39 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I found Person of interest on Netflix! :) Woohoo!

Great! Enjoy! Just a word of warning- the two first seasons are incredible. The third was OK. Season 4- I wouldn't recommend watching, and season 5 ruined the entire show for me, so- I wouldn't recommend watching beyond season 3. 

• Like 1

@corey Ok, but has anyone said that a 40 sth shouldn’t do rom com? I believe what some of us has stated is that it’s not common in kdrama but we would not mind seeing it (in my case I’d prefer a sexy drama not so much comedy but I’ll take anything fun and sexy) 

YSH has much more of a reputation with rom com and “soft” characters than JH, regardless of his age. Based primarily (I think) on Secret Garden. He was really good with his rough cop character in Gapdong but no one really remembers that, only a few people watched that drama. I think “Oska” is to YSH what “Daegil” is to JH. No matter how many “Oscars” they win in the future, the average folk will always relate them to those characters (Im talking about Korea btw) 

But anyway the problem is, not a lot of romantic stories for people over 40 are being produced. I think that is a fact. 

Speaking about why people sometimes watch depressing, tragic stories. We can attribute it to the appeal of the greek tragedy “catharsis”

The term catharsis comes from Aristotle’s Poetics. He said that a catharsis was a purgation of pent up emotion. Plato believed poetry was emotional and irrational. But Aristotle saw poetry as an outlet for emotion; thus, a purgation.

This is usually when a character undergoes a mental or physical change, often because of suffering, and must experience an emotional overflow. The audience may identify and empathize with the character because suffering is universal. The experience of catharsis is meant to use this overflow of emotion as an outlet in order to return to a state of balance and harmony. For example, in It’s a Wonderful Life, George Bailey loses his temper, contemplates suicide and questions the purpose of his own existence. It is through this emotional and philosophical introspection and purging that he is able to put things into perspective and return to a harmonious life.

The most cited example is the tragedyof Oedipus Rex. Oedipus is a tragic figure. Some theorists have supposed that audiences get a cathartic relief when watching tragedies because they appreciate not being in the protagonist’s position.

Oedipus blinding himself is the height of his cathartic experience: a total overflow of emotion. Aristotle said catharsis was the aesthetic function of a tragedy. That function is to bring the audience to an emotional height and then resolve the story, bringing them back down again

Furthermore, sometimes we watch stories to “escape” but humans also watch tragic stories to “feel better about their own reality” and to “release”, for example watching something like Misaeng might be depressing to you because it resembles your reality too closely and it doesn’t make you happy. But others may watch it for the same reason. Because watching their own reality depicted on the screen, it’s something they can relate to and react to, even cry with it, which can be healing. 

So a person who has dealt with a cheating husband may avoid such stories but another may seek such stories to “resolve” such issues through the story.   

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

49 minutes ago, corey said:

But I want to comment on another thing  - this show has great rating so far. And it is about adult relationship. So again, I think it is not quite true that people in S Korea are not interested in stories about adults, romantic or otherwise. I think demographics are changing and foties becomes the new thirties. This strengthens my opinion that JH is simply underused in K-Drama land.

I hope that you are right, cause none of us are willing to allow JH be relegated to the old people home yet :) 

And @Biology Lesson, I do not think that JH improving his English would help his situation very much. At his age it is quite impossible to get rid of accent . There are very few actors who enjoyed success in Hollywood without speaking perfect English without any accent (like Arnold Schwartzenegger). What would have helped him is to be in another movie like "Parasite" - recognized internationally but still being a foreign language film.

The sole reason I wanted JH to improve his English is that that would give him more international opportunities, and I don't necessarily mean Hollywood. I actually would love seeing him do a production in cooperation with Bollywood, for example. For such a production there is not need in a perfect accent... The reason I want him to do productions outside of Korea is exactly what we've been discussing- the rarity of good mature romantic roles in Kdramas. I don't want JH to do a show similar to "the life of the Married" as popular as they may be. These type of shows maybe have more mature kiss scenes, but they tend to have unlikable characters, so that makes those scenes lacking in emotional impact. I just want a good and interesting story with a an emotional impact and likable characters...

@dramafan33 - this may be a silly qestion, but have you seen the mini-series Shogun? It is a 1980 show, so you probably did not see the original TV release (I did, when it was first aired in my country).  If you have not, I recommend it. 

It's funny, only today I saw a link to that show. I actually remember watching that show when I was young. But even better- I actually read the book! It's a great book :) 

• Like 1

@Biology Lesson The thing with unlikable characters is that eventually they should become more “likable” right? (Although not always) One could argue that JH has mostly played initially “unlikable” characters :ph34r:

In fact, I just read someone saying that as good as Money Flower looked, she didn’t continue watching it because everyone was twisted and unlikable :( (bummer) 

@corey I found some movies called Shotgun on Amazon but I can’t find the series. And yeah @fiesty8001 is trolling us recommending a drama that’s over 150 eps :blink:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson The thing with unlikable characters is that eventually they should become more “likable” right? (Although not always) One could argue that JH has mostly played initially “unlikable” characters :ph34r:

In my experience, not in these types of shows... I may be wrong, but in shows of these types the characters don't become more likable, but they get justification. 

26 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

In fact, I just read someone saying that as good as Money Flower looked, she didn’t continue watching it because everyone was twisted and unlikable :( (bummer) 

As you know I also had many problems with Money flower, and the lack of likable characters was only one of them. If it wasn't for JH, I probably wouldn't have watched that show till the end...

• Like 3

@corey Lee Yo Won and Jang Hyuk actually worked together in Daemang aka Great Ambition and I liked them together. She always plays mature characters, serious, sometimes even “unlikable”. I don’t think I”ve ever seen her try to act “cute”. In fact, her tendency is towards “cold”, “cerebral” characters. In Daemang, her character was calm and smart, smarter and more mature than our sweet male lead. She sold it well and she was much younger. She has always had a mature vibe.  Also, Jang Hyuk had really nice chemistry with Son Ye Jin, who played a sort of tomboy who was in love with him (Son Ye Jin is famous for various works but lately she was in Crash Landing On You) She is also the right age to work with JH and had great rapport way back when (but I feel she is too much of a star nowadays, still, there’s always a possibility)

And yes! I thought you meant “Shotgun” ROTFL! Shogun sounds very familiar to me. I think it aired in my country as well. 

And dear, again, no one has said it’s impossible for mature stories to be written lol! Of course its possible and we want them! Kdrama doesn’t do much of those, THAT is the problem. But anyway, we can keep hoping. 

Here is a scene of Daemang (I know it’s old but I liked this drama)

Awwww FEELS! (ok Im going to rewatch this drama instead of looking for a new one) 

• Like 4

Ok why am I here when Im supposed to be working? *sigh* 

Anyway Christine posted this and I want to comment on it

The bad

1.- I wish he had a better hairstyle here 

2.- Her falling looked so fake

3.- They should’ve used stunt doubles to show feet, they are supposed to be dancers, the feet are important (this movie, seriously)

The good

1.- His english sounds sweet and soft here. And the sincerity and intention is there. He can convey feelings even with the language barrier (some actors lose something when they speak a different language)

2.- I liked that they dance to a song by Enrique Iglesias :P

• Like 4

4 hours ago, corey said:

@fiesty8001, you 've got to be kidding me, Asa Ga Kita has 156 episodes :crazy:!!!!

4 hours ago, dramafan33 said: yeah @fiesty8001 is trolling us recommending a drama that’s over 150 eps :blink:

I don't have patience for going through a 150+ eps drama. :sweatingbullets:

Each episode runs for about 11/12 minutes so it's like watching 30 eps K drama.  

• LOL 3

So, I tried watching Miss Korea, and I don't even know what to say :) it's a very strange and confusing show. Maybe it's that I wasn't paying attention enough, but I constantly got lost, not understanding what was going on. One moment the man is saying some really insulting things to the girl, and in the next scene they are drinking together :blink:. And in another point, it was the other way around... Also, the subject of how small the girl's breasts are is constantly discussed. BY EVERYONE. By her, her friends, HER FAMILY (which is a big ick!), the people from the company. The male protagonist goes on constant rants about how pretty her breasts are. In front of her family! I'm sorry, but the entire thing was cringe inducing... So, by episode 5- I'm also out!

I did like Lee Sun-Kyun, though. There is something heartfelt about him. Any good shows of his that you guys can recommend?

Oh, well... So, I think I will try "Love me if you dare" now...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Oh, well... So, I think I will try "Love me if you dare" now...

The actress was a newbie then. You might find her acting (crying scene) fake but .....no cast is perfect in every production. Hahaha! But at least there's kiss scenes! The guy who acted the bad guy is the one JH acted with him in New Sea.

• Like 1

Love me if you dare is it a C-Drama? Do tell if it is worth watching once you know something.

Hahaha, I think in every drama, there's bound to have flaws. Everyone likes it differently. But if you watch it with JH in mind, than of course you might not like it :D Every actor has their own styles. But for me, I prefer this lead actor in costume/historical drama. 

The interview with the PD of TMWYS was published, now in korean, and there are more things mentioned here. The automatic translation is not the best, though...

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/382/0000813159?lfrom=twitter

Here they are saying that Seo-yeon Jin was criticized for her performance... I didn't know that! The truth is- I kinda agree with the criticism...

"Seo-yeon Jin is also an actor who raised expectations for 'speak as you see'. However, evaluation of the results is different. The public evaluation of Seo Seo-yeon after the end of the camp was not favorable. The exaggeration in which the character is reflected in the work is full of force. In response, director Kim Hong-sun said, “Jin Seo-yeon digs and listens to the character fiercely. "If it wasn't there, it was because of the lack of production."

Hmmm... the translation here is a bit strange, but- he's talking about a trilogy here! But is he talking about a future trilogy or a trilogy related to TMWYS? It's not clear to me...

"The final episode 4.388% (Nielsen Korea. Paid platform, national standard). 'Speak as you see' is a propaganda work in terms of figures. In particular, it is evaluated that the dark colors in line with the dark world view of director Kim Hong-sun increased the dramatic tension. Director Hong-sun Kim said, “'Kim Hong-sun = dark' is a misunderstanding. I don't like dark colors. I don't see scary things either. (Laughter) I just want the situation to deal with the story to be a bit more realistic. So, I think it might contain an atmosphere that gets darker. The fun also feels more here. Personally, I am thinking of a Psychopaths trilogy. I want to illuminate how the Psycho Pass appeared in the world, ”he said.

He's already working on a new project called Luca, and get this- it's a melodrama! Great... Of course JH will not be cast for that...:huh: 

"Director Kim Hong-sun said, “I am preparing a work called 'Luca' this year. It will be a long time as a director. It is a story of children born with genetic manipulation. It is a melodramatic drama featuring a dark hero, so please look forward to it. ”

Director Hong-seon Kim, who was hungry for melodies, will melt his longing for a new challenge in 'Luca'. It is noteworthy whether director Kim Hong-sun's unique colors will be buried in Lucca. 'Luca' confirmed the TVN formation and will air in the second half of this year."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

He's already working on a new project called Luca, and get this- it's a melodrama! Great... Of course JH will not be cast for that...:huh: 

"Director Kim Hong-sun said, “I am preparing a work called 'Luca' this year. It will be a long time as a director. It is a story of children born with genetic manipulation. It is a melodramatic drama featuring a dark hero, so please look forward to it. ”

Wait isn't JH perfect for dark hero.  Did they already name the cast?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

yes, actors Kim Rae-won and Lee Da-hee 

I think they want a younger actor. They initially courted Ji Chang Wook. But I’m fine with him not being courted for LUCA. I’m not a fan of KHS’s directing or his works so far, tbh. Much prefer for JH to explore working with other new directors. Also, not super into the storyline. I still want a romance melo storyline haha. Don’t think the leading lady in Luca would be a fit for JH too, chemistry wise. 

• Like 1

@Biology Lesson @phoenix24 Luca sounds sci-fi ish, which could be excellent or  terrible if not well executed. Koreans don’t have a “great” track record in that genre unless we are talking about the “Parasite” director who did a great job with Snow-piercer. Normally in k-drama their sci fi is mostly fantasy which doesn’t even follow any “rules” so they make them up as they go, at times contradicting themselves, creating further confusion. 

Too bad about Miss Korea. I think I mentioned it to you because of the actor who played the gangster (who you liked in Misaeng), he had a romance that evolved nicely but I think I now remember this drama moves slowly. I only remember my overall impression is positive but I probably was more patient with dramas way back when. I don’t even remember the breasts discussion. What stuck in my mind is how the leads were kind of unlikable at first, but pathetic at the same time, and how they both evolved and rose to the occasion, finding each other and some dignity along the way. There were also nice kisses, or at least one that I remember which was initiated by her.

LSK is a good actor. I’ve seen him in Coffee Prince (my first kdrama, I liked it a lot way back when and its supposed to be a classic but I haven’t seen it recently so not sure if I’d like it now). He was also in the movie Parasite. Not a particularly likable character but, there’s that. 

@corey I’m almost sure Daemang is not online. I bought the DVDs (not original) Also, while I personally like it a lot (especially JHs character story) I’m not “recommending” it. It’s an old drama, slow paced. In fact, honestly I rarely ever “recommend” stuff because everyone has such different taste. For example I wouldn’t have recommended Miss Korea to everyone, it was specific to @Biology Lesson because of the actor she liked in Misaeng. But I didn’t warn about the drama’s weirdness and slowness because I honestly don’t remember, sorry. I guess I’m only left with my overall impression. 

Like I said, I don’t even recommend JH dramas to people. If people ask me I mention what I liked but likes and dislikes are so subjective.And It’s impossible to find a flawless show. There will always be something. Just test things out and see if it’s your cup of tea or not. 

• Like 3