4 hours ago, budgerie said:

No. You won't like it. Because it's period drama, 58 episodes long & is about Immortal/Demon & supernatural powers. But it was a hit drama in 2015. It's a c drama, the journey of flower.

Loveline wise, teacher (master) falls in love with student (disciple) & is a big no no in ancient times. Sad drama.

Why do I feel his agency is not marketing him enough? Perhaps he's been there too long. Everyone is comfortable going about their own stuff to bother if he's been marketed enough (hahaha).

Definitely what I wanted to express. We may want him to do roles that are extraordinary & we know he can carry all his roles very well but the general public may not want to watch (except for us fans), how does he get good ratings or even award if the general public doesn't like the genre he chooses.

But then again, JH is not bothered about award. He's only concerned about his acting, his roles. True, but if that drama has low rating due to not popular with the general viewers, it'll also affect his next project right? Directors will not look his direction maybe. Every Director wants to do a project that has high ratings/viewership.

It was said that JH had a compromise with Sidus where he would choose some projects and he would do some they picked. The arrangement might’ve changed over the years, but it was actually two of JH known “risky” choices that yielded the better results in his career, such as Chuno and Money Flower. He did The Flu for them despite him saying he wanted to take a break from action at the moment (the movie did ok-ish only) and the remake of “All about Eve” in China, which was a flop and a big waste of time at the peak of his career, I believe. So far, I think JH has done better for himself than Sidus has (but I only know part of the picture)

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3

Hey, I'm quite puzzled. Is it so thrilling to see FL in the bathroom & the shower hose spray water all over her? Remember the scene MY was in the bathroom? I randomly came across a thai drama also got similar scene & the ML rushed in. In dramaland, FL are unable to get control of the shower hose. LOL...

• LOL 4

12 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

It was said that JH had a compromise with Sidus where he would choose some projects and he would do some they picked. The arrangement might’ve changed over the years, but it was actually two of JH known “risky” choices that yielded the better results in his career, such as Chuno and Money Flower. He did The Flu for them despite him saying he wanted to take a break from action at the moment (the movie did ok-ish only) and the remake of “All about Eve” in China, which was a flop and a big waste of time at the peak of his career, I believe. So far, I think JH has done better for himself than Sidus has (but I only know part of the picture)

Even though All About Eve was a flop, the pay should be a lot better, i guess. Saw an interview few years ago, the guy was a Singaporean actor, can't remember his name. He said the money he earned filming in China in one year was more than what he could earn in Singapore in 5 years and that as an actor, he did not have to worry about ratings because apparently the broadcasting rights have been secured prior to filming. He went on to explain that was why so many HK and Taiwan actors hv shifted focus to China. But of cos, I suppose this may not apply to all productions. 

9 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Hey, I'm quite puzzled. Is it so thrilling to see FL in the bathroom & the shower hose spray water all over her? Remember the scene MY was in the bathroom? I randomly came across a thai drama also got similar scene & the ML rushed in. In dramaland, FL are unable to get control of the shower hose. LOL...

Beats me too! Lol. :P

• Like 3

@Ding77 Yes, that is what I’ve heard too, the fact that China was Korean entertainment’s biggest and almost exclusively important market before the ban and that they paid very well. All of JH projects done in China were mostly for money. 

@The Reel Life I feel like JH could do any Ji Sung or Kim Nam Gil role as well, but I haven’t been super impressed with KNG works after QSD. I mean, I still like his acting but the dramas are not part of my favorites ever. Live up to your name was fun but had some unnecessary filler. At least they haven’t been better than many JH dramas. And Ji Sung, same, I was impressed with his work in Kill me, heal me (a golden opportunity for an actor to show versatility and he nailed it) but in Defendant, while he was good, the villain kinda stole the show, I think. 

So yeah I also don’t think there’s any drama I hope he was part of, although maybe Mr Sunshine, but he would’ve needed to speak english a bit more fluently than he tends to (he would’ve looked beautiful in that uniform though). And if he had played Dong Mae (my favorite guy in it) he was similar to Daegil, so it wouldn’t have felt new. So yeah, I don’t know. 

I kinda want him to be part of a critically acclaimed success to further his opportunities in a different market. Maybe do something with Netflix, or get casted in a movie by the director of Parasite. Something like that. And for korean dramas, maybe something like Misaeng, My Mister, Prison Playbook just to add that sorta more “realistic” type of role to his repertoire.The Prison Playbook/Reply series creators seem to create solid, consistent and popular, critically acclaimed work. Maybe work with them once and see how that goes. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

17 minutes ago, corey said:

Contract Marriage - a single mother enters the life of a cold man - Lee Seo Jin (ML) is one year older than JH! A proper tear jerker, this drama is, although I would have less of the annoying kid,

I still prefer 1% of Anything coming from HSJ.

Yes the kid is sometimes annoying & I noticed that kids in k drama can be annoying?? I find the kid in TY pretty annoying sometimes although she got good chemistry with Dr Min.

21 minutes ago, corey said:

My House Helper (I watched it for Ha Seok JIn) - OMG, I was rolling my eyes so much they almost popped out of their sockets - and it was at the female leads, almost each and every one of them

Yes, this was bad. I watched it for HSJ too but I gave up.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HollyC said:

Almost none, the only ones that come in my head is: Defendant; Stranger; maybe That Winter The Wind Blows

but at the same time i dont really see him doing those...

Why don't you see JH doing these roles? I don't know any of these shows, did a search for the first one, and actually a plot in which JH's character loses a child can be interesting for him, though I really don't know how the show is executed. I guess that show is more of a who-done-it kind of show, and less about his emotions. If that would be the theme, I'd rather JH do a drama in which he deals with the loss and maybe tries to continue with his life in some way.

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@The Reel Life I feel like JH could do any Ji Sung or Kim Nam Gil role as well, but I haven’t been super impressed with KNG works after QSD. I mean, I still like his acting but the dramas are not part of my favorites ever. Live up to your name was fun but had some unnecessary filler. At least they haven’t been better than many JH dramas. And Ji Sung, same, I was impressed with his work in Kill me, heal me (a golden opportunity for an actor to show versatility and he nailed it) but in Defendant, while he was good, the villain kinda stole the show, I think. 

The first and only show of Ji Sung that I tried to watch was Kill me, heal me and I was disappointed in it first because of the complete lack of professionalism of the FL lead. Seeing her actively and freely lusting after one of the personalities of a mentally disturbed person was disgusting to me. I know it was supposed to be a comedy and everything, but this guy's backstory wasn't amusing, and instead of trying to help the guy, she was too busy falling for the leather clad personality. Ugh! And secondly- I'm afraid I  wasn't impressed with Ji Sung. It felt like for each of the personalities, he went for the most obvious of acting choices. There was no complexity to the different characters and especially not to his real character. His way of making that character the most normal, was to make him the most boring and bland. And if that's our protagonist- I wasn't interested enough to continue watching, so I dropped the show and kinda dropped the actor... 

and Kim Nam Gil did the fiery priest, right? He was cute enough there, I guess. Don't know any of his other shows...

So yeah I also don’t think there’s any drama I hope he was part of, although maybe Mr Sunshine, but he would’ve needed to speak english a bit more fluently than he tends to (he would’ve looked beautiful in that uniform though). 

Mr. Sunshine... If I recall correctly most of you guys didn't have much to say about that show. I tried watching it, and It was an impressive show visually, but again I get to a block that is the love story going bland, due to the complete lack of ability of kdramas to maintain sexual tension, and from that point I couldn't muster enough interest to continue watching, so, again, dropped it. :) I'm horrible, I know...

I kinda want him to be part of a critically acclaimed success to further his opportunities in a different market. Maybe do something with Netflix, or get casted in a movie by the director of Parasite. Something like that. And for korean dramas, maybe something like Misaeng, My Mister, Prison Playbook just to add that sorta more “realistic” type of role to his repertoire.The Prison Playbook/Reply series creators seem to create

solid, consistent and popular, critically acclaimed work. Maybe work with them once and see how that goes. 

Sounds good. I hope JH would get an opportunity to work with that team... 

4 hours ago, corey said:

Other than this, I think JH would have been great in  Tell me What you Saw - ok, ok, i know that he was great in TMWYS - but what I mean is that if only the second part of the drama had been changed to focus on OHJ's healing rather that on incompetent cops running around, this would have been by far one of my most favourite dramas of all time.

I'm with you on this. The other shows you mentioned I didn't recognize, but TMWYS had such a potential to show exactly what you said. The only problem is that in order to reprise this role he'd need to elongate his hair again, and that might take six months... But I want this! I want to know who OHJ was, how he fell in love, what happened immediately after he was injured and see him really heal! 

Potentially- OHJ can be the prefect character for a show with several seasons. He's that interesting!

Other than this - I am beginning to think that KDramas are a waste of time. The last one I watched, called My House Helper (I watched it for Ha Seok JIn) - OMG, I was rolling my eyes so much they almost popped out of their sockets - and it was at the female leads, almost each and every one of them - and this was supposed to be a "progressive" drama, where a man has a houskeeping job and there is a gay character, too.

That has been my conclusion for some time now...

I actually was meaning to watch My House Helper :) it's actually open on my computer, waiting for me to watch... Slowly closing that window, :blink: and thank you for sparing me the waste of time watching that show! :D

• Like 2

@corey Ok but Im curious. Why do you follow Biology’s “non recommendations” though? :lol:  Do you guys have similar taste? In my opinion, Kill me heal me is fun and so is Mr Sunshine. But I guess only Biology’s recommendations matter to you? Lol ok then. (Kill me, heal me was super popular, so you probably read more than one person who liked it. It is also as much a comedy as FTLY or even less. It has a lot of drama and Ji Sung is good at those. He is also very intense and sexy as the “bad guy”) 

@Biology Lesson I remember that house helper drama had terrible reviews mostly, when it aired. 

I will try watching the Reply series soon. They are on Netflix and I’ve heard too many positive reviews. I hope I’m not disappointed. 

One last thing, I compare JH with KNG and Ji Sung because those actors also have an ability to make you feel what they feel. They are both good in comedy and drama. Similarly to JH, even when their dramas are not excellent, they elevate them. And especially KNG is really excellent in emotional scenes (especially loved him in QSD, not on The Fiery Priest) They both also can go over the top it not well directed. To me, acting wise they have a very similar style to JH (and I know Im not alone in that, the comparison between JH and KNG specifically is common among their respective korean fans) The only reason JH is closer to my heart is because I find him more physically attractive :P

• Like 4

Yes he did. However, there is no way I am watching a show where a priest is the lead character, lol. I watched Live up to your name quite recently, it was enjoyable but nothing special. I tried to see KNG in Queen Seon Deok, so I fast-forwarded thought sixteen or so episodes and he was still nowhere is sight. So I gave up the show.

The way I would describe The fiery priest is fun trash. It's trash, but it was fun. It's full of over acting and bad acting, especially by the actress playing the prosecutor (that played Wang so's wife in SOGC)- she was absolutely awful. The guy playing the priest was fun, but, as you've said, nothing special. You see the same performance from most male leads in K Rom Coms. In short, the show was fun, but in no way deserving of all the awards it got.

No, you are just picky, heh. :DAnyway, your description of Mr Sunshine dissuaded me from watching this drama some time ago.

Just to satisfy @dramafan33 there, who seems to think I'm corrupting you :lol:, you could try watching this show. It had some good performances, and you might be able to look past the lack of sexual tension between the leads. As you might remember, there actually was a moment of sexual tension between the main girl and the guy in red on the right in the pic, but that obviously was because he's a bad guy... <_< I actually much liked the acting of the two supporting guys here over the lead Lee Byung‑hun, who I thought was charismatic but kinda bland. I can't say much else about this show, as I dropped it midway. Satisfied @dramafan33?

Mr. Sunshine | Korean actors, Byun yo han, Korean drama

It is quite rate for a KDrama to have more than one season. But you rightly say, the main character must be interesting. It reminds me of the drama Romanic Dr Kim which recently had its second season, with possible hints of doing a third - a maveric genius doctor with complicated past, idealistic and passionate, plus young, easy-on-the-eye cast - a really good show if you like medical.

You could try this Feel Good to Die. It has a fantasy element - it is similar to Groundgod Day, the main character re-living a specific day in her life (also very similar in that aspect to one episode of Supernatural), but otherwise it is quite realistic, a good portrayal of office politics, and the ML has a very satisfactory arc. And the FL is not annoying. It was the best I saw in many months.

Sounds interesting. Will try. What about Romantic Dr Kim? Should I try?

• Like 2

I thought JH can do some of Nam Goong Min drama like Dr. Prisoner or Stove League. Dr. Prisoner character is kinda his forte. Revenge cold blooded plot. But, Stove League is more subtle, more heart wrenching and town down. 

Also agreed that JH can take some JS drama. They are only one year apart but JS always got a good role. When he got one I always wondering when JH will have opportunity to have a good role like this. Now feel like cursing Sidus. lol

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

7 hours ago, corey said:

This is off-topic, but I sort of cannot stop thinking about it... As much as I love 1%... I cannot really get over one thing - the drinking.

@corey

Spoiler

Isn't it said that when a person is drunk, he/she will usually speak what's in her/his mind? In her sober state, DaDa will never express her love to Jae In because she's very conscious/aware of her & his status. Jae In is a chaebol, she's a commoner. In their society, chaebol are supposed to marry within their chaebol community. Not so much for love but for the company or the financial standing whatsoever. You recalled Jae In ex girlfriend? She desperately wanted to marry Jae In not for love but for her father's company. So when DaDa was drunk, that was after she attended Jae In company's function, she noticed she was the odd one out, even Jae In's mother also gave her cold shoulder although she was cordial. DaDa in her drunk state expressed to Jae In their status differences & that they cannot be together.

As for Jae In drinking with DaDa's father until both were dead drunk, you remembered that DaDa's father also disapproved of their relationship due to Jae In is a chaebol. In order to prove to DaDa's father that he truly love DaDa & wants to marry her, Jae In drives daily to DaDa's parents house only to be refused entry & that was like an hour to 2 hours drive per trip. His sincerity touched DaDa's father. The drinking is more an expression of "doing what DaDa's father wants him to do" & since DaDa's father is a good drinker which no one could win, Jae In took up the challenge. The 1st person to be on the floor wins so hahaha...although I don't approve of that scene either.

(Hope this explanation sounds ok to you).

@dramafan33After our "brief" topic on Carlos, I'm back to watching some episodes of it. :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

38 minutes ago, yoeda said:

I thought JH can do some of Nam Goong Min drama like Dr. Prisoner or Stove League. Dr. Prisoner character is kinda his forte. Revenge cold blooded plot. But, Stove League is more subtle, more heart wrenching and town down. 

Also agreed that JH can take some JS drama. They are only one year apart but JS always got a good role. When he got one I always wondering when JH will have opportunity to have a good role like this. Now feel like cursing Sidus. lol

JH must hv his reasons to stay with Sidus lol though I think a change in agency might give a little boost to his career. :P but yeah, I don't think that will happen too. 

I've tried some of the dramas that were discussed earlier on, DOTS, Kill Me Heal Me, Goblin and Mr Sunshine to name a few. I liked Mr Sunshine and Kill Me Heal Me, and did the least fast forwarding. DOTS was unbearable for me, I still don't understand why is SHK so popular. I think JH would do a better job than JS if he were to do that role in Kill Me, JS though good, was still below JH. He just felt more "flat" if compared to JH and I don't think I'm biased making this comment. But still, he did a great job there.

Someone posted this on twitter, gave me a good laugh just by looking at LG here, I just so love LG. :lol:

Eg-Od4sr-U4-AAuz-L3.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Today we have some news of Joe Taslim in 'The Swordsman'

Joe Taslim and Jang Hyuk's action showdown in 'The Swordsman'

The chase action film "The Swordsman" (directed by Choi Jae-hoon, produced by Opus Pictures) is receiving much attention for the appearance of action actor Joe Taslim.

Joe Taslim made an early splash in Hollywood with a charming mask and realistic action performance, working twice with Justin Lin, who directed "The Fast and the Furious: The Maxim" and "Star Trek Beyond." In particular, Star Trek Beyond was accompanied by top actors such as Simon Pegg and Idris Elba, giving them an incomparable sense of action.

In 'The Swordsman', Joe Taslim plays the role of Gurutai, a Qing dynasty royalty who covets chaotic Joseon, confronting Jang Hyuk, the country's leading action actor, and shows off another heavy presence.

In the movie, Gurutai kidnaps Tae-ok (Kim Hyun-soo), the daughter of Tae-yul (Jang Hyuk), taking advantage of Joseon's chaotic situation due to the confrontation between Ming and Qing. In addition, he adds tension to the play by threatening the people of Joseon in order to find talented people who can rival him.

Martial arts director Lee Sang-ha of "The Swordsman" raised expectations for Joe Taslim's action performance, saying, "Not only did he have outstanding talent in action and martial arts, but he also has excellent agility."

As such, "The Swordsman" is expected to provide a variety of attractions with high-level action performances by actors who boast colorful martial arts skills against the backdrop of various places in the Joseon Dynasty.

"The Swordsman" is a real chase action film that begins when the best swordsman in Joseon Dynasty, who turned his back on the world, raises his sword again to find his lost daughter after the deposition of Gwanghaegun. It is the first feature film directed by Choi Jae-hoon, who was the artistic director in the "Anatomy Classroom", and starred Jang Hyuk, Joe Taslim, Jung Man-sik, Kim Hyun-soo, Lee Na-kyung and Lee Min-hyuk. It will be released on September 17.

2020082501002160000144732.jpg

2020082501002160000144731.jpg

https://sports.chosun.com/news/ntype.htm?id=202008250100216000014473&servicedate=20200825

• Thanks 6

6 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@corey Ok but Im curious. Why do you follow Biology’s “non recommendations” though? :lol:  Do you guys have similar taste? In my opinion, Kill me heal me is fun and so is Mr Sunshine. But I guess only Biology’s recommendations matter to you? Lol ok then. (Kill me, heal me was super popular, so you probably read more than one person who liked it. It is also as much a comedy as FTLY or even less. It has a lot of drama and Ji Sung is good at those. He is also very intense and sexy as the “bad guy”) 

@Biology Lesson I remember that house helper drama had terrible reviews mostly, when it aired. 

I will try watching the Reply series soon. They are on Netflix and I’ve heard too many positive reviews. I hope I’m not disappointed. 

One last thing, I compare JH with KNG and Ji Sung because those actors also have an ability to make you feel what they feel. They are both good in comedy and drama. Similarly to JH, even when their dramas are not excellent, they elevate them. And especially KNG is really excellent in emotional scenes (especially loved him in QSD, not on The Fiery Priest) They both also can go over the top it not well directed. To me, acting wise they have a very similar style to JH (and I know Im not alone in that, the comparison between JH and KNG specifically is common among their respective korean fans) The only reason JH is closer to my heart is because I find him more physically attractive :P

Hihi I think we have similar taste.  I have to admit though on first glance I skip over JS and KNG.  It takes a second review for me to appreciate them.  Some part is very ff material, but some part impress me.    I always wonder about KNG's choice in drama too.  Lol, but just like FTLY I'm glad I came back.  I think it's hit or miss sometime.  If Merchant was my first drama of JH then things might of been different now.  

I do think when Nam Goong Min does comedy he can tend to go on the mental side too.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, yoeda said:

Really? But what other good role has Ji Sung gotten besides his 7 roles in KMHM? I think JH has had better roles more often. 

@phoenix24 Yes! I believe in giving actors more chances than one. Like you, if I had seen JH for the first time in Iris 2, Voice or Merchant I would’ve had the wrong impression of him. I think I’ll have to check out Nam Goong Min. He sounds like an interesting and fun actor. The word “mental” associated with actor is very appealing to me :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 4