Finished this week’s MC episodes. 6 years skip to the first strife of the princes but I’m kinda glad the story is moving faster now. At least we are done with the sister’s story which was dragging the show at times. 

I think he’s not showing the “head of a fox” side as much @budgerie, because he is using Hwi to execute his plans rather than him doing all the dirty work himself. We know that LBW plotted the first strife of the princes so that is his intelligence at play. And since the director said the story is not about the building of a country but about the lives of ordinary people and the country they want, hence the show is not going to focus on showcasing LBW’s intelligence, but rather the execution of it through Hwi and Iwharu! 

Btw I loved his scene with the queen and also his brother. Just wished his was more menacing haha. But I guess he wanted to showcase a more “humanistic” side of LBW so I don’t think we are going to get a ruthlessly evil LBW. 

Anyone know what were the ratings for episode 9-10? 

And it seems that JH didn’t reveal much about his upcoming acting plans and the OCN role at his recent fan meeting in Japan? 

• Like 4

Hi everyone! I’m glad to see so many new visitors on this precious Jang Huyk thread. I haven’t been here in forever so let me re-introduce myself. I am Dramafan, also known as ItsmeDF on IG and twitter. I’ve been following Jang Hyuk since 2012 and I am co-owner of the Stuck on Hyuk blog

I wanted to join the discussion about My Country. So sad that some of you are not enjoying it as much as I am. I understand the frustration though, as I’ve felt it with other dramas I’ve watched only for the sake of Jang Hyuk but that I couldn’t like as a whole.

Luckily I managed to get immersed in this one, to an extent that I can suspend disbelief and accept that Hwi can go from damsel in distress mode to genius strategist in a second, for example :p. The pros in this drama to me, far surpass the cons. It is simply FUN, Bangwon has chemistry with everyone, it has some amazing senior actors besides Jang Hyuk like Ahn Nae Sang and Kim Yeoung Chul, and their scenes together are simply powerful and exquisite.  The young actors are solid and also have amazing chemistry with our Bangwon (not to mention Woo Do Hwan declared he is a fan of Jang Hyuk, who started dreaming about being an actor, after watching Chuno, so that adds an extra element of enjoyment when I watch their scenes together) And in my opinion, the drama moves at a great pace, maybe even too fast, I wish we had more of it, but it is what it is.

Also, knowing that Jang Hyuk is not carrying the burden of this drama, as leads do, is such a relief as a fan. Because, the audience always blames the failures of dramas on the leads. I’d rather see him shine as a charismatic supporting character than getting stuck as a lead for many episodes, working extra hours, with a badly written character in a bad drama and getting all the blame, on top of everything

Going back to “ My Country” someone here mentioned a few days ago, that Hwi is getting glorified at the expense of Bangwon. I wanted to reply to that but now I’m not sure who made this point. Anyway, the example given was, the conversation BW and Hwi on the bridge where Poeun had gotten killed suggested that Bangwon killed Poeun with his own hands and that he was stating that he now needed Hwi do the killings for him, since he doesn’t any more blood in his hands. Well, I understood this scene differently

1.- Saying you have stained your hands with someone else’s blood does not necessarily mean that you literally killed them with your own hands. It could also mean that he ordered the assassination, (as it happened according to the history records) The point here is that this is a death that he was responsible for and he was blamed for.

2.- When Bangwon told Hwi, “I don’t want any more blood to spill on me” or something along the lines, I interpreted as Bang Won saying : If you serve me, you better not implicate me in anything. This does not mean that Bangwon needs Hwi at this point, or that he was making him his only “sword”. At least not yet, he is simply giving him a warning that he would give to anyone he decides to take under his wing. Bangwon, at this point, was simply intrigued by Hwi’s ability to infiltrate his camp through some “witty” and risky plan, aside from his ability as an archer and swordman. He had simply “piqued” his interest. Bangwon already has a whole army at his disposal to do his “killings” Hwi was not essential then

3.- Hwi made himself essential when he revealed he possessed the secret letter that implicated Nam Jeon. But only essential for the time being and the plan didn’t even succeed. So no, the drama is not glorifying Hwi, he barely has had a chance to have one plan (which failed) the rest of the time he has been the damsel in distress. Let’s give the boy a break.

4.- Bangwon has spent his entire life in politics. He does not need Hwi to strategize for him. The way I see it Bangwon only sees Hwi as someone who can be a good addition to his team, but not someone essential (yet) But 6 years have gone by, and I'm curious to see how their relationship has evolved during this time. 

I do wish the drama showed us a bit more of everyone’s vision about what the country should be, a little bit more about the big picture, instead of focusing so much on personal agendas. But I think this will happen as characters keep evolving. The second half has only started and Hwi will soon declare that “all he cares about is killing Nam Jeon” which makes his worldview and purpose in life very limited and sad. But since he is the hero of this story, I think this will change. Something will happen that will inspire him to care about much more, he will want to see the new “country of the abandoned” for real, and Bangwon will have everything to do with that (well, at least, I hope)

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Finished this week’s MC episodes. 6 years skip to the first strife of the princes but I’m kinda glad the story is moving faster now. At least we are done with the sister’s story which was dragging the show at times. 

Episode 10 - Is it just me who is finding the tempo not exciting? It hasn't given me the excitement feel. Indeed the sister story is dragging too long :sleepy: 

34 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

I think he’s not showing the “head of a fox” side as much @budgerie, because he is using Hwi to execute his plans rather than him doing all the dirty work himself. We know that LBW plotted the first strife of the princes so that is his intelligence at play. And since the director said the story is not about the building of a country but about the lives of ordinary people and the country they want, hence the show is not going to focus on showcasing LBW’s intelligence, but rather the execution of it through Hwi and Iwharu! 

Yes, you're right. And that is why I feel the "head of a fox" and "body of a tiger" is redundant when it is not shown to us. Apart from being told that BW fought battles for his father, so far in the show, I have only seen BW drew his sword once at the forest and that was a quick kill which we did not know what happened. What I have seen is Bang Won having "face of a fox" - he is acting with expression that is unmatched by others.  

47 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Btw I loved his scene with the queen and also his brother. Just wished his was more menacing haha. But I guess he wanted to showcase a more “humanistic” side of LBW so I don’t think we are going to get a ruthlessly evil LBW. 

His scene with the queen, with Nam Jeon, with Hwi and even with Seon Ho was good. Literally his scene with any one is good. When he wanted to save Hwi and confronted Nam Jeon, he drew half of his sword, that was done so perfectly. Wonder how long he practiced too. Lol. But in ep 10 his screen time was way too little. :triumph:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Oh, and we didn't discuss how again, YBW still hasn't show his "mind of a fox". We found out yesterday that the plan to pretend to kill YBW was Hwi's idea! So, YBW just follows whatever Hwi tells him, and this really annoys me. 

:sweat_smile: we have to remind ourselves that the writer didn't intend for Bang Won here to be the same as Bang Won in history. Lol. 

Me too want to see Bang Won in the planning (not told but act). And Hwi executes the order. I don't like to be told. I want to see acting. Which is why I said for a saeguk drama which follows (or suppose to) history, 16 episodes is too short for the team to explore or even build up the character. So far it is moving at a pace which is fast....as in "escape with the stepmother" to "end of escape" is like a couple of minutes. I thought we were going to have an exciting escape. 

But this show to me is lacking in tempo. It is just moving along.............I noticed Bang Won hasn't got much speech in this drama. Which is a relief to him (compared to MF - poor Pil Joo had lots of lines). :D

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Also, knowing that Jang Hyuk is not carrying the burden of this drama, as leads do, is such a relief as a fan. Because, the audience always blames the failures of dramas on the leads. I’d rather see him shine as a charismatic supporting character than getting stuck as a lead for many episodes, working extra hours, with a badly written character in a bad drama and getting all the blame, on top of everything

This I very much agree. Beautiful Mind is one such example. I think he must have felt "bad" to a certain extent. Although the failure of BM is NOT his fault.  

And hello to you! I have enjoyed reading Stuck on Hyuk very much! 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Episode 10 - Is it just me who is finding the tempo not exciting? It hasn't given me the excitement feel. Indeed the sister story is dragging too long :sleepy: 

It's not just you. As I wrote before, I found the entire story of Hwi as a double agent due to the kidnapping of his sister redundant. Drama for drama's sake. I thought they could have arrived at Hwi and YBW working together much sooner, especially since now it has suddenly been revealed that Hwi was the son of YBW's mentor, which in it's self felt contrived... And the murder of the sister was a complete waste of time. Hwi was already motivated to fight due to the murder of his father, why add the sister too?!

Also, have you notice that we constantly get the same scene of someone almost getting killed at the point of a sword and at last moment someone yells to stop it? I think we had like 6 scenes like that. This is what kinda ruined for me YBW saving Hwi yesterday. Made me roll my eyes :) JH was magnificent as usual, but no one really thought that Hwi was going to get killed, so there was zero tension there...

I will say that I'm glad that JH took this role as he's obviously achieving what he wanted in playing YBW. I think it would have been better had the focus been on YBW, story-wise, but that's out of JH's control. Also, JH is magnificent in his role, in spite of being allowed only to talk to people, and I'm glad he's getting a lot recognition for this. But the show its self I find boring and clunky. We get time jumps so randomly that I'm left confused, and the randomly inserted flashbacks to cover plot holes are not helping. I really hope that from now on, the rhythm of the show will pick up, as well as the action for JH.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, budgerie said:

This I very much agree. Beautiful Mind is one such example. I think he must have felt "bad" to a certain extent. Although the failure of BM is NOT his fault.  

But- aren't you glad he did the role is Beautiful mind? Ratings or no ratings, the fact that he did that role made that show incredible. It's one of the best medical dramas I've ever seen and his portrayal of Lee Young was brilliant! That is what I admire in JH- his acting and his leadership while being the lead.

So what- do we wish he would have done the role of the nurse instead, so that the blame for the low ratings wasn't on him? And from what I saw- no one blamed him. The production problems were well known...

What about Money Flower- should he have taken the role of the family's driver?! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, budgerie said:

And hello to you! I have enjoyed reading Stuck on Hyuk very much! 

Hi, thank you for the welcome. I wouldn’t use Beautiful Mind as an example of “bad drama” despite the ratings and the burden to him, I’m still selfishly grateful he did that drama because I loved it and his character is one of my favorites of his. It renewed my love for him after I had felt drained by the torture that was Gaekju to me. I was referring to a case like Iris 2, for example, which I watched as it aired, a drama that high budget, a good cast, big promotion, high expectations and it turned out to be a major flop, ratings wise, story wise, character wise, Jang Hyuk got so criticized, as a fan, it was a horrible experience. And it gets worse when you can’t even argue with the critics because yes, that drama was so shallow and bad (to me) So yeah I’ll take 1,000 supporting roles in a drama that is at least enjoyable than another lead role as bad as that one. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

Hi everyone! I’m glad to see so many new visitors on this precious Jang Huyk thread. I haven’t been here in forever so let me re-introduce myself. I am Dramafan, also known as ItsmeDF on IG and twitter. I’ve been following Jang Hyuk since 2012 and I am co-owner of the Stuck on Hyuk blog

Hi @dramafan33! Welcome back! I’m relatively new here so it’s good to know some long time fans of JH are back with this new drama!

Thank you for the work that you guys do at Stuck On Hyuk blog. When I first found out about him I spent a lot of time reading all the articles there haha. But lately it’s been awfully quiet with little updates on the blog. :cry: Are there plans to make it active again? I love reading the articles written there. 

I do wish the drama showed us a bit more of everyone’s vision about what the country should be, a little bit more about the big picture, instead of focusing so much on personal agendas. But I think this will happen as characters keep evolving. The second half has only started and Hwi will soon declare that “all he cares about is killing Nam Jeon” which makes his worldview and purpose in life very limited and sad. But since he is the hero of this story, I think this will change. Something will happen that will inspire him to care about much more, he will want to see the new “country of the abandoned” for real, and Bangwon will have everything to do with that (well, at least, I hope)

I totally agree with you. Everyone seems to be fighting for their personal agenda or revenge and not much is being elaborated on the visionary agenda. Which is ironic given the title of the show, I thought it would showcase more patriotism. And Hwi reinforces this with what he said for episode 11’s preview. I wish they would also make clearer LBW’s kind of country that he wishes to set up as we go through all the strifes until he becomes king. Really curious as to whether they will show us that he becomes king!

Technically this show isn’t completely preproduced right? Since they are still shooting. I wonder if the last few episodes will be altered given that they gave the benefit of the audiences reaction. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

But- aren't you glad he did the role is Beautiful mind? Ratings or no ratings, the fact that he did that role made that show incredible. It's one of the best medical dramas I've ever seen and his portrayal of Lee Young was brilliant! That is what I admire in JH- his acting and his leadership while being the lead.

So what- do we wish he would have done the role of the nurse instead, so that the blame for the low ratings wasn't on him? And from what I saw- no one blamed him. The production problems were well known...

May I interject? Since I sort of started the argument, I wish to clarify my point. I don’t think we are saying he should stop playing lead roles. At least what “I” am saying is many of us have seen Jang Hyuk fail and succeed, go up and down throughout his career, and at least I, am glad to see him enjoying himself in a role and getting good reviews even if its not a lead. He has made a conscious decision to now focus on the potential quality of the role and less on screen time, importance in credits or even possibly salary/payment. At his age, lead roles in kdrama will start to diminish and also, a few years ago he “had” to take certain high paying but not satisfying roles because he was the breadwinner or cash cow if you will, of his agency. This is why they sent him to China to make that atrocious remake of All about Eve, right after Chuno, when he was at the peak of his career. Being the “It” boy of his agency became a huge burden and instead of it giving him more freedom to choose interesting roles, things got worse for a while. His situation is different now. I personally think it’s better. Sure, he might not be “lead material” forever especially in an industry like k-drama industry but he will have an opportunity for meatier roles that will help him expand his repertoire as an actor or at the very least give him joy. Lead roles are overrated anyway. Rarely are the leads, the most interesting characters in kdrama. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Hi, thank you for the welcome. I wouldn’t use Beautiful Mind as an example of “bad drama” despite the ratings and the burden to him, I’m still selfishly grateful he did that drama because I loved it and his character is one of my favorites of his. It renewed my love for him after I had felt drained by the torture that was Gaekju to me. I was referring to a case like Iris 2, for example, which I watched as it aired, a drama that high budget, a good cast, big promotion, high expectations and it turned out to be a major flop, ratings wise, story wise, character wise, Jang Hyuk got so criticized, as a fan, it was a horrible experience. And it gets worse when you can’t even argue with the critics because yes, that drama was so shallow and bad (to me) So yeah I’ll take 1,000 supporting roles in a drama that is at least enjoyable than another lead role as bad as that one. 

No no, I don't mean the fault lies with JH. To me, it was never him. His acting surpasses everything else. Lee Young Oh is #2 of my fav character. My #1 fav is still Pil Joo. And I honestly until now still don't know what is wrong with BM that many people dislike. Genre? 

Agree. Gaekju was physically draining to watch although SB was cute at times and heartbreaking when he cried. Iris was disastrous. JH put up great acting as best as he could but the script is bad, the ending worse! Not to mention the hair!   

19 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I was referring to a case like Iris 2, for example, which I watched as it aired, a drama that high budget, a good cast, big promotion, high expectations and it turned out to be a major flop, ratings wise, story wise, character wise, Jang Hyuk got so criticized, as a fan, it was a horrible experience.

I’m mildly thankful I wasn’t a fan at that time yet because yes, it would be so painful and heartbreaking to hear all those statements being hurled at him, what more for himself. 

Just a thought: Do you guys think that experience could have been one of the reasons he refrains from taking on big production roles? He acts wonderfully in any show he’s in, but he hasn’t necessarily been joining productions that are highly hyped up with big name co-stars. I’m curious if he intentionally distances himself from those. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Hi @dramafan33! Welcome back! I’m relatively new here so it’s good to know some long time fans of JH are back with this new drama!

Thank you for the work that you guys do at Stuck On Hyuk blog. When I first found out about him I spent a lot of time reading all the articles there haha. But lately it’s been awfully quiet with little updates on the blog. :cry: Are there plans to make it active again? I love reading the articles written there. 

OMG! The blog! I feel so guilty about it! But yes! The blog has been on hiatus but Gumi and I (co-owners) are still very much in love with Jang Hyuk so we have the intention to make it active again. Lady G, a contributor of the blog has posted a few things and she helps us manage our twitter and FB account too but YES we need to get back on track with it. 

And yes, the title of the drama is “My Country” so I really hope they give us at least a glimpse of a vision. Bang Won said to the Queen that he really cares about the country and he totally convinced me! (Due to his superb acting) But how is your country going to be better than what we have now dear Bang Won? I hope we get that answer soon. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I really hope that from now on, the rhythm of the show will pick up, as well as the action for JH.

That's what I have been saying. The rhythm/tempo is not exciting. No tension. To a certain extent, I am beginning to feel bored.

11 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

May I interject? Since I sort of started the argument, I wish to clarify my point. I don’t think we are saying he should stop playing lead roles. At least what “I” am saying is many of us have seen Jang Hyuk fail and succeed, go up and down throughout his career, and at least I, am glad to see him enjoying himself in a role and getting good reviews even if its not a lead. He has made a conscious decision to now focus on the potential quality of the role and less on screen time, importance in credits or even possibly salary/payment. At his age, lead roles in kdrama will start to diminish and also, a few years ago he “had” to take certain high paying but not satisfying roles because he was the breadwinner or cash cow if you will, of his agency. This is why they sent him to China to make that atrocious remake of All about Eve, right after Chuno, when he was at the peak of his career. Being the “It” boy of his agency became a huge burden and instead of it giving him more freedom to choose interesting roles, things got worse for a while. His situation is different now. I personally think it’s better. Sure, he might not be “lead material” forever especially in an industry like k-drama industry but he will have an opportunity for meatier roles that will help him expand his repertoire as an actor or at the very least give him joy. Lead roles are overrated anyway. Rarely are the leads, the most interesting characters in kdrama. 

Well said! 

I also feel that at his age now, he should take a breather and stop jumping from 1 project to the next. I too rather he pick a project that he likes, with good script.  

Better than project like Iris which he is the lead and all of us frown. Not him but is the whole project and the story.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Of course I am glad he did BM. Young Oh is my #2 fav.  

What I am (only) trying to say is that sometimes lead actor/actress get blame for the failure of the drama which is very unfair to them. Likewise, if a drama is well received, the leads get all the praise. 

Netizens seem to have forgotten that it is a whole team that makes or break a drama. Not the leads alone. 

• Like 2

No argument here, just a passionate discussion, like we often have here :) Welcome back, by the way.

As to the subject- every actor has bad projects. One of the reasons I became a fan of JH is the unusual amount of projects that are not bad. And it was easy to me to realize why- it was JH himself. Besides being a hell of an actor, he also has an uncanny ability to choose quality roles. Most of the time. No actor has the ability to predict what will happen during a production. Even Tom Cruise has the occasional flop. That's natural. I didn't watch IRISII, but yes, when a production is bad, the actors tend to take a hit. But if they handle it correctly, it doesn't destroy their career. And this is what JH did- this is why I IRISII wasn't disastrous to his career, just a failed show.

I agree that JH is in a different place now. I feel the change in his status occurred after Money flower, and this was confirmed by the recent quote from his agency. I don't think we know the extent of it yet. For sure, My Country didn't hurt him. 

But, for me personally, I'm not interested in watching shows in which he is not the lead. I respect whatever he decides, but it doesn't mean that I'll watch. I didn't watch WOL till the end and of My Country I watch only his parts, like most of the posters on this forum admitted to doing. The writing of the show is just not that good...

Hell, I will admit to even fast forwarding through Chuno, as I was bored by the parts JH wasn't in. It's just a matter of personal taste. 

• Like 2

His situation is different now. I personally think it’s better. Sure, he might not be “lead material” forever especially in an industry like k-drama industry but he will have an opportunity for meatier roles that will help him expand his repertoire as an actor or at the very least give him joy. Lead roles are overrated anyway. Rarely are the leads, the most interesting characters in kdrama. 

That's true. Even he mentioned that in an interview done after money flower.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Hi everyone! 

Look who is here! 

I was wishing to see you in this thread and I knew you would love this version of Lee Bang Won.:)

For me a year long wait was worthwhile this time. I've already expressed my sentiments about JH's work choice with you(and others) several times so no point of being a broken record.

I'm glad JH's performance was well recieved and drama is good enough.  Personally my favourites are Ahn Nae Sang and JH but whole ensamble of the actors is good. Only department which needed improvement is writing and I think by the end of the drama I have to interpret the title 'My Country' differently.

Now drama is moving towards conclusion so I wonder if JH's well recieved performance can ensure better future offers for him. I mean he did Wok of Love(probably my worst ever drama) just after Money Flower. But it seems like one of reson why JH accepted this offer is because he was not happy with his earlier performance in the movie. 

I also wonder if somehow LBW's role would have turned out to be a bad choice then what would have been us fans' reaction. Would we be thinking along same lines?

I'm right now wishing that Say What You Saw could make me forget detective of Voice and generate good response from the viewers.  

• Like 2

More Knetz comments on ep 10:

1.    Even though I know this story, but the acting is so tight that it's so immersive and fun…. It was so cool yesterday when Bang-won rescued Hwi from Nam Jeon. Jang Hyuk's Lee Bang-won is no less attractive than other actors who had played Lee Bang-won before previously! (+328 -7)

2.    The more Woo Do Hwan plays, the more impressive he is. ᅲᅲ Really Nam Seon-ho himself (+245 -16)

3.    You can see that era’s Lee Bang-won right in front of your eyes, just like Jang Hyuk’s perfect portrayal of Lee Bang-won, no matter what’s the amount of screen time you gave him, the presence is awesome (+179 -3)

4.    Ah.. Seon-ho and Hwi, it’s such a pity… losing Yeon.. let’s fight together. Actor Woo, you've got so many emotional scenes. It must have been hard for you to shoot. (+132 -3)

5.    Woo Do-hwan's position is unknown, it is unclear why he turns dark. The relationship gets better and then gets worse, it keeps repeating. If you want to be a bad person, then you should make a complete confrontation, and not make a turnaround at the very end. You can't keep going back and forth. (+139 -45)

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=076&aid=0003490940

And some extras for JH fans:

1.    Jang Hyuk. Really good acting.♡♡♡ (+45 -0)

2.    Am Jang Hyeok, charisma, being punched. (+25 -0)

3.    I will protect my man.. goosebumps (+23 -0)

4.    Totally fun ♡ Yesterday then I knew Seo Geom was his teacher.. Jang Hyuk is really so cool (+15 -0)

5.    Jang Hyuk is so cool. (+13 -0)

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=108&aid=0002821010

201911030759117637_1_20191103080005170.j

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2