@Biology Lesson FCC rules are strict (and sometimes seemingly arbitrary) in the US too, which is why companies have Standard and Practices departments (Im telling you because I work with these people) The difference is many of those rules don’t apply to cable and streaming services or they are much more relaxed for cable and paid subscriber models (the idea behind it is, its up to the individual if they pay for the service and or voluntarily go to a movie theater if they encounter sensitive material, however open free TV, poses an imposition to the viewer, and especially children. Also remember this all has to do with advertisers who may or may not want their brands associated with “sensitive” content. Paid for cable does not rely on Ad revenue so they have more freedom) 

The one difference I do see with SK is they seem to have the same rules for open air and cable and of course some stricter rules that force them to blur knives (which I don’t quite get) But I’m only guessing. Maybe one day someone with more insight in the industry will enlighten us. 

I also agree that JH might be open to playing a gay character. He does not seem to have issues with that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@phoenix24 Is that poll going to result in something? (as in, is it for an award?) or just a fan made poll? I see a lot of people really invested on it to the point of thinking up strategies to get him higher up and I don’t get it. I guess it’s the quarantine boredom (?) :P I don’t love the concept of downvoting others either. 

Good question, not sure.  I think I was just happy to see oppa getting more recognition.  I spot it first in thailand fanclub, but notice it in taiwan fanclub as well and a lot of vietnamese groups seem to know about kingchoice.me.  None of it was too clear so like you say maybe covid boredom.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

though I could do without the idiotic street plays... 

Street plays to koreans are like performing arts. We may not understand what it is but it's their culture/history.

6 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I think you again dismiss the difference between mediums. Open network TV has its own rules and that is a fact worldwide. 

I agree with you.

When I was in HK/Taiwan, their tv programme were quite tame. But they also have the "pay" segment, if you pay, you get to watch the uncensored ones. Truly uncensored ones. But these definitely they cannot broadcast on normal TV programme.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Street plays to koreans are like performing arts. We may not understand what it is but it's their culture/history.

Oh wait, I was supposed to appreciate as "performing arts" an actor simulating a woman defecating on the street, or a man simulating a guy holding his junk and peeing all over the street? Not to mention a guy pretending to be a woman, simulating her exposing her genitals all the time and doing sexual acts on a another guy. I should respect that as "korean culture"? Maybe you guys should watch the movie and the street plays in it before you tell me I need to appreciate what I saw in it as "art"... 

There was one street play in the movie that I liked which described what happened to king's mother. All the rest were crude and disgusting...

I agree with you.

When I was in HK/Taiwan, their tv programme were quite tame. But they also have the "pay" segment, if you pay, you get to watch the uncensored ones. Truly uncensored ones. But these definitely they cannot broadcast on normal TV programme.

I am not talking about sexual acts. There is a difference between sexual acts and sexuality. What you are referring to is changes in explicitness of the shows, I'm talking about how in Kdramas you have woman behaving like 10 years oldsin terms of sexuality, while in korean movies seeing the same women behaving as sexual aggressors that will have sex with a guy within a few minutes of meeting him, and then being told that both have to do with Korean culture. To me it's clear the issue here is the censorship in Korean TV and their overreach. 

@Biology Lesson Stop looking at korea with the eyes with your own culture. You are judging their culture based on yours.

You need to have neutral eyes when appreciating  diff cultures, societys with diff historys.

Art dont need to be "beautiful" or "moraly correct" , art need to provoke a emotion and discussion. 

They are using a exaggerated parody do mock a dominant class , using a language that would entertain and shock the ones that dont have any education, the poor, the slaves in korea.The miserable class thats the public of the acts. 

Because they are a conservative and patriarchal, woman needs to be "virginal" ( even if its not true, they need to fake it, fake it for the husband/boyfriend, fake for their parents, fake it for the whole society). A lot of woman in korea acts as a needy person in the looks of a foreigner, the dramas take that and exaggerate even more making them even more innocent, someone that never had a boyfriend. Its their society.  A lot of Asian countries act like woman dont like sex and she its a "richard simmons" if she likes.These are one of the motives for the lack of sexy scenes.  Is an extremely sexist society

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

34 minutes ago, HollyC said:

@Biology Lesson Stop looking at korea with the eyes with your own culture. You are judging their culture based on yours.

You need to have neutral eyes when appreciating  diff cultures, societys with diff historys.

I'm sorry, but to look at art, I need the exact opposite to neutral eyes. Art is all in the eyes of the beholder. One person can present a toilet and call it art, and another can look at it and say it's just a toilet. That's the whole point of art- it's a subjective thing. Also- so if I'm not supposed to judge art- should all art critics quit their jobs? Or Cinema and theater critics? Every movie, every play is art so shouldn't be judged...Or maybe critics need to be from the same country in which the art was produced in order for them to be able to judge it? So maybe I should never judge Kdramas since I'm not Korean, and conclude that all Kdramas are good?! :blink: OK... I think I we won't agree about this...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I'm sorry, but to look at art, I need the exact opposite to neutral eyes. Art is all in the eyes of the beholder. One person can present a toilet and call it art, and another can look at it and say it's just a toilet. That's the whole point of art- it's a subjective thing. Also- so if I'm not supposed to judge art- should all art critics quit their jobs? Or Cinema and theater critics? Every movie, every play is art so shouldn't be judged...Or maybe critics need to be from the same country in which the art was produced in order for them to be able to judge it? :blink: OK... I think I we won't agree about this...

Yes, art needs to be criticized but it cant be done blindly. You need to know who is the artist, which is the historical moment, what is happening in the society that moment, for what he says he did that or he just made that way?, after that you put your own opinion: its art or its just to sell or publicity? or both?

My point its: you need to think why they are making that way, to whom this is directed, whats its their objective

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Oh wait, I was supposed to appreciate as "performing arts"

I have no knowledge about k culture/history so I can't say why they're performing the way they did. All I'm saying is street plays is like performing arts to the koreans. But why they're performing the way they did, we have to go back to their history.

To me it's clear the issue here is the censorship in Korean TV and their overreach. 

Definitely. I think every country has that (only to what extent).

45 minutes ago, corey said:

Out of curiosity , yesterday I tried to watch the first ep of the new Ji Chang Wook drama and they blurred.... cigarettes! Cigarettes which the high-school students (girls) wanted to smoke but never got round to - they were holding unlighted cigarettes which got blurred. It was ok to show the pack of cigarettes, though. In one show they blurred plastic restrains around the ankles of a kidnapped child. I admit I also do not get the idea behind blurring such things...

I guess there will be many things we'll never understand unless we ourselves work in the TV station or we ourselves involved in the censorship ourselves. It's the profession of those people to do what's acceptable in their country.

Yes, we have discussed this curious "dichotomy" a few times already. However, I would like to emphasise that I am not judging. I am really, really curious about it and want to understand it. Why? Why the Korean TV likes to promote asexual passive females? Is it only because those TV shows must be watched by both grandmothers and grandchildres and be inoffensive to both? OK, I would buy such an explanation. But here I will express mu jugdement - that such a strategy is not a wise one if one wants to imprint in those little girls other character values than to be passive and submissive...

In general, I'm talking about in general, asians are more conservative compared to the western countries. From generations to generations, example : girls are brought up to be submissive. She's supposed to be "pure" to be "unknowledgeable" about the sexual world. Sexual activities is only reserved for her husband. IDK if this explanation is ok with you @coreybut in general, girls in asian countries are brought up more conservatively compared to girls in the western countries.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

But here I will express mu jugdement - that such a strategy is not a wise one if one wants to imprint in those little girls other character values than to be passive and submissive...

Whether it's wise or it's not wise, every household has it's own rules. We can't say that it's wrong or it's right. Example : having a baby out of wedlock. It's accepted in some countries while in other country, it's not so accepted. But we can't say who is right or who is wrong. It's just different country/culture. :neutral:

And since we're (all) international fans here, let's not "argue" sensitive issues like culture/history because we'll never see eye-to-eye in this matter because we happened to be born in a different country from each other. :D

• Like 6

Well, now that we agreed not to agree, on to another, even more heated argument we recently had- an argument about the important question of whether or not JH has hairs on his wrists  :D

You might remember we had a heated discussion on the subject, but now, unexpectedly, Christine has provided us with undisputable proof that- yes, he does! (I hope that embedding posts from twitter is still allowed...)

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

So, I can't post from IG- but a screen shot is OK?! I really like JH's new hair cut, very natural looking

57 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

I love it too!!! Very handsome and so

boyish looking!!

Yes I like this hair too !!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I’ve often heard this “stereotype” that Busan men are more quiet, manly and attractive than Seoul men. Based on this, I think I agree :ph34r:

I don't know anything about Busan men, except JH, that is. I'm just basing my opinion on that CTH is extremely noisy in the clips they released, while the guests seem to be much quieter. I wonder if the show is just the two presenters being over the top...

• LOL 2