@Biology Lesson ROTFL! I didn’t know that anecdote of him chasing after the reporter :lol: how embarrassing! *sigh* it made me think of my own obnoxious younger self lolol 

I think what you say makes a lot of sense

And I agree that he wasn’t a “prodigy” or a “born actor”,  he needed to learn and be polished (evident in SSGB where he was horribly OTT but had those good scenes that revealed his potential. I also liked him a lot in Daemang) but he was nowhere near the actor he is now

Awww ok ok I agree he looked atrocious in VH and TJ phase but this boy was cute , come on. I’d pinch his chubby cheeks

20140319-005234.jpg

He was compared with JWS, called young JWS and his nickname in school was “white girl” cause he was actually pretty. I think his features were considered pretty already. But JWS was a “taller”, older (manlier) version. So what they meant to say wasn’t “You are ugly” but more like “You got looks, but nothing extraordinary”, “There’s nothing special about you so you have to work harder” etc A harsh, humbling but ultimately maybe helpful statement. 

It’s also one thing to be pretty in real life and another to be pretty in entertainment industry (where everyone is above average pretty) 

P.S We’ve talked about this before, I don’t excuse him for trying to dodge MS but it was standard practice at the time in k-ent. As @fiesty8001 reminded us, Sidus not only encouraged it, they collected the fake sample themselves, the actors never blamed them but there was testimony about this. JH and the other actors covered for Sidus and this is why Sidus returned the “loyalty”. Remember this was young JH, he did not have the strength and clout he has now. It’s the same young man who allowed VH director to throw him through the air like a rag doll and almost kill him. Just saying that there were other factors at play here, not just his bad decision. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson ROTFL! I didn’t know that anecdote of him chasing after the reporter :lol: how embarrassing! *sigh* it made me think of my own obnoxious younger self lolol 

I think what you say makes a lot of sense

And I agree that he wasn’t a “prodigy” or a “born actor”,  he needed to learn and be polished (evident in SSGB where he was horribly OTT but had those good scenes that revealed his potential. I also liked him a lot in Daemang) but he was nowhere near the actor he is now

Awww ok ok I agree he looked atrocious in VH and TJ phase but this boy was cute , come on. I’d pinch his chubby cheeks

Oh, I agree! He was actually gorgeous in Model, in the pictures that I've seen. But in the years later he kinda got chubbier and odd looking. I wonder if that was intentional, cause he did say that his face blocked from getting roles, and after his appearance changed he got quirkier roles, and he did find moderate success. I think the show in which his looks went back to a classier handsome appearance was Daemang... interesting!

He was compared with JWS, called young JWS and his nickname in school was “white girl” cause he was actually pretty. I think his features were considered pretty already. But JWS was a “taller”, older (manlier) version. So what they meant to say wasn’t “You are ugly” but more like “You got looks, but nothing extraordinary”, “There’s nothing special about you so you have to work harder” etc A harsh, humbling but ultimately maybe helpful statement. 

Not sure saying things like that is very helpful... But it could be what cause his appearance change to goofier look...

Ha! Look what I found! :) Notice the difference in expressions? This is something I noticed about JH. He doesn't have that reserved expression that is kinda saying "I'm above you". Always, in interviews, in official events, with friends or with fans, he always seems sincere. His expression simply expresses how he feels, if it's shyness (most of the time :) ) , affection or seriousness. No pretense. 

Prettysup on Twitter: "Jang Hyuk with friends at the 54th Baeksang ...

It’s also one thing to be pretty in real life and another to be pretty in entertainment industry (where everyone is above average pretty)

And then our "ugly duckling" became this guy... (obviously much sooner that this :D I just love his look here) I wonder how many people had to eat their words in the following years... 

Stars Rock The Red Carpet At 2018 MAMA Fans' Choice in Japan ...

P.S We’ve talked about this before, I don’t excuse him for trying to dodge MS but it was standard practice at the time in k-ent. As @fiesty8001 reminded us, Sidus not only encouraged it, they collected the fake sample themselves, the actors never blamed them but there was testimony about this. JH and the other actors covered for Sidus and this is why Sidus returned the “loyalty”. Remember this was young JH, he did not have the strength and clout he has now. It’s the same young man who allowed VH director to throw him through the air like a rag doll and almost kill him. Just saying that there were other factors at play here, not just his bad decision.

Agreed. Also, don't forget his parents. I'm sure they also noticed he wasn't enlisting...

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 3/29/2020 at 5:40 AM, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Here is another video. My goodness, if he spent months filming this, no wonder he felt it was too long. It looks like physical torture. I’m really a bit shocked. I had heard about this but never actually saw the footage myself. I believe Christine uploaded only today. Here you can see him losing consciousness again. 

And another video which seems to be narrated by JH

I haven't been on this side of forum in a while so not sure about other video before, but I'm assuming maybe this one.  Volcano High was not really my type of movie, but I did appreciate him more after seeing this.  When he say doesn't matter how much he gets hurt, I really worry for him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, yoeda said:

I don't watch contagion but ppl keep mentioning this since Covid outbreak beside The Flu. I assume it's another Korean movie. Now, I know it's a Hollywood movie. :sweatingbullets:

http://koalasplayground.com/2020/03/30/infectious-disease-movies-contagion-and-the-flu-top-streaming-during-worldwide-worry-over-covid-19/

Yeah I think people are leaning towards these type of movies as they provide some catharsis. 

@phoenix24 Look for the other video, its even more scary 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

To a certain extent, I am happy he got discovered, trying to dodge military service. Just imagine if he wasn't caught, he might not have become who he is today. He might still be the person running after the reporters to say he hasn't finished talking. He might be the kind of person who thinks money settles problems. He might be an arrogant person when he attained some wealth & popularity.  However, the discovery of him trying to dodge military puts him back onto ground zero.

But the sad thing is, the public is non forgiving. But the public has forgotten that everyone of us (even if not 100% of us, at least 99% of us) have 1 time or another in our youth made bad decisions, bad choices, bad mistakes. So why do we always harp on people's mistakes & not looking at ours instead? I think JH had said before that this scandal he had to carry it for the rest of his life. Why? He had already paid for his mistakes.

• Like 2

I think young Hyuk was very innocent and quite funny..haha. I remembered Danny Ahn (g.o.d. member) telling funny stories about Hyuk in his younger days during a Chuno interview. Chasing after a ball and diving into a shallow pool hitting his nose or something..:lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, corey said:

Edit: I just saw this blue flowery pyjamas. Noooooo! What sort of garment is that supposed to be!!!! Yick! RUined my daily Hyuk experience. :angry:

I saw nothin wrong? :D Focus on the face dear. I think it's more like summer Hawaiian style.

• LOL 2

Found this gif of JH in Models from Christine's site- https://blog.naver.com/janghyuk_forever... I'm truly wondering about his subsequent change in look, if it was indeed a result of people telling him he's not handsome enough. If that might have led him to change his look completely to suit the quirkier roles he got after. I wonder if this is why to this day JH will sometime intentionally change his look to a less attractive one, to fit a role, like he did in BM and Gaekju.

1577847650710.gif?type=w773

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, corey said:

@Prettysup, I think JH has never looked better than these Westwood pictures. And I believe it is you who wants him to cut his hair !!!!!

Edit: I just saw this blue flowery pyjamas. Noooooo! What sort of garment is that supposed to be!!!! Yick! RUined my daily Hyuk experience. :angry:

37 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

What on earth is that?! If you wear something like that, you've got to be more playful! JH with his serious sexy look, wearing that funny outfit...:D

21 minutes ago, yoeda said:

I saw nothin wrong? :D Focus on the face dear. I think it's more like summer Hawaiian style.

Haha I think it would have been better had he not worn the white Tshirt underneath, and unbutton a bit

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

7 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Yeah I think people are leaning towards these type of movies as they provide some catharsis. 

@phoenix24 Look for the other video, its even more scary 

I wonder if that's why his back hurts.  I hope he doesn't take as much risk now that he's older.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

@corey As you may notice, he is older than the actors you see on those lists by at least a decade. People who put together those lists are likely younger people who prefer younger actors. He also is not “trendy” and hasn’t been in a lot of romantic stories which makes actors more “popular” I think. 

@phoenix24 Well, he still takes risks and has had multiple injuries during various dramas, most recently he told the story of how he was hurt during Bad Papa and the tears in that “upside down crying” scene were real because his head was hurting so much, but, he is much more in control of the situations, he is now an expert at working with wires, he also is respected by PDs so he calls many of the shots, especially during action scenes, so, as much as he wants to “risk” for his characters (and make us worry for him) it is at least, his call. It is akin to dedicating your life to sports. Injuries will happen, pain will happen, there’ll be broken bones and bruises, and injuries will act up in your old age. But at least, it’s the person’s choice. 

I do trust that even though he is clearly a daredevil and enjoys the adrenaline rush, he will take as much safety precautions as possible, which unfortunately was not happening during that VH shoot. He was being treated worse than a stunt double (who have experience on those scenes) he was treated like a rag doll. That director definitely crossed the line.

I remember KNG overexerted himself while filming the movie Pirates and fainted a few times mostly due to exhaustion, it was bad enough but he was seen by Doctors and taken to the hospital even. I don’t think they dusted him off and continued pushing him after he fainted (at least, I hope not) According to JHs account he was already limping from a sprain ankle, his nose was injured and director still ordered “30 more takes”! 

What upsets me the most if how they release that footage and seem proud of it. As if it shows an example of heroism or sth instead of realizing that the whole thing is simply wrong and disturbing! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3