4 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

He’s done so well this time, I hope he gets a good Christmas break with his family in between the OCN thriller. Wonder if he will get a break after My Country or straight to work again. If it’s not preproduced drama and live drama, how early do they usually start shooting? 1 month before? 

Typically they start preparing ~ 2 months ahead. The OCN thriller has actually started filming, just that JH has not joined the team yet. So my guess is he will not get any break this time, and will jump into the new drama immediately after MC wraps up. Of coz they may have breaks during the Xmas and New Year period, and JH also has an upcoming fan meeting in Japan in mid Dec.

2 hours ago, budgerie said:

Hope that we will get a back-to-back too in 2019, something for us to look forward to. MC-See it as you call it- (     ) But that would mean he is going to be overworked and less time for family. :grimace:

You mean 2020 ??

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Typically they start preparing ~ 2 months ahead. The OCN thriller has actually started filming, just that JH has not joined the team yet. So my guess is he will not get any break this time, and will jump into the new drama immediately after MC wraps up. Of coz they may have breaks during the Xmas and New Year period, and JH also has an upcoming fan meeting in Japan in mid Dec.

I don't understand why did it take so long to film My Country? OCN drama has also started pretty soon but I think most of OCN dramas are pre-produced.

• Like 3

Yeah it really does seem like no break at all from the likes of it. 

27 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

I don't understand why did it take so long to film My Country? OCN drama has also started pretty soon but I think most of OCN dramas are pre-produced.

I don't understand too, so it took them 6-7 months to film an 8 week show!! I guess the sheer size of the crew (background soldiers etc, cinematography requirements etc) made it alot harder.

• Like 3

Just now, The Reel Life said:

I don't understand too, so it took them 6-7 months to film an 8 week show!! I guess the sheer size of the crew (background soldiers etc, cinematography requirements etc made it alot harder)

I don't have memory of other dramas regardless of their scale taking this long to film.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

You mean 2020 ??

Gosh! Never realised we're coming to the end of 2019. Yes, I mean 2020 :joy:So what are we going to do from MC ends to his new drama? :sweat:

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

I don't understand too, so it took them 6-7 months to film an 8 week show!! I guess the sheer size of the crew (background soldiers etc, cinematography requirements etc) made it alot harder.

Wow, @The Reel Lifenice pic of JH. That hairstyle is like his Midas hairstyle. Have you watched Midas?

Took so long to film this drama? But true, it's so many people. Just filming the background soldiers already take alot of time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

Not really, Voice was live-filmed.

I also dunno why MC is taking so long. During the first press conference ~2 months ago, they said they have 5 remaining eps to film. So it means they take ~ 10 days to film one episode ? 

7 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Gosh! Never realised we're coming to the end of 2019. Yes, I mean 2020 :joy:So what are we going to do from MC ends to his new drama? :sweat:

By the time MC ends it’ll be end Nov. Then there will be his birthday and FM in Dec, and hopefully an interview or something. And by Jan the posters and promo stuffs for new drama will be out. So not much lax time for us actually hahaha.. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

17 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

By the time MC ends it’ll be end Nov. Then there will be his birthday and FM in Dec, and hopefully an interview or something. And by Jan the posters and promo stuffs for new drama will be out. So not much lax time for us actually hahaha.. 

If I didn't remember wrongly, every year his birthday will be fan meeting right? Doesn't he want to spend it with his wife & kids? For the sake of his fans....:sleepy: It indeed is not easy to be the family member of such a busy gorgeous looking super actor.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Not really, Voice was live-filmed.

That's why said 'most of' not 'all of'. During filming of Voice many regular OCN drama viewers were surprised that this drama was not pre-produced.

30 minutes ago, budgerie said:

If I didn't remember wrongly, every year his birthday will be fan meeting right? Doesn't he want to spend it with his wife & kids?

Fan meetings are not necessarily on birth date. Who knows whether he celebrates his bithday according to western calendar or lunar calendar. Maybe he doesn't care for his birthdays like me.:lol:

I mean there are too many possibilities and too many birthdays for all of family members. 

By the way which objective person would like celebrating the day which adds one year to his/her life.:sweatingbullets:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

11 minutes ago, budgerie said:

If I didn't remember wrongly, every year his birthday will be fan meeting right? Doesn't he want to spend it with his wife & kids? For the sake of his fans....:sleepy: It indeed is not easy to be the family member of such a busy gorgeous looking super actor.

I don't think he is the type to consider his birthday that special that he has to blow cake candles like he makes in fan-meeting.

I think he wants to spend time with family like having meals together or going on trip which can be any day. 

I think he has contracts with the organizer to go Japan every year in June (Summer FM?) and December (Birthday&Xmas Party). 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

@budgerie Same as you! I wish for him to get recognition and more great offers and there is one thing that would also be a good sign is if he gets more CF contracts. That’s where the real money is and JH suddenly stop getting those as often as he used to throughout his career. 

Not really “fair” comparing his “acting” in any stage of his career with SOGC, SOGC was clearly badly directed, that PD seemed like a total amateur, letting actors do whatever the heck, they were all in different tune, makeup and lighting was terrible, the drama “relied” way too much on the actors. Acting wise I see an evolution but for example, his acting in Chuno was 1000000x better than in SoGC or Gaekju. And it was done way before. Because actors need good writing and directing to truly shine. That’s why as much as I love his acting, I still prepare myself for potential disappointment, I mean he did Beautiful Mind (where I loved his perfect restrained performance) after the not subtle in any way Gaekju, thus restoring my trust in him but then he went and did Voice, where I felt he could’ve tone it down a bit and character lacked much nuance (but of course if PD says a scene is fine, it stays, so actors can’t really be responsible in the end) And then he blew my mind again in Money Flower and so on

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

That's why said 'most of' not 'all of'. During filming of Voice many regular OCN drama viewers were surprised that this drama was not pre-produced.

Fan meetings are not necessarily on birth date. Who knows whether he celebrates his bithday according to western calendar or lunar calendar. Maybe he doesn't care for his birthdays like me.:lol:

I mean there are too many possibilities and too many birthdays for all of family members. 

By the way which objective person would like celebrating the day which adds one year to his/her life.:sweatingbullets:

I love my birthday! And Im a lot older than you (maybe thats why) One more year means you are still alive! Isn’t that awesome? Also I love presents!!! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

That’s where the real money is and JH suddenly stop getting those as often as he used to throughout his career. 

but then he went and did Voice, where I felt he could’ve tone it down a bit and character lacked much nuance 

I think I've asked similiar question earlier too but let me repaet myself. Why did JH suddenly stopped getting CF offers? I mean he was among top 10 CF stars(both male & female included) in 2013. His drama FLTY was internationally popular and SOGC though cringeworthy had not that bad domestic ratings. But his CFs  disappeared and he even didn't get a proper A-lister female lead since then. Not that I'm complaining because he has done many intresting roles in recent years(alongside the ones who must not be remembered). But the positive things are mostly fruit of his willingness to adapt.

As for Voice I think he was really tired.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I love my birthday! And Im a lot older than you (maybe thats why) One more year means you are still alive! Isn’t that awesome? Also I love presents!!! 

One more year means one year less to stay alive.:grimace:

Who care for presents I get them throughout year for one reason or another. Besides most of birthday present are cheap.lols

4 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

I think I've asked similiar question earlier too but let me repaet myself. Why did JH suddenly stopped getting CF offers? I mean he was among top 10 CF stars(both male & female included) in 2013. His drama FLTY was internationally popular and SOGC though cringeworthy had not that bad domestic ratings. But his CFs  disappeared and he even didn't get a proper A-lister female lead since then. Not that I'm complaining because he has done many intresting roles in recent years(alongside the ones who must not be remembered). But the positive things are mostly fruit of his willingness to adapt.

Hmmm- what's a CF? :blink: You mean commercials?

And this is curious to me- from what I'm seeing, the reactions and articles that I read, JH seems to be highly respected and liked in his industry, but I'm not Korean, and really I'm mostly interested in him, so I'm not really aware of the other maybe bigger actors. I did notice that there are award shows, that seem bigger and more prestigious, that I've rare seen JH attend, if ever. I think the Korea drama awards? So, I'm curious- How does the actors hierarchy go, when speaking about the Korean entertainment industry? Are actors who are more in successful movies considered bigger?

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

Yeah! Something happened right? But I don’t know what either. I thought he would get more CFs after Money Flower but nothing 

About the birthdays debate :lol: I think its a matter of seeing the glass full or half empty. I just like that one day in the year is dedicated to make someone feel special and get spoiled. I love all the presents I get because of their meaning, knowing someone put their thoughts on it. And I also enjoy celebrating other people. Finding their perfect gift etc. If you feel special every day, thats actually amazing and you are very fortunate. 

Btw Ive always loved the clay dolls korean fans have made for Jang Hyuk and I think he loves them too! He expressed amazement over the details and thoughts behind them 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Yeah! Something happened right? But I don’t know what either. I thought he would get more CFs after Money Flower but nothing 

I’m guessing as you grow older the CF opportunities are lesser.  Not to mention that TV/movie ratings are a huge factor when it comes to being offered more CFs I think. But then again for his age group, the only ones really having CF deals are Lee Byung Hun and Gong Yoo? Maybe Jung Woo Sung too? These actors are huge both locally and internationally and have super super big hits. Hence they are so marketable and popular. And that’s why people want to pick them up for CFs. My 2 cents. I wish JH had more CFs too but if he doesn’t, then continuously getting a stream of dramas to lead in is the next best thing. CFs are mostly revenue generating and fame lifting that’s why people like Won Bin earn so much despite not having a single acting project haha (but that is exactly why he gets criticized too). Also I guess we have to come to terms with the fact that there are SOOOOO MANYYYYYY actors out in the industry that even getting a CF deal is not easy when there are many that companies can choose from. They typically prefer current and young actors or the big Hallyu stars like Lee Min Ho and Park Bo Gum. And one artists gets multiple CF deals thus making the pie smaller for others. 

But hopefully our JH is smart enough to have other income revenues eg. investments and all to help him sustain long after he gets less acting opportunities. I should think that his acting deals still pay rather well? Even if it’s not top tier pay. And he is pretty thrifty in lifestyle and low miantenance. Did he say he disciplines himself by using pocket money and doesn’t simply take out money to use? Haha I think it was I’m the variety show Grand Canyon. He’s definitely saving up for his children’s education. So I’d like to think he is well prepared!

Imagine if JH is already working so hard like this, I wonder for the rest of the not so well to do Koreans, making ends meet to raise kids in such a high cost of living society is so hard!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, budgerie said:

Wow, @The Reel Lifenice pic of JH. That hairstyle is like his Midas hairstyle. Have you watched Midas?

Thanks! Haha I don’t know where this picture is from, just googled. But it reminds me of his razor CF. So hot! I didn’t watch Midas. Not sure if I want to because it didn’t have good reviews from you guys ahaha. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

9 hours ago, budgerie said:

His birthday cum Xmas fan meeting is on Dec 15 this year, not the actual day of his birthday. 

28 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@The Reel Life You are right! I read he has invested well on real estate. 

38 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

But hopefully our JH is smart enough to have other income revenues eg. investments and all to help him sustain long after he gets less acting opportunities. I should think that his acting deals still pay rather well? Even if it’s not top tier pay. And he is pretty thrifty in lifestyle and low miantenance. Did he say he disciplines himself by using pocket money and doesn’t simply take out money to use? Haha I think it was I’m the variety show Grand Canyon. He’s definitely saving up for his children’s education. So I’d like to think he is well prepared!

Imagine if JH is already working so hard like this, I wonder for the rest of the not so well to do Koreans, making ends meet to raise kids in such a high cost of living society is so hard!

Yeah he was once named as the top Korean celebrity with the highest income from rental $$$. That's why I always roll my eyes when ppl comment that he works non-stop becoz he needs the money to bring up 3 kids. Actually this guy is rich, we do not have to worry about that aspect haha... 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

8 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Same as you! I wish for him to get recognition and more great offers and there is one thing that would also be a good sign is if he gets more CF contracts. That’s where the real money is and JH suddenly stop getting those as often as he used to throughout his career. 

Probably as the years go by, he just wanted to be an actor. Purely and strictly actor. :expressionless:As an actor he is already busy enough. 

Not really “fair” comparing his “acting” in any stage of his career with SOGC, SOGC was clearly badly directed, that PD seemed like a total amateur, letting actors do whatever the heck, they were all in different tune, makeup and lighting was terrible, the drama “relied” way too much on the actors. Acting wise I see an evolution but for example, his acting in Chuno was 1000000x better than in SoGC or Gaekju. And it was done way before. Because actors need good writing and directing to truly shine. That’s why as much as I love his acting, I still prepare myself for potential disappointment, I mean he did Beautiful Mind (where I loved his perfect restrained performance) after the not subtle in any way Gaekju, thus restoring my trust in him but then he went and did Voice, where I felt he could’ve tone it down a bit and character lacked much nuance (but of course if PD says a scene is fine, it stays, so actors can’t really be responsible in the end) And then he blew my mind again in Money Flower and so on

What i had meant was the maturity of his acting. His expression, his projection, delivery of his lines, etc. All these are through experience and age. And I can see the difference from SOGC to MC. Not that I felt that his acting was bad in SOGC. I have never find fault with his acting, it is always the writing was bad. :sweat_smile:

2nd, also depends on external factors. Director, script, makeup, lighting, etc. 3rd, also depends on audience. A certain group is fine with this genre, others are not. It is very individual preference. I realised that I prefer him in mature and non noisy heavy roles like MF, BM, Bad Papa.

Isn't this thread awesome? We not only bring our different cultures, our different taste buds for drama, our different age group, our different races, all for one common goal. Jang Hyuk. :D I still think JH should visit our thread. Lol. He will be amazed! 

7 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

he even didn't get a proper A-lister female lead since then.

I noticed too. Apart from JNR and maybe Soo Ae, most of his female co star is not in the A list. I wonder if Soo Ae is even considered A list but she is popular enough. I wonder if he deliberately avoid those actresses? It isn't easy with work with A list actress. Perhaps he is more comfortable working with actress who he can clap with rather than an A list actress that he can't clap with. Acting is like clapping, you need two to clap.

8 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

But the positive things are mostly fruit of his willingness to adapt.

Agree. JH is very adaptable and this is his plus point. Not many actor is as adaptable. He has a good mindset. He knows what he wants and pursue it with the right mindset. Him being willing to do supporting roles already show he is not the typical lead role syndrome actor. He accepts change when necessary or even when not necessary. Hahaha! 

So far he has only done 2 support roles and we are freaking. Some audience enjoy WOL. It just so happened I didn't. I enjoyed only his (minimal) part. As for MC, I don't say I enjoy as in enjoy but it is getting acceptable with more and more Bang Won screen time. The writing sucks at some point but BW is marvelous. In my opinion, the writer should just make this a Bang Won story because the writing for the 3 leads is not solid enough to hold the audience. 

As for Voice, maybe the Director in Voice felt that for such genre, shouting and loudness is necessary for a detective genre. It all depends on the Director and how he wants the directing to go towards to...but I realised (am sure you all realised too) that when he raised his voice in MC, it sounded hoarse and strained. I'm sure he had to do that (rehearsal) many times before the actual shoot. :tears:

8 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

One more year means one year less to stay alive.:grimace:

Who care for presents I get them throughout year for one reason or another. Besides most of birthday present are cheap.lols

Yes indeed, 1 less year to stay alive. 

It is the thought that counts, not whether the present is cheap. It is so nice to have people to remember your birthday it means you are (still) special enough to be remembered. 

Being the nosey me as usual, I think JH is not so much caring about his own birthday but he will not miss the birthdays of his children and wife. And wedding anniversary! :expressionless:Forget wedding anniversary probably have to sleep in the living room because wife locked the bedroom door! Lol...hahaha! 

6 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

JH seems to be highly respected and liked in his industry, 

Me too. I've read that he is highly respected, liked by people in his industry and is one of the top actors in Korea. But he hardly go for those big production role. Wonder if he deliberately avoided those or he didn't get their contract. Is MF considered a big enough production?

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I think he loves them too! He expressed amazement over the details and thoughts behind them 

Didn't he say he put them up on the shelf up high so that his children doesn't break them? But his boys should be by now the height to reach the shelf. Lol. I am amazed too, the carving and the sculpture is so detailed. 

You didn't know that he owns a building? So he is not poor in terms of dollars and cents. He probably is thrifty for himself but you know, having so many mouths to feed is a burden too. 3 children + wife + his parents excluding himself. And it is not just eating, school fees and all the other miscellaneous expenses. 

Me too prefer JH to concentrate on acting than relying on commercials. Yes, the money is good but the minute you are older and have more white hair/wrinkles, they consider someone younger. I am sure all of us here want to see him put his skill to good use instead of commercials. I heard that the cost of living in Korea is very high!  

• Like 3