57 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

English subtitles are out . 

Releasing the JH's parts like this is nice :) saves me the need to fast forward... So essentially the first sequence is a look into the future, right? it's JH's character waging his war against the king as the two friends, that are the main characters, are on opposite sides. After this sequence the show went back to the time they were still friends, right?

So, I'm guessing in the next episode we will see JH's character finding out that his father betrayed him by favoring his brother...

• Like 2

Ratings are out... 

“My Country” Sees Promising Premiere Ratings, “Vagabond” Going Strong As No. 1

JTBC’s new Friday-Saturday drama “My Country” is off to a solid start!

“My Country,” starring Yang Se Jong, AOA’s Seolhyun, Woo Do Hwan, and Jang Hyuk, takes place at the end of the Goryeo dynasty and the beginning of the Joseon dynasty and tells the story of conflicts that arise due to people’s desire for power and protection.

According to Nielsen Korea, the October 4 premiere of the drama recorded 3.5 percent viewership nationwide.

Meanwhile, SBS’s “Vagabond,” which stars Lee Seung Gi and Suzy and premiered two weeks ago, is still going strong as the No. 1 Friday evening drama! The October 4 episode, which aired in three parts, hit 7.4, 8.9, and 11.5 percent viewership respectively.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1356834wpp/my-country-sees-promising-premiere-ratings-vagabond-going-strong-as-no-1

'My Country' Jang Hyuk, Lee Bang-won in history.. the opening of a masterpiece

[OSEN] Actor Jang Hyuk's intense debut with his immense performance.

In JTBC's new Fri/Sat drama 'My Country' (written by Chae Seung-dae / director Kim Jin-won), which was broadcasted for the first time on Friday, Jang Hyuk displayed a short but heavy presence in building the skeleton of the story.

In the first episode which is about the 'First strife of the princes' 10 years ago, Han Hee-jae (Seol Hyun) became entangled with the story of Seo Hwi (Yang Se-jong) and Nam Sun-ho (Woo Do-hwan). The scene left the audience breathless.

At this time, Jang Hyuk appeared as a outsider planning the early stages of the princes' strife, opening a huge encirclement of the pole with his unique suction power and serious acting, as well as planting the skeleton in the pole to capture the hearts of the viewers.

Despite the short appearance, the audience is attracted by the acting ability they believe and see, such as unfamiliar eyes and unknown expressions.

Jang Hyuk, who finished his first appearance with such an intense acting power, appears in 'My Country' twice today at 10:50 pm.

201910051248776974_5d9813030a7bc.jpg

http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1111235449

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

39 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

'My Country' Jang Hyuk, Lee Bang-won in history.. the opening of a masterpiece

[OSEN] Actor Jang Hyuk's intense debut with his immense performance

Well, the ppl behind the drama know how to attract viewers. Buy using his scene in the beginning. ^_^

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

So, did anyone actually see the entire episode? Any thoughts?

Actually if you want a more in-depth discussion of the drama, there is a thread in the K-dramas and movies section :

https://forums.soompi.com/topic/426721-current-drama-2019-my-country-나의-나라-fri-sat-2300-kst/

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Actually if you want a more in-depth discussion of the drama, there is a thread in the K-dramas and movies section :

https://forums.soompi.com/topic/426721-current-drama-2019-my-country-나의-나라-fri-sat-2300-kst/

Yeah, visited it yesterday. I saw that it already has fan fights, even before the first episode aired :) I'm guessing that since JH is not a lead, the fans of the young leads are especially touchy, specifically the girl's, that I see is really getting hammered by comments on social media. So I expect the discussion here about JH's role and the show's quality in general will be more honest and less... tense...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Yeah, visited it yesterday. I saw that it already has fan fights, even before the first episode aired :) I'm guessing that since JH is not a lead, the fans of the young leads are especially touchy, specifically the girl's, that I see is really getting hammered by comments on social media. So I expect the discussion here about JH's role and the show's quality in general will be more honest and less... tense...

Oic haha... but I think the ppl in soompi are still generally quite civil, not as bad as those I see elsewhere

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

6 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

So I expect the discussion here about JH's role and the show's quality in general will be more honest and less... tense...

We all have 1 thing in common. We love Jang Hyuk. So we won't fight. Lol...:D Sorry but I think I am not paying attention since he isn't the lead. When does it air, once a week?

• Like 2

Something silly I noticed about JH's hair in My Country- when he is wearing his hair up- it's only his natural hair, no wig added! You can see that the hair at the back of his head that escapes the bun is relative short. It's only when his hair is down or disheveled, that he has a half wig added. This goes with what JH said in the fan meet in Japan- that he really dislikes wearing fake hair- fake beards or wigs. I completely agree with him (am watching Tazza now, and that fake beard he has drawn on his face is very distracting...), and I guess he spoke about it then because it was on his mind. Makes me think he kinda put his foot down about the hair during filming, and looks like he got his way :)Image

• Like 1

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

We all have 1 thing in common. We love Jang Hyuk. So we won't fight. Lol...:D Sorry but I think I am not paying attention since he isn't the lead. When does it air, once a week?

It airs twice a week, Saturday and Sunday 10.50pm KST. 

I am also tempted to fast forward to JH’s parts but I tried watching the full episode yesterday (although admittedly I still forwarded some parts lol) so that I can get the full context and understand LBW’s actions and decisions better along the way. 

The opening scene showcased our JH’s charisma once again. So much fire and anger behind those eyes, yet a tinge of tenderness and hopefulness in his interaction with Seo Hwi!! He didn’t even have many lines. As always his eyes are really the window to his soul. I hope tonight we will be able to see more of him. Can we just have him back as the main cast and appearing 90% at least in the next drama please. :joy:

12 hours ago, budgerie said:

I am contradicting myself actually. I want him to act a role which has all the screen time. On the otherhand, I also want him to enjoy the joys of being with his wife and children at home.

This is me too LOL. 

As for the first episode, I thought the show was alright, but I was impressed with the scene where Seo Hwi stole Sun Ho’s limelight during the hunting/archery session with LSG. I think both young actors are doing their part well for what it’s worth. That was probably where the cracks in their friendship started to show and it’s certainly not helping that Sun Ho’s father is driving a wedge between them. Ahn Nae Sang is definitely a good actor! And I loved Jang Young Nam’s scenes as well. The rest of the parts didn’t quite capture my interest. 

• Like 1

Well, as predicted by @Prettysup, JH really didn't appear much in the first 2 eps.( In ep 1, he only appeared like over a minute ) . Tonight was worse, he didn't even appear at all. One of the netizens even commented on Naver that he or she waited for 1 hour and 30 min and didn't even get to see his nose.:lol: Quite a number of viewers kept asking when he will appear (at the comments section of the drama website) . At last he appeared in the teaser of ep3.. I am beginning to think that the 2nd lead's father may have more screen time than him..lol! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Well, as predicted by @Prettysup, JH really didn't appear much in the first 2 eps.( In ep 1, he only appeared like over a minute ) . Tonight was worse, he didn't even appear at all. One of the netizens even commented on Naver that he or she waited for 1 hour and 30 min and didn't even get to see his nose.:lol: Quite a number of viewers kept asking when he will appear (at the comments section of the drama website) . At last he appeared in the teaser of ep3.. I am beginning to think that the 2nd lead's father may have more screen time than him..lol! 

Well, in Deep Rooted Tree he didn't appear at all until...what? the 5th episode? Who knows what will happen as the show progresses... If I understood correctly the first part in the first episode is essentially showing us the future, right? So we can expect to see the lead joining JH's character's army and gaining his trust. So, we probably will be seeing plenty of scenes between JH and the lead, leading to that scene in the first episode... I hope :)

• Like 3

@The Reel Life It's actually airs twice a week on Fridays and Saturdays.

@azureblue7 Yeah the second lead's father plays a prominent part eh haha, but let's see how as it goes along 

@Biology Lesson But in Deep Rooted Tree he was the main lead, not here though. So pls dont raise your expectations too much. I have a feeling all those scenes in teasers which we already saw his face will be all that we are getting.

Now I really need a HD pic of JH in that armour he wore in ep1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

It's actually airs twice a week on Fridays and Saturdays.

Oops thanks for correcting!! Haha. 

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

I have a feeling all those scenes in teasers which we already saw his face will be all that we are getting

I really hope not! :( That would be :unsure: I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the scene they showed in previews are usually scenes of earlier few episodes, like how they already showed a lot of the preview scenes of the 3 leads over ep1-2, so hopefully there’s more interesting development to come for JH.... but I get what you mean, we really gotta keep our hopes low haha. 

On another note, just an observation I noticed but - in the opening credits that I watched on Netflix, they start with the leads names, and then all the supporting characters names and lastly they end it with “그리고 장혁”. Which essentially means “and Jang Hyuk”. This reminds me of how typically in english movies or dramas - if the similar formula follows in how opening credits are written, the person who gets this “spot” is usually “someone who is charismatic and prominent in their career and popularity making a special/key appearance in a show”. I wonder if the same logic applies here in this drama from the way they sequenced his name in the opening credits. Maybe I’m overthinking it, but that could explain @azureblue7 statement that even the other senior characters appear more often than JH. 

Any thoughts guys? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

@Biology Lesson But in Deep Rooted Tree he was the main lead, not here though. So pls dont raise your expectations too much. I have a feeling all those scenes in teasers which we already saw his face will be all that we are getting.

What I'm saying is that even in Deep rotted tree, in which, as you said, JH was a lead, he appeared later than he appeared here, so it get worse...

I think I am being realistic- as I said, if the show is moving towards a situation in which the lead will join JH army and will gain his trust, that surely means scenes between them. It stands to reason. Will they be in the next episode? Who knows. Again, JH is maybe not the lead, but he does get a prominent place in the promotion, so I'm guessing his role be significant. And also remember, that JH in his interview actually stressed his character's relationship with his father, this is what JH is focused on it seems. so I think we will get some very emotional scenes from that angle.

What I'm seeing till now, is quite exciting in terms of what JH is doing with this character... very exciting... And I hope to god we're going to get some epic, slow motion fight scenes with JH too :)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

they start with the leads names, and then all the supporting characters names and lastly they end it with “그리고 장혁”. Which essentially means “and Jang Hyuk”. 

I think it is out of respect that they end it with "and Jang Hyuk". His is a supporting role but his name did not appear under the supporting casts name list. If it had, it would make many fans upset. By putting "and Jang Hyuk" appears like he is a stand alone figure. I think his screen time at the beginning would not be so much until the time when YBW is ready to conquer. I guess....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

I really hope not! :( That would be :unsure: I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the scene they showed in previews are usually scenes of earlier few episodes, like how they already showed a lot of the preview scenes of the 3 leads over ep1-2, so hopefully there’s more interesting development to come for JH.... but I get what you mean, we really gotta keep our hopes low haha. 

On another note, just an observation I noticed but - in the opening credits that I watched on Netflix, they start with the leads names, and then all the supporting characters names and lastly they end it with “그리고 장혁”. Which essentially means “and Jang Hyuk”. This reminds me of how typically in english movies or dramas - if the similar formula follows in how opening credits are written, the person who gets this “spot” is usually “someone who is charismatic and prominent in their career and popularity making a special/key appearance in a show”. I wonder if the same logic applies here in this drama from the way they sequenced his name in the opening credits. Maybe I’m overthinking it, but that could explain @azureblue7 statement that even the other senior characters appear more often than JH. 

Any thoughts guys? 

I think you are on to something. I think JH name appearing last in the credits is significant. I think we will have the leads being the focus, mired in their emotional "friends to enemies" and "love triangle" main plot, as the the actual story progresses which I'm guessing will heavily involve JH. Maybe that is what the PD meant when he said JH is in the background... 

• Like 1