8 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I googled it and he actually was nominated for a Baeksang for The Merchant too :)

Did he get a Baeksang nomination for The Merchant? I don't think so, where did you get the info from?

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Jang Hyuk did win that award for Chuno

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Slave_Hunters

Yes he won the 3rd Korean Drama Awards for Best Actor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Korea_Drama_Awards

And his look on the red carpet:

SSI_20101002193644_V.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

10 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@budgerie The Merchant was long, and it was so bad!

Oh, my "historical" is not The Merchant that type. My historical is like Queen Seondeok or Jumong that type (Jumong remains 1 of my fav). MC would have been 1 of my fav too had it focused on BW & not the 2 leads + the FL. It would have been a good drama (for me) if it was focused on BW, the King & the guy who acted as NJ. 

I enjoyed Carlos, Rey Emperador, but before that, the same production company made “Isabel” (it had three seasons) Amazing show! 

Yes I so enjoyed Carlos, Rey Emperador. Initially when I watched it, their wedding night scene was shown. Subsequently it was "removed" perhaps too spicy? Lol. 

I watched "Isabel" only 1 season if I remembered correctly. I had difficulty watching with subtitles at that time. 

I recommend you to watch The Magnificient Century Kosem, if you can sit through "Isabel" 3 seasons, you should be able to sit through Kosem too. I like the drama. I only rant because they changed the original FL.

Ratings is what it takes to get those nominations, imo. 

I know JH wants to do shows that is not the ordinary role but because of his such decision, also makes it difficult for him to be nominated if the ratings is not desirable. Leave us all JH fans aside, how many random people out there would pick out WOL to watch or BPP or TMWYS? You know what I mean? For that matter, even BM.

• Like 2

There is an article today comparing 'The Swordsman' to 2 other previous movies :

Jang Hyuk's 'The Swordsman' Fury + Chasing Action .. Is it going to be a box office hit?

The movie "The Swordsman" (directed by Choi Jae-hoon) aims to continue the box office success of "John Wick" and "Unstoppable"

"John Wick" and "Unstoppable" received much love for maximizing the thrilling catharsis with action and chase that began with the anger of the protagonist who was deprived of something precious.

"John Wick" caught the eye by adding a stylish action to the story of retired legendary killer John Wick (Keanu Reeves) starting a relentless revenge to protect his dog.

"Unstoppable" led the box office by exploding adrenaline with Dong-cheol (Ma Dong-seok), who turned into an angry bull after his wife was kidnapped.

Attention is also drawn to Jang Hyuk's real-life chase action "The Swordsman," which has brought out a knife of revenge following the two works.

movie_image.jpg?type=m427_320_2

IVEaz8NmBadHTXgVNl1vhCd1MS6k.jpg&type=sc

movie_image.jpg?type=m665_443_2

http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=23854985

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

Did he get a Baeksang nomination for The Merchant? I don't think so, where did you get the info from?

I simply googled "jang hyuk nominations" and that was the first nomination I saw.

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Jang Hyuk did win that award for Chuno

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Slave_Hunters

Indeed. Thanks....

Yes he won the 3rd Korean Drama Awards for Best Actor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Korea_Drama_Awards

And his look on the red carpet:

SSI_20101002193644_V.jpg

Strange that when I googled "korea drama awards" and jang hyuk I got nothing... So what is the deal with this award show?Was this the only time JH attended it? I have to say it looks much more prestigious than the award shows of the networks, that often look like they high school ceremonies...

• Like 2

Award in Korean more to Who Attended The Ceremony awards. lol. I read about this last night when @Biology Lesson asking about the awards. Chuno got robbed the most in Baeksang that year. But, not only Chuno that year BAeksang is a mess. What I saw 2009/2010 year is the most competitive in drama. it have Iris, Queen Seondeok, Dong Yi and not to forget Chuno. So Baeksang like just throwing the awards randomly and Kim Nam Gil win rookie awards even he's in the industry since 2003 for Lee Santa to win Best Actor. lol. 

https://www.dramabeans.com/2010/03/46th-baeksang-arts-awards/

58 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

There is an article today comparing 'The Swordsman' to 2 other previous movies :

Jang Hyuk's 'The Swordsman' Fury + Chasing Action .. Is it going to be a box office hit?

The movie "The Swordsman" (directed by Choi Jae-hoon) aims to continue the box office success of "John Wick" and "Unstoppable"

"John Wick" and "Unstoppable" received much love for maximizing the thrilling catharsis with action and chase that began with the anger of the protagonist who was deprived of something precious.

"John Wick" caught the eye by adding a stylish action to the story of retired legendary killer John Wick (Keanu Reeves) starting a relentless revenge to protect his dog.

"Unstoppable" led the box office by exploding adrenaline with Dong-cheol (Ma Dong-seok), who turned into an angry bull after his wife was kidnapped.

Attention is also drawn to Jang Hyuk's real-life chase action "The Swordsman," which has brought out a knife of revenge following the two works.

movie_image.jpg?type=m427_320_2http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=23854985

I kinda want JH to be a Korean JW. lol. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, yoeda said:

What I saw 2009/2010 year is the most competitive in drama. it have Iris, Queen Seondeok, Dong Yi and not to forget Chuno.

I don't really follow award programme so I have no idea who won or who didn't. But Queen Seondeok/Dong Yi were big production at that time right? I love both programme (QS & DY). I wish JH would get to act with the "right" people. He has skill/talent in his craft, he needs to work with the "right" people to _______what word is suitable? @Biology LessonFill in the blank for me...hahaha! Enhance his work?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I simply googled "jang hyuk nominations" and that was the first nomination I saw.

Ah ok i see it now, it was for Most Popular Actor award and not an Acting Award, I don't even know they had nominations for this category, thought they usually just announce the winner only. You can see the list here for Baeksang 2016 - they have nominees for the awards category but not the popular category :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/52nd_Baeksang_Arts_Awards

Anyway you can refer to his wiki page to see his complete list of nominations and wins.

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

@Prettysup @yoeda A bit of pressure for Swordsman there. I mean really? I wouldn’t want to expect much from a movie that had so many obstacles to get finished and released. I’ll be content if its decent and entertaining. 

Haha well, actually I think no pressure at all, coz personally I don't have high expectations too. I guess the author of that article may be just an optimistic person.

• Like 4

@Prettysup Looking at his wiki, I see that the networks have had at least the good sense to at least nominate him for almost everything :P I guess I can forgive them “a little”

Btw, are you the one who updates his wiki? And if so? Can we petition to change his photo :lol:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jang_Hyuk

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Prettysup Looking at his wiki, I see that the networks have had at least the good sense to at least nominate him for almost everything :P I guess I can forgive them “a little”

Btw, are you the one who updates his wiki? And if so? Can we petition to change his photo :lol:

Lol. I thought I am the only one wondering why they decided on using that photo. :P then i figured maybe they wanted to show his signature 3 fingers pose. :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

30 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I don't really follow award programme so I have no idea who won or who didn't. But Queen Seondeok/Dong Yi were big production at that time right? I love both programme (QS & DY). I wish JH would get to act with the "right" people. He has skill/talent in his craft, he needs to work with the "right" people to _______what word is suitable? @Biology LessonFill in the blank for me...hahaha! Enhance his work?

Oh, as I've said a few days ago, from my limited experience, the K-drama industry doesn't deserve him or his talent. It's too limited and too formulaic. In all my discussions with you guys, I was trying to find who are the "right" people in the industry that produce quality shows, and I couldn't find them. There are several very good Kdramas, but they are random, and I didn't see the people involved in their production consistently producing quality shows. Sure, there are expensive productions that produce high rated shows, but that doesn't make them good... The only person in the K industry that I've seen that has an unusual number of good shows under his belt, is JH. And even if they are not the best, his presence makes those shows entertaining, at the very least.This is why I suggested he starts working with Netflix, to break away from the Kdrama industry...

The only people I'd love him to work with are the writers and directors of FTLY and BM. That's it. No one else that I can think of... @budgerie you know more shows than me, in Korea and outside of it, who would you consider to be the "right" people? 

3 hours ago, yoeda said:

Award in Korean more to Who Attended The Ceremony awards. lol. I read about this last night when @Biology Lesson asking about the awards. Chuno got robbed the most in Baeksang that year. But, not only Chuno that year BAeksang is a mess. What I saw 2009/2010 year is the most competitive in drama. it have Iris, Queen Seondeok, Dong Yi and not to forget Chuno. So Baeksang like just throwing the awards randomly and Kim Nam Gil win rookie awards even he's in the industry since 2003 for Lee Santa to win Best Actor. lol. 

https://www.dramabeans.com/2010/03/46th-baeksang-arts-awards/

And the Baeksang is the most prestigious awards in Korean TV? OK... Never mind then... :) 

3 hours ago, yoeda said:

I kinda want JH to be a Korean JW. lol. 

Ooh! Me too. I actually think he would work wonderfully with Keanu Reeves, as he also does a lot of his stunts. So JH would fit that production very well... My only problem is that the only JW I liked was the first one... :) 

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Prettysup @yoeda A bit of pressure for Swordsman there. I mean really? I wouldn’t want to expect much from a movie that had so many obstacles to get finished and released. I’ll be content if its decent and entertaining. 

Also- the promotion campaign didn't start yet! JH hasn't made any comment on the news, or any of the cast and crew. Everything is quiet except for the few recent articles.. I wonder what is the holdup?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

Yes sometimes I update the text portion as and when there is new info, but it is very hard to update the picture because of wiki copyright issues, they kept rejecting my picture no matter what I chose, so I have given up on that. 

1 hour ago, Ding77 said:

Lol. I thought I am the only one wondering why they decided on using that photo. :P then i figured maybe they wanted to show his signature 3 fingers pose. :lol:

Haha that's a good explanation.

17 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Also- the promotion campaign didn't start yet! JH hasn't made any comment on the news, or any of the cast and crew. Everything is quiet except for the few recent articles.. I wonder what is the holdup?

My guess is they may be skeptical of doing big promotions due to the current Covid situation in Korea? Anyway I think the press conference (if any) will only be held in Sept. And it will most likely be a virtual one. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

you know more shows than me, in Korea and outside of it, who would you consider to be the "right" people? 

Frankly, I only watch the drama. I don't usually bother who's the writer, who's the director, etc. Unless if a particular drama made me cry buckets (example : TJOF) I would find out who's the sickening writer who wrote such a sad story. 

My meaning of "right" people is, I feel that as much as JH has skill & talent, but he lacks the "marketing" aspect of it. He needs to be "marketed" - you know what I mean? That's my idea of right people.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, budgerie said:

Frankly, I only watch the drama. I don't usually bother who's the writer, who's the director, etc. Unless if a particular drama made me cry buckets (example : TJOF) I would find out who's the sickening writer who wrote such a sad story. 

What's TJOF? Should I try?

1 minute ago, budgerie said:

My meaning of "right" people is, I feel that as much as JH has skill & talent, but he lacks the "marketing" aspect of it. He needs to be "marketed" - you know what I mean? That's my idea of right people.

Oh, so you mean his agency? Yeah, I don't think that's going to change... JH is too loyal... :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Oh, so you mean his agency? Yeah, I don't think that's going to change... JH is too loyal... :)

Hmm is it loyalty or he may have a stake in the company? Chuno PD commented that not all JH's ideas are good ideas. An actor's job is to act. Perhaps, if an actor has too much control over his choices of work, it may not be entirely a good thing for his own career though he gets to choose his own work and decide to only do those that interest him? Marketing people are there for a reason. Even with his talent and looks, one still has to consider what the general audience like, I think? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

No. You won't like it. Because it's period drama, 58 episodes long & is about Immortal/Demon & supernatural powers. But it was a hit drama in 2015. It's a c drama, the journey of flower.

Loveline wise, teacher (master) falls in love with student (disciple) & is a big no no in ancient times. Sad drama.

Why do I feel his agency is not marketing him enough? Perhaps he's been there too long. Everyone is comfortable going about their own stuff to bother if he's been marketed enough (hahaha).

Chuno PD commented that not all JH's ideas are good ideas. An actor's job is to act. Perhaps, if an actor has too much control over his choices of work, it may not be entirely a good thing for his own career though he gets to choose his own work and decide to only do those that interest him? Marketing people are there for a reason. Even with his talent and looks, one still has to consider what the general audience like, I think? 

Definitely what I wanted to express. We may want him to do roles that are extraordinary & we know he can carry all his roles very well but the general public may not want to watch (except for us fans), how does he get good ratings or even award if the general public doesn't like the genre he chooses.

But then again, JH is not bothered about award. He's only concerned about his acting, his roles. True, but if that drama has low rating due to not popular with the general viewers, it'll also affect his next project right? Directors will not look his direction maybe. Every Director wants to do a project that has high ratings/viewership.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, budgerie said:

No. You won't like it. Because it's period drama, 58 episodes long & is about Immortal/Demon & supernatural powers. But it was a hit drama in 2015. It's a c drama, the journey of flower.

Loveline wise, teacher (master) falls in love with student (disciple) & is a big no no in ancient times. Sad drama.

Why do I feel his agency is not marketing him enough? Perhaps he's been there too long. Everyone is comfortable going about their own stuff to bother if he's been marketed enough (hahaha).

The Journey of Flower? Oh, that's the FL in Boss and Me. I prefer her other period drama Princess Agents, cos I don't like the ML in The Flower. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Ding77 said:

Hmm is it loyalty or he may have a stake in the company?

I personally think he also has a personal stake in the company, just from his unusual work practices and things that were mentioned about what he does in the agency. It's possible that it's just JH being his special self, but I think it's possible that his role in the agency is more than just an actor being represented by Sidus. 

36 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Well, we can go back to that snippet from Dragon club we spoke about not so long ago, discussing JH and variety shows. I noticed that many actors do variety shows and that gives them exposure. I think that will increase even more in the future, considering the cutting of drama numbers by the big networks. We know that JH himself doesn't want to do the more popular variety shows as he doesn't feel comfortable in them, and he only does them if his friends ask him to. This is on JH, not on his agency.

Then there is the matter of CFs- people have mentioned that he hasn't been doing them in recent years. Is it his choice? Is it his agency's? I don't know... 

How else can his agency promote him?

Chuno PD commented that not all JH's ideas are good ideas.

Not all of them, but many of them were very good and most probably were responsible for Chuno being so acclaimed and successful. And his ideas don't come from ego, or a need to make his role bigger, but from a desire to improve the show. The writers and director admitted that JH did more research than even they did, he suggested changing the way his character spoke depending on his situation, he used a martial arts style that fit his character in that time period, that even the stunt team weren't versed in, so JH had to choreograph the fights and mostly do them himself. Can anyone deny that those epic fights had a lot to do with Chuno's success? But the most important thing, for me, was that besides JH, most of the performances in the show were awful. And I blame the director for that. I'm not saying JH doesn't need to be directed, but that he needs to be directed differently... 

An actor's job is to act. Perhaps, if an actor has too much control over his choices of work, it may not be entirely a good thing for his own career though he gets to choose his own work and decide to only do those that interest him? Marketing people are there for a reason. Even with his talent and looks, one still has to consider what the general audience like, I think? 

If he was any different, he wouldn't be JH, would he?  :)  I mean, there is a reason why we are his fans, right? And it's not just his face or acting talent. At least not for me. It's his acting choices. I don't know how many times I've seen comments online from people that say that if JH is in a show, it must be good! They call him "the always dependable JH"! But it's not just his choices, it's what he does the moment he gets a role. It's him shocking his director in BM as LYO was loved by the audience, and the director couldn't figure out why. It's what he did to create LG AND 50% of MY, by JNR's own admission. It's him bringing into life BW in MC... There are so many examples... Mind you, I'm not saying that all of his shows or performances were good, but I am saying that an unusually high number of them were.

This is a question I asked before, but I will ask again now- knowing JH, in which of the highly rated shows in recent years, would you have liked to see JH?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

This is a question I asked before, but I will ask again now- knowing JH, in which of the highly rated shows in recent years, would you have liked to see JH?

Almost none, the only ones that come in my head is: Defendant; Stranger; maybe That Winter The Wind Blows

but at the same time i dont really see him doing those...

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, HollyC said:

Almost none, the only ones that come in my head is: Defendant; Stranger; maybe That Winter The Wind Blows

but at the same time i dont really see him doing those...

Good ones! For me, the roles Ji Sung takes, JH could do them well too. I think they are very similar in the emotional acting dept except JS doesn’t do action. I always wonder how JH would do if he did Kill Me Heal Me. But I wouldn’t have wanted him to do Secret. Ugh that show. 

• Like 4