Quantcast
Jump to content

Jang Hyuk Poll  

16 members have voted

  1. 1. Which genre do you think Jang Hyuk suits best? (choose up to 3)

  2. 2. Which leading lady would you like Jang Hyuk to be paired up with again? (choose up to 4)

    • Sooyoung
      0
    • Son Yeo Eun
      0
    • Jung Ryeo Won
    • Park Se Young
    • Lee Ha Na
    • Park So Dam
    • Han Chae Ah
      0
    • Oh Yeon Seo
    • Jang Nara
    • Lee Da Hae
    • Shin Se Kyung
      0
    • Kim Hee Ae
    • Lee Min Jung
    • Han Ye Seul
    • Kong Hyo Jin
    • Someone else. Who?
    • ADDITION TO POLL: Jin Seo Yeon
  3. 3. Do you prefer Jang Hyuk with abs or without abs? (He did win the sageuk abs poll after all...)

    • With abs! Chuno was great!
    • Doesn't matter. He looks great in a shirt and without one!
    • I only care for his acting. I couldn't care less about him having abs.

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 04/17/2021 at 11:00 AM

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, corey said:

Ok, maybe you are right, but to me her non-assertiveness and shyness is to the n-th degree and to the point of being not very convinvcing or attractive to me. Especially that she is a very lovely young woman. We've been told that she is unattractive - and this happens in many K-Dramas (and C-Dramas, too!) and the show tells the audience that a very beautiful woman woman is ugly, and sometimes to convince us they make the girl wear glasses. Anyway, I am not a fan of MY in FTLY, but that is my opinion only of course

To tell you the truth, at first viewing her character's behavior was the reason I didn't finish watching. I felt she wasn't strong enough, you know, the whole "girl power" thing :) It was only at second viewing that I let go of that. I realized that she had a different type of strength- she was described beautifully by LG- a not very smart woman ("pabo" he called her)  that is very-very kind. Women like her exist, women that are shy and insecure at work, but have this incredible emotional intelligence that gives them a different kind of strength. Strength of character. And this is what MY had. The moment I accepted that, I was able to enjoy who she was, and how she was exactly what LG needed. For sure she wasn't attractive to me- but I got why she was attractive to a lonely sweet man, that craves love...

As to being told she was attractive- I actually don't agree with that. I thought she looked very plain in the show. Jang Nara has very sweet features, but she is hardly a great beauty. I thought she was a perfect casting for the role. She actually looked a bit like a snail :) When LG told her, when he lost his memory, that he would never be with a woman like her, it was very believable. Because it wasn't just about her looks, but also about her demeanor. But there she again showed her unique type strength - she wasn't insulted, as she knew he loved her and she believed in him, so she just endured and waited for him to remember her... I loved it!

 

47 minutes ago, corey said:

Oh, I have almost forgotten about it! I never understood why they needed this particular plot device to bring the couple together. MY never really explains to LG that she had no part in it - why? And the guys are never held accountable - as if the end justifies the means

Yeah, the show had a few holes in it. Another one for me, was the relationship between Sera and LG- I didn't understand why they made them behave like they were sister and brother, and not lovers. This I don't get. 

 

47 minutes ago, corey said:

No no no no no no!!! I did not mean a  petulant girl at all! The ML is supposed to be cold at first (while maybe deep down attracted to her)- and the FL does not like him at all in the beginning - basically "Pride and Prejudice" dynamics of relationship.

Oh :) this is where I think we differ- I really don't like "Pride and Prejudice" :lol: the main female character grates on me... I think the only version of this that I liked was in "Clueless". 

 

47 minutes ago, corey said:

This is really something I also - like you - like a lot - where both characters warm up to each other and discover each other - well at some level FTLY was something like that where LG and MY ended up falling in love - but I do not really want to see another rich guy pushing around a poor girl (why K-Dramas often think it is necessary to have one party rich and othe other poor to have an interesting relationship??)

Well, as we've seen in FTLY, that depends on the execution. Can't really think of a another show of movie of this type that I liked...

 

47 minutes ago, corey said:

Anyway, we all know chances are slim JH will do something like that next.

 It's very hard to predict what JH will do next, isn't it? I trust him to create a great character but I want a good story too, as will all do. WHY IS THAT SO DIFFICULT!! :tears:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 23.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Prettysup

    3457

  • azureblue7

    3425

  • Biology Lesson

    2247

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had to show my friends on here one of my Christmas presents  Hope you all had a blessed Christmas.  

Finally got to watch Hyuk's movie on the big screen! Guess it was not surprising that I saw more men than women watching the movie. Probably the genre appeals more to male audience. Anyway, I was supe

Hi, everyone!  I'm Darla. I am new here and have browsed a bit but haven't posted before. I didn't discover Jang Hyuk until recently and have been making my way through his dramas after first seeing h

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

One more old article about him

 

 

What do they mean "JH's horse"? Does JH bring his own horse on a production, or do they mean the horse that is assigned to him in the specific production? I would like to see more of JH's interaction with horses, he sounds like a horse whisperer...  :)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, corey said:

and this happens in many K-Dramas (and C-Dramas, too!) and the show tells the audience that a very beautiful woman woman is ugly, and sometimes to convince us they make the girl wear glasses. Anyway, I am not a fan of MY in FTLY, but that is my opinion only of course

Because if the woman is ugly in real life, she won't get a chance to be casted as FL in a love story. This explains why the need for actresses to go for PS, actors too.

 

1 hour ago, corey said:

Oh, I have almost forgotten about it! I never understood why they needed this particular plot device to bring the couple together. MY never really explains to LG that she had no part in it - why? And the guys are never held accountable - as if the end justifies the means

There's bound to have flaws in every script. No drama has a perfect script. Is how much we're willing to accept those flaws. Me too find this part of the storyline unexplainable. And logicless too. 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, corey said:

MY never really explains to LG that she had no part in it - why?

Actually, did she even know he thought she was part of the plotting? I thought it was only an assumption he made And he became resentful of her but I don’t remember him actually telling her that he thinks she was in it together... I could be wrong though. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Oh, when you click on the IG post, there's a translation button that you can click on at the bottom of the captions.:)

 

Anyway, the last part of the interview mentioned that he likes actor Ethan Hawk as he seems like a poet living in the city, having simple yet different perspectives in thinking and who gives people the feeling like he prefers freedom than making many plans. Hyuk mentioned that he is also not the kind to plan a lot. Because he is an actor, he knows what the public  and  the entertainment business want. But all he want is to express his own things. In the future, it is important to maintain this balance.

 

The interview is very hard to understand... not just the bad automatic translation, but as usual- the way JH expresses things is so complex. He is very hard to understand...

 

Another, simple quote from the interview I found interesing " I want to try people with disabilities, either physically or mentally, or even vicious villains." Explains why he took "The sworsman"... Also, connects with our idea of PTSD...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Oh, when you click on the IG post, there's a translation button that you can click on at the bottom of the captions.:)

 

Anyway, the last part of the interview mentioned that he likes actor Ethan Hawk as he seems like a poet living in the city, having simple yet different perspectives in thinking and who gives people the feeling like he prefers freedom than making many plans. Hyuk mentioned that he is also not the kind to plan a lot. Because he is an actor, he knows what the public  and  the entertainment business want. But all he want is to express his own things. In the future, it is important to maintain this balance.

 

Thanks yea sometime translation can be hit or miss on ig.   This confirms what we've been talking about.  We have no doubt he can play those popular roles, but as an actor it's more fun to experiment.  I think it also goes back to what he said about age to where he can pick the roles now that he wants vs later less choice.  

 

Animals are very intuitive so I'm not surprise they listen to him and can feel his earnestness/kindred spirit.  He actually makes the effort to communicate and is not just giving orders.  This alone shows he's different.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

What do they mean "JH's horse"? Does JH bring his own horse on a production, or do they mean the horse that is assigned to him in the specific production? I would like to see more of JH's interaction with horses, he sounds like a horse whisperer...  :)

I think it should the horse assigned to him? Maybe that's why he is spending time to bond with it so that it will listen to him.

 

16 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

Thanks yea sometime translation can be hit or miss on ig.   This confirms what we've been talking about.  We have no doubt he can play those popular roles, but as an actor it's more fun to experiment.  I think it also goes back to what he said about age to where he can pick the roles now that he wants vs later less choice.  

 

Animals are very intuitive so I'm not surprise they listen to him and can feel his earnestness/kindred spirit.  He actually makes the effort to communicate and is not just giving orders.  This alone shows he's different.

I agree. I guess he is still trying to achieve that balance between doing what he wants and what the audience wants.

 

He really spends time building rapport with his co stars, animals included..hehe.. I wonder if he spends time cuddling little dimsum too?

 

 

  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

This confirms what we've been talking about.  We have no doubt he can play those popular roles, but as an actor it's more fun to experiment.  I think it also goes back to what he said about age to where he can pick the roles now that he wants vs later less choice

Perhaps after all... it’s not that he’s not being offered the roles we or the generic audience want to see, but he is rejecting the so called “popular” roles? Perhaps?

  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

He actually makes the effort to communicate and is not just giving orders.  This alone shows he's different.

Just for your info, I happened to listen to an interview yesterday about a production (C drama) which involved 14 horses. The ML whose been assigned 1 horse, had to spend nearly 1 month training & bonding with the horse. It's not just going to the film site & give orders to the horse. And because animals are unpredictable & most difficult to film, the trainer is always on hand incase the horse decides to gallop away when it's supposed to be doing stunts. :sweatingbullets:Actors who needed to work with horse & if the horse needed to do stunts with the actor onboard, have to spend time training & bonding with the horse. This is what I heard in the interview.

 

Btw, has he worked with dogs before? I don't mind if he works with dog. :grimace:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Just for your info, I happened to listen to an interview yesterday about a production (C drama) which involved 14 horses. The ML whose been assigned 1 horse, had to spend nearly 1 month training & bonding with the horse. It's not just going to the film site & give orders to the horse. And because animals are unpredictable & most difficult to film, the trainer is always on hand incase the horse decides to gallop away when it's supposed to be doing stunts. :sweatingbullets:Actors who needed to work with horse & if the horse needed to do stunts with the actor onboard, have to spend time training & bonding with the horse. This is what I heard in the interview.

Yea, I know it takes time to bond and I've seen actors train with animals before.  I'm just saying common initial mistake for many when they focus more on getting the horse to do something vs understanding/respect/appreciation for the horse.

 

Dog scene in FTLY for sure.

 

I'm sure he'll be fine with dogs too

70146a04fc836f549a7329a550a74c4e.jpg

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going over the Money flower thread and I ran into this interview with the PD of MF. She said some interesting things that may answer some of our questions about JH:

" In MoneyFlower as well, he did not try to make shallow appeals for female audience."- This might explain JH not trying to look attractive, and at time actually changing his look so he would look less attractive. Damn it! :) 

 

"Other actor may have tried to compete with JangSeungJo's character Jang BuCheon, but he didn't. He was clear on the stance: "This scene is for SeungJo to shine, and I should support him"."- this is what I thought about Chuno. I've heard of so many leads who felt threatened by another actor on set, and would demand that their role would be cut or that they would be made to look less attractive. And I thought that any other actor might have felt threatened by OJH looks and height. But not JH. Instead JH went out of his way to help OJH to look good in the fighting scenes, making him look like he was an actual equal in the fighting department to Daegil. That shows how confident and what a team player JH is...

 

This is the director describing her fear of the show failing and embarassing JH- "I felt more responsibility. I could not let this weekend drama harm his career. I wanted to make a drama that won't embarrass him.
He told me in the beginning, "So what if we fail? It doesn't matter. If we are going to fail, we are going to fail enjoying ourselves."
 -
I'm sure JH cares if a show succedes or fails, but he seems to care more about the quality and having fun :) Tells me that what he chooses a role he looks less for a sure bet in terms of ratings, but rather a fun challenge.

 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

This is the director describing her fear of the show failing and embarassing JH- "I felt more responsibility. I could not let this weekend drama harm his career. I wanted to make a drama that won't embarrass him.
He told me in the beginning, "So what if we fail? It doesn't matter. If we are going to fail, we are going to fail enjoying ourselves."
 -
I'm sure JH cares if a show succedes or fails, but he seems to care more about the quality and having fun :) Tells me that what he chooses a role he looks less for a sure bet in terms of ratings, but rather a fun challenge.

 

I think it's a good mentality to have especially for an actor's sanity.  Many highs and lows in the business. If you weigh too much on it you can easily go in these deep depression so I think it's a more balance approach.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Was there a dog in FTLY? I can't remember....hahaha! I only remember the dog in TY which he kicked the dog house! :triumph:

Yea they were trying to get ring back.  It was in the beginning of the series when they first met and got chase by the dog.  In the BTS they try to get the dog to come, but it wouldn't was kind of funny too.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

Yea they were trying to get ring back.  It was in the beginning of the series when they first met and got chase by the dog.  In the BTS they try to get the dog to come, but it wouldn't was kind of funny too.

Oh yes! I totally forgot about the dog! :blink:

 

24 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

He played with a puppy in Robber too!

I really forgot about the dog in Robber too! I'm old. :confused:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Oh yes! I totally forgot about the dog! :blink:

 

I really forgot about the dog in Robber too! I'm old. :confused:

It's ok that's what the forum is for.  Resources combine and remind each other.

  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Sushimi said:

So I watched iris 2 apart from his hair...I really love the looks of him in a hoodie! He walks around so stylish..but the ending is bad..it’s...my god...It’s like my hopes & dreams matches with the ending..phewwww booommmmm

Yea, I had same issue.  It defeats the purpose of his father's sacrifice and what he wanted to avoid for his son.  Maybe brain thing was going nowhere so better to let hero go out with bang.  Still, think they could of chosen a different way.  What are you going to watch next or are you done already?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Prettysup changed the title to Jang Hyuk 장혁 - current variety 'National Bang Bang Cook Cook', upcoming movie 'Tomb of the River’
  • Admin locked and unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..