9 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Out of curiosity, what did you not like about his character in the Voice? (without any spoilers please haha) Because I'm still watching halfway, took a break and didn't finish - but I intend to pick it back up again because I actually am not a fan of procedural dramas, I'm only watching it for JH :P Even the highly raved signal, I took awhile to finish it because I just didn't enjoy watching standalone cases, if it is a mystery, I would rather it be a only one coherent mystery that is meant to be solved through the whole show. That is why I am also abit iffy about Say What You Saw, I just hope that the concept will be interesting enough and that the show will be more character-driven than just about chasing one criminal after another... And I will trust that he chose it because he can have a say in how he wants to portray his character. Afterall, the Voice creator/director sounded like he really admires JH and wants him on the show very badly!

I didn't like several things about Voice:

First was that we didn't get to see JH's acting range. He didn't get to act that much. Most of the time what he did was run around. His character showed very little growth except for in the first two episodes and the two last ones, and even that wasn't very good.

Second was the plot- it's very formulaic. I've seen this in several shows already- the main arc is presented in the first episode and is solved in the last two episodes. What we get in the middle is the two leads stalling- acting like idiots, losing evidence and witnesses, reacting very slowly to things, just so that the main arc wouldn't be solved before the last episodes. A show that broke from this formula was Black, and they did this by having several mysteries during the show that were slowly revealed as the show progressed, so the main characters didn't behaved like idiots.

The third thing I hated was the fact that the main thing in the show, the super- hearing of the female lead, was completely useless. There is a scene in which JH's character is being kidnapped, and she was listening to it- there were clear sounds of struggle- glass breaking, grunts and shouts, not to mention that he wasn't answering her, and still she seemed completely baffled by what was going on, just dumbly listening instead of sending help...

I just couldn't stand it, but other people really liked it, so what to I know? :)

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson and @budgerie I just want to say I feel exactly the same way about Voice and hence why I’m not super enthusiastic about his new project. Hoping it will be better written and more character driven. The premise already sounds too gimmicky and formulaic but as I always say, I hope to be wrong about this. 

What makes me slightly optimistic is the interview that the actress gave in a press junket recently. She put the stress more on the character. She had an experience in which her character wasn't liked, so that makes her care more about the character than the plot, which I like.

"Sooyoung said, “I wanted to try out a genre drama one day, and I got a chance to do it with a good script and a good production crew. The character has a lot of charm, but our drama also has a profound and essential message. There are a lot of people who don’t say it as they see it these days. Cha Soo Young’s simple honesty of saying what she sees was charming to me because it seems to be a personality necessary in today’s times.”"

"Sooyoung also revealed she had a lot of worries while playing the role of Chun Sung Hee in OCN’s 2016 drama “Squad 38.” She commented, “My character Chun Sung Hee was a character that needed explanation but was not explained enough, which led to dislike from the viewers. I studied a lot while playing the only realistic role in a drama that has elements of fantasy.”

These quotes make me somewhat hopeful, and them saying this is a psychological thriller, so I hope it will be more about character study than anything else. I want something like Beautiful Mind, but sexier (why not?!)... Am I being too greedy? :) 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1361407wpp/girls-generations-sooyoung-shares-thoughts-about-her-upcoming-ocn-thriller-drama?fbclid=IwAR3Qc9n5li4_xv1t4ZCk3kqv5CV9Y5cMELPP-3eWVIC2K0-kFpZ4RHLZV1Y

• Like 5

I actually haven’t got any issues yet with any of his co-female stars. I think is JH that could work with anyone. 

but I do have one that I think he should work with again, that is the last from ‘flu’. 

I would love to see them in a comedy ! 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, kohnlee said:

I actually haven’t got any issues yet with any of his co-female stars. I think is JH that could work with anyone. 

but I do have one that I think he should work with again, that is the last from ‘flu’. 

Same here. Soo Ae isn't very active but she is one of those who can pull both comic and serious roles nicely. Would love to see her with JH in a comedy but I don't want it to be cliched like almost every k-drama

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

No argument here, just a passionate discussion,

To be honest, the ones of us here in this forum are cordial and friendly. We agree (silently) to let each other have their own preference. In other forum that I have visited, you can't even say any negative remarks about the actress or actor. Their fans will blast you. Even if we do say any thing negative about JH here, it is not JH that we are negative about but the character that he played. For example : Iris. It isn't directed at JH personally. 

9 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Aside from JNR whom he had wonderful chemistry with, I actually felt that he had good chemistry with Park Se Young too. Despite little confessions of love or physical touches, they managed to convey deep longing for each other in the show. 

Fans of FTLY - please don't blast me. I may not be able to explain well but I will try my best. Lol. 

I feel that chemistry this sort of thing, is very subjective.

Up to current, JH and JNR have got the best chemistry on screen and off screen. So chemistry that many crazy fans wished they are a real couple. I definitely like Li Gun and Mi Young very much. Their chemistry is off the chart. But I won't label her as the only one that has chemistry with JH. To me, I feel the genre of the drama played a big part too.  

Apart from FTLY, there wasn't another drama genre that required JH to be lovey dovey or act lovey dovey like he did in FTLY. Most of the time is either he died or he didn't get the girl. FTLY is one such drama that he didn't die and he got the girl. Other drama he did, example Thank You, Beautiful Mind, Money Flower or Flu are not love genre drama so it is difficult to compare 1 to 1 actress who has chemistry who has no chemistry. I know I mentioned the actress in Midas, in Tree and in Gaekju didn't have chemistry with him but I guess I was too critical. The genre of the drama didn't require much love. Oh, but with the exception of Midas. Midas is a modern era drama but Kim Do Hyun and Jung Yeon has the least chemistry as an engaged couple. 

@The Reel LifeYes, me too hope JH and PSY can do a romance genre and see how is their chemistry. In BM it was a disappointment because IDK if it is the writing or what, even though they are lovers, they don't even show the basic - like hold hands. So I wonder is it k drama is like this? If it is not a romance genre, no lovey dovey among couples. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Beautiful Mind was great! And Im sure its a very special project for him but it had terrible ratings so it will never be considered a “lifes work” by the industry. To this day, Chuno is his biggest success in all aspects, in terms of ratings, popularity, awards, reviews, etc. This is the only drama for which he won Daesang (although he absolutely should’ve gotten it for Money Flower) For all other dramas, if they had good/decent ratings, his acting got bad or mixed reviews or if he got good reviews, no one watched it (like Beautiful Mind or Bad Papa) so after Chuno, the next drama that earned him a combination of good reviews + ratings was Money Flower. I think that’s why they call it his second “Life’s work”.

Which I find it very unfair. He has come a long way since Chuno! But the system is like this. 

MF was great for me. Pil Joo is my 1st love. 2nd love is Young Oh. 3rd love is Dr Min and 4th love is Ji Cheol. :yum:

I will really JUMP HIGH and BANG wall if JH is not awarded for his role in MC. :triumph:

5 hours ago, kohnlee said:

Me too. I think she will have good chemistry with JH too. Flu wasn't a romance genre so they had no chance to act lovey dovey. 

Can I request - you know those best couple award thing....can it be for children too? JH has got lots of chemistry with children he worked with esp the little girls like Bomi (Thank You) Mira (Flu). 

Btw, how do I post a picture on my icon? I want to put my fav pic of Pil Joo. Lol. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

It's alright. Most of the actors are associated with only one or two works of their life-time. 

Agreed. Even as popular as Hyun Bin. He stars in so many drama but ppl always associate him with Secret Garden.

Dae Gil is iconic. He make the character iconic that make ppl will remember for another 20 years. His acting in MF was good but let be honest it's a weekend even with high rating not so many will familiar with the character. BM was good but rating is a flop. Lee Gun, Pil Joo, Young Oh is on par and I hv no doubt LBW will too. But, Dae Gil is on another level. The acting, the style, the action, the scene, the feeling and everything, oh the ABS too will always be remembered.

If you make the list of Most Iconic Drama Character or Iconic Drama in SK Dae Gil and Chuno will be there. KBS made it once on Entertainment Weekly. And Chuno and Dae Gil also made him almost to Emmy Awards.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

6 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

What makes me slightly optimistic is the interview that the actress gave in a press junket recently. She put the stress more on the character. 

I'm not raising my hopes only on basis of her statement because later she also added that Voice is her most favourite drama. 

OCN drama tends to be popular and I think in general much better than Voice. Song Seung Heon who is probably weakest drama male lead I've ever seen in Korea(though he seems to be improving/working only in his comfort zone and I still kind of like him) has recently resurrected his career with OCN dramas.

Only positive takeaway seems to be Kim Hong Sun's statement that he would not make JH run around throughout the drama this time.

Though on paper premise doesn't sound too exciting but final product maybe different. Money Flower's synopsis was cringy but drama turned out to be good and much different from what was initially promised.

• Insightful 4

33 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Fans of FTLY - please don't blast me. I may not be able to explain well but I will try my best. Lol. 

I feel that chemistry this sort of thing, is very subjective.

Up to current, JH and JNR have got the best chemistry on screen and off screen. So chemistry that many crazy fans wished they are a real couple. I definitely like Li Gun and Mi Young very much. Their chemistry is off the chart. But I won't label her as the only one that has chemistry with JH. To me, I feel the genre of the drama played a big part too.  

Kudos to Jang Nara too. She is one actress that always have a good chemistry with her male lead. Another one is Park Min Young. If he ever want to try rom com again I will suggest PMY. That girl is like a chemistry magnet. lol

• Like 3

Ok confirmed !!

Actor Jang Hyuk is cast in OCN's new Saturday Original ``See What You Saw'' and heralds a new acting transformation.

OCN's new Saturday Original 'Talk as You See' (play Go Young-jae, Han Ki-hyun, Director Lee Jun-hyeong, Creator Kim Hong-sun, Production Studio Dragon, H.House) is a genius profiler who has lost everything and a detective with the ability to remember what he saw once. Five senses suspender thriller to track the serial killer known. Jang Hyuk played the profiler, Oh Hyun Jae

In order to chase down the serial killer who killed his fiancé, he conducts a joint investigation with a new detective Soo-young (Choi Soo Young) who has a picture-capturing ability that remembers everything that is instantaneously visible.

Jang Hyuk has been acting in various works such as My Country, Bad Papa, Greasy Melo, and Money Flower.

In particular, he worked with OCN in `` Voice 1 '' in 2017, leaving a powerful impact through the delicate emotions and brilliant action.

Jang Hyuk's acting Oh Hyun-jae is the the best criminal psychology analyst who profiled long-term unsolved cases, and is unparalleled in his ability to deduce what seems is and isn't. 

However, after losing his fiancé in an explosion committed by a serial killer, he erased everything and disappeared from the world.

The reason why Jang Hyuk's “Say What You Saw” casting news is so pleasing is that it is expected to transform into new acting.

Genius Profiler Oh Hyun-jae's role is to showcase the professional charm of utilizing the natural brain.

Jang Hyuk, who is not afraid of acting change every time, will show the true value of actors who believe and see in the OCN genre.

In addition, since VOICE 1, Jang Hyuk and Kim Hong-sun's meeting has attracted much attention.

The reunion of the two who opened a new horizon for the OCN genre with the best breath predicts the birth of the well-made genre in 2020.

The production team said, “Jung Hyuk is an actor who can never be left out of the OCN genre. In any work, there are many viewers who are looking forward to acting as a genre because their own color is sure. ”“ The character can discover Jang Hyuk's new charm that has not been revealed until now. I would like to ask for your interest and expectation until the first broadcast.

Kim Hong-sun who directed the dramas ‘Voice 1’, ‘Hand the guest’, ‘The Liar Game’ and ‘The Pied Piper’ will participate in the planning and production as a whole and add completeness to the work.

In addition, it will be directed by Lee Jun-hyung of 'God's Quiz 1' and written by the movie 'Cha Hyung-sa' Ko Young-jae and new artist Han Ki-hyun.

It is scheduled to broadcast in the first half of 2020.

04-488931.jpg

http://www.kjdaily.com/read.php3?aid=1572829493488931208

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Ok confirmed !!

Actor Jang Hyuk is cast in OCN's new Saturday Original `` Talk as You See '' and heralds a new acting transformation.

Almost sound like a Hollywood The Mentalist isn't it? The bomb, the serial killer, the cop, the profiler? :sweatingbullets: 

Talking about The Mentalist and hairstyle, maybe he will done a  curly hair like Patrick Jane. :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

9 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I guess I'm that desparate for JH to do some action in this show that I'm imagining things now :sweat_smile:

I didn't even realise got 2 arrows! That is how not attentive I am without Bang Won :grimace:I only realised the 2 of them stand there "watching" without running to her aid. And the guard has a sword. Shouldn't he fight the one trying to stab Hwi sister? Maybe this writer-nim can only write 1 thing at one time. Cannot "multi write". :sweat_smile:

9 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I just couldn't stand it, but other people really liked it, so what to I know? :)

:lol:Is ok. We all have different taste buds for drama. Just if I say I don't like the plot for FTLY everyone will probably be looking at me. LOL.

Well let me rephrase, the 2nd part of the plot. Too draggy. I like realistic genre.

Example : Thank you (people with AIDS). Flu (flu pandemic) BM (people who are psychopath) MF (revenge in various method) Bad Papa (family relationship). 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, yoeda said:

let be honest it's a weekend even with high rating not so many will familiar with the character.

Not familiar with weekend drama thing. Is there a difference in pay or ______________? JH also mentioned many people asked him why he want to do weekend drama. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Ok confirmed !!

Actor Jang Hyuk is cast in OCN's new Saturday Original ``See What You Saw'' and heralds a new acting transformation.

OCN's new Saturday Original 'Talk as You See' (play Go Young-jae, Han Ki-hyun, Director Lee Jun-hyeong, Creator Kim Hong-sun, Production Studio Dragon, H.House) is a genius profiler who has lost everything and a detective with the ability to remember what he saw once. Five senses suspender thriller to track the serial killer known. Jang Hyuk played the profiler, Oh Hyun Jae

In order to chase down the serial killer who killed his fiancé, he conducts a joint investigation with a new detective swimmer (Choi Soo Young) who has a picture-capturing ability that remembers everything that is instantaneously visible.

Jang Hyuk has been acting in various works such as My Country, Bad Papa, Oily Mellow, and Money Flower.

In particular, he reunited with OCN in `` Voice 1 '' in 2017, leaving a powerful impact through the delicate emotions and brilliant action.

Jang Hyuk's acting Oh Hyun-jae is the best criminal psychoanalyst who has solved long-term issues by profiling, and his dexterity combining both visible and invisible is unmatched.

However, after losing his fiancé in an explosion committed by a serial killer, he disappeared and disappeared from the world.

The reason why Jang Hyuk's “Say What You Saw” casting news is so pleasing is that it is expected to transform into new acting.

Genius Profiler Oh Hyun-jae's role is to showcase the professional charm of utilizing the innate brain.

Jang Hyuk, who is not afraid of acting change every time, will show the true value of actors who believe and see in the OCN genre.

In addition, since VOICE 1, Jang Hyuk and Kim Hong-sun's meeting has attracted much attention.

The reunion of the two who opened a new horizon for the OCN genre with the best breath predicts the birth of the well-made genre in 2020.

The production team said, “Jung Hyuk is an actor who can never be left out of the OCN genre. In any work, there are many viewers who are looking forward to acting as a genre because their own color is sure. ”“ The character can discover Jang Hyuk's new charm that has not been revealed until now. I would like to ask for your interest and expectation until the first broadcast.

Kim Hong-sun who directed the dramas ‘Voice 1’, ‘Hand the guest’, ‘The Liar Game’ and ‘The Pied Piper’ will participate in the planning and production as a whole and add completeness to the work.

In addition, it will be directed by Lee Jun-hyung of 'God's Quiz 1' and written by the movie 'Cha Hyung-sa' Ko Young-jae and new artist Han Ki-hyun.

It is scheduled to broadcast in the first half of 2020.

04-488931.jpg

This hairstyle is fine for me. Lol. 

But another VOICE type of drama? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Not familiar with weekend drama thing. Is there a difference in pay or ______________? JH also mentioned many people asked him why he want to do weekend drama. 

The big 3 weekend drama always a family drama. It's showcasing more veteran actor than the younger one. We hv this argument and doubt before when he choose MF coz some feeling a little downgrading for actor of his caliber. But MF turn really good. Also the audience, target audience at that time always ahjumma or ahjusshi. So, ppl being skeptical. But, MF not in actual weekend time slot at that time. And it's not family drama it's revenge drama airing on weekend. lol. I'm confusing myself here. In term of payment I don't know. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1