Hello! Welcome @janghaesoo :wow1: SOGC means Shine or Go Crazy, Jang Hyuk's 2015 drama with Oh Yeon Seo. It's a story about Wang So, the same historical character featured in Lee Jun Ki and IU's Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (but different treatment/manner of storytelling). I've been a Jang Hyuk fan only for 6 or 7 months now so I haven't seen all his series. Have you watched his "main" ones?

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, janghaesoo said:

Hi, this is the first time I post here, I was only reading all of your awesome posts. When you mention SOGC which drama are you referring to? Successful story of a bright girl?

Welcome. @janghaesoo! Always happy to see another new fan. As @Jiyuu said, SOGC is Shine or Go crazy, a fun show, mostly in its first part.

One thing I always like hearing from new fans is the story of how they became a fan of JH- So, what is you story? :)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Jiyuu said:

Hello! Welcome @janghaesoo :wow1: SOGC means Shine or Go Crazy, Jang Hyuk's 2015 drama with Oh Yeon Seo. It's a story about Wang So, the same historical character featured in Lee Jun Ki and IU's Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (but different treatment/manner of storytelling). I've been a Jang Hyuk fan only for 6 or 7 months now so I haven't seen all his series. Have you watched his "main" ones?

Oh that's right! How could I not noticed? I'm sorry. I haven't watched all of his dramas yet because I don't want to finish everything soon haha. Thank you!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Welcome. @janghaesoo! Always happy to see another new fan. As @Jiyuu said, SOGC is Shine or Go crazy, a fun show, mostly in its first part.

One thing I always like hearing from new fans is the story of how they became a fan of JH- So, what is you story? :)

Thank you! I started watching kdramas in 2011 and never heard of Jang Hyuk which was odd because at that time people here in Brasil were completely crazy over Korean culture because of Hallyu. I started watching kdramas again in 2020, I watched Tell Me what you saw, and then I watched Fated to love you and the I went completely crazy about him and super mad because it was so hard to find his dramas and movies here. That's when I decided to create a brazilian fanpage for him so I can spread his words to my country hehe <3

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

Just now, janghaesoo said:

Thank you! I started watching kdramas in 2011 and never heard of Jang Hyuk which was odd because at that time people here in Brasil were completely crazy over Korean culture because of Hallyu. I started watching kdramas again in 2020, I watched Tell Me what you saw, and then I watched Fated to love you and the I went completely crazy about him and super mad because it was so hard to find his dramas and movies here. That's when I decided to create a brazilian fanpage for him so I can spread his words to my country hehe <3

This is something that frustrates me so much- JH's lack of promotion... FTLY was my first Kdrama and I guess you could say he ruined me for Kdramas- I can only watch JH's shows! :hwaiting2:

Wait- are you @janghyukbrazil on twitter?!

• Like 2

@Jiyuu I also just watched Chuno’s finale and I have so many thoughts and feelings again but I want to process them before I talk about them in Kfangurl’s thread (but in summary, I loved the group watch, I feel like I understood the drama and the ending much better. During that final episode I literally started sobbing from Eopbok’s final epic moment and all through the end but finally accepting why everything had to happen the way it happened for the different messages of the drama to finally mesh and for the characters to stay true to themselves. I felt every single emotion. I felt like I was right there in Joseon at the time, truly immersive drama (and it looks so HD still which makes it better) 

I agree on the OTT moments you mentioned including some shouting in Chuno which maybe could’ve been toned down (tho Daegil works for me as he was a bit of a wild beast and kinda gross at times, kinda like Jiho. And Jang Hyuk purposely played him like an animal) but, in general Jang Hyuk used to shout much in earlier dramas like Bright Girl (lordy, so much shouting) there’s a scene in Thank You, him shouting in the shower that was OTT to me, etc I guess its that one flaw (or acting choice) that I thought could be tamed. His “shouting” still happens but in later works, has been much more controlled (also due to the type of characters but I think JH has toned it down since Voice) 

Welcome @janghaesoo :loveu:

@Biology Lesson Yes to more action movies for JH that are well written and with some sexiness/romance included! Also, while The Swordsman’s story was very predictable I wouldn’t mind if a good writer wanted to expand that character and make a couple of more movies. The Swordsman totally felt like the introduction to something, like a first episode, rather than a complete story (to me) 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Wiggle 1

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

This is something that frustrates me so much- JH's lack of promotion... FTLY was my first Kdrama and I guess you could say he ruined me for Kdramas- I can only watch JH's shows! :hwaiting2:

Wait- are you @janghyukbrazil on twitter?!

Yes! And on Instagram too. 

I agree! When I learned that he was the only South Korean actor who was ever nominated to International EMMY awards I just couldn't believe how people didn't know better about him. 

Do you think his agency takes good care of him?

And since I started watching JH's dramas I just can't watch other dramas too. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, janghaesoo said:

Yay! I knew it! It seems new fans like us always end up absolutely loving him through FTLY. My journey and timeline is similar to yours. Watched kdramas long before, then stopped. First time to hear of JH during the pandemic (which I found odd too because I thought I knew all the major stars even if I wasn't watching kdramas actively).

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

This is something that frustrates me so much- JH's lack of promotion... FTLY was my first Kdrama and I guess you could say he ruined me for Kdramas- I can only watch JH's shows! 

I was thinking about this. I think part of the reason is because he's such an old soul. Serious and reflective during interviews, no fodder for gossips. Also he doesn't look old but his clothing and hairstyle choices by himself are too... ordinary? But during photoshoots when they style him up he shines and I absolutely drool. 

And his project choices the past 10 years are mostly "heavy" and less accessible for casual viewers. I wish he'd be casted/accept projects with crowd-favorite writers like Kim Eun Hee (Kingdom, Signal) or Kim Eun Sook (Descendants, Goblin) or Park Ji Eun (Crash Landing, My Love from the Stars) or the Hong Sisters (Master's Sun, Hotel del Luna). He needs something really huge, more youthful, and buzz-worthy so all his older projects will be rediscovered.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

19 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Jiyuu I also just watched Chuno’s finale and I have so many thoughts and feelings again but I want to process them before I talk about them in Kfangurl’s thread (but in summary, I loved the group watch, I feel like I understood the drama and the ending much better. During that final episode I literally started sobbing from Eopbok’s final epic moment and all through the end but finally accepting why everything had to happen the way it happened for the different messages of the drama to finally mesh and for the characters to stay true to themselves. I felt every single emotion. I felt like I was right there in Joseon at the time, truly immersive drama (and it looks so HD still which makes it better) 

I agree on the OTT moments you mentioned including some shouting in Chuno which maybe could’ve been toned down (tho Daegil works for me as he was a bit of a wild beast and kinda gross at times, kinda like Jiho. And Jang Hyuk purposely played him like an animal) but, in general Jang Hyuk used to shout much in earlier dramas like Bright Girl (lordy, so much shouting) there’s a scene in Thank You, him shouting in the shower that was OTT to me, etc I guess its that one flaw (or acting choice) that I thought could be tamed. His “shouting” still happens but in later works, has been much more controlled (also due to the type of characters but I think JH has toned it down since Voice) 

I have watched several sageuks and even non-Korean epic historicals, always the main lead has his/her moment of brilliance and heroism. But I feel like Chuno is extra special, quite possibly the sageuks among the sageuks. Nearly all of the characters had their moments of heroism and it's satisfying.

I think the way dramas sustain the story and wrap things up really affects how much I end up loving them. Many dramas started awesome but floundered towards the end (like my could-have-been-favorite Flower of Evil). 

10 minutes ago, janghaesoo said:

I agree! When I learned that he was the only South Korean actor who was ever nominated to International EMMY awards I just couldn't believe how people didn't know better about him. 

And since I started watching JH's dramas I just can't watch other dramas too. 

Wow. I didn't know about the International Emmy nomination. Do you have a link please? His agency used to have a bunch of the big stars of the Hallyu wave. I don't know how well they take care of him but JH is quite loyal, I just hope Sidus doesn't get complacent.

I was like that for a while too (especially after FTLY). I'm back to semi-normal now. I just cannot watch other shows immediately after certain shows of his. Like I've been enjoying marathoning Hwayugi currently but since I just watched the last two episodes of Chuno, I cannot help but pause for a day or two, listening to its OST over and over, sorting my thoughts and thinking which JH series should I watch next. Robber for romance? Wok of Love for fluff? Voice for some police action? I'm glad I still have a bunch of JH dramas left.:fullofhearts:

• Like 4

@Jiyuu I don’t know why I couldn’t get into Kingdom at all, I have no emotional connection to that drama. And I can’t believe its from Signal’s writer (because I felt something with that one. In this case maybe because I like the main actor? But I think the story was good too) I feel while this would be great, JH in a popular crime drama it wouldn’t be too new. Voice was a success (broke OCN records at the time) so its not like he is unknown to “crime” fans

He is also bound to be known by historical drama fans niche (thats how I stumbled upon him) 

But other than the AMAZING FTLY, JH is not so known to romance drama fans (which is probably the majority of kdrama fans?) . Which is why I’d love him to do another successful one. And despite my loving KES’s Mr Sunshine, I have not been able to connect to her other dramas (like Secret Garden or Goblin, I was always confused by the characters behaviour) so my vote would go to Crash Landing on You’s writer.  I thought that drama was pretty cute and heartwarming. I can see JH excelling in something like that. 

My suggestion? Watch Robber and imagine its Daegil and Unnuyn reincarnated to finally fulfill their love lol (The characters are completely different though, no trace of their “past” life lolol) 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Yes to more action movies for JH that are well written and with some sexiness/romance included! Also, while The Swordsman’s story was very predictable I wouldn’t mind if a good writer wanted to expand that character and make a couple of more movies. The Swordsman totally felt like the introduction to something, like a first episode, rather than a complete story (to me) 

I agree. I think The Swordsman has a great potential for being a gateway to a series of movies involving Tae Yul. He's such a fascinating character and his fighting style is so unique that it seems like people that watched the movie were left wanting more. I've seen several reactions to the trailer, that were done by mostly martial arts movies enthusiasts, and all of them loved the action! However, not one of them knew JH, while almost all of them knew Joe Taslim. It's bewildering that this is actually JH's first all out martial arts movie... It's like he's Korea's best kept secret, and it's about time he stopped being that!:smashes:I truly wonder what is the reaction in the industry to the movie's success on TV and the positive reactions to the action... I hope good things... 

53 minutes ago, janghaesoo said:

Yes! And on Instagram too. 

Well, than! :) We've had several conversation on twitter already... Love you posts! :heartxoxo:

We don't really know... Many here think that it's indeed his agency that is failing him. It's also possible that the fact that he got married early also affected it- the shipping culture in Korea is very strong, and it looks like actors play along with it, for the most part. His scandal may also have something to do with it... I actually think that it had an effect, but from a different angle- I think that after JH came out of the army he came out a changed man. Unique in fact in the Korean entertainment world. Hell, in the entertainment world, period! His way of working and his amazing insight into his characters and projects, those things that make me admire him so much, may not make him very popular amongst writers and directors. We just recently had an interview with one of the people that worked with him of TMWYS, and she said that JH is amazing because of the way he analyzes his characters. She admired him for it, and said that he can be left alone to develop his character, and it seems that the OCN people also appreciate him for that do, but I don't think many directors will react the same to that. So that might also be affecting the projects he gets.

54 minutes ago, Jiyuu said:

I was thinking about this. I think part of the reason is because he's such an old soul. Serious and reflective during interviews, no fodder for gossips. Also he doesn't look old but his clothing and hairstyle choices by himself are too... ordinary? But during photoshoots when they style him up he shines and I absolutely drool.

And his project choices the past 10 years are mostly "heavy" and less accessible for casual viewers. I wish he'd be casted/accept projects with crowd-favorite writers like Kim Eun Hee (Kingdom, Signal) or Kim Eun Sook (Descendants, Goblin) or Park Ji Eun (Crash Landing, My Love from the Stars) or the Hong Sisters (Master's Sun, Hotel del Luna). He needs something really huge, more youthful, and buzz-worthy so all his older projects will be rediscovered.

I also want him to do a more popular show, but for me the problem is that most of the more popular shows that I tried to watch, I didn't like. Almost all the shows you mentioned, I tried and didn't finish. I was especially baffled by the success of Goblin as I thought the script was absolutely awful! Made me cringe...

I think the only successful show that I love is "Misaeng: Incomplete Life". That's it. So, for me personally, even though I want him to have a successful show, I'm still more grateful for him doing a show like "Beautiful mind" and "Robbers", that, maybe had low ratings, but are in my top three favorite Kdramas (my top favorite is FTLY :)  ) . I think that JH's way of working and insights are more suitable for international audiences than the Korean audience, which is why I'm hoping he will work on a show produced for Netflix, anything that will break him out of the limitations of Kdramas.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 2

3 hours ago, Jiyuu said:

Yay! I knew it! It seems new fans like us always end up absolutely loving him through FTLY. My journey and timeline is similar to yours. Watched kdramas long before, then stopped. First time to hear of JH during the pandemic (which I found odd too because I thought I knew all the major stars even if I wasn't watching kdramas actively).

I was thinking about this, though I can't stand Kim Eun Sook's dramas, it sure would give visibility to his amazing work. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, janghaesoo said:

Hi, this is the first time I post here, I was only reading all of your awesome posts. When you mention SOGC which drama are you referring to? Successful story of a bright girl?

Welcome! Have fun with us here! :grin:

It's also possible that the fact that he got married early also affected it- the shipping culture in Korea is very strong, and it looks like actors play along with it, for the most part. His scandal may also have something to do with it...

I don't think it's so much of his scandal (now) since it was donkey years ago but the fact that he's married with no rumours or gossips may be part of the reason. Indeed in any entertainment, shipping culture is very strong. And in order to maintain the publicity & popularity & a sense of existence, most artistes play along with shipping esp actors who's got tonnes of fangirling fans. Even if they may have secretly gotten married, they kept it secret. 

In JH case, he openly tells everyone that he's married & he also openly declared his love for his wife on tv which we've seen time & time again. So, what's there to ship about him with someone? The only ship that got people interested was the FTLY ship but soon burst when his wifey got pregnant with #3. And if we count the math, she conceived during the filming of FTLY. What a disappointment to those people who wished he divorced his wife. He didn't divorce, he got a princess! Hahaha!

but I don't think many directors will react the same to that. So that might also be affecting the projects he gets.

Agree too! Didn't he have a disagreement with the Director of Innocent Thing? Do refresh my memory if I got it wrong. I vaguely recalled it was something like the Director didn't use his suggestion or something??

I recalled there was an artiste (female) who mentioned that there was a Director she worked with, just do whatever he tells you to do. He doesn't need (her) input about how the character is to be done.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

I don't think it's so much of his scandal (now) since it was donkey years ago

I think  you are right now, but I do think it affected where JH's career went, considering how popular most of the actors that started out around the same time he did are. For sure it derailed his career for a while...

but the fact that he's married with no rumours or gossips may be part of the reason. Indeed in any entertainment, shipping culture is very strong. And in order to maintain the publicity & popularity & a sense of existence, most artistes play along with shipping esp actors who's got tonnes of fangirling fans. Even if they may have secretly gotten married, they kept it secret. 

In JH case, he openly tells everyone that he's married & he also openly declared his love for his wife on tv which we've seen time & time again. So, what's there to ship about him with someone? The only ship that got people interested was the FTLY ship but soon burst when his wifey got pregnant with #3. And if we count the math, she conceived during the filming of FTLY. What a disappointment to those people who wished he divorced his wife. He didn't divorce, he got a princess! Hahaha!

Exactly :) He also said that the princess was a surprise, right? That they weren't planning on having another kid after the boys, but then she came- his princess... :please:

I think the reason his parents and agency objected to him getting married was exactly this, they knew how the Korean fangirls like to ship and fantasize. I love it that JH didn't listen and just went for it! Shows he has his priorities straight! :)

Agree too! Didn't he have a disagreement with the Director of Innocent Thing? Do refresh my memory if I got it wrong. I vaguely recalled it was something like the Director didn't use his suggestion or something??

I remember someone shared that here- that JH took that job to prove that he can work with this director, after he already had a tense relationship with him during the filming of Volcano high- I mean, I would be tense too if a director would have caused me to lose consciousness and almost drown...  They said that JH disagreed so much with the director on Innocent thing that they sometimes two versions to a scene- the director's version and JH's version, but at the end none of JH's suggestions were used. So no wonder that movie is such a mess. The director should have listened to JH... <_<

I recalled there was an artiste (female) who mentioned that there was a Director she worked with, just do whatever he tells you to do. He doesn't need (her) input about how the character is to be done.

I'm sure many directors are like that, and at times they might be justified, but that's just not the way JH works...

As we've thought, JH filmed another variety show, now with Choi Kisup. Looks like he's having fun this year, hanging out with his friends! I guess it was more a favor as Kisup wrote "He was like a real brother to me". So sweet! But Choi Kisup really needs to stop using that filter when he's with JH. Makes JH face so narrow, he looks like his 12!

One of the tags translated into "#Entertainment outing"- is that a name of a show? 

• Like 3

On 2/4/2021 at 1:39 AM, Biology Lesson said:

In the various variety shows that JH did, I was always amused by how fast people start calling him Hyukie. He's just that cute! :D Hyukie or Hyuka

Actually, I saw an interview in the old Um Ki Joon thread today where he talks about out of the 76 artists, Jang Hyuk is one of the people he kept in contact with like occasionally go drinking and talk about acting.  I also see on instagram JH liking Um Ki Joon's stuff on the sidushq_star profile.

• Like 4

@Biology Lesson Seriously Choi Kisup! Stop it with the filter!!! We want to see Jang Hyuk’s unfiltered beauty (of course CKS won’t listen to us as he is trying to look better himself and doesn’t care that he is turning his friend into Benjamin Button lol) 

I miss him in dramas!!!!! But, this is better than not seeing him at all. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Wow, lots of news today- looks like JH is also going to appear on "Sumi's lodge", an interview show, next Thursday. According to the translation of this IG post (I don't know what is the source), Sumi is a fan of JH and she invited him to the show:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLYaD3MJQhy/

Translation:

"Actor Jang Hyuk will appear as the second guest of "Beautiful Villa".
Channel SKY and KBS 2TV’s production team of "Beautiful Villa" stated on February 17: "Actor Jang Hyuk visited the Villa as the second guest after the first guest, Gu Hye Sun, and recently ended the recording." Special partners are shooting together, so stay tuned."

The visit of the villa’s owner, Kim Soomi’s favorite actor Jang Hyuk, made the villa boiling. Kim Soo-mi seemed to become a "girl fan" because of Jang Hyuk's visit, and shyly hid behind the guards of the villa, showing a fresh look. On the same day, Zhang Hyuk will practice the Absolute Power Chart with his partner. As a martial artist and the father of the three brothers and sisters, he will publish a "very private story".

"Beautiful Villa" is co-produced by SKY and KBS, a comprehensive TV drama entertainment channel of the KT Group's broadcasting channel provider skyTV (Sky TV). This program will be broadcast at 10:40 pm on the 18th."

Here there is a link to an article:

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/076/0003693938

If you guys don't know this woman, she is a real veteran in the Korean entertainment world and she's really sassy. I saw her in this vid, and as you can see she is not shy :)  A meeting between her and our shy guy probably will be very interesting... :D

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2