i think he's by far looks great without hat

so far his look in Thank You suits him the best

Agree! Agree! He looks better without hat or baseball caps.

He seems the best looking amongst the lot, his army stint has done him justice . No offense to fans of others.

Thanks all for the beautiful recent pics.

Guest o-cha

lovegoodfood and Suz07 : thanks for the new pics! He is still in Japan, right?

kiwistar : he could definitely be Hyun Bin's older brother...hehehe.

more pics from the May 29 interviews -- close up pics

pic credit: yonhap news

052907tokyohallyufestival2.jpg

052907tokyohallyufestival1.jpg

the first pic---omg....melts my heart...hehehe

Guest kaonamp

O-cha, hi!! seems like you and I have the same taste in MEN...heheh.

But thanks for sharing those great pictures of our handsome Jang Hyuk. I just love seeing that smile of his. It makes me smile everytime I see it. But wow I can't believe his thread is moving again, thats great. He's such a great guy, I think most people just don't realize it yet but I'm pretty sure he'll gain more fans once TY is shown across the world.

But you know I'm gonna have to disagree with some of you, I think he looks great in a hat.

Again thanks for all the news and lastest photos of him.

Guest o-cha

kaonamp : hihihihi...I agree...apparently so...and actually I like So Ji Sub too. I think Jang Hyuk looks fine in hats..just maybe not so much with glasses (not sunglasses-he looks hot with sunglasses!).

Apparently Jang Hyuk is back in Seoul already. The pics that lovegoodfoor and Suz07 are from a fashion show last night (May 31). I tried translating the article--my translation isn't very good but I hope you all can understand....hehehe.

http://news.media.daum.net/entertain/broad.../v16935458.html

news credit: newsen

translation: o-cha

제대 후 더 멋져진 장혁 ‘오늘은 깜짝 MC’

Jang Hyuk "An Unexpected MC Today"

MBC ‘고맙습니다’로 성공적으로 안방극장에 복귀한 탤런트 장혁이 31일 오후 4시 30분 서울 삼성동 한 카페에서 열린 ‘에린 브리니에’ 런칭쇼에 깜짝 MC로 등장했다.

The success of MBC's "Thank You" marks the return of actor Jang Hyuk. On the 31 at 4:30 PM in a cafe in Seoul Sam Sung Dong Jang Hyuk became the unexpected MC for the launching of the fashion line 'Erin Brinney' (I'm not sure about the fashion line name).

평소 말수가 적기로 유명한 장혁은 이날 남색 모자에 정장 상의를 입고 차분한 목소리로 런칭쇼 오프닝의 진행을 맡아 눈길을 끌었다. 장혁의 이번 패션쇼 깜짝 진행은 이 의류회사 관계자와의 인연으로 성사된 것으로 알려졌다.

Jang Hyuk in his usual blue hat and blazer started the opening of the launching show. Later on in this fashion show it became known that Jang Hyuk is close with the clothing company officials. (not sure about this sentence).

여성 신규 브랜드 ‘에린 브리니에’는 이기선 이사가 총괄 디렉터를 맡아 프랑스 디자이너 ‘에린 브리니에’ 라는 가상 인물의 라이프스타일에 맞춰 여성스러우면서도 심플하고 세련된 멋을 추구하는 영 캐주얼이다.

The women brand "Erin Brinney" is a ready-to-wear line from a French designer. The aim of "Erin Brinney" is the lifestyle of modern women that is simple and refined.

이날 패션쇼에는 인기 연예인 정려원 김은주 등이 참석해 자리를 빛냈다.

Popular entertainers such as Jung Ryeo Won and Kim Eun Joo also attended last night's fashion show.

권현진 khj76@newsen.com

(Kwon Hyun Jun reporting)

Guest betchay

THANKS FOR SHARING HIS NEW LATEST PICTURES. I PREFER HIM WITHOUT THE CAP, I LOVED HIS DR. MIN GI SEO LOOKS.:wub: HOPE TO SEE AND READ MORE UPDATES ABOUT HIM. THANKS AGAIN!

Guest Wynter

Thank you, Suz, lovegoodfood and o-cha for the pictures and the news! I think JH looks good in the beret, lol, but I prefer him without it. What's with him and hats these days? He seems to be wearing them a lot (he wore one in Gpzigi too). But I like those sunglasses... and the smile! ♥

Right now I'm downloading Dae Mang raws and uploading them to Mediafire. I'm planning on subbing them in English, but I'm translating from Chinese subs since I don't understand English Korean (<_< typo!). This is perhaps not the right place to ask, but I'm sure Jang Hyuk fans would like to watch this drama subbed, right? I know it isn't very popular though, because the raws were difficult to find. So my request: I need someone who understands Korean to spot translate for me, to see if I missed anything and to fix things that got lost in translation. This shouldn't be a very heavy project though, because the going will be slow (you'll have to wait for me to translate, download the raws and time them first ;)). I really hope this project won't fall through, because I want to share the goodness of this drama will all his fans (and everyone else too!).

Right now I'm downloading Dae Mang raws and uploading them to Mediafire. I'm planning on subbing them in English, but I'm translating from Chinese subs since I don't understand English. This is perhaps not the right place to ask, but I'm sure Jang Hyuk fans would like to watch this drama subbed, right? I know it isn't very popular though, because the raws were difficult to find. So my request: I need someone who understands Korean to spot translate for me, to see if I missed anything and to fix things that got lost in translation. This shouldn't be a very heavy project though, because the going will be slow (you'll have to wait for me to translate, download the raws and time them first ^^;). I really hope this project won't fall through, because I want to share the goodness of this drama will all his fans (and everyone else too!).

OMG, really? You're planning on subbing Dae Mang? Thank you soo much :w00t:. Too bad tho, I neither understand Korean nor Chinese, so I can't be of help. But I would surely wait for you :).

Guest o-cha

Right now I'm downloading Dae Mang raws and uploading them to Mediafire. I'm planning on subbing them in English, but I'm translating from Chinese subs since I don't understand English Korean (<_< typo!). This is perhaps not the right place to ask, but I'm sure Jang Hyuk fans would like to watch this drama subbed, right? I know it isn't very popular though, because the raws were difficult to find. So my request: I need someone who understands Korean to spot translate for me, to see if I missed anything and to fix things that got lost in translation. This shouldn't be a very heavy project though, because the going will be slow (you'll have to wait for me to translate, download the raws and time them first ;)). I really hope this project won't fall through, because I want to share the goodness of this drama will all his fans (and everyone else too!).

Wynter: o my gosh...that would be awesome if you're subbing Dae Mang. My Korean language knowledge is pretty limited so not sure if I can be of much help....I'm not too bad in reading Korean but in listening I'm pretty weak....but let me know if you need my help in any way....I know for sure I'd love to watch Dae Mang.

Guest o-cha

An interview from May 13,2007. I highly recommend reading this long article--definitely gives us more insight to Jang Hyuk.

news source: http://www.edaily.co.kr/news/newsRead.asp?...mp;curtype=read

[인터뷰-1] 장혁 "희망 찾는 기서에게서 내 모습을 발견"

thankyoupurple.jpg

[이데일리 김재범기자] "원래 술을 잘 못하는데다 어울리면 분위기에 휩쓸려 속도 조절도 잘 못해요. 종방연 때 주위에서 권하는 술 마다않고 받다 보니...한 30여잔 마셨을 거에요. 2차 장소에서 저 혼자 뻗었어요."

'완소 드라마'라는 애칭과 함께 10일 막을 내린 MBC 수목 미니시리즈 '고맙습니다'(연출 이재동, 극본 이경희). 이 드라마에서 기서역을 맡은 장혁과 인터뷰를 하는 데는 조금 시간이 필요했다.

드라마가 종영한 10일 밤, 장혁은 함께 현장에서 고생한 선후배 연기자, 제작 스태프들과 함께 조촐한 종방 파티를 가졌다. 전남 신안군 증도의 로케이션장과 경기 의정부 세트장을 오가며 누적된 피로, 긴장감, 여기에 좋은 마무리를 했다는 안도감이 겹치면서 장혁은 이 날 정말 많이 취했다. 그리고 그 후유증은 다음 날까지 이어졌다.

결국 전부터 약속했던 장혁과의 인터뷰는 드라마가 끝난 이틀 후인 12일, 그것도 전화로 어렵게 이루어졌다. 인터뷰 초반, 전화를 통해 들리는 그의 목소리는 종방연의 여운이 아직 다 가시지 않은듯 무거웠다. 하지만 ‘고맙습니다’에 출연을 결정하는 과정과 촬영 과정에서의 이야기를 하면서 곧 특유의 진지함과 여유를 되찾아 이야기에 열을 올렸다.

- 이제 ‘예비역’인데, 전처럼 매사 물불 가리지 않고 다니지 않아도 될텐데

▲나이를 먹어도 저는 항상 그런 열정을 지닌채 달리고 싶거든요. 왜 ‘철마는 달리고 싶다’는 그런 마인드 있잖아요. 그게 저의 삶의 지론이죠.

(장혁 인터뷰 주의사항 : 그와 처음 이야기를 해본 사람은 농담과 진담이 잘 구별되지 않는 ‘대책없는 진지함’에 당황하게 된다. 그는 자신이 관심을 갖는 주제거나, 생각을 강조하고 싶을 때 종종 독특한 비유를 끌어들여 열정적으로 이야기한다. 달변가라기 보다 열변가인 장혁의 화법에 적응하고 이를 이해하는 데는 따라서 조금 시간이 필요하다)

- 촬영장이 떨어져 있어 오가느라 힘들었을 것 같다. 그 피로에 더 취한 것 같은데...

▲촬영 장소가 끝과 끝이죠. 한 곳은 전남의 섬, 다른 곳은 의정부의 스튜디오. 하지만 차를 운전하는 매니저 동생들은 힘들어도 사실 저는 그 시간에 최소한 3~4시간 정도 쉬면서 방전된 ‘배터리 충전’이 가능하니 피로하다고 말하면 안되죠.

- 그래도 섬에서 드라마 찍는 게 서울에서 찍는 것과는 다를 것 같다.

▲다른 드라마의 경우 한 신 찍고 다음 장소로 이동할 때 그 곳에서 찍을 장면의 대사를 외우거나 감정을 조정하면 되요. 쉽고 편하죠. 조금씩 조금씩 하면 되니까... 하지만 이번 드라마는 섬에서 아침부터 저녁까지 있으니, 촬영 시작할 때 미리 대본을 머리에 다 집어넣고 한 호흡에 연기를 해야 해요. 그만큼 집중하고, 감정도 이어가야 하고...호흡이 긴 게 마치 연극이나 영화를 하는 기분이었어요.

- 많은 애착을 가졌던 드라마일텐데 이제 홀가분하고, 또 아쉽기도 하겠다.

▲열심히 했던 드라마였고 그래서 제 몸의 일부처럼 소중해요. 하지만 예비역 연기자 장혁의 ‘1부’가 끝났으니 털어내고 다른 ‘2부’를 준비해야죠.

◇처음 본 시놉시스서 영신 캐릭터 보고 확 끌려 결정

- 출연을 결정하게 된 것은 언제였는지.

▲처음 시놉시스를 본 것은 군대 말년 휴가를 나왔을 때였어요. 소속사에 들렸다가 친한 매니저형 책상에서 처음 봤죠. 그 때는 제목이 ‘고맙습니다’가 아니었고, ‘우리들이 있었다’였어요. 첫 페이지에 희망을 가진 사람들의 이야기라고 적혀 있던 게 기억나요.

-기서의 어떤 점이 연기하고 싶다는 욕심이 났는지.

▲사실 기서란 인물도 눈길을 끌었지만 그보다는 영신의 캐릭터에 반해 버렸죠. 에이즈에 감염된 아이, 치매 노인들과 살면서 꼿꼿함을 잃지 않는 모습, 그리고 그 사람의 정서와 생각이 마을의 뿌리를 이루는 것이 인상적이었어요.

- 드라마의 주제는 어땠는지.

▲영화 ‘8월의 크리스마스’가 생각났어요. 그 작품처럼 중병환자나 삶이 얼마 남지 않은 인생을 다루지만, 괜히 질척거리지 않고 기적을 기다리는 사람들의 모습이 좋았어요. 슬픔이 안에 배어있지만 일상에서 편하게 끌고가는 느낌이 오히려 생생하고 사실적으로 와닿았죠. 그래서 호감을 갖고 있었는데 제대 후 제의가 왔고 많이 생각하지 않고 결정했습니다.

- 오랜 공백 끝에 복귀작인데 밝고 화려한 캐릭터에 대해 욕심은 없었는지.

▲2년간 군에 복무하면서 처음 1년 간 TV도 거의 안보고 지냈어요. 그 후 1년 동안 후배 병사들과 많은 이야기를 나누었죠. 그런 생활이 사람을 감성적으로 만든 것 같아요. 저녁에 근무 끝나고 담배 한 대 피면서 내가 일하는 현장 바라보고, 밤하늘 보면서 살다보니 생각이 바뀌더군요. 캐릭터가 상업적으로 화려하진 않지만, 기서도 삶의 희망을 절실히 찾는 사람이고, 저도 현실에서 그런 바램을 갖고 있다는 공통점을 느꼈어요.

- 연예인에게 원치않는 공백기가 치명적일 수 있어 결과에 대한 부담감이 클텐데.

▲이 작품을 택한 후 나중 결과는 생각하지 않았어요. 그냥 연기를 다시 한다는 것 외에... 연기를 하면 ‘잘되야 한다’고 부담을 갖고 안될 때 스트레스를 느끼는 게 있고, 반대로 ‘다 털어버리고 요거 하나 잘해보자, 안되도 별 수 없지’라는 마인드로 연기만 신경쓰는 역할이 있는데 대체로 후자의 결과가 좋아요.

-그럼 복귀작의 시청률에 대한 부담도 없었다는 건지

▲시청률에 대한 부담을 느끼는 것은 중요하죠. 뭐, 이성적으로, 현실적으로 생각하면 시청률을 생각하는 게 배우에게도 필요해요. 하지만 섬에서 대부분을 지내는 저로서는 시청률의 흐름에 대해 알 수도 없었고, 또 영향을 미칠 방법도 없으니 오히려 마음 편했죠.

-드라마의 시청자 반응이 회가 거듭되며 시나브로 높아졌다

▲원래 누구에게 '고맙습니다'란 말을 하는 것도 갑자기 충동적인 기분에서 하는 게 아니라 서서히 상대에 대해 느끼면서 하는 것 아닌가요. 드라마에 대한 반응도 그래서 천천히 높아진 것 같습니다.

◇ "집요한 나에게 의사 연기 자문으로 시달린 친구, 정말 고맙습니다"

-‘고맙습니다’에서 기서를 연기하면서 가장 힘들었던 부분은

▲역시 의사라는 캐릭터가 주는 부담감이죠. 정말 이 역할 때문에 의학공부 많이 했습니다. 현재 병원에서 재활 부문 레지던트 4년차인 친구를 끌고 와서 공부했죠.

-의사역할이 힘들었다는 것은 복잡한 전문용어 때문인지

▲의학용어를 외우는 것은 친구에게 도움을 받을 필요가 없죠. 제가 그냥 외우면 되니까... 하지만 배우가 연기를 하면서 그 상황의 이유와 개연성을 알아야 리얼리티가 생기잖아요. 왜 이 증상에서 이런 진단이 나왔고, 그에 대해 그 치료과정이 필요한 이유가 무언지, 논리적인 설명과 과정을 알려달라고 매번 들들 볶았죠.

-그런 것은 그 때 그 때 대본이 나오면 전화로 물어볼 수도 있지 않은가

▲레지던트인 친구에게 제가 더 절실하게 매달린 것은 극중 상황에서 의사가 느끼는 솔직한 감정이었어요. 뭐, ‘의사니까 냉정해야 한다’는 이론적인 정서가 아닌, 기서가 접하는 다양한 상황에서 의사로서, 또 인간으로 느끼는 갈등과 생각에 대해 많이 토론했죠. 그저 흉내만 내지 않고 연기의 리얼리티를 제대로 보여주고 싶어 시도 때도 없이 붙잡고 늘어졌죠. 저 무척 집요하거든요.

-극중에서 진료하는 장면이 많이 나오는데 그것도 친구의 도움을 받은 것인지

▲다른 건 감독님이나 작가와 의논할 수 있는데 시술 장면은 저 혼자 풀어야 하잖아요. 큰 수술 장면이나 진료 신을 찍는다 싶으면 친구에게 상황 설명하고 어떤 감정이 드는지 자문을 받았습니다. 알아야 제대로 연기할 수 있으니까요. 결국 대본 외우는 것 보다 친구와 의논하는 시간이 더 걸렸죠. ‘손은 이렇게 하고, 메스는 이렇게 잡고, 클램프는 이렇게 처리해야 하고...’ 덕분에 이제 상처 봉합하는 것은 실제로 잘 할 수 있어요. 인터뷰 때 이런 말 해도 되는지 모르지만 순천향 병원 김태훈씨, 친구지만 정말 고맙습니다. 언제 기회가 되면 꼭 이름을 밝히고 고맙다는 제 마음을 표현하고 싶었어요.

(장혁은 “제 성격의 장점이자 단점인 집요함때문에 친구가 정말 고생했어요”라고 웃은 뒤, 친구 이름을 인터뷰 정리할 때 꼭 밝혀달라고 다시 한번 부탁했다. 그동안 여러 차례 그를 취재하면서 ‘집요함’(?)을 익히 경험했기 때문에 인터뷰의 원활한 진행을 위해 요청을 들어주겠다고 약속할 수 밖에 없었다.)

◇ 남들 부담 느낀 '장혁의 상대역', 선뜻 선택한 공효진

-전남 증도에 머물며 촬영하는 건 힘들지 않았는지

▲섬에서 드라마를 찍으면서 연기자란 직업을 택한 것이 즐겁고 좋았죠. 뭐랄까, ‘이게 바로 내 삶이구나’라는 편안함과 나른함들. 아침부터 저녁까지 촬영하고 끝난 뒤 숙소에서 샤워하고 다음 촬영 스케줄과 대본 보며 마음을 정리하는 기분이 너무 행복했어요. 아버지가 건설업으로 집을 자주 비워 어릴 때 가족이 함께 지내는 시간이 많은 회사원이나 선생님이 좋았는데, 저 역시 일로 현장에서 지내는 일이 많아졌네요(웃음).

- 그래도 환경이 바뀌고, 거기서 계속 머무른 것이 부담스러울 수도 있을텐데

▲섬에 내려가서 숙소 잡아놓고 지내다 보니 자연스레 현지 주민화됐죠. 마치 해 뜨면 일하러 나갔다가 저물면 집으로 돌아가듯이 규칙적이었습니다. 계속 머물러 있어야 하는데 조바심 날 것도 없고 짜증날 일도 없어요. 정말 드라마 촬영에서는 드물게 이 작품에서는 세 끼를 제 때 꼬박꼬박 먹으며 차분하게 연기했어요.

-드라마 연출자인 이재동 감독은 기서에 대해 어떤 주문을 했는가

▲특별히 구체적으로 미리 주문한 것은 없었어요. 그냥 촬영 전에 리허설하고 느낌에 대해 이야기한 뒤 슛에 들어갔어요. 감독님과 서로 교감한 것은 영화 ‘사랑방 손님과 어머니’의 느낌이었죠. 가까이 다가가고 싶지만 현실 때문에 그러진 못하고, 마음만 가 있는 그런 느낌. 하지만 대부분 촬영현장보다 그 전의 술자리에서 이야기를 했어요.

-상대인물인 영신역의 공효진과는 호흡이 잘 맞았는지

▲제작사로부터 시놉시스를 받은 여러 여배우들이 미혼모라는 캐릭터에 부담을 느껴 고사를 했어요. 이제야 말하지만 긴 공백 끝에 군에서 제대한 장혁이 극중 상대역이라는 점도 어느 정도 작용한 것 같아요. 실제로 그런 이야기를 들었고, 사실 현실적으론 그런 선택을 하는 게 맞으니까...(웃음). 하지만 (공)효진은 캐릭터에 대해 매력을 느꼈어요. 또 극본을 쓴 이경희 작가와 ‘상두야 학교가자’ 등에서 호습을 맞춘 경험도 있어 유리했죠. 함께 여기까지 오면서 여러 번 ‘이 사람이 이 역할을 하게 돼서 이런 느낌을 줄 수 있구나’라는 생각을 많이 했습니다.

-성인 연기자 못지않게 봄이역을 맡은 서신애의 활약과 인기가 대단했다

▲서신애는 정말 대단한 아이에요. 아니, 뛰어난 연기자입니다. 원래 아역들은 감성이 굉장히 좋거든요. 우리는 현실을 알면서 연기에 필요한 상상력을 잃어가는데, 아이들은 상상력이 좋아 금방 표현하고 느끼죠. 대신 촬영에 대한 논리적 이해가 떨어져 리액션 연기 같은 것이 잘 안되요. 그런데 신애는 그 리액션도 돼요. 혼자 카메라 앞에 선 신애에게 ‘혁이 오빠나 효진 언니가 앞에 있다고 생각하고 연기해’라고 하면 금방 울먹거리거나 화를 내며 빠져든다니까요.

◇ 다시 돌아온 일상, 당분간 영어공부와 절권도에 전념할 계획

-드라마에서 기서의 모습을 보고 주위에서는 뭐라고 했는가

▲성숙해졌다는 말을 많이 들었어요. 연기의 발전성에 대한 이야기여서 기분 좋았어요. 연기를 잘한다, 못한다는 것이 아니라 새로운 것을 할 수 있고, 그것을 인정해주는 것이거든요. 20대 초반에 했던 연기를 지금 하라고 하면 그 때의 느낌을 도저히 따라갈 수 없어요. 이제 30대가 돼서(장혁은 1976년생이다) 스무살과는 다른 시선과 느낌으로 연기를 하게 된 것이 고마울 뿐이죠

- 그럼 군대를 가게 된 과정과 그곳에서의 경험이 그런 변화를 이끌어 냈는지

▲결국 제가 겪은 경험들이 연기 속의 느낌에 작용을 하죠. 다른 사람들은 대부분 20대를 사회에서 정리하지만 저는 군대에서 서른이란 나이를 맞았어요. 과거에 대한 부분들, 아픔에 대한 기억을 정리하고 갈무리했죠. 전우들과 대화를 하면서도 많은 걸 느꼈고...,무엇보다 시간의 소중함을 절실히 느꼈습니다. 병영생활이 정해진 일과표대로 진행되는데 지금 내게 주어진 시간 하나 하나가 얼마나 귀한지 그때 알았죠.

- 드라마가 끝났는데 이제 앞으로 무얼 할 생각인지

▲아직 다음 작품을 정하지 않았어요. 여러 시나리오나 대본을 받아봤지만 결정을 내리진 못했죠. 다음 작품에 들어갈 때까지는 예전의 일상으로 돌아갈 생각이에요. 영어공부도 하고 절권도도 다시 배우고...

-절권도라면 이소룡이 했던 무술 아닌가. 언제부터 배웠는가.

▲군대 가기 전부터 배웠으니 아마 한 6년 정도 됐나. 한국에 도장이 하나 밖에 없어 거기서 배우고 있습니다. 절권도는 단이 없고 일정 수준이 되면 남을 가르칠 수 있는 교련 자격을 주는데, 물론 저도 교련입니다.

-왜 절권도를 배우게 됐는지

▲전부터 한국 배우가 세계 무대에서 다른 아시아 배우들과 경쟁하려면 영어와 무술이 필요하다고 생각했죠. 그래서 시작했는데 이제는 저 자신의 수양을 위해 해요. 마치 차 한 잔을 마시는 듯한 편안함이 있어서... 다른 사람과 그 느낌을 공유하는 것도 좋고, 연기와 함께 절권도는 아마 평생을 함께 할 것 같네요.

translation: hope @acejanghyuk.com

An interview with Jang Hyuk: "Finding my own image in Kiseo who is looking for hope"

From Daily News 2007.05.13

This translation is purely for hyuk fans. Please do not put it into commercial use. Any correction for the mis-translation is welcome.

"I could not drink much. When the drama ended (at the concluding party), many people asked me for a toast. I drank about 30 glasses of liquor. When we went to a second place for drinking, I got drunk."

The venues for shooting are far away. Moving from places was tiring. You seemed to be more drunk because of the wear and tear?

The venues are far away but it was the managers, who are younger than me, that were actually doing the driving. In fact, I can take a rest during the 3-4 hours on road. The 'consumed battery' would be re-charged. I cannot say I was tired.

When shooting other dramas, I could use the transportation time to memorize the script lines or readjust my sentiments after we finished a segment and were moving toward the next location. It was easy. Shooting one part of the whole drama at a time. But this time we were on an island everyday from morning till night. You need to thoroughly memorize the whole script in advance. The acting needs to be continued without any break. Your emotion needs to be consistent.

I worked very hard for this drama. Therefore, it is cherished a lot, like a part of my body. But the first drama for the prelimilary actor Jang Hyuk is over. Now is the time to put it aside and prepare for the next job.

When did you decide to act in this drama?

I saw the script for the first time when I was on leave in the last year of my military service. It was on the desk of an elder manager, who is a very good friend of mine. At that time, it was not yet titled 'Thank you'. It was called 'Having Us' I remember it was written on the front page: 'A story about people with hopes'

Have you thought about what part of Kiseo you want to display?

In fact, although I'm attracted by the character Kiseo, I'm more fascinated by the role Youngshin. Living together with a child infected by AIDS and an elderly grandfather suffering from dementia, she maintained her

straightforwardness. Her emotions and thoughts became the root of the village. I'm much impressed by this character. (minor changes to the translation...thanks to .♡. for helping out)

What is the theme of this drama?

It reminds me of the movie "Christmas in August". They are similar. This drama deals with the topic of the short remaining life of a seriously-sick patient. But there is no meaningless drag-on of the drama. People in the drama liked their lives waiting for a miracle. Even though in sorrow, the feeling of a steady move toward the future is more like a real life. So I felt good about it and after finishing my military service, I did not think much before I decided to act in the drama.

This is your first work after a long time away from the screen. Have you ever considered to act a brighter or more gorgeous role?

During my two years in the army, I hardly watched any TV in the first year. For the second year, I often chat with younger soldiers. That kind of life seems to be able to make a person sentimental. At night after I finished my duties, I would smoke a cigarette and watch the night sky. I was living like that and my mind changed. From the business point of view, Kiseo is not a gorgeous role. But he is a person eagerly looking for hopes for him to continue living. I believe there are common grounds between him and me. I also keep the same kind of hopes in my personal life.

For an actor, this may be a fatal period of blank. I did not think of the outcome when I chose to act in this drama. I just took it as another acting job. If one burdens himself with the idea that this

"should be very good" when acting, he would feel much pressure if the outcome is not so good. On the contrary, if one tells himself: "clear every thing out and start from zero. There is nothing good

or bad". If you act under such mentality and put all your efforts in the character you are playing, the result is usually much better.

Then you are not worried about the rating of your new drama?

A concern for the rating is important. From the realistic aspect in contrast to the idealistic aspect, actors must put this concern in their mind. But I was mostly on an island during the shooting.

There is no way for me to know the ratings. I felt easy. And the audience was increasingly enthusiastic.

"Thank you" is not a phrase that you will speak out all of a sudden. Don't we all feel we want to say it gradually? Reactions to the drama appeared to have been warming up gradually.

What is the hardest part for playing Kiseo?

Of course, it is the burden that I felt for the doctor's part. I really read a lot of medical books for this character. My friend who works as a doctor in a hospital was brought to study with me.

Is it because of the complicated medical terms that made acting as a doctor difficult?

I don't need my friend's help for the medical terms. I can memorize them by myself. But an actor needs to know all the causes and possibilities for a certain medical condition. Why is there such a

diagnosis for such symptoms? What are the considerations behind a certain treatment? I kept bothering him and asked him to explain to me the theories and the processes.

One can check these details by making phone calls, right?

I paid more attention to the true feelings of a doctor under the circumstances occurred in the drama. Not the supposed emotion that 'one should remain calm because he is a doctor' but the real

complicated feelings and thinking of Kiseo when he faced various conditions both as a doctor and as an individual. The two of us discussed a lot about this. Not just to imitate, I want to play out the real condition. I insisted on this.

There are many hospital scenes; did your friend also assist you?

For other parts I could discuss with the director and the script writer, but the operation scenes I had to rely on myself. For example, for major operations or taking care of patients, my friend

would explain the situation and tell me what kind of emotion was necessary. One has to understand before he can do proper acting. As a result, compared to script memorizing, I spent more time

discussing with my friend. "You hands must be like this. You hold an operation knife this way. Clamp needs to be handled like this." Thanks to him, I can do wound stitching very well now. I'm not sure if I can say his name: Doctor Kim at the ?? Hospital. Even though he is my friend, still I want to thank him. I want to speak out his name whenever I have the chance in order to show my appreciation.

(Jang Hyuk said, "Persistence is my strength and weakness. It is really hard to be my friend." Then with a smile he requested a favor that I write out his friend's name. Having interviewed him

for many times, I know his persistence, so I had to say yes in order to conduct this interview smoothly.)

Is it hard shooting on an island?

For an actor, shooting on an island is delighting and enjoyable. How to say it? You will have a sense of comfort and relaxation: "This is my life" We worked from morning till night. Then you took a bath at the dormitory, read the schedule and the script for the next day's shooting, and readjusted your mood accordingly. It is really happy experience. My dad is in the construction business. There is not much time for the whole family to get together. So I envy this kind of family life. ?¡H?

But I might not feel good if I continue to live on the island. Living like this in the dormitory, I seemed to have become a local resident. Waking up as the sun rose and going to rest as the sun set, life there was very regular. I should have stayed there. I didn't feel restless at all. We had meals at regular times when shooting exactly like what happened in the drama.

Did the director make any specific demands on Kiseo?

There was no need to do any special preparations in advance. We rehearsed beforehand and talked about what kind of feeling we wanted to express. The common agreement between the director and me was the feeling in the Korean movie ¡§the guest of the room of love and mom (?).¡¨ They wanted to be close to each other. But they couldn't in the real life. They could only feel the closeness of their hearts. We talked a lot before the actual shooting when having a drink together.

Did you have good mutual understanding with the leading actress Kong Hyo Jin ?

Many actresses got the script from the production company. When they saw the unwed mother character, they did not want to take the role. Now I can reveal that, in fact, I heard people say the fact that the actress would need to act with Jang Hyuk, who just ended his military life and a long absence from the entertainment business, also seemed to have affected their interest in this drama. Actually that is a right choice. (laugh) But I believe the role playes Hyo Jin is very charming. And she had very good experience working with script writer Lee Kyeong Hee in the drama "Sangdu, Let's Go to School." This is a favorable factor. I felt many times that "this person knows how to act this role with the right feeling."

Seo Sin Ae who played "Spring" was very popular.

She is really a remarkable child. No, she is an excellent actress. Children are sentimental by nature. We are aware of the reality so we have lost our imagination that is required for acting. It shows and one can sense right away that kids have better imagination. However, they are not so good at understanding principles of acting. They may not be able to act the right reactions needed in drama. But Sin Ae could do it. Ask her to "imagine Hyuk oppa or Jin sister was in front of her and act," she could cry or show anger in no time.

What comments you have heard when people saw Kiseo in the drama?

I often heard people say I had become mature. They meant the development of my acting. Therefore, I feel happy. It's not because they say I have acted well or not well. It means recognition that I can do new things. If you ask me to act in the same dramas that I did in my early 20s, I will never follow the feelings I had at that time. Now I'm 30. I'm grateful that I can act from a perspective different from when I was 20.

Are these changes because of your military experience?

My experience in the military ultimately affected my acting. Most of other people start working in society in their 20s. I started military service not until around 30. I sorted out my past and painful memories. I came to understand lots of things by talking to my fellow soldiers. I realize that nothing is more important than time. You live each day according to a regulated schedule in the army. I did not realize how precious time is until that time.

What do you want to do after this drama?

My next work has not been decided yet. I have read a few scripts but no decision is made. Before I start the next job, I want to return to my previous daily life. Study English and Jae Kwan Do.

Isn't Jae Kwan Do the martial art by Bruce Lee? When did you start learning it?

I started before I enter the army. About six years now. There is only one place in Korea for this. I'm learning at that venue. There is not a 'duan' system (like Tae Kwan Do) for it. When you reach a certain level, you will become qualified to be a coach. Of course, I'm a coach now.

Why do you want to learn it?

I always believe that Korean actors must be good at English and martial arts if they want to compete with other Asian actors on the global stage. So I started learning. But now I'm practicing it for self-cultivation. It makes you feel good just like a cup of tea. I also enjoy the community spirit while practicing with others. Both Jae Kwan Do and acting are the things that I will do for the rest of

my life.

Guest Wynter

Thanks o-cha for sharing this with everyone. I saw this over at acejanghyuk as well. It is a very good interview which gives a lot of insights into how Jang Hyuk feels and lets us understand him more. :)

Guest lovegoodfood

Have you thought about what part of Kiseo you want to display?

In fact, although I'm attracted by the character Kiseo, I'm more fascinated by the role Youngshin. Living together with a child infected by AIDS and an idiotic old man, she maintained her straightforwardness. Her emotions and thoughts became the root of the village. I'm much impressed by this character.

Er....i think for Jang Hyuk to call Mr Lee's character an idiotic old man....is not very polite....... .he is senile and is suffering from Alzheimer's disease..........other than that, the interview is good...v humble and nice to know some insight feelings of Jang Hyuk.......

Guest Wynter

Er....i think for Jang Hyuk to call Mr Lee's character an idiotic old man....is not very polite....... .he is senile and is suffering from Alzheimer's disease..........other than that, the interview is good...v humble and nice to know some insight feelings of Jang Hyuk.......

Hmm, I don't know if JH actually called Mr Lee's character "idiotic". Babelfish translates "치매" as "dementia", so I think the meaning of his sentence got lost in translation somwhere. :sweatingbullets: I don't think JH will actually be disrespectful to an old person. Besides, respect to your elders is deeply ingrained in Korean culture. ^_^

o-cha, thank you so much for posting that interview. It was really good to read it.

I was a bit sad, somehow that he considered himself as a con in deciding to do a drama. Like when he said all the stuff about actresses turning down the Young Shin role because they would have to act with him. LOL, I guess he has a right to think so, but it's a little bit depressing for me. I really like JH for being so mature and thoughtful about what he does, how he does it, he seems to be so thorough in learning about medical jargon and adjusting the sentiments for acting. It really shows how he's serious about this. That this is not just 'to make money'. I'm really becoming more and more in love with the guy.

Guest betchay

thank O-CHA for sharing JANG HYUK interviews. he's so good, all questions were all well-answered. love him! :wub: