40 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

And he is an old movies fan too, I had to google this too to understand what he was talking about: 

The Graduate is a 1967 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by Mike Nichols[4] and written by Buck Henry and Calder Willingham,[5] based on the 1963 novel of the same name by Charles Webb.

You can read the plot to read about the ending which he was talking about :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Graduate

Haha we were thinking about the same thing! I took very long to type my response and just saw your reply haha. 

Yes he is very well-versed with a broad spectrum of movies. He really takes his acting career like an artistry. It's truly his passion on top of his dream career. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Haha we were thinking about the same thing! I took very long to type my response and just saw your reply haha. 

Yes he is very well-versed with a broad spectrum of movies. He really takes his acting career like an artistry. It's truly his passion on top of his dream career. 

Remember he has a huge collection of DVDs. Didn't he say that he actually bought all the DVDs from a DVD store that closed? And he also said that late at night he will watch movies... so it's not surprising that he draws so much from movies

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

18 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Yeah he does have a great DVD collection of movies. I won’t be surprised if he was the one who watched Lion King instead of his kids hahaha 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

I noticed he watches alot of English movies too.. the classic ones. He always cites them. Like this time in his interview he cites The Graduate which is a 1967 movie! :o

A movie before he was even born! I think he's pretty old school. :D

I am time and again amazed by him. From the sounds of the interview, he's appearing to be very relaxed and at ease. Like when he says: "I can't cut my hair because it's going to be used in the next drama," he said with a big smile." :D So so glad for him. Also, I don't know whether it's translation or what, but if this is what he said and intended to convey exactly, then WOW, it was such a mature, grounded response - he said that while people remember Chuno and always ties him to the character, he had let it go. And he said he can't help if people want to tie him to Chuno always. He also said that it's not that he doesn't care about or appreciate people's thoughts, but he just doesn't let it affect him. 
I don't know where I read this, but I'm so so sure someone translated it, it was translated nicer than what I typed and I think I'm just lost in all the IG and Soompi messages that I've lost track haha. If anyone can point me back to that translation I'd be grateful. 

Remember I said before that translation can change the whole context of his sentence so just probably believe 80% will do. Not that the translators are no good but different people perceive a certain sentence differently so translation also varies.

Ok, since it's going to be  long hair, it had better be the nice wavy side parting one and not the straight centre parting one. He didn't shave so his moustache is needed for the new drama as well.

Didn't he say he always let go of his character when the drama is done? Otherwise it'll affect his next project. I really like his "work is work" "personal is personal" kind of discipline. Not every artistes can do this esp when the entertainment industry is full of temptation.

(I think) most of the time is the fans unable to draw the parellel line. Some fans think that they own the idol. And they begin to interfere into the private life of their idol which also explains why some celebrities do not reveal at all their marital status incase (crazy) fans dig out information about her or him. 

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

Very passionate about his work unlike some artistes who probably is doing it just for the "prestige" and the "money" but infact, JH doesn't need to work so hard now, he is loaded in terms of dollars and cents, but he's still working so hard. This showed his passion for acting.

53 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Remember he has a huge collection of DVDs. Didn't he say that he actually bought all the DVDs from a DVD store that closed? And he also said that late at night he will watch movies... so it's not surprising that he draws so much from movies

Initially he bought those DVDs for his father because his dad retired and so these DVDs can keep him company. The room which we saw on youtube that had all the DVDs probably is his parents home.

But this man doesn't sleep ya. He is watching movie at midnight and wakes up early in the morning to exercise. His home has a mini gymn (I think he mentioned this in an interview). What vitamin is he eating to give him so much energy??? :D

48 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Yeah he does have a great DVD collection of movies. I won’t be surprised if he was the one who watched Lion King instead of his kids hahaha 

For sure his 2 boys have outgrown cartoons. So only left little girl so papa has to accompany little princess to watch cartoon. But you know, small girl, her attention is not that long so probably papa Hyuk is the one watching from beginning to end. Lol.

33 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

The Graduate is such a classic guys! And so is The Lion King, especially for my generation (same as Jang Hyuk’s) On this thread I feel lonely like JH on the set with all the young people :sweatingbullets:

I don't really watch english movies or drama now but during my time, I enjoyed watching Hawaii 5 O, Wild Wild West, 6 million dollar man, Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman, Airport 1975, Towering Inferno and I can't remember what else...hahaha! Oh yes, James Bond! In those days, James Bond was Roger Moore. So @dramafan33I'm not that young either.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

The Graduate is such a classic guys! And so is The Lion King, especially for my generation (same as Jang Hyuk’s) On this thread I feel lonely like JH on the set with all the young people :sweatingbullets:

Oh please don’t feel that way! We are all united by our love for JH hehe and have lots to talk about him. 

12 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Remember I said before that translation can change the whole context of his sentence so just probably believe 80% will do. Not that the translators are no good but different people perceive a certain sentence differently so translation also varies.

Ok, since it's going to be  long hair, it had better be the nice wavy side parting one and not the straight centre parting one. He didn't shave so his moustache is needed for the new drama as well.

You’re right, need to take translations with a grain of salt until I can actually read and understand Korean language myself haha. 

LOL hopefully someone will sneak a picture of his new drama look when he goes to japan, or at least describe it to us even if no picture ha!

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

what he bought the whole collection from the store that closed down? Wow his collection is probably like a store already. But if one keeps it for so long, doesn’t it get mouldy? And also these days so little ppl watch shows using DVD. It’s phasing out quite quickly. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Haha I am same generation as u don’t worry 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

19 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

You’re right, need to take translations with a grain of salt until I can actually read and understand Korean language myself haha.

I decided to do the lazy way. I learn the words will do. I can understand some words. The alphabets too difficult for me. I just cannot remember them.

19 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

what he bought the whole collection from the store that closed down? Wow his collection is probably like a store already. But if one keeps it for so long, doesn’t it get mouldy? And also these days so little ppl watch shows using DVD. It’s phasing out quite quickly. 

Think he said he got 4000 over DVDs. Yes I wonder too! Doesn't the DVD get mouldy?

• Like 1

Another excerpt from another article. I wonder why article info so inconsistent. Is it not the same interview? Haha. Maybe they choose to leave out certain info here and there:

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/109/0004127174

——————

Lee Bang-won, which Jang showed in "My Country," was completed after four years. The time and effort invested did not betray him. Viewers praised him for being as heavy as the No. 1 leadoff man. In response, Jang said, "I am personally grateful. "It's definitely better to play a character with a lot of emotions," he said.
——————

Jang said, "Bangwon was once played in 'The Age of Innocence.' There was a regret left then, so I was thinking that I should do this room sometime. Then, he starred in "My Country." Before shooting, I asked the director for a favor. While Lee Bang-won's ambition, already in history, is in shape, I want to express his innermost thoughts emotionally." Fortunately, the director accepted that he is an open person in that respect. That's why I have a cool part of it," he said.

——————

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

I noticed he watches alot of English movies too.. the classic ones. He always cites them. Like this time in his interview he cites The Graduate which is a 1967 movie! :o

Yes, it is interesting most actors do not have the time to watch that much.  However, even in preparing for Iris 2 he watched all 8 seasons of 24 so I was impress.  Other actors might just watch 1 or 2 eps to get a feel, but he's pretty thorough.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

My brother-in-law collects DVD as well as vinyl records. Storing them properly in a cool, dry place can help prolong their life. 

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

The Graduate is such a classic guys! And so is The Lion King, especially for my generation (same as Jang Hyuk’s) On thtis thread I feel lonely like JH on the set with all the young people :sweatingbullets:

You're not alone! 

I think JH and I have similar taste in movies. 

I'm happy he's keeping the long hair. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Another excerpt from another article. I wonder why article info so inconsistent. Is it not the same interview? Haha. Maybe they choose to leave out certain info here and there:
——

I noticed that for previous news articles, the content are always the same from diff news companies, only diff titles. So those may have been pre written by someone else

and disseminated to all.

For this case, the journalists all had to write their own articles from scratch, hence the different versions coz the interview was so long and u can’t write everything and it depends on how they interpreted his words too. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Viewers praised him for being as heavy as the No. 1 leadoff man. In response, Jang said, "I am personally grateful. "It's definitely better to play a character with a lot of emotions," he said.

This is so true. His acting is more outstanding than the leads but by right we shouldn't compare 1 for 1 because the leads are still young newbies compared to ahjusshi. But yes, it's more interesting (for me) to watch Bang Won, the King and Queen and Nam Jeon. And I also like watching the little Crown Prince.

Jang said, "Bangwon was once played in 'The Age of Innocence.' There was a regret left then, so I was thinking that I should do this room sometime. Then, he starred in "My Country." Before shooting, I asked the director for a favor. While Lee Bang-won's ambition, already in history, is in shape, I want to express his innermost thoughts emotionally." Fortunately, the director accepted that he is an open person in that respect. That's why I have a cool part of it," he said.

His insights to scripts is really deep. He doesn't just read and act what is written. He literally scrutinise every line (maybe) and gives his own ideas/suggestions to improve it. I guess if he had just focused on Bang Won fighting for the throne, it would not have so much impact compared to him focusing on emotions and his strained relationship with the King. But good thing this Director has an open mind to accept his suggestions. Not all Directors are open minded. But then again, given his status in the industry, I can safely say (most) Directors know that he can pull it off.  

9 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

Yes, it is interesting most actors do not have the time to watch that much.  However, even in preparing for Iris 2 he watched all 8 seasons of 24 so I was impress.  Other actors might just watch 1 or 2 eps to get a feel, but he's pretty thorough.  

What vitamin is he taking to have so much energy? Hahaha! I'm wondering what supplements he is taking.

He's detailed in the things he does. Like for example, knowing all the cartoons that his children are watching/used to watch. Reads soccer books because his 1st son is interested in the game. Not sure if 2nd son plays soccer too. How many hours does he sleep? He watches movie at midnight and wakes up early morning to exercise and goes to the gymn. And filming.

@phoenix24Have you watched any of his variety programme yet? Friends in Croatia, Dragon Bromance, Real Men, just to name afew. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, budgerie said:

What vitamin is he taking to have so much energy? Hahaha! I'm wondering what supplements he is taking.

He's detailed in the things he does. Like for example, knowing all the cartoons that his children are watching/used to watch. Reads soccer books because his 1st son is interested in the game. Not sure if 2nd son plays soccer too. How many hours does he sleep? He watches movie at midnight and wakes up early morning to exercise and goes to the gymn. And filming.

@phoenix24Have you watched any of his variety programme yet? Friends in Croatia, Dragon Bromance, Real Men, just to name afew. 

Hihi I think that's why he gets burnt out and fall asleep randomly at different times in the day or they always tease him for it.  I caught glimpse of him in Croatia, saw Dragon Bromance, Real Men, Running Man, Urban Cops and family outing.  I think that's why for me he grew a lot from ep 20s of family outing to the later version of Happy Together.  I like his chemistry with Jaesuk.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

50 minutes ago, kohnlee said:

He is not cutting his hair!!! He said he needs it for next project.

will we see him in a ponytail or something ????

I was thinking of that too haha, maybe a ponytail...

Now i am wondering why are there no news of other actors joining the new OCN drama. From beginning till now it is still the 3 main leads we see.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

I was thinking of that too haha, maybe a ponytail...

Now i am wondering why are there no news of other actors joining the new OCN drama. From beginning till now it is still the 3 main leads we see.

Is filming starting soon ?

• Like 1