6 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Ohhh I see, and I’m sure you have told us this 1000000 times but my memory fails me! And Im super curious, how did you decide to watch FTLY? Since you had never watched kdrama before? What drew you in? I ask because sometimes I hesitate to recommend FTLY thinking people will be turned off by it’s cartoony appearance and if not, by Lee Gun’s wackiness :lol:

Haha I did recommend FTLY to my aunt rêcently since she said she's been watching very old dramas because she has to watch with dub.  She had already watched it and said it was ok.  I try to watch it in dub, but it's hard too now that I know his voice .  It didn't really hurt though.  Even within our group we feel different about each work so maybe will try to recommend another one later.  Now that I think back  it took me some time to get use to Korean humor and characters like most fl and all the aegyo.  However, did feel a little bit like this when aunt said FTLY was just ok

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

9 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I actually was disappointing in her in MF after I saw her BM. I thought she was much better in BM... Her character was so complex- she was soft and sweet, innocent, and then furious and vindictive, never backing down from LY, and then it was beautiful to see her coming to a new relationship with LY...

My only problem, as usual, was that the show kinda suggested that even though they were together for years, they didn't have a sexual relationship! It's such a silly thing and took away from the realness of the show... 

I thought she was bland in MF too. She in BM was "better" in terms of acting that she could play a sweet girl trying to get LYO attention when she said she was hungry & wanted to eat chicken. Than she could act the lady we all "hated" because she played LYO out & trying to win his affection back. In MF, she was literally just 1 note.

As for the absence of sexual relationship even though they've been togther for years, it could be true in real life for koreans due to the culture. What I understand is, a typical korean family, usually the woman marries into the man family. So it's like you live with your FIL, MIL, SIL, BIL, Grandma/Grandpa-in-law, etc. You can't have sexual relationship before that unless the man owns his own property already before he married you. Going into a hotel is looked upon as quite inappropriate. Culture thingy.

9 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I agree... it was an stupefying waste...

Haiz, the only scene which OHJ is with Isu is so distant. No hanky panky, nothing lovey dovey, even though they're both alone in the house. :lol:

1 hour ago, phoenix24 said:

I try to watch it in dub, but it's hard too now that I know his voice . 

Dubbed to what language?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

6 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Ohhh I see, and I’m sure you have told us this 1000000 times but my memory fails me! And Im super curious, how did you decide to watch FTLY? Since you had never watched kdrama before? What drew you in? I ask because sometimes I hesitate to recommend FTLY thinking people will be turned off by it’s cartoony appearance and if not, by Lee Gun’s wackiness :lol:

It was my brother that recommended FTLY to me. You see, he got into Kdramas through the historical shows, as they had lots of fights and battle scenes. I tried watching with him, but I had a problem- the feminine looking male Korean actors :) Especially in the historical shows, with their long hair. Them looking so feminine made it impossible for me to get into the romance (at that point I didn't realize that even if they weren't flower boys, the romance would be usually so bland, it still won't work for me... ) . 

But then my brother came to me and told me that I NEED to watch this show, FTLY. At first I resisted cause the show looked like such cliche. I couldn't imagine anything making that show good. But he insisted, so I tried watching it. And as @phoenix24 said, the Korean humor was at first hard to get used to. I remember I was actually shocked by the opening scene! such a wild introduction to JH, ha? :D As I said before, at first viewing, MY's behavior made me stop watching. She was so meek, I couldn't take it.

When I told my brother that, he again insisted that I watch it (he really knows me :) ) . So  I tried a second time, and- the rest is history! I remember lying in bed, Saturday morning, watching the show and sobbing! I never cried like that watching a show in my life! I was actually weeping! I loved it! But at that point I thought i loved it cause Kdramas were just that good. So I thought I would watch more dramas with the same actor, so next I watched BM, SOGC and TWDR, and I was amazed that I loved all of them! But still I thought it's just that Kdramas are that good. I never connected it to the actor. And as all you guys, at first I didn't even realize he was good looking (How blind was I?!) . So, at this point I kinda stopped watching, I guess I was distracted and watched something else. I think I watched a random Korean movie every now and again, including Silenced, but no actor impressed me that much that I wanted to watch him more.

maybe a year later I randomly watched Black on Netflix, and loved that show too! I thought this proved my conclusion that Kdramas are generally good, so I figured I'll watch more of Song Seung-Heon shows. And I tried, but I couldn't bring myself to finish any of them! I hated all of them, and I tried like 5 or 6 shows! This is where i was like "wait! It wasn't the shows that were that good, it was the actor?!". So I went back to JH and randomly chose MF (luckily I didn't choose WOL, that would have turned me off real fast...). As You already know, I had a lot of problems with MF, but JH's performance was epic to me! Incredible! I remember at a certain point, I grabbed my head and was like "I can't believe I'm seeing what I seeing!". His performance was so intense, so contained... I've never seen anything like it! But, still I wasn't a fan at this point :) It was only after I did a search on him and found out he did this variety show "The dragon club" just before he did MF,  and I watched it, that I became a fan! I thought he was delightful! I was impressed by his work ethics and discipline. Loved that no mockery made him change. I was amazed that this quiet, serious, goofy, easy going and sweet man could produce such a performance... So, at this point I was an fan! But- I still have no idea when it was that realized he was good looking...:blink:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

5 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

It was my brother that recommended FTLY to me. You see, he got into Kdramas through the historical shows, as they had lots of fights and battle scenes. I tried watching with him, but I had a problem- the feminine looking male Korean actors :) Especially in the historical shows, with their long hair. Them looking so feminine made it impossible for me to get into the romance (at that point I didn't realize that even if they weren't flower boys, the romance would be usually so bland, it still won't work for me... ) . 

But then my brother came to me and told me that I NEED to watch this show, FTLY. At first I resisted caused the show looked like such cliche. I couldn't imagine anything making that show good. But he insisted, so I tried watching it. And as @phoenix24 said, the Korean humor was at first hard to get used to. I remember I was actually shocked by the opening scene! such a wild introduction to JH, ha? :D As I said, at first viewing, MY's behavior made me stop watching. She was so meek, I couldn't take it.

When I told my brother that, he again insisted that I watch it (he really knows me :) ) . So  I tried a second time, and- the rest is history! I remember lying in bed, Saturday morning, watching the show and sobbing! I never cried like that watching a show in my life! I was actually weeping! I loved it! But at that point I thought i loved it cause Kdramas were just that good. So I thought I would watch more dramas with the same actor, so next I watched BM, SOGC and TWDR, and I was amazed that I loved all of them! But still I thought it's just that Kdramas are that good. I never connected it to the actor. And as all you guys, at first I didn't even realize he was good looking (How blind was I?!) . So, at this point I kinda stopped watching, I guess I was distracted and watched something else. I think I watched a random Korean movie every now and then, including Silenced, but no actor impressed me that much that I wanted to watch him more.

maybe a year later I watched Black on Netflix, and loved that show too! I thought this proved my conclusion that Kdramas are generally good, so I figured I'll watch more of Song Seung-Heon shows. And I tried, but I couldn't bring myself to finish any of them! I hated all of them, and I tried like 5 or six shows! This is where i was like "wait! It wasn't the shows that were that good, it was the actor?!". So I went back to JH and randomly chose MF (luckily I didn't choose WOL, that would have turned me off real fast...). You already know, I had a lot of problems with MF, but JH's performance was epic to me! Incredible! I remember at a certain point, I grabbed my head and was like "I can't believe I'm seeing what I seeing!". His performance was so intense, so contained... I've never seen anything like it! But, still I wasn't a fan at this point :) It was only after I did a search on him and found out he did this variety show "The dragon club" just before he did MF,  and I watched it, that I become a fan! I thought he was delightful! I was impressed by his work ethics and discipline. Loved that no mockery made him change. I was amazed that this quiet, serious, goofy, easy going and sweet man could produce such a performance... So, that was when I became a fan! I still have no idea when it was that realized he was good looking...:blink:

haha yea JH wasn't exactly my type of guy because 1 I usually don't like guy with mustache or long hair.  The lucky part for me when I found JH was that it is later when alot of his shows had all the episodes out and I can just do a marathon of his work.  His acting caught my attention more and more and then variety/interviews seal the deal.  Even though he's known for being an action star I was very move by the depth of his emotions.  I mean the superpower that he wish for was reading people's mind of all the superpowers out there.  This tells me a lot in itself.  He's just intriguing in so many ways.  I can go on longer, but I think a lot of us feels this or knows many of his amazing qualities.  Yea, I agree with you that he see things in a unique way and the way he express it shows.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, budgerie said:

I thought she was bland in MF too. She in BM was "better" in terms of acting that she could play a sweet girl trying to get LYO attention when she said she was hungry & wanted to eat chicken. Than she could act the lady we all "hated" because she played LYO out & trying to win his affection back. In MF, she was literally just 1 note.

Completely agree. This is why I want JH to work more with the BM writers and director, inspite of the ratings. 

As for the absence of sexual relationship even though they've been togther for years, it could be true in real life for koreans due to the culture. What I understand is, a typical korean family, usually the woman marries into the man family. So it's like you live with your FIL, MIL, SIL, BIL, Grandma/Grandpa-in-law, etc. You can't have sexual relationship before that unless the man owns his own property already before he married you. Going into a hotel is looked upon as quite inappropriate. Culture thingy.

Seriously? Not even a kiss?! I can't imagine this... But when I saw Mom's diary, they did wonder about KJK living with his parents. JH was wondering where was KJK was getting together with his girlfriends, and I think it was KJK's mother that suggested maybe in his car. From that exchange it felt that it was obvious to everyone that KJK would be intimate with his girlfriends. And also there was the story of JH's future wife visiting him in the army and him preventing his other friends from coming as he wanted to be alone with her... All this, suggests that being intimate before the wedding is obvious to Koreans, you just don't get pregnant before you get married :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, phoenix24 said:

Vietnamese

I know what you mean. When we're familiar already with JH voice, hearing his voice being dubbed seemed weird but JH doesn't speak vietnamese :D. For an ordinary non JH fan, dubbing will not be an issue. For JH fans, yes! :grimace:Thankfully the c drama of my fav actors are their real voice most of the time. :D

Know what drama I wish JH would do soon? Similar to thai drama Sawang Biang. I want him to act a lecher. I know he did that in Robbers but I didn't like Robbers. 1 thing I didn't like about thai drama is that they forced the woman - rape/forced kiss. But I want JH to act such role. I want to see how he can execute it.

they did wonder about KJK living with his parents. JH was wondering where was KJK was getting together with his girlfriends, and I think it was KJK's mother that suggested maybe in his car. From that exchange it felt that it was obvious to everyone that KJK would be intimate with his girlfriends. And also there was the story of JH's future wife visiting him in the army and him preventing his other friends from coming as he wanted to be alone with her... All this, as suggests that being intimate before the wedding is obvious to Koreans, you just don't get pregnant before you get married :) 

Kisses can be easily done in the car but if you want to hanky panky inside the car, better make sure the car is in the jungle or forest. Hahaha! You don't want to end up being in the headlines tomorrow for sexual intimacy inside the car! Lol. But I must say, I find k reporters not so harsh as compared to c reporters. C reporters are very harsh when they question the actors rumoured to have an extra marital affair. And these poor actors are forever being rumoured. 

Being sexually intimate before marriage is still an issue in asian countries although it's not as bad as our aunty generation.

• LOL 2

@Biology Lesson Thank you for sharing your story again! 

About being intimate before marriage, I have the feeling that JHs generation was still a bit more convervative but the newer generation might be less. But even if they have intimacy before marriage, they try not to be too obvious about it. I have read women are delaying marriage too. It’s even considered some sort of crisis over there. 

What JH did, eloping with the wife and conceiving the baby (he said he did it on purpose right? To get the parents to accept his marriage) anyway, I think that action was probably frowned upon and a bit of risk when he did it. But it all worked out. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Kisses can be easily done in the car but if you want to hanky panky inside the car, better make sure the car is in the jungle or forest. Hahaha! Being sexually intimate before marriage is still an issue in asian countries although it's not as bad as our aunty generation.

Then explain Korean movies to me... Kdrama- people date for years, no hanky-panky. Korean movies- people look at at each other- immediate hanky panky. For the entire movie... :blink:

• LOL 4

20 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Thank you for sharing your story again! 

No problem :) 

About being intimate before marriage, I have the feeling that JHs generation was still a bit more convervative but the newer generation might be less. But even if they have intimacy before marriage, they try not to be too obvious about it. I have read women are delaying marriage too. It’s even considered some sort of crisis over there. 

So you are telling me you are buying what is depicted in Kdramas?! LYO and his his fiance date for years, not even a kiss? LG and Sera date for years, and she behaves to him like she is his older sister? (never mind that when LG wakes up with MY and thinks it is Sera, he behaved like it was a completely ordinary occurrence for him, meaning that they did have sex in the past...). PJ doesn't date a single woman for 3 years. Dae gill, surrounded with women who are more than willing, doesn't touch them, 10 years after his love betrays him. Also don't forget- In Bad papa, JH character never touches his wife beyond a hug and kiss on the cheek?!  If Kdramas reflect Korean society- What do korean movies reflect?!

What JH did, eloping with the wife and conceiving the baby (he said he did it on purpose right? To get the parents to accept his marriage) anyway, I think that action was probably frowned upon and a bit of risk when he did it. But it all worked out. 

JH getting pregnant before marriage, had to do with his parents and manager objecting to him getting married, not having sex! What was frowned upon was him getting pregnant, no the sex part. If I'm not mistaken- didn't JH even counsel soldiers on sex, after he memorized the Kinsey report?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Then explain Korean movies to me... Kdrama- people date for years, no hanky-panky. Korean movies- people look at at each other- immediate hanky panky. For the entire movie... :blink:

I think before a movie or drama can be released, there are guidelines to follow & depending on the genre if it will be approved first? If it's a hanky panky movie from start to end, in chinese is called "3rd catergory film" so probably special permit is needed. And they can put age limit to those entering the cinema. But in drama, because generally it caters to the general audience, old & young, hanky panky is not so common. I think....

24 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

In the interview in chinese subtitle, he said he did feel bad about it towards his parents. He felt he did the right thing but he felt bad about it towards his parents.

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson I’m not saying they don’t have sex but they probably are discreet about it and if you live with your parents as and adult, having a sex life is not easy. I don’t want to get too personal but I actually come from a conservative family and to me, there is a big difference between how I used to be in front of my parents and how the newer generations behave. And in my view, “americans” were always a bit “too” liberal when it comes to sex. So I don’t see being conservative as something so strange. It’s one thing knowing about sex and another to act on it. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I’m not saying they don’t have sex but they probably are discreet about it and if you live with your parents as and adult, having a sex life is not easy. I don’t want to get too personal but I actually come from a conservative family and to me, there is a big difference between how I used to be in front of my parents and how the newer generations behave. And in my view, “americans” were always a bit “too” liberal when it comes to sex. So I don’t see being conservative as something so strange. It’s one thing knowing about sex and another to act on it. 

For sure, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about k dramas, and how they show relationships. None of the characters' parents were on hand in any of the shows I mentioned :) I agree that many of the american shows go too sexual and too "liberal". Still, that doesn't explain why we're seeing character after character in relationships that are completely asexual. I started on this subject with LYO and his fiance- dating for more than 5 years. Seriously, I'm supposed to believe they never had anything between them beyond a kiss on the cheek? and it's not like we didn't see a more heated relationship in the same shows- LYO did show desire for his sunshine- just those sweet scenes of him wanting to hold her hand, and the kiss at the end, show it beautifully. it wasn't heated, but JH managed to show LYO's need to be close to her physically. So how did he avoid it with his fiance?! Obviously he didn't want her, but realistically, he wouldn't avoid that, for the mere reason that if he had, she would have known something was off about him, and he was all about pretending to be normal. Also, LG obviously wanted MY and we saw it, so why does the same show depict his relationship with Sera as completely sex-less? This has nothing to do with tradition... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

That was why JH was trying hard to get KJK to move out right? So that he can bring a woman home. :lol:He can't do that when he's living with his parents.

• LOL 2

2 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

For sure, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about k dramas, and how they show relationships. None of the characters' parents were on hand in any of the shows I mentioned :) I agree that many of the american shows go too sexual and too "liberal". Still, that doesn't explain why we're seeing character after character in relationships that are completely asexual. I started on this subject with LYO and his fiance- dating for more than 5 years. Seriously, I'm supposed to believe they never had anything between them beyond a kiss on the cheek? and it's not like we didn't see a more heated relationship in the same shows- LYO did show desire for his sunshine- just those sweet scenes of him wanting to hold her hand, and the kiss at the end, show it beautifully. it wasn't heated, but JH managed to show LYO's need to be close to her physically. So how did he avoid it with his fiance?! Obviously he didn't want her, but realistically, he wouldn't avoid that, for the mere reason that if he had, she would have known something was off about him, and he was all about pretending to be normal. Also, LG obviously wanted MY and we saw it, so why does the same show depict his relationship with Sera as completely sex-less? This has nothing to do with tradition... 

Just take it that the scriptwriter didn't write any thing sexual for LG/Sera & LYO/PSY. It's kinda difficult to explain why. It can be so many reasons. Since LG/Sera weren't going to end up in the end, likewise LYO/PSY weren't going to end up in the end, no point writing them having hanky panky. Waste of time + waste of production film. (I cannot even remember what's PSY character name in BM). So long as the audience know that they've had that long relationship is enough & the rest is left to our own imagination what they had done/not done sexually. :grimace:

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

8 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Just take it that the scriptwriter didn't write any thing sexual for LG/Sera & LYO/PSY. It's kinda difficult to explain why. It can be so many reasons. Since LG/Sera weren't going to end up in the end, likewise LYO/PSY weren't going to end up in the end, no point writing them having hanky panky. Waste of time + waste of production film. (I cannot even remember what's PSY character name in BM). So long as the audience know that they've had that long relationship is enough & the rest is left to our own imagination what they had done/not done sexually. :grimace:

This is what I was thinking, just the writers being sloppy. I think it was a mistake, especially for BM, because it would have been another aspect of LYO. Showing the difference in him- showing his behavior in the calculated pretense of his relationship with his fiance, to his behavior when he is really in love. It was obvious that with his fiance he was constantly in control, but with GJS she had power over him. The way he retreated from her several times, looking away from her after she kissed him or in the hospital. It was almost like she scared him, the things she saw. But she never used that against him. Her honesty disarmed him and made him shy... It was so beautiful to watch. It would have been great to see the contrast between that and his relationship with his fiance. We didn't get enough of that. I wish we had those two missing episodes to show us more! So frustrating! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

This is what I was thinking, just the writers being sloppy. I think it was a mistake, especially for BM, because it would have been another aspect of LYO. Showing the difference in him- showing his behavior in the calculated pretense of his relationship with his fiance, to his behavior when he is really in love. It was obvious that with his fiance he was constantly in control, but with GJS she had power over him. The way he retreated from her several times, looking away from her after she kissed him or in the hospital. It was almost like she scared him, the things she saw. But she never used that against him. Her honesty disarmed him and made him shy... It was so beautiful to watch. It would have been great to see the contrast between that and his relationship with his fiance. We didn't get enough of that. I wish we had those two missing episodes to show us more! So frustrating! 

Frankly, I don't know is it I'm a JH fan so therefore I'm watching his drama even though the plot sucks at some point. But in all honesty, if without JH in it, I wouldn't even be bothered to watch quite many of these drama. I try to imagine these drama of his without JH & it's unbearable if another actor took this role.

I know most c drama are taken from novels, the scriptwriter only needs to change the storyline here & there but even then, some scriptwriter really do a bad job. Why can't it be filmed according to the novels? But I think k drama, the scriptwriter write from scratch so it's even more challenging.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Frankly, I don't know is it I'm a JH fan so therefore I'm watching his drama even though the plot sucks at some point. But in all honesty, if without JH in it, I wouldn't even be bothered to watch quite many of these drama. I try to imagine these drama of his without JH & it's unbearable if another actor took this role.

That was my point when I told the story of how I became his fan- when I first started watching his shows, I didn't know anything about him, I just thought the shows were very good. Only later did I realize that those shows were so good because of him. When I tried watching other shows of the guy from Black, I realized how rare it is for an actor to have to so many shows I liked. Obviously it's JH. We know by now, that even if the script sucks, he will do everything he can to improve it. I think we should stop suspecting ourselves of being biased :) JH IS that extraordinary, and I can say that I know I wouldn't have enjoyed any of his shows if he weren't in them. Again, look at how hard it is for us to find good Kdramas without him...

18 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I know most c drama are taken from novels, the scriptwriter only needs to change the storyline here & there but even then, some scriptwriter really do a bad job. Why can't it be filmed according to the novels? But I think k drama, the scriptwriter write from scratch so it's even more challenging.

From the review video we just, it looks like there are cool C fantasy dramas, but the thing is, I don't think I can get over the even-more feminine look of the actors in those shows...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

That was my point when I told the story of how I became his fan- when I first started watching his shows, I didn't know anything about him, I just thought the shows were very good. Only later did I realize that those shows were so good because of him. When I tried watching other shows of the guy from Black, I realized how rare it is for an actor to have to so many shows I liked. Obviously it's JH. We know by now, that even if the script sucks, he will do everything he can to improve it. I think we should stop suspecting ourselves of being biased :) JH IS that extraordinary, and I can say that I know I wouldn't have enjoyed any of his shows if he weren't in them. Again, look at how hard it is for us to find good Kdramas without him...

Yup, the shows were good because of him in it. I can't imagine any other actor as LG or as LYO or as PJ. 

The drama that I enjoyed most (without JH) is Jumong. I simply love that drama.

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

From the review video we just, it looks like there are cool C fantasy dramas, but the thing is, I don't think I can get over the even-more feminine look of the actors in those shows...

C drama historical or fantasy definitely more well accepted by audience. The production of these historical or fantasy probably have more budget & is usually very elaborate. If you're lucky is 50 episodes, if unlucky 85 episodes or more. The plot is more interesting (although some parts will still sucks).

These days young c & k actors mostly look feminine :blink: thus I only watch actors who are 40s above. For c fantasy drama, I always stand for The Journey of Flower. The cast are not feminine looking. But because some of them are acting as  immortals so they have that "immortal" look. Hahaha! But I go for the storyline & the acting. I wish JH can act such character too. I want him to be in a longer episode drama. He'll act very well in tortured love kind of drama. Teacher is forbidden to love his student & TJOF is exactly this storyline.

• Like 2