To all chinese friends, have a happy reunion (11 feb) & a happy chinese new year (12 feb). May the year of the Ox bring to all of us here - good health, happiness & prosperity. :grin:

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1
  • Replies 23.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prettysup

• azureblue7

• Biology Lesson

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had to show my friends on here one of my Christmas presents  Hope you all had a blessed Christmas.  

Finally got to watch Hyuk's movie on the big screen! Guess it was not surprising that I saw more men than women watching the movie. Probably the genre appeals more to male audience. Anyway, I was supe

Hi, everyone!  I'm Darla. I am new here and have browsed a bit but haven't posted before. I didn't discover Jang Hyuk until recently and have been making my way through his dramas after first seeing h

18 minutes ago, budgerie said:

To all chinese friends, have a happy reunion (11 feb) & a happy chinese new year (12 feb). May the year of the Ox bring to all of us here - good health, happiness & prosperity. :grin:

Happy lunar new year! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

This was hilarious and adorable @azureblue7 :fullofhearts:

Hey, can you share what programs or apps you use to edit your videos? You are getting more and more creative! It’s awesome! 

Thank you! I used Snow and Power director app to add filters and edit the clips. :)

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

Finally, I've finish Tazza-War Of Flowers. This is one of the few JH's drama that I don't watch yet. Mostly coz it hard to find decent English sub years ago until it lay forgotten. I'm not quite like it maybe coz I can't understand most of the gambling scene. The most enjoyable part was when Goni in prison. JH with an assemble cast totally a pleasure to watch. Even I can't understand why they want to help him in the first place. All I can think was, it only for the plot devices. lol.

As for second male lead, I don't know which one is worse. Kim Min Joon in Tazza or Oh Ji Ho in Chuno. At least I can relate with Tae Ha in Chuno but never in Young Min case. *Even his death are too simple for me for what he had done. Till the end I still think he doesn't deserved Goni's friendship at all not even Nan Suk affection. 

On the contrary, from popular opinion that I read Han Ye Seul indeed had chemistry with JH. She's easy to watch and I like the way she speak, so soft. It suit with Goni's tempered attitude. And their couple ring was simple but yet so beautiful. One of the flaw is, they never told each other that they love each other. Even YM confess once. Well, maybe action speak louder than words.

It was not an easy drama to watch unless you're avid JH fan. There's many boring and hard to understand scene for me. What made me go on was the revenge plot, Kim Gap Soo and of course uri JH.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
24 minutes ago, yoeda said:

Finally, I've finish Tazza-War Of Flowers. This is one of the few JH's drama that I don't watch yet. Mostly coz it hard to find decent English sub years ago until it lay forgotten. I'm not quite like it maybe coz I can't understand most of the gambling scene. The most enjoyable part was when Goni in prison. JH with an assemble cast totally a pleasure to watch. Even I can't understand why they want to help him in the first place. All I can think was, it only for the plot devices. lol.

Well, that makes you stronger than me! :D I personally couldn't finish Tazza- I tried, but near the end, by the 100th time Goni behaved like an idiot and made another stupid mistake, I just couldn't take it, so I stopped watching. Another thing I hated about this show was JH's look- both his hairstyle and fake facial hair really annoyed me! 

I agree that the most enjoyable part was the prison time, and this why I can't hate this show- not for Goni, but for the number of actors JH met on this show, that ended up being life time friends to him. For that I am glad JH did Tazza. 

Also, in Midas he had a great prison sequence, right?

As for second male lead, I don't know which one is worse. Kim Min Joon in Tazza or Oh Ji Ho in Chuno. At least I can relate with Tae Ha in Chuno but never in Young Min case. *Even his death are too simple for me for what he had done. Till the end I still think he doesn't deserved Goni's friendship at all not even Nan Suk affection. 

I'm the opposite to you on this- Tae Ha I couldn't stand watching- I actually fast forwarded through his scenes, he bored me that much! Young Min? I didn't mind him. He was corrupt and I understood that.

On the contrary, from popular opinion that I read Han Ye Seul indeed had chemistry with JH. She's easy to watch and I like the way she speak, so soft. It suit with Goni's tempered attitude. And their couple ring was simple but yet so beautiful. One of the flaw is, they never told each other that they love each other. Even YM confess once. Well, maybe action speak louder than words.

I also like Han Ye Seul, it's a pity they didn't make her role meatier. I loved the fact that she had her revenge quest, independent of Goni, she was proactive and brave. I liked that. I'm just sad that they didn't go all the way with her, and simply made her follow that idiot Goni. 

Another thing that bothered me about the show, but has more to do with it being a K drama, is again, the inability to address sexuality, which crippled the development of the characters. So, I was supposed to believe that Young Min never had sex with anyone in his years in the crime organization? and that that woman was willing to accept his rejection? Why did he even reject her? If he's corrupt, go all the way! 

And also the girl- so she infiltrate the organization, but no one ever comes on to her?! She's never put in a compromising situation?! This inability of Kdramas to address these questions is part of the reason I don't watch them anymore, besides the usual formulaic writing- it's like they are written for children, not for adults!

It was not an easy drama to watch unless you're avid JH fan. There's many boring and hard to understand scene for me. What made me go on was the revenge plot, Kim Gap Soo and of course uri JH.

The actors for me were the best part of the show, hands done! Also- that scene in which that guy licked JH's face! Lucky guy... :hwaiting2:

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Well, that makes you stronger than me! :D I personally couldn't finish Tazza- I tried, but near the end, by the 100th time Goni behaved like an idiot and made another stupid mistake, I just couldn't take it, so I stopped watching. Another thing I hated about this show was JH's look- both his hairstyle and fake facial hair really annoyed me! 

I agree that the most enjoyable part was the prison time, and this why I can't hate this show- not for Goni, but for the number of actors JH met on this show, that ended up being life time friends to him. For that I am glad JH did Tazza. 

Also, in Midas he had a great prison sequence, right?

I'm the opposite to you on this- Tae Ha I couldn't stand watching- I actually fast forwarded through his scenes, he bored me that much! Young Min? I didn't mind him. He was corrupt and I understood that.

I also like Han Ye Seul, it's a pity they didn't make her role meatier. I loved the fact that she had her revenge quest, independent of Goni, she was proactive and brave. I liked that. I'm just sad that they didn't go all the way with her, and simply made her follow that idiot Goni. 

Another thing that bothered me about the show, but has more to do with it being a K drama, is again, the inability to address sexuality, which crippled the development of the characters. So, I was supposed to believe that Young Min never had sex with anyone in his years in the crime organization? and that that woman was willing to accept his rejection? Why did he even reject her? If he's corrupt, go all the way! 

And also the girl- so she infiltrate the organization, but no one ever comes on to her?! She's never put in a compromising situation?! This inability of Kdramas to address these questions is part of the reason I don't watch them anymore, besides the usual formulaic writing- it's like they are written for children, not for adults!

The actors for me were the best part of the show, hands done! Also- that scene in which that guy licked JH's face! Lucky guy... :hwaiting2:

For me Midas was much better than this. At least I watch it 2 time and mind you in my younger age. I skip what I don't like but can watch JH being avengeful in Midas all day. I will still watch it if not for my hard disc that contain Midas file was broken. Yeah, the prison scene in Midas also was fun. 

Goni stop being an idiot once he break out of prison. If he being an idiot after that, it must be there was a planned follow. Younger Goni was idiot with heart. He loves unconditionally and that's why I don't think YM deserved him. You right about YM, the inability made his character boring. Compare to Tae Ha, he was a loyal soldier and reading that already made his character boring from the get go. :joy:

Nan Suk was much better than Madam Jung. She was another character that I can't stand beside YM. Even for Ah Kwee minion, I can feel for him. I can applaud his loyalty and his idiotness. lol. And the actor really look pitiful with his soft voice but being a gangster. haha

I don't want to nitpick about facial hair and anything. Maybe just let his hair down for his younger years to make him in high school more believable. Also, the time stamp! There's none! The way we knew time flyby was coz all the gadget that keep changing. But, it easier if they just put what year so we easily follow Goni's age. So, Goni being an idiot still ok for me because he was still in teenage years before he goes to prison. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
35 minutes ago, yoeda said:

For me Midas was much better than this. At least I watch it 2 time and mind you in my younger age. I skip what I don't like but can watch JH being avengeful in Midas all day. I will still watch it if not for my hard disc that contain Midas file was broken. Yeah, the prison scene in Midas also was fun. 

Oh, completely agree! Midas is much better than Tazza! I was actually thinking about rewatching Midas... 

In fact, I think the plot of Midas was much better than Money Flower's. It was just the execution and acting in Money flower was so much better. Also, the girl was so much worse in Midas. So annoying... As to JH- I still don't understand why he decided to act that way in Midas, so impassive... But it's interesting to know that JH chose to do Money flower because he wanted to make up for Midas. The other thing that bothered me About Midas- JH's hair in the first part of the show... makes me cringe! (as you noticed, I'm shallow like that... :D).

Goni stop being an idiot once he break out of prison. If he being an idiot after that, it must be there was a planned follow. Younger Goni was idiot with heart. He loves unconditionally and that's why I don't think YM deserved him.

You right about YM, the inability made his character boring. Compare to Tae Ha, he was a loyal soldier and reading that already made his character boring from the get go. :joy:

I actually thought Goni was an idiot throughout the the show. He constantly would lose control and make stupid decisions... I just couldn't take it by the end! 

Nan Suk was much better than Madam Jung. She was another character that I can't stand beside YM. Even for Ah Kwee minion, I can feel for him. I can applaud his loyalty and his idiotness. lol. And the actor really look pitiful with his soft voice but being a gangster. haha

For sure Nam Suk was better than Madam Jung. Madam Jung was evil :) But I liked the performance of both actresses. I kinda wish JH will get another opportunity to act with Han Ye-Seul. She's one of the only Korean actresses that comes across to me as strong and sexy. 

I don't want to nitpick about facial hair and anything. Maybe just let his hair down for his younger years to make him in high school more believable. Also, the time stamp! There's none! The way we knew time flyby was coz all the gadget that keep changing. But, it easier if they just put what year so we easily follow Goni's age. So, Goni being an idiot still ok for me because he was still in teenage years before he goes to prison. 

I couldn't take Goni throughout the show... I was always waiting for him to show cunning as he was trained so extensively. Essentially I expected him to become like Pill Joo, but he never did...

Maybe I'll Rewatch Midas now... And just skip the first part and every scene JH has with  Lee Min-Jung. Isn't it strange that she was unable to show passion in Midas, while in Penthouse elephant... 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Hi, my friends & a happy valentine's day to all of you! Thought I would share with you my new video - it's a kdrama multicouples one - FTLY is one of the 3 featured shows and I really enjoyed weaving these 3 stories together. Sure hope you like it!  :heart4:

• Like 3
  • Love 4

A very nice review of The Swordsman. I Love that this reviewer notices just how unique JH's style... 

"One of the most striking things about The Swordsman is Hyuk’s physical performance. Tae-yul is the expected quiet warrior, but it’s the minor, almost minute things which make Tae-yul earn the reputation he’s known for. There’s an ease, a fluidity to Hyuk’s fighting that immediately makes any fighting sequence seem dangerous, even though it’s all staged. That kind of visceral intensity can’t be edited into existence nor can the presumption that quiet and still is menacing. Martial arts films from a variety of cultures have their own take on the blind fighter and, while The Swordsman isn’t exactly that given Tae-yul’s partial and fluctuating blindness, Hyuk’s small head tilts, kinesthetic positioning, and general characterization create a perception destroying warrior. In one sequence, for instance, Tae-yul is beset by a group of assassins. We, the audience, know something is coming yet, between Hyuk’s physical response to his environment and Choi’s direction, a communication is made that Tae-yul knows it, too. His response to the sudden aggression is swift, targeted, and without mercy. One surprising bit about the fights, while they are bloody and likely to elicit a reflexive verbal reaction from the audience, what’s displayed before us is not as bloodthirsty as you might expect. Even with The Night Comes For Us’s Joe Taslim playing the narrative’s bad guy, Lord Kurutai, the blood is there, but the viscera is not. This doesn’t distract or reduce the violence thanks to cinematographer Sohn Won-ho’s (#Alive) ability to capture Hyuk’s furiously fluid movements."

https://elementsofmadness.com/2021/02/14/swordsman/

One very clear conclusion from this review is that JH needs to do another action movie. Hopefully with a tighter story and (oh please!!!!) romance 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Blob 2
3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology LessonWow! What a great review. I almost wish someone would translate this for JH and send it to him. 

Isn't it? I guess since it's been a long time since I saw a martial arts movie, I missed how different JH's style is. And maybe since I've seen it so many times recently, I kinda got used to it. But so many people that don't know JH, have been commenting on it, that I figured I have to compare it to the style of others. So I randomly saw one of Joe Taslim's fight scenes, and it was so brutal! A lot of power put into each movement, very gritty. While JH's scenes are really like dancing-  a lot of finess... JH always says that the fight scenes have to be part of the acting, they have to convey some emotion, so I guess this is what he does. It's not fight scenes for the sake of the scenes themselves, but as an extension of the character. 

The only thing that bothers me is that those newbies that are introduced to JH here for the first time, will not know how JH is involved in the crafting of those scenes, since apparently there is no BTS added to the movie. And the promotion of the movie abroad is very spartan, even more than it was in Korea... 

• Like 6

People have been randomly posting old pics of JH and Jun Ji Hyun, and that made wonder about their friendship. It looks like they were inseparable for a while, working together on so many little projects after Windstruck. It's interesting that JH insisted that she was like his sister, even though he was unattached at the time, but then again- wasn't she the one who told on him to their agency when he went on date with some girl?! I wonder why... :) and nowadays they seem to have no connection at all. The only recent picture that I saw was him attending her wedding. Anyone knows the history here? What happened to this fantastic friendship?

• Like 2
On 2/13/2021 at 7:29 PM, Biology Lesson said:

And just skip the first part and every scene JH has with  Lee Min-Jung. Isn't it strange that she was unable to show passion in Midas, while in Penthouse elephant... 

I definitely agree. Kim Do Hyun & Lee Jung Yung were in "off mode" in the romance.

On 2/15/2021 at 12:34 AM, Biology Lesson said:

The only thing that bothers me is that those newbies that are introduced to JH here for the first time, will not know how JH is involved in the crafting of those scenes, since apparently there is no BTS added to the movie. And the promotion of the movie abroad is very spartan, even more than it was in Korea... 

I guess probably the Director didn't think it necessary to add in BTS. He just go straight for the movie (hahaha)!

23 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

The only recent picture that I saw was him attending her wedding. Anyone knows the history here? What happened to this fantastic friendship?

I think it's just simply he's married, she's married. Being "inseparable" like before would spark gossips. Maybe they do still keep in touch but discreetly, not wanting the media to know too much perhaps, knowing how well media can "blow" things out of proportion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Prettysup changed the title to Jang Hyuk 장혁 - current variety 'National Bang Bang Cook Cook', upcoming movie 'Tomb of the River’