4 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

He could only watch when others get to eat during the Busan trip. Now his turn ..he's like a big kid..hahaha!

I was watching some of the BTS of MF, it seems like being like a big kid is like a default for him. I think it's his way to mitigate his excessive seriousness... 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

37 minutes ago, corey said:

Whaa, new pictures from the Swordsman! So I am back from binge-watching another couple of dramas just in time.

And @dramafan33, is this supposed to be the JH's look that the fans thought ugly??? Maybe my taste is weird, then, but I love it, with the unkempt hair and all. IDK why, but this hair somehow makes his features sharper and more defined. So I totally love it! :wub:

My guess that this look is intentional by JH. He's probably not trying to look good... But, like you, I also think he looks kinda hot in this look, so the joke's on him! HA! :)

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

To me the only times JH looked completely unappealing was in Iris 2 and The Merchant and to a certain extent Voice (but he had moments there) In my case, its possible that Ill get used to any of his “looks” if I like the character so not coincidentally I find the three characters of his that I found meh are the ones less physically attractive to me. I find he did look too weird on first eps of FTLY (too much makeup and too defined, thick eyebrows) and SOGC at first, the foundation was too strange, unflattering, he looked somewhat older and bad lighting) but his look improved in later episodes in both dramas to the point of looking beautiful. He also didn’t look his best in Tree with deep roots, but he also had good moments, some angles and lighting showed the handsomeness. Natural light was the most flattering) In Robbers he also looked not super great to me during first eps but later I love him. Thank You, had good moments, Tazza (terrible haircut throughout). So yeah I find he “can” look objectively unattractive. Only dramas where I found him mesmerizing from beginning to end have been Money Flower, My Country and Tell me what you saw. And I found him cute in Beautiful Mind and Wok of love. 

Anyway, I miss himmmm and I dont care if he looks hot or cute at this point. I just want him to come back! And I hope I can love this new character of his. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

@corey I don’t think its strange. Its very normal and common. There are too many factors to making a person look good on film and viceversa. Jang Hyuk is a man with aesthetic features (his beautiful nose is particularly special). He is handsome but I think his attractiveness derives from other factors as well. His personality, the expressiveness of his eyes, his smile, etc. But he is human and even you or me have good days and bad days when it comes to looks. Maybe you ate something that made you swollen, maybe you didn’t sleep, maybe you are sick etcetcetc it will all affect your appearance and how people perceive you. Maybe that particular day they visited him, he wasn’t looking his best. Gumi said it was the only time ever his “angelic aura” couldn’t overcome the bad look, and thats why they weren’t star struck and could confidently talk to him and dared to even question his decision to do Money Flower. He also did not look as great in SOGC as he allegedly looked in person. In that case, I blame the poor lighting in the indoor scenes. But in person he looked amazing while filming that drama, according to the fans who visited him. This is actually even noticeable if you compare behind the scenes footage to the actual drama. 

To this point, yesterday I was watching a youtuber who said exactly this. One day he bleached his hair and in person he looked horrible. He was embarrassed to shoot a video. He would cover his head when going out. But when he finally shot a video, the lighting made him look stunning. Everyone praised him that day. It happens. 

I also don’t agree that JH “uglifies” himself. In my opinion he only wants to look like the character. Everyday JH is not glamorized either. He dresses pretty average and sometimes even raggedy. I think he knows he is handsome but its not like he relies on that for anything, only maybe when his character is supposed to be handsome if he ever plays such a role. But none of his characters are “the handsome guy”. Rarely do they even mention his looks. I only remember other characters making comments about his handsomeness in Thank You. And he comically praised himself in Robber. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Wow! He looked so pretty after Chuno. Kind of a shame they wasted his beauty in that chinese drama that wasn’t so good. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDqwXv0lj-l/?igshid=1ghnu3rtrbga7

That hair is the worst, worse than in iris2 or wol or any bowl or crazy hair he has ever had. Actually, the short crop in iris2 accentuated his very fine features, but I must say his brows looked weird in the beginning but slowly I got used to it as the drama progressed. But the hair in Eve, :scream: Who in the right mind would style that kind of hair!? :cries3:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Gumi says he did look terrible in person but liked the photos, so she hopes he will look good in film

I think he also posted a selfie that wasn't too flattering. I have a feeling they put on the kind of makeup to make him appear darker and for his skin to look rougher.  This was filmed during 2017 (ordinary person, voice) I remembered he was really fair at that time.

But I agree that the movie pics looked better.

Here's the selfie he took at that time.

Screenshot-20200810-100302-Instagram.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Anyway, I miss himmmm and I dont care if he looks hot or cute at this point. I just want him to come back! And I hope I can love this new character of his. 

Yeah miss him so much. I guess we are just not used to him being on hiatus for so long when in actual fact this is the norm for most other K-actors haha.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ding77 said:

That hair is the worst, worse than in iris2 or wol or any bowl or crazy hair he has ever had. Actually, the short crop in iris2 accentuated his very fine features, but I must say his brows looked weird in the beginning but slowly I got used to it as the drama progressed. But the hair in Eve, :scream: Who in the right mind would style that kind of hair!? :cries3:

I am with you! :) horrible hair in that show. I said it before that one thing I dislike is when his hair is overly designed. Makes him look feminine.... ugh! Like you I also found the hair cut in IrisII strangely appealing. I thought it made him look very different, very tough and masculine 

Jang Hyuk attends the KBS2 Drama 'IRIS 2' Press Conference at the...

32 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

I think he also posted a selfie that wasn't too flattering. I have a feeling they put on the kind of makeup to make him appear darker and for his skin to look rougher.  This was filmed during 2017 (ordinary person, voice) I remembered he was really fair at that time.

But I agree that the movie pics looked better.

Here's the selfie he took at that time.

JH said several times that his looks prevented him from getting roles. And he has on several occasions gone for a look that was rougher for a role. Hell, even his look in Chuno was clearly designed to make him look rougher. How many of you said that they first didn't think he was handsome in Chuno as he was so grimey?

Also, in BM he clearly went for a less attractive hair cut. There was a reason why in the press conference he wore his hair differently... JH does whatever he needs for the role. Looking attractive, as much as he jokes about it, is sometimes a burden for him as an actor.

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson I disagree but I guess its not that important. I just don’t recall him ever saying his attractiveness prevented him getting any roles he was interested in. I personally found him attractive in Chuno right away but I had already found him attractive in the middle of TWDR so the idea of him being handsome was already in my head. But my point is, its completely irrelevant wether Daegil is “pretty” or “handsome”, its not part of the role. It is probably just enough that he is manly and sells the rough image. Also, attractiveness, imo, is something that a) goes beyond aesthetic features b) It truly is in the eye of the beholder. I find Jang Hyuk to be very handsome but even hotter than handsome. But there are those who don’t find him handsome at all and still are attracted. And of course those who simply are not attracted. So why go through lengths to “uglify” yourself? Its most important to simply fit the role. 

P.S He looks good in the picture you posted. But his eyebrows looked thin in the drama. And that wasn’t as flattering or “masculine” imo. 

Anyway, I know many here actually liked Iris 2 and I respect that (like many also respect that I gush over FTLY etc even if its not your favorite) but eek this drama gives me PTSD. Even stronger than Voice. I really can’t stand it. So I go on automatic bashing mode but I will shut up now :ph34r:

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I disagree but I guess its not that important. I just don’t recall him ever saying his attractiveness prevented him getting any roles he was interested in. I personally found him attractive in Chuno right away but I had already found him attractive in the middle of TWDR so the idea of him being handsome was already in my head. But my point is, its completely irrelevant wether Daegil is “pretty” or “handsome”, its not part of the role. It is probably just enough that he is manly and sells the rough image. Also, attractiveness, imo, is something that a) goes beyond aesthetic features b) It truly is in the eye of the beholder. I find Jang Hyuk to be very handsome but even hotter than handsome. But there are those who don’t find him handsome at all and still are attracted. And of course those who simply are not attracted. So why go through lengths to “uglify” yourself? Its most important to simply fit the role. 

He clearly said it in one of his interviews. Personal taste is personal taste, but JH said that his face limited the range of roles he was offered. For an actor that doesn't go for rom coms, and clearly is interested in roles that are more complex, being "pretty" is a problem, as he won't be offered roles of an "ordinary" person. He also clearly uglified himself in Bad papa, and for WOL (this was very clear as his initial look was very good looking and suddenly he changed his hair to a less attractive cut) and I also suspect that for all his goofier roles before the army, he went for a less attractive look, as his initial look in Model was very pretty

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

Yeah miss him so much. I guess we are just not used to him being on hiatus for so long when in actual fact this is the norm for most other K-actors haha.

Yes... it's been almost half a year and no news of his new project was mentioned yet.  :tears: Luckily he appeared as guests in 2 shows. 

47 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@azureblue7 True! Remember that makeup they put on the actress who played the team leader in Tell me what you saw? She mentioned it was the typical makeup they put on men to make them look more rugged, tough. It’s like they literally throw dirt on their faces :P

Oh yes! I think in Voice, they did the same to him too. He looked more rugged in that drama than any others. I guess he had to look the role. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

He clearly said it in one of his interviews. Personal taste is personal taste, but JH said that his face limited the range of roles he was offered. For an actor that doesn't go for rom coms, and clearly is interested in roles that are more complex, being "pretty" is a problem, as he won't be offered roles of an "ordinary" person. He also clearly uglified himself in Bad papa, and for WOL (this was very clear as his initial look was very good looking and suddenly he changed his hair to a less attractive cut) and I also suspect that for all his goofier roles before the army, he went for a less attractive look, as his initial look in Model was very pretty

It is definitely personal taste. He looks eccentric in Beautiful Mind and quirky in WOL. That is what I think they were going for. He wasn’t playing “ugly” guys, just “odd” guys. And he certainly didn’t look ugly to me. Anyway, you have a theory that others may agree or disagree with. I don’t find it convincing but if JH himself confirms this one day, thats ok too. Not the first time I’ll be wrong :idk:

• Like 5

Yeah!! He will show them more boxing tips tonight before the showdown! Glad we get  to see him train with the tap ball. And as expected, the members tried to sway his determination to win using the fact that his son is learning soccer from Ahn Jung Hwan. Not fair!  I wonder if that was also part of the reason why he agreed to appear on the show.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2