23 minutes ago, corey said:

But have you checked the kiss in My Private Life? end of ep 9 beginning of ep 10? With PMY? The girl surely knows how to kiss! Please see it and tell me what you saw thought!

Ok I went and looked for the kiss. It is definitely a good kiss for kdrama standards but I want MORE. I want more passion. Im glad she is not drunk and so glad that she touched him but there’s still some mechanical movements. It was nice and gentle (I suppose it suits the context) but I want a bit more rawwwr you know? I definitely want more :P 

@Sushimi By the end of FTLY Lee Gun’s look was a royal mess again and I didn’t care anymore. He could do no wrong in my eyes :wub:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, corey said:

Have you thought that this behaviour of actresses is actually the result of PD's decision? I am watching "I'll go to you when the weather is nice" and at the end of ep. 8 there is a kiss - and someone posted BTS for the kiss scene in the drama thread. And there is a very revealing moment here. The leads are rehearsing the scene and Park Min Young only half-jokingly puts her hand at the side of her lead's face, only to be admonished by PD and she quickly takes away her hand back to the standard female pose for kissing in K-dramas (fist clenching, or at best, gripping the ML's sleeves or his shirt/jacket near his kidneys). So, PMY was trying to be sassy and sexy but PD did not allow that!!!!!

And watching this BTS made me realize just how horribly uncomfortable any kissing scenes are, no wonder JH does not want to do it any more.

That sounds incredibly stupid! Why would a PD do that?! Is it because of fear of censorship? Maybe in that specific scene that you saw the woman was supposed to be shy, maybe it was a first kiss? Don't know. I swear I can't understand the little girl, virginal obsession that K-dramas seem to have!

On the other hand, you can look at the BTS of some scenes in FTLY, and it's very clear that they are trying to JNR feel more comfortable with doing a kiss scene (yeah, she was comfortable with JH, but not that comfortable... :) ). Like I've just seen the BTS of the kiss after the auction, and it's clear that at first they were going to do a pretend kiss from how they were setting up the kiss (JH's hair hiding their faces). I have no idea what led to her doing that actual kiss. Also, in the BTS of the kiss at the press conference, you can see that MY was supposed to grab LG's face, but JNR couldn't bring herself to do it (at one point she grabbed his ears :)  ), so at the end she just grabbed his shoulders. So I guess in depends on the PD...

But I don't think in those specific scenes that I've seen it was a direction decision, because the scenes were supposed to be passionate. It was the actresses body language that revealed their discomfort.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@phoenix24 I loooove these FMV and I had not seen that last one! Awwwww Bangwon was so purrrrrrrfect!!! How sexy was this man! And yeah I’ve developed a Banghwi fever due to these videos lol

My only problem with this ship is that Hwi was so boring... We were being told that this guy is a fierce a and loyal warrior, but his acting never reflected that. It was Bang won that was injecting him with more importance and meaning than was established by the show. One of the reasons the show annoyed me so much. 

• Like 2
  • Unamused 1
  • LOL 1

8 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

My only problem with this ship is that Hwi was so boring... We were being told that this guy is a fierce a and loyal warrior, but his acting never reflected that. It was Bang won that was injecting him with more importance and meaning than was established by the show. One of the reasons the show annoyed me so much. 

Why must you burst my Banghwi bubble with your truths? -_-

P.S Im ok with Banghwi being one sided, with only Bangwon giving those passionate stares, Im in a drought and I’ll take anythinggggg at this point. 

• LOL 4

9 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Why must you burst my Banghwi bubble with your truths? -_-

P.S Im ok with Banghwi being one sided, with only Bangwon giving those passionate stares, Im in a drought and I’ll take anythinggggg at this point. 

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to do that... :P You can ship them all you want! I guess It was the only meaningful relationship he had in the show... But as ships go, I think the one from WOL is more established, now that I've seen them in bed together :D

@dramafan33 I'm with you! I crave a good passionate show from JH. Not like those icky scenes we get in korean films, but something emotional and sexy. And he knows! How dare he do that sexy shoot with the open white shirt while lying on that sofa, and then give us nothing in his shows?! Like he didn't know how suggestive that shoot was... how dare he?! :tears:

Jang Hyuk Displays Manliness With Open Shirt @ HanCinema :: The ...

• Like 1
  • Naughty 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

@dramafan33 I'm with you! I crave a good passionate show from JH. Not like those icky scenes we get in korean films, but something emotional and sexy. And he knows! How dare he do that sexy shoot with the open white shirt while lying on that sofa, and then give us nothing in his shows?! Like he didn't know how suggestive that shoot was... how dare he?! :tears:

Lol! And this expression...

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

We already know they have crazy good chemistry and she is really comfortable with him, so I think they can do something really interesting together... 

He did say he wanted to act Dong Fang Bu Bai (东方不败) with her. In English title is called Invincible East, is a chinese fictional character in a Wuxia novel.

VIP (I heard she was great but Im not too curious about this subject matter) Just superficially I get the feeling these characters were different but still, have that JNR signature 

Me read & heard she got good chemistry with the ML in VIP. Their kiss scene is more kiss than in FTLY so I heard.

5 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I didn't even try any of her shows. I guess I am only interested in her when she is with JH, and even then... I still haven't watched Bright Girl's Success (in the clips that I've seen she looks very annoying) or Old goodbye (looks depressing).

I didn't even like the drama SSBG even though I finished it. Thought the acting was too exaggerated. But what can we expect, both were young & kinda newbies. I didn't like Old Goodbye too. Don't like this sort of plot.

I recently saw this random clip from a show, and there was kiss scene there that I guess was supposed to be passionate, but you could sense the intense discomfort from the actress.

I think we spoke about kiss scenes before (afew pages back). From what I hear from C actors during interviews, kiss scenes are a torture. They will try to avoid it or ask the Director if can cancel a particular kiss scene from the script. What you sense as discomfort from the actress, perhaps they had already kissed many many rounds & yet Director-nim is still unhappy. The more the couple kiss, the more awkward it will become, trying to make it look passionate, at the same time, it's so technical because their mouths are moving, but their ears are listening to the Director-nim saying "move your head to the right" or "change angle" or "tilt your head abit" & the many crew infront of you holding the lights, the white board, the camera, etc.

Or maybe is the actor/actress themselves didn't want to do kiss scenes esp if the actress is married or actor is married. For me, I think JH is avoiding it more for his children because they're growing up. Or who knows, maybe wife said "hey, the children are growing up"....

How dare he do that sexy shoot with the open white shirt while lying on that sofa, and then give us nothing in his shows?!

When I look at this pic, I think of the movie "for your eyes only" and the song too. It's a 1981 movie. Imagine a woman climbs on top of him while he looks like this. Hahaha! :tounge_wink:Will never get this kind of scene in his drama.

• LOL 2
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

He did say he wanted to act Dong Fang Bu Bai (东方不败) with her. In English title is called Invincible East, is a chinese fictional character in a Wuxia novel.

Hmmm... What?! I just checked who that character is, and it says that he castrated himself to become a great warrior! :crazy: In wikipedia it is said that "His name has also become virtually synonymous with homosexuality and LGBT sexual orientations in Chinese popular culture". Why would a castrated man be synonymous with homosexuality?! And Jang Hyuk wants to play a castrated character ?! Hmmm... no!

Me read & heard she got good chemistry with the ML in VIP. Their kiss scene is more kiss than in FTLY so I heard.

OK, checked that kiss. You are right, it's more intense than in FTLY as she is more aggressive. Looks like JNR had no problem grabbing this actor's face...

I think we spoke about kiss scenes before (afew pages back). From what I hear from C actors during interviews, kiss scenes are a torture. They will try to avoid it or ask the Director if can cancel a particular kiss scene from the script. What you sense as discomfort from the actress, perhaps they had already kissed many many rounds & yet Director-nim is still unhappy. The more the couple kiss, the more awkward it will become, trying to make it look passionate, at the same time, it's so technical because their mouths are moving, but their ears are listening to the Director-nim saying "move your head to the right" or "change angle" or "tilt your head abit" & the many crew infront of you holding the lights, the white board, the camera, etc. 

I'm sure it's the same in any entertainment industry, but only in Kdramas did I notice this stiffness. I never noticed that in american, British, or Latin american dramas. Maybe a random stiff kiss, but not like in Kdramas. I haven't seen C drama so maybe it is a cultural thing..

When I look at this pic, I think of the movie "for your eyes only" and the song too. It's a 1981 movie. Imagine a woman climbs on top of him while he looks like this. Hahaha! :tounge_wink:Will never get this kind of scene in his drama.

Oh, don't say that!.... You are probably right, we're not gonna get a scene like that in a his dramas, are we? :tears:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Oh I know that movie.  Sounds close in Vietnamese too.

Her lead in VIP is Sang Yun, but I feel actually chemistry better in behind the scenes and on variety show.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Hmmm... What?! I just checked who that character is, and it says that he castrated himself to become a great warrior! :crazy: In wikipedia it is said that "His name has also become virtually synonymous with homosexuality and LGBT sexual orientations in Chinese popular culture". Why would a castrated man be synonymous with homosexuality?! And Jang Hyuk wants to play a castrated character ?! Hmmm... no!

So far the few Invincible East drama that I saw (C drama), are acted by Women. In asia, drama with homosexuality or LGBT sexual orientations will not be well received. So perhaps the main cast (the one who is super highly skilled in martial arts) the producers changed to women. Perhaps JNR can act as the one who is invincible & JH acts the one she is in love with. 

52 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

OK, checked that kiss. You are right, it's more intense than in FTLY as she is more aggressive. Looks like JNR had no problem grabbing this actor's face...

Ok I got curious so I checked it out. I think it does help that both aren't married so they don't carry the "marriage baggage" with them. With JH, he's married. He's conscious of his marital status, she'll be too.

I'm sure it's the same in any entertainment industry, but only in Kdramas did I notice this stiffness. I never noticed that in american, British, or Latin american dramas. Maybe a random stiff kiss, but not like in Kdramas. I haven't seen C drama so maybe it is a cultural thing..

It's asian cultural thing. Viewers put lots emphasis on kiss scenes. It's like a big deal that the couple is kissing. When these C actors go to press conf, people ask abt their kissing. Who cares about character in the drama? But people care about the kisses. :tears:

Oh, don't say that!.... You are probably right, we're not gonna get a scene like that in a his dramas, are we? :tears:

Actually right, the sex scenes he did in EOL & Thorn, is such a put off. I rather he just did scenes like this, a woman climb on top of him, is even more sexy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, budgerie said:

So far the few Invincible East drama that I saw (C drama), are acted by Women. In asia, drama with homosexuality or LGBT sexual orientations will not be well received. So perhaps the main cast (the one who is super highly skilled in martial arts) the producers changed to women. Perhaps JNR can act as the one who is invincible & JH acts the one she is in love with. 

Oh, so he wants her to play the invincible warrior, that was originally a woman and not a man that castrated himself?! Well, that makes even less sense, since she is so petite and dainty, and has no background in martial arts... The whole thing sounds horrible... Maybe JH was joking...

7 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Actually right, the sex scenes he did in EOL & Thorn, is such a put off. I rather he just did scenes like this, a woman climb on top of him, is even more sexy.

It's not just the sex scenes in those movies. It's also that the characters had no emotional connection. It was just cold.

Well, the scene in VIP was actually quite hot, I wonder if JH could work with the same director...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Oh, so he wants her to play the invincible warrior, that was originally a woman and not a man that castrated himself?! Well, that makes even less sense, since she is so petite and dainty, and has no background in martial arts... The whole thing sounds horrible... Maybe JH was joking...

You see if you can find the interview. It was the interview when they were in Taiwan, celebration for the successful filming of FTLY. The original FTLY is a taiwanese drama.

In the novel, it's a man. But novel (you can write anything) in drama, can be sensitive in asian culture. IDK why it's ok for women to dress or act as a man but a man to act as a lady is not so well received.

I think (if I remember correctly), JH said that JNR can act more than just romance roles. He sees her potential & wants to act with her in Invincible East to see the different side of JNR.

It's not just the sex scenes in those movies. It's also that the characters had no emotional connection. It was just cold.

I don't recall JH actually kissing passionately in his drama. Most of the time, the kissing is after crying.

Well, the scene in VIP was actually quite hot, I wonder if JH could work with the same director...

I didn't get your earlier post. Something about people shipping JH with SY? Or did I read wrongly? I didn't know there was this ship.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Don't get me started... we have the same problem, and I totally agree with you.   Hwi and BW had so many scenes together that I can't bring myself to re-watch My Country.  I can't see why BW trust him so much, and that is annoying.  

And talking about kiss scene, I really miss JH in this.  Will we ever see JH in a rom-com like this again?  With his now gorgeous long hair?

• Like 3

@corey I am 300% sure JH is not responsible for stripping TMWYS from a “romantic” or “emotional” angle. First, Im sure there was NEVER an intention from writers and PD to suggest any romance between OHJ and SY. This is how OCN dramas are. But yes, there was an “emotional” connection that was mostly, if you notice carefully in the way the actors looked at each other and their voices. It was JH who created that feeling of “chemistry” even in scenes where they didn’t film together (as Sooyoung said herself) 

JH, as we have seen throughout his career and interviews would not shy away from any kind of character situation if the script makes sense to him, and that includes kissing and sex scenes. When he did Thorn, he was already married with kids, and this was a story of a teacher having an affair with a student. In the original scenario he does “fall” for her and even goes on dates with her (no actual sex, otherwise the ”twist” doesn’t quite work) Anyway, why are we saying that JH would shy away from adult scenes when he did a movie which was actually this controversial? In Thorn, btw, it was the stupid director who stripped the story of all emotion (on purpose) thus ruining it. To me the scenes were actually ok visually? No need to see his bum in bright light, the problem with that movie was lack of emotion, not lack of sex

JH is all about romance and emotion, he would not ruin a story “not to offend his wife”. His wife has always been there when he did all those things! 

Also, the scenes where Daegil and Unnuyn keep staring at each other longingly after they found themselves again, while she was already married, many of those were added at JHs suggestion. The writer did not include many of those so the idea of breaking my heart in tiny pieces with his unrequited love, was JHs, again, the King of unrequited love and pain. This is the kinda stuff he loves! Or do you think he does dramas for those “cool” action moves and to look badass? He is more preoccupied with breaking our hearts, trust me (there is a reason he is not 100% satisfied with TMWYS) 

@Biology Lesson ROTFL at the castrated character suggestion! Does he want to torture us? :lol:

Ok but you know what I like about his crazy suggestion? That he is casual about touching on LBGTQ-ish subjects which once again supports my idea that he’ll do about anything for a role, as long as it stirs emotions. I know k-audience is far away from accepting something like that, but the fact that he’ll suggest it, I find it cool. 

I bet you know this but I’ll repeat it for the new people. In his book, he said that people thought he felt regret when he “lost” Secret Garden. He said that by time he was already cured from that feeling of “losing a part” because he felt it strongly when he lost “The King and the Clown”. He was already casted for the role of the guy who played opposite Lee Jun Ki, when the whole military scandal happened. Lee Jun Ki played a boy who dressed like a woman and acted very feminine (he was very pretty btw) The crazy promiscuous king of those times became obsessed with this boy and what would’ve been JHs character, was the protector of this boy. They were both clowns. I remember liking this movie but I watched it a long time ago. Anyway he said losing that movie did hurt him (adding to the fact, the circumstances in which he lost it) and I’m like, that was totally a BL story. He would’ve played the more “masculine” character but still, the relationship between the clowns was definitely much more than a bromance. 

In fact that character had a similar vibe to Daegil, and I believe JH said that, he thinks it was fate that he didn’t do this character or otherwise he wouldn’t have fought so much to play Daegil. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

ol. 

I bet you know this but I’ll repeat it for the new people. In his book, he said that people thought he felt regret when he “lost” Secret Garden. He said that by time he was already cured from that feeling of “losing a part” because he felt it strongly when he lost “The King and the Clown”. He was already casted for the role of the guy who played opposite Lee Jun Ki, when the whole military scandal happened. Lee Jun Ki played a boy who dressed like a woman and acted very feminine (he was very pretty btw) The crazy promiscuous king of those times became obsessed with this boy and what would’ve been JHs character, was the protector of this boy. They were both clowns. I remember liking this movie but I watched it a long time ago. Anyway he said losing that movie did hurt him (adding to the fact, the circumstances in which he lost it) and I’m like, that was totally a BL story. He would’ve played the more “masculine” character but still, the relationship between the clowns was definitely much more than a bromance. 

In fact that character had a similar vibe to Daegil, and I believe JH said that, he thinks it was fate that he didn’t do this character or otherwise he wouldn’t have fought so much to play Daegil. 

Oh now I'm imagining how Jh would of play the role in the movie.  Speaking of Lee Jun Ki, did you see the bts of when the king kiss him?  He wasn't told and he was so professional and held it in through the scene, but you can tell he was upset.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

Oh now I'm imagining how Jh would of play the role in the movie.  Speaking of Lee Jun Ki, did you see the bts of when the king kiss him?  He wasn't told and he was so professional and held it in through the scene, but you can tell he was upset.

Woah I had not seen that! Yikes! Why would they allow such a thing? Ugh!! Well after seeing VH bts I’m not surprised about anything anymore

• Like 1

JH, as we have seen throughout his career and interviews would not shy away from any kind of character situation if the script makes sense to him, and that includes kissing and sex scenes. When he did Thorn, he was already married with kids, and this was a story of a teacher having an affair with a student.

JH is all about romance and emotion, he would not ruin a story “not to offend his wife”. His wife has always been there when he did all those things! 

(Just guessing this) When he did Thorn, his eldest was 6 years old (pre school age). Followed by the 2nd one being 5 years old. Hardly the age to know anything about intimacy. 

However, situation changes as children grow. Ok his wife was ok with it before, but she might not be ok with it now. Now his eldest is 12 years old, followed by 11 years old. They're old enough to be playing with the internet or handphone. It would not be seen as appropriate for them to see their father doing something intimate for the public to see. His children friends might talk about it or might teased them about it that their father has a butt exposed. This is not impossible.

And also, as men age, they get more conservative. Maybe the reason why he hasn't accepted any really intimate drama since EOL in 2015. That time, his 1st son was 7 years old. Just about the time to enter into elementary school. Home situation changes accordingly when kids grow.

• Like 3