21 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:
Boxing today too...

Bang Won needs to gear up for this week 2nd strife! :joy: Need more practice. 

Folks, I need confirmation that I read the correct thing. Saw some comments at Netflix n Reddit that this drama is 20 episodes but Netflix only showing till ep 16. Correct? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

He always remains true to his original intent of going into acting , like what he shared in this interview in 2007. He is really a born actor.

I never saw this video, thanks for posting!

He's so reserved in this video.. His answers always amaze me with how thoughtful they are. So, even 12 years ago he already knew his acting will change with age and didn't even try to limit himself to a single character. What more can we say about him?! (I'm sure we'll think about something...:relaxed:).

It's always surprising to me to think that the second stage in his career started when he was in his mid 30s. Essentially he had to restart his career when others his age have already been well established. I remember he did a photoshoot with many of the actors his age that I guess are now considered bigger stars. This was before his military service. I guess doing that photoshoot with them indicates that back then he was considered to be in the same status as them. So maybe it was indeed the scandal that changed his trajectory? But not just what happened, but the fact that it really changed who he is and his way of thinking. Add to that that he married soon after his discharge, and you can see how his career went a different way. I personally love where life took him, but it's possible it hurt his status in the entertainment industry in Korea.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Bang Won needs to gear up for this week 2nd strife! :joy: Need more practice. 

Folks, I need confirmation that I read the correct thing. Saw some comments at Netflix that this drama is 20 episodes but Netflix only showing till ep 16. Correct? 

20 episodes?! meaning, six more episodes? about what? The story for the leads has been done in episode 12! Ugh... Does anyone knows if the filming is over already?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Folks, I need confirmation that I read the correct thing. Saw some comments at Netflix n Reddit that this drama is 20 episodes but Netflix only showing till ep 16. Correct? 

Not correct, this drama  has 16 episodes only. Last episode on 23 Nov.

JTBC has already announced next drama 'Chocolate' to premiere on 29 Nov.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I never saw this video, thanks for posting!

He's so reserved in this video.. His answers always amaze me with how thoughtful they are. So, even 12 years ago he already knew his acting will change with age and didn't even try to limit himself to a single character. What more can we say about him?! (I'm sure we'll think about something...:relaxed:).

It's always surprising to me to think that his second stage in his career started when he was in his mid 30s. Essentially he had to restart his career when others his age have already been well established. I remember he did a photoshoot with many of the actors his age that I guess are now considered bigger stars. This was before his military service. I guess doing that photoshoot with them indicates that back then he was considered to be in the same status as them. So maybe it was indeed the scandal that changed his trajectory? But not just what happened, but the fact that it really changed who he is and his way of thinking. Add to that that he married soon after his discharge, and you can see how his career went a different way. I personally love where life took him, but it's possible it hurt his status in the entertainment industry in Korea.

I always feel that the scandal is a blessing in disguise.

Imagine if he had gotten away with it, what sort of a person he would turn out to be? If he had managed to buy himself out of military, would I or would we still respect him the way we do now? Some audience might argue that it isn't a big deal. Not like he committed a grave unpardonable crime. Technically he didn't, but is he being fair to the other celebrities who served military and it would reflect badly on his integrity too, if he had got away with it.

Of course at that moment and moments after that, it did hurt his career and reputation somehow somewhat. Netizens are unforgiving people. They can put him on a pedestal and they can also blast him down. But so many years had past since 2004, the sentiments is not as raw as it was before. But it was said that when he did Real Men, it reopened old wound as in netizens remembered his dodging of the military.  

This man sure had his fair share of criticisms from netizens. From dodging military to baby before marriage. I read that during Chuno, many netizens were interested to know his personal story. It sort of died down after a while but re ignited again during FTLY, people started to dig his history again. I am quite sure it will happen again this time due to his portrayal of Bang Won. 

What makes me admire him is his courage to admit his wrongdoings. Not many actors will do that and will find ways to cover up but JH didn't. He admitted that was his mistake and blamed no one although it was speculated that this cannot be his idea alone. I also admire his courage to not hide about his marital status and not like some actors who will hide their marital status. But can't blame those actors too, some fans are really crazy. All you need is 1 delusional fan commit suicide and you're done for - guilty in the mind. 

In an interview JH said, that being a married man is good for his acting as he sees things from different point of view and from different angles, different perspective. It actually helped his work. So although the scandal is a thorn in the flesh but at the end of the day, those thorns made him the man all of us here love and admire. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

18 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Not correct, this drama  has 16 episodes only. Last episode on 23 Nov.

JTBC has already announced next drama 'Chocolate' to premiere on 29 Nov.

Thanks! When I read it, I was like !!!! If it is true, cutting 4 episodes! How on earth did those people over there say is 20 eps?? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I always feel that the scandal is a blessing in disguise.

Imagine if he had gotten away with it, what sort of a person he would turn out to be? If he had managed to buy himself out of military, would I or would we still respect him the way we do now? Some audience might argue that it isn't a big deal. Not like he committed a grave unpardonable crime. Technically he didn't, but is he being fair to the other celebrities who served military and it would reflect badly on his integrity too, if he had got away with it.

I also agree that it was a blessing. To this day I can't watch any of his projects from before the army. His body language and mannerisms were so different. For me, that guy was a completely different actor. The change that JH underwent during the army, both mentally and physically, is what led to me being a fan, for sure. I don't think that that guy could have produced performances like we got after he was discharge. I don't think that that level of depth and maturity would have been there.

So, if that means he's not considered top tier actor today due to that- so be it. I'm more than fine with most of the projects he did and does today.

But, since I don't know what goes on in Korea, the question for me is - how is he regarded nowadays by the entertainment industry and the Korean public?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

To this day I can't watch any of his projects from before the army. His body language and mannerisms were so different. For me, that guy was a completely different actor.

I watched SSBG and part of Volcano High and he was awful with the yellow hair! His acting was...I found his acting too much exaggeration. But given that he was only in his late 20s, there was surely room for improvement. Hahaha! 

6 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

The change that JH underwent during the army, both mentally and physically, is what led to me being a fan, for sure. I don't think that that guy could have produced performances like we got after he was discharge. I don't think that that level of depth and maturity would have been there.

He had said that he read widely in the military. He read many books including his famous sexual book. What is the title now? And he pondered deeply too. Physically he was kept fit by those regimental training/exercises and mentally he gained wisdom through those books (including the sexual one), through deep thoughts and like what we discussed before, the whole saga brought him back to reality, how he realised he had not been called his real name for over many years. Rediscovering the person he is supposed to be and not the person of JH. So what does his parents call him then if he hasn't heard his real name being called for over many years?

20 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

So, if that means he's not considered top tier actor today due to that- so be it. I'm more than fine with most of the projects he did and does today.

But, since I don't know what goes on in Korea, the question for me is - how is he regarded nowadays by the entertainment industry and the Korean public?

With the exception of MC? Hahaha! You are still not enjoying it? 

I think the general public sees him as a good actor, hardworking, humble and has good personality. That's my guess. So far we haven't come across any one bad mouth him. And that is good enough. 

But allow me to voice my displeasure, I get annoyed when people tries to imitate him the way he speaks. To me, it is disrespect.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, budgerie said:

But allow me to voice my displeasure, I get annoyed when people tries to imitate him the way he speaks. To me, it is disrespect.   

Yes I don't like it too. I never finds it funny. 

• Like 4

@Prettysup @azureblue7You both have stuff at your fingertips always. :grimace:Do you have the subtitles for these? I have searched high and low but I can't find the sub. Or anyone knows where to find subtitles for these? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80KggjgNP2I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo8P-ouExgA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3aebDDMd84

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Looks like we've got the official English title of the new OCN drama. I like this version, it seems to be a line spoken by the profiler :)

This hair is good for the drama! Lol. This title sounds nicer too as compared to Call It Like You See It. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, budgerie said:

@Prettysup @azureblue7You both have stuff at your fingertips always. :grimace:Do you have the subtitles for these? I have searched high and low but I can't find the sub. Or anyone knows where to find subtitles for these? 

No sorry I seldom search to watch his old stuffs. I haven’t even watched Real Man. I’m a bad fan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

No sorry I seldom search to watch his old stuffs. I haven’t even watched Real Man. I’m a bad fan. 

Not at all....I think you are fantastic. You start every thread of his drama and movie. You keep us updated. That is alot of work!! Thank you for those! I am vexed just looking for these subtitles. :sleepy: 

• Like 2

@budgerie @Biology Lesson I agree with many points you make. I remember when he decided to do Real Men, it was at the beginning of my fangirling. My korean friend was in panic saying, why is he doing this? He is only going to revive the scandal! His korean fans were very worried. To me, personally, being ignorant of the importance of military service in Korea I was like, is it such a big deal? Well it was and there will still be people who never forgive him for that (decision wasn’t only his, the agency had a lot to with it, but in their eyes he is not exempt of responsibility) But in the end it was brave and smart decision to do Real Men. It was a way to confront the situation, owning up to it and I think many people respect him for that. 

About his older projects, I kinda wish you felt the curiosity to at least watch scenes of Great Ambition/ Daemang or Into the Sunlight. He was not a bad actor and he was cute. He just needed a good role and good direction. The expressiveness and charisma was already there. You are judging him from SSBG and Volcano High which were OTT but that’s like judging him from only FTLY or only Voice, which many people do btw. A guy who is so versatile shouldn’t be judged for one work only. This is not to say he hasn’t evolved but his talent was already there (imo) 

• Like 5

I have been reading all comments here everyday and I must admit that I learned so much about JH through these comments. I find myself nodding in agreement to each comment here and it is very satisfying to know that all of us here have a consistent view and perception of JH. 

I mentioned it before - I came to know JH only this year when I chanced upon FTLY. He didn't appeal to me immediately, partially because it took me a few episodes to truly admire his looks and somehow I have been drawn towards him since. I guess it was a little slow start as he isn't exactly a typical young actor in a romantic drama. He look matured compared to other actors but yet I couldn't help but develop strong attraction over the episodes and have been a fan ever since.

One of the reasons I like him is because he is married with a family. I admire and like him more for choosing to have a normal life outside of work. I believe it is a waste of fine actors who chose to dedicate themselves to just their fans/ acting. It is great that JH recognizes he wants to have a wife to settle down with and a family to go home to. I love knowing that he can have the best of both worlds  between a career in this industry and a real family to love and be loved. I ship him & wife (despite not knowing much about her except for the few known facts through his interviews). Till now, I really admire his wife for being able to continue staying away from the limelight because if I were her, I will need to let the world know that I am the WIFE of JH!

I agree with the comments / analysis of JH - his perspective on acting, on work beliefs, on supporting roles. As a veteran actor, i believe he knows what roles he want to do next, when is his next project, etc. Therefore, let's not worry about him. Furthermore, I am sure he is financially stable - the building he owns should provide good rental income steadily.

I haven't watched any of his work prior to FTLY. I think sub consciously I find him much more good looking and attractive as he ages. Why go back to watch a young JH when the current JH is much better looking? In fact, do you all recall the tap dancing scene of that drama years ago where he asked the director to add a dance scene so that he can have an excuse to talk to his then gf? I thought he look a little fat and not so good looking then compared to him now. Yet he must have his charms to wi  his wife's  heart. I believe the military played a strong role in helping him lose the baby fat and tone his body to what we love to see now.

Keep up the thread as I look forward to reading your comments every day!

• Like 4