Quantcast
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, yoeda said:

 

 

Jang Hyuk as an actor really have a strong screen presences. When the drama doesn't have a strong female lead in term of acting and writing they tend to get swallowed by his persona. It doesn't help when he always cast as an alpha male character. Sometime the female second lead or villain more compatible to his character coz they are so cunning and interesting. in this case Lee Mi Sook in Money Flower, Kim Min Jung in Gaekju and Kim Hae Ae in Midas. Just to name a few. 

 

In my opinion, the strong female lead that he ever get in term of acting and writing is Jang Nara (SSOBG and FTLY), Lee Da Hae (RObbers, don't count Chuno coz she look so meeky there compare to funny second lead) and GHJ (Thank You).

I actually disagree with that. I feel that JH tends to enhance the acting of anyone acting with him in scenes, women or men. We have seen many accounts of his costars, saying how he would spend the time to help them with their scenes- from LDH and OJO in Chuno, Lee Ha-Na and Kim Jae-Wook in Voice and many more. So I think this is why weaker actors, both men and women, will seem stronger with him, and this is why I think Jang Nara and Park Se Young are good actresses, since they were as good when they were acting in scenes without JH. I think Park Se Young in Beautiful Mind was fantastic, much better than she was allowed to be in Money Flower.

  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

If I rate the acting of the actresses that played the love interest in JH's dramas, I'd rate Park Se Young second to only Jang Nara. 

To be honest, Jang Nara's character in FTLY was not exactly a strong character. However it does make a difference between her and other female leads with Jang Hyuk because she is considered a veteran. Having said that, we must not forget that in FTLY, the story line strongly focused on JH and JN. The second leads were not exactly too pivotal to the show. This is unlike Money Flower where the other characters apart from KPJ and NMH have rather significant roles too. Hence, at times it does feel that NMH is not strong or compatible with KPJ (at least not in the first 6 episodes that I am watching now).

  • Insightful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

@budgerie I am only at episode 6 of Money Flower. I know it is premature for me to form opinions but I somehow feel Kang Pil Joo matches better with Jung Mal Ran, in terms of looks and compatibility. Notwithstanding both of them are 16 years apart in real life, but she looks so good and to me, looks better with Kang Pil Joo, than Na Mo Hyun with Kang Pil Joo. In fact, their interactions in the first 6 episodes that I watched are almost intimate without even doing anything!

 

Personally, I am not impressed with the actress that played the character of Na Mo Hyun. Perhaps her looks didnt quite appeal to me or maybe it was due to her facial expressions. Just not compatible with Kang Pil Joo. 

 

Of course, it goes without a doubt that Jang Hyuk looked so good. I like his clean freshly shaven look and the short hairstyle. He looked so fair in this show too, and not too skinny. Fitted the role well. It is amazing he can transform himself to suit different characters.

@AquariusMYHi! I was wondering where had you been....yes, I do agree with you that Pil Joo has more chemistry with Mal Ran than Mo Hyun. I did find Mo Hyun kind of stiff in her acting. But IDK if she's usually like this in her other drama because apart from BM, this is the 2nd drama I've watched of her, so can't really comment is it her acting or the writing where she is supposed to be stiff. 

 

Haha yes, JH is an amazing actor, he can transform into any roles given to him. If you watch Bad Papa, you might be asking yourself if he is the Kang Pil Joo in MF. He can look and act so high and mighty in this drama and a poor down and out character in another. He's so amazing that you can't see Pil Joo in Li Gun or Li Gun in Pil Joo. Where else for some actors, you can still see traces of their previous role - similar acting brought to current role. But anyway, it's kinda hard to watch a k drama without JH in it. 

 

1 hour ago, yoeda said:

 Sometime the female second lead or villain more compatible to his character coz they are so cunning and interesting. in this case Lee Mi Sook in Money Flower, Kim Min Jung in Gaekju and Kim Hae Ae in Midas. Just to name a few. 

Me too. I seem to like 2nd lead better. Jung Mal Ran in MF. Honey Lee in SOGG. Kim Min Jung in Gaekju. Maybe because of their role (seems more interesting). WOL is a disappointment for me but if writer-nim wrote more about the relationship between Chil Sung and the Vet, I might perhaps like the Vet too. I was kinda annoyed with the female lead. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AquariusMY said:

in FTLY, the story line strongly focused on JH and JN. The second leads were not exactly too pivotal to the show. This is unlike Money Flower where the other characters apart from KPJ and NMH have rather significant roles too. Hence, at times it does feel that NMH is not strong or compatible with KPJ (at least not in the first 6 episodes that I am watching now).

Yup, true. In MF, every character is interesting and has its own story to tell. Infact I rather watch Pil Joo with Boo Choon than Pil Joo with Mo Hyun. :expressionless:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

To be honest, Jang Nara's character in FTLY was not exactly a strong character. However it does make a difference between her and other female leads with Jang Hyuk because she is considered a veteran. Having said that, we must not forget that in FTLY, the story line strongly focused on JH and JN. The second leads were not exactly too pivotal to the show. This is unlike Money Flower where the other characters apart from KPJ and NMH have rather significant roles too. Hence, at times it does feel that NMH is not strong or compatible with KPJ (at least not in the first 6 episodes that I am watching now).

A character being strong or not says nothing about the quality of acting. At the time that I watched the show I knew nothing about Jang Nara, if she was a veteran or not. All I saw was how well she portrayed her character. For sure experience improves the acting. I guess the way we view a character and an actor is a subjective thing. For instance, In "Thank You" we have a similar situation, a generally loved character played by veteran actress, but I have to say I found that character to be weak and the actress- I just can't stand (don't kill me :) ). I even tried to prove myself wrong and watched other shows she did, but I just don't like her acting (though I do respect her for accepting that role while other actresses didn't want to act with JH at the time).

I feel that NMH felt so weak because of the writing. She was written as a cliche, not as a complex character- a wide eyed innocent do-gooder. Also, she wasn't very consistent. One moment she's a strong independent woman, and the next she is a traditional woman willing to do anything to satisfy her husband's family. And this inconsistency in writing appeared throughout the show in . I think the main thing that made Money Flower extraordinary was JH. Not just his acting, but everything else he does on set. In terms of the plot, I actually think that the plot in Midas was much better, though JH's acting was oddly boring and subdued (I wonder why he went for that acting style...)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

I feel that NMH felt so weak because of the writing. She was written as a cliche, not as a complex character- a wide eyed innocent do-gooder. Also, she wasn't very consistent. One moment she's a strong independent woman, and the next she is a traditional woman willing to do anything to satisfy her husband's family. And this inconsistency in writing appeared throughout the show in .

For me, Mo Hyun acting was fine before she found out about Boo Choon infidelity. She acted the typical chaebol wife. But her acting sort of "wane off" after she found out about Yoon Seo Won. Is it the writing or is it her, i don't know. Got bored watching her. 

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

In terms of the plot, I actually think that the plot in Midas was much better, though JH's acting was oddly boring and subdued (I wonder why he went for that acting style...)

It took me 3 tries to watch Midas. :sweat_smile: I couldn't stand watching Kim Hee Ae or should I say the way she spoke. She was like whispering all the time. The only good thing is we have a beautiful female lead, Lee Min Jung but alas, she has no chemistry with JH. Director-nim overlooked the romance between them? They were supposed to be married, meaning they should be very comfortable with each other but they're hardly cuddling or holding hands when they're together.

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

For instance, In "Thank You" we have a similar situation, a generally loved character played by veteran actress, but I have to say I found that character to be weak and the actress- I just can't stand (don't kill me :) ). I even tried to prove myself wrong and watched other shows she did, but I just don't like her acting (though I do respect her for accepting that role while other actresses didn't want to act with JH at the time).

I love the chemistry between JH and Seo Shin Ae. The storyline is beautiful. I didn't focus much on Hyo Jin acting or her chemistry with JH. I think for me, Shin Ae won it all (hahaha). 

18 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

Having said that, we must not forget that in FTLY, the story line strongly focused on JH and JN. 

That's true. So far, SSBG, FTLY, OGB that they have acted together are love stories. So they have to act lovey dovey and both being veteran, they are able to immerse themselves into the roles easily so much so that everyone feels they should get married in real life too. That itself is already a success to the drama and to their chemistry. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 5:33 PM, Biology Lesson said:

Obviously in Money Flower I didn't want them to have an actual relationship, but I thought they could have upped the sexual tension between them, making a later pivotal scene (you haven't seen it yet :) ) more impactful.

@Biology Lesson, I am curious which pivotal scene you are referring to. I just watched episode 8 and I need confirmation if KPJ actually slept with JMR?? It does seemed like it to me, but I am not sure. If indeed it is true, I am not surprised but yet am still disturbed/ intrigued/mixed emotions. 

  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

@Biology Lesson, I am curious which pivotal scene you are referring to. I just watched episode 8 and I need confirmation if KPJ actually slept with JMR?? It does seemed like it to me, but I am not sure. If indeed it is true, I am not surprised but yet am still disturbed/ intrigued/mixed emotions. 

Well, of course I won't spoil that scene for you :) - suffice to say it's some of the best and most sensual acting I've ever seen JH do. When you'll see the scene- you'd know... ;)  But that scene, with it's sexual tension and JMR's reaction to it, actually suggests KPJ and JMR haven't slept together. I think that scene in the bedroom in which she caught his hand was just bad writing, as they just dropped it the following episodes, giving us no further indication for a sexual relationship between them.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

 I just watched episode 8 and I need confirmation if KPJ actually slept with JMR?? It does seemed like it to me, but I am not sure.

:lol: Writer-nim just wants us to use our imagination I guess. At first I too thought that they had slept together but on 2nd thought, I don't think Pil Joo is even able to let her touch him intimately given what she had done to his family. Pil Joo is a badass here but I'm so in love with him. :wub: Lol. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New ‘My Country’ poster, no Hyuk face but his name is written below the poster 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, budgerie said:

:lol: Writer-nim just wants us to use our imagination I guess. At first I too thought that they had slept together but on 2nd thought, I don't think Pil Joo is even able to let her touch him intimately given what she had done to his family. Pil Joo is a badass here but I'm so in love with him. :wub: Lol. 

 

 

Yes.. I don't think so too. Just the writer's way to play with our minds. 

 

12 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

But that scene, with it's sexual tension and JMR's reaction to it, actually suggests KPJ and JMR haven't slept together

True.. if they had, I think she would have reacted differently..haha.

 

Janghyuk's cut to the video above

 

  • Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Well, of course I won't spoil that scene for you :) - suffice to say it's some of the best and most sensual acting I've ever seen JH do. When you'll see the scene- you'd know... ;)  But that scene, with it's sexual tension and JMR's reaction to it, actually suggests KPJ and JMR haven't slept together.

Interesting. I shall continue watching. Already as it is now, I thought I can sense sexual tension but you are all telling me 'that scene' is yet to come. Am I the only one who thought and felt there is already sexual tension between KPJ and JMR now in the early episodes? I suppose it feels that way for me because this JMR exudes sexiness effortlessly.

  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sustainable Development Goals are the United Nations' blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. They address the global challenges we face, including those related to poverty, inequality, climate, environmental degradation, prosperity, and peace and justice. The Goals interconnect and in order to leave no one behind, it ís important that we achieve each Goal and target by 2030.

 

In total there are 17 goals, the card that JH held is the third one "Good Health and Well Being'.

 

sdgs_poster_new1.png?itok=lk3WnfiX&c=4a2

 

Click here if u want to find out more

https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/

  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting! In the Korean SDG post that you guys posted above, since JH said that one of the ways towards health and well-being is to use less smartphones, I wonder if that explains his long disappearance and reduction in interactions on IG. He’s probably trying to live a more fulfilling like by having a more fixed routine rather than getting hooked on social media and the phone! Imagine these days when we seldom talk to each other and our main interactions are just with our phones. It’s wise to cut back, actually. 

 

On another note, I’m slightly disappointed that JH isn’t billed as the main character (judging from posters, character stills and promos) for My Country, but we shall just enjoy this ride knowing that he will give his best no matter what role he gets! 

 

Fingers crossed for a great main role, next drama. :smile:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Interesting! In the Korean SDG post that you guys posted above, since JH said that one of the ways towards health and well-being is to use less smartphones, I wonder if that explains his long disappearance and reduction in interactions on IG. He’s probably trying to live a more fulfilling like by having a more fixed routine rather than getting hooked on social media and the phone! Imagine these days when we seldom talk to each other and our main interactions are just with our phones. It’s wise to cut back, actually. 

 

 

 

Yes i think he is trying to fulfill that goal of his, let's see how long he can sustain hahaha

  • LOL 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

 

Yes i think he is trying to fulfill that goal of his, let's see how long he can sustain hahaha

Don't provoke him. He deosn't break any promise that he made to himself.:D

 

It's almost like he was telepathically connected to me for a while. Lol 

First he trolled me by posting a new video clip and now he has sincerely let us know his reason for restricting use of social-media. 

It's satisfying that he has realized IG is not good for his well-being. 

  • LOL 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

Don't provoke him. He deosn't break any promise that he made to himself.:D

 

It's almost like he was telepathically connected to me for a while. Lol 

First he trolled me by posting a new video clip and now he has sincerely let us know his reason for restricting use of social-media. 

It's satisfying that he has realized IG is not good for his well-being. 

That's true. Like what his friends said about him, he's really good at keeping promises. I'm pretty sure he is doing it for his children too, helping to set a good example.

 

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

He’s probably trying to live a more fulfilling like by having a more fixed routine rather than getting hooked on social media and the phone! Imagine these days when we seldom talk to each other and our main interactions are just with our phones. It’s wise to cut back, actually

He did mention at the recent Japan Fan meeting that when he reduced his workload , he's happy he got to spend quality time with his children, talking to them about things they like and so on. Guess he is spending more time bonding with his family these days.:)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

That's true. Like what his friends said about him, he's really good at keeping promises. I'm pretty sure he is doing it for his children too, helping to set a good example.

 

He did mention at the recent Japan Fan meeting that when he reduced his workload , he's happy he got to spend quality time with his children, talking to them about things they like and so on. Guess he is spending more time bonding with his family these days.:)

I feel the same way too. You don't want your children to be hooked to the handphone, you don't be hooked to it yourself. So I guess he is showing by example.

 

As much as I want to see him onscreen, yet at the same time, I'm happy he is spending more time with his family. And who knows, perhaps the "reduced workload" that he meant, could be he doesn't want to take on too many heavy roles like he used to do. Maybe he just want to take on "mentoring" roles and we know he's such a good mentor/teacher. I remember reading a chinese article about the new actress, Han So Hee (MF acted as Boo Choon mistress), she said it was JH who helped her into her role as a mother and how to bond with her onscreen son.

12 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

On another note, I’m slightly disappointed that JH isn’t billed as the main character (judging from posters, character stills and promos) for My Country, but we shall just enjoy this ride knowing that he will give his best no matter what role he gets! 

 So I am guessing My Country will just be another "mentoring" role for him but definitely this mentor will shine. Whatever role given to him, it will shine. Anyway, he had wanted to be a Teacher right? :sweat_smile:I like his attitude and mindset. Some artistes will be afraid of someone younger doing better than themselves and not so willing to impart knowledge. 

11 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

Don't provoke him. He deosn't break any promise that he made to himself.:D

Haha yes, he doesn't break his promise to exercise, he doesn't break his promise to do recycling. What I truly admire is him saying he likes to perspire :D usually artistes will want to look their best, can't even go out without makeup, but we have one here who likes to look sweaty. (I just wonder how many sweaty clothes his wife got to wash everyday). I like how he is "down to earth" despite being a celebrity.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...