1 hour ago, AgnesO said:

Of course! They should anticipate this when they cast him in supporting role as YBW :P 

And honestly, I don't think the 3 leads have too little screen time, its because of the overpowering presence of JH as YBW that they have this misconception.  Like I mentioned earlier, I almost forgot that Hwi is the lead here too.

:Dthey didn't force him to accept a supporting role. He willingly did! Twice I read almost the same thing in remarks column. Not sure if it is from the same writer.

Once was during WOL, a writer wrote that JH fans are unhappy that he is doing a supporting role in WOL. Writer said that JH himself gave explanation why he did WOL. Why are his fans still so unhappy?

Another time is this drama MC. Writer commented he/she doesn't understand why JH fans are unhappy he is doing a supporting role. Writer said that since JH himself said that he wants to act for a long time, JH is aware of his age catching up, he can't be a lead all the time. So why are his fans so unhappy? 

Food for thought right? I am so self contradicting. One hand wants him to have lots screen time. Other hand wants him to be happy, to act the roles he truly desires and not just jump into any roles, have lots of time with his family and take care of his health.  

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

I’ve started watching Voice again. But kinda bored in some parts because I think the focus of the drama is on the cases and not so much character development. The police and detectives are just there to solve the cases.

Frankly, in every drama or almost every drama, there will be bored moments. Either the beginning is boring or the middle is boring. But if it is not the genre for you, might as well not watch it rather than forcing yourself to watch and not enjoy it. Any parts that is boring for me, I fast forward :sweat_smile:and I don't know how I survived MF without fast forwarding. I enjoyed MF. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Frankly, in every drama or almost every drama, there will be bored moments. Either the beginning is boring or the middle is boring. But if it is not the genre for you, might as well not watch it rather than forcing yourself to watch and not enjoy it. Any parts that is boring for me, I fast forward :sweat_smile:and I don't know how I survived MF without fast forwarding. I enjoyed MF. 

I was abit bored at the beginning of MF, but that was because I did not discover JH’s charms yet. But once episode 5-6 hit, I was watching it till the wee hours of the morning and had to curb myself from watching else I wouldn’t get enough sleep. Haha it was so so good! I did not fast forward either. Because every single actor in the show was amazing. that was when I started getting intrigued by JH. It was my first drama of his. 

Then I thought I should try watching some of his other shows. At that time only FTLY was on Netflix. I am not typically a romcom fan AT ALL! But somehow got hooked by Li Gun’s charms. It was cheesy and formulaic yes, but yet it was a modern day Cinderella story that had so much heart, not just being romcom for the sake of it. 

and like @dramafan33 said, the chemistry of the Jangs really made you feel like you were on a  Beautiful journey with them. 

I was smitten by Li Gun and there was no turning back after haha. 

I still have many shows of his that I haven’t watched, but frankly I don’t feel the need to watch all his past shows because like you @budgerie said, if a genre is not to my liking I shouldn’t force it. But, I will watch beautiful mind and Chuno just because they were personally recommended by all you guys here :grin:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Sometimes I truly pity him. The man just want to enjoy acting. Is passionate in his craft. He wants to try out and do all sorts of roles and not just restrict himself to 1 genre. 

Why are fans the ones restricting him that he must take this role, do that role. But I am guilty of that as well. So far the roles I got put off was Iris and WOL.

Haha so true ! Some fans are so critical, he shouldn’t act this, he shouldn’t act that. His character shouldn’t do this, he should do that instead. The writer should write this way, the director should do that etc etc etc... 

Are we expecting too much from him? Do we expect him to have control over every piece of his work? I think we should let him have his own space for creativity and live the life he wants. If there is something u do not like, then just don’t watch it, it’s ok, you don’t have to like everything about him, I think it’s perfectly alright. Personally I also do not like everything that he does. 

So I think I am going to stop worrying about his future works from now. If it turns out well, congrats! If not, never mind, there’s always another chance. And he can have whatever hairstyle he wants, i will just cringe if it’s not my liking haha. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

I think it’s the Thai remake. I’ve started watching Voice again. But kinda bored in some parts because I think the focus of the drama is on the cases and not so much character development. The police and detectives are just there to solve the cases.

Voice is quite popular internationally, a lot of ppl know JH by “the lead actor of Voice1”. Besides this Thai remake, there is also a Japanese version, acted by a quite famous veteran. 

But yeah it does focus more on cases than characters, so ppl who prefer deep characters development dramas may not enjoy it. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

I was abit bored at the beginning of MF, but that was because I did not discover JH’s charms yet. But once episode 5-6 hit, I was watching it till the wee hours of the morning and had to curb myself from watching else I wouldn’t get enough sleep. Haha it was so so good! I did not fast forward either. Because every single actor in the show was amazing. that was when I started getting intrigued by JH. It was my first drama of his. 

Then I thought I should try watching some of his other shows. At that time only FTLY was on Netflix. I am not typically a romcom fan AT ALL! But somehow got hooked by Li Gun’s charms. It was cheesy and formulaic yes, but yet it was a modern day Cinderella story that had so much heart, not just being romcom for the sake of it. 

I looove to hear new fans tell stories of "My first Jang Hyuk drama was" lolol, so, just super curious, cause I love Money Flower, what captured you about the drama, or what made you curious, since you didn't know JH yet?

I had a similar experience but my case was Tree with deep roots (in retrospect, not his best performance, but for some reason Ddolbock still moves me and makes me cry like few other characters, might be "first love" syndrome or something) But yeah, I got hooked on Queen Seodeok (especially Kim Nam Gil as Bidam) and since he had not done many dramas and was doing MS, I couldn't continue on a Kim Nam Gil journey but was craving another sageuk so much! And I read someone recommending TWDR and Chuno, both with JH, I went for Chuno first, and first thing I noticed were his expressive intense eyes, I was like, ok, nice! he looks like an actor I will appreciate but Chuno's premise didn't capture me first, I wanted more "historical" figures and palace intrigue stuff, so I put it on hold and went for Tree...and I loooooved it so much, the story, everything, Ddolbock's eyes, also intense (same actor duh! lol) and interestingly, I got hooked on his high energy acting, while nowadays I prefer his calmer, more nuanced scenes. But he was so dynamic, doing martial arts, sometimes doing humorous scenes, then full of rage, I loved his versatility but I never for one second thought he was sexy lol! I was mostly attracted to the character and story, not his looks (I still think its not his best look) But at some point he did some sexy gestures, like a smile or whatnot, and it was my mom who noticed his handsome features, his pretty nose lol and she made me "see it". Then we decided to follow up with Chuno, and well, his acting there was so nuanced and dynamic and perfect!  And his sexiness was off the charts. The rest is history... (there have been many disappointing dramas after, first drama I watched while airing was Iris2 and it was a pretty depressing experience as a fan lol) 

However, after all these years, like @Prettysup says, I don't "worry" anymore. I used to worry uselessly, I mean, its not like us fans can do anything as much as we rant, but of course, a person needs to vent, so it's ok to do it once in a while. 

• Like 7

On 11/11/2019 at 10:44 PM, Biology Lesson said:

So, saw ep. 11 and I have to say everything to do with Hwi and and his friend/enemy is so badly written! It seems like the show's tradition of "telling, not showing" continues...The description of the doctor of Nam Seon made me roll my eyes so hard! He said-"...his eyes looked empty. It seemed like something was eating away at his mind"...  Really?! that's your description?! Not "dark eyes, thick lips, kinda handsome"? Who talks like that?! :joy: Thank you writers for telling us point blank what's going on with this guy and not showing us. Saves us time, I guess... :smirk:

On the other hand, we were being told TWICE in the show that Hwi was handsome. Once by Hwi's friends and then by YBW's brother, who also told us Hwi had a "voice sweet as honey".  And I'm like "what?! what are these guys talking about? Is he really saying that when his brother looks like JH?". Hwi looks OK, and seems like a sweet guy, but nothing that special. I think Nam Seon is better looking, but maybe I'm wrong... It amused me that the writers felt they needed to tell the audience that he was handsome, and not to believe their lying eyes :)

A Korean actor that i think have a sweet like honey voice is Jo Jung Suk. lol. Not coz he's also a singer but when he act I think his voice is soothing. haha. my opinion only.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

19 hours ago, Prettysup said:

I think he had said before he wanted to be a scriptwriter? But it will be sad for us fans not being able to see him on screen.

If I remember correctly he does want to write a script about 40 something man love story? We have fun discuss this before isn't it?:w00t:

• Like 4

8 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Wow! I am surprised that MF was your 1st drama of JH. I thought you came from FTLY. To be frank, if I didn't know JH, I might not have endured MF because the drama itself is heavy (lol) but I might have sit through it because of Pil Joo. :D

the chemistry of the Jangs really made you feel like you were on a  Beautiful journey with them. 

Definitely. The chemistry of the Jangs is unspeakable. However, too much chemistry turned me off. I can't stand the shy giggling, peeping at each other, covering the face and giggling or acting cute, that isn't my cup of tea. :sweat_smile:

I still have many shows of his that I haven’t watched, but frankly I don’t feel the need to watch all his past shows because like you @budgerie said, if a genre is not to my liking I shouldn’t force it. But, I will watch beautiful mind and Chuno just because they were personally recommended by all you guys here :grin:

May I remind you that BM is also a heavy drama. But I think you will like JH portrayal as Lee Young Oh. However, to be frank, I did not like the couple pairing. :expressionless:

One of my favourite drama of his is Thank You. I still go back occasionally to watch snippets. Love the chemistry between him and Shin Ae who was a little girl then. It's a 2007 drama but I like the story of how people (in general) ostracized people with Aids. The one who contracted Aids was the little girl. If the genre sounds right to you, give it a try. But you will probably frown at the fashion of the day and his look. He definitely looks much more manly and handsome and sexy now than before. 

9 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Haha so true ! Some fans are so critical, he shouldn’t act this, he shouldn’t act that. His character shouldn’t do this, he should do that instead. The writer should write this way, the director should do that etc etc etc... 

Frankly, I am fine with criticising about the plot as in "why still did'nt fight" or "why does he have to die" those kind. It isn't truly criticising anyone just perhaps venting frustration as the drama unfolds. 

But I am appalled by people who thinks that JH is capable of calling the shots in the film set. He is an actor, not a director.  

Are we expecting too much from him? Do we expect him to have control over every piece of his work? I think we should let him have his own space for creativity and live the life he wants. If there is something u do not like, then just don’t watch it, it’s ok, you don’t have to like everything about him, I think it’s perfectly alright. Personally I also do not like everything that he does.

It is very individual preference. In all of his projects, there will be people who like and people who don't. I may be put off by IRIS and WOL but I believe there are those who like IRIS and WOL.  

But most of the time we are not looking at things from JH point of view. We are looking it at our point of view and feel he

shouldn't do this genre or he must do that genre. We almost could become the writer and director ourselves already. :sweat_smile:

So I think I am going to stop worrying about his future works from now. If it turns out well, congrats! If not, never mind, there’s always another chance. And he can have whatever hairstyle he wants, i will just cringe if it’s not my liking haha. 

Yes, you got a point. Who are we to worry? Not like he will stop doing a certain project just because we worry. But I am not optimistic about his new drama. I mean for myself. It isn't a genre I enjoy.  

I wish he will do a "flying around" drama like those in C drama or a drama in which he is the emperor. I quite enjoy watching palace type of genre (C drama) provided it isn't long winded. I also enjoyed watching Dae Jang Geum and Dong Yi and Jumong. The only 3 korean period drama that I've watched. 

But yeah it does focus more on cases than characters, so ppl who prefer deep characters development dramas may not enjoy it. 

It is similar to CSI (crime scene investigation) type of genre. Case instead of character. Some people enjoyed this type of drama. So actually, there is no "wrong" drama that JH has done. Is only whether individual likes it or not.  

• Like 3

On 11/10/2019 at 2:31 PM, budgerie said:

I often wonder it would be nice if JH can act a 仙侠 type of drama, like those in C drama, flying around type. Immortal. He would look super good in all white long gown. Usually the immortal are superb in martial arts. And they fly too so horses are not needed. :sweat_smile:You know, the story similar to "The Journey of Flower" that type. :grimace: 

I’m always looking forward to him to be part of some marvel productions 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Chuno continues to be his most successful drama in terms of ratings, critics and awards. No other drama of his has reached 30% He even got an international Emmy nomination

I think SSOBG reach 40% or 50% rating isn't it. But, it's common for a drama at that time. But, agreed that Chuno is his most successful in term of everything. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, yoeda said:

If I remember correctly he does want to write a script about 40 something man love story? We have fun discuss this before isn't it?:w00t:

Omo is he trying to write his own love story? Oh wrong, that would be in his 20s.. Wonder what he has in mind haha

12 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I wish he will do a "flying around" drama like those in C drama or a drama in which he is the emperor. I quite enjoy watching palace type of genre (C drama) provided it isn't long winded. I also enjoyed watching Dae Jang Geum and Dong Yi and Jumong. The only 3 korean period drama that I've watched. 

Do K-dramas have this type of flying genre? Can't recall any..

And I think he hasn't tried any time-travel dramas yet? Maybe something he can consider haha..

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

20 minutes ago, kohnlee said:

I’m always looking forward to him to be part of some marvel productions 

Can we campaigning him to join John Wick franchise instead? he sure look cool as an assassin. No need to speak much English coz JW seem to know every language. lol. Like they do with Cecep and Yayan from Indonesia in their scene in Parabellum. :w00t::w00t:

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, yoeda said:

I think SSOBG reach 40% or 50% rating isn't it. But, it's common for a drama at that time. But, agreed that Chuno is his most successful in term of everything. 

It was like 14-15%. Even most popular and highly rated Hallyu dramas of earlier generation hardly pulled such high ratings. Only weekend dramas could do this.