1 hour ago, Ding77 said:

But while we r on this topic, I think JH can understand English pretty well. He seemed to understand what they were explaining to him in his trip to US, u know the one where he was alone with only the cameramen. The translator could be nearby, but I think he can understand, just that he can't speak the language. 

He does watch a lot of movies.  Also, I think he wanted to learn more English at one point after Dance of the Dragon.  I think that's common to understand more, but can't speak when learning languages.  Sometime they can speak more, but shy or feel uncomfortable too.  Although, like anything if you don't use it like with speaking, it'll be harder or you lose more of what you have.

• Like 6

Looks like they are going to release the preview for the swordsman tomorrow and its PR agency wants the fans to help make it go viral...

1 hour ago, Ding77 said:

But while we r on this topic, I think JH can understand English pretty well. He seemed to understand what they were explaining to him in his trip to US, u know the one where he was alone with only the cameramen. The translator could be nearby, but I think he can understand, just that he can't speak the language. 

I think you are right. Also in the trip to the grand canyon, he was to one to use the right word for "powder". I think his English vocabulary is quite big and he can understand English perfectly. I think the reason he's uncomfortable speaking English in the same reason why he practices over and over his text for short promos and also why he prepares in advance things to say in interviews or variety shows. He doesn't like to make mistakes and he wants to create a certain image. If he can't be perfect- he won't speak :) 

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Blame it on JH that we're on the topic of language! Hahaha!

Being a JH fan is very enriching...

• Like 5
  • Wiggle 1

39 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

Are Indonesian and Malay difficult languages to learn?

If I want to learn a new language now, it would be Korean. Lol. :P 

8 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

He does watch a lot of movies.  Also, I think he wanted to learn more English at one point after Dance of the Dragon.  I think that's common to understand more, but can't speak when learning languages.  Sometime they can speak more, but shy or feel uncomfortable too.  Although, like anything if you don't use it like with speaking, it'll be harder or you lose more of what you have.

U are right there. Having watched so many movies, he should hv no problem understanding but may not be confident in speaking. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

7 minutes ago, budgerie said:

For me, the malay language isn't difficult because the spelling is like english, using alphabet. But like all languages, have to speak frequently to get the hang of it. Only thing now is I've returned the written part to my teacher already. As in the proper grammar writing. :grimace:But for bahasa indonesia, I never could manage it.  

When I was a kid spelling thing itself was so difficult to grasp. I still remember the trauma when I mistakenly wrote 'pigeon' as 'pigon' in a school test and couldn't get perfect score. Still don't understand function of extra 'e'.  Why can't it just be 'pigon'?

Anyway learning language from another language family can be more difficult. I thought you were native Malay. How many languages do you speak?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ding77 said:

If I want to learn a new language now, it would be Korean. Lol. :P 

U are right there. Having watched so many movies, he should hv no problem understanding but may not be confident in speaking. 

Hihi lets do it!  You know some website teach you through clips from kdramas.  I wish it was JH's clips sigh...

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

On 8/24/2020 at 4:16 PM, dramafan33 said:

So yeah I also don’t think there’s any drama I hope he was part of, although maybe Mr Sunshine, but he would’ve needed to speak english a bit more fluently than he tends to (he would’ve looked beautiful in that uniform though). And if he had played Dong Mae (my favorite guy in it) he was similar to Daegil, so it wouldn’t have felt new. So yeah, I don’t know. 

I'd kill to see JH dressed in the absolutly beautiful kimonos Dong Mae wears in Mr Sunshine. He would rock the look. But it's true that Daegil and Dong Mae are characters that feel very similar. When watching Mr Sunshine, every time DM was on the screen I felt exactly the same as with Daegil, i.e. being torn between finding them utterly sexy but at the same time wanting badly to slap them out of their (romantic) stupor. Well, to be true, Daegil was way more sexy than Dong Mae by miles. DM felt like a poor man's Daegil but with better robes :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

7 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

When I was a kid spelling thing itself was so difficult to grasp. I still remember the trauma when I mistakenly wrote 'pigeon' as 'pigon' in a school test and couldn't get perfect score. Still don't understand function of extra 'e'.  Why can't it just be 'pigon'?

Anyway learning language from another language family can be more difficult. I thought you were native Malay. How many languages do you speak?

I guess the saying that everyone has their strength is so true. When I was in school, I was kinda 'gifted' in the language department :lol: but I sucked big time in math/physic/chemistry. I simply die at subjects that I had to calculate, not addition/subtraction/division/multiplication but you know those real math stuff, ie. algebra & rubbish (sorry to math fans here). I hated it when I had to do chemistry experiment, I just couldn't remember those chemistry forumla, what atoms & what hydrogen sulfate those kind of stuff. To answer your question, by virtue of birth, I'm chinese (hahaha). I could speak/understand (apart from english) malay & mandarin + 4 other dialect group. I had a very good friend from Manila during my school days & he taught me some tagalog so after he returned to his country, no one spoke with me & soon the language was forgotten. (Sorry this is so off topic from the forum but ya, we're talking all sorts of topics until JH comes up with something for us to talk about). :P

7 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Yeah! We are going to reach 1000 pages soon :wow2:

Are we the only fans who are active? Is there any other celebrity whose forum is active like ours?

• Like 6

7 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

Hihi lets do it!  You know some website teach you through clips from kdramas.  I wish it was JH's clips sigh...

Really?! If they use JH's, I think I can be a very very very good student. :lol: But based on the subs and the Korean spoken in the movies, I feel English and Korean are very different for e. G. in structure of the sentences. Some Korean words are even Chinese, so knowing Chinese would make learning Korean easier maybe? 

@corey Can u read and understand Korean? And what's the difference between formal and informal speaking? They all sound the same to me. :sweatingbullets:

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

I guess the saying that everyone has their strength is so true. When I was in school, I was kinda 'gifted' in the language department :lol: but I sucked big time in math/physic/chemistry. I simply die at subjects that I had to calculate, not addition/subtraction/division/multiplication but you know those real math stuff, ie. algebra & rubbish (sorry to math fans here). I hated it when I had to do chemistry experiment, I just couldn't remember those chemistry forumla, what atoms & what hydrogen sulfate those kind of stuff. To answer your question, by virtue of birth, I'm chinese (hahaha). I could speak/understand (apart from english) malay & mandarin + 4 other dialect group. I had a very good friend from Manila during my school days & he taught me some tagalog so after he returned to his country, no one spoke with me & soon the language was forgotten. (Sorry this is so off topic from the forum but ya, we're talking all sorts of topics until JH comes up with something for us to talk about). :P

Are we the only fans who are active? Is there any other celebrity whose forum is active like ours?

I think the forums of those hallyu stars are a lot more active. They seem to appear a lot under Hot Topics esp Hyun Bin and SYJ's after CLOY. BTW, so envious u know Mandarin, many of JH 's stuffs hv Chinese subs. 

While I used to score quite OK in Chemistry, I never managed to memorise the periodic table. Lol. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Seeing how Joe Taslim is so easy with English, while so many Koreans (including JH) struggle with it, I wonder if in indonesia English is an official language or more commonly used? I had a friend who grew up in Malaysia, while her family were Chinese in origin. To my surprise, she said that in her house they actually spoke English. Is this common in many Asian countries?

English mostly a second language here in Malaysia. Like @budgerie said in school English is mandatory subject in public school. 

I think the problem with Korean is they are same like Japanese. There are really proud with their culture, so learning English is not their priority. like Japanese said why they need to learn English if others can learn their language. But, I think the mind like this kinda backfired to them especially the artist coz it's hard for them to go internationally. In SK star that fluent with English got more exposure and being a first pick in Netflix or Hollywood produce film and drama like Bae Do Na or Lee Santa opps Lee Byung Hyun. I think that's the main reason JH doesn't do Green Hornet.

13 hours ago, Batara Aruna said:

I'm Indonesian, even though Malay and Indonesian are similar, I think Malaysia has more adopted words from English since Malaysia colonized by the British (CMIIW). Indonesian is a mixed of Malay and adopted words from English, Dutch, and Portuguese. We speak Indonesian and local languages (different province has difference language and dialect) in daily life, but we are familiar with English, especially for business.

I have a business partner with Malaysian, but I'm more comfortable communicate with them in English, since there are a lot of differences between Malaysian Malay and Indonesian Malay :D.

I hv some Indonesian friend since my first soompi day. we communicate on Twitter these day mostly but we always using English. lol. I can understand Indonesian mostly but like you said they have many dialect. :crazymad:

Malaysia also have many dialect but when we're writing and talking mostly we use Bahasa Melayu that we learn in school. 

11 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

Are Indonesian and Malay difficult languages to learn?

I think I read somewhere Burmese/Myanmar is so difficult to learn. lol

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

@yoeda Was Green Hornet even good? I believe the character was sort of a mute right? So maybe that’s not the reason :P

Also, isn’t it common for koreans to study abroad, specially in the USA? I had no problem finding people who understood english in Seoul. I’ve heard Japan is a lot more closed in that sense. 

Anyway, it is beneficial for everyone to learn many languages for so many reasons. It’s always a plus, imo and the more languages, the better. 

Anyway, congratulations to us for 1000 pages! Let’s Paaaarty! 
:piggydance:

tenor.gif?itemid=12004278

jh_robber_fighterdancer.gif

2015-02-15+00_17_43.gif

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

11 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Prettysup But he grew his hair out for Chuno and for the first time he interpreted Bangwon in the movie too. Both were filmed before Swordsman and SOGC. So, he probably always preferred not using wigs, if possible. It makes sense, wigs look fake in general. 

I guess he usually grow out the hair for the front part so that the hairline will look more natural when pulled up and combed back, but it is impossible to grow real hair till the full length for period dramas, that will take years to grow. So usually they settle for partial wigs.

And yeah congrats everyone for 1000 pages !!

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

If they use JH's, I think I can be a very very very good student. :lol:

I did try to learn korean (by self) through website but I gave up. The heart is willing but the mind is weak now. Cannot remember just cannot remember.

so envious u know Mandarin, many of JH 's stuffs hv Chinese subs. 

Can I tell you that I have no choice? I'm a chinese so my 2nd language in school has got to be chinese although I did try to persuade my parents if I could do bahasa as a 2nd language but I got rejected. :blink:To me, chinese is difficult because of the writing.

While I used to score quite OK in Chemistry, I never managed to memorise the periodic table. Lol. 

What's the saying...left brain right brain stuff? I cannot do things that requires math/phy/chem. :bawling:

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

I guess he usually grow out the hair for the front part so that the hairline will look more natural when pulled up and combed back, but it is impossible to grow real hair till the full length for period dramas, that will take years to grow. So usually they settle for partial wigs.

And yeah congrats everyone for 1000 pages !!

He seems to hv the tendency to keep his hair quite long, maybe easier to work around for his next project, either to just cut it or use long hair if it's sageuk? Anyway, he looks so cute with a pony tail bouncing in the gym. :P

26 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I did try to learn korean (by self) through website but I gave up. The heart is willing but the mind is weak now. Cannot remember just cannot remember.

Can I tell you that I have no choice? I'm a chinese so my 2nd language in school has got to be chinese although I did try to persuade my parents if I could do bahasa as a 2nd language but I got rejected. :blink:To me, chinese is difficult because of the writing.

What's the saying...left brain right brain stuff? I cannot do things that requires math/phy/chem. :bawling:

Knowing more languages is definitely a good thing, u hv to thank your parents for that hehe. :lol: I wanted to self learn some basic Korean, I wonder if that is do-able without going to proper classes. Lol. My sis has just started an online class to learn Spanish just for the purpose of watching Spanish drama w/o eng subs, and it requires 5 hours a day which is too intensive and time consuming for me lol. :joy: 

• Like 4