27 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Probably forgotten about it? Anyway it seems like they still left 5 episodes to film, I hope JH will attend the wrap up party?

Oh I thought since it is pre-produced they would have finished filming it before it airs! 5 episodes more, this show feels like it took forever to film, given how early they started filming this year. It was ok March/April right? 

7 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Oh I thought since it is pre-produced they would have finished filming it before it airs! 5 episodes more, this show feels like it took forever to film, given how early they started filming this year. It was ok March/April right? 

Yeah the news says it took 7 months to film 

Warning : Rather sensitive content:warning: Please bear with the ranting:sweat:

It's just my observation which possibly can be wrong but did director/writer try to recreate image of Dae Gil for the role of Lee Bang Won in the upcoming drama? I think the look has some similarity and it seems he even has a scar. In the snippets of preview I can also see angry outbursts of the character just like Dae Gil.

I can't judge the director's mind from his words because the real sense of the words often gets lost in the translation. Like I often come across rather rude in English but quiet polite in my native langauge. :-D  But if I'm not wrong it seems like he wanted to use JH for his supposed similiar image to LBW(or LDG?). I'm quiet confused right now. Why did other actors didn't attend press con? It's rather unusual. JH is not promoting this drama (which may be because he is practicing abstinence) another unusual occurrence. 

If director was really going for LDG style then I'm afraid JH will get disapproving comments from the viewers which I don't want after seeing his years of effort of trying to separate himself from that image.

I've seen previous work of director and I think he is good at his job but I've reservation about the writer. From the previews the story seems pretty clichéd and I don't think we've a lot to sort out.

As a fan I'm really tired of seeing JH play angry tragic heroes and I would love to see him relaxing on the screen for a while. Though it seems like he is resting well in real life.:D Good for him it will add some quality to his rather chaotic life.

I was very disappointed by WOL fiasco. It was one of the worst written drama I've ever 'watched' but the writer still managed to ask JH to reshoot earliest episode/episodes because she wasn't satisfied with his character. I wonder why didn't she thought of rewriting the drama from the start becasue the viewers were not satisfied with her writing.^_^

I just hope this drama doesn't turn out to be something similiar to WOL or Voice(where the drama was originally written for only strong female lead but they deliberately stuffed JH's character in storyline and gave him job of shouting and running for 16 eps). 

I also wanted to see JH  in the main poster....

Whatever it doesn't matter for me if his role is big or small but I want this role to be meaningful and his talent properly utilized.

I've also said this before that instead of wasting his talent on medicore drama/poor characters I would rather see him playing small supporting roles in the movies. But I think it would remain just my wishful thinking. 

Bottom line is I don't want to see him descending to supporting roles on the small screen so soon. But who knows what future events will unfold. 

I'm also cautious about his upcoming OCN drama becasue according to synopsis his character can be 'tempramental'. I just hope that this cycle ends and he finally meets fine characters/good directors. For 'My Country' I would hold the judgement till a few episode are out and I pray my 'fears' are dispelled.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 4

Woah it's good to see JH's forum this active the past few days! I guess everyone is gearing up for his new drama :D

I must say that I share similar sentiments as everyone here: Excited at his upcoming performance (because we know it will be GREAT), and also slightly disappointed that he isn't in the limelight as much as we hope for. However come to think of it, I think there is much that we can be thankful for as well. 

Like what @Prettysup said, the sooner we accept that he is not playing a major role in the drama, the better we will feel and be able to enjoy his performance! 

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

Bottom line is I don't want to see him descending to supporting roles on the small screen so soon. But who knows what future events will unfold. 

I definitely dread that day too! However I'm keeping my fingers crossed that just like anything in life, there are ups and downs, and perhaps a very nice and wonderful role is waiting for him, when the right time comes, with the right director, writer, and cast (just like Money Flower!).

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

I just hope that this cycle ends and he finally meets fine characters/good directors.

Exactly, I often imagine what he could do if he met wonderful directors with great scripts - but I think the industry is extremely hard to predict, and JH himself has mentioned that he wants to keep working and is not the type to be too choosy, so perhaps that is the reason why he is not as selective as other actors. 

On another note, I must say that:
1. Like what @budgerie said in the previous post, less screentime means more time for JH to spend with his family. And on days when I wonder why he is not headlining major productions and less active, I remind myself that what stays with him through thick and thin is not his career, but his family! It's a blessing that he can go back home to a loving family after weeks of stressful work, something not many other actors can say. I think, even when the inevitable day comes where he becomes a supporting actor, I believe he would still be happy and contented as long as he made the right choices in prioritizing his family along the way. After all fame won't stay, family will. 

Also, alot of other actors his age who are at the top of their game are (mostly, not all) single and available, and I imagine in Korea the allure actors who are still single can be quite different from those who have been married. On top of that, they would also have much more time to spare as they have less of a need to split time between family responsibilities and work. That may also impact the type of roles given to them. The drama world tends to also favor actors who are young and popular these days, while acting talent would probably be an added bonus. 

2. On his role choices, it's hard to comment as we don't know how and why he chooses the roles he does, whether it is due to a lack of good scripts offered, or whether he is just genuinely interested in the character and does not worry too much about the other aspects. However, we know JH is definitely different from other actors in his league. He isn't picky - some actors only do projects once every 2 years, and are extremely selective of who they work with in order to maintain their image. Being the extremely humble person JH is, I can't imagine him being "calculative" in that sense (although it wouldn't hurt for him to be more strategic with his choices :lol:). At the end of the day, like everyone, I too hope that there will be a writer and director who will recognize his immense talent and cast him in a movie/drama that fully utilizes his great acting skills. Probably some may disagree but I really want him to have a 3rd reunion with Jang Nara, or act alongside Ha Ji Won and Kim Sun Ah! Basically no more mentoring roles, but just neck-to-neck great acting with his equal counterparts. 

Last but not least, I hope that all those who sent the rice wreaths to the press conference do not feel like their efforts were wasted! Although our JH wasn't there, I'm sure he would have seen it on social media or someone would have sent it to him, and being the grateful and wonderful person he is, he would deeply appreciate everyone's support even if he doesn't verbalize it :) 

Seeing all the support he constantly gets makes me so proud to be a JH fan! Let's enjoy the My Country ride for what it is, significant or insignificant, long air-time or short air-time, we know that JH has worked so hard for it so let's make him happy that his efforts are appreciated by enjoying it to the fullest!!!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Talking about that, I wonder why isn't there any script reading video for My country?

I think the handling of the publicity during the the whole filming process was kinda unusual, wouldn't you say? I don't have much experience with kdramas, but we also didn't get any behind the scenes pictures from the filming process, JH and I think also the other main actors went into almost complete social media silence, specifically concerning the filming. I think there was only one picture of the cast and some of the crew, but even that was off the set... I don't know what is the point of this behavior, but it looks like it is the policy of this production...

I hope this entire thing was worth it. I think JH as this character looks incredible and something tells me that JH got a measure of freedom in developing this character, as it has his complex characterization stamped all over it. This might also explain why he took this role.

I actually don't think he looks anything like Dae Gill, as this guy, unlike Dae Gill, seems to be a controlled calculated guy that is driven to extremes. To me he is more reminiscent of Pil Joo. A more ruthless Pil Joo, that is :) . From what I saw till now, the reaction of both the media and random people on social media to JH in this is very positive. Everyone seems to be very impressed. 

Obviously I also would have rather the focus was on JH's character, but since the structure of the show is still very unclear, as we still haven't seen any scenes between JH and any of the lead cast, I hold hope he will get his own significant (if not central) plot line. I guess we will know soon...

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

It's a blessing that he can go back home to a loving family after weeks of stressful work, something not many other actors can say. I think, even when the inevitable day comes where he becomes a supporting actor, I believe he would still be happy and contented as long as he made the right choices in prioritizing his family along the way. After all fame won't stay, family will. 

I totally agree with what was written. One of the factors that made me fall for JH was the fact that he is married with children. An actor should not solely focus on his career and fame in life. Life has many aspects and having a family is one of them. I personally feel sorry for actors who have large populations of fans and admired by many, but couldn't find life partners to settle down. It is a blessing that our JH has a family to go back to, his children to dote on, a home to find solace, a wife who is his pillar of strength. At the end of a 20-year career, 30-year career and so on, one is lucky to have a family to call home. You wont be famous or a lead actor forever, and JH has done well thus far and at the same time, able to be a husband and father.

I remember reading about Jacky Cheung (popular singer in Hong Kong, known also as God of Songs) who took a long break to spend time with his growing up daughters, sending them to school, picking up, etc. He basically wanted to be there for them during those prime teenage/ puberty phase. He is still very popular and he had nothing to lose stepping away from the limelight for awhile. 

It is hard to comment why JH takes on supporting roles and we will not know for sure these were wise decisions. Perhaps taking on a supporting role was better than a lead role offer in a mediocre production? Or maybe his passion for acting is so strong that he doesn't necessary want to focus on being in the lead or being in the limelight? He may want to act, yet have time for other matters in life?

For a veteran actor, I am sure he knows what he signed up for. His management company would be able to deliberate too. Hence, lets have faith in him and a good actor will always be recognized. He has already established himself in the industry. No doubt bout that.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

20 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I think JH as this character looks incredible and something tells me that JH got a measure of freedom in developing this character, as it has his complex characterization stamped all over it. This might also explain why he took this role.

I actually don't think he looks anything like Dae Gill, as this guy, unlike Dae Gill, seems to be a controlled calculated guy that is driven to extremes. To me he is more reminiscent of Pil Joo. A more ruthless Pil Joo, that is :) . From what I saw till now, the reaction of both the media and random people on social media to JH in this is very positive. Everyone seems to be very impressed. 

I too think he has little resemblance to DG except for the messy hair. He has an aura of sophistication about him here, while DG was quite rough around the edges. It seem like JH did have a fair bit of freedom about his character.
Another thing of notice (from the trailer) is that his scenes are quite meticulously filmed- the framing of his shots, no background characters during his screen-time, which isn't the case even for the leads. This makes me think that the director does have the intention of making the best out of his presence.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Last but not least, I hope that all those who sent the rice wreaths to the press conference do not feel like their efforts were wasted! Although our JH wasn't there, I'm sure he would have seen it on social media or someone would have sent it to him, and being the grateful and wonderful person he is, he would deeply appreciate everyone's support even if he doesn't verbalize it :) 

Don't worry, some of them already knew he will not be attending the press conference, but they still send the rice wreaths nonetheless to show their support. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

It is hard to comment why JH takes on supporting roles

If you read page 478 of this forum, he mentioned about playing supporting roles. He doesn't play the lead character but he plays unique characters. He said it's nice to play a character that has very attractive personality without the responsibility of being a lead actor. He said being a main character is like a captain in a sports team. Not only you have to play your role but also think of the whole atmosphere on set.

In another interview (Dramabean Ask an Actor) he said his criteria for choosing a role is that he must personally feel an interest and want to act as that character. So to him, it is not whether being a lead role or not that is important but whether or not he liked that character. And we know for sure lead or supporting, he puts his 100% into it. 

12 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

From what I saw till now, the reaction of both the media and random people on social media to JH in this is very positive. Everyone seems to be very impressed. 

I watched the Press Con and I am unimpressed. B)I have nothing against the 3 leads but they're not unique enough for me to want to have a 2nd look. The guys look like flower boys to me. Usually for period drama, I want the guys to look tough and macho. My yard stick is JH. Even if you don't have JH face, at least have his body. The toughness look of a fighter.  

11 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

notice the wound on his eye brow isn't there all the time. It's possible JH actually got wounded there, or his character... 

Hmm....when I went back to look at DB, the scene where he read script and fell asleep and CTH had to wake him up, he had a scar above the left eye. Could it be they "enhanced" the same scar to make it look like in this film he also had a scar?? I mean, if this is a new scar then I should say his left eye is really unfortunate to always have a scar at the same area. :blink:

11 hours ago, SirRaizel said:

I too think he has little resemblance to DG except for the messy hair. 

Yes the messy long hair (to me) looks like an older version of DG and the bun up hair makes him look like YBW in Empire of Lust. I still like that hair where he tied up some and let down some. He is just so handsome even with untidy hair and bruised face. :wub:I am just going to enjoy his screen time. The storyline does not matter to me now. But I hope he will get more screen time than WOL because YBW needs to fight for his empire. Needs more time to win a battle (hahaha). I hope the writer gives us a good story write up of YBW in order for JH to explore that character to the max as he would always do in any script. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

I'm also cautious about his upcoming OCN drama becasue according to synopsis his character can be 'tempramental'. I just hope that this cycle ends and he finally meets fine characters/good directors. For 'My Country' I would hold the judgement till a few episode are out and I pray my 'fears' are dispelled.

Still hoping that Noh Hee Kyung would cast Hyukie in one of her dramas. :( I really like her writing (not all, but most of them).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I hope he plays a villain villain this time. He did say in the future he wants to play a villain to broaden his spectrum.  

I’m also hoping he play the murderer! 

He will one who is damn charismatic hahahah

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

JH talks about his role in My country

Jang Hyuk plays Lee Bang Won, who has to put up a cold, lonely fight in order to establish a new Joseon. Jang Hyuk said, “‘My Country’ has the stories of figures from history as well as various stories inside them that had been hidden. The drama adds to the interesting history that you already know, and it will be a fun watch.”

“Conflicts, confusion, and increasingly intertwined relationships are all elaborately drawn out. In addition to characters from history like Lee Bang Won and Lee Sung Gye, the drama will show how characters like Seo Hwi, Nam Seon Ho, and Han Hee Jae survive the times.”

jang-hyuk-my-country.jpg

Source:https://www.soompi.com/article/1356652wpp/yang-se-jong-woo-do-hwan-and-more-reveal-reasons-to-watch-upcoming-historical-drama-my-country

• Like 5

I will admit to not paying attention at all to the rest of the cast, but in these clips from the special episode I did finally watch them, and I'm really not impressed. I don't know the lead, but here he seem incredibly bland and lacking in intensity. In the scene in which he's hammering the hot metal, looking all sweaty, I'm getting no intensity or emotion from him. It just feels like a scene trying to make him look sexy. Also, in the  scene showing him lifting his sword and running into battle, his face in not expressing fierceness, but fear and worry. But since he's not the only one who seems lacking- the scene in which the sister is having a seizure looks fake and the reaction from both the lead actors seems really mild considering the situation, this makes me worried about the director. This show is lead by a very young cast, they need to have someone who will guide them well, and I'm worried they're not getting what they need. I hope I'm wrong, and this is just an initial impression, but I'm worried...

Obviously, JH, being more experienced, doesn't seem to be affected by this- looks like he's directing himself... Maybe that explains why it felt from the PD's words like he didn't actually speak to JH.

I hope for the lead actors that at a certain point in the show, they will get to act with JH. It's very obvious they need someone more experienced with them, and there is no one better than JH to have for guidance... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jhjsw said:

Still hoping that Noh Hee Kyung would cast Hyukie in one of her dramas. :( I really like her writing (not all, but most of them).

Noh Hee Kyung is the writer that is famous for melodramas, right? 

I too wish that JH would take up a pure romance melo. He would shine!! I remember him saying on Guerilla date hat he is born to do Melos.... but he doesn’t often get melo scripts :anguished:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2