4 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I am still confused! The King now is the boy which we saw at the initial escape? And Bang Gwa the one who visited Bang Won at the archery ground is his own blood brother? He also plot to kill Bang Won. Join hands with Seon Ho. Er yes, no preview for ep 15. Keeping us in suspense?  

No no, let me explain, the king has 2 wives, first wife had 6 sons, second wife had 2 sons.

The 2 boys we saw in the initial escape were the 2 youngest sons by the second wife, Bang Beon (7th son) and Bang Seok (8th son). After Bang won (5th son) killed the youngest one (Bang Seok) who was the crown prince, the king asked if he was going to kill Bang Beon next.

Time jump of 2 years, the king had abdicated and now the new king is Bang Gwa (2nd son)  as the eldest one dead already. The one we saw frequently in this drama (the funny one) will be Bang Gan (4th son), who planned to kill Bang-won (this will happen in the Second Strife).

Bang won with neat hair was immediately after the First Strife in 1398. Bang won with messy hair was after time jump in 1400, which the Second Strife will happen soon.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

No no, let me explain, the king has 2 wives, first wife had 6 sons, second wife had 2 sons.

The 2 boys we saw in the initial escape were the 2 youngest sons by the second wife, Bang Beon (7th son) and Bang Seok (8th son). After Bang won (5th son) killed the youngest one (Bang Seok) who was the crown prince, the king asked if he was going to kill Bang Beon next.

Time jump of 2 years, the king had abdicated and now the new king is Bang Gwa (2nd son)  as the eldest one dead already. The one we saw frequently in this drama (the funny one) will be Bang Gan (4th son), who planned to kill Bang-won (this will happen in the Second Strife).

Bang won with neat hair was immediately after the First Strife in 1398. Bang won with messy hair was after time jump in 1400, which the Second Strife will happen soon.

Thank you @Prettysup for clarifying! A big hug to you! :)

These Bang bros are driving me nuts with their names. I only know who is Bang Won. 

@dramafan33I am not a doll. I wasn't born with perfect doll features, lol. But you are most welcome. I am glad the subtitle will be out soon. You will see what a messed up job I had done. :expressionless:I still constantly check on the chinese website to see if there is any preview for ep 15 and there is none! Why want to keep us in suspense! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Prettysup said:

So JCW has another project lined up after the last episode of his current job ended yesterday. Why is nobody calling him a workaholic? And he is working with Voice director Kim Hong-sun, who is the creator for our new OCN drama. So it looks like PD Kim is a workahoilc too hahha.. 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1366406wpp/ji-chang-wook-in-talks-for-his-next-drama-after-melting-me-softly

Because he needs to forget the mess of Melting Me Softly...(that's what people say, not me), so it's probably wise that he quickly do another project which people will remember him for in a better light and forget that he ever did MMS! But I didn't watch the drama, so I can't comment on why it was so poorly received. 

Wah, one of the writers is Slave Hunters! Haha why didn't Kim Hong Sun choose JH for this drama, then there would be a long-awaited writer - actor - director reunion there hmmm. (Reminding myself that everything happens for a reason and casting decisions are not as easy as we think it can be)...

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

7 hours ago, Prettysup said:

It's probably got to do with the genre he chose. Apart from Voice, all those dramas which he was the male lead had the male lead as the central character, eg BM, Bad Papa, MF. Which A list actress would want to be the female lead of these dramas? For me, personally I would rather he acts as the male lead next to a lesser known actress, rather than to pair with an A-list actress and act as her partner only

I think genre is a part of it for sure , but also, established actors and actresses are increasingly being paired with lesser known actors and actresses, probably for budgetary reasons as networks are struggling. You really only get A list pairings in big budget projects.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, qynn said:

I think genre is a part of it for sure , but also, established actors and actresses are increasingly being paired with lesser known actors and actresses, probably for budgetary reasons as networks are struggling. You really only get A list pairings in big budget projects.

That's true, I think to get 2 A-list actors you really need a massive budget project because they command too high salaries. That's why they say that projects like Arthdal Chronicles or Vagabond which has huge budget are largely also due to the high salaries they have to pay to the leads. And they are banking on the name of the leads to pull in the ratings and commercials. Which is why those 2 shows are not considered to be massive hits despite the decent ratings because compared to the amount of investment, the return on investment, ROI was not impressive.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

9 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

JH revealed that he doesn't like to throw away things, that he doesn't allow his parents to this day to change his room (!), that he doesn't spend almost anything on himself. Also, he said that he doesn't like to move so he lives in the same house for 11 years. If I'm not mistaken, that would mean he hasn't moved since he got married.

Wow this is all new information to me! It seems that he's not the kind of person to move on to "bigger better flashier" stuff just because he now has the means to or the status to. I've always said this to people around me - that I admire those who can move up the "ranks" in life, in terms of financial stability and overall stability, but yet, still maintain a lifestyle that was similar to their past. I would say ALMOST everyone, with an increase in financial capabilities and standing, will also shift their lifestyle upward to reflect the wealthier status they have, and also to live a more comfortable life, and hence there's always this saying that even if people earn more, they don't necessarily get "richer" because they spend more (more lavish lifestyle) and they incur more debts (buying cars, credit card bills etc). 

Hence, the fact that he can maintain his simple lifestyle (if it's true that he's still staying in the same house, using pocket money and not just swiping cards where he can, eating the same ol' bun to fill his tummy :D), then he surely has great financial sense and is in a more-than-better financial position than anyone thinks he is!! 

10 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

JH doesn't seem to care about money when it comes to himself. He works because he loves to work and loved being on set, as said the Hwasin interview. He regards himself as an ordinary man that works, just like his dad, and his dad only had a single month in the year as a vacation, so it's clear JH doesn't even understand why people think he overworks.

This is another great insight. And yeah I also remember him saying that he goes to the office regardless even if he doesn't have an acting project or is on a "break". His views of acting both a passion and a real job. He doesn't see it as something that he does for popularity or money (though those are outcomes of it). Hence, maybe that affects how he chooses his projects. Not meant to be flashy projects with the intention of raising his profile or getting him CFs after, but just solid, acting opportunities. I guess it works both ways, in a way he is just being JH, pure with his intentions of acting, but on the other hand, people may view him as not being "calculated" enough in his choices. But that's him, he has never been calculative, and he's just doing all in a day's work of doing what he needs to do because he loves what he does. 

And because he wants to just work, and enjoys his work so much, that actually being the "best" actor or "most popular" person comes second to him - he has said that what he values more is that actors and directors want to continue working with him - and that I believe ties to the fact that he just wants to continue working and having acting gigs. Not about being the best for one year, then disappearing for 2 years, then coming back after that again. He probably just can't stand hanging around doing nothing :sweatingbullets: This is my reflection also about the latest OCN drama - despite some of us having initial reservations about him taking on another vague-plot thriller or potentially a role that is underdeveloped like Moo Jin Hyuk, the fact that Kim Hong Sun wants to work with JH and values JH is probably what JH appreciates alot. That someone trusts him and being the loyal person he is, he sees it as a good thing. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

I've also been reflecting about why we sometimes feel he is not getting the "best deals" out there (when I have nothing to do it's fun to think of and analyse these things :lol:) - just my personal opinion, people can feel free to disagree haha:

To be honest, if actors/actresses want to stay super famous, I don't think they will work non-stop and take on one role after another. Because they may lose their elusiveness. Most of the big name actors only appear in TV dramas every 2-3 years and they often are on a hiatus in between (not sure what they do but I guess CF and magazine shoots). The "stars" so to speak, are often very calculated in their career, and everything seems charted out to ensure that each drama is able to give them a certain "return", or has to be one that maintains/raises/protects their image. All that I've read about JH in his interviews is just his pure love for acting, and how seriously he takes each opportunity to craft a role and bring it to life. He's not acting because he's a celebrity, he's acting because it's his job and he loves it. 

Also, another example of elusiveness is when actors come back from military services their projects get so much attention because they've been away and people are looking forward to what's next. So in a way JH doesn't create that "mystery and longing" which could be why people may not appreciate him that much (but better for us fans, because we get to see him more often heheh). The only rare exception I've seen so far may be Han Ji Min, who's had one hit after another despite working 2 projects per year. And suddenly she's shot high up in status. 

That's why as I was reflecting on why he's not casted in big projects or taking big CF deals, I am reminded again that the K industry is such a huge one with thousands of actors, they only have 6 major TV channels (3 cable, 3 Free to Air) and 7-8 different major timeslots per week. Coupled with directors and writers having their preferences, and scripts having age profiles to their characters, JH is extremely fortunate to be able to land so many main roles in major station timeslots. We could do a statistical/probability analysis here but I'll refrain from it hahaha.

All in all, we see JH as this amazing person and amazing actor who deserves the world, but he probably sees himself as a normal actor seeking a meaningful/fulfilling career and wanting a simple happy life with his family. Haha. And for that, he's truly one of a kind. :wub::heart:

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

I've also been reflecting about why we sometimes feel he is not getting the "best deals" out there (when I have nothing to do it's fun to think of and analyse these things :lol:) - just my personal opinion, people can feel free to disagree haha:

All in all, we see JH as this amazing person and amazing actor who deserves the world, but he probably sees himself as a normal actor seeking a meaningful/fulfilling career and wanting a simple happy life with his family. Haha. And for that, he's truly one of a kind. :wub::heart:

I have to say, I agree with what you said :)

Another thing is the fact that JH's start was pretty difficult. He had to go through more than 100 auditions before he was first cast. And then, instead of a having the fairy tale story of being amazing in it, he actually was so nervous, he bombed, leading to some very harsh words directed at him from veterans. That, combined with the scandal and the reactions to that, when actresses didn't want to be associated with him, must have hurt. He survived and flourished, but that must have left a mark. I remember he once was asked why does he work so hard on his martial arts and horse riding, and he said that as an actor he is replaceable, so he makes sure to have special skills that will make him more desirable for productions. I guess this is also the reason why he learned to play the piano... The thing is- I actually don't agree with him. I don't think he is replaceable. There is no one that could have done Dae gil like he did. The same goes for Lee gun, Lee Young Oh, Pill Joo, and so on. Could another actor have done a good job in those roles? Sure, but never produce a similar performance to JH. This is why I'm a fan of his.

But the thing is- HE thinks he's replaceable, and that's very telling... 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

To be honest, if actors/actresses want to stay super famous, I don't think they will work non-stop and take on one role after another. Because they may lose their elusiveness. Most of the big name actors only appear in TV dramas every 2-3 years and they often are on a hiatus in between (not sure what they do but I guess CF and magazine shoots). The "stars" so to speak, are often very calculated in their career, and everything seems charted out to ensure that each drama is able to give them a certain "return", or has to be one that maintains/raises/protects their image. All that I've read about JH in his interviews is just his pure love for acting, and how seriously he takes each opportunity to craft a role and bring it to life. He's not acting because he's a celebrity, he's acting because it's his job and he loves it. 

Also, another example of elusiveness is when actors come back from military services their projects get so much attention because they've been away and people are looking forward to what's next. So in a way JH doesn't create that "mystery and longing" which could be why people may not appreciate him that much (but better for us fans, because we get to see him more often heheh). The only rare exception I've seen so far may be Han Ji Min, who's had one hit after another despite working 2 projects per year. And suddenly she's shot high up in status

I think you have completely nailed it! I’ve always “felt” this way but never articulated my arguments this way. I totally agree with you. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I agree with this too and I’d add, this is a sort of blessing in disguise isn’t it? We KNOW he is amazing but this has not gone to his head so he will always be looking to improve himself, to learn, show, express something new or in a new way, and lucky us because we get to enjoy the product of his continued efforts. How many artists get ruined the minute they start drinking the kool-aid that they are great! 

I just hope (and actually believe) that he is now happier with his acting in the sense that he used to be more anxious about it. You know when he said that he had a panic attack while shooting Dance of the Dragon, there was evidently more pressure on him during that time (I suppose from his agency, but maybe also from himself) more “expectations” 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I agree with this too and I’d add, this is a sort of blessing in disguise isn’t it? We KNOW he is amazing but this has not gone to his head so he will always be looking to improve himself, to learn, show, express something new or in a new way, and lucky us because we get to enjoy the product of his continued efforts. How many artists get ruined the minute they start drinking the kool-aid that they are great! 

I think you are right. JH doesn't even try to pretend he thinks he's a big star. Whenever you see him in a public function, he's so respectful, shy and humble. Also, on set , even if he's the biggest star on a show, he never behaves like he's above the other actors, as we've recently seen in the BTS of My Country. And it seems like the amount of effort he puts into a role never changes, no matter what role that is- it's always maximum effort!

29 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I just hope (and actually believe) that he is now happier with his acting in the sense that he used to be more anxious about it. You know when he said that he had a panic attack while shooting Dance of the Dragon, there was evidently more pressure on him during that time (I suppose from his agency, but maybe also from himself) more “expectations” 

also the English added to the pressure on that set... Still haven't seen that movie...

I think you can see how much more at ease he is on set from him eating in between shoots :). We saw that in Money Flower, Bad Papa and My Country. I don't think he could have eaten had he been nervous...  It's like he is in his element while working, so pleasant and loose...  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

That's true, I think to get 2 A-list actors you really need a massive budget project because they command too high salaries. That's why they say that projects like Arthdal Chronicles or Vagabond which has huge budget are largely also due to the high salaries they have to pay to the leads. And they are banking on the name of the leads to pull in the ratings and commercials. Which is why those 2 shows are not considered to be massive hits despite the decent ratings because compared to the amount of investment, the return on investment, ROI was not impressive.

And I think JH when choosing a project, does not go for this sort of exorbitant salary. He goes for the project which he feels he can explore the character. He even done a project for free due to lack of budget from the Production. The movie Rabbit and Lizard.  

9 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Wow this is all new information to me! It seems that he's not the kind of person to move on to "bigger better flashier" stuff just because he now has the means to or the status to. I've always said this to people around me - that I admire those who can move up the "ranks" in life, in terms of financial stability and overall stability, but yet, still maintain a lifestyle that was similar to their past. I would say ALMOST everyone, with an increase in financial capabilities and standing, will also shift their lifestyle upward to reflect the wealthier status they have, and also to live a more comfortable life, and hence there's always this saying that even if people earn more, they don't necessarily get "richer" because they spend more (more lavish lifestyle) and they incur more debts (buying cars, credit card bills etc). 

As I mentioned in my earlier post, he mentioned that his parents lived nearby so when he was locked out of his house once, he slept in his parents house. So I guess when he was buying their marital home, would probably have considered this factor. Since he is always filming, having a set of parents nearby can be helpful as they can chip in to help his wife should she needs an emergency pair of hands.

Moreover, if you are familiar with JH story, it isn't that he was a success instantly. As what @Biology Lessonhad mentioned, he had gone for 100+ auditions. In those days when he was living with G.O.D. he didn't have an easy life, often had to starve or hadn't had enough to eat. When things looked slightly hopeful, he was embroiled in the military scandal. His career and reputation all gone at that moment. The only ones not gone (firmly supported him) his parents and his girlfriend. 

So I guess, for someone who has had a big fall, picked himself up again, his outlook in life would be different from someone who has never had a fall. As for credit card - he is a card guy. :grimace: 

Hence, the fact that he can maintain his simple lifestyle (if it's true that he's still staying in the same house, using pocket money and not just swiping cards where he can, eating the same ol' bun to fill his tummy :D), then he surely has great financial sense and is in a more-than-better financial position than anyone thinks he is!! 

I think the bottom line is, he is loyal. From whom did he learn this virtue from? We all know. I like the way he described his loyalty towards his agency. That when everyone thinks that he cannot make it (after 100+ auditions), his agency still didn't give up on him. As much as things have been said about his agency, but frankly, how many agency would let you hang on for 100+ auditions? They would have kicked you off their list a long time ago. 

This is another great insight. And yeah I also remember him saying that he goes to the office regardless even if he doesn't have an acting project or is on a "break". His views of acting both a passion and a real job. He doesn't see it as something that he does for popularity or money (though those are outcomes of it). Hence, maybe that affects how he chooses his projects. Not meant to be flashy projects with the intention of raising his profile or getting him CFs after, but just solid, acting opportunities. I guess it works both ways, in a way he is just being JH, pure with his intentions of acting, but on the other hand, people may view him as not being "calculated" enough in his choices. But that's him, he has never been calculative, and he's just doing all in a day's work of doing what he needs to do because he loves what he does. 

It all depends on one's mentality (心态). And JH has a good mentality towards his work and towards his personal life. Because he wants to act till he is 70, so he keeps on being hardworking to improve. 

But not all actors think likewise. Some treat this career just as a passing cloud, gather all the fame and fortune and "retire" in glory. It is not wrong too.

And because he wants to just work, and enjoys his work so much, that actually being the "best" actor or "most popular" person comes second to him - he has said that what he values more is that actors and directors want to continue working with him - and that I believe ties to the fact that he just wants to continue working and having acting gigs. Not about being the best for one year, then disappearing for 2 years, then coming back after that again.

True. JH is always worried there is no work tomorrow. Could be also due to the military scandal. At that time, actresses shunned him. In WIN WIN he mentioned that he worked very hard for Thank You because he was worried after Thank You there is no more work for him. He aspires to be the person that people wants to work with. And he has done a good job at that. 

Now that he is well known in the industry, many actresses want to work with him. In this industry, it is so difficult to find a true friend. 

He probably just can't stand hanging around doing nothing :sweatingbullets: 

He mentioned before that he has been working non stop (apart from the 2 years), he is very used to the filming site and enjoys the atmosphere in film site. I guess you are right, he can't just sit and do nothing. If at home, he will clean up the house, vacuum, mop, vacuum again and even lift up furnitures to clean every corner. 

All that I've read about JH in his interviews is just his pure love for acting, and how seriously he takes each opportunity to craft a role and bring it to life. He's not acting because he's a celebrity, he's acting because it's his job and he loves it.

As said in previous post, people said he is working so hard to buy milk powder for his children. :DAudience or the reporters don't see it as he is being hardworking and enjoys his work. Lol. Didn't he say it that acting is his full time job but acting is not everything in his life. He still has his family and his exercise! 

Talking about milk powder, I laughed crazy when in Friends in Croatia home stay, Ki Sub asked him what is the flavour in between the chocolate and the waffle or something, because Ki Sub couldn't make out the flavour. After tasting it and pondering for a moment, JH said MILK POWDER. :grimace:At that time his baby girl was born recently, so he must be very used to milk powder smell and taste. Lol.

7 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I don't think he is replaceable. There is no one that could have done Dae gil like he did. The same goes for Lee gun, Lee Young Oh, Pill Joo, and so on. Could another actor have done a good job in those roles? Sure, but never produce a similar performance to JH. This is why I'm a fan of his.

I think what he meant by "replaceable" is that in this industry, you cannot afford to be complacent. Meaning not improving yourself. You have to constantly learn new things, improve your acting and etc. If you don't, another actor who is more hardworking, who knows more skills, gets the meat. 

We may have come across it ourselves that a certain actor or actress, is always doing the same type of role. The acting hasn't improved since ages ago. There is a C actor who used to be very popular, but now comments about him is that his acting hasn't improved since ages ago and he is always doing the same type of role, idol drama. Nothing new and fresh for the audience.

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I do know of a couple of singers who are labelled as "1 album singer" meaning after that album, no more production. When the album became a hit, the singer head also swell. Become arrogant, difficult to work with, demand this demand that. In the end, no singing company wants to work with such people.

There is also 1 C actor, no director wants to work with him. During his haydays, he was reported to be very snobbish, high demands, cannot get along with his co star, needs to have many assistants to come with him to the film site. Wow, so high class! 

For JH, so far I think I've only noticed a lady following him around. Or maybe 2. 1 is for makeup and the other for dressing and hair maybe.  

Age and experience and state of life is also an important factor. At this point of time, not saying he is without pressure, but he is without pressure to prove himself. He has proven. The Directors and the audience know his credibility and knows his capabilities. At this point of time, he doesn't need to worry about bread and butter (he is rich as is claimed). He has done enough for his agency. This milk cow is taking a back seat now. 

In the earlier days, he is still proving himself. He needs to continuously have work. He is the breadwinner. He also can't let his agency down after all the support the agency had given.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

All in all, we see JH as this amazing person and amazing actor who deserves the world, but he probably sees himself as a normal actor seeking a meaningful/fulfilling career and wanting a simple happy life with his family. Haha. And for that, he's truly one of a kind. :wub:

Love what you said. It practically sums up why I can't help but love this actor more and more! 

EJp-Zast-Uc-AAi-Zpa.jpg

Cr. twitter @hyukgesum

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

18 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

He always remains true to his original intent of going into acting , like what he shared in this interview in 2007. He is really a born actor.

Oh, this was so long ago! Thanks for bringing it up! Looking back at his younger days, from then till now, he really matured alot in the way he spoke, his body language, etc. Most of all, he grew more handsome and more charisma. Hahaha! 

• Like 2