19 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

he is not afraid to go overboard when the role calls for it, as at times is can come out great, but he can't always know when it's too much, and this is where he needs the director. 

Yup agree! Director-nim should have held the rein. Because from JH POV is how he wants to act a scene. From Director POV is how audience will look at it from the opposite side. Too much will irk the audience. His "gaebong ah" was too much for my liking.  

19 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

The interesting thing was that even JH said that he felt lost since the director wasn't directing him as he needed. So it's interesting that JH is aware of that need of his, which again shows how intelligent he is.

WOL was a project that had bad directing. Although he did well as his character (forgot his character name), but it was 1 drama that I would not re watch. 

14 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

Atleast for us this 'hatred' remains in the fandom and don't permeate the reality.

Didn't know that JH also had troll fans! But I mean, how do people become fake fans? Is either you like or you don't like. Hahaha! Maybe I ain't active in social media to notice.

• Like 3
  • Replies 23.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prettysup

• azureblue7

• Biology Lesson

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had to show my friends on here one of my Christmas presents  Hope you all had a blessed Christmas.  

Finally got to watch Hyuk's movie on the big screen! Guess it was not surprising that I saw more men than women watching the movie. Probably the genre appeals more to male audience. Anyway, I was supe

Hi, everyone!  I'm Darla. I am new here and have browsed a bit but haven't posted before. I didn't discover Jang Hyuk until recently and have been making my way through his dramas after first seeing h

7 hours ago, yoeda said:

Nah, I watch this but stop midway coz I found it ridicolus and can't stand the comment. They even had an actor category too. Call me jealous or what I don't care. I dont think this side know that JH was in top 10 for the average rating of his drama from 2010-2019. The graph fall lower only coz BM and some of cable channel rating. Even so BM was an underrated drama that many ppl love. Do you know what real deal? Watchmojo site. It from fan around the world voting and not from mere 1 or 2 person opinion. And Jjang Couple include in their list for best couple even for honorable mention still worth it consider with all the contenders.

That's what I'm saying- they didn't even search his name because they didn't know who he was! The person who did this video doesn't know K actors. What they first did is a search for the most popular K actors, took the names that google gave first or that were included in random "top korean actors" lists that they found and mapped them over the years! because JH's name didn't pop up in their search they didn't even map him compared to the rest. Obviously his name should have topped the list in 2010 and 2014 AND surprisingly, also in 2019. Why 2019? Because if you look at the mapping of the shows, FTLY (as "You are my destiny") made a comeback, probably because of COVID-19, and secretly, without anyone knowing about it, became super popular again. JNR name in the Actresses vid matches this, but in the actors vid, JH is no where to be found, because whoever made those "top Korean actors" lists simply didn't include JH. This why I think JH's fans should be making vids like those or else JH will continue to be overlooked

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

"Sloppy anti-war Charm" what does that mean? Sloppy- I understand :D, but anti-war? They mean that he is very mellow? I never understand Korean phrasing...

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
14 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

"Sloppy anti-war Charm" what does that mean? Sloppy- I understand :D, but anti-war? They mean that he is very mellow? I never understand Korean phrasing...

Hahaha! Just ignore it. Just bad Google translation. I take it that he will show his sloppy and cute charm again. 

Better translation here

Screenshot-20210207-113851-Instagram.jpg

cr. Owner

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
14 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Hahaha! Just ignore it. Just bad Google translation. I take it that he will show his sloppy and cute charm again. 

Better translation here

sloppy reverse charm...  sloppy and trying hard- That's JH! :hwaiting2:Also, seems that the cold didn't keep his chattering down...

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

What they first did is a search for the most popular K actors, took the names that google gave first or that were included in random "top korean actors" lists

his name should have topped the list in 2010 and 2014 AND surprisingly, also in 2019.

Out of curiousity, I googled most popular korean actor, really don't have JH in the first 50 places.

But given his popularity in Chuno, FTLY, MF, surely his name would have appeared. What happened?

• Like 2

I love this!

28 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Out of curiousity, I googled most popular korean actor, really don't have JH in the first 50 places.

But given his popularity in Chuno, FTLY, MF, surely his name would have appeared. What happened?

Well...I guess it may vary from country to country? At least he was voted no. 7 most handsome Korean actor in King Choice.

https://m.sohu.com/a/405353974_99913067/?pvid=000115_3w_a

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Chuno wasn't even included in the list, but IRIS was... I think again because they searched actors, and then searched the shows connected to them. 

The vid creator sent this link that, I guess, they used to create the vid. You can see the relative activity of searches. For example I did this search- 

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=fated to love you,you are my destiny,jang hyuk

Notice the bump in 2019 for "You are my destiny"? There was a similar bump for JNR and both led the list for a time. This is extraordinary- a show from 2014! And all this only from word of mouth. But since this went unnoticed, no one spoke about this. Interestingly enough, Chuno didn't show a similar bump in 2019.

I'm not saying that all actors do this, but one can pay google to advance a certain link in the search results. I'm sure that many agencies do this to promote their actor and shows. Also, lets face it- KPOP idols get much more traffic online, as well as actors that are singers or participate in popular variety shows. I think JH's name simply got drowned out in this. But, also, as I said, the people that create the lists of "The most popular whatever" are kdrama fans, and, as you guys said, the most popular shows are Rom coms and melos. Since JH most recent rom com is FTLY, those fans don't even remember him. And this is why I hope JH's fans will get more active from that respect.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
8 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

I must say again our hyukie is so so so handsome atm. :kiss_wink: Seriously hope he does a drama soon. I know I know.. I sound like a broken record already lol. 

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

I... don't know what to say anymore...

:7555_attack:

42 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

And more

This is my fav! Look at his eyes. :fullofhearts:

• Like 3
  • Love 3

@Biology Lesson Just a thought but could that bump for “You are my destiny” also have a relation to the new chinese version that came out (not sure if that was in 2019 or 2020) since all versions have had the same title(s) Fated to love you and You are my destiny, how does one differentiate to “which” people refer to when they search? It gets tricky I think

Also, besides “Chuno”, “The Slave Hunters” which I figure would show up at least in 2010 in Asia searches, I think Voice should probably appear at some point, that drama even had international versions (again, it would be hard for that drama title search not to get confused with the different versions, seasons, the reality show “The Voice” and simply the word “voice”, right? :P

It goes to show that there are a bunch of factors that can throw off these lists aside from the ones you already mentioned

Also, very strange to think that Jang Nara was the only one who “got popular” during Bright Girl and Fated to love you. It simply makes no sense for Jang Hyuk to not show up at least briefly during those times. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1
34 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

Hihi It's the return of Rocky!  Does he seem skinnier to you all though?  

Yeah, he does look thinner. Love this look. Hehe. But his buddy looks bigger lol. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Just a thought but could that bump for “You are my destiny” also have a relation to the new chinese version that came out (not sure if that was in 2019 or 2020) since all versions have had the same title(s) Fated to love you and You are my destiny, how does one differentiate to “which” people refer to when they search? It gets tricky I think

I think that also contributed, and probably also COVID-19. I did wonder about the fact that it was the name "You are my destiny" that got the bump. But if you look at the JNR and JH, both of them also got a bump- so it's possible that the Chinese version renewed interest in the Korean one. 

Also, besides “Chuno”, “The Slave Hunters” which I figure would show up at least in 2010 in Asia searches, I think Voice should probably appear at some point, that drama even had international versions (again, it would be hard for that drama title search not to get confused with the different versions, seasons, the reality show “The Voice” and simply the word “voice”, right? :P

It goes to show that there are a bunch of factors that can throw off these lists aside from the ones you already mentioned

Yep, I think you are right. For instance, I tried to compare IRIS to Chuno, but it was impossible cause IRIS is a name, so you have many unrelate searches, that make the comparison a bit tricky. You have to substract the base line of unrelated searches. 

I actually tried to do a similar search for "the best Korean shows" and only one result that I found had FTLY in it, and none had Chuno or Voice. These lists are very problematic and biased, and it annoys me that they actually might affect JH's career... <_<

Also, very strange to think that Jang Nara was the only one who “got popular” during Bright Girl and Fated to love you. It simply makes no sense for Jang Hyuk to not show up at least briefly during those times. 

They told me the reason why JH didn't appear- he wasn't included in the comparison! They wrote that they forgot him because he didn't appear in the google searches they did for popular actors.

This is the comparison of JH and JNR- https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=jang hyuk,Jang Nara

If you look at the comparison, you see that initially she was more popular, I think because she's a singer. It gave her a boost. But if you compare JH to her, you see that there were times in which his popularity was bigger than hers in terms of searches- in 2011, and 2014, and 2016. Later she again got more popular, probably due to all the rom coms and melos she did.

But It's also interesting to see the countries in which each is popular in, this is very surprising to me - JH is much more popular in almost all other countries, while JNR is more popular in Asia. I really hope JH's team is aware of this map...

1 hour ago, Ding77 said:

Yeah, he does look thinner. Love this look. Hehe. But his buddy looks bigger lol. 

How much thinner can he get?! I mean in Giant veteran he said that he weighs 63 kg. That's nothing. Any thinner and he'll disappear! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 2
22 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I hope the backlash ceased after the drama performed well and after they realized it wasn’t even a romance! The neeeerve to say LSK is not worthy of IU. He is a great actor! I thought she was perfect for her role too. 

Of course, in the end people loved the drama as it should have been. There are some people who have this constant urge to direct their annoyance at someone else. They are so quick to judge and too lazy to introspect. This type of behavior stands out more when the target is comparatively 'softer' like actors who are not that popular or who are not considered 'good looking'. The actors who don't match 'level' of their idols. Is this 'level' thing exclusive to Korean entertainment? As far as I remember I didn't see it in my country(although I don't follow our entertainers anymore). There are A listers, B listers and so on but I've never seen concerns about the mismatched 'levels'. Perhaps skills should be only 'level' to measure true worth of a professional. 

Doesn't this also happen with JH? People would have been less immune to his charms/skills if he also had large fandom and constant success to back him. 

Instead of being unfairly dismissed as an OTT performer he would have been admired for his great performances. 

Objectively speaking IU was the lucky person because she got to work with many great seniors. Popular idol actresses rarely get meaty roles. She was good in MM. Only downside is her few nutjob fans were deprived of shipping fantasies. :tounge_xd:

19 hours ago, yoeda said:

I think the case of MM was similar with WOL. The troll fan. I'm friend with IU's fan (Uaenas) mostly on Twitter and they really a bunch of good people and supporters.

Of course, I've already said that genuine fans can not behave in such manner. Although during WOL 1-2 real JH fans also crossed the line.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Prettysup changed the title to Jang Hyuk 장혁 - current variety 'National Bang Bang Cook Cook', upcoming movie 'Tomb of the River’