I think we're all a bit confused here... correct me if I'm wrong- Currently in the show JH's character is still loyal to his father, right? he's supporting his father's current fight, though I'm not clear why he's not with him actually fighting- was it to keep the family of the king safe? So the message informed him of some sort of danger to the family and, him, still being loyal, is intent on protecting his dad's second wife by taking her somewhere, even though he called her a "B****". Did I get this right?

Looking at the preview for episode 4, I'm guessing they will be attacked on the road, and YBW will prove his bravery, fighting prowess and loyalty by protecting his stepmom and brothers (for now...). I'm further guessing, after this he will be betrayed by his father, which will lead to him turning against him. 

• Insightful 1

@The Reel Life @budgerie @Biology Lesson 

Currently we are still in the Goryeo dynasty, so JH’s character is still loyal to his father coz they are on the same side. It was only after they overthrow the Goryeo king when the father became the first Joseon king that things turn sour between them. The father named the little boy to be his successor at the advice of his officials despite the fact the JH’s character was the one who helped him most in the coup. 

So this will then bring us to the first ep which happened 10 years later. By then the father is the king and the step mother is dead. The bad officials wanted to kill JH’s family so he took action before them and killed the 2 little boys first. This became known as The First Strife of the Princes which was what was happening in the first episode. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 2

After this first strife, the father passed the throne to his second son (JH’s elder brother), who then became the second king of Joseon. 

Then one day JH fought with another elder 4th brother Lee Bang Gan (which we will see in this drama), and this became known as the Second Strife of the princes. After this, the new king (second brother) decided to abdicate and passed the throne to JH who became the third king of Joseon.

Info from my memory from Wikipedia 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

@The Reel Life @budgerie @Biology Lesson 

Currently we are still in the Goryeo dynasty, so JH’s character is still loyal to his father coz they are on the same side. It was only after they overthrow the Goryeo king when the father became the first Joseon king that things turn sour between them. The father named the little boy to be his successor at the advice of his officials despite the fact the JH’s character was the one who helped him most in the coup. 

So this will then bring us to the first ep which happened 10 years later. By then the father is the king and the step mother is dead. The bad officials wanted to kill JH’s family so he took action before them and killed the 2 little boys first. This became known as The First Strife of the Princes which was what was happening in the first episode. 

Oh, now things are clearer... So the little boy hasn't been named the successor yet.

In that case- I wonder why did the step mother insult YBW, saying that she shouldn't raise her sons to be like him? Why does he pretend to be something he is not, with that whole thing of him and his men pretending to be drunk? 

• Like 1

Jang Hyuk has by far the best dialogues in the drama.

"..... and My Country" that was so powerful.

Even when he mimicked Nam Jeon''s dialogue the delivery was totally different, had so much more depth. TBH each and every one of his word and expression seems to be giving more depth to LBW's character- calculating, farsighted and with purpose.

• Like 8

So, managed to see JH's part in the fourth episode, and I have to say I still don't understand the step mother's rudeness towards YBW, especially while he was saving her life. Maybe they will fill us in on that in the next episodes... Also, I predict that YBW will be interested in the female lead- the show is going out of its way to have her be assertive and courageous in front of him while we see him being impressed with her... 

As for JH- I don't even know what to say beyond that he's magnificent! Just magnificent! And the voice that he's using- it's just... wow!  which makes me even more frustrated that this performance was wasted on a side character. A side character that is a background to the two leads. Not to mention that the fight scene really disappointed me as it had too many cuts and strange positioning of the camera. I mean, at a certain point there was a tree in the middle of the frame so you could hardly see what was going on! Such a waste...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

So, managed to see JH's part in the fourth episode, and I have to say I still don't understand the step mother's rudeness towards YBW, especially while he was saving her life. Maybe they will fill us in on that in the next episodes... Also, I predict that YBW will be interested in the female lead- the show is going out of its way to have her be assertive and courageous in front of him while we see him being impressed with her... 

As for JH- I don't even know what to say beyond that he's magnificent! Just magnificent! And the voice that he's using- it's just... wow!  which makes me even more frustrated that this performance was wasted on a side character. A side character that is a background to the two leads. Not to mention that the fight scene really disappointed me as it had too many cuts and strange positioning of the camera. I mean, at a certain point there was a tree in the middle of the frame so you could hardly see what was going on! Such a waste...

Finished the entire ep 4. I think the relationship between YBW and the stepmother had been hostile from the start, after all she is the father's second wife. Which son will like someone who stole their father from his mother ?

Btw ratings for ep 4 jumped a big margin from 3.8 to 4.8%. Good job !

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

Some timeline of events for those who are interested :

1388 (ep4) : Yi Seong-gye led a revolution to overthrow the Goryeo king

1391 : Queen Shinui (first wife) died

1392 : Yi Seong-gye became the king,  established Joseon dynasty and appointed 8th son as successor

1394 : Yi Bang-U (first son) died

1396 : Queen Sindeok (second wife) died

1398 (ep 1) : Yi Bang-won revolted and killed 2 sons of Queen Sindeok - First Strife

1399 : Yi Bang-gwa (2nd son) became the king

1400 : Yi Bang-won fought with Yi Bang-gan (4th son) - Second Strife

1400 : Yi Bang-won became king

• Thanks 5

12 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Thanks for explaining @Prettysup. I thought he was going to kill the little boy (now). I can't bear to see that. So it is going to be 10 years later so the boy would have grown up, I can accept that YBW kills another actor B)

4 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I freaking love episode 4 because he got more screen time although still not enough for me. His presence is just majestic. The fighting scene is anti climax. I was hoping their escaping takes awhile longer so that YBW can have more interaction with the little boy or the girl.

When the girl went out to pick berries, I was hoping she would take longer than 15 mins thus YBW had to go look for her and have some "pick berries time" together. Although for sure YBW won't be picking berries but at least have some time to get to know each other. The pace is so fast like they just only escaped and they don't have to escape anymore. 

I like YBW scene with his father. Full of guts and not afraid to stand up to the old man. And I also prefer his hairstyle there (the one talking to his father) compared to the neatly bun up hair. :sweat_smile:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Finished the entire ep 4. I think the relationship between YBW and the stepmother had been hostile from the start, after all she is the father's second wife. Which son will like someone who stole their father from his mother ?

I like it when YBW said he can't outdo his father who has mistresses all over the country. :rolleyes: So YBW is the 1st wife son? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Which son will like someone who stole their father from his mother ?

There was no concept of monogamy back then though. It was matter of prestige for rich and powerful to have several wives and concubines. So I doubt if any person would feel so strongly about his mother's co-wife.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, budgerie said:

When the girl went out to pick berries, I was hoping she would take longer than 15 mins thus YBW had to go look for her and have some "pick berries time" together. Although for sure YBW won't be picking berries but at least have some time to get to know each other. The pace is so fast like they just only escaped and they don't have to escape anymore. 

I like YBW scene with his father. Full of guts and not afraid to stand up to the old man. And I also prefer his hairstyle there (the one talking to his father) compared to the neatly bun up hair. :sweat_smile:

I agree with you. Everything is strangely rushed. I saw others complain about the same thing in the earlier episodes. I mean even the kiss happened in the second episode... weird... Hopefully they will settle down and take time to let the charactrs interact. 

Oh, the scene with the father was incredible! JH said that this is what he wanted to focus on- the relationship between father and son. I loved how he gave YBW a little bit of vulnerability and hope when he comes in to first talk to his dad, but his dad immediately put him down. And, yeah, it was great to see him stand up to his dad. This. again, shows how rushed the show is- we should have gotten the first interaction between them before the battle, to show us what kind of relationship they have and the way it changes after. Instead we got everything in this one encounter... 

As to the hair :), I think JH likes the bun better because then it allows him to be without a wig, just his natural hair

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Btw ratings for ep 4 jumped a big margin from 3.8 to 4.8%. Good job !

Oh boy! That's good :) I wonder how the production and leads feel about the jump in ratings being so blatantly connected to JH's increased presence... 

Went on Naver and I'm seeing so many comments about Jang Hyuk, while on Soompi's thread, hardly anyone mentions him by name, except for people from here :) Like was the situation was in WOL, fans of the leads don't appreciate attention given to supporting characters...

At any rate, I hope that now that the lead will be interacting more with JH, the production will release some BTS footage of JH working. He's always so much fun on set, it will be great to see him interacting with the young ones

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

There was no concept of monogamy back then though. It was matter of prestige for rich and powerful to have several wives and concubines. So I doubt if any person would feel so strongly about his mother's co-wife.

I thought so too, in that era, it was normal for the king or whoever powerful and rich to have mistresses. Unless of course because of her (2nd wife) presence, YBW mother was cast aside. That might explain their disdain towards each other. 

40 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Oh, the scene with the father was incredible! JH said that this is what he wanted to focus on- the relationship between father and son. I loved how he gave YBW a little bit of vulnerability and hope when he comes in to first talk to his dad, but his dad immediately put him down. And, yeah, it was great to see him stand up to his dad. This. again, shows how rushed the show is- we should have gotten the first interaction between them before the battle, to show us what kind of relationship they have and the way it changes after. Instead we got everything in this one encounter... 

As to the hair :), I think JH likes the bun better because then it allows him to be without a wig, just his natural hair

Agree. The father-son relationship seems rushed. Quite confusing. Father said you are my blood. But YBW retaliated by saying you should commend me on the job I do...... (can't remember his exact words). To me this showed their relationship is not that good good either. Maybe a lukewarm relationship. And it seemed YBW is craving for his father recognition of him because he told the stepmother that if he protects her to safety, maybe his father might commend him. To me this sounds like their relationship is not good yet not completely bad either. 

Why do I find him so attractive when he was talking to his father. The scene where he lets the sword down with a sound and stand up. He looked so handsome. I am beginning to like the girl. She dares to stand up to YBW but then again, I don't think YBW would be harsh to a girl. Anyone knows in the drama now this stage, how old is YBW? Why is he without a girl? I mean, men that era would have married. 

• Like 4

@Biology Lesson Actually many BTS were released by individual actors' agencies, and I must say SidusHQ is really doing a poor job in this aspect.

@budgerie YBW is currently 21 years old. He had his first wife 6 years ago when he was 15 years old, and they already had 2 children by 1388, the current year in ep 4. So they just didnt depict her character in this drama, not that he is without a woman at this point of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Oh boy! That's good :) I wonder how the production and leads feel about the jump in ratings being so blatantly connected to JH's increased presence... 

Honestly, if YBW is someone else, I wouldn't even be bothered to watch. So far I find the 2 lead men so so only. JH appearance bring the scene to another level. 

Like was the situation was in WOL, fans of the leads don't appreciate attention given to supporting characters...

I remembered reading WOL thread and someone wrote about fans of JH should remember that it was JH choice to do a supporting role. I reckon the writer must be the lead guy fan or the lead girl fan. And they certainly don't like attention given to JH. I hope that JH can get an award for his outstanding performance as YBW. So far what I see is outstanding and I am sure he is not going to be less outstanding. Hate it that he didn't get any recognition for BM. 

At any rate, I hope that now that the lead will be interacting more with JH, the production will release some BTS footage of JH working. He's always so much fun on set, it will be great to see him interacting with the young ones

I like the way he touches children. So fatherly and so reassuring. 

• Like 2