7 minutes ago, corey said:

I have watched the first four episodes. The only thing I did not like was the actress playing FL - I really hated her in the Suspicious Partner, because her character was soooooo annoying and she was similarly annoying in 365. I m planning on continuing watching at some unspecified future.

Haha I understand. Her character is not very likeable at all.  But I do enjoy watching Lee Joon Hyuk, the male lead. Not as charismatic an actor but solid, gentle, pleasing to the eyes and he has a very earnest quality to him which I like. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

If anyone is interested in a mystery, quirky and thrilling drama, check out 365: Repeat the year. It’s a remake from a Japanese show and I’ve been enjoying it so far :) much more than TMWYS oops! Sorry Hyukie :( his acting was the only thing that made me stay with the drama but the storyline of this show is superior compared to TMWYS. 

I don't think you need to apologize about TMWYS. The more I think about that show, the more I realize that it has two things going for it - JH (obviously) and twists! That entire show was based on essentially making the audience expect one thing, and then springing a twist on them! That's it! And if I think even more about it, the show makes absolutely no sense :) Again, it was much better than Voice, but still not a good show. It's a fun, one watch show, that is not very intelligent. That's it. OHJ was fantastic, but he needs much better script writers...

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson Speaking about sex scenes and tension and/or the lack of it in k-drama, I just remembered that, among all the things people criticized about Lee Da Hae’s character in Chuno, was how she showed some cleavage in the drama. Of course this was 10 years ago and audiences may have opened their minds a little bit since then but, maybe this is an indication that the korean audience is too conservative and it is them that prompt all this censorship? Just a thought 

P.S Miss Korea does start slow and weird, sorry, I’m not sure I warned about that. I ended up really liking the couples in it but I’m not sure I can say it was perfect

And sorry that Mr Sunshine didn’t work out for you. To be fair, I didn’t watch it with undivided attention, I was distracted at times (my mom was definitely more into it) but I did finish it and liked the characters, overall and also the cinematography, music, etc. I guess the historical aspect was another point of interest for me, it made me curious about that period of time. Byun Yo Han’s character (Misaeng actor) was among my favorites and his ending was the most shocking to me. Kind of haunting. He was such a beautiful character. 

I hear that “Secret love affair” is sexy, but I don’t feel the inclination to watch it. I’m not in the mood to watch dramas “about” relationships, I’m more into dramas about other themes that happen to focus or at least build relationships 

I’m currently watching “Chicago Typewriter” because it has been very praised and I thought it would focus in that period of time during the Japanese colonization but to my disappointment, those are only short flashbacks. I can’t give an assessment of the entire drama since I’ve only watched the first 6 eps, but I can already tell, its slow paced. The drama has an interesting premise, great atmosphere, OST etc but I think the majority here would find the female lead irritating haha! I’ll definitely continue watching because I want to know what the whole mystery is all about but, Its a weird one. I’ll let you know how I feel in the end. 

• Like 2

@corey Yes, but a conservative (TV) audience will limit the amount of sexiness portrayed or allowed in the TV shows (maybe)  and also “what” is considered sexy. I mean there has to be a reason why these characters act so “stiff”. Maybe its a cultural thing. Of course we may not like it but maybe koreans ARE different and to them, opening your eyes widely while kissing is supposed to be normal? I suppose that they do find that overly “cute” or “innocent” behaviour “endearing” in general otherwise why do they keep doing it. I mean look at kpop boy and girl groups. The men are “flower boys” and the women act like little girls with mini skirts acting “innocent sexy” (disturbing to a certain degree) 

I’m actually genuinely curious to find out how much this is representative of actual korean culture and how much its simply creators laziness, lack of effort, inability to adapt to new audiences, where does the censorship come from and why etc

Unrelated but I think JH was super cute in this movie. The movie itself wasn’t good though

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Speaking about sex scenes and tension and/or the lack of it in k-drama, I just remembered that, among all the things people criticized about Lee Da Hae’s character in Chuno, was how she showed some cleavage in the drama. Of course this was 10 years ago and audiences may have opened their minds a little bit since then but, maybe this is an indication that the korean audience is too conservative and it is them that prompt all this censorship? Just a thought 

As @corey said, I'm not talking about nudity, I'm talking about intensity of feelings, of intent. For instance, in Mr. Sunshine the scene I found to be very sexually charged was the scene in which the Japanese-Korean guy touched the hem of the girl's dress after her maid knocked things over at the store. No skin was showing there, it was all about the intensity of his feelings and how charged the situation was. Or in Robbers, one of the most sexually suggestive moments in the show was how Oh-joon was rubbing  Dal-rae hand in the cinema :) again no nudity, just intentions...

When I think about it, I think that the sexiest KRomCom that I've seen (and, again, I haven't seen that many:rolleyes:) was FTLY. I mean they actually commented on LG's manhood, he had to take cold showers, he was clearly (and crazily :) ) lusting after MY, and what's even better, was that she actually wanted him, but she was shy about it, which created tension... In the KRomComs that I've seen, if the woman wants the guy, like in Oh my Venus or Secretary Kim, she behaves like a little girl wanting candy, not like a grown woman. So, no tension. And the guy usually behaves like she is crazy or a pervert... So funny... <_< Also, SOGC was very sexy, as @corey mentioned, with Wang So lusting after Gaebong like that, even though he thought she was a man. I thought the scene in the whorehouse in which Wang so was tying the laces of Gaebong's coat and almost kissing her to be also very sexy or when he was later imagining her and softly touching her chin. Again it wasn't about the almost kiss, it was about the feeling and yearning. That is what makes "sexy", to me at least.

And you know what? It doesn't have to so charged. It can be as sweet as Lee Young trying to grab hold of the girl's hand, while she was teasing him about it. If only Mr. Sunshine had something like, I would have bought the love story...

Is it a coincidence that all my good examples  involve JH? I actually don't think so. It's possible that this is part of the reason why I am a fan of his. His ability to inject realistic emotions and intensity into his characters...  I think you just mentioned that the long longing stares Dae gill was giving LDH's character was JH's idea and not the director's... I can't imagine Chuno without those stares...

I mean look at how he looks in this scene... All of us have been imagining this is a different context... How can we not!? :D

As to people criticizing LDH for the partial nudity she showed, I think that was idiotic, though I will admit that was a bit jarring to me too. I think the problem was that whatever she wearing was pulled so low. If she just pulled it up a bit, I don't think there would have been a problem...Still, it was idiotic, as I have seen women wear more revealing bathing suits in Kdramas... My complaint with her was her horribly boring acting, but that's a different issue :)

P.S Miss Korea does start slow and weird, sorry, I’m not sure I warned about that. I ended up really liking the couples in it but I’m not sure I can say it was perfect

I just started watching the show and I was kinda distracted too. I will try and watch the show for real and then report back.^_^

And sorry that Mr Sunshine didn’t work out for you. To be fair, I didn’t watch it with undivided attention, I was distracted at times (my mom was definitely more into it) but I did finish it and liked the characters, overall and also the cinematography, music, etc. I guess the historical aspect was another point of interest for me, it made me curious about that period of time. Byun Yo Han’s character (Misaeng actor) was among my favorites and his ending was the most shocking to me. Kind of haunting. He was such a beautiful character. 

the things you mentioned were what impressed me too about the show initially and why I stuck with it until episode 11. It's only in the last few episodes that I noticed I was bored... and Byun Yo Han- I'm really impressed with this guy. I noticed he was also in Six Flying Dragons? That might convince me to watch that show...

• Like 1

@Biology Lesson I wonder if you’ll stick with 6FD  cause it’s so long! Shall we make a bet? :P(come on bear with me, Im bored) I managed to finish it myself but it didn’t capture my heart. BYH was Lee Bang Ji (Who will later become Ddolbock’s master in TWDR, lol I mean, talk about aging terribly :lol:) and yeah he was good in that too, except LBJ is a sad and broody character so to me it didn’t allow BYH to show all his charms like he did in Misaeng and Mr Sunshine. 

Ugh! I miss Jang Hyuk SO MUCH 

Btw I reconnected with two old friends via Zoom the other day. One of them introduced me to kdrama way back when Netflix was only a DVD renting service lol and the other one got into kdramas only last year. So we ended up talking about kdramas the whole time and it was strange but I kinda felt like I didn’t want to recommend JH dramas to them. One of them knows him already but she never fell under his spell so (lost cause?) and the other one started googling him but she is now at a “I only want to watch happy fluff” phase so Im like I don’t think she’ll appreciate him lol. At some point I blurted out something like “No dear, you won’t like him, he is short”. It almost felt like I didn’t want to share him lol! But honestly its more like, I’ll be pissed if they don’t appreciate him enough :lol: I’m more hard core over protective fan than I sometimes want to admit

• LOL 4

3 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I wonder if you’ll stick with 6FD  cause it’s so long! Shall we make a bet? :P(come on bear with me, Im bored) I managed to finish it myself but it didn’t capture my heart. BYH was Lee Bang Ji (Who will later become Ddolbock’s master in TWDR, lol I mean, talk about aging terribly :lol:) and yeah he was good in that too, except LBJ is a sad and broody character so to me it didn’t allow BYH to show all his charms like he did in Misaeng and Mr Sunshine. 

Ugh! I miss Jang Hyuk SO MUCH 

:) no need for a bet. In that case- I won't be watching that show! 

Lets bet on something else, I'm also bored...

And miss JH. So much that I'm actually going over the "Just...JangHyuk" blog, and it's torturous as it's in Japanese and it's difficult to navigate, but I'm persevering... :D

At any rate, it made me go over the OJH Soompi thread, at the time of Chuno, which made me ran across this translated interview with LDH. It amused me cause OJH's fans were shipping LDH with OJH so hard, that this interview annoyed them... These guys were seriously shipping them, I wonder how they felt when he got married :)

So this is the translation they posted. She obviously really likes and respects JH, and I actually agree with what she said about the plot:

Q: You were very open/familiar with OJH during filming and that gave rise to some misunderstanding (about your relationship).

A: Ji-Ho oppa wears his heart on his sleeve and his style of treating people in an honest way can be misunderstood, but I’m actually closer to Hyeok oppa. (laughs) I was really close with Ji-Ho oppa during filming, but we haven’t been in touch since filming ended. Even during filming, we only spoke on the phone five times. Hyeok oppa and I call each other by honorific titles, but he really looks after me. Even now, whenever the going gets tough, the first person I would look for is Hyeok oppa. Of course during filming I was so glad to have received an excessive amount of love from Ji-Ho oppa and all the staff. 

In the same interview, LDH also said (in gist):

• The pebble that Dae-Gil gave Eon-Nyeon (also known as “Choco” on the Chuno thread) was actually “completely cold”. During filming LDH had to rub the pebble and act like it was warm. In a later scene, when little Kim Jin-U (who plays the royal grandson) was sitting on her lap, LDH ad-libbed a bit and asked the child to “try touching the pebble". The toddler responded by stroking the pebble and saying “it’s warm”. LDH laughed and remarked about how she thought they’ve totally messed up a little boy.

• She would’ve picked Dae-Gil over Tae-Ha.

LDH wished that there were more developments between Eon-Nyeon and Dae-Gil. Chuno was very popular so the series probably ended with room for a ‘Season 2’ to be made. Many people had hoped that Eon-Nyeon and Dae-Gil would get married. LDH felt that, while the two may not become husband and wife, in the event that Chuno Season 2 comes to fruition it would have been better if some room had been left for Eon-Nyeon and Dae-Gil to get things off their chest.

• She has been asked by the director if she would star in Chuno Season 2. Right now she is still sitting on the fence about this.

• To appease viewers’ anger and to create more impact, she would have preferred for Eon-Nyeon to die.

• Thanks 2

@Biology Lesson Wow! Very interesting and I agree with her too! I still feel so frustrated that Daegil and Unnyun never quite TALKED after finding each other. And I love that LDH was closer to JH :P (sorry OJH fans but come on, there was no chemistry between him and LDH, at all!) Unnyun’s death would’ve been a good ending. And how dare they even dreamed of a Chuno S2 without Daegil? ^_^

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Wow! Very interesting and I agree with her too! I still feel so frustrated that Daegil and Unnyun never quite TALKED after finding each other. And I love that LDH was closer to JH :P (sorry OJH fans but come on, there was no chemistry between him and LDH, at all!) Unnyun’s death would’ve been a good ending. And how dare they even dreamed of a Chuno S2 without Daegil? ^_^

You already know what I think about Chuno- I think it's a highly flawed show. Just as I thought about TMWYS- problematic plot filled with holes, kept afloat by an incredible JH performance. And the lack of real closure between Daegil and Unnyun was one of those holes. And yes, the relationship between Tae Ha and Unnyun was one of the reasons I was fast forwarding the show. It wasn't that I was rooting for Unnyun to get back with Daegil. I thought she was completely incompatible with him at this point of his life. No, It was that I though Tae Ha and Unnyun were that boring together! :). And reading the thread, OJH fans were so salty about this LDH interview and about the support DG got. They were trying to find ways to explain why LDH was saying those things and not announcing her relationship with OJH, which I find so disrespectful! Shipping real actors to me is very disrespectful!

It's also funny to me that they were happy for Tae Ha being alive and getting the girl at the end. What they didn't realize is that whoever dies at the end- owns the show! That character becomes iconic, and everyone else- will be relegated to the background. That's how it goes. This is why I think LDH wanted her character to die at the end. I think she understood this. The funnier thing was that OJH's fans very clearly wanted to resent JH but they couldn't because he was so nice and supportive of their guy. So they end up resenting JH's fans... :) 

Oh, and as to the Chuno 2, what the production said was that they were thinking about a prequel centering on DG and TH's stories. No way would they have done Chuno 2 without JH :) . The even more interesting thing is that I'm seeing comments from the PD about Chuno 2, from LDH and OJH, all saying they want to do it. The only person missing from the discussion is JH. No comment from him.

Edit: reading some more of the thread I see now that OJH himself was making comments about LDH... I'm sorry, but some actors are idiots to be talking about their private life in public. JH has the right idea- private life needs to remain exactly that! Private!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

At some point I blurted out something like “No dear, you won’t like him, he is short”. It almost felt like I didn’t want to share him lol! But honestly its more like, I’ll be pissed if they don’t appreciate him enough :lol: I’m more hard core over protective fan than I sometimes want to admit

I got puzzled when some friends I recommended them JH drama, they didn't like him. 1 friend even told me that she preferred the guy acting Crash Landing compared to JH. So it's really individual taste.

4 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

JH has the right idea- private life needs to remain exactly that! Private!

I've always admired this of him. Keeping his private life private. But of course, there'll be people who feel he should disclose his private life to the public because he's a celebrity. What sort of weird thinking this is.

I do feel that sometimes actors who disclose their personal life, maybe at the beginning did it out of goodwill. To let you all know I'm married. Please no shipping. Something to this effect. But people, especially a bunch of scary people, they will somehow dig out who the spouse is. All sorts of information about the spouse will surface. That's when things get out of hand, the actor from then onwards, will not reveal any more information about his family. But when the actor don't reveal any more information, these bunch of people will cook up some information. Example : the couple is having a 3rd wheel in the marriage. And the 3rd wheel is always 1 of the actresses he had acted with.

However, not sure if it's true, but I also hear before, sometimes is the production company, in order to get support/viewers for the drama, purposely cook up some "stories" just to promote the drama. And what information is more "juicy" than a 3rd wheel in the marriage?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, corey said:

@Biology Lesson, thank you for a great tip about Ms Temper! I am at ep 5 and enjoying it very much. Strong female, hansome vulnerable ML, good plot, and quite realistic setting. I love stories where underdog gets the better hand of the thug! Even the little kid is not too annoying, and I really hate little kids in shows for adults. The only thing I did not like is the usual K-Drama  good-for-nothing jobless 동생 (so far you have said twice you wanted to lear Korean - here you are - 동생 (dongsaeng )- younger sibling :D). But I suppose he remeeded himself a little in ep. 4. But OMG, did Ok Manager really sleep with the "sleazy smile" man? I have to find out [scurries to continue watching]

I'm glad you're enjoying it! And don't worry about the younger brother- he's going to redeem himself ten times over! This entire show is such a delight. Truly. And I think she did sleep with that guy, though I'm not sure... He did sleep over, right? The show was very matter of fact about it...

I understand your lack of enthusiasm about Miseang, especially if you were is a similar situation. I think Miseang was even better than Ms Temper, but I do get your reservations... Right before the two last episodes of the show it became really hard to take, the situation was really depressing, but the two last episodes made it up for that and than some! I loved it! But if you can't- than don't watch :) 

6 minutes ago, corey said:

@Biology Lesson, yes, he did sleep over. But then she acted very cold to him... so not really sure what hapened. Glad about the little brother - usually the little sibling is just there as a comic relief/distraction, so I am happy he has a role to play.

And are you telling me that I have to endure 14 hours of misery in Misaeng before it gets better? Wow. I do not think I can take it, then . Ten years was enough. :D

Oh, no! I said don't watch, if you can't stand watching shows so similar to what you had to endure... Ten years of situations like in that show?! Oh my god! That's a lot! 

2 hours ago, budgerie said:
14 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

protective fan than I sometimes want to admit

I got puzzled when some friends I recommended them JH drama, they didn't like him. 1 friend

This was happen to me also, I introduced JH to some of my close ladies friend but they simply doesn't like him.  Honestly  I knew him from watched FTLY but for the first time he was to noisy and dorky for me, but the movie itself can makes my emotional  up and down like crazy. So my curiosity about Him  make me searching to know him more and watch other drama. Then the hyuk witched me until now :wub:
I really crush on him not just  of his handsomeness but also his real character and his passion of acting. He is the actor with so many strength and capabilities to do many characters that makes me deeper crush on him:wub::P

Me too sometimes I'm a bit off if there some tries to compare him with younger actor or HB( but I don't like him:vicx: for me look boring and stiff so so for acting) based on handsome and physical.

6 hours ago, Sushimi said:

I’m late..but did he cut short his hair something?:tears:

I love the new hair style makes him look younger and fresh. But yes I'm also love his curly long hair. So For me he is awesome in both style:D.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Lovehyukie said:

This was happen to me also, I introduced JH to some of my close ladies friend but they simply doesn't like him.

Actually I got "told off" before by friends that yes, I may like JH but that does not mean everyone has to like him. To me, he's a good actor with good looks & good personality (etc) however, I've also come to realise that I cannot force this down other people's throat. Everyone has their own yardstick as to who is handsome, what is good acting. :D

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

42 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Actually I got "told off" before by friends that yes, I may like JH but that does not mean everyone has to like him. To me, he's a good actor with good looks & good personality (etc) however, I've also come to realise that I cannot force this down other people's throat. Everyone has their own yardstick as to who is handsome, what is good acting. :D

I agree with you. My friends know I like him so sometimes they will be delightfully surprised by him in certain dramas and that's when I'll recommend them more shows by him. Otherwise, I shall enjoy JH all by myself and of course I'm so happy that you all are here to discuss about him too!

I miss seeing his smile.. haha

btw, I'm watching the world of the married and liking it so far. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

@Biology Lesson Those shippers must’ve disliked that JH and LDH won best couple that year and not the couple they wanted. When I watched this drama, I wasn’t even too JH biased (I mean I loved Daegil but I was in the process of falling in love) but I never really felt anything between LDH and OJH, to me they are a perfect example of a couple that has zero chemistry, whereas despite me not being in love with Unnyun, I did “feel” her in relation to Daegil and I was impacted but their scenes when they met again. I felt the angst, even prior to them meeting and it wasn’t based on their flashbacks. I mean, I know that narratively, their backstory wasn’t “that” impactful, it didn’t quite “justify” Daegil’s obsession and her not been able to forget him, but, I “felt” it and that was because the actors sold that feeling to me (I have to include her, because I did “believe” her feelings in relation to Daegil) But it goes to show, once again, “different strokes for different folks”. 

So, did OJH say he was in a relationship with LDH or did he say he was attracted to her? 

@corey Misaeng feels too realistic and stressful for people who work in offices. I remember feeling the same and others commenting the same. 

@Lovehyukie @azureblue7 Yeah, I prefer for people to discover JH on their own and if they like him and want to see more of him, of course I’m there to open the Hyuk world to them lol! But the first move needs to be theirs. 

@Sushimi Did you see that he cut his hair or are you asking? :mellow:

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Those shippers must’ve disliked that JH and LDH won best couple that year and not the couple they wanted.

I was thinking to scroll through the thread to get to their reaction to the KBS award show, but then I got bored... :) but since you asked, I just a short search and, surprisingly, I couldn't find a single comment about that... They were happy OJH won, I saw one comment congratulating JH for winning , and some comments about LDH's dress, and that's it :D

When I watched this drama, I wasn’t even too JH biased (I mean I loved Daegil but I was in the process of falling in love) but I never really felt anything between LDH and OJH, to me they are a perfect example of a couple that has zero chemistry, whereas despite me not being in love with Unnyun, I did “feel” her in relation to Daegil and I was impacted but their scenes when they met again. I felt the angst, even prior to them meeting and it wasn’t based on their flashbacks. I mean, I know that narratively, their backstory wasn’t “that” impactful, it didn’t quite “justify” Daegil’s obsession and her not been able to forget him, but, I “felt” it and that was because the actors sold that feeling to me (I have to include her, because I did “believe” her feelings in relation to Daegil) But it goes to show, once again, “different strokes for different folks”. 

Oh, completely! I think our opinion of Chuno are quite similar, only you are more forgiving than I am... :) 

So, did OJH say he was in a relationship with LDH or did he say he was attracted to her? 

OJH didn't say he was in a relationship with her, but, according to the fans, in an appearance in the show "Taxi" OJH said the following things:

"

About LDH in Taxi.

When asked to name the actress who could “sway his heart” most, OJH picks LDH.

But didn’t LDH herself state that she seems to feel more comfortable with JH? Don’t you feel slighted? Asks MC Kong Hyeon-Jin.

OJH starts to explain as Kong Hyeon-Jin interjects that it would’ve been nice if it worked out (between the pair) from the start.

But MC Lee Yeong-Ja voices her objection.

OJH then describes LDH as a woman with all the criteria (character, face).

Why then, did OJH not “make a go” for LDH? Both LYJ and KHJ and pose the question.

OJH reckons that it was probably because he was so totally in love in character (as Song Tae-Ha), so much so that he did not have time to explore his feelings outside of character, as himself. He really wanted to make a go for it, but he had little time.

But you have time now! Exclaims KHJ. OJH replies with a laugh, “She’s gone to the States now.”

On hearing that, LYJ practically breaks out a cheer: How fortunate! Right move, Da-Hae! I don’t want you two to end up together~!

But then LYJ also follows up with this: “What if, as time passes, that kind of emotions for LDH continue to remain, what would you do then?”

The superimposed caption says “I do have the thought/I intend to/I’m contemplating to try getting together earnestly.”

Not to be a prude, and it’s barely even audible, but Ji-Ho ssi’s answer actually began with “In that case”.

So if you ask me -- not that what I think matters, hehe -- it was a hypothetical question, and Ji-Ho ssi gave a hypothetical answer.

Then again, what do I know? Hypothetical or empirical or program- and media-magnified possibility, only the future will tell :-D"

"

https://forums.soompi.com/topic/4265-oh-ji-ho-오지호/page/315/#comments

So, according to this, it wasn't just the fans that were shipping them... Crazy...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

I agree with you. My friends know I like him so sometimes they will be delightfully surprised by him in certain dramas and that's when I'll recommend them more shows by him. Otherwise, I shall enjoy JH all by myself and of course I'm so happy that you all are here to discuss about him too!

I miss seeing his smile.. haha

about the first clip- I was looking for that as an example to how JH is uncomfortable being touched by women like that. But this interviewer is hilarious, I love how she knows he's uncomfortable and proceeds to tease him! I love their interactions whenever she interviews him... and his smile... what can we say?!

As to the second clip... How can JH's skin and body look so good?! It's just amazing! And it's so sweet to see how much fun he's having on set... But I noticed not many comment about this movie. What do you guys think about it? I remember someone commented that while JH was promoting this film, the fans of the other actors got angry? What was the story?

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

btw, I'm watching the world of the married and liking it so far. 

I think I will join you :) 

• Like 3