@Biology Lesson Yes, But LYO and Beautiful Mind don’t need a “second chance”. Despite results I have the feeling Jang Hyuk is satisfied with that performance

This new drama’s premise feels a lot like Voice, even if the character is completely different (hopefully) it’s still a guy who lost his love to a serial killer and who will join forces with a detective with “superpowers” to find him. I don’t know but I “suppose” JH realized how meh MJH was and probably might want to give it a second chance. It’s also the same genre, same channel and almost same PD 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

13 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Think about Dragon club and the way the women that visited their tent reacted to JH. I don't think that any of us will say he looked his best there. And still, these women, that were surrounded with the other members of the dragon club that are also celebrities, couldn't help but stare at JH. Both the older and younger women.

I'm actually fine with his look at DB. :lol: Like it when he's doing exercise especially. At least the hair is alright for me. Urban Cop hair was a disaster! 

He did that with Midas --> MF, Robbers (I think)--> FTLY and Empire of Lust--> MC .  This is why I'm kinda hoping it will be BM corrected in this new project. Young Oh was also a genius after all, though I don't think there is anything to correct with him, except for his hair :) 

I don't know why he's so critical of himself. I didn't find any thing wrong with his acting but alot of things wrong with the writings always. But because he's so critical of himself, we get the super actor today.

I think this new drama will be (more) the correction of Voice if there is any thing to correct. It isn't my genre so I won't like the drama specifically but I'm fine with Voice if watching it the 1st time. Only thing I get irritated with the fringe.

And now, after this recent interview, I think we can also expect a similar character to the one in Daemong... BTW, didn't most the fans that mentioned this show say they liked it? I wonder why JH regrets it so much...

Any one knows where can I find this drama now? I didn't manage to find this drama.

8 hours ago, qynn said:

The mushroom/bowl cut is not my favorite hairstyle, but it must be a popular one. I've seen it on quite a few actors. 

Yes I think it is their fashion. I also noticed quite many young actors have mushroom cut. A lot of fringe infront.

8 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

I agree he looks very good now - matured, sexy, experienced, etc. I said this many times, he ages like fine wine. However, his look in his early 30s and during his wedding was also great. I supposed he looks good at each age group, if you know what I mean.

He definitely is like fine wine. Looks more handsome, manly, sexier as he aged. Husbandhood + fatherhood plays a part (hahaha)! 

8 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

The gym JH frequents is quite interesting. You see children exercising there as well! Seemed like a place suitable for all ages. And he is oblivious to others and just carries on his routine.

If I live in SK I will go there too to exercise and to drool at the same time. :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

YES! I almost could forsee Jang Hyuk would make this observation about the young actors! I mean, Im sure he is being polite but also sincere. He knows how difficult it was for him on set during those days, he most likely made lots of mistakes and got nervous (watching some of SSBG bts will try anyone’s patience lol) I can only imagine how demanding Daemang was being a sageuk. I LOVED Jaeyoung, and I loved his performance because it was natural and sincere but of course I’m the audience, I only see the results, who knows how many takes it took them to get the scenes right? (for example)  These MC leads are about the same age he was then (or younger), but I think are more “prepared” (still I was a bit unimpressed by YSJ as Hwi, if Im totally honest but I think it was the role that didn’t quite totally work for me. I was positively impressed by WDH) And so yeah, I can see what JH is saying. 

Perhaps his rough start also played a part. He had 100+ auditions. He got scolded by his sunbaenims. So to a certain extent, he "unknowingly" became critical of himself and telling himself not to be easily "satisfied" with his performance. He got to keep improving and keep learning. It turned out good for us audience.

5 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

About second chances, all of his second chances have worked for me, except Gaekju was a second chance for SoGC in a way. He literally said he wanted to do another sageuk with enough episodes to develop the character, since he felt regretful about SoGC lack of character development. Unfortunately Gaekju was worse to me, which goes to show that length has nothing to do with it. You can tell a rich complex story with amazing characters in two hours (as in movies) it just needs good writing and directing. 

I also rather watch SOGC compared to Gaekju. I find Gaekju storyline boring. But I did like his interaction with the 2nd female lead. I don't like the lead actress face. You know, nothing against her but sometimes one just cannot agree with a certain face. The female lead in WOL is also not my liking.

4 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I hope JH's new character is nothing like the character from Voice. That guy was no genius, and I really don't want to see him again... That's why I was thinking more about Lee Young Oh from Beautiful mind. Him I'd like to see more of... :) 

Hahaha! Hey, some of us here are ok with Voice. :lol:Although I would want to see LYO again. BM was so disappointing as in I hate the ending because of the 2 episodes cut.

4 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Looks like it’s time I start watching BM! Haha. I felt it was more like a 2nd Chance to Voice, because of the genre. But could be wrong. I just hope the character is way different from Voice, and hope that the new director knows what he is doing... and don’t replicate what he directed in Voice, but use a slightly diff directing style....

We can only hope the directing style is different from Voice but we can only hope. If it's the same director, usually his style is already fixed. Maybe in his mind, running around and shouting is the "way to go" for such a drama thus his way of directing remains the same.

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

This new drama’s premise feels a lot like Voice, even if the character is completely different (hopefully) it’s still a guy who lost his love to a serial killer and who will join forces with a detective with “superpowers” to find him. I don’t know but I “suppose” JH realized how meh MJH was and probably might want to give it a second chance. It’s also the same genre, same channel and almost same PD 

The writing feels the same. He lost his wife in Voice. He lose his girlfriend in new drama. Both drama looks for the killer. But let's trust JH that he will show a different style of acting not repeating of Voice.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, budgerie said:

We can only hope the directing style is different from Voice but we can only hope. If it's the same director, usually his style is already fixed. Maybe in his mind, running around and shouting is the "way to go" for such a drama thus his way of directing remains the same.

I don’t think it’s the director’s fault that MJH was running around most of the time. The scriptwriter wrote the character as a ‘Mad Dog’, so he has to appear mad and run around to get the job done. If he’s written as a genius in the new drama, I am sure he will be portrayed differently. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Yes, But LYO and Beautiful Mind don’t need a “second chance”. Despite results I have the feeling Jang Hyuk is satisfied with that performance

Remember that JH doesn't dismiss ratings. If they are low, it's a failure. This is why I think (and hope) he will give LYO a second chance. Trying to change enough to get higher ratings. Maybe even just the hair :) 

I really hope we will see nothing of Voice here, even if the premise sounds similar. The way I see it, MJH wasn't even a character. I can't even speak of a personality there. Just a guy running around, being unreasonable most times, and intermittently, when the plot allowed, being clever enough to catch killers, but not too clever, so that the idiotic premise of the show with the female leads "super" hearing could be put to a an idiotic use... Also, what I like the least in these type of shows is the lack of romantic involvement. It makes everything very bland. Like all these men and women interacting in these shows are from Star Trek. They are so "advanced" they no longer have a sexual drive. Well, except for the bad guys... Yeah, I didn't like Voice at all...

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

7 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Also, what I like the least in these type of shows is the lack of romantic involvement. It makes everything very bland. Like all these men and women interacting in these shows are from Star Trek. They are so "advanced" they no longer have a sexual drive. Well, except for the bad guys... Yeah, I didn't like Voice at all...

Let's hope this is not a repeat of Voice. Trust JH to create a non similar acting to Voice.

As for the lack of romance, I think k drama is like this. If the genre is not a romance like FTLY, you don't get to see romance. Even in MF, if you look at Boo Choon and NMH, they are not lovey dovey like a newly wed. You don't feel the lovey dovey. In BM, LYO and LMJ were engaged but when they are together, also don't get to see much lovey dovey. Bad Papa even worse. Husband + Wife also no lovey dovey. So I think this drama also no lovey dovey....:tears:

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Remember that JH doesn't dismiss ratings. If they are low, it's a failure. This is why I think (and hope) he will give LYO a second chance. Trying to change enough to get higher ratings. Maybe even just the hair :) 

I really hope we will see nothing of Voice here, even if the premise sounds similar. The way I see it, MJH wasn't even a character. I can't even speak of a personality there. Just a guy running around, being unreasonable most times, and intermittently, when the plot allowed, being clever enough to catch killers, but not too clever, so that the idiotic premise of the show with the female leads "super" hearing could be put to a an idiotic use... Also, what I like the least in these type of shows is the lack of romantic involvement. It makes everything very bland. Like all these men and women interacting in these shows are from Star Trek. They are so "advanced" they no longer have a sexual drive. Well, except for the bad guys... Yeah, I didn't like Voice at all...

Yeah last time in Guerilla Date, JH did mention he would choose high ratings over acting awards/accolades. Not sure if he was joking but at least we know he does care for ratings. So perhaps Voice wasn’t so bad to him because it broke OCN’s record and became a hit. 

I don’t think we will ever know the real reason he chose Tell Me What You Saw until we hear his interview post the drama, just like MC. All we can do now is speculate, and also hope the role is a well-written one, and the show is suspenseful enough to draw in lots of viewers week in week out. SK likes these genre shows, although I personally am not a big fan. To me, Signal was abit boring but it was narratively touching for a crime show, so I get the hype. 

Whether there is romance, I also think unlikely but who knows, maybe we will be surprised haha. But I think we can always trust JH to bring something new to the table, especially now when he’s so much more mature. His past few works while not necessarily hits, the acting has always been very thoughtful and immensely powerful, and this is a new side he is bringing to the table, so I don’t think we have much to worry (unless the character is poorly written right off the bat like Voice). 

Even if it turns out to be a bad outing, let’s not be overly disappointed for we know that no one is perfect and JH does not have full control over everything. 

I noticed that even though he is critical of his own acting, he doesn’t dwell on things and become unhappy. He is critical just because he has high standards, BUT he uses it as a positive motivation! He doesn’t seem to be the type to spiral down into sadness just because a show doesn’t do well, because he moves on super quickly. I think as fans who care about him, sometimes we feel sad/bad for him but actually he’s not sad haha. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

I don’t think it’s the director’s fault that MJH was running around most of the time. The scriptwriter wrote the character as a ‘Mad Dog’, so he has to appear mad and run around to get the job done. If he’s written as a genius in the new drama, I am sure he will be portrayed differently. 

I agree it was the writer’s fault but I don’t think he was even “written”. Those unnecessary running around scenes felt a lot like filler most of the time. As if the writer forgot MJH existed. Especially towards the end of the drama. The guy would leave his son’s side to literally run and run after some dude that really contributed nothing to the larger case. So many missed opportunities for character development with the son, with Kang center, etc But I don’t blame the PD for those. It was definitely the writing. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Let's hope this is not a repeat of Voice. Trust JH to create a non similar acting to Voice.

As for the lack of romance, I think k drama is like this. If the genre is not a romance like FTLY, you don't get to see romance. Even in MF, if you look at Boo Choon and NMH, they are not lovey dovey like a newly wed. You don't feel the lovey dovey. In BM, LYO and LMJ were engaged but when they are together, also don't get to see much lovey dovey. Bad Papa even worse. Husband + Wife also no lovey dovey. So I think this drama also no lovey dovey....:tears:

I’m watching Mr Sunshine, not a rom com at all, the romance is amazing. I wish JH could do something like that. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

Lol! I share your feelings about Voice! 

Hmmm for his new drama, Ok, Im already thinking about it haha (I was too Bangwitched to care before) I somehow don’t see the connection to LYO because he had an anti-social disorder and he already did that almost to perfection I feel? (Could be wrong) This guy will be eccentric but I wouldn’t want him to be “antisocial”. I just want him to be a hot nerd with OCD or something lolol (the lead in Stranger aka Secret Forest, wasn’t he an antisocial profiler? I feel that genre especially in korean dramas is plagued with those type of characters) 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I’m watching Mr Sunshine, not a rom com at all, the romance is amazing. I wish JH could do something like that. 

Yes, I watched it but I didn't finish the whole drama. Their love is so difficult and sad. I don't want to cry buckets. But the leads chemistry is superb. Maybe I can hope that JH can team up with this girl? Actually I am hoping he can team up with Kim Ming Jung to do a romance genre. Not like FTLY that kind of character but a genre with some romance. In Tasty Road, both of them seemed to be very comfortable with each other and I think if they act together in a modern drama, the chemistry should be good too.

13 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

LYO because he had an anti-social disorder

I hope he will do another character like LYO but not doctor genre. Doctor genre doesn't seem to be accepted well with K fans.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Whether there is romance, I also think unlikely but who knows, maybe we will be surprised haha. But I think we can always trust JH to bring something new to the table, especially now when he’s so much more mature. His past few works while not necessarily hits, the acting has always been very thoughtful and immensely powerful, and this is a new side he is bringing to the table, so I don’t think we have much to worry (unless the character is poorly written right off the bat like Voice). 

Even if it turns out to be a bad outing, let’s not be overly disappointed for we know that no one is perfect and JH does not have full control over everything. 

I noticed that even though he is critical of his own acting, he doesn’t dwell on things and become unhappy. He is critical just because he has high standards, BUT he uses it as a positive motivation! He doesn’t seem to be the type to spiral down into sadness just because a show doesn’t do well, because he moves on super quickly. I think as fans who care about him, sometimes we feel sad/bad for him but actually he’s not sad haha. 

My thinking is, there will be no romance. Maybe 1 or 2 of the women fall for him but he isn't falling for any one. He'll spend the whole drama looking for his girlfriend killer :tears: Maybe after he found the killer than he start to pay attention to 1 of the girls or 1 of the girls helped him to find the killer and he falls for her. :D

If the drama turns out bad, it'll never be JH acting that is bad. It'll be the writing, the directing, the everything else but not him. We know he puts his 100% in to his work. Hahaha, yes, I'm biased. Nothing bad about JH.

Actually most of the time it is the fans that is affected. He already erased his character when the drama is done but we are hanging onto it and getting upset, getting sad, getting whatever. Hahaha!

• Like 4

Another interview. A bit longer. Again the translation I'm getting is horrible, but I think I can understand that he was asked about the fan he used for the last scene, and JH answers "I just brought one with me (laughs)". Does this means that the idea of Bang Won constant use of fans was JH's idea, or is he talking specifically about the fan with the bamboo and moon at the end? I wouldn't be surprised if the whole fan thing was JH's idea, like Lee Gun's laugh. I think I understood from the interview that that drawing was his request and that it was his idea to burn it at the end.

Also, I think he was asked about his new character, and this is the translation I get "Kim Hong-sun, who directed 'Voice 1', gave a suggestion. Looking at the script, the process of solving the case was fine and the character was fun. This is a character in the opposition point with Bang Bang. The animal is like a hawk if the gentile feels like a tiger." (I think "gentile" is obviously a wrong translation. I think should actually be translated into "king" or "prince")

So this new character is like a hawk? Interesting...

Can anyone make sense of this interview? 

https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=052&aid=0001371595

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

42 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I also want a great romantic story, and it doesn't have to be a rom com, though I wouldn't object to a good one... What I don't want is the typical rom com, with the ditzy but lovable young woman as the love interest. I don't know why, but usually the female characters act like little girls, and this is something I don't want. Like you, I want a mature love story, that has some heat to it.

I recently saw a movie with Tom Hardy called "Child 44" that is a mystery with a very interesting love story in it. It's about a married couple, in which the woman initially marries the man out of fear of him, and he spends half the movie trying to be worthy of her love. I remember watching that movie, and as good as Tom Hardy is, I thought that he acting wasn't subtle enough for this role. And of course my immediate thought was "JH could do this better!" :)

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Again the translation I'm getting is horrible

"I just brought one with me (laughs)".

If the translation is correct as in "he just brought one with him", I guess he must have searched high and low at home for fan. Lol. :joy:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I also want a great romantic story, and it doesn't have to be a rom com, though I wouldn't object to a good one... What I don't want is the typical rom com, with the ditzy but lovable young woman as the love interest. I don't know why, but usually the female characters act like little girls, and this is something I don't want. Like you, I want a mature love story, that has some heat to it.

I recently saw a movie with Tom Hardy called "Child 44" that is a mystery with a very interesting love story in it. It's about a married couple, in which the woman initially marries the man out of fear of him, and he spends half the movie trying to be worthy of her love. I remember watching that movie, and as good as Tom Hardy is, I thought that he acting wasn't subtle enough for this role. And of course my immediate thought was "JH could do this better!" :)

I agree with you. Like for example, Thai romance story, is always the guy is taking revenge by marrying the girl and treats her very rough. They have the habit of forced kiss and pulling girls roughtly. But he'll fall for her later on. The genre is always like this. 

I also dislike drama where the girl acts a damsel in distress waiting for the hero to come to her rescue. She has no character, she has no mind of her own, she is a goody goody girl. Dead bored with this type of drama. Hahaha! We're hoping JH can do many more genre instead of detective genre. I'm still waiting for him to be an emperor or be a flying top pugilist.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Where did you see it saying that it will be aired on Netflix??? If it’s true I’d be so happy! Because the picture quality is still top notch. And will it be aired within 24 hrs?? As long as they don’t repeat the MC snafu where it got stuck halfway :rolleyes:

K-Dramas Coming to Netflix in 2020

Say What You Saw
Episodes: 16
South Korea Broadcast Date: 2020 | Broadcaster: OCN

Netflix Release Date: 2020 | Run Time: 60 Minutes

Cast: Jang Hyuk, Choi Soo Young, Jin Seo Yun

Directed by Lee Joon Hyeong, Say What You Saw is an exciting new crime thriller coming in 2020.

Former top criminal profiler Oh Hyun Jae nows lives his life in seclusion after an explosion, caused by a serial killer, ended his fiancée’s life. Meanwhile, Cha Soo Young, a young police officer with an eidetic memory is partnered with Oh Hyun Jae informally.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/k-dramas-coming-to-netflix-in-2020/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Another interview. A bit longer. Again the translation I'm getting is horrible, but I think I can understand that he was asked about the fan he used for the last scene, and JH answers "I just brought one with me (laughs)". Does this means that the idea of Bang Won constant use of fans was JH's idea, or is he talking specifically about the fan with the bamboo and moon at the end? I wouldn't be surprised if the whole fan thing was JH's idea, like Lee Gun's laugh. I think I understood from the interview that that drawing was his request and that it was his idea to burn it at the end.

Also, I think he was asked about his new character, and this is the translation I get "Kim Hong-sun, who directed 'Voice 1', gave a suggestion. Looking at the script, the process of solving the case was fine and the character was fun. This is a character in the opposition point with Bang Bang. The animal is like a hawk if the gentile feels like a tiger." (I think "gentile" is obviously a wrong translation. I think should actually be translated into "king" or "prince")

I will try to later and for the benefit of others too but if someone has Korean friends or good translation sources and can do ahead of me please do! Haha. 

this looks like a comprehensive interview with direct answers and not interpreted answers. Perfect. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

The word 'gentile' is often a bad-translated version of 'Lee Bang-won'. The portion u are referring to should as :

Q You will be playing the role of genius profiler Oh Hyun-jae in the next movie. I wonder what kind of character it will be?

A : Director Kim Hong-sun, who directed "Voice 1," gave me an offer. Looking at the script, the process of solving the case was good and the character was fun. This is a character that is  opposite from Lee Bang-won. In comparison to animals, if Lee Bang-won feels like a tiger, Oh Hyun-jae is like a hawk. He is one who sets a goal,  goes round and round waiting, and catches the person when the chance comes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

The word 'gentile' is often a bad-translated version of 'Lee Bang-won'. The portion u are referring to should as :

Q You will be playing the role of genius profiler Oh Hyun-jae in the next movie. I wonder what kind of character it will be?

A : Director Kim Hong-sun, who directed "Voice 1," gave me an offer. Looking at the script, the process of solving the case was good and the character was fun. This is a character that is  opposite from Lee Bang-won. In comparison to animals, if Lee Bang-won feels like a tiger, Oh Hyun-jae is like a hawk. He is one who sets a goal,  goes round and round waiting, and catches the person when the chance comes.

Thank you for the translation! Now it makes more sense! 

"...Oh Hyun-jae is like a hawk. He is one who sets a goal,  goes round and round waiting, and catches the person when the chance comes" This sounds interesting... This sounds like the character is well defined. A patient character. Already sounds different than Voice. Think the things that JH is stressing are good about the new show, is like him saying "unlike Voice..." ? :) 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1