1 hour ago, budgerie said:

You haven't watched Friends in Croatia? He is funny there. In DB he sort of acted the youngest because he is the youngest amongst them but in FIC, he acted like an older bro to Ki Sub. Not sure how old is Seung Hwan though.

There was this scene where they visited a church. JH said he is a catholic, whole family is. KS was surprised to find out too. 

I think I watched snippets but not the whole show. Only watched the part where they went into the sea and JH tried to stand on the canoe. I shall watch the whole show again!

12 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Didn't he say he actually has a phobia of water since the filming of Windstruck? If I'm not mistaken he said that they had a scene in the water in which he almost drowned. 

I think this is the BTS of it. You can see the girl screaming out of panic in the beginning. JH is quiet, but I think this was really traumatizing to him. Also- notice that the girl is actually massaging his chest! I'm quite certain that's dangerous. This entire clip is horrifying...

The director looks so... fierce and demanding... shouting at the beginning. 

26 minutes ago, budgerie said:

JH is going to be busy again I guess. I read in chinese article that when FTLY was very well received, netizens or media became curious about this man (again) after Daegil and started to find out about his private life (again) like who is his wife. How she looks like, etc....is he going to go through that again...??

Hopefully not his private life, I just hope he goes on a few interviews or some variety shows! It's been so long he's on one, compared to when he used to go on so many last time, this feels super long?? With his new OCN drama coming up, hopefully he will get invited to more variety shows to promote the drama. Soo Young is popular with SNSD and those girls are variety show staples, so hopefully that will help to get them on more of those shows to promote Call It Like You See It!

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Agree! His acting has reached a new level. I didn't find his pre military drama (acting) great. I only watched SOBG and bit of Windstruck. Improved alot in Thank You. I feel that his acting in MF is already 1 level up. And now this. 

His pre-military projects were not that good to begin with and seems like in his era senior actors were not too encouraging/nice towards the newbies. When he finally managed to get a good script, he embroiled himself in that scandal. 

Whatever it seems like he was determined to prove his worth through his work that's why there was considerable improvement in his acting ability. It's not like most of actors of his generation were that good since the beginning. He was on almost same level as them. Not to mention after completion of conscription he also became physically attractive. I didn't find pre-military Hyukie sexy infact my first introduction to him was through the movie Windstruck and 2nd through Thank You. I didn't even realise that they were actually same person. Although from time to time I cringe at his project choice but he still managed to win myself back several time.lols

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, nyk said:

Although YBW role is very successful, I will still feel against if he will take supporting role in the future. His screen time in MC is not enough for me. 

But supporting role has its benefit. this is my opinion but I think one thing contributed to how JH can perfectly deliver every scene in MC with details because he has time to analyze and he has time to rest.  Let's say he can utilize all his skills for 3-5 scenes comparing to other dramas which he has to do with 20 scenes. it can be drained at some point. 

But after watching MC, I am craving fore more of his emotional scenes. I hope he has wide range of emotions in his next OCN drama. He's too good in MC. 

I agree with all of this. I too want him in lead because I just want more screen time and recognition for him haha. 

BUT, it's true that being the supporting senior actor gives him less pressure. He doesn't have to carry the show, and honestly being the lead there is the burden of "carrying" the show. Maybe sometimes he just wants to be able to focus on acting what he likes and go into details like you said, while having enough time for his family and his personal hobbies. Whatever it is, I just am happy he is sharing his wonderful acting with us and not taking long breaks like how some actors do. 

I don't know, I'm torn. Some actors do a drama/project every 2-3 years, but they get fairly good leading roles, while JH does 1-2 projects every year but some projects are amazing and some are misses. I can't decide which is better LOL. Anyway, we should stop over-analyzing and just be grateful he wants to act for a long time, and is still taking one role after another. Only 3 more months till his next lead role!!! :wub: Even if that role won't be as great as LBW (it's hard to top LBW for now), I'm just happy he's coming back to our screens soon. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Didn't he say he actually has a phobia of water since the filming of Windstruck? If I'm not mistaken he said that they had a scene in the water in which he almost drowned. 

I think this is the BTS of it. You can see the girl screaming out of panic in the beginning. JH is quiet, but I think this was really traumatizing to him. Also- notice that the girl is actually massaging his chest! I'm quite certain that's dangerous. This entire clip is horrifying...

His phobia of water started on Volcano High, from what I heard. There was a scene that involved wires and water. The director (also the director of Thorn) was really tough on JH. This is the only time I know, JH actually complained about a director’s toughness. Anyway, the scene was hard and JH fainted a couple of times and almost drowned (I don’t remember the details not can I pinpoint the scene) It was said that this time, his family actually worried about his career. He had a hard time filming that movie. And it seems that he wanted to try to work again with this tough director on Thorn (As we have seen, he loves second chances) but they once again couldn’t agree on many things, although the situation was very different given that JH was already an established actor. There were scenes that were filmed twice, director’s way and JHs way, but in the end, the director always used his scenes, lol not a very flexible dude, apparently. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

35 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

He is definitely still evolving as an actor, and that is beautiful to watch. I feel like he is favoring a more self-restrained characterization lately. I was horrified by his acting in The Merchant (I would take that award away from him lol) and some scenes in Voice. I do not appreciate it when he goes unnecessarily OTT, but he hasn’t done it lately and I hope he keeps like this (please, please, pleeease) Despite drama results, his acting in WOL and Bad Papa was delicate and almost perfect imo. And I’m absolutely feverish with love and lust for LBW in My Country! TOO SEXY! 

Great observation. If that is what he’s thinking I’m all for it! And yes sexy is the word to describe YBW and Pil Joo hehe. Hopefully Oh Hyun Jae is too :grimace:

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

His phobia of water started on Volcano High, from what I heard. There was a scene that involved wires and water. The director (also the director of Thorn) was really tough on JH. This is the only time I know, JH actually complained about a director’s toughness. Anyway, the scene was hard and JH fainted a couple of times and almost drowned (I don’t remember the details not can I pinpoint the scene) It was said that this time, his family actually worried about his career. He had a hard time filming that movie. And it seems that he wanted to try to work again with this tough director on Thorn (As we have seen, he loves second chances) but they once again couldn’t agree on many things, although the situation was very different given that JH was already an established actor. There were scenes that were filmed twice, director’s way and JHs way, but in the end, the director always used his scenes, lol not a very flexible dude, apparently. 

I did hear that he fainted because of the wires in Volcano High, but I do think he said he almost drowned on Windstruck... I may be confusing things...

I can't imagine in how much pain and how exhausted he needed to be in order to faint... So irresponsible on the side of the director! And JH wanted to work with him again?! 

It's interesting to hear JH didn't agree with the director of Thorn. It's even more interesting that JH was forceful enough to have his version of the scenes filmed. it's funny cause we were just having a discussion on exactly how agreeable JH is on set... :) 

I didn't like Thorn, so I wonder if the "JH" cut of the movie would be better. I would like to see that...

Was this written in article about the movie? Do you have the link to it?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

His pre-military projects were not that good to begin with and seems like in his era senior actors were not too encouraging/nice towards the newbies. When he finally managed to get a good script, he embroiled himself in that scandal. 

Whatever it seems like he was determined to prove his worth through his work that's why there was considerable improvement in his acting ability. It's not like most of actors of his generation were that good since the beginning. He was on almost same level as them. Not to mention after completion of conscription he also became physically attractive. I didn't find pre-military Hyukie sexy infact my first introduction to him was through the movie Windstruck and 2nd through Thank You. I didn't even realise that they were actually same person. Although from time to time I cringe at his project choice but he still managed to win myself back several time.lols

I actually can't bring myself to watch anything he did before his military service. He was so goofy and strange looking back then- I don't know why, but in some of his pictures from back then he kinda reminded me of a troll doll :) 

Acting wise, It's like he was a completely different actor. I know it was a very difficult time for him, but seeing who he is now, it seems like that scandal was the best thing that ever happened to him. He himself said that before the army he was on his way to becoming someone he didn't like. Not many actors get a reality check like he got...

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

I find his acting in MF even more nuanced than BM. :D

I don't know if it was more nuanced, but for sure it was more striking. Mind boggling! Although I didn't actually like MF that much, I thought JH performance was so controlled and intense, that at certain point while watching, I literally grabbed my head in disbelief- I've never seen such a performance! That made me look for more information about him, which made me find Dragon Club :lol: imagine my shock at seeing who JH really is. And I've been a fan ever since...

• Like 4

@Biology Lesson I thought he was cute in Windstruck but I agree that he didn’t have the best look, pre military service (especially the TJ blond hair) he did not look great in SSBG and I didn’t love his acting when he shouted, but there were in contrast so many cute moments where he even managed to look cute (despite the red-ish hair) The only pre-military work of his that I love is Great Ambition/Daemang. His character is so soft and beautiful, a shy dude, which he hasn’t played again. His performance was very natural there, taking in consideration he wasn’t as experienced as he is today. Of course, its an old drama so it won’t be fast paced but I enjoyed it very much. I also thought he looked cute but so baby in Into the Sunlight. 

About Volcano High/Thorn director, I heard about JH differences with the director from a korean friend who had conversation with JHs manager at the time. JH did express his feelings publicly about this director during Volcano High but not during Thorn. I think he was more candid about such things when he was younger. 

This is a blog post my friend wrote, where you will see the difference between JHs view and the director’s view. JH wanted to portray character showing more feelings, as controversial as they were, but they existed. This movie was based on a scenario that won a contest, my friend actually read the scenario. JH wanted to play “that” character. The director purposely wanted the character to be more “neutral” and leaves things to audience interpretation.

https://stuckonhyuk.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/thorninnocent-thing-stream-of-consciousness-review/

The director was considerate enough to let JH do takes “his way” but in the end, didn’t include any. JH was disappointed about that but not too much, he already knew this director is a tough cookie. The only comment JH made to his fans that indicated his “feeling” was something like “Im not sure people will understand this character, but I hope they do” he had expressed concern about people’s perception of his character with Midas (there was virtually no time to rehearse or learn lines, sometimes actors used post it notes on another actor head to read their lines) and Ddolbock in TWDR, in which case he blamed himself for feeling a bit confused with his character (I love Ddolbock though, he moved me so much) 

Edited by dramafan33
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I thought he was cute in Windstruck but I agree that he didn’t have the best look, pre military service (especially the TJ blond hair) he did not look great in SSBG and I didn’t love his acting when he shouted, but there were in contrast so many cute moments where he even managed to look cute (despite the red-ish hair) The only pre-military work of his that I love is Great Ambition/Daemang. His character is so soft and beautiful, a shy dude, which he hasn’t played again. His performance was very natural there, taking in consideration he wasn’t as experienced as he is today. Of course, its an old drama so it won’t be fast paced but I enjoyed it very much. I also thought he looked cute but so baby in Into the Sunlight. 

About Volcano High/Thorn director, I heard about JH differences with the director from a korean friend who had conversation with JHs manager at the time. JH did express his feelings publicly about this director during Volcano High but not during Thorn. I think he was more candid about such things when he was younger. 

This is a blog post my friend wrote, where you will see the difference between JHs view and the director’s view. JH wanted to portray character showing more feelings, as controversial as they were, but they existed. This movie was based on a scenario that won a contest, my friend actually read the scenario. JH wanted to play “that” character. The director purposely wanted the character to be more “neutral” and leaves things to audience interpretation.

https://stuckonhyuk.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/thorninnocent-thing-stream-of-consciousness-review/

The director was considerate enough to let JH do takes “his way” but in the end, didn’t include any. JH was disappointed about that but not too much, he already knew this director is a tough cookie. The only comment JH made to his fans that indicated his “feeling” was something like “Im not sure people will understand this character, but I hope they do” he had expressed concern about people’s perception of his character with Midas (there was virtually no time to rehearse or learn lines, sometimes actors used post it notes on another actor head to read their lines) and Ddolbock in TWDR, in which case he blamed himself for feeling a bit confused with his character (I love Ddolbock though, he moved me so much) 

Sounds like JH had the right idea and seems like the director was more concerned about looking "artistic" than telling a coherent story... When watching the movie I didn't see the point to it- why should I care about any of these characters? I hope JH learned his lesson and will stay as far as he can from this director.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

However I doubt he will get anything for My Country. I don’t think a jtbc drama has ever won anything but I could be wrong. Also, ratings are decent for the channel but not extraordinary. And yes I loved Lee Young Oh, but what he did with Piljoo was a masterpiece.

In the last Baeksang awards,  Sky Castle and Dazzling (both JTBC dramas) won many awards, including the Daesang, Best director, Best actress, Best supporting etc. But then Sky Castle had ratings more than 20% and Dazzling's winner is a 70yo actress. But I am still hopeful MC can win something this time.

9 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

I don't know, I'm torn. Some actors do a drama/project every 2-3 years, but they get fairly good leading roles, while JH does 1-2 projects every year but some projects are amazing and some are misses. I can't decide which is better LOL. Anyway, we should stop over-analyzing and just be grateful he wants to act for a long time, and is still taking one role after another. Only 3 more months till his next lead role!!! :wub: Even if that role won't be as great as LBW (it's hard to top LBW for now), I'm just happy he's coming back to our screens soon. 

Yeah, if JH wants to do 1-2 projects every year, I am doubtful there will be so many lead roles for him, especially at his age now. That's why I am anticipating more supporting roles from him, which is ok for me as long he take on lead roles in between too haha..

Hopefully not his private life, I just hope he goes on a few interviews or some variety shows! It's been so long he's on one, compared to when he used to go on so many last time, this feels super long?? With his new OCN drama coming up, hopefully he will get invited to more variety shows to promote the drama. Soo Young is popular with SNSD and those girls are variety show staples, so hopefully that will help to get them on more of those shows to promote Call It Like You See It!

Does OCN has variety shows which actors can go on to promote their dramas?

Btw if anyone has anyone to say about the new OCN drama, (link below),  do feel free to post in the drama thread, it is kind of quiet there :P 

https://forums.soompi.com/topic/438713-upcoming-drama-2020-call-it-like-you-see-it-본대로-말하라-jang-hyuk-sooyoung-jin-seo-yeon-premieres-in-february-2020/

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nyk said:

In DB, Jongkook asked him how he managed to cry and JH answered that he bite his tongue. lol I think he's just joking and maybe didn't want to give long explanation. :D

Obviously joking. If you can bite your tongue until you cry, that would be a big bite. We just need to accidentally bite our tongue a bit and it hurts crazy already. If he bites till he cries probably won't be able to eat for days and kiss for a long time too. :D

lol I almost got annoyed. Hwi was too slow to draw his sword. I was like " KILL HIM ALREADY!!" 

I feel the same each time Seon Ho put a sword at his father neck. Haiz! Slash it! You don't keep on giving warning to the person you want to kill. 

9 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Didn't he say he actually has a phobia of water since the filming of Windstruck?

The director is so impatient and cranky! Really pity him and the actress. I would fall sick myself having to go into the water so many times! 

Haha I do love and felt his acting in MF was super though! But I can't compare it with BM yet as I have not watched it, will share more when I watch it after MC ends :P 

MF was showing a different side of JH after FTLY. Shows how versatile he is. Can be noisy, can be composed. And you don't see a trace of Li Gun in Pil Joo. Is a total new person. Unlike some actors, you can still see traces of his previous role in current role. 

I love Young Oh after Pil Joo. I guess I like him in roles which are mature, composed and not noisy. :expressionless:In SOGC, there was still some resemblance of Li Gun in the way he laughed and acted funny or acted cute. 

I’m not going to argue that My Country is “not bad” because what’s the point? Its a matter of taste.

We are all here like a buffet. With different likes and dislikes, different taste buds which makes this discussion even more interesting. :yum:

Speaking of awards, supporting characters can get Daesang. In fact, even though Jang Hyuk absolutely deserved Daesang for his portrayal of Piljoo in Money Flower, the award was given to a veteran actor who had a supporting role in Rebel. He was good, but not better than Piljoo by any means and I thought it was totally unfair because that actor didn’t carry the drama like Jang Hyuk did in Money Flower.

Sigh! This award thing was and is never fair to begin with. What is their criteria? I guess not just acting alone.

He got best couple award with Han Chae Ah in The Merchant, but I didn't find they had chemistry. But again it is audience taste. I don't know how it is being chosen. I would prefer he had gotten an award for Young Oh. I know he had an award for Bad Papa but it wasn't the award he rec'd for Pil Joo right? He played Ji Cheol very well and I want to strangle the writer for letting him die! I cried so much!!!!!!!!! :bawling: 

I think I watched snippets but not the whole show. Only watched the part where they went into the sea and JH tried to stand on the canoe. I shall watch the whole show again!

And the part when Ki Sub and JH looked at the topless lady with their sunglass on! That was hilarious for me! Lucky they had sunglass on! :glasses:

I just hope he goes on a few interviews or some variety shows! It's been so long he's on one, compared to when he used to go on so many last time, this feels super long??

He was too active in 2018. MF to WOL to BPP to Alaska fishing to the Grand Canyon and what else I cannot remember. He is quiet in 2019. Perhaps like what he said in his fan meeting in Japan, he wants to spend time with his family. 

9 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

Yup. When I watched SOBG and bit of Windstruck, I didn't find him handsome for a start. His acting was so-so only. His acting picked up in Thank You. But unfortunately after that, I didn't like some of his projects like Tazza, Searching for the Elephant, Robbers. Rabbit and Lizard was quite alright for me. 

8 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I didn't like Thorn, so I wonder if the "JH" cut of the movie would be better. I would like to see that...

Was this written in article about the movie? Do you have the link to it?

Thorn was a confusing movie if watching the 1st time for me. I can understand the student obsession with her teacher. Who wouldn't? With such a handsome and hot teacher walking around the school....what I don't understand is did teacher love her or was it just temptation on his part? 

JH mentioned that he was not agreeable to removing his pants but after discussion with the Director, he agreed for the good of the drama or for the need of the drama. Honestly, I don't see how removing one's pants is for the good of the drama. Fans these days are not ignorant. :joy:And the sex scene in which student was fantasizing was.....do you think that was sexy? Half the time I was thinking how Hyuk had to put up with this ordeal because he didn't want to remove his pants in the 1st place. 

8 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

seems like that scandal was the best thing that ever happened to him. He himself said that before the army he was on his way to becoming someone he didn't like. Not many actors get a reality check like he got...

Yup. The scandal turned out to be a blessing instead. I believe if he hadn't gone through the scandal and everything was smooth sailing, he will turned out to be NOT the JH we all love so much now. Because he might feel all that glitters is gold. 

However, after the scandal and the reality check in the military, he realised all that glitters is not gold. One minute he can be standing on a pedestal, next minute infront of a TV with news of his scandal. One minute audience worship him, next minute blasting him. 

Through it all, he turned out to be the person he is today! The one whom we all love. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Hopefully not his private life,

I heard a taiwanese celebrity mentioned in an interview that the media/reporters today are different from yester years. Last time they only report on your work. Now, they report on your personal life. 

In a scene in FIC, JH mentioned that he felt good being able to walk freely and casually. He said he can't do that now in Korea. I am sure he can't. People will recognise him instantly and what more if he is walking leisurely with his family. No wonder they have to go on trips. 

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

In the last Baeksang awards,  Sky Castle and Dazzling (both JTBC dramas) won many awards, including the Daesang, Best director, Best actress, Best supporting etc. But then Sky Castle had ratings more than 20% and Dazzling's winner is a 70yo actress. But I am still hopeful MC can win something this time.

Just like in BM and Doctor. The leads in Doctor got awards. I didn't watch so I don't know the story but I read comments that many preferred the lead actress in Doctor. I guess the drama also had some romance which K audience probably like. 

Yeah, if JH wants to do 1-2 projects every year, I am doubtful there will be so many lead roles for him, especially at his age now. That's why I am anticipating more supporting roles from him, which is ok for me as long he take on lead roles in between too haha..

I don't think he will only do 1-2 proj a year. For someone who wants to act for a long time, he cannot be out of sight for too long. Out of sight, out of mind of the Directors too. So many newbie coming out every year. He cannot afford to not be in the loop for Directors to look for him. 

Probably his way of cutting down is to cut down lead roles and cut down filming time. Maybe more supporting roles compared to lead roles in terms of ratio. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Prettysup Wow! Those are impressive ratings for Sky Castle, no idea it was JTBC. Well, hopefully JH gets some kind of recognition for his splendid interpretation of Lee Bang Won

Yeah Sky Castle was phenomenal, it started at 1+% and ended 20+%,  and is now the highest rated K-drama on cable TV. But how frequent do we encounter such a drama? Haha..

39 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Sigh! This award thing was and is never fair to begin with. What is their criteria? I guess not just acting alone.

He got best couple award with Han Chae Ah in The Merchant, but I didn't find they had chemistry. But again it is audience taste. I don't know how it is being chosen. I would prefer he had gotten an award for Young Oh. I know he had an award for Bad Papa but it wasn't the award he rec'd for Pil Joo right? He played Ji Cheol very well and I want to strangle the writer for letting him die! I cried so much!!!!!!!!! :bawling: 

He got the Grimae award for Bad Papa, which was quite unexpected given its ratings. For Pil-joo, he got the MBC Top excellence award for weekend dramas. Pil-joo was also nominated for the Baeksang and APAN best actor awards but didn't win either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unlike others, I love him in his pre-military project. After SSOB I'm digging Volcano High. He's acting there maybe not a Daesang worthy but in a certain scene he show his nuance that we love this day. SSOB may have a big fashion miss and bad hair but if you watch some scene there's totally Hyukness there and it's blooming nowadays. One particular scene is when he had to kneel to Ryu Soo Young character, there's much emotion that he master there. oh. and he already start his eye acting at that time. i love the silliness of Volcano High. lol. But, I hate JJH character in windstruck. Maybe it's just the fangirl in me who doesn't love him got beaten and bully there. lol. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

23 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Yeah Sky Castle was phenomenal, it started at 1+% and ended 20+%,  and is now the highest rated K-drama on cable TV. But how frequent do we encounter such a drama? Haha..

Sorry I am not only a computer tortoise, a math tortoise as well. What does the % means? If you say 20% ratings, what does it mean? 

23 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

He got the Grimae award for Bad Papa, which was quite unexpected given its ratings. For Pil-joo, he got the MBC Top excellence award for weekend dramas. Pil-joo was also nominated for the Baeksang and APAN best actor awards but didn't win either.

What is bad papa rating? So is it for his recent drama, FTLY got the highest rating? It's confusing with so many award names. Grimae, Baeksang, Daeksang, Apan....I am totally confused. :sweat_smile:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Sorry I am not only a computer tortoise, a math tortoise as well. What does the % means? If you say 20% ratings, what does it mean? 

What is bad papa rating? So is it for his recent drama, FTLY got the highest rating? It's confusing with so many award names. Grimae, Baeksang, Daeksang, Apan....I am totally confused. :sweat_smile:

I am not too sure how they calculate viewers ratings in Korea, but typically ratings are considered very good if you can exceed 10% on free TV (SBS.KBS,MBC) and 5% on cable TV (TVN, JTBC, OCN etc). But ratings nowadays are generally lower than before

If you are interested in the ratings and awards, there is always wikipedia available. Tons of info there, just go and read. And no, the highest rating among his recent dramas will be MF, followed by SOGC and Gaekju.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1