36 minutes ago, Sushimi said:

I don't deem it as liking the show. It's more on being acceptable in terms of the story flow. I don't hate it or like it too much either. Of cause the writing could have been extended for the characters, but for an ocn drama. It's okay. It's a mutual level for me with this series.^_^ 

Voice series tbh, was those kinds of dramas that i wouldn't watch because of that fantasy part of being able to hear is so unbelievable...But then again thought the poster looks interesting. Ultimately, i gave it a 50/50 after finishing. 

The reason people persist with a show changes. Some can't move beyond a look, and some can't move beyond a premise. It's fine- these are just shows. Being a fan of JH doesn't obligate us to nothing.

I can say that I watched Voice till the end, but because there was no personal connection between any of the characters- I couldn't care less about it. Add to that that I couldn't stand the fl lead- her acting and, ironically, voice ( :) ) really annoyed me. Also, I thought the premise of the show was idiotic- her superhuman hearing could have been easily replaced with a really good microphone and sound processing software. It probably would have been much better than her, as she was completely useless at times, as when JH's character was being kidnapped and she could clearly hear grunts, yells and glass smashing (no super human hearing required for that), and all she did was stand there, looking baffled. God, I ended up hating her face for that baffled look! And that was my main problem with Voice- that in order to drag out the main plot, our two "brilliant detectives"  made so many mistakes, acted so stupidly, that I ended up hating this show. And finally, I love JH's acting. I love his ability to emote and create a character that evolves. Since this show gave me nothing of that, I felt like my time was being wasted. But that is just me. 

Obviously, there are JH shows that I didn't even finish- like Tazza and WOL. It took me several episodes, not just 15 minutes, but eventually I stopped watching. Now I've seen only JH's scenes in WOL, With Tazza I wouldn't even bother, cause I hated the stupidity of JH's character in Tazza. The only good thing about the Tazza is that it introduced JH to many actors, many of whom are his friends to this day. Chuno I fast forward through, as I can't stand the acting in the that show of anyone but JH, and the plot I thought wasn't that good...

I didn't start out as a fan of JH. I became a fan of JH due to the surprising number of his shows that I did like. From that I realized that I like his acting and his takes on a character, and, ultimately, became his fan. About Robbers- I personally think it's one of the bravest Kdramas I've ever seen and has some of JH's best acting in it, but the world will not end if you don't watch it. So, do your thing, guys... 

For instance, I saw this post of JH's expressions in one of the most amusing scenes in Robbers, the scam scene. So we see him switch from trying to look honest, to trying to signal to his scam partner what to say. A lot of subtle acting here... 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, yoeda said:

It's from Beautiful Mind PD. kind like cheating husband strong wife drama I guess.

And KBS re-airing DOTS. Watching that while surfing the net. this drama kinda unforgettable for me except the real life drama that follow after that. haha. Song Joong Ki is only flower boy that i like but not a fan of Song Hye Kyo. 

Ohhhh Beautiful Mind PD has my heart! Also, isn’t this drama based on a British drama? 

@budgerie I don’t just like JH, I LOVE JH lol and still I don’t like all his characters. I think liking all characters by any actor is impossible. 

@Biology Lesson Gosh, not only is there a lot of depth in his portrayal of Oh Joon, and expert use of facial expressions but, he looks BEAUTIFUL in that video you shared (the Pitbull soundtrack cracks me up though) 

• Like 3

@corey @Prettysup @qynn Thank you for all the suggestions. I just finished  Kingdom season 2, the cursed and still watching Nobody knows (I like the fl, she is so outstanding in Sky castle, practically stole the show. I want to see her working with Hyuk. Both of them have very intense eye acting)  But I am starting to lose interest in it..

I have no motivation to start anything new yet.. nothing interests  me so far.. still miss JH on the screen.. give me a few days to recover..:tears:lol

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

@corey But you haven’t really watched Robbers. I’m not saying that you should but I mean 15 minutes is hardly enough to judge a character. Oh Joon is an interesting character, he does evolve in a natural way throughout the drama. Again, if you don’t feel it, of course drop it but I’m saying 15 mins is really not enough

You’ve watched most of what I personally consider JHs best work in dramas already, so I don’t have much to recommend. I personally liked Thank You but its a very quiet, old, nostalgic, unpretentious drama so I don’t recommend it casually. I guess you need to be in a special mood. It is very heartwarming to me though. 

MC, I figured you would care about the leads so you wouldn’t be so bored :mellow:, I know some here didn’t but I found that drama engaging overall so I didn’t mind waiting for Bangwon’s appearances. To me the most important aspect is his relationship with his father. There’ll be no romance for him here (except his platonic love for Hwi :P) but remember he is only an antagonist here. And yes, the scene you described did happen. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, corey said:

. I am skipping MC, and I am about halfway through - still waiting for the scene when BW's headdress is hit by an arrow and his hair flows down. IS that scene even in the drama, or ended up on the cutting room floor, being the scene between the collecting BW's stepmother in episode 3 and her getting injured in ep4, where BW ends up with loose hair? I saw the headdress scene in the musical video of MC and I have been looking for this scene ever since.

Here's the unforgettable scene...and read one netizen's comment below.. so funny!

• Like 2

@corey If its for JH acting, I recommend Chuno more than TWDR. JH won his only Daesang so far, for the role of Daegil. Regardless of what we may think of the drama itself (I liked it, but not all characters) his portrayal was masterful and I think that is one thing most people agree on

TWDR tells a good, engaging story and I recommend it if you like to learn about korean history too, but acting wise JH was better in Chuno

I will likely check the drama you mention, but later when its over. I never watch dramas while they air unless JH is in them. I like Kim Hee Ae though. She worked with JH in Midas (which btw has a good plot, I just didn’t care for JH’s character too much)

P.S I don’t dislike pretty boys. I’m not attracted to them but I’m ok with them existing :P

@Sushimi I liked KMHM too. I think Ji Sung is a talented and fun actor. I think Im drawn to wacky stuff too, maybe. I don’t go for rom com in general but I crave romantic and emotional elements sometimes 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, corey said:

I was also thinking what exactly is that I like and want to see. And I ended up thinking, I like when the characters show some emotions. Positive emotions. For example, the JH character in Robbers seem so shallow to me that despite the great acting (as pointed out by @Biology Lesson) and stunning good looks I was put off. And con men can be great character with depths (I was reminded of Sawyer in Lost in season 1).

Well, that's exactly it :) In Robbers Oh Joon is all emotion, as he evolves. And truly it's one of the most believable evolution of such a character that I've seen. One of the reasons I liked Robbers so much (and why others dislike it :) ) is that Oh Joon is not the regular charming con man that only cons bad rich people, so that we'll find a way to like him. Almost every protagonist that is a con man in a Kdrama is like that, only conning bad people. Not Oh Joon. Oh Joon cons vulnerable women, like a real con man would do. He is nasty is the beginning, really cruel. This is why I think the show is so brave, and JH too for taking that role. But from the get go we see glimpses of his humanity and what led him to that place. And then we see him change, and along the way he breaks. Several times. And it's beautiful... If you like FTLY, you will see elements that were taken from Robbers that were used in FTLY, including the relationship with the mother in law...

This next scene actually happened before the scene I posted in the previous post. Sorry for the translation in spanish, couldn't find in English...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Going back to Volcano High- Christine has posted a journal that JH apparently wrote while filming the movie. It's really interesting. So much pain, but also so much resolve! Also it's interesting to read, that at the same time he was filming this movie, he was obsessing over Jungle Juice, that were waiting for him to finish. He really wanted to do that movie! I can't imagine why...

This line shows just how intense was the process he went through with the wires "Hanging on my wire is now life."

And it looks like this is the account of the scene he almost drowned in... This director should have been sued!!

"I fell above the water at a height of 5m above the ground, but I was shocked as if the backboard that hit the water surface was hit by a washboard. Moreover, when I went down to the bottom, I was inside a small tank, and the water pressure was strong, so my eyes popped out and I heard a tight sound in my eardrum. The thought I heard at the moment was "I'm dead." When I was a child, I experienced a four-day coma because of a medical accident. If the diver didn't give me an oxygen respirator at the time, <Volcano High> would have been my masterpiece. How vivid the yellow button on the oxygen respirator looked like, and as soon as I pressed it, I was barely able to breathe and I was relieved to say, "You're alive." Oh, how surprised. Thump . "

https://blog.naver.com/janghyuk_forever/221881333009 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sushimi said:

Agreed. I think one of the endings i got a love hate relationship with was... "So now what?" Kind of ending. Leaving the audience like...so...he is getting away scout free?:sweatingbullets: at first glance, it's great for me, but at the same time is huh for me. Sadly..it was just 10 episodes and this is how the webtoon & drama ended...so...sigh...it's okay i guess:sweatingbullets:

Ya so frustrating. The drama I recently finished, about detective/prosecutor/lawyer type of genre, the ending was .....haiz! It's something like TMWYS but this C drama, at least got give insight to the ML (who is the prosecutor) personal life & fell in love with his Assistant. (Similar to OHJ & SY). The drama isn't so boring about only on cases. But the ending is, the ML went to the seaside to look at the sea!! :triumph:What ending is this?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Going back to Volcano High- Christine has posted a journal that JH apparently wrote while filming the movie. It's really interesting. So much pain, but also so much resolve! Also it's interesting to read, that at the same time he was filming this movie, he was obsessing over Jungle Juice, that were waiting for him to finish. He really wanted to do that movie! I can't imagine why...

This line shows just how intense was the process he went through with the wires "Hanging on my wire is now life."

From what I managed to understand from the auto-translation, that is :)

https://blog.naver.com/janghyuk_forever/221881333009 

Reading how he suffered during wire action and how he almost drowned...I cried for young Hyuk. Hurt badly and yet could not go to the hospital for fear of slowing down shooting schedule..And look at that sincere and innocent face of his.. all he wanted to do to try his best, repeating that painful shooting over and over again. :bawling:

• Sad 6

3 hours ago, Sushimi said:

I have an oppa that I love, his series is airing now, because it’s romance I had to turn it down:sweatingbullets: so i am with you on the idea of not watching everything oppa does. 

You don't like romance genre too? I just don't like romance (like FTLY) genre. Don't get me wrong, I like MY and LG chemistry but that's about it, the chemistry. Drama wise so so only. Hmm...how to explain....I like drama with a little romance but not the entire drama on romance & I hate it when couples act cute, act silly, which was quite a lot in FTLY.

I prefer historical actually. 

Who's the oppa that you love?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sushimi said:

Mostly yes with the exception of some..I can’t feel the sweetness that they give, some of my friends be like this romance is so sweet. Most of the time I’m like “huh?”

”I am empty inside..” - OHJ tmwys :lol:

I prefer crime and action. Not really that into historical. 

Maybe I watched too many romance movies in the 70s & 80s. :lol:Now I'm sick of it.

The historical I like is something like Queen of Seondeok that type, or Jumong that type. I really wished Jumong was acted by JH (the actor who acted as Jumong wasn't bad but JH could do better). I also enjoy watching Emperor/Palace but the Emperor must be able to fight. I don't like a weakling Emperor.

1 hour ago, Sushimi said:

I actually quite like KDW who is doing find me in your memory. :o I actually love a lot of oppas. That’s how I expand my resume :lol: but tbh...JH vs KDW. I would pick JH now because my preference goes to older oppa. He is not bad too for my taste.

Hahaha...expand your resume. I don't really have many K oppas that I like. But I definitely like oppas that are of age already. 40s & above would be great!

Talking about oppas, ok this morning while I was having bf, suddenly a group of people approached the area where I sat. They were going to do filming! Make me fed up only. I had to switch table 3x. But I still managed to see what they were filming. Aiyo, just for 1 line or 1 sentence, have to take & re take & re take how many times! These actors actresses are so poor thing. Just for 1 sentence, have to say so many times. Even if they're not sick of saying the sentence, I'm sick of listening to it already...hahaha.

• LOL 2

@Biology Lesson Thank you, thank you, thank you, yes, I knew he had written his experiences at the time in a sort of journal but I had never read it. All I can say is :tears:

Oh and wow, I never knew he was in a 4 day coma as a child! That must’ve been traumatic for his parents

About his obsession with Jungle Juice, well, remember that he was just starting (if my calculations are correct) so any role in a movie must’ve been exciting for him. Also, he gets so much into everything, its part of his charm. Passionate and determined to a fault. 

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson You've reminded me why I like Robbers so much with that clip of Oh Joon.  Personally I feel for one to enjoy Robbers, you've got to focus on his expressions, which changes very subtly from one emotion to another.  I was esp moved in one scene where Oh Joon sat in his car after he had successful cheated the FL of her money.  By that time he had already fallen in love with her but had gone ahead to cheat her anyway because of his circumstances.  The struggle he felt was wonderfully portrayed by JH.  And when he went back to the thugs to take back her money... oh I don't even know how to describe it, but i felt him.  

Robbers hold a special place in my heart because it made me realized the wide acting range of JH and his expressions.  Chuno introduced me to JH, but Robbers is the drama that get me hooked to JH. 

Now I know what to re-watch while waiting for his next project...

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@AgnesO That scene you described was also one of my favorites and I remember appreciating it more on rewatch. I agree with everything you said. 

@Biology Lesson @azureblue7 I read the Volcano High article with a translation app and 1) I really need to learn korean 2) I wish JH would write more like this :P

Wow! It opened my eyes to him a little more. Of course that was young JH, pre girlfriend, pre military service scandal, pre so many things, in a way a “different” person. But this humanized him so much for me. His Volcano High experience sounds like a brutal bootcamp. I guess it traumatized him but also taught him a lot. My heart broke a little when he said he couldn’t go to the hospital, every time he talked about his physical pain but also whenever he expressed guilt for delaying this production and Jungle Juice production. When he said he was in such a condition he didn’t know he’d be able to shoot more. His stress level was immense, the torture was not just physical but psychological. But he took it as “learning experience”. 

His candid comment that he hated the director many times, the fact that he was drinking a lot too (with so much stress no wonder, but it also made me think, he likely wasn’t as disciplined yet as he is now, and definitely not as strong, so this whole ordeal was naturally tougher on his body) 

It was so interesting! But there are many parts I couldn’t interpret. Must learn korean! 

P.S I don’t feel too much like watching VH but I want to find the scene he described where he almost drowned

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson @azureblue7 I read the Volcano High article with a translation app and 1) I really need to learn korean 2) I wish JH would write more like this :P

That's exactly what I was thinking- I need to learn Korean! Mostly for his spoken interview. Right now I came across this part of this interview in which JH spoke about the whole army thing, and I wish I could understand what he was saying! I've never seen an interview in which he spoke about that for long. Also, since the way speaks is so special, it seems translations don't come close to convey his actual meaning and tone. So, I need to learn Korean, too!

Wow! It opened my eyes to him a little more. Of course that was young JH, pre girlfriend, pre military service scandal, pre so many things, in a way a “different” person. But this humanized him so much for me. His Volcano High experience sounds like a brutal bootcamp. I guess it traumatized him but also taught him a lot. My heart broke a little when he said he couldn’t go to the hospital, every time he talked about his physical pain but also whenever he expressed guilt for delaying this production and Jungle Juice production. When he said he was in such a condition he didn’t know he’d be able to shoot more. His stress level was immense, the torture was not just physical but psychological. But he took it as “learning experience”. 

His candid comment that he hated the director many times, the fact that he was drinking a lot too (with so much stress no wonder, but it also made me think, he likely wasn’t as disciplined yet as he is now, and definitely not as strong, so this whole ordeal was naturally tougher on his body) 

I can't imagine the amount of pain he probably was in. For sure he had at least bruised or even broken ribs from being slammed against that Bamboo.I wish I understood more cause it seems like he said that as a certain moment he simply collapsed? Something about mud? Just crazy... And that director- I hate him too!

As to his drinking, I think he got disciplined about that kinda recently. I remember he told a story in bar life about how he nearly died because he passed out drunk on the tracks (of a train? I don't remember), and that he woke up at the last moment when he saw the lights of the coming vehicle. I think it's not so much about discipline as it is about Korean culture. I understood that it is considered rude not to drink alcohol when you go out, so maybe he doesn't feel like he has a choice...

Whenever I see an interview with JH's young self, I feel sorry for him, cause he has no idea what he is about to experience! But when I see him acting all cool and hip in some of those early interviews, I thank god he went through those things as they slammed him back to the ground and made him lose that budding attitude! Sorry for him, but not so much :) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AgnesO said:

@Biology Lesson You've reminded me why I like Robbers so much with that clip of Oh Joon.  Personally I feel for one to enjoy Robbers, you've got to focus on his expressions, which changes very subtly from one emotion to another.  I was esp moved in one scene where Oh Joon sat in his car after he had successful cheated the FL of her money.  By that time he had already fallen in love with her but had gone ahead to cheat her anyway because of his circumstances.  The struggle he felt was wonderfully portrayed by JH.  And when he went back to the thugs to take back her money... oh I don't even know how to describe it, but i felt him.  

Robbers hold a special place in my heart because it made me realized the wide acting range of JH and his expressions.  Chuno introduced me to JH, but Robbers is the drama that get me hooked to JH. 

Now I know what to re-watch while waiting for his next project...

I'm kinda fighting myself as to not to rewatch Robbers as I already did a few months ago :)

I agree, that scene of him trying to behave like he always did after his scammed someone and not succeeding is just phenomenal. This is what I love about JH! Those scenes of conflicting emotions! There are so many great scenes in Robbers... Another great scene was the pork soup scene. That was so heartbreaking! and I loved how he broke when Dal Rey called. It made me understand why he fell in love with her and why he needed her, something that Chuno, for instance, never did. This is why I hate Voice, cause Voice never gave me those moments. Never allowed JH to explore the depth of his character. This is why I wish he will get another chance with OHJ, to really explore him.

• Like 1

@Biology Lesson Yes, I agree, but was he really that “hip and cool”? He sounds like he always struggled to me. Like I don’t know if he was actually confident and while he must’ve gotten a lot of encouragement from friends and mentors he also got a lot of scolding and guilt. This director seems to be a special breed of sadist but I feel like this “tough love” kind of thing is part of korean culture too. Jang Hyuk was told by someone in Sidus that he was not “as handsome as Jung Woo Sung, not as funny as Cha Tae Hyun and not as talented as one of the dragon brothers, the one who worked with him in Robbers (forgot his name) therefore he had to work extra to carve his place in the industry. He has also spoken about seniors treating him harshly (hence why he tries to be nice to juniors and I love him for that)  and about having a panic attack while filming Dance of the Dragon. I think he is much more sensitive and anxious that he lets on, he just keeps it inside and endures it (especially in the past) He used to smoke above average levels too (based on an account by a reporter) but he is also someone who is very determined to overcome weaknesses and hardships. He has a very strong will (I want some of that) 

I think his “tough” cool bad boy attitude of his youth was probably just a mask. 

I do feel like he is more confident and at peace now. More comfortable in his own skin. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Yes, I agree, but was he really that “hip and cool”? He sounds like he always struggled to me. Like I don’t know if he was actually confident and while he must’ve gotten a lot of encouragement from friends and mentors he also got a lot of scolding and guilt. This director seems to be a special breed of sadist but I feel like this “tough love” kind of thing is part of korean culture too. Jang Hyuk was told by someone in Sidus that he was not “as handsome as Jung Woo Sung, not as funny as Cha Tae Hyun and not as talented as one of the dragon brothers, the one who worked with him in Robbers (forgot his name) therefore he had to work extra to carve his place in the industry. He has also spoken about seniors treating him harshly (hence why he tries to be nice to juniors and I love him for that)  and about having a panic attack while filming Dance of the Dragon. I think he is much more sensitive and anxious that he lets on, he just keeps it inside and endures it (especially in the past) He used to smoke above average levels too (based on an account by a reporter) but he is also someone who is very determined to overcome weaknesses and hardships. He has a very strong will (I want some of that) 

I do feel like he is more confident and at peace now. 

I think he spoke about how he changed after the army, about not recognizing the guy he was before. He said that in one of the interviews before the army, he literally chased the reporters after the interview ended, telling them that he had more to say! He was shocked by his own behavior, saying something like "who behaves like that?!". I think at the time before the army, even though he was still his shy and sweet self underneath, he was trying to behave like what he thought stars would behave like- remember the story about wearing a sweatshirt with a teddy bear on it to an award show? :). I think he was trying to pretend to be this confident and outgoing guy.  Meaning- he was well on his way to becoming an obnoxious wanna-be star! :) probably that was what led to his decision to cheat his way out of the army... 

As to what he was being told by that person from Sidus- that's plain nasty! Then again, at the time he actually wasn't that handsome... kinda reminded me of a troll in the way his head would constantly be leaning forward and his mouth almost always open... :) I never said this, but I kinda understand why it took his wife so long to warm up to him... him wearing tights in her Pilates lesson probably didn't help :D. But he was persistent, and she was eventually rewarded for being able to see beyond his looks at the time, wasn't she? 

As to his acting, he admitted to being horribly nervous in Model and to messing up a lot, and his teaching coach said that JH was bad in the beginning. I think his nervousness comes from his need to be good at everything he does. He's something of a perfectionist... He is a great demonstration of what hard work can do!

There are many actors that maybe would be considered better actors than him, but that's all they bring to a role. Also, many times great actors tend to be completely empty, which it why they can inhabit any role (remember Kevin Spacey?!).  JH is not empty, obviously. He also brings his insights into a role and his own ideas, which is why he is so much more interesting to me than any other, more "talented", actor. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1