1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

Oh, OK. That sounds reasonable... By the way, I'm seeing a lot of comments on twitter disappointed that the actress playing the female lead is in the show. Is she that bad?

Also, I meant JH's character's father has a direct connection to the father of one of the leads... So a brown line means a positive connection. Maybe he is his father's general? JH's character essentially rebels against his father that is the king, right? So maybe that general will be fighting against JH's character?

In addition, that lady that is connected to his father, I'm guessing his wife, is not JH's character's mother, so I guess that will add to the drama...

I'm really hoping that the fact that JH took this role means that it's better than in Empire of lust...

I have not seen the female lead act before, but yeah she does have a reputation for being a weak actress, but let’s not comment about her here until we see her acting first.

As for the second male lead, his character is a military officer who is the illegitimate son of an important family. So I guess his father is a top official aiding JH’s father. 

The woman next to the king is   Queen Sindeok, his second wife. JH’s character Lee Bang Won killed her 2 sons after she died. You can google on their names to read the history, pretty interesting :) 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

On 9/17/2019 at 10:04 AM, Prettysup said:

Haha where have u been hiding ?? :D

Oh, not under the rock btw. Just being busy. lol 

btw, do anyone read this? it's kinda a good read. About FTLY and Mi Young. i like read at the comment about Gunnie-shi hair and laugh. it never get old. :D

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/09/hey-thats-me-me-and-mi-young/

And the swordsman poster is beautiful even I more prefer Dae Gil mane of glory. maybe that bcoz that was his real hair at that time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Prettysup said:

I have not seen the female lead act before, but yeah she does have a reputation for being a weak actress, but let’s not comment about her here until we see her acting first.

I was asking as I wonder about the amount of interest this drama is generating... I know the two leads are getting a good buzz. The truth is I really doubt I'd care either way unless she has some scenes with JH. Considering how I seem to be almost incapable of watching kdramas without JH, I don't know if I'd be terribly interested in the parts without him. I already tried to watch  "Tempted" that  Woo Do-Hwan appears in, and I stopped watching after a few episodes... as I've said before, it seems that JH has ruined me for Kdramas! :) 

And Lee Bang Won killed both his step brothers... yikes! I wonder if we will get to see that... I know he killed many more- a really scary guy. I hope they gave JH some freedom to delve into this character. JH's insights are usually amazing

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

Someone was kind enough to translate JH's part from the making of the poster vid... Seems like JH doesn't see his character as an antagonist... 

And in his character description it was said that he usurped the throne more for survival than his ambitions. But then again he did killed his 2 half brothers, albeit it was done to protect his own family. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

On 9/19/2019 at 10:24 PM, Prettysup said:

And in his character description it was said that he usurped the throne more for survival than his ambitions. But then again he did killed his 2 half brothers, albeit it was done to protect his own family. 

Looks like his portrayal of Lee Bang Won in this drama will be different from that in Empire of Lust. He will be using a different perspective to analyse  the character. Very curious how he would interpret it.. 

• Like 3

On 9/2/2019 at 3:43 PM, budgerie said:

Btw, have you started on Money Flower yet? If the genre is right for you, you'll fall hard for his character there too. :DI did. 

@budgerie I am only at episode 6 of Money Flower. I know it is premature for me to form opinions but I somehow feel Kang Pil Joo matches better with Jung Mal Ran, in terms of looks and compatibility. Notwithstanding both of them are 16 years apart in real life, but she looks so good and to me, looks better with Kang Pil Joo, than Na Mo Hyun with Kang Pil Joo. In fact, their interactions in the first 6 episodes that I watched are almost intimate without even doing anything!

Personally, I am not impressed with the actress that played the character of Na Mo Hyun. Perhaps her looks didnt quite appeal to me or maybe it was due to her facial expressions. Just not compatible with Kang Pil Joo. 

Of course, it goes without a doubt that Jang Hyuk looked so good. I like his clean freshly shaven look and the short hairstyle. He looked so fair in this show too, and not too skinny. Fitted the role well. It is amazing he can transform himself to suit different characters.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AquariusMY said:

. He looked so fair in this show too, and not too skinny. Fitted the role well. It is amazing he can transform himself to suit different characters.

To think he transformed from this (refer to the clip below )

to this... 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

@budgerie I am only at episode 6 of Money Flower. I know it is premature for me to form opinions but I somehow feel Kang Pil Joo matches better with Jung Mal Ran, in terms of looks and compatibility. Notwithstanding both of them are 16 years apart in real life, but she looks so good and to me, looks better with Kang Pil Joo, than Na Mo Hyun with Kang Pil Joo. In fact, their interactions in the first 6 episodes that I watched are almost intimate without even doing anything!

I actually agree. Lee Mi Sook, the actress playing Jung Mal Ran, is very confident and sexy. She actually interviewed JH in the past, and her interaction with our shy JH was interesting :) I was actually disappointed that her character wasn't a conniving femme fatale in the show, but rather a selfish and vulnerable mentally unstable woman. Kinda made Pil Joo's complicated plan a bit redundant...

Obviously in Money Flower I didn't want them to have an actual relationship, but I thought they could have upped the sexual tension between them, making a later pivotal scene (you haven't seen it yet :) ) more impactful. When I saw that she was going to join JH in WOL I kinda hoped that she will be his character's love interest there, but... sigh... WOL was such a disappointment in so many ways...   

Personally, I am not impressed with the actress that played the character of Na Mo Hyun. Perhaps her looks didnt quite appeal to me or maybe it was due to her facial expressions. Just not compatible with Kang Pil Joo. 

Again, I agree about Park Se Young character in Money Flower, but I think this was more due to the writing and direction in Money Flower. In Beautiful Mind Park Se Young has proven that she is a really good actress. She portrayed a complex and believable character, that changed from being vulnerable, to vindictive and angry, to finally finding her strength and integrity. Really cool acting and portrayal.

If I rate the acting of the actresses that played the love interest in JH's dramas, I'd rate Park Se Young second to only Jang Nara. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

To think he transformed from this (refer to the clip below )

LOL That's exactly what I was thinking...  I remember watching that bit with the older ladies and marveled at how amiable JH is. The other guys wouldn't stop mocking him and doing their best to embarrass him, but he never got angry. He got a bit hurt (wouldn't any of us be in his situation?), but never angry.

When he says he is a positive person, he really means it :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

LOL That's exactly what I was thinking...  I remember watching that bit with the older ladies and marveled at how amiable JH is. The other guys wouldn't stop mocking him and doing their best to embarrass him, but he never got angry. He got a bit hurt (wouldn't any of us be in his situation?), but never angry.

When he says he is a positive person, he really means it :)

And I thought he was really innocent when after all the mocking , he actually thought for a while and asked them in a serious tone, "Do I really look that bad?".

:joy:  He just played along , joked, laughed along with them and even made fun of himself too. Only good old friends can do that because he knows they mean no harm. And he really has a gentle temperament. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

4 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I actually agree. Lee Mi Sook, the actress playing Jung Mal Ran, is very confident and sexy. She actually interviewed JH in the past, and her interaction with our shy JH was interesting :) I was actually disappointed that her character wasn't a conniving femme fatale in the show, but rather a selfish and vulnerable mentally unstable woman. Kinda made Pil Joo's complicated plan a bit redundant...

Obviously in Money Flower I didn't want them to have an actual relationship, but I thought they could have upped the sexual tension between them, making a later pivotal scene (you haven't seen it yet :) ) more impactful. When I saw that she was going to join JH in WOL I kinda hoped that she will be his character's love interest there, but... sigh... WOL was such a disappointment in so many ways...   

Again, I agree about Park Se Young character in Money Flower, but I think this was more due to the writing and direction in Money Flower. In Beautiful Mind Park Se Young has proven that she is a really good actress. She portrayed a complex and believable character, that changed from being vulnerable, to vindictive and angry, to finally finding her strength and integrity. Really cool acting and portrayal.

If I rate the acting of the actresses that played the love interest in JH's dramas, I'd rate Park Se Young second to only Jang Nara. 

Jang Hyuk as an actor really have a strong screen presences. When the drama doesn't have a strong female lead in term of acting and writing they tend to get swallowed by his persona. It doesn't help when he always cast as an alpha male character. Sometime the female second lead or villain more compatible to his character coz they are so cunning and interesting. in this case Lee Mi Sook in Money Flower, Kim Min Jung in Gaekju and Kim Hae Ae in Midas. Just to name a few. 

In my opinion, the strong female lead that he ever get in term of acting and writing is Jang Nara (SSOBG and FTLY), Lee Da Hae (RObbers, don't count Chuno coz she look so meeky there compare to funny second lead) and GHJ (Thank You).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, yoeda said:

Jang Hyuk as an actor really have a strong screen presences. When the drama doesn't have a strong female lead in term of acting and writing they tend to get swallowed by his persona. It doesn't help when he always cast as an alpha male character. Sometime the female second lead or villain more compatible to his character coz they are so cunning and interesting. in this case Lee Mi Sook in Money Flower, Kim Min Jung in Gaekju and Kim Hae Ae in Midas. Just to name a few. 

In my opinion, the strong female lead that he ever get in term of acting and writing is Jang Nara (SSOBG and FTLY), Lee Da Hae (RObbers, don't count Chuno coz she look so meeky there compare to funny second lead) and GHJ (Thank You).

I actually disagree with that. I feel that JH tends to enhance the acting of anyone acting with him in scenes, women or men. We have seen many accounts of his costars, saying how he would spend the time to help them with their scenes- from LDH and OJO in Chuno, Lee Ha-Na and Kim Jae-Wook in Voice and many more. So I think this is why weaker actors, both men and women, will seem stronger with him, and this is why I think Jang Nara and Park Se Young are good actresses, since they were as good when they were acting in scenes without JH. I think Park Se Young in Beautiful Mind was fantastic, much better than she was allowed to be in Money Flower.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

5 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

To be honest, Jang Nara's character in FTLY was not exactly a strong character. However it does make a difference between her and other female leads with Jang Hyuk because she is considered a veteran. Having said that, we must not forget that in FTLY, the story line strongly focused on JH and JN. The second leads were not exactly too pivotal to the show. This is unlike Money Flower where the other characters apart from KPJ and NMH have rather significant roles too. Hence, at times it does feel that NMH is not strong or compatible with KPJ (at least not in the first 6 episodes that I am watching now).

• Insightful 2

8 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

Of course, it goes without a doubt that Jang Hyuk looked so good. I like his clean freshly shaven look and the short hairstyle. He looked so fair in this show too, and not too skinny. Fitted the role well. It is amazing he can transform himself to suit different characters.

@AquariusMYHi! I was wondering where had you been....yes, I do agree with you that Pil Joo has more chemistry with Mal Ran than Mo Hyun. I did find Mo Hyun kind of stiff in her acting. But IDK if she's usually like this in her other drama because apart from BM, this is the 2nd drama I've watched of her, so can't really comment is it her acting or the writing where she is supposed to be stiff. 

Haha yes, JH is an amazing actor, he can transform into any roles given to him. If you watch Bad Papa, you might be asking yourself if he is the Kang Pil Joo in MF. He can look and act so high and mighty in this drama and a poor down and out character in another. He's so amazing that you can't see Pil Joo in Li Gun or Li Gun in Pil Joo. Where else for some actors, you can still see traces of their previous role - similar acting brought to current role. But anyway, it's kinda hard to watch a k drama without JH in it. 

1 hour ago, yoeda said:

Sometime the female second lead or villain more compatible to his character coz they are so cunning and interesting. in this case Lee Mi Sook in Money Flower, Kim Min Jung in Gaekju and Kim Hae Ae in Midas. Just to name a few. 

Me too. I seem to like 2nd lead better. Jung Mal Ran in MF. Honey Lee in SOGG. Kim Min Jung in Gaekju. Maybe because of their role (seems more interesting). WOL is a disappointment for me but if writer-nim wrote more about the relationship between Chil Sung and the Vet, I might perhaps like the Vet too. I was kinda annoyed with the female lead. 

• Like 2