least in flashback. Was it necessary for Piljoo and MoHyun to be so chaste? He was just exuding sex appeal in that drama, it was killing me! And then, they left me like that, no satisfaction ugh (and I don’t think its lack of chemistry with the actress at all) So yeah! No need for much here! No one is saying rom com, just some sexiness. Other ahjussis are still doing that. End of rant. 

I totally agree with you! Even for such a non-romance drama like Voice, some people also find him sexy..haha.:lol:  I read this recent interview with Taiwanese popular TV host/singer/actress Dee Hsu or Xiao S. When someone recommended her to watch the Korean drama "Strangers from Hell", she laughed and said, "But there is no romance in it, there's nothing to fantasize about, why should I watch it? The only non-romance Korean drama that I can accept is Voice season one. I love Jang Hyuk too much, so I can have endless fantasies about him!"

(Source:https://www.google.com/amp/s/udn.com/news/amp/story/7270/4123530)

Lol , and I thought detective MJH is JH's  least sexy character.:joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

31 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

but was it absolutely necessary to have such a boring relationship with the wife in Bad Papa? They should’ve been hotter at least in flashback.

Ya! You felt it too right? I mean, and they reconciled didn't they? When Ji Cheol brought Sun Joo to their new home to the study room. Their daughter Young Sun wasn't at home. They could have hanky panky! :lol:

Can't remember which episode when Ji Cheol asked Sun Joo if she is still writing. She replied no. And he said why is she still sleeping in the study room then, he said he is lonely. And what was the wife reply? Haiz...this wife also another one. But given their monetary situation at that time, wife is in no mood for hanky panky. :sweat_smile:

Was it necessary for Piljoo and MoHyun to be so chaste? He was just exuding sex appeal in that drama, it was killing me! And then, they left me like that, no satisfaction ugh (and I don’t think its lack of chemistry with the actress at all) So yeah! No need for much here! No one is saying rom com, just some sexiness. Other ahjussis are still doing that. End of rant. 

At least MH had BC ok. She wasn't lonely. PJ was lonely. :sleepy:So was Chil Sung in WOL. He was lonely. Bang Won is also lonely in the drama.

And BM was cut short, else they could develop the wifi couple. Imagine the ending at the middle of the road is so anti climax. :blink: 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Nah! There’s affection and affection. The way Bucheon and Piljoo ate those apples has nothing to do with “affection”. It was homo-erotic innuendo and it was damn blatant. Also they way Bucheon would stare at Piljoo. WOL Poong - Chilsung bromance or Lee Gun - Sec Tak bromance was much more like the playful friendly banter you refer to (though there was butt smacking from Lee Gun and Sec Tak haha!) Im ok with all kinds of fantasies and pairings imagined or insinuated as long as its consensual and not abusive, all is good with me :P 

But, yes, kpop idol culture exploits the flower boy concept to a fault and yet ironically, korean society is still pretty closed minded regarding LGBTQ community rights. 

OK. But all my life I have been thinking that the affection is affection. Bucheon and Piljoo crushed those apples as a balatant display of their hidden desire of crushing(NOT caressing) each-other.:w00t:

Dad joke aside but I wonder how much role does our own perception play in interpreting such scenes? You said that supposedly homoerotic elements are conciously introduced in the K-dramas while I think good part of it can also be unintentional.

For example butt smacking seems to be completely non-sexual and very affectionate gesture in Korea and few other East Asain countries. I've seen men to men, ajjumas to men, ajjushis to men, men to kids and even kids to men butt smacking in real life situations so I don't think this gesture surves any implicit purpose in the K dramas. 

Flower boy facination in K-pop culture is quiet new. You must have noticed that earlier generation male idols look very different. Greatest irony is if any idol actually comes out of the closet then he/she would be instantly ousted from the industry. You might have heard about Hong Suk Chun who was a television personality and actor but got stigmatized after revealing his sexuality on a variety show although now he is a successful entrepreneur. I rememeber in variety shows he used to say that Lee Jung Jae was his ideal man but LJJ urged him to stop so he asked permission from Song Seung Heon to call him his ideal man and SSH readily agreed.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Arrgh why is the new BTS not available on Youtube yet ?? Paili Paili ... Anyone can watch this ??

Edit : Oh I can watch it now, just press the 'share' button!! Haha,,,

Jang Hyuk's portion 03:15 ~ 04:05

https://tv.naver.com/v/10935657

Why is everyone bts so long and Bang Won bts is so short! :rage:

• Sad 1

@fiesty8001 Much of everything is unintentional, but these examples I mentioned are OBVIOUS lol. I don’t look or care for homo-erotism, I even roll my eyes when they try too hard (MC) It’s just there blatantly and purposely. Kdramas and mostly Kpop loves to exploit this and it actually makes some people upset btw, given the irony that korean society is actually closed minded about this. It’s seen as exploitation of gay culture without actual embrace of gay culture. I just see what is blatant and sometimes even cheesy and devoid of all subtlety (like the MC boy pairing) 

I was joking about Lee Gun butt smacking Sec Tak, tho it was wacky/weird but thats just Lee Gun being Lee Gun and Sec Tak being Sec Tak 

First time I was introduced to this concept of flower boy was ironically on Queen Seondeok and not BOF lol,  for some reason they called the young guys in the military “flower boys” and I was like huh? Whats this? But yeah I haven’t researched where the whole concept started and now I’m curious. 

Ah yes! It was hwarang! Thats what they had in Queen Seondeok. I just looked it up on wikipedia. Very interesting. Maybe the concept is not that new. 

Hwarang, also known as Flowering Knights,[1]were an elite warrior group of male youth in Silla, an ancient kingdom of the Korean Peninsula that lasted until the 10th century. There were educational institutions as well as social clubs where members gathered for all aspects of study, originally for arts and culture as well as religious teachings stemming mainly from Korean Buddhism. Chinese sources referred only to the physical beauty of the "Flower Youths".[2] Originally, the hwarang were known for their use of make-up and cosmetic decorations and accessories. The history of the hwarang was not widely known until after the National Liberation Day of Korea in 1945, after which the hwarang became elevated to a symbolic importance.[3]

The Hwarang were also referred to as Hyangdo("fragrant ones"), the word hwarang and its colloquial derivatives being used for everything from playboy to shaman or husband of a female shaman. The word remained in common use until the 12th century but with more derogatory connotations.[

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

38 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

but yeah Jang Hyuk has only being shipped that hard with Jang Nara and I’m sorry but I really don’t care too much either.

I guess I’m “insensitive” to unless they become scary or aggressive. 

but I don’t see why he can’t have subtle romantic/sexy situations in different genre dramas. He is so sexy!

My reply was specifically for @budgerie. I also don't care about 'character ships' as long as people don't loose common sense. To be honest older actors/actresses don't even get shipped too seriously. It's usually super popular younger/idol actors who tend to have delusional fans.

He can't have subtle sexy or romantic situation only because of the writers/directors. I've been waiting for his sexy/romantic melodrama since ages. I'm still hopeful about it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

First time I was introduced to this concept of flower boy was ironically on Queen Seondeok and not BOF lol,  for some reason they called the young guys in the military “flower boys” and I was like huh? Whats this? But yeah I haven’t researched where the whole concept started and now I’m curious. 

Actually 'flower boy' concept has very long hostory but this term had several meanings at several time-periods. I think the term was originally used to denote elegant scholarly men who also happened to be great warriors. 

Though much different from modern 'flower boys' but this type of masculine ideals were present in all of ancient eastern civilizations including Indian and Chinese. But offcourse in past in all likelihood this concept was never used to imply any sort of homoeroticism.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

41 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

Actually 'flower boy' concept has very long hostory but this term had several meanings at several time-periods. I think the term was originally used to denote elegant scholarly men who also happened to be great warriors. 

And wear makeup :)

44 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

. But offcourse in past in all likelihood this concept was never used to imply any sort of homoeroticism.

Never? Are you sure? Thats not the idea I get from what I just read (wikipedia and the article I posted) 

Anyhow, I think this is too off topic since this is JH thread and he has never been a flower boy nor I forsee him becoming a flower man :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

Anyhow, I think this is too off topic since this is JH thread and he has never been a flower boy nor I forsee him becoming a flower man :lol:

My brother was the one who actually started watching kdramas, but I told him I couldn't get into that cause the guys look like girls, and that's just not my thing :) and then he told me to watch FTLY, and the rest is history...  

But actually, there are some pictures in which you could call JH a flower boy... :) this post is actually from the "stuck on hyuk", which is dramafan33's site, right?

https://stuckonhyuk.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/jang-hyuk-the-flower-boy/

Some examples from that post- 

20140319-005234.jpg20140319-005312.jpg

Thank god he outgrew that phase...

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

9 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

My reply was specifically for @budgerie. I also don't care about 'character ships' as long as people don't loose common sense. To be honest older actors/actresses don't even get shipped too seriously. It's usually super popular younger/idol actors who tend to have delusional fans.

Problem is (most) fans lose common sense. I don't know if they are the very young fans who ship every couple they see on screen. You know, girl fantasy that sort of thing.

Remember I said comments that said JH should divorce his wife to go with JNR, it is also the same people who commented that "wish he is a real couple" with Oh Yeon Seo (lead actress of SOGC). So who do they wish is the real couple, JH with JNR or JH with OYS??? Scratch my head! 

9 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

He can't have subtle sexy or romantic situation only because of the writers/directors. I've been waiting for his sexy/romantic melodrama since ages. I'm still hopeful about it.

Although JH said in interviews that work supersede personal life when he is working, that he is willing to try out all sorts of genre. But I think as age catches up, he might cut down intimate scenes. Generally a person becomes shy with age. Not saying this applies to everyone. JH is already a shy person to begin with.  

I do not know if this is reason enough, but it might also be one of the reason he doesn't do many intimate scenes - because of his children. His wife understands his work but his children (maybe) does not. Which son or daughter likes to see their father kissing another women and on TV? Or maybe his sons classmates might tease the boys, your father kissing another women....(who knows).  

I refuse to believe that his family doesn't watch his drama totally. His 2 boys are not toddlers anymore, should be 12 and 11 by now. Plus we are not living in the stone age. Everything is easily accessible via handphone. Unless of course if the boys don't have a hp. 

I remember in an interview (Daegil interview), JH said his family (which I assume is wife) asked him to bring home the script for last episode because curious to know the ending. Also in the poster making for MF, he mentioned something about his wife (but no translation so I don't know what he is saying). I think maybe his wife does selective watching like Chuno, MF and even MC. 

7 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Thank god he outgrew that phase...

I think (for me), it is more the fashion of the day than it is flower boy. When I first encountered him in SSBG, I didn't find him handsome at all. His hair! His acting! His look! His clothing! Btw, do you think he might have gone for any slight PS at all? 

If you go back to TY drama, his right side of the face near the ear, has a black mole. Big enough to be noticed. But in his later drama, the mole missing. In my opinion, I think his look (only) started to look better after Chuno. Before that, he doesn't look handsome as in handsome.

Unlike now, he is so handsome that is making women drool and making women fast heartbeat. This 43 year old ahjusshi is getting hotter and hotter and more and more handsome! As a chinese saying goes : men in their 40s still a flower, women in their 40s a withered flower. :sweat_smile:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

10 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Omg I have a feeling tonight is going to be good again! So much swagger and fearlessness in the first picture of LBW when the arrow is pointed at him. Sigh JH is playing this role to perfection. 

I think it will be interesting because king is taking his revenge on Bang Won. It has been a while since he let down his hair. As in half tied up, half let down. I love that! 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2019 at 12:56 PM, Prettysup said:

Wow it's nice to read detailed 'report' of how one fall in love with Hyukie!! I love your descriptions !!

For me  it was in 2015 when I saw reports of a new upcoming drama 'Merchant 2015', and I read the comments of ppl saying how they love this JH guy from Chuno etc. So I went to google images of Chuno and saw a long curly hair dirty male lead, which I was put off haha.. Doesnt look to be my cup of tea.  Later somehow I can't rem why but I still went to watch it, and was blown off by Daegil. But one drama was not enuf to seal the fate, so I went on to find his other works and watched TWDR, and double wow!!! Got seriously hooked after that haha..

I seriously can’t recall which was my first JH drama - was is Chuno or FTLY? I can’t recall but whatever it was, I couldn’t stop! I searched for JH high and Low from drama to variety to everything he had done under the sun hahahah! I was not working for a year and that one year really made me understand him a whole lot more.

my favourite variety show has to be ‘real men’ because yup what a real man he was lol! 

I love ‘dragon club’ too and was Hoping there is a part 2. I never expect myself to like a program where a group of ahjussi came together for a holiday, with no theme, no agenda - just them

being themselves and didn’t we all get to know JH a lot more from that one too.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

I think (for me), it is more the fashion of the day than it is flower boy. When I first encountered him in SSBG, I didn't find him handsome at all. His hair! His acting! His look! His clothing! Btw, do you think he might have gone for any slight PS at all? 

If you go back to TY drama, his right side of the face near the ear, has a black mole. Big enough to be noticed. But in his later drama, the mole missing. In my opinion, I think his look (only) started to look better after Chuno. Before that, he doesn't look handsome as in handsome.

Probably had to do with the fashion of the day, but generally speaking, in Korea I feel what is acceptable for guys is more feminine by western standards. Often JH will appear with overly made hair, something that is less common in the west. I guess that is cause of the hair type- JH natural hair is straight and lanky, as we saw in real men. He has to use strong products to have it design. Often you will see his hair sparkling because of hair spray.

As to the mole- I actually noticed that but didn't want to comment because that's a bit of a serious subject. While most of  you guys drool over his moles, they actually have me worried. I don't know if you know, but those moles often run the risk of turning cancerous. Since JH has a very clear genetic tendency for them, as all his body is covered with them, it means he has a high risk of cancer. I bet and I hope he has every single one of them followed by a doctor. He has to. If you notice most of his moles are flat, which is good. Means they're not changing. But that mole near his ear? That was raised. Meaning it was more dangerous. My guess is that he had it removed not because of concerns for beauty, but out of health concerns. Sorry to bring down the mood, but you asked...

I often think that men in their 40th look the best in their lives, so I'm not surprised JH's looks better today than ever. I think for a woman it's the combination of experience and confidence, together with the slight changes the face undergoes at 40. So, no, I don't think any PS that was not medical was done, but who knows?  I understand that PS industry in Korea is very good and PSs are very common and acceptable.

• Like 3