2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

I find their comments very interesting, besides this reincarnation, there is also the LBW ghost, and asking the writer to bow to JH and the director etc

Yes their comments are very interesting... I think it's in their culture to talk about "reincarnation" or "ghost" when someone does well in something haha. Maybe it's just weird for us but normal for them. I'm so happy too that the media is praising him. Not that it makes it anymore truer but it's good to get public acknowledgement. 

Although I sincerely hopes he gets an award for this role, I also think the chances are very low, given that 1) this is on a cable channel (i think cable channels don't have their own award shows and it is combined with the larger awards like Baeksang drama awards or Korea Drama Awards), 2) it is not a lead role 3) the ratings are not that high. 

One of the knetz commented that if the ratings were very high he may have gotten a Daesang already, which I think is true. Nowadays Daesang are given to not just those with good acting, but the show needs to have high ratings and high buzz as well. Unfortunately alot of great actors miss out base on that measure. 

1 hour ago, nyk said:

That last scene in ep.12 is super heart rending. His father cursed on him to have a lonely death. I feel SAD for YBW. Although he succeeded what he wants but the grief inside... :tears:

Well said! In such little scenes with no context told nor shown like how the main leads have the privilege of being told their whole backstory, Lee Bang Won aka JH here succeeds in those mere minutes to show us the grief he experiences from not being appreciated by his father. JH is such a great actor, we are so fortunate to have seen him as LBW!

2 hours ago, budgerie said:

JH is a catholic. He mentioned it at Friends in Croatia. He and Ki Sub. 

Really? I never knew it! This is new information for me again :D haha. I always thought he was atheist or Buddhist. I need to start catching up on his variety shows to know him a little better!

1 hour ago, nyk said:

It is impossible if he will bite his tounge like he said in DB. lol 

YIKES. Bite his tongue so that he is in pain and the veins pop out? I HOPE NOT! :unsure: Doesn't sound like something sustainable and healthy at all... I do wonder though how he does those glistening eyes like @azureblue7 mentioned. Like how do actors drop tears so easily or make themselves choked up with tears as and when they need to?? Specifically, I wonder how JH does it! 

I know some actors cry easily, but some others would use the technique of thinking of a very painful period in their lives... but then again to do it exactly at a point when you're acting, with all the script memorizing and technicalities behind the scene... is so difficult...

• Like 4

@azureblue7 I hope you don't mind me referencing your IG post here! Would like to talk about this scene! 

*SPOILERS AHEAD* 

I loved loved loved this scene below. It was pretty unexpected, how LBW came in and "did the deed" for Hwi. I initially thought he was going to block Hwi from killing NJ (not sure why I thought so too haha, maybe I didn't expect them to kill off NJ yet in the show), but instead, he did it on behalf of Hwi! And then I remember thinking to myself - was that the right thing for LBW to do? He took away Hwi's whole purpose of living - which is to kill NJ - away from Hwi himself! How will Hwi then find satisfaction in revenging for his sister? But no, LBW came back with a noble reasoning for it - he was protecting Hwi, seeing how Hwi was struggling to do it, and he didn't want Hwi to experience regret for the rest of his life. This scene really showcased 2 things:
1. LBW really has Hwi's interest in his heart
2. LBW REALLY regretted killing Poeun, and he didn't feel good about it despite people's perception that he was cruel by doing so. It showed the humanistic side of LBW that was not verbalized to anyone other than his father and in this scene, Hwi.

And can I say that LBW's anger and ruthless expression after he slashed NJ was so believable (and so so handsome :sweatingbullets:).

On another note, like someone mentioned in the previous post... I wonder if Hwi and LBW's relationship will be shaken, given that Hwi seemed to be horrified that LBW "killed" the crown prince. If they really part on bad terms, then poor LBW again, it may not be him disposing of Hwi (he said he will never abandon his man), but Hwi abandoning LBW due to not wanting to have anything to do with building the kingdom anymore. I somehow hope that they manage to come together again when the 2nd Strife happens, and for him to support LBW! For now, Sun Ho seems to be on Bang Gan's side. 

All in all, episode 11-12 was great for me because of how much impact LBW had in those episodes. The scene above has got to be my favorite scene of Episode 12. And then my fav scene in episode 11 was the last 10 mins of the show, the confrontation with his father and the cutting off of the bridge. Anyone of you have your favorite scenes? Do share! Would love to hear.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, budgerie said:

Sorry I just got frustrated watching ep 12.  

I don't think you need to apologize. Even though I think JH's performance is brilliant, and in a way I'm glad for him he took this role, it still doesn't mean the show is good. We see all the plot holes and the bad editing. I think the show is suffering the most from its lack of focus. The attempt to inject fictional characters into a true story and make them the leads results in the story itself being hurt. I know that for myself- I wouldn't have watched this show if it wasn't for JH. Even if I tried watching, I would have stopped by the second episode.

What is very clear from this whole story is that JH knows what he's doing :)  Even with WOL, he probably had a good reason to take that role that we are not aware of. Success of a show is something that is beyond anyone's control, as there are so many aspects influencing it. But what I am very pleased about is that now it seems that JH's name has become synonymous with "Quality". "God acting" and all that :) 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2

41 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

All in all, episode 11-12 was great for me because of how much impact LBW had in those episodes. The scene above has got to be my favorite scene of Episode 12. And then my fav scene in episode 11 was the last 10 mins of the show, the confrontation with his father and the cutting off of the bridge. Anyone of you have your favorite scenes? Do share! Would love to hear.

The scenes you have mentioned are my favourites too! The few scenes where he appeared are all really powerful! I also love this scene below.

I really wondered how YBW felt when he heard his father's sobbing. His eyes seemed to be saying, why the king had to force him to go on this path and  the anguish he must have endured. 

When I rewatched some of JH's scenes in deep rooted tree, I realised his acting has really reached a new level. It's like his 2nd "metamorphosis". First being his pre and post military service This 2nd one is post Money flower. Haha! 

His facial expression, use of voice and his movement are so charismatic and captivating to watch.

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1

54 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Yes their comments are very interesting... I think it's in their culture to talk about "reincarnation" or "ghost" when someone does well in something haha. Maybe it's just weird for us but normal for them.

he was atheist or Buddhist. 

Which culture in this world doesn't have concept of ghosts? :w00t:

Although after arrival of middle-eastern religions reincarnation seems to be living only within boundries of older eastern religions/cultures.

Regardless of their religious affiliations Korean still follow most of their native rites/traditions. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

54 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

@azureblue7 I hope you don't mind me referencing your IG post here! Would like to talk about this scene! 

*SPOILERS AHEAD* 

I loved loved loved this scene below. It was pretty unexpected, how LBW came in and "did the deed" for Hwi. I initially thought he was going to block Hwi from killing NJ (not sure why I thought so too haha, maybe I didn't expect them to kill off NJ yet in the show), but instead, he did it on behalf of Hwi! And then I remember thinking to myself - was that the right thing for LBW to do? He took away Hwi's whole purpose of living - which is to kill NJ - away from Hwi himself! How will Hwi then find satisfaction in revenging for his sister? But no, LBW came back with a noble reasoning for it - he was protecting Hwi, seeing how Hwi was struggling to do it, and he didn't want Hwi to experience regret for the rest of his life. This scene really showcased 2 things:
1. LBW really has Hwi's interest in his heart
2. LBW REALLY regretted killing Poeun, and he didn't feel good about it despite people's perception that he was cruel by doing so. It showed the humanistic side of LBW that was not verbalized to anyone other than his father and in this scene, Hwi.

And can I say that LBW's anger and ruthless expression after he slashed NJ was so believable (and so so handsome :sweatingbullets:).

Yeah JH was so cool when he slayed and killed NJ with just one stroke of his sword, as compared to Hwi who couldn’t manage to kill SH even after his sword pierced through his body! Ok joke aside, I was thinking the scriptwriter is really siding with JH,  giving him the most glamourising task of slaying the villain in the drama rather than to the male lead haha...

34 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I don't think you need to apologize. Even though I think JH's performance is brilliant, and in a way I'm glad for him he took this role, it still doesn't mean the show is good. We see all the plot holes and the bad editing. I think the show is suffering the most from its lack of focus. The attempt to inject fictional characters into a true story and make them the results in the story itself being hurt. I know that for myself- I wouldn't have watched this show if it wasn't for JH. Even if I tried watching, I would have stopped by the second episode.

What is very clear from this whole story is that JH knows what he's doing :)  Even with WOL, he probably had a good reason to take that role that we are not aware of. Success of a show is something that is beyond anyone's control, as there are so many aspects influencing it. But what I am very pleased about is that now it seems that JH's name has become synonymous with "Quality". "God acting" and all that :) 

He did mentioned that he took on WOL becoz he wanted a light hearted drama in between MF and Bad papa. Of coz it may not turn out very well, but we can’t deny Doo Chisung was a very charming character. As an actor he has to take certain gambles, can’t expect to strike all the time, some ups and downs are to be expected. See the hype surrounding YBW now, none of us expected it at all, probably not himself even. 

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

Yes their comments are very interesting... I think it's in their culture to talk about "reincarnation" or "ghost" when someone does well in something haha. Maybe it's just weird for us but normal for them. I'm so happy too that the media is praising him. Not that it makes it anymore truer but it's good to get public acknowledgement. 

Although I sincerely hopes he gets an award for this role, I also think the chances are very low, given that 1) this is on a cable channel (i think cable channels don't have their own award shows and it is combined with the larger awards like Baeksang drama awards or Korea Drama Awards), 2) it is not a lead role 3) the ratings are not that high. 

One of the knetz commented that if the ratings were very high he may have gotten a Daesang already, which I think is true. Nowadays Daesang are given to not just those with good acting, but the show needs to have high ratings and high buzz as well. Unfortunately alot of great actors miss out base on that measure. 

For awards, I dare not dream of a daesang with this role, but perhaps a Baeksang best supporting actor ? After all the ratings are not that bad for a JTBC drama, though I wish it could go up a bit. 

• Like 6

I really want to congratulate JH in this drama!  JH as YBW is not only powerful, its unbelievable! Like someone has commented, he's not acting, he's YBW himself.  The emotions he displayed is so raw you felt for him.  And the fighting scenes... wow I can't take my eyes off him.  He's so cool and suave.  The way he did the actions are so elegant, like how a prince would fight - so smooth and shift, and with power!

His performance in epi 12 is so good I felt like hugging him, and tell him 'You did well! More than well!' 

This is the reason why I'm smitten with this guy, and remain his fan.  He keeps out-doing himself.  When you think this is his best role, he comes out with another that surpassed your expectations.  Its so luxurious to watch him as YBW.  Everything is so good, but so short. 

Sign... if only this drama is YBW's story, I'll be satisfied.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jhjsw said:

I prefer binge watching. It's more engaging for me that way. Hehe. Besides, it'll only take me 2 to 3 days to finish a drama. I completed Beautiful Mind in less than a day. :lol:

Gosh! I would get a headache if I finish a drama in 1 day! 

Really? I never knew it! This is new information for me again :D haha. I always thought he was atheist or Buddhist. I need to start catching up on his variety shows to know him a little better!

You haven't watched Friends in Croatia? He is funny there. In DB he sort of acted the youngest because he is the youngest amongst them but in FIC, he acted like an older bro to Ki Sub. Not sure how old is Seung Hwan though.

There was this scene where they visited a church. JH said he is a catholic, whole family is. KS was surprised to find out too. 

YIKES. Bite his tongue so that he is in pain and the veins pop out? I HOPE NOT! :unsure: Doesn't sound like something sustainable and healthy at all... I do wonder though how he does those glistening eyes like @azureblue7 mentioned. Like how do actors drop tears so easily or make themselves choked up with tears as and when they need to?? Specifically, I wonder how JH does it! 

Didn't he say bite his tongue in DB? Heeheehee! But I don't think so or he would have got a sore tongue. Some artistes would listen to sad music, some would think of an event that happened in their life. I heard this from a C actress who is very good with crying scenes.

On another note, like someone mentioned in the previous post... I wonder if Hwi and LBW's relationship will be shaken, given that Hwi seemed to be horrified that LBW "killed" the crown prince. If they really part on bad terms, then poor LBW again, it may not be him disposing of Hwi (he said he will never abandon his man), but Hwi abandoning LBW due to not wanting to have anything to do with building the kingdom anymore. I somehow hope that they manage to come together again when the 2nd Strife happens, and for him to support LBW! For now, Sun Ho seems to be on Bang Gan's side. 

But Hwi had always made it clear that his motive is to kill NJ that's all. So after this mission is done with NJ dead, he has no reason to stick to BW anymore. 

Anyone of you have your favorite scenes? Do share! Would love to hear.

All of Bang Won scene is my favourite. Frustrating scene YES I have. :tears:

42 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

When I rewatched some of JH's scenes in deep rooted tree, I realised his acting has really reached a new level. It's like his 2nd "metamorphosis". First being his pre and post military service This 2nd one is post Money flower. Haha! 

Agree! His acting has reached a new level. I didn't find his pre military drama (acting) great. I only watched SOBG and bit of Windstruck. Improved alot in Thank You. I feel that his acting in MF is already 1 level up. And now this. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Yeah JH was so cool when he slayed and killed NJ with just one stroke of his sword, as compared to Hwi who couldn’t manage to kill SH even after his sword pierced through his body! Ok joke aside, I was thinking the scriptwriter is really siding with JH,  giving him the most glamourising task of slaying the villain in the drama rather than to the male lead haha...

Hwi was hesitating. Writer-nim wants to show the quick and decisive Bang Won. :blush:

He did mentioned that he took on WOL becoz he wanted a light hearted drama in between MF and Bad papa. Of coz it may not turn out very well, but we can’t deny Doo Chisung was a very charming character. As an actor he has to take certain gambles, can’t expect to strike all the time, some ups and downs are to be expected. See the hype surrounding YBW now, none of us expected it at all, probably not himself even. 

Ya he mentioned also he wanted to do a rom-com since it was 4 years since he did one. But please, there was no romance for him. :triumph:So angry with writer-nim. Forgot to pair him up with a girl. 

For awards, I dare not dream of a daesang with this role, but perhaps a Baeksang best supporting actor ? After all the ratings are not that bad for a JTBC drama, though I wish it could go up a bit. 

So if you are a supporting actor you cannot win a best actor award is it? Does it go this way?

7 minutes ago, AgnesO said:

And the fighting scenes... wow I can't take my eyes off him.  He's so cool and suave.  The way he did the actions are so elegant, like how a prince would fight - so smooth and shift, and with power!

Seriously I found his fighting scenes too little. He looked so good in the armour suit. Let him fight more! 

7 minutes ago, AgnesO said:

His performance in epi 12 is so good I felt like hugging him, and tell him 'You did well! More than well!' 

Sign... if only this drama is YBW's story, I'll be satisfied.  

Felt so sad for him when his father said he is only the #5 son. And how I like it when he told his father that he (the King) is enjoying seeing his children killing each other. Stupid King needs to be told off! Yup, if only this drama is about YBW. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, budgerie said:

So if you are a supporting actor you cannot win a best actor award is it? Does it go this way?

Seriously I found his fighting scenes too little. He looked so good in the armour suit. Let him fight more! 

Felt so sad for him when his father said he is only the #5 son. And how I like it when he told his father that he (the King) is enjoying seeing his children killing each other. Stupid King needs to be told off! Yup, if only this drama is about YBW. 

I think u can only be nominated for one category ? 

And yes I agree YBW has too little fighting scenes here. Maybe coz he’s a prince and has many underlings to do the fighting for him. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jhjsw said:

Luckily, all discussions about MF were in the MF thread and not in this thread. Avoiding spoilers for MF was almost unbearable but definitely worth it. Hahaha. 

I guess we could'nt praise JH too much in MC forum. Other artistes fans might not like it. :sweat_smile:

3 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

I remember in one BTS of Voice they were shooting near a 'haunted' house and JH was scared though I don't know for real or not.lols

Maybe real. Detective Moo is a human too. Lol. I also remembered he was uncomfortable filming swimming scene. He cannot swim is it? 

Oh I have to mention this, did you see the bts for Bad Papa - filming underwater? Think is for the poster. The lady who was in the water with JH, maybe his swimming instructor, tries to get too close for comfort. Maybe I am sensitive but I see she tries to be as close as possible. Hahaha! And he is topless! :yum:

3 hours ago, nyk said:

That last scene in ep.12 is super heart rending. His father cursed on him to have a lonely death. I feel SAD for YBW. Although he succeeded what he wants but the grief inside... :tears:

I think ep 13 will be exciting as the King will want to have a revenge. But I hope the writer don't change the story too much from the real story of Bang Won. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Haha, I've thought that's the end of SH when I saw the preview.  But he managed to survive!  That's the first time I saw a person survive after a sword pierced through him  :blink:

And ya JH is so cool with that decisive stroke of his sword that ended NJ B)

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Agree! His acting has reached a new level. I didn't find his pre military drama (acting) great. I only watched SOBG and bit of Windstruck. Improved alot in Thank You. I feel that his acting in MF is already 1 level up. And now this. 

TBH i don’t think his acting in MF is that great as compared to other works eg BM. The only reason why it has generated so much hype is due to its high ratings. Nobody will give it a damn if it flopped in the ratings department. But what to do, that’s just how the industry works.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I guess we could'nt praise JH too much in MC forum. Other artistes fans might not like it. :sweat_smile:

Maybe real. Detective Moo is a human too. Lol. I also remembered he was uncomfortable filming swimming scene. He cannot swim is it? 

Oh I have to mention this, did you see the bts for Bad Papa - filming underwater? Think is for the poster. The lady who was in the water with JH, maybe his swimming instructor, tries to get too close for comfort. Maybe I am sensitive but I see she tries to be as close as possible. Hahaha! And he is topless! :yum:

He can swim but is not a strong swimmer. 

5 minutes ago, AgnesO said:

Haha, I've thought that's the end of SH when I saw the preview.  But he managed to survive!  That's the first time I saw a person survive after a sword pierced through him  :blink:

And ya JH is so cool with that decisive stroke of his sword that ended NJ B)

Oh u should watch Faith with Lee Min ho, he had a sword ran through him but survived. My sister actually gave up in that drama coz she said it was too outrageous lol. But at least he had a doctor attending to him immediately and had emergency surgery to save his life. Nam Seon-ho was left bleeding alone and I was thinking he should have died of blood loss long ago. 

• LOL 2

2 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

I'm so happy too that the media is praising him. Not that it makes it anymore truer but it's good to get public acknowledgement. 

JH is going to be busy again I guess. I read in chinese article that when FTLY was very well received, netizens or media became curious about this man (again) after Daegil and started to find out about his private life (again) like who is his wife. How she looks like, etc....is he going to go through that again...??

11 minutes ago, AgnesO said:

I thought he was going to die too. Well if that sword is struck by Bang Won, he won't survive. Hahaha! Hwi is not decisive enough. Bang Won is. 

You know, hate this. Every time Seon Ho puts a sword at his father neck, but didn't kill him. How many times he told his father he will kill him but didn't!  

• Like 3

YIKES. Bite his tongue so that he is in pain and the veins pop out? I HOPE NOT! :unsure: Doesn't sound like something sustainable and healthy at all...

In DB, Jongkook asked him how he managed to cry and JH answered that he bite his tongue. lol I think he's just joking and maybe didn't want to give long explanation. :D

I loved loved loved this scene below. It was pretty unexpected, how LBW came in and "did the deed" for Hwi. I initially thought he was going to block Hwi from killing NJ

On another note, like someone mentioned in the previous post... I wonder if Hwi and LBW's relationship will be shaken, given that Hwi seemed to be horrified that LBW "killed" the crown prince. If they really part on bad terms, then poor LBW again, it may not be him disposing of Hwi (he said he will never abandon his man), but Hwi abandoning LBW due to not wanting to have anything to do with building the kingdom anymore.

Anyone of you have your favorite scenes? Do share! Would love to hear.

lol I almost got annoyed. Hwi was too slow to draw his sword. I was like " KILL HIM ALREADY!!" and suddenly YBW came in. I was surprised and happy YBW did it.  Since NJ is also his enemy and remember he even strangled YBW before.  

In episode 11, the scene YBW and Hwi drinking together. I feel that YBW was kind of sad when he asked if Hwi will leave him after he kill NJ. I see the loneliness in his eyes like someone is gonna leave him again. 

I like all JH scenes. My favorite scenes will be all the scenes with his father. very heart-rending but very great acting!!

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

I really wondered how YBW felt when he heard his father's sobbing. His eyes seemed to be saying, why the king had to force him to go on this path and  the anguish he must have endured. 

When I rewatched some of JH's scenes in deep rooted tree, I realised his acting has really reached a new level.

Yes everything happened results from the King. I think YBW's sadness in this scene is mixed of everything.

He is sad his father never appreciates or loves him. The King's cursed words tell it all. and he must be wondering if he dies will the King cries like this too? 

Honestly I don't know or it 's just me I think he was quite stiff in some scenes in Tree with deep roots. 

Although YBW role is very successful, I will still feel against if he will take supporting role in the future. His screen time in MC is not enough for me. 

But supporting role has its benefit. this is my opinion but I think one thing contributed to how JH can perfectly deliver every scene in MC with details because he has time to analyze and he has time to rest.  Let's say he can utilize all his skills for 3-5 scenes comparing to other dramas which he has to do with 20 scenes. it can be drained at some point. 

But after watching MC, I am craving fore more of his emotional scenes. I hope he has wide range of emotions in his next OCN drama. He's too good in MC. 

• Like 5

He can swim but is not a strong swimmer. 

Didn't he say he actually has a phobia of water since the filming of Windstruck? If I'm not mistaken he said that they had a scene in the water in which he almost drowned. 

I think this is the BTS of it. You can see the girl screaming out of panic in the beginning. JH is quiet, but I think this was really traumatizing to him. Also- notice that the girl is actually massaging his chest! I'm quite certain that's dangerous. This entire clip is horrifying...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

TBH i don’t think his acting in MF is that great as compared to other works eg BM. The only reason why it has generated so much hype is due to its high ratings. Nobody will give it a damn if it flopped in the ratings department. But what to do, that’s just how the industry works.

Yes I agree rating is what the industry is looking for. MF had everything! I am so glad JH acted in MF. Although the story is dark, but it managed to keep fans excited. MF was the only drama I didn't fast forward.  

His acting in BM was great definitely but unfortunately all other aspects wasn't. I still think it was not well received in Korea because of its genre. Maybe k audience like love and romance drama. JH acting aside, the writing for BM wasn't that great too.  

Hahaha...to me it is still Pil Joo first. Young Oh second. Dr Min third. Lol. 

12 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Nam Seon-ho was left bleeding alone and I was thinking he should have died of blood loss long ago. 

Seon Ho is also a sad character. He too wanted his father to recognise him. Precisely, he was left alone with blood oozing out. Wouldn't he die already of blood loss? I wonder if he would team up with Bang Won in ep 13 to fight against the King. Or would he team up with the King to fight Bang Won. Haiz...another week of waiting. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AgnesO said:

Oh this drama My Country has SO MANY scenes of people being stabbed and pierced through their bodies and they survive miraculously. The famous one is Sun Ho's right hand man, who survived being killed by Hwi at Liaodong after a ghastly stab, and then by Park Chi Do again in yesterday's episode. And now, Sun Ho had a sword pierce right through his body and he will survive. Many people in other platforms have commented about this too but I guess everyone has come to accept this pure absurdity... :rolleyes: It truly is one of the biggest flaws of the show. Just don't let the sword pierce the body if you don't intend for the character to die! Why dramatize is only to have them come back fine and dandy later zzzz.

29 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Haha I do love and felt his acting in MF was super though! But I can't compare it with BM yet as I have not watched it, will share more when I watch it after MC ends :P He had very nuanced acting in MF which I enjoyed alot. I read that he got criticized sometimes in the past for overdramatizing his acting, so I think MF showed people a very restrained but impactful side of JH that many did not watch. But yes I agree with you that the ratings made people notice him alot more, it wasn't that he was not capable of that acting in the past (like BM that you mentioned), but just not many people watched it to comment on his great acting. I really hope he gets to work with the PD from MF again. I felt that the style in which she directed the show (like close-up shots, slow-motions and the use of music at the right times) really elevated the already great performances of the actors. 

• Like 3

I’m not going to argue that My Country is “not bad” because what’s the point? Its a matter of taste. But, I will say, I enjoy the whole drama very much and I’m not seeing all the “flaws” you point out. All sageuk makes me go check wikipedia by leaving historical facts out, thats just how it is because these are not documentaries. History is only a context here. Also, all fusion sageuk includes fictional characters and events and many times the fictional characters are the leads, Tree with deep roots, Rebel, and many many others. But anyway we could go on forever. When a drama doesn’t click with you, no argument will change your perception. I just wanted to say, there’s many of us who actually would qualify this drama as “good”. Not perfect, but the good far outweighs the bad imo, especially the acting, characterization, camera work, production value, atmosphere, etc 

SPOILERS AHEAD

Spoiler

Anyway, I always felt YBW was going to be the one to kill Nam Jeon. The theory I’ve heard is that Nam Jeon was based on real life Nam Eun, who along Sambong had great influence on the king. They probably changed his name to allow them to fictionalize him further, like, giving him a son like Seonho etc. YBW killed Nam Eun, so that’s why I thought it would happen here too. I was surprised it happened so soon though. 

Speaking of awards, supporting characters can get Daesang. In fact, even though Jang Hyuk absolutely deserved Daesang for his portrayal of Piljoo in Money Flower, the award was given to a veteran actor who had a supporting role in Rebel. He was good, but not better than Piljoo by any means and I thought it was totally unfair because that actor didn’t carry the drama like Jang Hyuk did in Money Flower.

However I doubt he will get anything for My Country. I don’t think a jtbc drama has ever won anything but I could be wrong. Also, ratings are decent for the channel but not extraordinary. And yes I loved Lee Young Oh, but what he did with Piljoo was a masterpiece.

He is definitely still evolving as an actor, and that is beautiful to watch. I feel like he is favoring a more self-restrained characterization lately. I was horrified by his acting in The Merchant (I would take that award away from him lol) and some scenes in Voice. I do not appreciate it when he goes unnecessarily OTT, but he hasn’t done it lately and I hope he keeps like this (please, please, pleeease) Despite drama results, his acting in WOL and Bad Papa was delicate and almost perfect imo. And I’m absolutely feverish with love and lust for LBW in My Country! TOO SEXY! 

The final scene of episode 12, his expression. Yes, I know the trembling hand has been used before, but it was very subtle here, some ppl didn’t even notice it (my mom) even though there was a zoom in to it lol, but it was quick, but oh so appropriate and effective. Jang Hyuk is living this character. I’m, as they say, completely #bangwitched 

• Like 6