10 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I really don't understand this is obsession of making actors sing.

IDK about other countries but I remembered in the 80s, when HK entertainment industry was a success, then, the so called "up & rising" actors actresses would sometimes act as well as sing the drama theme song. Or if there's a gala performance (very common in those days in HK entertainment), the actors actresses have to perform dance & sing. And you know, live singing can be a challenge even to professional singers, what more a non professional singer.

10 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Cool! BTS clips from Flu that I've never seen-

I find this little girl so cute in her acting with JH. :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

A really nice new MV for My Country... What I like about it is that there is minimal Hwi in it :)Makes me again wish that show was as good as JH was in it... 

Thanks for this! Until today I still continue to be in awe of the regal, dashing, majestic and empathetic portrayal of Bang Won by JH. One of his FINEST performance for sure! 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, corey said:

Oh c'mon :D How can you? BangHwi is my favorite pairing of JH. Bang Won realy, really cares for Hwi. Killing Nam Jeong for him, so he would not feel awful... Making him stay with his friend...Saying that he is "his person"... Not letting him go at the request of some girl...Those long, long stares...Chemistry through the roof!

Oh, How can I! Easily! :) The whole connection was so contrived, to inject this fake character with importance they essentially made it as if Bang Won owed his victory to Hwi, which annoyed me to no end. It was expected since Hwi was the lead, but still annoying. I also didn't like the acting by the actor playing Hwi. Too soft, nothing in him to suggest a hardened warrior. If I'd ship Bang Won with anyone, it would be with the other lead character. Their interaction was so much more heated! :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, corey said:

Oh c'mon :D How can you? BangHwi is my favourite pairing of JH. Bang Won realy, really cares for Hwi. Killing Nam Jeong for him, so he would not feel awful... Making him stay with his friend...Saying that he is "his person"... Not letting him go at the request of some girl...Those long, long stares...Chemistry through the roof!

Ya! I agree.. their off screen interactions feel good too! 

And look at the cute JH below, hard to believe he is mad dog, bad tempered detective Moo..

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@corey @Biology Lesson I love Banghwi but I found more “heat” in the rivalry between Bangwon and Seonho. Acting wise I also enjoyed Dohwan (Seonho) more, so those Bangwon and Seonho confrontations were a lot of fun to me. Also, I think Bangwon had chemistry with everyone, the girl, the Queen, acting wise he had great rapport with Bangan, Namjeon, those scenes with his father were amazing. And last but not least, the ultimate ship, Bangwon and his fan B)

@azureblue7 His fast blinking is one of my favorite things :wub:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

7 hours ago, corey said:

TBH, now you mentioned it, I also found it strange that the script basically made Hwi a superhero genius, not only excelling at martial arts, but capable of contriving convoluted political plots with double- and triple-crossing. I thought that Bang Won, being a seasoned politician and warrior, could do very well without Hwi, but no... BW seems to admire Hwi, which is also strage given that BW is royalty and Hwi is well, lower class? Therefore my only conclusion regarding their relationship is that BW somehow has fallen for Hwi - otherwise I see no other explanation...

Well, another explanation would be bad writing... :rolleyes: you see, the writers of this show had a gimmick- using a real historical event as a back drop for their fictional characters. And they wanted to make them central to the historical event, so they had to make it as though they were important to the  real historical characters involved. And in order to do that they had to reduce Bang Won, to invent a scenario in which Bang Won actually had a secret weapon that was Hwi, when in reality, from what I understood, it was all Bang Won. Essentially they split the real Bang Won and created Hwi and made him into a "Mary sue"- a character that is perfect in everything she does with no growth. And that's boring. To me at least. Bang won excessive trust in Hwi was never justified, but it was necessary for the writers. This show in general suffered from the "tell, not show" syndrome, as it is...

Spoiler

But as a recall at the end they tried to justify why BW gave so much responsibility to Hwi, right? Suggesting that he felt guilt for the fact that he was responsible for Hwi's father's death...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson 

Hide contents

Its possible that Corey has not finished watching the show. I mean, that was my assumption based on her comments. 

Well, I actually didn't finish the show :) You don't need to finish to show to see what was going on, and she actually described the same thing I saw, only she had a different explanation to it :) a far sexier explanation...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:
  Hide contents

I meant about BW’s relationship with Hwi’s dad. Even though many ppl suspected it, that wasn’t revealed until the last episodes. I think its a spoiler for her. 

Oh, I forgot about that, since I guessed that before that episode was aired :) edited my previous response... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corey said:

He he, I also have not finished the show yet, as the internet is so slow these days and fast-forwarding is difficult. Re: sexier explanation, it is again my starved mind, I think :D

I honestly wish I watched this show when it aired - maybe then I would have been able to follow the plot line closely. As it was, I was not able to see what the main plot/story line was - is it BW struggle for power - well, no, because BW does not appear until the 3rd episode. Was it the friendship between the boys - well, not entirely, as in the middle of the show it focuses mostly on political struggle between Nam Jeon and BW. Was it a love story - not really. Was it a story about changing regime between Goryeo and Joseon? All it all it was too much for my simple mind.

As usual, to feel better I re-watch episodes 8 and 9 of SOGC. Of course, I always skip the unnecessary filler/comic relief - the FL's gormless gambling brother - but I can never tire of watching the scene of the princes' tournament and the banquet which follows - when Wang So does not know that it is Gaebong telling the princes' fortunes and looks at her coldly, but she has eyes only for him. And poor Im Joo Hwan oppa who loves her so sincerely does not even get a single look from her and a rather unfavourable prophecy!

Well, I watched it while it aired and still I'm like you- I have no idea what was the main plot. But I will admit, I didn't watch the two first episodes, except the brief scene at the beginning in which JH appeared. I did try and watch episode 3 and 4 in full, but then I got bored by the antics of Hwi's idiot friends and the nonsense drama between the two friends and with the girl and sister. All that was so typical and predictable, that I couldn't produce any interest in watching that. What I realized is that everything in the show that wasn't about the real historical events was badly written. The behavior of both the friends wasn't really justified. It was just drama for drama's sake. Even if I tried, the only interesting character in the show was Bang Won! He was so complex, so emotional, so tough yet so vulnerable to the father.  To me it's clear that the reason this character was so good wasn't the writers, it was JH! And the relationship between Bang won and his dad was the only relationship I was interested in. Bang Won's relationship with Hwi (and with the girl. What was the point in that?!), to me, was as badly written as all the other relationships in the show. No justification for it, except that he is the lead and need to become important. The writers used a very lazy trick to prove Hwi was the greatest and smartest warrior there has ever been- simply make Bang Won impressed with him and make all the warriors that Bang won actually have complete idiots and incompetent. And split the real Bang won, take things that are historically known as done by him, and give them to Hwi. The same went to the girl- how do we prove she tough and smart? Make her win confrontations with Bang Won. 

At the end of the day, it really saddened me that JH's magnificent Bang Won was wasted on this show, but I really liked almost all of his scenes, so I guess, it wasn't a total waste. I'm still waiting for someone to put out an edit of the show with only Bang Won's scenes.

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson @corey Yes, this was mentioned. Notice that is also Chilsung’s look in the poster and there were other scenes that he shot with this look. His demeanor was also different. To me it seems JH was playing the character more straightforward, less quirky. The scenes were re-shot per the PDs or writer’s request (I don’t remember who). He definitely looked more handsome originally. Remember, he had just played Piljoo. 

I believe you should be able to find interviews where they talk about this. I don’t remember all the details. 

@azureblue7 He is punching with some strength and speed here. I normally don’t pay too much attention to his gym practice but this one was a bit different. Happy about his long hair :wub:

JH briefly talking about kiss scenes, he says, it used to be hard for him when younger, now that he is older and more experienced it’s no big deal (granted those kisses he had in Gaekju were meh) But anyway, it does not seem to me like he has much reservation when it comes to kissing. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

40 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson @corey Yes, this was mentioned. Notice that is also Chilsung’s look in the poster and there were other scenes that he shot with this look. His demeanor was also different. To me it seems JH was playing the character more straightforward, less quirky. The scenes were re-shot per the PDs or writer’s request (I don’t remember who). He definitely looked more handsome originally. Remember, he had just played Piljoo. 

I believe you should be able to find interviews where they talk about this. I don’t remember all the details. 

I remember he said that they had to reshoot his scenes because initially he didn't have a handle on Chilsung, didn't know who he was. I only wonder whose decision it was to change his look too. I wonder if it was JH's.

40 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@azureblue7 He is punching with some strength and speed here. I normally don’t pay too much attention to his gym practice but this one was a bit different. Happy about his long hair :wub:

JH briefly talking about kiss scenes, he says, it used to be hard for him when younger, now that he is older and more experienced it’s no big deal (granted those kisses he had in Gaekju were meh) But anyway, it does not seem to me like he has much reservation when it comes to kissing. 

I just saw this video too, and your conclusion is similar to mine! :) with all our discussion, yes to kissing, no to kissing, he did say this in the interview here- no big deal to him anymore :) 

I also love his head movements and expressions here, the moment he thought she was offended. How his feelings are immediately expressed physically in him :) . 

• Like 2