I love Hyuk (as we all do) but he does talk a lot of BS sometimes :joy: That lecture about the elephant spin, come on! He also got super dizzy (although it didn’t linger) I think if he was my friend I would eventually scream and turn into a CTH (not the bullying part but the Yaaaa stop it! You are making me dizzy part lol) He can be a bit much to handle. 

P.S I appreciate and love to observe his thought processes about certain subjects but I don’t think I’d care about a lecture about elephant spin lol He also has that nerdy “know it all” side to him (only to get it wrong and get busted but the good thing is he laughs at himself) but that “teacher” side of him while adorable, might be a reason his friends snap every once in a while lol just sayin 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

22 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I love Hyuk (as we all do) but he does talk a lot of BS sometimes :joy: That lecture about the elephant spin, come on! He also got super dizzy (although it didn’t linger) I think if he was my friend I would eventually scream and turn into a CTH (not the bullying part but the Yaaaa stop it! You are making me dizzy part lol) He can be a bit much to handle. 

P.S I appreciate and love to observe his thought processes about certain subjects but I don’t think I’d care about a lecture about elephant spin lol He also has that nerdy “know it all” side to him (only to get it wrong and get busted but the good thing is he laughs at himself) but that “teacher” side of him while adorable, might be a reason his friends snap every once in a while lol just sayin 

Yeah, that was a bit much! :D wasn't it the director of Chuno that called him a leech nerd? I think we just got a demonstration of his "leech" mode!:hwaiting2:The man just can't let go!! But he makes me smile...

Also, it was Shin Seung-Hwan that called him "a torn encyclopedia", as he reads only the first page of the paper. So he knows a lot things, but partly :) . The rest he seems to just make up out of thin air :P. But seeing how people adore him, I guess he doesn't grate. It's almost like the chatter of a bird...

I think what I would have done, just to make him drop the subject, would have been to tell him "OK, you think you know how to do the elephant spin?! No problem! Prove it! Right here, right now!" I swear I would have stopped the car, and made him test his theory! And of course hope that he would be proven right, cause if he wasn't, that would probably mean another two hours of him developing a new theory... :sweat_smile:

• LOL 3

On 4/24/2021 at 5:23 PM, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Yes he said that. I’d add that the kids being polite can also be thanks to JH and his wife both being polite. So thats at least some contribution on his part maybe? Leading by example. I forgot the little detail that JH greeted his neighbors first when he was on the elevator and then the kid. What my friend’s co worker said is they both seemed nice and gentle. I actually felt this same vibe the time I saw him. Like a warm but polite person. Very different from other celebrities I’ve met in the sense that most celebrities, even those who are “humble”, behave a little spoiled and entitled, like children. There’s always that vibe to them. JH seemed so like just a regular gentle polite guy who was even grateful that we were there. It made us feel very comfortable and appreciated as fans but he still managed to keep a respectful distance. He almost gave me an “old gentleman in a young man’s body” vibe. Not sure if Im explaining it well but I hope you get the idea. 

I wish I could afford to buy an apartment in this building :hwaiting2:

I'd love to hear the story of how you met him, I agree with @azureblue7
 it's so heartwarming reading things about him. He's truly an amazing human being.

• Like 1

The English subs for Master in the house are out. Essentially Seung gi suggested that JH will win in a street fight, and CTH agreed that JH has a potential there. I agree- without rules, KJK's mass may not be enough. But when JH took the phone and was asked about who will win in a boxing match, JH simply gave the win to KJK, saying what's the point in winning against his friend? at which point the caption "He wins against the muscle man with his big heart" appeared :) Making KJK deny that he said that he will win. But after that JH said that KJK's stamina is not what it used to be, which KJK later denied, saying that JH doesn't know anything :D. But in The Dragon brothers show we saw that KJK was amazed at JH's stamina, so I think JH is right... 

Seeing a few more clips from Master in the house and from other shows I can say this- all these three guys- CTH, KJK and JH are seriously quirky, verging on odd, but in a slightly different way! :hwaiting2:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

@Biology Lesson You mean they are quirky but each with their own style of quirkiness? Elaborate please :P Im curious about your finding and also I suppose this might explain while they somehow get along? I find KJK the most “confusing” like I still don’t “get” him or his humor but its mostly cause I haven’t had the opportunity to watch him outside of his interactions with JH. CTH I’ve seen some more and somehow his sense of humor and/or appeal, while I may not always love it, seems more obvious to me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson You mean they are quirky but each with their own style of quirkiness? Elaborate please :P Im curious about your finding and also I suppose this might explain while they somehow get along? I find KJK the most “confusing” like I still don’t “get” him or his humor but its mostly cause I haven’t had the opportunity to watch him outside of his interactions with JH. CTH I’ve seen some more and somehow his sense of humor and/or appeal, while I may not always love it, seems more obvious to me. 

Well, I saw a few more clips from Master in the house and KJK is clearly obsessed with fitness and slightly unhinged. Don't know if the whole "sparta" thing he does is real or just a thing, but it looks like he has a very short fuse and can get physical with people real fast. This seems to be accepted in Korea, but for me it's very jarring-

Another clip from last week- 

Also, remembering the episode of My Little Old Boy that JH did, it's clear that KJK's workout regimen is very unhealthy and that he is kinda immature.

As to CTH, he kinda reminds me of Loki- mischievous, charming and derives pleasure out of mocking people. Also, kinda immature, but maybe that's just a persona- I saw this clip of him with KJK, and clearly KJK is no match to him, wit-wise- 

Does this make me understand their relationship with JH? Not really. Cause it seems that JH is in a world of his own- innocent, oblivious and obsessive (or passionate, depends on how you look at it :) ). Like how he completely ignored CTH exasperation with his constant chattering, and just kept on talking. But it's interesting that CTH didn't say anything more cutting, just suffered JH's chirping :) KJK is more impatient with JH and sometimes mocking, but even that doesn't seem to affect JH too much. But one thing is clear- they have deep affection for JH.

But, as we know, there is one big thing these guys did that earned them JH's eternal loyalty and gratitude- the way they stood by him during his scandal. That for sure is a very important thing in their friendship

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

The English subs for Master in the house are out. Essentially Seung gi suggested that JH will win in a street fight, and CTH agreed that JH has a potential there. I agree- without rules, KJK's mass may not be enough. But when JH took the phone and was asked about who will win in a boxing match, JH simply gave the win to KJK, saying what's the point in winning against his friend? at which point the caption "He wins against the muscle man with his big heart" appeared :) Making KJK deny that he said that he will win. But after that JH said that KJK's stamina is not what it used to be, which KJK later denied, saying that JH doesn't know anything :D. But in The Dragon brothers show we saw that KJK was amazed at JH's stamina, so I think JH is right... 

Seeing a few more clips from Master in the house and from other shows I can say this- all these three guys- CTH, KJK and JH are seriously quirky, verging on odd, but in a slightly different way! :hwaiting2:

I tried uploading the full clip but kept getting blocked. So in the end, this is the best I can do.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COIccYZpD3S/?igshid=l8va1xp5s5ft

I really enjoy their conversation. They are all funny in their own way. If you watch how KJK is like on Running Man, you'll see how he is actually much nicer when he's with his dragon brothers.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

I tried uploading the full clip but kept getting blocked. So in the end, this is the best I can do.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COIccYZpD3S/?igshid=l8va1xp5s5ft

I really enjoy their conversation. They are all funny in their own way. If you watch how KJK is like on Running Man, you'll see how he is actually much nicer when he's with his dragon brothers.

For sure. I mean, in the clip I posted from the show Master in the house, he chased one of the guys down, grabbed him and kinda shook him! While if he touched CTH, CTH told him he will call the police, and or if he touched JH, JH will probably cause him serious damage :) 

• Like 3

@azureblue7 I think its probably some cultural differences that prevents some of us (or at least me) to understand KJK’s humor. I can’t interpret him at all. He says things and Im not sure wether he is joking or being rude but all I know is I don’t see how it is supposed to be funny. I feel very much like LYO as in “I need a wifi”. CTH on the other hand, as annoying as I may sometimes find him I “get” a bit more. I do find him funny sometimes and I even think he is talented/charismatic. I saw him in a movie where he found out he had a teenage daughter and I remember enjoying him there and also with JH in Into The Sunlight. I think he even sang a song in the movie and I thought it was sweet. I guess I can understand his general appeal but with KJK Im still baffled (but Im not saying its him, its me, Im the one who does not get him, not his fault lol) 

@Biology Lesson Thank you for your insights and the clips. In the first one, that other dude was more obnoxious than CTH and KJK put together lolll my goodness! I guess Im not equipped to handle korean variety shows. I’d be smacking everyone left and right while spitting fire! All the childish shenanigans would drive me nuts! 

And I admit, Im Rotfl at CTH on that last clip! :loolz:He is soooo meannn!!! Lol I guess I dont care (I guess thats my mean side) cause he is picking on KJK and not JH (bias showing much?) 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

35 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@azureblue7 I think its probably some cultural differences that prevents some of us (or at least me) to understand KJK’s humor. I can’t interpret him at all. He says things and Im not sure wether he is joking or being rude but all I know is I don’t see how it is supposed to be funny. I feel very much like LYO as in “I need a wifi”. CTH on the other hand, as annoying as I may sometimes find him I “get” a bit more. I do find him funny sometimes and I even think he is talented/charismatic. I saw him in a movie where he found out he had a teenage daughter and I remember enjoying him there and also with JH in Into The Sunlight. I think he even sang a song in the movie and I thought it was sweet. I guess I can understand his general appeal but with KJK Im still baffled (but Im not saying its him, its me, Im the one who does not get him, not his fault lol) 

I'm with you about KJK- I don't get him. I will just say that if he wasn't JH friend- I would have never paid any attention to him. As to CTH- I've only seen him acting in Rabbit and Lizard, and since I know JH wasn't paid for that movie, I guess he wasn't either, and was there just to support JH, which is nice. As to him in variety shows- he's very glib, but his humor tends to usually come at someone else's expense, so it's not my thing.

@Biology Lesson Thank you for your insights and the clips. In the first one, that other dude was more obnoxious than CTH and KJK put together lolll my goodness! I

yeah, I think it's his schtick... It's like he was doing one of the Stooges. 

guess Im not equipped to handle korean variety shows. I’d be smacking everyone left and right while spitting fire! All the childish shenanigans would drive me nuts! 

I agree with you. The only Korean variety show that I watched without JH was "Return of superman" as the kids were so cute, but the more I watched it, the more I felt it was essentially parents and celebrities taking advantage of kids to gain exposure, so I dropped that show. I mean seriously, what normal young men would volunteer to babysit children they don't even know?! So fake...<_< This is why I don't really like the cooking show, as cute as JH is in it. It feels so pointless! The cooking is random, and the "guest celebrity" part is way too long! I just don't care about celebrities! Korean or not! So I usually just FF through the show for the JH parts...

42 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

And I admit, Im Rotfl at CTH on that last clip! :loolz:He is soooo meannn!!! Lol I guess I dont care (I guess thats my mean side) cause he is picking on KJK and not JH (bias showing much?) 

I admit I also cackled during that clip. You know what it reminded me of? a clip from "The fantastic 4" in which the "Human torch" was making fun of "The thing" (the rock guy) :D

• Like 3

9 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Thanks for your hard work.  Yea, I can kind of see how they're all friends.  At first, I didn't get Korean Variety either, but I think now I can enjoy it more because for me it comes down to how are the people involve handling it.  If they are upset then that's one thing, but if they're able to crack jokes back or just ignore the person then I don't think they see it as such a big deal anyway.  They're just doing a job at the end of the day just like someone acting in a drama normally.  I think people forget that even variety is scripted in a way.

• Like 3

KJK was my least favo member in RM lately. The show somehow made him quit annoying. The lack of competitiveness made his character there quit boring. The same old Sparta/Tiger thing.  Like Hyuk, KJK can be a chatterbox too and he like to nag a lot. lol. But, if you saw him with his mom, he was really sweet. He was epitome of a good son. I think that's why it hard for him to get married because he want his future partner to understand his close relationship that he had with  his mom

• Like 4

@yoeda @phoenix24 Im kinda analyzing my own reaction to them because usually I am able to tolerate and even enjoy the most terrible humor lol as in, dark, sometimes politically incorrect, maybe twisted and possibly gross or horrifying lol from american and/or british comedians but its almost like the “childishness” or the humor displayed in korean variety is what confounds me and/or turns me off, that “teeheehee look at me being a clown boinggg slapstick humor, mixed with playground bully-ish humor which consists on people relentlessly “mocking” others” that turns me off, because on the one hand it lacks wit and on the other hand I think I tend to accept “self deprecating” humor more than that which points the finger at another (maybe?) 

So, I don't think its a matter of taking them seriously, its more a matter of not finding the jokes all that funny (at least thats my “problem”). But CTH roasting KJK was admittedly very funny to me, because he looked so serious and concerned, lol it reminded me of when Conan O Brien “bullies” his entire staff. Its so over the top but he plays it with a straight face that one can’t help but laugh. CTH (like Conan in those situations) seems to play this obnoxious blunt kinda “entitled” merciless character who has no filter. He is obviously acting for laughs. But to me KJK was so far a mystery. He still is, but upon reading comments on youtube Ive always seen that he has many fans, and I suppose there’s a reason for that. I imagine there is an entertaining talented side  that I have not yet been exposed to. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

So, I don't think its a matter of taking them seriously, its more a matter of not finding the jokes all that funny (at least thats my “problem”). But CTH roasting KJK was admittedly very funny to me, because he looked so serious and concerned, lol it reminded me of when Conan O Brien “bullies” his entire staff. Its so over the top but he plays it with a straight face that one can’t help but laugh. CTH (like Conan in those situations) seems to play this obnoxious blunt kinda “entitled” merciless character who has no filter. He is obviously acting for laughs. But to me KJK was so far a mystery. He still is, but upon reading comments on youtube Ive always seen that he has many fans, and I suppose there’s a reason for that. I imagine there is an entertaining talented side  that I have not yet been exposed to. 

Yea, I see what you mean.  I do prefer jokes with wit.  Yoeda has a point he is nicer with his mom and I think women in general.  Like when men come over they have to try to not be wasteful, but the women can do whatever they want pretty much and he has more patience.  I often forget about his singing side because I see more of his entertainment side.  Also, I think he has a soft spot for kids as well.

Maybe it'll be more tone down if it's in a show that is one on one like when he went with kwang soo to do china's running man. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@yoeda @phoenix24 Im kinda analyzing my own reaction to them because usually I am able to tolerate and even enjoy the most terrible humor lol as in, dark, sometimes politically incorrect, maybe twisted and possibly gross or horrifying lol from american and/or british comedians but its almost like the “childishness” or the humor displayed in korean variety is what confounds me and/or turns me off, that “teeheehee look at me being a clown boinggg slapstick humor, mixed with playground bully-ish humor which consists on people relentlessly “mocking” others” that turns me off, because on the one hand it lacks wit and on the other hand I think I tend to accept “self deprecating” humor more than that which points the finger at another (maybe?) 

I think he has so many fans exactly because of the things we've seen already that you've mentioned. I don't think there is a great mystery here. This is a guy that is a popular singer, and we know that in Korea that gives an entertainer extra points. His sugary style of singing is not my thing for sure, but obviously popular in Korea. Also, he has been in the variety shows circuit for a long time, doing for years the most popular show- Running man and many others. I'm seriously baffled by the number of shows he does at the same time! so again it gives him extra points in Korea. From what I've seen of him in the shows JH did in Running man and Family outing, KJK is not very witty, just very aggressive with his other cast members, and I guess that comes across as entertaining. What I saw of him in My little old boy in the show JH did horrified me. Sure he does care about his mom, but that came with him living with his parents till his forties(!), with his mom catering to his every need. Not to mention that he is a hoarder... JH said that KJK is very generous with his friends, but all the rest he saw on the show made JH shocked and concerned. Watch the episode, it's an odd show...

Really can't say I care for either KJK or CTH, it's just that they are kinda forced on me through them doing these variety shows with JH. To date, I liked the shows he did without them much better- my favorite of the recent ones being "The law of the jungle". Of the older ones I love Friends in Croatia and Real Men. I even like the travel show to the grand canyon better.

• Like 2

First, I must clarify that I am not a fan of CTH but a fan of JH. Recently I watched his variety show with Jo In Sung "Unexpected Business" and have come to appreciate him a little more. In Unexpected Business, he doesn't come across as the one leveraging on others to create laughs etc. There was a sharing by Park Bo Young on her experience working with CTH. Can read in the following article.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1458769wpp/park-bo-young-shares-touching-stories-of-times-she-was-helped-by-cha-tae-hyun-and-jo-in-sung

In last week's episode (ep 9), at the last 10 mins, CTH also talked about how he feels not getting awards etc whereas his good friends like JH has gotten a few acting grand prize and KJK has some major awards as well.  

Whilst I miss JH in Dramas/movies, I do enjoy his appearances in variety shows as they depict his natural self which makes me admire and like him even more.  The dynamics in each variety show is different, like friends in Croatia, he is the most senior and most popular so SSH and CKS are always giving in to him while with the dragon brothers, they tend to have a more equal relationship so the interaction is more casual and more fun. I think JH is getting more and more comfortable doing Variety shows.  What I want to say is that I hope he will get a good role which can let him show his full talents and catapult him to the international stage, in the meantime during this pandemic, doing variety shows is good so he can stay in touch with the audience and have fun at the same time. 

• Like 4