1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

From what I saw, many of JH's contemporaries are still single, no? It seems like the managers like it better if the actors a single so that fans can fantasize about them. I guess this is why JH's managers also objected to him getting married...

What I was referring to was the ordinary men. Not celebrities. Sorry didn't make myself clear. So perhaps at first when he was casted, netizens could be thinking this man is too old to act a bachelor. 

As to FTLY- I was talking about the likability of the male character. I didn't some people that likes the Taiwanese show better, but I think it was unanimous that Lee Gun was much more likable than the Taiwanese character.

So individual. I know of people who likes the taiwan Li Gun. For me, I preferred JH LG more than the taiwan LG. But during the time that it was aired in 2008, it was such a hit. 

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

‘My Country’ Jang Hyuk, a reason to be called the master of historical dramas.

For certain, actor Jang Hyuk has met another life character through JTBC's drama "My Country”s Lee Bang-won. He deserves to be called an indisputable master of historical dramas.

Yay! I look forward to an award too! Baeksang or Daesang or top Excellence! Whichever is the best. So he's got Chuno, MF and MC as his life work. 

Jang is playing Lee Bang-won in "My Country”, a character with the head of a fox and the heart of a tiger. He founded his country with blood all over his body and removed those loyal to Goryeo, but decided to become king in order to survive under the mask of Lee Seong-gye (Kim Young-chul).

@Biology LessonYou finally saw the head of a fox and heart of a tiger already? Hahaha, remember earlier we didn't see it.

I saw it in the last 2 episodes. 

One official said, “Jang's presence in ‘My Country' was so overwhelming. His grasp and control of the screen was also great”.  Another official also stressed that he played Lee Bang-won well enough to be called Jang's life character.

Directors-nim, Writers-nim, please take note and give him (write for him) more good scripts to come. Hope he will also get good production team and good directors to work with from here on. And take on only good supporting roles. Otherwise, just stick to your lead roles. :joy:

This role truly turned out to be a blessing for him. We were at first freaked out at his supporting role but it has proven that his role here to be more formidable than the leads.  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

With JH we can never know, ha? I mean, look at what happened in MC- we all loved his hair in MC, for once. So what suddenly happens? His hair style changes to make him look like a homeless person. Or from a Jane Austen book... :joy: It's like JH is fully aware of the hair discussions on this forum, and he's messing with us...

Oh but I love his messy hairdo! I don't like his hair too neat with the prince clip. I like it slightly untidy. LOL. 

6 minutes ago, AgnesO said:

And we were also screaming when we saw him.  That should made him notice us, haha. That memory is so precious.  Its been so long since I get so excited.  And oh, btw originally he's supposed to be holding my phone, but I gave it up to you.  Nice (or stupid) of me right? B).  

He must be thinking aiyo the noise of these people! Am sure it will always be so precious and memorable. Not highly likely you will be able to get to such a close proximity with him again even if he visits again. More beefy security officers will be blocking.

Hahaha! You could have tried all ways and means to hug him or get him to hug you. That's the reward for giving up your phone. :sweat_smile:

8 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

If BW is killed, koreans will riot. That won’t happen. Worse case is BW kills everyone because that would undo all the “humanization” They did of the character but like all you said, it could go that way, given that real BW was capable of that. 

Wow! Like your description of koreans will "riot"....

Maybe it might be true that Hwi and SH team up to kill Bang Won according to King instruction. BW killed them first when he found out. With all out of the picture, he could build his kingdom with newly recruited people so that they take orders and instructions from him only. Kill the King as well? Or put King on permanent confinement inside his chamber. I'm fine with that since he was not nice to Bang Won.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, budgerie said:

MC he got more screen time compared to WOL and whenever he appears, he seemed like the lead. His charisma and his presence and his physique is way superior compared to the actual leads. The initial episodes I saw a mild Bang Won and that wasn't to my liking. I want a warrior Bang Won. But the later episodes when Bang Won seriously meant business, I begin to enjoy the drama (his cut only). The writing still sucks but don't give this one a miss. Watch only Bang Won parts. Hahaha! The angry Bang Won is fierce yo. 

You're right.  MC is definitely more watch-worthy than WOL even though he's not the main lead. 

@AquariusMY Don't pass this up because he's not the main lead.  You'll easily forget he's not the main lead, because he acts like a main lead, if you get what I mean.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, budgerie said:

What I was referring to was the ordinary men. Not celebrities. Sorry didn't make myself clear. So perhaps at first when he was casted, netizens could be thinking this man is too old to act a bachelor. 

I guess not just ordinary people, but also most romantic kdramas have younger actors in them, don't they?  This is why I usually can't stand those shows. I'm too old for those guys... :) I love romantic story lines, but only when they are good... I haven't seem many romantic kdramas with older actors that I liked, besides FTLY...

13 minutes ago, budgerie said:

@Biology LessonYou finally saw the head of a fox and heart of a tiger already? Hahaha, remember earlier we didn't see it.

I saw it in the last 2 episodes. 

You did?! Well, finally! I wonder if those were a result of the rewriting of the episodes... I still haven't watched ep. 13. I figured I'll wait for the subtitles of ep. 14 too and watch them together... are they out yet?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, budgerie said:

If 3 die, who is the killer? Hmm...this is exciting.  

I think its a matter of time, the way they slay each other and got slay time and again.  Even Zombies will breakdown if they got slay like that.   

12 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

總之,他真的好帥!好帥!好帥!好帥!好帥!好帥!(因為非常重要,所以要講六次)好瘦~好有型喔!阿))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))忍不住想再尖叫一下!XDDDD (In short, he is really handsome! So handsome! So handsome! So handsome! So handsome! So handsome! (Because it is very important, so I have to repeat six times) So lean~ Good physique A))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) I can't help but want to scream again! XDDDD

Haha, exactly!!!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, AgnesO said:

And we were also screaming when we saw him.  That should made him notice us, haha. That memory is so precious.  Its been so long since I get so excited.  And oh, btw originally he's supposed to be holding my phone, but I gave it up to you.  Nice (or stupid) of me right? B).  

Coz u said you’ll be too nervous to pass him the phone right? 

18 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Directors-nim, Writers-nim, please take note and give him (write for him) more good scripts to come. Hope he will also get good production team and good directors to work with from here on. And take on only good supporting roles. Otherwise, just stick to your lead roles. :joy:

This role truly turned out to be a blessing for him. We were at first freaked out at his supporting role but it has proven that his role here to be more formidable than the leads.  

Problem is, it’s hard to identify a good role. Who will know that YBW will become such a big hit? Thus I think it’s acceptable that we allow Hyuk to take some misses at times, don’t be too hard on him :) 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

4 hours ago, budgerie said:

If Bang Won is killed...I'm never going to watch any drama written by this writer ever again! So if it is written that BW is killed, the 3 leads prevail, afterall this drama is about the 3 leads so it is suppose to be. 

I'm not worried about BW being killed.  It won't happen.  I'm just scared its the other way around.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

‘My Country’ Jang Hyuk, a reason to be called the master of historical dramas.

Loveeee this write-up of him. Glad to see him getting rave reviews! I still think he's unlikely to get any awards for this show, the ratings is very average, and it is quite pertinent that a show is widely received and popular for the actors to get awards. But it's ok, we know that Hyukie is a proven actor, he doesn't have to win every single time. His time will come again, perhaps in a couple more years. Alot more of his sunbaes get awards in their late 40s, 50s, so he still has plenty of acting opportunities and chances to grab accolades hehe. 

I'm so ready for My Country tomorrow!! But - I think it won't be on Netflix and won't be subbed. :vicx: Probably end up having to watch the mandarin subbed version haha because I'm too impatient to wait for netflix to release it mid-week...

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

3 minutes ago, AgnesO said:

I'm not worried about BW being killed.  It won't happen.  I'm just scared its the other way around.

Yea, it would be quite a waste to humanize Bang Won only to have him be cruel in the end. It would probably be fun for JH to act, but I think the audience will get angry :sweatingbullets: Let's hope they remember that he is only acting and don't get angry at HIM, but at the WRITER instead hahaha.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, AgnesO said:

@AquariusMY Don't pass this up because he's not the main lead.  You'll easily forget he's not the main lead, because he acts like a main lead, if you get what I mean.

@AgnesOI have been reading everyone's daily comments about My Country, and it is clear that he had performed well in the drama. The latest article published above on JH being the master of historical drama has proven that his acting skills and onscreen presence is strong. I will definitely consider watching it.

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

His hair style changes to make him look like a homeless person. Or from a Jane Austen book... :joy: It's like JH is fully aware of the hair d

Oh my goodness, the comparison is so apt! LOL! I am not a fan of this hairstyle either. JH is one actor that changes his character's hairstyles in one drama. He looked clean and regal earlier but this recent one look like a downgrade. I have not watched My Country so I cannot comment if the hairstyle suits the current developments of the show.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I guess not just ordinary people, but also most romantic kdramas have younger actors in them, don't they?  This is why I usually can't stand those shows. I'm too old for those guys... :) I love romantic story lines, but only when they are good... I haven't seem many romantic kdramas with older actors that I liked, besides FTLY...

Yes those flowery looking young actors with lots of fringe infront. I'm too old for those guys too. Lol. I agree with what JH said in an interview, that older man (or referring to himself) suits acting romance as they are more experienced in life and have more emotions. That I very much agree. 

You did?! Well, finally! I wonder if those were a result of the rewriting of the episodes... I still haven't watched ep. 13. I figured I'll wait for the subtitles of ep. 14 too and watch them together... are they out yet?

Yes the sub is out for ep 13 and ep 14 at Dramacool. It isn't that bad. I found myself enjoying both episodes due to more Bang Won screen time. I like it when Bang Won is angry. 

10 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Who will know that YBW will become such a big hit? Thus I think it’s acceptable that we allow Hyuk to take some misses at times, don’t be too hard on him :) 

Indeed. What may seem a terrible role to us may be the role he likes best. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed no more WOL that sort of supporting role. 

But frankly, it isn't because he is a supporting actor in WOL that's why I didn't like the drama. The leads don't seem to have chemistry with me. I'm annoyed just looking at their face. SORRY ah. I don't mean to offend anyone here who loves WOL. 

10 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

I'm so ready for My Country tomorrow!! But - I think it won't be on Netflix and won't be subbed. :vicx: Probably end up having to watch the mandarin subbed version haha because I'm too impatient to wait for netflix to release it mid-week...

I was complaining previously that this drama doesn't make me excited about the next episode. Finally it does, I'm excited about the next 2 episodes. Actually I wasn't that much interested until JH said there is a TWIST. That got me interested. 

10 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Yea, it would be quite a waste to humanize Bang Won only to have him be cruel in the end. It would probably be fun for JH to act, but I think the audience will get angry :sweatingbullets: Let's hope they remember that he is only acting and don't get angry at HIM, but at the WRITER instead hahaha.

I guess even if he killed and be angry in the end, is also because of people betrayal. Looking at the preview, Hwi talking to the king makes me uncomfortable and the seal on that document was done "angrily" as in the king banged the seal down onto the paper. What document is that which made Bang Won control his tears. If this is the scenario, audience won't get angry with Bang Won. Hahaha! We're just following the history Bang Won to kill....:sweat_smile:

8 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

Oh my goodness, the comparison is so apt! LOL! I am not a fan of this hairstyle either. JH is one actor that changes his character's hairstyles in one drama. He looked clean and regal earlier but this recent one look like a downgrade. I have not watched My Country so I cannot comment if the hairstyle suits the current developments of the show.

@AquariusMYGuess I'm the only one here who loves his untidy messy hairstyle. :joy:@The Reel LifeYes, probably might need to watch with chinese subtitles. Don't know when the english sub is going to come out. However it is torturing to read the chinese sub too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Hwi talking to the king makes me uncomfortable

I can explain. If I’m not mistaken that scene was actually Hwi asking the King who killed his father, Seo Geom. So I don’t think he is betraying BW. I actually don’t think they will make him betray BW either because he is an upright character. The only way he will turn against BW is if BW asks him to do something really bad, or if Hwi pities Sun Ho in the end and decides to protect Sun Ho. By protecting his friend, it may incur the wrath of BW who doesn’t like Sun Ho. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

I can explain. If I’m not mistaken that scene was actually Hwi asking the King who killed his father, Seo Geom. So I don’t think he is betraying BW. I actually don’t think they will make him betray BW either because he is an upright character. The only way he will turn against BW is if BW asks him to do something really bad, or if Hwi pities Sun Ho in the end and decides to protect Sun Ho. By protecting his friend, it may incur the wrath of BW who doesn’t like Sun Ho. 

Oh, you understand korean language?

More like it (as what you said) that Hwi wants to protect SH and SH wants to kill Bang Won so BW had to retaliate. For sure SH fighting skill is not on par with BW, and Hwi doesn't want to see SH die, so both Hwi and SH team up against BW. Possible? We shall see.... 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, budgerie said:

I couldn't stand the hat. 

Judging from HJ hairstyle, she may have married Hwi? Usually married ladies only will do their hair like this. 

Bang Won has tears in his eyes. What is the document that king has his seal on it? Maybe forbid BW to be a king now and future? That leads to the 2nd strife? 

I dont think so. It's her madame Han hairstyle. she's wearing that style several time in this drama before. Married style is simpler than that.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Hmmm... but what if the king reveals that who killed Hwi's father was actually BW? It could be a lie from the king to turn Hwi against BW or the truth, which might explain the special treatment that BW gave him being out of guilt. That might give Hwi enough reason to turn against him...And maybe be the twist JH spoke about

• Insightful 3

19 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Hmmm... but what if the king reveals that who killed Hwi's father was actually BW? It could be a lie from the king to turn Hwi against BW or the truth, which might explain the special treatment that BW gave him being out of guilt. That might give Hwi enough reason to turn against him...And maybe be the twist JH spoke about

Wow! That might be an excellent but terrifying twist! And actually someone on twitter, suspected this a long time ago! (Was it you? Lol) In fact, this would explain why BW has been so vague with Hwi about Seogeom :sweatingbullets:

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Wow! That might be an excellent but terrifying twist! And actually someone on twitter, suspected this a long time ago! (Was it you? Lol) In fact, this would explain why BW has been so vague with Hwi about Seogeom :sweatingbullets:

:) Not me... It's just that the show left so many things unclear about BW in the beginning, that anything could be said about him

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Biology Lesson said:

:) Not me... It's just that the show left so many things unclear about BW in the beginning, that anything could be said about him

This would blow my mind, but I’ve always “felt” BW is a bit “unhinged” so it could totally work. It’s those tiny moments when he practically curses and mocks his father (especially lately, with tears in his eyes and a half smirk, I’m like is this the pain and sadness his father still cause him or is he kookoo? His gestures become such a perfect combination of pain and anger and hate, it’s chilling)  I’m going to cry a little if this is the twist, but it would be so interesting. “The guilt is unbearable”, “regret is for the weak”...all of these phrases come to mind and wow

• Like 3