It’s kind of ironic because I’m not a fan of rom com but I miss Jang Hyuk in romantic and/or sexy situations. I wish he did one, could be melo or rom com but directed by the Old Goodbye/Money Flower PD. She was also one of the assistant PD in FTLY. They have worked so well together. She knows how to showcase his talent and beauty too. I would also love it if she directed him in a historical drama. She did a amazing job in The Crowned Clown. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

Presently his hair legth is perfect for transforming into a John Wick but nooooo.....!

I can't stand John Wick hair.:blink:

Although I hate his long hair now, it will be kind of wasted if he just chopped it all off won’t it? Haha.. suddenly I don’t mind him with long hair in new OCN drama .. too good a chance to be wasted ? But I think I will regret my words if he really has long hair in the drama lol 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

11 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I looove to hear new fans tell stories of "My first Jang Hyuk drama was" lolol, so, just super curious, cause I love Money Flower, what captured you about the drama, or what made you curious, since you didn't know JH yet?

@dramafan33 Thanks for sharing your story about TWDR and how you came to like him! I find myself steering away from Sageuk because I'm just not a fan of that genre, but I'm watching My Country because this is the 1st show of his that I am following "live", since I only started to like him earlier this year! Hence, My Country is a must-watch for me and it does feel good being able to follow the show weekly and look forward to it + discussing with you guys here in the forum :) 

As for what captured me about the MF drama (and I didn't start watching it because of JH), I think it's the following (nothing revolutionary though haha). Here you go!
1. The reputation MF had - I did read on a few Kdrama websites I think that it was one of the best dramas of 2017. It was highly raved as a good quality drama.
2. I liked the poster - it was very intriguing, with him puppeteering Bu Cheon. It had an old hollywood glamour feel to it.
3. I felt the genre was to my liking - not revenge per se - instead the dramatic, mysterious, darker genres because I generally don't like fluffy romcoms. (I forced myself to watch What's Wrong With Secretary Kim to understand the hype but I just couldn't sustain...)  
4. Starting the first 2 episodes of MF, I felt the cinematography was very nice, esp the part when he first met Mo Hyun and the bird sanctuary. And then I was also super intrigued by the weirdly close relationship he had with Jung Mal Ran.

It was only after that, that I was blown away by his "eye acting" in MF. Could you believe it, initially I was thinking - this main lead is not very handsome (maybe he was too clean shaven and too fair in the show, I don't know what I was thinking at that moment???!!! :crazy:) but after that when he started to act, and how he portrayed Pil Joo in such a composed and sexy manner, that was when I said ok this guy is handsome haha. I also noticed that he had a very beautiful perfectly shaped nose in MF because there were so many close up shots hahahaha. 

I started watching FTLY after that. I didn't find him particularly handsome with that hairstyle, but the fact that there was SUCH A KIND SOUL hidden beneath the boisterous exterior of Lee Gun was so heartwarming that I fell for his character, and then of course his crying scenes, his comedic scenes, his sincerity really shone in that role. But the 2nd half when he changed his hairstyle - I was sold. MOST DASHING MAN EVER! (took over the spot from my then most favorite Korean actor too :P). 

My fav scene ever in FTLY till today remains to be the scene where he was driving in the tunnel when he recalled everything in his past with Mi Young. It was so heartbreaking, and that sealed the deal for me that this man is an unstoppable actor. 

Whew, that was a long story haha. Hope you guys enjoyed reading LOL :D 

• Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

Although I hate his long hair now, it will be kind of wasted if he just chopped it all off won’t it? Haha.. suddenly I don’t mind him with long hair in new OCN drama .. too good a chance to be wasted ? But I think I will regret my words if he really has long hair in the drama lol 

He can tie in a bun or something, at least for the beginning of the drama, since he is supposed to be “eccentric”. I think long hair looks very sexy on him, but his natural wavy hair, not straightened

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

It’s kind of ironic because I’m not a fan of rom com but I miss Jang Hyuk in romantic and/or sexy situations. I wish he did one, could be melo or rom com but directed by the Old Goodbye/Money Flower PD. She was also one of the assistant PD in FTLY. They have worked so well together. She knows how to showcase his talent and beauty too. I would also love it if she directed him in a historical drama. She did a amazing job in The Crowned Clown. 

Can I upvote this 100x? Please let there be one! Next project please Hyukie :wub:

I feel EXACTLY the same. I really miss him doing romantic/sexy acting (which I only saw in FTLY but he was so good at those). Now it seems that his roles have extremely little romance in it. Let's see his works recently:
Voice - none
MF - Sexy yes but not romance haha
WOL - not sure, but sounds like you guys said none?
Bad Papa - none, since it's a family focused drama
My Country - none, but sexy LBW yes haha. 

I wonder if it's intentional on his part to steer away from romantic projects? Certainly hope not...

He needs to have one that combines both again! And I agree that the Money Flower PD was good for him. I didn't know she was the PD for Crowned Clown too? Wow. I will be optimistic that they will work together again, since she loves him and she knows that he was her pillar of strength and stood by her side when people were doubting her directing a weekend drama. 

I just want to see him smile so brightly again...

ep19_4.jpg

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

@dramafan33 Thanks for sharing your story about TWDR and how you came to like him! I find myself steering away from Sageuk because I'm just not a fan of that genre, but I'm watching My Country because this is the 1st show of his that I am following "live", since I only started to like him earlier this year! Hence, My Country is a must-watch for me and it does feel good being able to follow the show weekly and look forward to it + discussing with you guys here in the forum :) 

As for what captured me about the MF drama (and I didn't start watching it because of JH), I think it's the following (nothing revolutionary though haha). Here you go!
1. The reputation MF had - I did read on a few Kdrama websites I think that it was one of the best dramas of 2017. It was highly raved as a good quality drama.
2. I liked the poster - it was very intriguing, with him puppeteering Bu Cheon. It had an old hollywood glamour feel to it.
3. I felt the genre was to my liking - not revenge per se - instead the dramatic, mysterious, darker genres because I generally don't like fluffy romcoms. (I forced myself to watch What's Wrong With Secretary Kim to understand the hype but I just couldn't sustain...)  
4. Starting the first 2 episodes of MF, I felt the cinematography was very nice, esp the part when he first met Mo Hyun and the bird sanctuary. And then I was also super intrigued by the weirdly close relationship he had with Jung Mal Ran.

It was only after that, that I was blown away by his "eye acting" in MF. Could you believe it, initially I was thinking - this main lead is not very handsome (maybe he was too clean shaven and too fair in the show, I don't know what I was thinking at that moment???!!! :crazy:) but after that when he started to act, and how he portrayed Pil Joo in such a composed and sexy manner, that was when I said ok this guy is handsome haha. I also noticed that he had a very beautiful perfectly shaped nose in MF because there were so many close up shots hahahaha. 

I started watching FTLY after that. I didn't find him particularly handsome with that hairstyle, but the fact that there was SUCH A KIND SOUL hidden beneath the boisterous exterior of Lee Gun was so heartwarming that I fell for his character, and then of course his crying scenes, his comedic scenes, his sincerity really shone in that role. But the 2nd half when he changed his hairstyle - I was sold. MOST DASHING MAN EVER! (took over the spot from my then most favorite Korean actor too :P). 

My fav scene ever in FTLY till today remains to be the scene where he was driving in the tunnel when he recalled everything in his past with Mi Young. It was so heartbreaking, and that sealed the deal for me that this man is an unstoppable actor. 

Whew, that was a long story haha. Hope you guys enjoyed reading LOL :D 

Wow it's nice to read detailed 'report' of how one fall in love with Hyukie!! I love your descriptions !!

For me  it was in 2015 when I saw reports of a new upcoming drama 'Merchant 2015', and I read the comments of ppl saying how they love this JH guy from Chuno etc. So I went to google images of Chuno and saw a long curly hair dirty male lead, which I was put off haha.. Doesnt look to be my cup of tea.  Later somehow I can't rem why but I still went to watch it, and was blown off by Daegil. But one drama was not enuf to seal the fate, so I went on to find his other works and watched TWDR, and double wow!!! Got seriously hooked after that haha..

• Like 4

I saw you guys are discussing MF and JH's lack of recent sexy/romantic roles, and I wonder- did any of you comment about the strange relationship between Pill Joo and Boo-Cheon? I mean, people call it a bromance, but bros don't usually touch like that or get into bed while the other is sleeping... MF was so strange from that aspect- on the one hand, JH's acting was very sensual, but Pill Joo never did anything sexual that we saw, but then we get these scenes with Boo-Cheon and that odd scene in the bedroom with Mal-Ran, that we still hope doesn't mean what we think it mean :flushed:... I wonder if the constant touching on Boo-Cheon side was the actor's idea, as in the rehearsals we saw him hug Pill Joo, to which JH joking responded he's not into men :joy: Love that BTS...

• LOL 4

3 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

It was like 14-15%. Even most popular and highly rated Hallyu dramas of earlier generation hardly pulled such high ratings. Only weekend dramas could do this.

In terms of today rating or what? It's peak to 42.6% at that time. 

• Insightful 2

4 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Omo is he trying to write his own love story? Oh wrong, that would be in his 20s.. Wonder what he has in mind haha

Do K-dramas have this type of flying genre? Can't recall any..

And I think he hasn't tried any time-travel dramas yet? Maybe something he can consider haha..

I think his love story would be more interesting esp the separation during the scandal. How does he endure the 2 years without being able to come home.

I don't think so too that k drama has such flying genre. JH can be the 1st to start it. :sweat_smile:C drama everyone is flying around these days :Dinitially it was interesting but after awhile, it does get boring too. Too much CGI these days that it is beginning to look fake. Hence, am wanting to go back to basic, to see pugilist fight with sword again. Was hoping to see that in Bang Won. Fighting with sword. But I hope some day he will do a flying genre. :grimace:

Didn't he do Old Goodbye? That was time travel right?  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I think his love story would be more interesting esp the separation during the scandal. How does he endure the 2 years without being able to come home.

I don't think so too that k drama has such flying genre. JH can be the 1st to start it. :sweat_smile:C drama everyone is flying around these days :Dinitially it was interesting but after awhile, it does get boring too. Too much CGI these days that it is beginning to look fake. Hence, am wanting to go back to basic, to see pugilist fight with sword again. Was hoping to see that in Bang Won. Fighting with sword. But I hope some day he will do a flying genre. :grimace:

Didn't he do Old Goodbye? That was time travel right?  

Oh but that was 1 episode only..

I think the best chance to see JH fight with sword will be the movie 'The Swordsman', someday... someday...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

I saw you guys are discussing MF and JH's lack of recent sexy/romantic roles, and I wonder- did any of you comment about the strange relationship between Pill Joo and Boo-Cheon? I mean, people call it a bromance, but bros don't usually touch like that or get into bed while the other is sleeping... MF was so strange from that aspect- on the one hand, JH's acting was very sensual, but Pill Joo never did anything sexual that we saw, but then we get these scenes with Boo-Cheon and that odd scene in the bedroom with Mal-Ran, that we still hope doesn't mean what we think it mean :flushed:... I wonder if the constant touching on Boo-Cheon side was the actor's idea, as in the rehearsals we saw him hug Pill Joo, to which JH joking responded he's not into men :joy: Love that BTS...

I just tweeted about this. They definitely had a homo-erotic vibe. I think it was totally intentional (I mean come on, those scenes of them slicing apples and stabbing tables were just so charged) but possibly fueled by the fact that there was chemistry between the actors. Same with Mal Ran. So much heat! I was not against Piljoo sacrificing himself to seduce her for the sake of his revenge :rolleyes::P

• Like 2
  • Naughty 1
  • LOL 3

7 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Could you believe it, initially I was thinking - this main lead is not very handsome (maybe he was too clean shaven and too fair in the show, I don't know what I was thinking at that moment???!!! 

Lol!! I was like that too when I first watched FTLY and BM.  No wonder kfangurl mentioned that JH's charm is best appreciated when he is in motion. (Read her awesome review on Money flower at  https://www.google.com/amp/s/thefangirlverdict.com/2018/02/10/review-money-flower/amp/) His looks kinda of grows on you,  the more you watch him, the more handsome and charming he is , until you become addicted to his looks and acting..haha!

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Definitely not the straight hair he appeared at the 2nd press conference. :sleepy:

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

Can I upvote this 100x? Please let there be one! Next project please Hyukie :wub:

I feel EXACTLY the same. I really miss him doing romantic/sexy acting (which I only saw in FTLY but he was so good at those). Now it seems that his roles have extremely little romance in it. Let's see his works recently:
Voice - none
MF - Sexy yes but not romance haha
WOL - not sure, but sounds like you guys said none?
Bad Papa - none, since it's a family focused drama
My Country - none, but sexy LBW yes haha. 

I wonder if it's intentional on his part to steer away from romantic projects? Certainly hope not...

He needs to have one that combines both again! And I agree that the Money Flower PD was good for him. I didn't know she was the PD for Crowned Clown too? Wow. I will be optimistic that they will work together again, since she loves him and she knows that he was her pillar of strength and stood by her side when people were doubting her directing a weekend drama. 

WOL - writer nim forgot to pair him off with the vet. I think she wrote until she forgot. The girl said if they meet again by coincidence the 5th time, she will take it that they are meant to be together. They met by coincidence 4x and I was hopeful a 5th is coming but nothing. So what is the point of letting them meet 4x by coincidence? Think writer-nim forgot to add the 5th time. :sweat_smile:

Bad Papa - I was hoping for (at least) 1 love scene with his wife after their reconciliation. Btw, did you like bad papa? I do like it. My fav scene is when his daughter made him dressed up in suit to go on a date with his wife. Mine! What a contrast from Pil Joo. PJ looked so good in suit, Ji Cheol looked so weird in suit! :joy:

BM - got kiss scene by the hospital bed. 

I don't think JH would intentionally steer away from kissing. As he said in interview (the chinese article I showed you previously), that if he is working, work supersede his personal life. He had said work is work, personal life is personal life.

and I wonder- did any of you comment about the strange relationship between Pill Joo and Boo-Cheon? I mean, people call it a bromance, but bros don't usually touch like that or get into bed while the other is sleeping

Didn't find any thing strange about the relationship between PJ and BC. I like their bromance more than Pil Joo and Mo Hyun. BC and PJ grew up together since teens so naturally they are comfortable with each other that "occasionally" sleeping on the same bed is a norm. But I don't recall it in the drama. Only recalled it was PJ waiting for BC to come back and fell asleep on BC bed. As for the other 3 pic, BC was angry with PJ with regards to MH. 

I wonder if the constant touching on Boo-Cheon side was the actor's idea, as in the rehearsals we saw him hug Pill Joo, to which JH joking responded he's not into men :joy: Love that BTS...

I think BC just love JH as an older brother. In his thank you speech when he got an award, you can see he truly thanked JH from his heart and is grateful for JH guidance.   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

(I mean come on, those scenes of them slicing apples and stabbing tables were just so charged) but possibly fueled by the fact that there was chemistry between the actors. Same with Mal Ran. So much heat! I was not against Piljoo sacrificing himself to seduce her for the sake of his revenge :rolleyes::P

Oh I love that scene where PJ sliced the apple and stab the table! His face looked so scary. :tears: Don't provoke PJ ya. The man can get rough. Just love that scene before he revealed his identity he was hugging Mal Ran so close. I wonder if she got electrocuted. 

21 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@budgerie @Prettysup They used a lot of wite in TWDR, Ddolbock had a move that was like a magic leap. I guess that’s the closest I’ve seen to “flying” but never to the extent of a c-drama. I enjoyed those fight scenes in TWDR but personally, I much prefer the action scenes in Chuno

Oh yes (hahaha)! Can't really recall the full story of TWDR. Somewhat related to King Taejong as in Bang Won, right? 

These days C drama are mostly CGI that is too much. I am waiting to see JH fight and like what @Prettysupsaid, someday....someday we will see Swordman. I was so happy when I could see him use a sword with Seon Ho but it was so short! 

• Like 2

Haha yes I remember feeling that way about them too, although I know it wasn't meant in that way, it was definitely intentional for them to have scenes where BC fed him the apple (??!!), and also how close their faces came to each other when talking. But then again, PJ does that with both MR and BC, but he doesn't with MH. He really kept his distance with MH..... so little contact LOL. 

33 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Bad Papa - I was hoping for (at least) 1 love scene with his wife after their reconciliation. Btw, did you like bad papa? I do like it. My fav scene is when his daughter made him dressed up in suit to go on a date with his wife. Mine! What a contrast from Pil Joo. PJ looked so good in suit, Ji Cheol looked so weird in suit!

I didn't watch yet haha. He looked quite pitiful in the show, like he was living a hard life... and I couldn't bear seeing JH in that role. Think I'll be too sad and affected haha. But it's on netflix now, so.... I may watch abit. I'm hoping BM comes to Netflix! 

36 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Lol!! I was like that too when I first watched FTLY and BM.  No wonder kfangurl mentioned that JH's charm is best appreciated when he is in motion. (Read her awesome eview on Money flower at  https://www.google.com/amp/s/thefangirlverdict.com/2018/02/10/review-money-flower/amp/) His looks kinda of grows on you,  the more you watch him, the more handsome and charming he is , until you become addicted to his looks and acting..haha!

Yes! I read her review the moment I finished watching MF. Seems like she's a big fan of him too right? And yup, his looks alone are not enough to make me hooked, it is truly his acting that transcends boundaries. That's why in the fan meeting (was it in July?) the fans voted that his acting was the #1 thing they liked about him right? I remember reading on your IG posts haha. And he was jokingly disappointed that it wasn't his handsome face that was #1 LOL.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Haha yes I remember feeling that way about them too, although I know it wasn't meant in that way, it was definitely intentional for them to have scenes where BC fed him the apple (??!!), and also how close their faces came to each other when talking. But then again, PJ does that with both MR and BC, but he doesn't with MH. He really kept his distance with MH..... so little contact LOL. 

Oops! Am I the weird one? I didn't feel any thing strange about the bromance. I thought it was really "family closeness" and "comfortable" with each other. Then again, this is k culture. Maybe it looked strange to us but not for koreans. 

MH is BC wife. You can't expect PJ to not be a gentleman. :grimace:

I didn't watch yet haha. He looked quite pitiful in the show, like he was living a hard life... and I couldn't bear seeing JH in that role. Think I'll be too sad and affected haha. But it's on netflix now, so.... I may watch abit. I'm hoping BM comes to Netflix! 

Indeed a hard life. It pained me too watching BPP. I truly want to give writer-nim "a piece of my mind" for the ending. :bawling:But the story is so applicable in real life. As in the breadwinner of the household struggles to bring home the bread and having a teenager kid (who is somewhat rebellious at 17 years old) and his relationship with his wife estranged. I actually like storyline which are close to real life. 

Yes! I read her review the moment I finished watching MF. Seems like she's a big fan of him too right? And yup, his looks alone are not enough to make me hooked, it is truly his acting that transcends boundaries. That's why in the fan meeting (was it in July?) the fans voted that his acting was the #1 thing they liked about him right? I remember reading on your IG posts haha. And he was jokingly disappointed that it wasn't his handsome face that was #1 LOL.

For me is look + acting + manly + sexy + rich! I am referring to PJ. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I just tweeted about this. They definitely had a homo-erotic vibe. I think it was totally intentional (I mean come on, those scenes of them slicing apples and stabbing tables were just so charged) but possibly fueled by the fact that there was chemistry between the actors. Same with Mal Ran. So much heat! I was not against Piljoo sacrificing himself to seduce her for the sake of his revenge :rolleyes::P

Oh, I saw your tweet! This is how I saw this tweet I posted :)  I do agree about the vibe. I think JH's acting made almost every interaction with Pill Joo seem sexual, and the other actors went with it. The only scene that was written as being sensual for Pill Joo was the scene in which he revealed who he was to Mal Ran. This is why it was so odd to me that the only thing that Pill Joo did romantically in the show was be kissed without even responding. So odd. I already said in another post that for all we know, Pill Joo was a virgin :) since there was not mention of a woman connected to Pill Joo, even during the three years Mo-Hyun and Boo-Cheon were away. 

One things about the show is that Pill Joo never lost control. Never really allowed his emotions to run loose, and this is something I wish we saw. I actually loved his interactions with So-Hee. He wasn't gentle with her, and she showed courage while he was threatening her. I actually thought the actress had much better chemistry with JH than Park Se-Young. So I would have liked it if Pill Joo got involved with her, if only as part of a way to keep her away from Boo-Cheon, and show us that Pill Joo was human, and not a machine. 

• Like 4